Pretty Boy Floyd R.I.P.

As it says on the tin. Contains the In Memoriam, birthday greetings and splicing announcements of this community.
C
Robust

Re: Pretty Boy Floyd R.I.P.

Postby C » 28 Aug 2008, 22:26

So very very sad

Condolences to his family

Stephen
neville harp wrote:God bless you brother C x

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 28 Aug 2008, 22:33

Nick wrote:I was just looking at some of his posts from the last few days he was posting on here in early July. Nothing there to indicate anything untoward going on at all, he looked as animated and garrulous as ever. Very strange, and sad.

I did the same thing, and feel the same way.

It's terribly, terribly sad.

slightbreeze
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby slightbreeze » 28 Aug 2008, 22:39

Dear me, this is terrible. I never met the man personally, but his threads were always stimulating and knowledgeable. RIP.

Tonto Papadopoulos
Utter Cad

Postby Tonto Papadopoulos » 28 Aug 2008, 22:54

Ali enjoying the Wylie Monologues just as much as everyone else.

I've been thinking about that night in Darlington a lot today. It was a happy occasion for so many reasons. I hadn't seen Footy or ALB for ages so it was great to catch up with them. It was the first time I'd met Fartpants too, as I recall, but it was like we'd been having a pint every week in the same pub for donkey's years. And then there was Ali. It was the first time he'd ever met anyone from BCB and he confessed to being a bit nervous as he walked into the pub, just like myself six or so years ago, but - like myself - he soon felt completely at ease and clearly had a great time. He was lively and witty and very keen to discuss music in his usual passionate way but also to find out more about the arcane in-jokes and idiosyncrasies of our little community. I remember the night as a very humorous and good-natured one. A band of brothers united by a passion for pop music and an enormous generosity of spirit. There was a great sense of belonging.

I'm sure that Ali did have that sense of belonging. He knew he had many friends on here. Sadly, that just wasn't enough for him in the end.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony

Postby The Prof » 28 Aug 2008, 23:32

The Airborne Toxic Giraffe wrote:I hadn't seen Footy or ALB for ages so it was great to catch up with them.

Aye, looks like it!

On a more practical note, it seems that if you contribute to the Samaritans on an individual basis from the UK on that site they can claim a 25% tax addition

Heilan Coo
The Communist Charles Hawtrey

Postby Heilan Coo » 28 Aug 2008, 23:33

Sensemeliawopnibop wrote:Dave also suggested we should have the next York jolly up in his honour too?...I'm sure the Three Legged Mare would be accommodating under the circumstances...we did put a few hundred behind their bar at that jolly up and I remember Ali was gutted when he found out we all got a free drink...as he offered to drive Loonybin and Fartpants home...he said he'd never had a free drink off a landlord before.

I'd ceratinly attend.

That's a really good idea, Jane. Of course, we'd be there. Perhaps if anyone's got any ideas on this one, I could speak to the folk at the Mare and see what can be done?
savoirfaire wrote:They are extremely cuddly, to the point where I think I was literally molested by a few of them. I completely understand how the farmer-goat relationships must happen.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 28 Aug 2008, 23:35

Thanks for that Andy. That's a beautiful post, of course there's no way we can escape the sadness of what has happened, but I really appreciate the memories of those who met Ali.

Beno

Postby Beno » 28 Aug 2008, 23:55

What absolutely dreadful news and my heart goes out to his family.

I never met him personally but the enthusism with which he investigated new (to him) bands made him stand out to me. I often had doubts about the bands he was investigating but always enjoyed his posts. It can't compare to his family's loss of course but he will be sorely missed on here.

Show Biz Kids

Postby Show Biz Kids » 29 Aug 2008, 00:32

martha wrote:This is all just so terribly sad. I can't help myself thinking that if I'd only known, if any of us had known, we'd have all done anything we could for him. I keep wishing that we could have interceded. It's such a shame, and such a loss. I can't stop crying.

Absolutely.
Although I see to remember a thread that was out around the turn of the year. It may well have been started by Ali himself (it may well have been earlier of course, and on top of that the exact specifics are vague...) concerning getting off anti-depressants, which prompted to me to share a couple of PMs with him concerning how a friend of mine had weened themselves off of them and utilized a particular program (with a high success rate) in their attempt to treat and (and ultimately) beat anxiety/depression. Those 2 after all are things which are so closely inter-linked, although I fully recognise the 'uniqueness' for want of a better term behind everyone's depression.
Although I don't interact in the close-knit BCB "community" that is clearly here between many on a personal level, the wish to have, like you say, interceded or helped more in some way just fills me beyond belief. But like I said before, my thoughts are with his family. When good people go, it hurts like hell...

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 29 Aug 2008, 01:04

clive gash wrote:
reading through the names and comments there is heartbreaking, but what an impression he made on those he knew.

Yes that is the only thing I cling on to. We are never alone and our being and love spread out to others, even though sometimes we don't always realise it. I guess that is the ultimate tragedy. But we need to remember we are never alone.

Tonto Papadopoulos
Utter Cad

Postby Tonto Papadopoulos » 29 Aug 2008, 01:34

I firmly believe that one of the most important aspects of any life is the mark you make. I've suffered from depression myself in the past (and, in some ways, it's still there, lurking still) but I realised a long time ago that I tend to define myself by the friendships I have as much as anything else. I find self-worth in how others view me as much as from my own concept of self. I'm not completely self-contained and I'm glad I'm not. I'd hate to be a complete arsehole.

Alistair had so much to offer. He was a good and kind person and he had a positive impact on many around him, certainly on this board - this thread proves that much. It may well be that BCB was a respite for him. A chance to escape what he saw as the reality of his situation. I can certainly remember retreating to here five years ago when my personal life was falling apart. You'd have thought, five years ago, I was the happiest guy in the world, reading my jokey/passionate/flippant/celebratory posts. The truth was, this place was a refuge for me as much as anything else. Somewhere I could forget who I really was at the time.

Maybe Ali was the same, or at least similar. It's patently obvious he had his inner demons - he was quite open about it on numerous occasions - and yet his general demeanour on here was combative, humorous, matey, self-assured, generous....

I'm rambling (it's been a tough day for me). hopefully, there's some sense in what I've tried to say.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that any life is a balance between what you perceive yourself to be and what you are to others. Ideally, you have both a confidence in yourself and a humility and a consideration for others.

You know, I can't quite express what I mean.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

The Obliging Fairy
former fairy

Postby The Obliging Fairy » 29 Aug 2008, 01:58

The Airborne Toxic Giraffe wrote:You know, I can't quite express what I mean.

It doesn't matter, mate. It's the way you tried to anyway.
they are both nice albums, hurt by the weight of becoming crate digger bait (zphage)

king feeb
He's the consultant of swing

Postby king feeb » 29 Aug 2008, 02:39

Don't worry Andy, I think you expressed it really well.

Maybe this was the only place he felt like he could really relax, unwind and share thoughts with like-minded people. I know I feel that way sometimes.

I always enjoyed his droll, understated, very English sense of humour. Recently, this cracked me up when I read it at work:

Pretty Boy Floyd wrote:I'm noticing that the taller the BCBer, the better their overall taste in music. An interesting trend. Because in most record stores, the cool stuff is on the top shelf specially for the tall folk. The shorter people do not even know it exists.

He's really missed. :cry:
You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

Andrew Lou Goldman
Footy gives me a boner

Postby Andrew Lou Goldman » 29 Aug 2008, 02:40

I didn't know the man at all and had very little interaction with him, but I always enjoyed his posts and this is an extremely sad turn of events.

Condolences to his family, everyone here and all of those close to him.

Clarkophile

Postby Clarkophile » 29 Aug 2008, 04:25

Like everyone else I've been completely floored by this news. At first I avoided the temptation to go back and look through Ali's posts, but finally gave in, and I'm glad I did. I must say I found some measure of comfort in his wit.

Even though I've only been a member since January, I always looked forward to Ali's posts. And I'll miss him too.

If anyone from his family should see this, I offer my sincerest condolences.

ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 29 Aug 2008, 06:03

Just saw this
really sad
I'm in tears as reading all this
:(
never/ever wrote:the BCB-universe...may it continue to piss Coan off ad infinitum.

Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!

La Denim

Postby La Denim » 29 Aug 2008, 08:12

Tom Violence wrote:Ronaldo.

What a fucking cunt. He has everything. Rooney...has the decency to be ugly and not very bright. So i don't mind him being a better footballer than me, having a fitter girlfriend, being loaded. But Ronaldo...is rich, famous, talented, good-looking...he makes me sick.

Tom Violence wrote:
Betty Denim wrote:Urgh...Ronaldo is NOT good looking. He looks like a waxwork of the Fonz that´s been stored in a kebab shop for ten years. He is a cunt though.

That's good to know :D

Our last exchange, I think.

I'd never seen a photo of him I don't think, until now, and god love him, he was gorgeous and a million times better in every way (with the possible exception of footballing skills) than someone he had no need to be jealous of. I hope he really did know that.

petulant clarksville

Postby petulant clarksville » 29 Aug 2008, 10:33

If BCB ever got it together enough to make some kind of book containing pieces on music and the way it makes us feel, we should dedicate it to him. And get it printed ourselves and sold on Amazon and the money go to the Samaritans.

The Great DeFector

Postby The Great DeFector » 29 Aug 2008, 20:13

This is still crazy that this has happened to Ali but I think he would of loved all these posts. I felt that it was getting abit too sentimental and that he might of wanted some funny quotes in there and some people duly obliged which was cool and needed. It’s probably the Irish in me but an Irish wake has a few laughs as well as cries when celebrating the memory of someone. I hope Jane’s letter got to his ma and da and they read this thread if possible.
I also think/would like to suggest that there should be A time when we move this thread to classic or somewhere for a sense of closure. Doing this does not mean that we will ever forget him but sort of help us move on. If anyone feels the need they can always go visit this thread when they feel the need to.

Prez!
Stern Victorian Ponce

Postby Prez! » 29 Aug 2008, 20:40

Been away for a few days, on holiday & just seen this.
Never met the man before, but this is sad news.
RIP, mate.