Pretty Boy Floyd R.I.P.

As it says on the tin. Contains the In Memoriam, birthday greetings and splicing announcements of this community.
The Modernist

Re: Pretty Boy Floyd R.I.P.

Postby The Modernist » 28 Aug 2008, 23:35

Thanks for that Andy. That's a beautiful post, of course there's no way we can escape the sadness of what has happened, but I really appreciate the memories of those who met Ali.

Beno

Postby Beno » 28 Aug 2008, 23:55

What absolutely dreadful news and my heart goes out to his family.

I never met him personally but the enthusism with which he investigated new (to him) bands made him stand out to me. I often had doubts about the bands he was investigating but always enjoyed his posts. It can't compare to his family's loss of course but he will be sorely missed on here.

Show Biz Kids

Postby Show Biz Kids » 29 Aug 2008, 00:32

martha wrote:This is all just so terribly sad. I can't help myself thinking that if I'd only known, if any of us had known, we'd have all done anything we could for him. I keep wishing that we could have interceded. It's such a shame, and such a loss. I can't stop crying.

Absolutely.
Although I see to remember a thread that was out around the turn of the year. It may well have been started by Ali himself (it may well have been earlier of course, and on top of that the exact specifics are vague...) concerning getting off anti-depressants, which prompted to me to share a couple of PMs with him concerning how a friend of mine had weened themselves off of them and utilized a particular program (with a high success rate) in their attempt to treat and (and ultimately) beat anxiety/depression. Those 2 after all are things which are so closely inter-linked, although I fully recognise the 'uniqueness' for want of a better term behind everyone's depression.
Although I don't interact in the close-knit BCB "community" that is clearly here between many on a personal level, the wish to have, like you say, interceded or helped more in some way just fills me beyond belief. But like I said before, my thoughts are with his family. When good people go, it hurts like hell...

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 29 Aug 2008, 01:04

clive gash wrote:
reading through the names and comments there is heartbreaking, but what an impression he made on those he knew.

Yes that is the only thing I cling on to. We are never alone and our being and love spread out to others, even though sometimes we don't always realise it. I guess that is the ultimate tragedy. But we need to remember we are never alone.

The Obliging Fairy
former fairy

Postby The Obliging Fairy » 29 Aug 2008, 01:58

The Airborne Toxic Giraffe wrote:You know, I can't quite express what I mean.

It doesn't matter, mate. It's the way you tried to anyway.
my attention span, or thereabouts

king feeb
He's the consultant of swing

Postby king feeb » 29 Aug 2008, 02:39

Don't worry Andy, I think you expressed it really well.

Maybe this was the only place he felt like he could really relax, unwind and share thoughts with like-minded people. I know I feel that way sometimes.

I always enjoyed his droll, understated, very English sense of humour. Recently, this cracked me up when I read it at work:

Pretty Boy Floyd wrote:I'm noticing that the taller the BCBer, the better their overall taste in music. An interesting trend. Because in most record stores, the cool stuff is on the top shelf specially for the tall folk. The shorter people do not even know it exists.

He's really missed. :cry:
You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

Andrew Lou Goldman
Footy gives me a boner

Postby Andrew Lou Goldman » 29 Aug 2008, 02:40

I didn't know the man at all and had very little interaction with him, but I always enjoyed his posts and this is an extremely sad turn of events.

Condolences to his family, everyone here and all of those close to him.

Clarkophile

Postby Clarkophile » 29 Aug 2008, 04:25

Like everyone else I've been completely floored by this news. At first I avoided the temptation to go back and look through Ali's posts, but finally gave in, and I'm glad I did. I must say I found some measure of comfort in his wit.

Even though I've only been a member since January, I always looked forward to Ali's posts. And I'll miss him too.

If anyone from his family should see this, I offer my sincerest condolences.

ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 29 Aug 2008, 06:03

Just saw this
really sad
I'm in tears as reading all this
:(
Charlie O. wrote:I think Coan and Googa are right.

Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!

La Denim

Postby La Denim » 29 Aug 2008, 08:12

Tom Violence wrote:Ronaldo.

What a fucking cunt. He has everything. Rooney...has the decency to be ugly and not very bright. So i don't mind him being a better footballer than me, having a fitter girlfriend, being loaded. But Ronaldo...is rich, famous, talented, good-looking...he makes me sick.

Tom Violence wrote:
Betty Denim wrote:Urgh...Ronaldo is NOT good looking. He looks like a waxwork of the Fonz that´s been stored in a kebab shop for ten years. He is a cunt though.

That's good to know :D

Our last exchange, I think.

I'd never seen a photo of him I don't think, until now, and god love him, he was gorgeous and a million times better in every way (with the possible exception of footballing skills) than someone he had no need to be jealous of. I hope he really did know that.

petulant clarksville

Postby petulant clarksville » 29 Aug 2008, 10:33

If BCB ever got it together enough to make some kind of book containing pieces on music and the way it makes us feel, we should dedicate it to him. And get it printed ourselves and sold on Amazon and the money go to the Samaritans.

The Great DeFector

Postby The Great DeFector » 29 Aug 2008, 20:13

This is still crazy that this has happened to Ali but I think he would of loved all these posts. I felt that it was getting abit too sentimental and that he might of wanted some funny quotes in there and some people duly obliged which was cool and needed. It’s probably the Irish in me but an Irish wake has a few laughs as well as cries when celebrating the memory of someone. I hope Jane’s letter got to his ma and da and they read this thread if possible.
I also think/would like to suggest that there should be A time when we move this thread to classic or somewhere for a sense of closure. Doing this does not mean that we will ever forget him but sort of help us move on. If anyone feels the need they can always go visit this thread when they feel the need to.

Prez!
Stern Victorian Ponce

Postby Prez! » 29 Aug 2008, 20:40

Been away for a few days, on holiday & just seen this.
Never met the man before, but this is sad news.
RIP, mate.

Evil Dave
The 2nd most evil man in Cumbria.

Postby Evil Dave » 29 Aug 2008, 20:45

I don't post that often and I'm not particularly good at this, but
These past few days have been so upsetting, I know Jane (Sensi) is feeling just as sad if not worse than me, the mood in our house is really sombre, we have had no music on at all, the TV is switched off, our two boys have been really considerate in that although they don't know him they are aware that their parents have been affected by the passing of a young man called Alastair.

I’m a hardened shipyard worker allegedly, have been for over 26 years, now this is a tough environment where men are not weak, where men don’t have problems and where men certainly don’t cry.
These days I work in an office and fortunately this week I’m alone in that office. I say fortunately, because I’m crumbling, tears well up in my eyes throughout the day and I have to struggle and try to compose myself when somebody knocks on the door.

If I hadn’t met Ali in person would if I feel quite as upset as I do?

York Jolly Up March 15th 2008
All we had was a quiet chat in a corner, just me and Ali, for about 25 minutes, it was like talking into the mirror, not that we looked alike, god no, I looked like a fortysomething vagrant that had just walked in off the street whereas he was a fresh faced handsome young man with an athletic physique. But he reminded me of how I was when I was about his age, very quiet, occasionally stuttering and stammering through the conversation, not making too much eye contact and just that bit of nervousness when meeting new company. To me he had an instant likeability. He talked with passion and entheusiasm for the the music he liked and promised to send me some stuff he thought I might like. I mentioned that it was really good of him to drive ALB and Fartpants down from Teeside, he said he didn't mind not having a drink and he loved driving it's what he did for a living anyway. When the time came for the Teesiders to leave I remember saying that it was lovely to meet him and looked forward the the next time we'd get together.

Regardless of what kind of music he championed or what his views were on any given subject, I would defy anybody that met him not to realise that he was a genuinely lovely lad.
It’s still really upsetting to me and its such a tragic waste.

Just to add these are not just sentiments on reflection after the terrible news we received this week, these are the thoughts and feelings I expressed to Jane the day after meeting Ali in york.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 29 Aug 2008, 21:35

incredibly upsetting, even more so when reading the touching memories of those that met him.

the two pictures posted by molony joy and evil dave are extremely poignant.

how fragile the human psyche is...

Johnny Fartpants

Postby Johnny Fartpants » 29 Aug 2008, 21:36

I was going to post this last night, but I'd been drinking and I thought maybe I was just being a sad, maudlin old bastard, but I'm still thinking about it today ...

I was out in Manchester last night. On my own as usual, but I know a few good pubs and I don't mind my own company. I was already feeling a bit emotional for obvious reasons, and having just had a text and voicemail exchange with Griff, who had told me that things were looking much more positive for Natalia. I had probably already had about 3 or 4 pints, and I was sitting in a small pub called Cask on Liverpool Road, which has that oh so rare combination these days of decent beer and a cracking jukebox.

So I was sitting in the corner by myself, trying not to think too much and listening to the music ... when Transmission by Joy Division came on. I love that song anyway, probably my favourite Joy Division song. But when you think of what Ian Curtis did to himself ... the combination of that song, and the poignancy of the moment ...

I had to leave the pub. It is just such a waste.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 30 Aug 2008, 00:07

Evil Dave wrote:I don't post that often and I'm not particularly good at this, but
These past few days have been so upsetting, I know Jane (Sensi) is feeling just as sad if not worse than me, the mood in our house is really sombre, we have had no music on at all, the TV is switched off, our two boys have been really considerate in that although they don't know him they are aware that their parents have been affected by the passing of a young man called Alastair.

I’m a hardened shipyard worker allegedly, have been for over 26 years, now this is a tough environment where men are not weak, where men don’t have problems and where men certainly don’t cry.
These days I work in an office and fortunately this week I’m alone in that office. I say fortunately, because I’m crumbling, tears well up in my eyes throughout the day and I have to struggle and try to compose myself when somebody knocks on the door.

All we had was a quiet chat in a corner, just me and Ali, for about 25 minutes, it was like talking into the mirror, not that we looked alike, god no, I looked like a fortysomething vagrant that had just walked in off the street whereas he was a fresh faced handsome young man with an athletic physique. But he reminded me of how I was when I was about his age, very quiet, occasionally stuttering and stammering through the conversation, not making too much eye contact and just that bit of nervousness when meeting new company. To me he had an instant likeability. He talked with passion and entheusiasm for the the music he liked and promised to send me some stuff he thought I might like. I mentioned that it was really good of him to drive ALB and Fartpants down from Teeside, he said he didn't mind not having a drink and he loved driving it's what he did for a living anyway. When the time came for the Teesiders to leave I remember saying that it was lovely to meet him and looked forward the the next time we'd get together.

Regardless of what kind of music he championed or what his views were on any given subject, I would defy anybody that met him not to realise that he was a genuinely lovely lad.

Just to add these are not just sentiments on reflection after the terrible news we received this week, these are the thoughts and feelings I expressed to Jane the day after meeting Ali in york.

Dave - thank you for that absolutely lovely post.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Jock

Postby Jock » 30 Aug 2008, 00:58

Dave and Mark. You say what I'm feeling. I just don't have the words.
Always Cheated Never Defeated

Jock

Postby Jock » 30 Aug 2008, 01:02

Evil Dave wrote:I don't post that often and I'm not particularly good at this, but

Always Cheated Never Defeated

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 30 Aug 2008, 02:03

Oh sweet Jesus.
Horrific.
:cry:
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Return to “Births, Marriages & Deaths”