Another board loss: RIP Mr. Slater's Parrot

As it says on the tin. Contains the In Memoriam, birthday greetings and splicing announcements of this community.
eelpie62
carpetbagger

Another board loss: RIP Mr. Slater's Parrot

Postby eelpie62 » 28 Aug 2006, 15:56

He was the first of the Mojo folk that I ever met, a few years ago in New Orleans. In fact, he's the second "internet person" I ever met, my wife being the first.
I know some of you (T. Berry for certain) have chatted with him. He never really took to BCB after the great Mojo migration. While on Mojo, however, he impressed me by thinking my jokes were funny and generally being a decent sort. Those who were part of the Mojo>DD.com invasion will remember him has "badly overdrawn boy".
He and I had stayed on duranduran.com well after the Great Invasion of Ought-One and struck up some friendships there. You may know that this is how I met my wife.
Anyway, he and a pal of his from Preston met up with some DD.com folk and were driving across the south east of the US. We all met in N.O. and had a wonderful time. Two of the people we met up with, one from London the other from Orlando FL. had also met on that forum and also got married (coincidentaly the same weekend I got married).
He was a great person, very generous with sharing music. I have looked forward to seeing him again: he made regualr trips over to the US and in fact was planning on another trip next month. I have a pile of music sitting in my study waiting to send his way. So, tonight it's a bit of N.O. rum and a healthy mix of Bonzo Dog Band, The Gits and C-Average for me.
I'm in a state of total shock, I just recieved this email from one of the DD.com folk:
CarrieUK from dd.com wrote:It's Carrie. I'm afraid I have some sad news to share. I've just received a call from the UK and was told that David passed away. I have no details yet. We were told that his Mom found him this morning as she was checking on him since she'd not seen him yet that morning. Her thoughts were that he'd passed sometime during the night.

Obviously we are all in shock and are feeling a terrible loss. When I have details I will pass them to you.

I don't know what else to say. This was the last thing I expected to find in my gmail box this morning.
Last edited by eelpie62 on 28 Aug 2006, 17:13, edited 1 time in total.
"Nuts"
~ Anthony McAuliffe, December 22, 1944

T. Berry Shuffle
sharp-eyed archivist

Postby T. Berry Shuffle » 28 Aug 2006, 17:02

That is terrible news. We had a blast as the forward assault force in the Durannie wars. It was Mr. Slater's Parrot, Mog, Eelpie and Myself mucking around and raising sheer chaos. I kept ducking into the various threads posting the release date for a certain horrible YES album and praising the hallucinogenic results of huffing aquanet. While Dave begged me to have some restraint and simultaneously laughing his ass off. I don't think they ever quite knew what hit them.

I got to meet Dave in St. Augustine and we had a grand time. I remember that we went to a Mexican restaurant. He had never eaten Mexican food before so he didn't know what to order. When his fajitas came out they kept stacking plates in front of him. We nearly shat himself. He kept saying "I don’t know what it is or what it's called but it's not fucking bad and they give you plenty of it!"

He was a prince. I'm going to have to dig out the Half Man Half Biscuit he gave me and give it another spin.
You read that in a book, didn't you?!

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 28 Aug 2006, 17:05

This is very sad news. My condolences to his family and friends.
[indistinct chatter]

Geoff
Abba Fan

Postby Geoff » 28 Aug 2006, 17:24

Our deepest sympathies to family & friends.

Geoff & Deb
megeoff.blogspot.ca

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 28 Aug 2006, 17:33

I never met him, but remember him fondly.

What a horrible thing for a mum to have to face! My thoughts are with her.

RIP, David.

Billy

Postby Billy » 28 Aug 2006, 18:08

I was really saddened to hear this.

My deepest sympathies go out to his family.

marksbird

Postby marksbird » 28 Aug 2006, 18:29

David is truly going to be missed! It has been the hardest morning for me knowing how many people there were to contact to pass on the news. David truly spread his wings over many sites and all of them enjoyed every bit of time he spent there.

Jamie I was so glad to have met you when we went to St. Augustine. David has talked about that so many times and had always hoped to meet up again. I've used your posting tactics many times (useless information in a drama thread) and have recounted the laughs we all had at the restaurant.

Thank goodness for memories. My heart is truly saddened. There simply aren't appropriate words.

Carrie

Grollope
Barred from the Eisteddfod

Postby Grollope » 28 Aug 2006, 18:29

He was a good friend of Prairie Rose back in the Mojo days - I'm sure they met up at some DD tour. They both moved to BCB but didn't stay for very long. I've sent Prairie Rose an e-mail to break the news.

He was from or near Preston, but I never met him at any of the North-West JUs.

My sympathies to his family and friends.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-C2Ar4gpi8

Jimbo wrote: my gay friend told me all one has to do is take half. Sounds sensible. Try it.

Copehead wrote: they are choosing to monitor butt hose

Billybob Dylan
Bonehead

Postby Billybob Dylan » 28 Aug 2006, 19:28

The Smamfy wrote:I don't believe our paths ever crossed, but this still makes me sad.

Me too.
"I've been reduced to thruppence!"

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 28 Aug 2006, 19:37

Rest in music, David.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Six String

Postby Six String » 28 Aug 2006, 19:41

I seem to remember the name, but I don't think I ever had any interaction with him. Still, very sad to have another member step on a rainbow so soon after Stu.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 28 Aug 2006, 19:52

I remember Mr. Slater's Parrot from way back when on the Mojo boards, although we never interacted much.

This is really sad news.

My thought are with his family and friends. :(
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 28 Aug 2006, 21:07

I remember him well from the early Mojo board days, and his uproarious presence during the Duran wars.

And now he's gone to join the choir invisible.

How terribly sad.
My sincere condolences to any of his friends and relations who drop by here.
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

Bucolic Old Sir Henry
Trufficulteur

Postby Bucolic Old Sir Henry » 28 Aug 2006, 21:23

Condolences from Old Scrotum, The Wrinkled Retainer.

Pip pip!
Limestone Hills/Hot Topic
"She had a snake for a pet, and an amulet,
And she was breeding a dwarf, but it wasn't done yet."

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 28 Aug 2006, 22:44

Very sorry to hear this.

Marquis de Scarborough
Not Nobility

Postby Marquis de Scarborough » 28 Aug 2006, 22:59

While not someone whose path I ever crossed it's always very sad to hear things like this.

My thoughts to all his friends and family.
GoatBoy wrote: Honestly, if Angelina Jolie had a Wolverhampton accent I think I’d have to restrict her to just a blow job.

Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough...

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 28 Aug 2006, 23:33

We had a bit of a PM conversation going when I put the last but one montage together.

RIP.

John_K
driven by lists

Postby John_K » 29 Aug 2006, 00:29

RIP

Surprising sad to loose two members in such a short space of time.

Our paths never crossed, but in times like these my thoughts are with him and his...

J

Livet
'progressively malty'

Postby Livet » 29 Aug 2006, 01:05

What sad news.

My condolences to his family and friends.
The crazy music drives you insane

Phil T

Postby Phil T » 29 Aug 2006, 07:13

That's just awful, awful sad news.
My condolences to his family and friends.

:(

Return to “Births, Marriages & Deaths”