Stu (Vieira)

As it says on the tin. Contains the In Memoriam, birthday greetings and splicing announcements of this community.
souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 10 Aug 2006, 19:27

Evil Dave wrote:At work I can't log on and this was the last post that Stu made, for those of us that can't log on.

It's very poignant.

Taken from the 'Are You a Collector or a Listener' thread, it literally had me in tears in my office.

Vieira wrote:You can be both.

I am lucky, in that I work for myself - 12 hours a day, so I play music all day. I can't say that there is one CD I haven't listened to (but some of them only once, and never again.)

So far, I have 6000 CDs and 2000 books. They will all go to my daughter. If she doesn't like them, so what? At least she's been exposed to some culture (bearing in mind I'm unlikely to take her to the ballet or the opera before Ashburton Grove.)

And she can sell them and go travelling.

RIP

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

JQW

Postby JQW » 10 Aug 2006, 19:30

SoupHound wrote:
Evil Dave wrote:At work I can't log on and this was the last post that Stu made, for those of us that can't log on.

It's very poignant.

Taken from the 'Are You a Collector or a Listener' thread, it literally had me in tears in my office.

I am lucky, in that I work for myself - 12 hours a day, so I play music all day. I can't say that there is one CD I haven't listened to (but some of them only once, and never again.)

So far, I have 6000 CDs and 2000 books. They will all go to my daughter. If she doesn't like them, so what? At least she's been exposed to some culture (bearing in mind I'm unlikely to take her to the ballet or the opera before Ashburton Grove.)

RIP

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Even sadder when he probably never got to go to Ashburton Grove (Aresenal's new stadium) either. Sniff!
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell

DQ

Postby DQ » 10 Aug 2006, 19:30

It's quite something isn't it?.....this response I mean. Traditionally, it's so difficult to express anything in these situations, particularly when the relationship isn't necessarily an -ordinarily- close one.....meaning the kind where you know each other well and you visit for BBQs and stuff. I would even suggest that sometimes, traditional familiarity puts us into a situation where a particular response is expected and not always necessarily natural and spontaneous.

I suspect that this thread evidences just exactly how much people really want to be warm and loving and caring and express their appreciation for those little but important moments that gently shape our lives.

The first thing I remembered, when I saw this, was the thread about losing his child and how he'd sought comfort here, presumably because he felt safe to do so. That's quite something too.

Every so often, there is a revolution on here and everyone gets pissy and I wonder if we really don't know what we get pissy for because really it's all quite something isn't it?

This thread is, in itself, quite the testament to the existence of someone and if I ever lost someone and found something like this, I think I might be quite overwhelmed. I think that everyone who has posted on here could take a moment to feel a twitch of self-esteem at their thought and consideration.

I'm with Diamondog regards the stuff about our inconsequential problems and whinging (I can't remember exactly what he said).

I hope that when I wake up tomorrow I'm slightly less selfishly able to rise from my bed and not spend quite so long sulking about my tokenistic troubles. I hope instead, that I just fucking get on with it for the time that I'm allowed to do so. Unfortunately, I suspect it won't last long.

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 10 Aug 2006, 19:55

The Hugh Jarse wrote:I have absolutely no problem to contributing to flowers or a charity but my preferred option would be if we could send a cheque to Caroline that she could keep in trust for their daughter.

Good idea.
[indistinct chatter]

Spec

Postby Spec » 10 Aug 2006, 20:06

Neil Jung wrote:
The Hugh Jarse wrote:I have absolutely no problem to contributing to flowers or a charity but my preferred option would be if we could send a cheque to Caroline that she could keep in trust for their daughter.

Good idea.

Indeed. Even just the equivalent of buying one less cd this month.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 10 Aug 2006, 20:16

Specbebop wrote:
Neil Jung wrote:

Good idea.

Indeed. Even just the equivalent of buying one less cd this month.

Or a lot less. If all the aliases chip in.

Doctor Jimmy
Continental Fuckwit

Postby Doctor Jimmy » 10 Aug 2006, 20:30

This is so dreadful. My thoughts are with his family.

I've never met the good man, and have only exchanged a few PM's with him, and still it feels like I've lost someone close. So this really is a community. Including the saddest events.

I'll raise a glass to Stu at the London JU.

glammorgan55

Postby glammorgan55 » 10 Aug 2006, 21:08

Terribly sad news. I met Stu the once last year and, as in PM's and on threads, he was a kind, decent man and great company, who'd stayed cheerful in the face of more than his fair share of the shit that life sometimes throws at us. RIP Stu and condolences to his family.

Grollope
Barred from the Eisteddfod

Postby Grollope » 10 Aug 2006, 21:23

I've just got home and read this after working away earlier this week. It's so incedibly sad news.

Maybe we ought to start a fund with donations so we can send messages of condolences when we lose someone dear to us, or messages of congratulations at times when there is news to celebrate. BCB is our extended family.

RIP Stu.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-C2Ar4gpi8

Jimbo wrote: my gay friend told me all one has to do is take half. Sounds sensible. Try it.

Copehead wrote: they are choosing to monitor butt hose

doctorlouie
AKA Number 16 Bus Shelter

Postby doctorlouie » 10 Aug 2006, 22:05

Grollope wrote:I've just got home and read this after working away earlier this week. It's so incedibly sad news.

Maybe we ought to start a fund with donations so we can send messages of condolences when we lose someone dear to us, or messages of congratulations at times when there is news to celebrate. BCB is our extended family.

RIP Stu.

Smamf is doing the PayPal thing. Her email address is:

samantha dot veal at bt dot com

see page three of this thread.

marios

Postby marios » 10 Aug 2006, 22:53

:cry:

I remember Stu even though we were rarely around at the same times. A tragic story and my thoughts are with his poor wife and his friends and family right now.

RIP Stu

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 11 Aug 2006, 05:40

The Smamfy wrote:
Jumper K wrote:As it is the first time we have lost a valued member of our community does anyone think we should mark Stu's passing in some way?

That's a good idea, but I really don't know logistically what we can all do.

I think a minute's noise woud be appropriate.
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

Pete the Pick
Pete Is Away

Postby Pete the Pick » 11 Aug 2006, 07:23

Only just found out about this.

Nice guy, met a couple of times, but the thing is, he only lived around the corner from me. It was always in the back of my mind that maybe I should arrange a social meet sometime, and now I've missed it.

Sorry, Stu.
"Buy Bovril, And Take A Bite Out Of Communism!"

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 11 Aug 2006, 07:48

That's very sad, rest in peace.
king of the divan

The Dríver
Hippy Replacement

Postby The Dríver » 11 Aug 2006, 08:41

I've already posted elsewhere how dreadful this news is.

I only met Stu the once in Richmond. I wasn't able to hang around for long that evening and so it was the briefest of conversations with a mutual pledge that we'd have a proper chat the next time we were both at a Jolly-Up. I'm gutted that I never had that opportunity and now never will.

Even though our conversation was brief it was clear how friendly and likeable he was, and the few PMs we exchanged only confirmed this.

It puts so many things into perspective.

My thoughts and prayers are with the bereaved, and I'm more than happy to contribute to whatever we collectively put together in his memory.
He's a simpleton. 200 years ago they wouldn't have let him milk a cow.

Tapiocahead

Postby Tapiocahead » 11 Aug 2006, 09:14

Maybe we could collect together some of his posts.

It might be nice for his daughter to read when she's older.
Fishstick selling fuck

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 11 Aug 2006, 09:43

What can I say, except that this has me sobbing?

RIP, Stu - considering the dozens of packages I've sent you (and you me), it's a pity we didn't talk more...
Last edited by Neige on 11 Aug 2006, 12:58, edited 1 time in total.
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Minnie, Boss of Appropriate Posting

Postby Minnie, Boss of Appropriate Posting » 11 Aug 2006, 12:42

How incredibly sad and poignant.
All the best to his family.
xxx

River Man
Beyond Help

Postby River Man » 11 Aug 2006, 13:56

Very sad news.
RIP
BCB fop