30:06:67 - It Was Fifty Years Ago Today

As it says on the tin. Contains the In Memoriam, birthday greetings and splicing announcements of this community.
Quaco
F R double E

Re: 30:06:67 - It Was Fifty Years Ago Today

Postby Quaco » 02 Jul 2017, 22:42

Deebank wrote:People tell you that everything happens for a reason and they're wrong.

Things can and often do happen for no meaningful reason at all - it's just the interaction of our genes and environment with blind chance.

We, as a species, love to overlay everything with pattern and meaning where often there is none.

Agree. We only find the 'reason' later on, once we've accommodated to the random thing. I guess 'making the best of it' or 'learning from your mistakes' becomes a reason if you are able to continue on and grow.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 03 Jul 2017, 10:27

I can picture the swans. It’s funny how an image can stick with you for so long and be so lucid when everything else fades.

I don’t much else to say but thanks for sharing this.

That’s such a heavy experience for anybody to go through but especially one so young.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 03 Jul 2017, 13:33

Thanks Ray, love reading your lucid prose
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 16 Jul 2017, 00:40

Thanks very much everybody, for kind words and wishes. I'm fine. Writing it down at last was very lightening, especially since I had been carrying the burden so long I was no longer aware of its weight. It was also nice to sit down for a few hours and knock out 3,000 words. It's been a while.

Would one of the admins do me the kindness of shifting this into Births Marriages and Deaths, so that it doesn't fall off the Ninnyland cliff, please? I may want to come back to this if anything else turns up, in my memory or in the world.

Just a day or two ago, for instance, I started looking through my mother's 'important' bag, where she kept things like policies and certificates, as well as mementos of my grandparents, and found, not only letters I'd written home from school trips, and one or two Dad had written to me, but letters between my parents when they were, ahem, courting in World War II. Once I realized what they were, I stopped reading, put them back in the pile, placed the pile and everything else back in the bag, zipped it up and put it away.

Some other time, maybe
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 17 Jul 2017, 07:44

Read them while you still have chance...
Your Mum wouldn't have kept them safe for them not to be read by you. Maybe they'll shed some more light on their relationship, and give you some more pieces of the puzzle?
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Modesty Forbids

Postby Modesty Forbids » 17 Jul 2017, 10:32

Fonz wrote:Read them while you still have chance...
Your Mum wouldn't have kept them safe for them not to be read by you. Maybe they'll shed some more light on their relationship, and give you some more pieces of the puzzle?

Oh, it's not a question of delicacy, fonz, or of intruding on their relationship in any way, it's the emotional overload, the thought of them young and in love in the middle of a War, the amount of vitality there, and what happened to them later, how my mother was crushed by his death: and a socking great reminder of my own mortality, focusing on my own loss, as I close in on seventy years old.
once an adman, always a cunt

all / Life death does end, and each day dies with sleep

Return to “Births, Marriages & Deaths”