November 2010 Reviews

Exchange mix CDs with each other.
TG

November 2010 Reviews

Postby TG » 16 Nov 2010, 17:14

Okay, I'll start this out. I received 2 CDs from my mixer with instructions to listen to/review either or both. I'm reviewing disc 1. I've listened to disc 2 and might review it later if that's kosher.

Here goes...

Track 1 - Someone lights a cigarette, inhales and then strummed acoustic and some nice, simple slide work. Sounds a bit like Joseph Arthur. Choruses feature banjo, accordion and flute/recorder in a sort of jarring way. Not a bad way, but those instruments come and go so quickly. Almost like a sample. It's an odd production. Oh, and there's this strange ending bit that's a sample of someone repeating "Take me with you man, let's go" or something. I like this.

Track 2 - I like this too. Pop ala Matthew Sweet or the Velvet Crush. I feel like I should know this. This is quite good and exactly the type of thing I go for. Very nice production. It really sounds like Matthew Sweet and if it is I probably own it and I really should know this. "...All the working girls are fine..."

Track 3 - Kathleen by Townes Van Zandt. This is probably the first song by him that I ever heard. I still don't know enough about him. This is a different version than I am familiar with. This has strings which add to the drama. I remember the first time I actually realized what this song was about. I came running back to the stereo to play it again and see if he said what I thought he said. Getting this mix coincided with a thread in which G-Z did some fine write ups of Townes' records. I'll be buying some more TVZ ASAP.

Track 4 - Nice band cut. Sounds a bit like Joe Strummer. Not the Clash but maybe the Mescaleros or something. Singing about Detroit and singing (The Stooges) We Will Fall. This one is really growing on me.

Track 5 - Some sort of singer/songwriter something or other. Not my thing. Very earnest and sentimental and in touch with his feelings, etc. Goes nowhere.

Track 6 - This is a bit more of the same as the previous track. The flute laden arrangement reminds me a lot of Nico's Chelsea Girls. I like Nico's Chelsea Girls. This one is not for me.

Track 7 - Here we go. Electric guitars doing interesting things. Sounds a bit like Roy Loney era Flamin' Groovies. This is more my thing. One guitar repeats a cool riff throughout while the other plays/solos on top. "Yeah mama, I'm bored". This is very cool. I'd explore this further. Can't wait to see what this is.

Track 8 - Yeah, Yeah, Yeah. Let Her Dance by the Bobby Fuller 4. What a great freaking record. How can you help but to smile and sing along. I played this on repeat several times and then got out the BF4 Greatest Hits LP and played them some more. I love this record.

Track 9 - Something called Faithless Lover (?). Some gent talk/singing the words over a sparse arrangement. Not doing a thing for me. The false ending was a real pisser. I thought it was really over :lol: .

Track 10 - The mighty Captain Beefheart doing My Head's my Only House Unless it Rains. From Clear Spot; which is not only his best album, but one of the finest ever made by anyone. It's such an odd blend of Southern Soul, So Cal pop (some tracks bear a resemblance to Buckingham/Nicks era Mac musically - this song included), Van Vliet's take on blues and clean stellar production - it really should have produced at least an FM radio hit. If it had been released under a psuedonym it might have. And what a band!

Track 11 - Third Velvets LP influenced backing tracks. Interesting lyrics but the singer bugs me. Why is it I can listen to and enjoy some bad singers (Dylan, Lydon, etc.) but others get right on my nerves.I like the way this progresses - strings, horns, feedback - but this song is crying out to be covered by a better singer.

Track 12 - "Happiness will only happen when it can" - This is kind of interesting. The word play in the lyrics is entertaining (have, haven't, half, happen) and the track is good. This could grow on me.

Track 13 - I like this one. It's very understated. The vocal is a bit too close to Jackson Browne for my liking but I'd check this out upon reveal.

Track 14 - I don't know the song but I guarantee you this is George Jones. What a great voice. It's too bad that so much of his work (and so much C&W of that era) was ruined by the insipid "Nashville Sound". Where does one start with Mr. Jones' catalog? I need to become better acquainted. This is massive.

Track 15 - A man and his guitar. Not so much my thing. Vocals are weak. Too much of this sort of thing and I long to reenact the John Belushi/Stephen Bishop staircase scene in Animal House.

Track 16 - More singer/songwriter stuff. Please refer to review of track 15.

Track 17 - A band! Guitar, bass, drums and French horn(?). Reminds me a bit of the Blue Orchids (though I haven't listened to them in years). I like the sung in real time aspect of this. Not my usual type of listening fare but this could grow on me. I'm very curious about who this might be.

Track 18 - Not sure what is going on with this one. This just sort of goes on and on. Something about a Dinosaur Act or Dinosaur App or something. Slow and meandering - not unlike some dinosaurs, I suppose.

So, three or four I already knew, several I like and a couple that didn't work. Overall what a Mix Club CD ought to be, I reckon. Thanks to the mixer. I'm looking forward to the reveal.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Re: November 2010 Reviews

Postby Oscar » 18 Nov 2010, 01:01

Track 1 - Someone lights a cigarette, inhales and then strummed acoustic and some nice, simple slide work. Sounds a bit like Joseph Arthur. Choruses feature banjo, accordion and flute/recorder in a sort of jarring way. Not a bad way, but those instruments come and go so quickly. Almost like a sample. It's an odd production. Oh, and there's this strange ending bit that's a sample of someone repeating "Take me with you man, let's go" or something. I like this.
BCB Darlings Teenage Fanclub with “Everything Flows

Track 2 - I like this too. Pop ala Matthew Sweet or the Velvet Crush. I feel like I should know this. This is quite good and exactly the type of thing I go for. Very nice production. It really sounds like Matthew Sweet and if it is I probably own it and I really should know this. "...All the working girls are fine..."
The Pernice Bros – with ‘Working Girls’ from 2001

Track 3 - Kathleen by Townes Van Zandt. This is probably the first song by him that I ever heard. I still don't know enough about him. This is a different version than I am familiar with. This has strings which add to the drama. I remember the first time I actually realized what this song was about. I came running back to the stereo to play it again and see if he said what I thought he said. Getting this mix coincided with a thread in which G-Z did some fine write ups of Townes' records. I'll be buying some more TVZ ASAP.
This is the only track by TVZ that I really like so maybe I need to re-visit.

Track 4 - Nice band cut. Sounds a bit like Joe Strummer. Not the Clash but maybe the Mescaleros or something. Singing about Detroit and singing (The Stooges) We Will Fall. This one is really growing on me.
The other (ie not The Saints)Aussie punk band, Radio Birdman with ‘Love Kills’

Track 5 - Some sort of singer/songwriter something or other. Not my thing. Very earnest and sentimental and in touch with his feelings, etc. Goes nowhere.
This is ‘Cry On Demand’ by Ryan Adams. I’m far from a fan of Adams but the deep sentimentality of this song pushed it for me. See, one man’s poison...

Track 6 - This is a bit more of the same as the previous track. The flute laden arrangement reminds me a lot of Nico's Chelsea Girls. I like Nico's Chelsea Girls. This one is not for me.
This is ‘Eleanors Cake (Which Ate Her)’ by Kevin Ayers. There’s a 40 year difference between the 2 tracks but I suppose the sentimentality is there. BBC DJ John Peel wrote in his autobiography that "Kevin Ayers' talent is so acute you could perform major eye surgery with it” Again, I’m not a fan as such but I adore this song.

Track 7 - Here we go. Electric guitars doing interesting things. Sounds a bit like Roy Loney era Flamin' Groovies. This is more my thing. One guitar repeats a cool riff throughout while the other plays/solos on top. "Yeah mama, I'm bored". This is very cool. I'd explore this further. Can't wait to see what this is.
This is a track I found on a compilation from around 2000. Never seen anything else by them and never found any info about them - which doesn't help. ‘I’m Bored’ by the Big Kids

Track 8 - Yeah, Yeah, Yeah. Let Her Dance by the Bobby Fuller 4. What a great freaking record. How can you help but to smile and sing along. I played this on repeat several times and then got out the BF4 Greatest Hits LP and played them some more. I love this record.
Word!

Track 9 - Something called Faithless Lover (?). Some gent talk/singing the words over a sparse arrangement. Not doing a thing for me. The false ending was a real pisser. I thought it was really over .OK so this is Nick Lowe which means you’re on sacred ground. How could you!?

Track 10 - The mighty Captain Beefheart doing My Head's my Only House Unless it Rains. From Clear Spot; which is not only his best album, but one of the finest ever made by anyone. It's such an odd blend of Southern Soul, So Cal pop (some tracks bear a resemblance to Buckingham/Nicks era Mac musically - this song included), Van Vliet's take on blues and clean stellar production - it really should have produced at least an FM radio hit. If it had been released under a psuedonym it might have. And what a band!
I only like a small handful of Beefheart tracks but this is undoubtedly my favourite.

Track 11 - Third Velvets LP influenced backing tracks. Interesting lyrics but the singer bugs me. Why is it I can listen to and enjoy some bad singers (Dylan, Lydon, etc.) but others get right on my nerves.I like the way this progresses - strings, horns, feedback - but this song is crying out to be covered by a better singer.
This album got a lot of support on BCB last year. I must say I wasn’t greatly fussed but I really did and really do like this track.

Track 12 - "Happiness will only happen when it can" - This is kind of interesting. The word play in the lyrics is entertaining (have, haven't, half, happen) and the track is good. This could grow on me.
Happiness by Built To Spill.

Track 13 - I like this one. It's very understated. The vocal is a bit too close to Jackson Browne for my liking but I'd check this out upon reveal.
Don’t I Hold You by Wheat

Track 14 - I don't know the song but I guarantee you this is George Jones. What a great voice. It's too bad that so much of his work (and so much C&W of that era) was ruined by the insipid "Nashville Sound". Where does one start with Mr. Jones' catalog? I need to become better acquainted. This is massive.
Like the TVZ, I’m clueless about his general output but this is the cream of whatever I’ve heard.

Track 15 - A man and his guitar. Not so much my thing. Vocals are weak. Too much of this sort of thing and I long to reenact the John Belushi/Stephen Bishop staircase scene in Animal House.
This is ‘You’re Beautiful’ by Mojave 3 (Neil Halstead).

Track 16 - More singer/songwriter stuff. Please refer to review of track 15.
‘Tiger Mountain Peasant Song’ by Fleet Foxes – I’d say more atmosphere than “singer /songwriter stuff” but again I suppose a little too sentimental for the lesser refined palette.

Track 17 - A band! Guitar, bass, drums and French horn(?). Reminds me a bit of the Blue Orchids (though I haven't listened to them in years). I like the sung in real time aspect of this. Not my usual type of listening fare but this could grow on me. I'm very curious about who this might be.
This is the very sinister ‘A Thing Well Made’ by The Muttonbirds.

Track 18 - Not sure what is going on with this one. This just sort of goes on and on. Something about a Dinosaur Act or Dinosaur App or something. Slow and meandering - not unlike some dinosaurs, I suppose.
Dinosaur Act by Low

1 Everything Flows 05:32 Teenage Fanclub
2 Working Girls 03:22 Pernice Brothers
3 kathleen 02:46 Townes Van Zandt
4 Love Kills 03:47 Radio Birdman
5 Cry On Demand 04:23 Ryan Adams
6 Eleanors Cake (Which Ate Her) 02:54 Kevin Ayers
7 I'm Bored 03:44 The Big Kids
8 Let Her Dance 02:34 The Bobby Fuller Four
9 Faithless Lover 02:46 Nick Lowe
10 My Head Is My Only House Unless It Rains 02:56 Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band
11 my broken heart edit 05:11 noah and the whale
12 Happiness 03:43 Built To Spill
13 Don't I Hold You 03:50 Wheat
14 The Grand Tour 03:08 George Jones
15 You're Beautiful 03:09 Mojave 3
16 Tiger Mountain Peasant Song 03:29 Fleet Foxes
17 A Thing Well Made 04:37 Muttonbirds
18 Dinosaur Act 04:15 Low

TG

Postby TG » 18 Nov 2010, 02:50

Oscar47 wrote:Track 2 - I like this too. Pop ala Matthew Sweet or the Velvet Crush. I feel like I should know this. This is quite good and exactly the type of thing I go for. Very nice production. It really sounds like Matthew Sweet and if it is I probably own it and I really should know this. "...All the working girls are fine..."
The Pernice Bros – with ‘Working Girls’ from 2001

I really want to hear more of this.

Oscar47 wrote:Track 7 - Here we go. Electric guitars doing interesting things. Sounds a bit like Roy Loney era Flamin' Groovies. This is more my thing. One guitar repeats a cool riff throughout while the other plays/solos on top. "Yeah mama, I'm bored". This is very cool. I'd explore this further. Can't wait to see what this is.
This is a track I found on a compilation from around 2000. Never seen anything else by them and never found any info about them - which doesn't help. ‘I’m Bored’ by the Big Kids

Could make finding this difficult. It really is a good track.

Oscar47 wrote:Track 9 - Something called Faithless Lover (?). Some gent talk/singing the words over a sparse arrangement. Not doing a thing for me. The false ending was a real pisser. I thought it was really over .OK so this is Nick Lowe which means you’re on sacred ground. How could you!?

In a million years I never would have guessed that this was Nick Lowe. I like Nick Lowe. Ths was an odd track.

Oscar47 wrote:Track 16 - More singer/songwriter stuff. Please refer to review of track 15.
‘Tiger Mountain Peasant Song’ by Fleet Foxes – I’d say more atmosphere than “singer /songwriter stuff” but again I suppose a little too sentimental for the lesser refined palette.

Hey, wait a minute.

Anyway, Lenny, thanks for the CD. You know, membership in this Mix Club is going to get expensive. My want list is growing at a much more rapid pace than previously.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 18 Nov 2010, 08:33

TG wrote:Anyway, Lenny, thanks for the CD.

You're always very welcome.

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 18 Nov 2010, 09:14

Oscar47 wrote:Track 3 - Kathleen by Townes Van Zandt. This is probably the first song by him that I ever heard. I still don't know enough about him. This is a different version than I am familiar with. This has strings which add to the drama. I remember the first time I actually realized what this song was about. I came running back to the stereo to play it again and see if he said what I thought he said. Getting this mix coincided with a thread in which G-Z did some fine write ups of Townes' records. I'll be buying some more TVZ ASAP.

Try this – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTGKzWDakK8

John_K
driven by lists

Postby John_K » 18 Nov 2010, 15:48

bhoywonder wrote:
Oscar47 wrote:Track 3 - Kathleen by Townes Van Zandt. This is probably the first song by him that I ever heard. I still don't know enough about him. This is a different version than I am familiar with. This has strings which add to the drama. I remember the first time I actually realized what this song was about. I came running back to the stereo to play it again and see if he said what I thought he said. Getting this mix coincided with a thread in which G-Z did some fine write ups of Townes' records. I'll be buying some more TVZ ASAP.

Try this – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTGKzWDakK8

or this

T. Willy Rye
Spinner of crazy fuck-ass shit

Postby T. Willy Rye » 22 Nov 2010, 19:23

Received a solid slab of funkified heaven from Hong Kong this month titled: Did someone say horns and organs? And I have to reply that not a day goes by without speaking of one or the other.

So this begs the question: Who is the funkiest BCBer from Hong Kong? My mind's drawing a blank ;)

Track 1- Nitpicking outta the way early. This is a fine piece of 80ish indie and it does have a horn in it, but it simply pales compared to what comes next on this disc of funk o plenty. I like the bass and the horn freak out at the end, but it would've probably made more impact a little lower down in the track list.

Track 2- I'm not well versed in blues men, but I think there came a time when they had to incorporate more funk/soul in their music in order to be seen as contemporary. I think this was a good development in the rather limited genre, too bad it didn't last. This is good, I can feel the disc building. I love the piano coloring.

Track 3- This is one of those seemingly effortless early 60s Blue Note dates, but of course there is nothing effortless about it. I just wish I knew which date it was. I'm gonna say Grant Green and Baby Face Willette or Big John Patton are on it. Great smoking track. It reminds me a little of the pairing of Willette and GG on Here Tis where Donaldson just hangs back, but that ain't Donaldson- sounds more like Mobley. I should stop before I embarrass myself.

Track 4- Keyboard driven indie piece (again I think the 80s) maybe from Australia or New Zealand? It's pretty great. Hear some Sparks influence, but the singers more muscular sounding. Interested in the reveal.

Track 5- Groovy song with some gospel tinged vocals. I like it- could be a little grittier, but still quite nice.

Track 6- Gladys Knight and the Pips' cover of the Temptations' Friendship Train. This cover smokes- I sometimes forget about Gladys Knight. That woman has some pipes.

Track 7- Great psych number. Again an area I need to delve further into.

Track 8- The groove's back! I love the lazy slinky vibe. I'm sure you put this one on Ang(I mean mystery mixer) when you and the Mrs. want some alone time. It's sexy as hell.

Track 9- Another test that I'm gonna fail. I have heard other tenors (why does everything sound like Mobley). I can't think of a Mobley record with organ though. Shit, all I know is that this has moved on toward the mid 60s Blue Note. Great groovy track!

Track 10- Is for a bigger ensemble like the ones Gil Evans used to assemble or maybe Oliver Nelson. Really good- a tinge of Latin feel all musicians A-1. Nice percussion.

Track 11- Similar in terms of band size to the previous one. This one sounds a little more challenging than the previous- I mean it sounds more in a post bop vein with maybe artist like Curtis Fuller and Yusef Lateef, sounds like either Elvin Jones or Art Blakey just destroying the drums. I would guess maybe Duke Pearson's hand at arranging though I guess it could still be Oliver Nelson.

Track 12- This has got to be Lee right? Could be just about any record from Tomcat to Procrastinator, but I'm not sure which.It's killing me.

Track 13- More great funk. I better not let the Mrs. hear. This is potent enough to get her pregnant.

Track 14- Garage band not unlike the Hives, not sure if this came earlier like the 80s. Maybe a little rawer than the Hives.

Track 15- More 60s/70s psych. Very nice.

Track 16- Love this. Another slinky piece of gold. Great vocals. So good.

Track 17- Have completely failed my jazz test. Oh well, this will allow me to see what I have not been paying enough attention to or what I need to get. Like this slow, easy pace. Sounds very familiar.

Track 18- Got to Get Your Own by Reuben Wilson. Great ending to a damn near perfect disc. Thanks Mystery Mixer (whoever you are). You sure seem to know my taste.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 23 Nov 2010, 07:33

T. Willy Rye wrote:Received a solid slab of funkified heaven from Hong Kong this month titled: Did someone say horns and organs? And I have to reply that not a day goes by without speaking of one or the other.

So this begs the question: Who is the funkiest BCBer from Hong Kong? My mind's drawing a blank ;)

:D Damn you, international mail services – must you spoil every surprise?!

T. Willy Rye wrote:Track 1- Nitpicking outta the way early. This is a fine piece of 80ish indie and it does have a horn in it, but it simply pales compared to what comes next on this disc of funk o plenty. I like the bass and the horn freak out at the end, but it would've probably made more impact a little lower down in the track list.

Ahh, the tough first track. Went with something that might be a bit left-field on a horns and organs themed comp., but would hopefully draw you in enough for the next flurry of combinations.
A personal fave, the legendary Ed Kuepper with his group Laughing Clowns doing 'Eternally Yours'.

T. Willy Rye wrote:Track 2- I'm not well versed in blues men, but I think there came a time when they had to incorporate more funk/soul in their music in order to be seen as contemporary. I think this was a good development in the rather limited genre, too bad it didn't last. This is good, I can feel the disc building. I love the piano coloring.

The magnificent Little Milton doing 'Twenty-Three Hours' from '68 . One of the most under-appreciated blues/soul singers of the 60s for my money. He churned out dozens of wonderful singles during this time, which have generally gone under most peoples’ radars these days, sadly. And you have great ears, buddy - those Chess sides Milton did had some incredible backing players, and on this track the piano colourings you mention are courtesy of one Donny Hathaway.

T. Willy Rye wrote:Track 3- This is one of those seemingly effortless early 60s Blue Note dates, but of course there is nothing effortless about it. I just wish I knew which date it was. I'm gonna say Grant Green and Baby Face Willette or Big John Patton are on it. Great smoking track. It reminds me a little of the pairing of Willette and GG on Here Tis where Donaldson just hangs back, but that ain't Donaldson- sounds more like Mobley. I should stop before I embarrass myself.

No flies on you, Eric. This is the title track of tenor-man Harold Vick's Steppin Out! album from '63, with Grant Green, Blue Mitchell and Big John lending a hand to cook up a soul jazz/r&b storm.

T. Willy Rye wrote:Track 4- Keyboard driven indie piece (again I think the 80s) maybe from Australia or New Zealand? It's pretty great. Hear some Sparks influence, but the singers more muscular sounding. Interested in the reveal.

The Go-Betweens with an ace non-LP track, 'People Say' from '79. A rather unique Robert Forster tune, about which he has said, "We were going for that 'wild mercury sound'. Sometimes i think this is the best song i've ever written."
He's quite wrong of course, but who the hell am i to argue. A real gem.

T. Willy Rye wrote:Track 5- Groovy song with some gospel tinged vocals. I like it- could be a little grittier, but still quite nice.

Billy Preston doing 'As Long As I Got My Baby' on the reissue of Encouraging Words, famed for its connection to George Harrison as well. Being an Apple recording probably accounts for the relative lack of soul grit, but the gospel colours shine through wonderfully, don't they.

T. Willy Rye wrote:Track 6- Gladys Knight and the Pips' cover of the Temptations' Friendship Train. This cover smokes- I sometimes forget about Gladys Knight. That woman has some pipes.

I'll never have a definitive answer, but a lot of the time i think Gladys is my favourite female soul singer. By God, that woman could/can sing - a husky, emotive yearning can often be found in there, but with a strength and pride and assurance that sounds so very vital and sexy in its own way.

T. Willy Rye wrote:Track 7- Great psych number. Again an area I need to delve further into.

The aussie 1960-70s outfit The Master's Apprentices, with their legendary early B-side ‘War Or Hands Of Time’. A stunning song, both of and before its time, and a seminal recording for australian rock and roll.

T. Willy Rye wrote:Track 8- The groove's back! I love the lazy slinky vibe. I'm sure you put this one on Ang(I mean mystery mixer) when you and the Mrs. want some alone time. It's sexy as hell.

David Porter holding up the Stax banner in the early-70s with 'I Got You (And I'm Glad), from one of the volumes of Complete Stax 70s Singles. Should come with a heat-resistant cover.

T. Willy Rye wrote:Track 9- Another test that I'm gonna fail. I have heard other tenors (why does everything sound like Mobley). I can't think of a Mobley record with organ though. Shit, all I know is that this has moved on toward the mid 60s Blue Note. Great groovy track!

Worry not mate, you weren't far off - that's Joe Henderson blowing his soulful horn on the 7" single version of Freddie Roach's 'Brown Sugar'. There is a longer version on the Roach album of the same name, but as the bean-counters at EMI still refuse to keep it in print long enough to find a good priced copy, I only have it on a BN 7” singles comp. Love the “Now where you think you’re goin, girl?” fake ending… very cool.

T. Willy Rye wrote:Track 10- Is for a bigger ensemble like the ones Gil Evans used to assemble or maybe Oliver Nelson. Really good- a tinge of Latin feel all musicians A-1. Nice percussion.

'Batucada Sergiu' by Marcos Valle. Great writer and great band leader, and so much of his stuff is guaranteed to get people's blood pumping and arses shaking.

T. Willy Rye wrote:Track 11- Similar in terms of band size to the previous one. This one sounds a little more challenging than the previous- I mean it sounds more in a post bop vein with maybe artist like Curtis Fuller and Yusef Lateef, sounds like either Elvin Jones or Art Blakey just destroying the drums. I would guess maybe Duke Pearson's hand at arranging though I guess it could still be Oliver Nelson.

Yes, good ear again. This is McCoy Tyner expanding his post-bop palette on the tune 'Man From Tanganyika', from the terrific, though puzzlingly-titled Tender Moments. Big band BN from the late-60s, arranged to perfection and with wonderful solos from all invloved, especially James Spaulding on flute.

T. Willy Rye wrote:Track 12- This has got to be Lee right? Could be just about any record from Tomcat to Procrastinator, but I'm not sure which.It's killing me.

It is Lee indeed, but not one of his dates - it's the tune 'Mira' from Andrew Hill's Grass Roots album. A wonderful set, and the reissue is even better coz of the extra tracks from another discarded session featuring Woody Shaw and other stars. I love this track - what could be a simple samba-tinged ditty but never is, the subtley trippy time shifts that seem to lurch and groove all over each other relentlessly, the way Lee's solo perfectly takes up from Hill's angularly swingin one, before Booker Ervin rips out a superbly keening one of his own... wonderful.

T. Willy Rye wrote:Track 13- More great funk. I better not let the Mrs. hear. This is potent enough to get her pregnant.

Some Bay Area funk for ya, Tower Of Power letting rip on 'You Got To Funkifize'.
Don't you know it's in your so-ow-o-oul?... oh yes, it certainly is boys.

T. Willy Rye wrote:Track 14- Garage band not unlike the Hives, not sure if this came earlier like the 80s. Maybe a little rawer than the Hives.

Oh yeah, rawer than the Hives, man - this is Radio Birdman, seminal Aussie/Detroit rock and roll from the late 70s, doing 'Do The Pop' from the Radios Appear LP. One of my personal faves.

T. Willy Rye wrote:Track 15- More 60s/70s psych. Very nice.

The Beach Boys doing 'It's About Time' from Sunflower. Love the soulful psych-tinged R&B direction of this track, so different (in a good way) from the other wonderful stuff they were doing at the time, and quite a searching lyric too.

T. Willy Rye wrote:Track 16- Love this. Another slinky piece of gold. Great vocals. So good.

Back to the House of Stax for some early 70s grooves from Carla Thomas, her single 'Sugar'. Love the arrangements on this, and Thomas' voice is perfectly suited to the title. Any hotter or sweeter and her man'd be melting - and she don't want that, baby.

T. Willy Rye wrote:Track 17- Have completely failed my jazz test. Oh well, this will allow me to see what I have not been paying enough attention to or what I need to get. Like this slow, easy pace. Sounds very familiar.

You've probably heard it before, Dewey Redman with the tune 'Turn Over Baby' from The Struggle Continues. Such a wonderful album of everything from the bluesy-soul of this track to more adventurous stuff.

T. Willy Rye wrote:Track 18- Got to Get Your Own by Reuben Wilson.

What a jam - 6 minutes of jazz/soul/funk heaven. Makes my head spin how effortlessly this track can combine insane musicianship with a dance-floor groove that simply will not quit. I am seriously considering getting my family to make this the last track to be played at my funeral, when one day I boogaloo off this mortal coil.

T. Willy Rye wrote:Great ending to a damn near perfect disc. Thanks Mystery Mixer (whoever you are). You sure seem to know my taste.

Very welcome, mate, but i really couldn't fail knowing our shared tastes - like shooting cds in a barrel. :)

Gotta write up my review of my own nov. bcb cd soon, and a very cool mix it was too!

Oh, and the tracklist -

1. Laughing Clowns - Eternally Yours
2. Little Milton - Twenty-Three Hours
3. Harold Vick - Steppin' Out
4.The Go-Betweens - People Say
5. Billy Preston - As Long As I Got My Baby
6. Gladys Knight & The Pips - Friendship Train
7. The Master's Apprentices - War Or Hands Of Time
8. David Porter - I Got You (And I'm Glad)
9. Freddie Roach - Brown Sugar
10. Marcos Valle - Batucada Surgiu
11. McCoy Tyner - Man From Tanganyika
12. Andrew Hill - Mira
13. Tower Of Power - You Got To Funkifize
14. Radio Birdman - Do The Pop
15. The Beach Boys - It's About Time
16. Carla Thomas - Sugar
17. Dewey Redman - Turn Over Baby
18. Reuben Wilson - Got To Get Your Own
Last edited by fange on 24 Nov 2010, 06:41, edited 1 time in total.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

T. Willy Rye
Spinner of crazy fuck-ass shit

Postby T. Willy Rye » 23 Nov 2010, 21:56

Is there a particular Marcus Valle one should get? Emusic has a lot of his stuff. I'd never heard of him, but he sounds worth pursuing.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 24 Nov 2010, 05:16

I'm not a huge expert on his stuff, but most of the stuff i've heard from the late 60s and early 70s is very good, with many various elements of Brazilian music, pop, jazz and funk. I have his Samba 68 album here in HK, which is a nice samba-and-bossa-pop set of tunes sung in English, and a Brazilian jazz comp (which is magnificent) from which i lifted Batucada Surgiu. Would happily send you off a taster of them, or anything else if you're interested!
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 25 Nov 2010, 07:52

John_K wrote:
bhoywonder wrote:Try this –

or this

I am impressed, honest - slightly more by Heartworn Highway.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 25 Nov 2010, 13:03

Been thoroughly enjoying my mix cd this week, which landed in my letter box from The Land of the Long White Cloud thanks to my mystery mixer (and as i don't know many BCBers yet, and none from NZ, my sender really is a mystery).

Track 1 – Great start. A 3-minute slice of Hammond, guitar and flute working out over a funky, sanctified groove. Looks like my mixer might have done their homework on my tastes.

Track 2 – Ahh, the wonderful Laura Nyro with ‘Eli’s Comin’. Love it.

Track 3 – Man, you have been goin through my stuff! John Fahey with ‘The Yellow Princess’ - gorgeous. So good it almost makes me weep manly tears.

Track 4 – The unmistakeable tones of Nick Cave. Don’t know the tune, but from the production it sounds mid-80s, though it’s not off The Good Son. I like it – well arranged, nice double-tracked vocals, and with a melodic strength that shows he doesn’t always need bluster or volume to prove how good he can be.

Track 5 – A jumpy little poppy number, sounds 80s too or maybe early-90s from the drum sound. A very Antipodean singer telling us how much he loves his leather jacket… :) like it! Fun indie rock and roll.

Track 6 – Aww, hell yeah! Mr. Van Vliet spitting out ‘Circumstances’ – absolutely unmistakable, and I haven’t heard this tune for at least 10 years. Killer.

Track 7 – This one’s grown on me over the past week, starts slow but builds up a good groove by the end. Very dense production and lots of electronics in the background, but adding vibes too was a great idea – gives the melody a lot more room to breathe, and the organic sound of the vibes contrasts nicely with the electronics and the rattling funk of the drums.

Track 8 – Sounds like Tim Buckley, on a long, funky country blues but don’t know the tune. Great line to start “Sitting in a Hong Kong Bar, sweet dreams of you, darling…” Good stuff.

Track 9 – An African tune, deep percussion groove, with someone playing what might be a kora but it’s giving out some very unsettling harmonics. Interested to see the reveal.

Track 10 – Great 80s or 90s alternative rock and roll here. Twangy rockabilly guitars over restless Velvets-loving beats. The singer sounds like he’s been round the block once or twice, probably with a bottle of Jack in one hand and a copy of The Dharma Bums in the other. The wry humour and snarly attitude are a good mix.

Track 11 – Some Sun Ra with We Travel The Spaceways! Good spacey/freaky tune, and great in the mix here as it ain’t too long, and it's a nice follow up to the wired-up angst of the previous song.

Track 12 – Ahh, Ed and the Clowns… you really have been in my place, haven’t you! Hope you didn’t feed the cat, she’s on a diet.
What can i say about Ed Kuepper - from The Saints onwards the man has been a cornerstone of my musical life, so certainly no complaints with this one, especially as I put it on my mix to T Willy this month too… :lol:

Track 13 – I can’t wait for the reveal of this one, coz i goddam love it and it’s driving me mad - I’m sure I know it, or have heard it, but just can’t get the name out. Absolutely beautiful – the tune, the arrangements, the sounds, everything. By turns mellow and funky, sensual and spiritual; instrumental soulfulness of the highest order.

Track 14 – Terrific follow up, The Soft Boys’ I Wanna Destroy You. Such an ace song, and brings back great memories.

Track 15 – I like this one too. Echo-laden female vocals over a lovely mix of traditional folky sounds and indie rumble. Sounds like a group i should investigate further.

Track 16 – Great track to end, a moody and gently grooving instrumental with bits of ambient background noise, as if off a soundtrack. Lovely organ ripples and funky latin touches in the guitars and percussion give it a beautiful feel.

Thanks mixer, a wonderful disc, and there's a couple of things i'm looking forward to finding out more about! Cheers!
Jonny Spencer wrote:

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 25 Nov 2010, 13:15

Oscar47 wrote:
John_K wrote:
bhoywonder wrote:Try this –

or this

I am impressed, honest - slightly more by Heartworn Highway.

The song is called Waitin' Round to Die, that clip is from the film Heartworn Highways, which also features Guy Clark, Rodney Crowell and Steve Earle. He was a great songwriter and singer and there's a lot of love for him on these boards. I think you'd generally enjoy him.

Magilla
Otago Mago

Postby Magilla » 25 Nov 2010, 21:40

Filthy McAngetsiby wrote:Been thoroughly enjoying my mix cd this week, which landed in my letter box from The Land of the Long White Cloud thanks to my mystery mixer (and as i don't know many BCBers yet, and none from NZ, my sender really is a mystery).

Hi Angelo, really glad you liked the mix. You were a bit of a tough customer because I had real trouble judging your tastes. The search function was down when I got the draw, so that wasn't going to be any help. As a newbie to mix club I also couldn't see what your past mixes were and gauge anything from them, also I saw you're a big jazz fan. I would've liked to have included some jazz, but I suspect I've only got stuff you're already familiar with. I eventually tracked down a comment by you saying you liked Hammond organ stuff, so I took a punt and included a few bits 'n' pieces along those lines.

Track 1 – Great start. A 3-minute slice of Hammond, guitar and flute working out over a funky, sanctified groove. Looks like my mixer might have done their homework on my tastes.

Thought you might've liked this. The great Jackie Mittoo with 'Stereo Freeze' from The Keyboard King On Studio One. If you want a cool cross of Hammond and reggae, he is the man.

Track 2 – Ahh, the wonderful Laura Nyro with ‘Eli’s Comin’. Love it.

Yep, a wonderful song, a truly stunning singer.

Track 3 – Man, you have been goin through my stuff! John Fahey with ‘The Yellow Princess’ - gorgeous. So good it almost makes me weep manly tears.

It is gorgeous, isn't it ? One of the truly innovative musicians.

Track 4 – The unmistakeable tones of Nick Cave. Don’t know the tune, but from the production it sounds mid-80s, though it’s not off The Good Son. I like it – well arranged, nice double-tracked vocals, and with a melodic strength that shows he doesn’t always need bluster or volume to prove how good he can be.

Nick Cave, 'Sad Waters' from Your Funeral, My Trial. Yep, mid-'80s, 1986 to be exact. I thought the keyboards here would be to your liking.

Track 5 – A jumpy little poppy number, sounds 80s too or maybe early-90s from the drum sound. A very Antipodean singer telling us how much he loves his leather jacket… like it! Fun indie rock and roll.

The Chills, 'I Love My Leather Jacket' from Kaleidoscope World. This was a single in 1985. The Chills were huge here in NZ in the '80s and early '90s. Again, just thought you'd like the keyboards here.

Track 6 – Aww, hell yeah! Mr. Van Vliet spitting out ‘Circumstances’ – absolutely unmistakable, and I haven’t heard this tune for at least 10 years. Killer.

It sure is. I was taking a big punt with including some Beefheart as he's real love or hate territory, so glad you're a fan.

Track 7 – This one’s grown on me over the past week, starts slow but builds up a good groove by the end. Very dense production and lots of electronics in the background, but adding vibes too was a great idea – gives the melody a lot more room to breathe, and the organic sound of the vibes contrasts nicely with the electronics and the rattling funk of the drums.

US post-rock standard-bearers Tortoise, with 'Blackjack' from Standards. They're one of the most innovative bands of the past 20 years, imho. If you want to check out their more jazzier angle try TNT, for more of this sort of thing check out Standards or Millions Now Living Will Never Die.

Track 8 – Sounds like Tim Buckley, on a long, funky country blues but don’t know the tune. Great line to start “Sitting in a Hong Kong Bar, sweet dreams of you, darling…” Good stuff.

It is indeed Buckley senior. 'Sitting In A Hong Kong Bar' from Greetings From L.A. How could I resist sending a song about Hong Kong to Hong Kong ?

Track 9 – An African tune, deep percussion groove, with someone playing what might be a kora but it’s giving out some very unsettling harmonics. Interested to see the reveal.

Konono no.1, 'Kule Kule' from Congotronics. A contemporary band from Congo who play souped-up traditional instruments played via home-made, adapted amps, etc. This includes the wired-up likembe (thumb piano), which is what's probably giving of the harmonics.

Track 10 – Great 80s or 90s alternative rock and roll here. Twangy rockabilly guitars over restless Velvets-loving beats. The singer sounds like he’s been round the block once or twice, probably with a bottle of Jack in one hand and a copy of The Dharma Bums in the other. The wry humour and snarly attitude are a good mix.

The Gun Club with 'Goodbye Johnny' from Fire Of Love. Great description of the song and band, Jeffery Lee Pierce and the gang did indeed truck around the block a fair bit. One of the best bands of the early-mid '80s, I reckon.

Track 11 – Some Sun Ra with We Travel The Spaceways! Good spacey/freaky tune, and great in the mix here as it ain’t too long, and it's a nice follow up to the wired-up angst of the previous song.

Sun Ra, great stuff.

Track 12 – Ahh, Ed and the Clowns… you really have been in my place, haven’t you! Hope you didn’t feed the cat, she’s on a diet.
What can i say about Ed Kuepper - from The Saints onwards the man has been a cornerstone of my musical life, so certainly no complaints with this one, especially as I put it on my mix to T Willy this month too…

I laughed when I saw you'd included this too. Laughing Clowns are a band I've gotten really keen on in recent years, it's music of immense individuality with a truly far-sighted, timeless aspect, I reckon.

Track 13 – I can’t wait for the reveal of this one, coz i goddam love it and it’s driving me mad - I’m sure I know it, or have heard it, but just can’t get the name out. Absolutely beautiful – the tune, the arrangements, the sounds, everything. By turns mellow and funky, sensual and spiritual; instrumental soulfulness of the highest order.

David Axelrod, 'Song Of Innocence' from Song Of Innocence. Bloody amazing, isn't it ?

Track 14 – Terrific follow up, The Soft Boys’ I Wanna Destroy You. Such an ace song, and brings back great memories.

Yep, wonderful song.

Track 15 – I like this one too. Echo-laden female vocals over a lovely mix of traditional folky sounds and indie rumble. Sounds like a group i should investigate further.

One of the best young bands in Australia, Bridezilla with 'Western Front' from The First Dance. They're four young women and a male drummer. They're still only about 20 and have a sax, violin, guitar, bass, drums line-up. I'd love to see them get a lot more well-known.

Track 16 – Great track to end, a moody and gently grooving instrumental with bits of ambient background noise, as if off a soundtrack. Lovely organ ripples and funky latin touches in the guitars and percussion give it a beautiful feel.

Roy Budd, 'Get Carter' main theme from Get Carter soundtrack, from the early '70s movie starring Michael Caine. Human League later covered this on Dare.

Thanks mixer, a wonderful disc, and there's a couple of things i'm looking forward to finding out more about! Cheers!

My pleasure, glad my hunches paid off ! Feel free to *cough* for anything.

TRACKLIST:
1) Jackie Mittoo - Stereo Freeze, 3.06.
2) Laura Nyro - Eli's Comin', 3.56.
3) John Fahey - Yellow Princess, 4.53.
4) Nick Cave - Sad Waters, 5.00.
5) The Chills - I Love My Leather Jacket, 2.53.
6) Captain Beefheart - Circumstances, 3.11.
7) Tortoise - Blackjack, 4.08.
8) Tim Buckley - Hong Kong Bar, 7.07.
9) Konono No.1 - Kule Kule, 4.33.
10) The Gun Club - Goodbye Johnny, 3.44.
11) Sun Ra - We Travel The Spaceways, 3.20.
12) Laughing Clowns - Eternally Yours, 5.11.
13) David Axelrod - Song Of Innocence, 4.35.
14) Soft Boys - I Wanna Destroy You, 2.52.
15) Bridezilla - Western Front, 2.35.
16) Roy Budd - Get Carter, 3.00.
"U2 routinely spent a year in the studio...I have a theory: if you put four monkeys in the studio for a year with Lanois and Eno and Lillywhite, they would make a pretty good record, too."

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 26 Nov 2010, 09:27

Magilla wrote:Thought you might've liked this. The great Jackie Mittoo with 'Stereo Freeze' from The Keyboard King On Studio One. If you want a cool cross of Hammond and reggae, he is the man.

He is, isn't he? I've picked up a few of his records this year, they're instant winners aren't they?

Jumper k

Postby Jumper k » 26 Nov 2010, 13:29

OK mixmaniacs! Da Fonk is contained within my mix this month. Shed loads of it. A perfect winter wonderland.

Track 1 is groovy piano driven funk instrumental. Swings like a 70's fondue party. I like this a lot.

Next up us Memphis Back with Why Don't You Play That Organ. Superb Hammond driven thing that instantly wants to make you shake your ass and walk like a chicken. Blinding!

Continuing in the funk theme some dirty Southern horn inflected lowdown bass repetetive locked groove with some muddied vocals. Almost Waitsian.

On to the bassline that Massive ripped for Safe From Harm. So its Billy Cobham with Stratus. Absolutely stellar bass and guitar interplay with piano chords draped on top. Nice.

Latin extravaganza starts off like Steely Dan and morphs into Oye Como Va stylings with upfront trumpets and bongotastic rhythms.

Lounge in a latin style. Very funky and very insistant! I am having a good time! All right! This is like a South American version of KC and The Sunshine Band. Great guitar solo to sign off with. Cool!

Modern funk I believe. The guitars the thing! Fun party-time dance record. I like this, although the vocals are almost too upfront.

Cuban Latino funk! Pearly Queen with Quit Jivin'. Smoooooth. The whole funk anthology lp is fabulous. Get with the beat baggy!

This is great! Sounds real 70's. Lovely vocals with top harmonising. Propulsive drums and bass, love to know who this is.

Expressway To Your Heart and mine! Faultless.

Another top track. Sumptuous horn led soulful funk. The vocal has that rasp that really draws you in, it all speeds up into one gorgeous horn/hammond/bass soup to finish off.

Last track has some weird harpsichorean plucking which then turns into Marion Williams.Got It! This is my favourite of the whole damn funky shebang.

One of the best comps I've had all year. A real keeper.
Top work fellah/fellahesse.

Magilla
Otago Mago

Postby Magilla » 26 Nov 2010, 23:55

bhoywonder wrote:
Magilla wrote:Thought you might've liked this. The great Jackie Mittoo with 'Stereo Freeze' from The Keyboard King On Studio One. If you want a cool cross of Hammond and reggae, he is the man.

He is, isn't he? I've picked up a few of his records this year, they're instant winners aren't they?

I've only got that album and it's superb. Going from your comment looks like his others are too.
"U2 routinely spent a year in the studio...I have a theory: if you put four monkeys in the studio for a year with Lanois and Eno and Lillywhite, they would make a pretty good record, too."

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 27 Nov 2010, 10:24

Magilla wrote:
Filthy McAngetsiby wrote:]Track 13 – I can’t wait for the reveal of this one, coz i goddam love it and it’s driving me mad - I’m sure I know it, or have heard it, but just can’t get the name out. Absolutely beautiful – the tune, the arrangements, the sounds, everything. By turns mellow and funky, sensual and spiritual; instrumental soulfulness of the highest order.

David Axelrod, 'Song Of Innocence' from Song Of Innocence. Bloody amazing, isn't it ?

Yes, of course! I heard some Axelrod tunes at a friend's place about a year or so ago, and Song Of Innocence must have been one of 'em. I was thinking i must search out some of his stuff, but as usually happens i completely forgot about it. :roll:

Well, remedied that immediately today - got on the phone and found an HMV that had this in stock...

It's got Song Of Innocence, plus hopefully it'll gimme a taste of some of his other stuff. Cheers Magilla!

There's some other stuff there that's making my throat quite ticklish as well, i must say, so may be dropping you a note for some advice soon, mate. ;)
Jonny Spencer wrote:

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 27 Nov 2010, 17:49

I waited too long on this one and I apologize. I really enjoyed this disc, played it four or five days, but just realized this morning I hadn't reviewed it.

1. Starts out with a rootsy power poppy number. I wasn't crazy about the lead singer's rough voice and thought the background singers might've carried this kinda tune better, but overall it works.

2. Nice handclappy start. Again vaguely power poppy. The double lead guitars were cool.

3. I haven't listened to this for a long time, but I think it's Mick Ronson from his Slaughter album. At first I thought it was Bowie, which didn't surprise me after I figured out who it was.

4. This I recognized right away. One of my favorite Be Bop Deluxe songs. When I was teenager, I bought their greatest hits album knowing nothing about them except I liked their name.

5. Another kind of '70s glammy ballad. This was fun.

6. This is a version of Terry Reid's Speak Now (or Forever Hold Your Peace), but it's not him, at least not the ones I have of him, or Cheap Trick. I liked this version.

7. Nice little descending dual guitar intro and took awhile to figure out. I like Billy Squier and would probably be the only one on BCB who could claim to trade a fairly rare Dead album for Billy Squier in my college dorms. And think they got the better deal.

8. This was kinda Crowded Houses sounding. Which is never a bad thing.

9. Nice little weird guitar and vocals opening---Beatlesque. This is the stuff I like.

10. A song about Elliot. Very Anglo-sounding, and the kind of Power Pop I like. I kept wondering if this was about Eliott Smith. The 16 ounces in a pound line was neat.

11. Kinda Creedence sounding start, but more power poppy harmonies. I've heard this one and like it.

12. The pace quickens. Nice riff to open it. Pure Fountains of Wayne.

13. Slows back down. This is the kinda song where the head doesn't bob forward and back but side to side.

14. This sounds modern power poppy too. Good stuff.

15. This wasn't my favorite. I didn't like the singer too much. I'm interested to hear who this is.

16. This one's much better. This would fit very well on one of the International Pop Overthrow comps.

17. I've definitely heard this one before. I don't know who it is but I liked it then and like it now.

18. The mix ends up a loud mid-tempo number. Good ending.

Except flipping 1 and 18, this was really damn good. One of my favorite mix club discs ever.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 27 Nov 2010, 19:09

First off huge apologies to Whodathunkit as I've had this for some time, but got overtaken by events last weekend when I meant to review.

Anyway it seems the "Jumper K Insultosaurus" can go back on the shelf for another month. Plenty to enjoy here....

1) A bright breezy start with a couple of crooners singing in uptempo mode about Paul Revere and his horse. The style of singing over each other makes it more difficult to pick out who is singing, if indeed I should know. Slightly corny but it ‘s hard to dislike this sort of stuff.
2) A lowdown fuzzy twang gives way to one of those Waitsian disciples. A kind of half spoken, half sung thing in the manner of Jim White or Johnny Dowd et al. This is right up my street.
3) As is this. Starts off like a New Orleans funeral march, then a great bluesy laid back vocal kicks in. The brass throughout is terrific.
4) I did like this and it ticks all the boxes, although it would somehow be easy to damn with faint praise. A great funky bass intro gives way to a smooth vocal. The only issue I have is that it falls between two stools a bit. It can’t make its mind up. A bit too funky to be sweet soul, and a bit too sweet and smooth to be outright funky. But minor quibbles, still ultimately a tick from me.
5) This one however plays down the funk a bit and settles in a lovely easy groove. Great stuff.
6) Almost back in New Orleans for a second or two, but then this settles into a female jazzy vocal style. I wasn’t sure about this, but then in really takes off and gets a bit mental. Sounds a bit like Imelda May.
7) I’m sure I recognise the song, but I’m struggling to place the singer. I keep thinking Gil Scott Heron, but I don’t think it is. Terry Callier too springs to mind. It definitely has that vibe. Good stuff again.
8) Not quite so keen on this. Not hating it and it could even grow on me, but the singer is a bit too weak to sell the song on first listening.
9) Some of the playing had me warming a bit to this but I couldn’t really get with that Gerorgie Fame/Mose Allison style hipster schtick.
10) Some great playing here. All manner of guitar styles mixed together. It really shouldn’t work and yet.....
11) Mama Cass sings Joni. What’s not to love ? She also recorded Jesus Was A Crossmaker of course, so Cass certainly knew a good tune when she heard it.
12) And right on cue here’s Joni. This is a rarity of sorts, but I do have it. Hunter, which comes bundled with the download available of Summer Lawns demos, although this purports to be a Blue outtake I believe, although to me it sounds earlier. Has all the simplicity and charm that I love about pre Blue Joni.
13) Well it would be hard for me not to know who this is, given the stage announcement, although it took me a while to identify this as the completion of the “Joni trio”.
14) Sounds familiar. I’d guess this was a newer soul song. I’ll be checking this out further for sure.
15) This is such a basic template for a whole load of jug band/acoustic blues recordings, that it would be easy to dismiss this as “by numbers”. Not that I mind it. I have enough stuff like this lurking in my collection. Works for me.
16) I ended up really liking this. It started out with what seemed like an interminable intro like some hip psych raga thing, but with the vocals on top it somehow all came together. Really rather lovely.
17) You’ll need to put me out of my misery with this one. It’s great and I know I know that voice. I keep thinking Gary Clark or Donald Fagen but I’m not convinced on either.
18) This voice I do know of course. Sandy and magnificent of course.
19) I’m pretty sure this is Gerry Marsden singing. This is really rather good and a lot closer to the trademark Beatles sound than some of their sappier singles.

Thanks Bob.
We're way past rhubarb

Return to “Mix Club”