October 2010 Reviews

Exchange mix CDs with each other.
T. Willy Rye
Spinner of crazy fuck-ass shit

Re: October 2010 Reviews

Postby T. Willy Rye » 02 Nov 2010, 03:54

Sgt Pepper wrote:An absolute corker this month: soul, funk, jazz and everything in between.
I had a pretty great model to work from. I’m still enjoying tracks from your May Mix.

1. Classy piece of bluesy soul to kick us off. Great vocals, great arrangement, great wah-wah. Great.
1. Starts off with Mary Love from the comp. Bay Area Funk Volume 2. Born to Live With Heartache.

2. A mix of latin funk, jazz swing and afro-beat groove. I love the understated trumpetry and the wild percussion. The track goes off on several tangents during its nine and a half minutes and if it were twice as long it would still be too short
2. I love pretty much everything I’ve heard from Ebo Taylor here accompanied by some ensemble known as the Sweet Beans. This comes from the recently released Afro-Beat Airways well worth your attention if you haven’t already picked it up. This one has been killing me lately- the keyboards are insane.

3 This has become a firm favourite, it's quite unusual. It just sounds like an impromptu party. And that bass!
3. Pass the Hatchet by Roger and the Gypsies from Saturday Night Fish Fry.

4. This is Sugar Pie DeSanto - Soulful Dress. Love the effortless Chess guitar.
4. Right you are.

5. Sweaty southern organ funk. This sounds very familiar and is almost certainly on one of the many funk comps troubling my CD shelves. Can't place it though.
5. The Gators with Cold Beer. I’ve seen their stuff on other comps, but this one comes from Funk Drops Volume 1.

6. I'm digging how the piano and guitar bounce off each other - it's almost country funk. Strong vocals too - a convincing lament.
6. King Feeb threw some Swamp Dogg my way last month and I decided to check out his work as a producer on this piece called “Can’t Win for Losing” by Bette Wiliams.
7. These kind of funk instrumentals can often get a bit repetitive and go nowhere but this one really takes off and is well worth its long(ish) running time.
7. Honky Tonk Popcorn by the Pacific Rhythm Combo is certainly repetitive, but it affords an opportunity for their organist to go off, which I’m all for. I’m listening as I’m typing now, even my 3 year old finds it difficult to resist its groove.

8. Laid-back afro
8. Afica Boogaloo by Le Grande Kalle, Don Gonzalo, and Manu Dibango.
9. Decent soul - my only real criticism would be that it's a bit too tight and restrained considering the lyrics. i think that it would have benefitted from being a bit rawer.
9. Fair enough, but I love the vocals. I’m Gonna Start a War by Barbara and the Browns

10 Another great jazzy soul instrumental that sounds familiar. I'll kick myself when this is revealed.
10. It’s Gonna Rain by Gentleman June Gardener from the New Orleans funk comp.

11. Liquid bass - it sounds like its dripping out of my speakers. The guitar's not too shabby either.
11. Rough Rider by the Hygrades from one of them Soundway comps that I know you’re fond of.
12. Big band African funk fun. The lead trumpet is terrific and even the flute sounds great. There's so much going on here it's crazy. This manages to be really sophisticated yet primeval. A blast.
12. Bukom Mashie from Oscar Sulley and the Uhuru Dance Band. One of these days I will do an all Soundway comp. From Ghana Soundz.
13 A jaunty wee oddity from Latin America somewhere (I won't embarrass myself by trying to guess anymore specifically). The spacey synth stuff is unlike anything else I've heard from within the genre so I reckon that I'll have a lot of post-reveal work to do.
13. Muchachita del Oriente from Los Mirlos on the Roots of Chiche comp.
14 There just aren't enough frenzied bongo solos in music these days.
14. Agreed. Wild Rice from Eddie Lockjaw Davis.
15 Another excellent slice of West African funk.
15. Gbeti Madjiro by Orchestro Poly Rhythmo De Cotonou. From African Scream Contest comp.
16 Slowing things down a bit, it's time for some smooth jazz club noodlings. Within its own context it would be fine, but at 8.30 minutes it perhaps outstays its wecome here a little bit.
16. Mustang by Donald Byrd. I’ve been shoving Lee Morgan down everybody’s throat so thought I’d go with another great Blue Note trumpet player. In the future I will try to resist the temptation to pack these discs with 80 minutes of music.
17 This is the majestic Ann Pebbles and it's about as perfect as music gets.
17. You are right again.
18 And some sweet deep soul to see us out. I love te gospel feel.
18. I almost feel sorry the woman who takes him on. It sounds like he has a lot of pent up… frustration. The Moovers with Someone to Fulfill My Needs from Numero’s Eccentric Soul Series V. 7
So there you go - front to back excellence. This is exactly where my head is right now and it could easily have been compiled by me. I'm looking forward to te reveal, there should be lots of new stuff to investigate and lots of old stuff to rediscover. Cheers.

That’s how I felt when I got yours a couple months back.

1. Born to Live With Heartache- Mary Love
2. Odofo Nyi Akyiri Biara – Ebo Taylor and the Sweet Beans
3. Pass The Hatchet by Roger and the Gypsies
4. Soulful Dress by Sugar Pie Santo
5. Cold Beer- The Gaturs

6. Can’t Win for Losing by Bette Williams

7. Honky Tonk Popcorn by the Pacific Rhythm Combo

8. Africa Boogaloo by Le Grande Kalle, Don Gonzalo, and Manu Dibango

9. I’m Gonna Start a War by Barbara and the Browns

10. It’s Gonna Rain by Gentleman June Gardener

11. Rough Rider by the Hygrades

12. Bukom Mashie from Oscar Sulley and the Uhuru Dance Band

13. Muchacita del Oriente- Los Mirlos

14. Wild Rice- Eddie Lockjaw Davis

15. Gbeti Madjiro by Orchestro Poly Rhythmo De Cotonou

16. Mustang by Donald Byrd

17. I Feel Like Breaking Up by Anne Peebles

18. Someone to Fulfill My Needs by the Moovers

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 02 Nov 2010, 04:31

A really nice collection of songs, that Ive listened to a fair bit, and it keeps getting better, nice mix of loud and quiet tracks that are all pretty much up my street.

1. A nice intro snippet with some dialouge from The Wicker Man
2. Not sure who this is, some nice chiming guitar and vocals, definitely my kind of music as is most of this disc.
3. A piano and cello thing, again no idea who this is but its a nice romantic singer songwriter thing abut love and rowboats. Is this David Ackles ?
4. A folky acoustic track, nice female vocal and nice violin in the background.
5. Some nice loud distorted guitar, sounds kindof familiar. Really like the guitar sound , a rather Velvety thrash, very nice.
6. This is a really interesting track very very weird production, sounds almost like two different songs playing together at some points due to a weird sort of delay.
7. A very nice Dylanesque track circa Blonde on Blonde, with some nice organ and guitar.
8. Acoustic track, female vocal. Very nice folky thing. I recognise this voice from somewhere.
9. A dialogue snippet mentioning playing with U2?
10. Live recording of an instrumental, nice rhythm - almost Joy Divisiony type drums in places.
11. Nice acoustic and echoey wah wah on this track. A kindof sixties vibe, but sounds like a recent recording.
12. Nice drums, I know who this but I can't but my finger on it.
13 Archangel Thunderbird by Amon Duul II - fantastic track , introduced to me by the one and only King Feeb, its actually on my own mix disc this month. Fantastic vocal and just amazing guitar, an all time fave classic.
14. Nice acoustic folk track, very enjoyable, and sounds kinda familiar too.
15 Hit it and Quit it Funkadelic
16 Kinda Jonish fold track. Very lovely. Is this Linda Perhacs ?
17. MC 5 Over and Over - love it.

beenieman

Postby beenieman » 02 Nov 2010, 19:31

dgs wrote:Thanks to the supplier of my October disc, a suitably Halloween themed disc.

That was me. Reveal, and review of disc received, to come.
One night, an evil spirit held me down
I could not make one single sound
Jah told me, 'Son, use the word'
And now I'm as free as a bird

Magilla
Otago Mago

Postby Magilla » 02 Nov 2010, 23:28

Mike Boom wrote:A really nice collection of songs, that Ive listened to a fair bit, and it keeps getting better, nice mix of loud and quiet tracks that are all pretty much up my street.

Hi Gary, really glad you liked it, I figured you'd be into a bunch of folk, singer-songwriterish stuff, plus a chunk of noisy guitar rock, so did a things along those lines for ya...

1. A nice intro snippet with some dialouge from The Wicker Man

The Wicker Man soundtrack, 'Appointment With The Wicker Man'. Just thought this'd make a cool intro. Have you seen the movie ? It's superb (the recent re-make with Nicholas Cage is crap, however).

2. Not sure who this is, some nice chiming guitar and vocals, definitely my kind of music as is most of this disc.

Street Chant, 'Pen Dog' from Means. A superb young Auckland trio that've just released an album on Arch Hill. I saw them supporting the 3Ds on their re-union tour back in February and though they were fantastic.

3. A piano and cello thing, again no idea who this is but its a nice romantic singer songwriter thing abut love and rowboats. Is this David Ackles ?

The man himself, with 'A Photograph Of You' from Five & Dime. A vastly under-rated singer-songwriter.

4. A folky acoustic track, nice female vocal and nice violin in the background.

The Wicker Man soundtrack, 'Willow's Song'. According to the sleeve notes most of the music was done by a British folk group called Magnet, but I don't know much else about them or even if they did a "regular" album.

5. Some nice loud distorted guitar, sounds kindof familiar. Really like the guitar sound , a rather Velvety thrash, very nice.

Spacemen 3, 'Revolution' from Playing With Fire. A great song from one of the best British bands of the '80s. Jason Pierce would next form Spiritualized.

6. This is a really interesting track very very weird production, sounds almost like two different songs playing together at some points due to a weird sort of delay.

Red Crayola, 'Pink Stainless Tail' from Parable Of The Arable Land. A cool bit of psychedelia from this '60s Texan outfit. Singer-guitarist Mayo Thompson would later go on to produce assorted '80s indie acts including The Fall, Primal Scream and The Chills' debut Brave Words.

7. A very nice Dylanesque track circa Blonde on Blonde, with some nice organ and guitar.

David Blue, 'If Your Monkey' from David Blue. Blue was part of Dylan's early-mid '60s circle, so no surprise there's similarities. As with Ackles, Blue's a very under-rated figure as well.

8. Acoustic track, female vocal. Very nice folky thing. I recognise this voice from somewhere.

Anne Briggs, 'Ride, Ride' from The Time Has Come. One of the greats of British folk.

9. A dialogue snippet mentioning playing with U2?

Scottish post-punk wonders The Fire Engines, 'Clip' from Codex Teenage Premonition. Yep, just a, er, clip of one of the Fire Engines talking about an up-coming gig with U2 (probably sometime in 1980 or 1981).

10. Live recording of an instrumental, nice rhythm - almost Joy Divisiony type drums in places.

Fire Engines, 'Plastic Gift' from Codex Teenage Premonition. A bit lo-fi, but yeah, great pulsating rhythms and scratchy guitars.

11. Nice acoustic and echoey wah wah on this track. A kindof sixties vibe, but sounds like a recent recording.

Meic Stevens, 'Rowena' from Outlander. Stevens was a late '60s, early '70s singer-songwriter. This is a track from his only major label release, before becoming yet another lost cult act.

12. Nice drums, I know who this but I can't but my finger on it.

The truly great early '80s North Shore new wavers Screaming Meemees with 'Coloured Day' from Stars In My Eyes comp of their album and singles.

13 Archangel Thunderbird by Amon Duul II - fantastic track , introduced to me by the one and only King Feeb, its actually on my own mix disc this month. Fantastic vocal and just amazing guitar, an all time fave classic.

Yep, cool song.

14. Nice acoustic folk track, very enjoyable, and sounds kinda familiar too.

C.O.B, 'Oh Bright Eyed One' from Moysh McStiff And The Tartan Lancers Of The Sacred Heart. This was Clive's Original Band, who were led by ex-Incredible String Band guy Clive Palmer.

15 Hit it and Quit it Funkadelic

Sure is !

16 Kinda Jonish fold track. Very lovely. Is this Linda Perhacs ?

That's indeed her, with 'Call Of The River' from the wondrous Parrallelograms.

17. MC 5 Over and Over - love it.

The one and only !

Glad you liked the mix !

TRACKLISTING:

1) The Wicker Man soundtrack - Appointment With The Wicker Man, 1.18.
2) Street Chant - Pen Dog, 3.37.
3) David Ackles - A Photograph Of You, 3.19.
4) The Wicker Man soundtrack - Willow's Song, 4.40.
5) Spacemen 3 - Revolution, 5.59.
6) Red Crayola - Pink Stainless Tail, 3.15.
7) David Blue - If Your Monkey, 3.00.
8) Anne Briggs - Ride, Ride, 3.21.
9) Fire Engines - Clip, 0.13.
10) Fire Engines - Plastic Gift, 2.38.
11) Meic Stevens - Rowena, 4.41.
12) Screaming Meemees - Coloured Day, 2.53.
13) Amon Duul II - Archangels Thunderbird, 3.33.
14) C.O.B - Oh Bright Eyed One, 3.43.
15) Funkadelic - Hit It And Quit It, 3.50.
16) Linda Perhacs - Call Of The River, 3.51.
17) MC5 - Over And Over, 5.13.
"U2 routinely spent a year in the studio...I have a theory: if you put four monkeys in the studio for a year with Lanois and Eno and Lillywhite, they would make a pretty good record, too."

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 03 Nov 2010, 04:23

1) The Wicker Man soundtrack - Appointment With The Wicker Man, 1.18.
2) Street Chant - Pen Dog, 3.37.
3) David Ackles - A Photograph Of You, 3.19.
4) The Wicker Man soundtrack - Willow's Song, 4.40.
5) Spacemen 3 - Revolution, 5.59.
6) Red Crayola - Pink Stainless Tail, 3.15.
7) David Blue - If Your Monkey, 3.00.
8) Anne Briggs - Ride, Ride, 3.21.
9) Fire Engines - Clip, 0.13.
10) Fire Engines - Plastic Gift, 2.38.
11) Meic Stevens - Rowena, 4.41.
12) Screaming Meemees - Coloured Day, 2.53.
13) Amon Duul II - Archangels Thunderbird, 3.33.
14) C.O.B - Oh Bright Eyed One, 3.43.
15) Funkadelic - Hit It And Quit It, 3.50.
16) Linda Perhacs - Call Of The River, 3.51.
17) MC5 - Over And Over, 5.13.

Ahhh the Screaming MeeMees, thats it, what a great band they were! David Blue is a name that I know from various Dylan books, interesting to finally here what he sounds like!

Duncan

Postby Duncan » 03 Nov 2010, 12:38

T. Willy Rye wrote:1. Born to Live With Heartache- Mary Love
5. Cold Beer- The Gaturs

[/color]

After cross-referencing this with my iTunes it turns out that I actually have ten of these tracks. I really need to spend more time listening to all my soul/funk comps rather than just impulsively buying them. I adore that African Scream Contest CD - I can't believe that I didn't pick up on that one at least.
Anyway, I'll definitely be checking out some of the unfamiliar artists in more depth and will almost certainly be impulsively buying more comps soon afterwards as a result. Thanks again.
Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb...

T. Willy Rye

Postby T. Willy Rye » 03 Nov 2010, 12:47

Sgt Pepper wrote:
T. Willy Rye wrote:1. Born to Live With Heartache- Mary Love
5. Cold Beer- The Gaturs

[/color]

After cross-referencing this with my iTunes it turns out that I actually have ten of these tracks. I really need to spend more time listening to all my soul/funk comps rather than just impulsively buying them. I adore that African Scream Contest CD - I can't believe that I didn't pick up on that one at least.
Anyway, I'll definitely be checking out some of the unfamiliar artists in more depth and will almost certainly be impulsively buying more comps soon afterwards as a result. Thanks again.

Let me know if you want anything.

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 03 Nov 2010, 12:57

Nolamike wrote:15. Orchestre Poly-Rythmo de Cotonou Dahomey - "Gbeti Madjro"

T. Willy Rye wrote:15. Gbeti Madjiro by Orchestro Poly Rhythmo De Cotonou

:lol:

Not only did we both use the same track on our mixes this month, but we both had it as the fifteenth track.

Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.

Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 03 Nov 2010, 15:02

Review of BCB Mix Oct 2010

My disc arrived from overseas on the 29th but has been played several times over the last few days.

1. John Cale – ‘Gravel Drive’. This reminds me I must pull this album out. I liked both his recent records.
2. I reckon this is called ‘Cluster Bomb’. Nice violins and spinnet. Slightly reminiscent of the High Llamas vocally.
3. Slightly anaemic power-pop. The vocal is too reticient. It reminds me of Cardinal/Eric Matthews/Richard Davies. There’s something just too diffident – the guitar hangs back when it should jump out of the speaker a bit more. Not bad though, just less than it could be.
4. This one I like a lot. The guitar/bass parts sound familiar but I can’t think from where. The voice is, too. The singer is concerned with a girl called Mary. Could have done without the false endings but very good.
5. This voice! It must be Pat DiNizio of the Smithereens, yes? Great chamber pop piece. Gonna have to dig out my copies of Especially For You and Green Thoughts now.
6. An acoustic ballad with male and female voices. Grows on me more with each play. Is it called ‘No Place to Fall’?
7. This is about a drunken clown and fits well with the last track at the beginning. After the band comes in it’s less compelling; I think I need to pay attention to the words to get full satisfaction from this.
8. I’ve heard this on youtube – it’s ‘Jacksonville’ by Justin Townes Earle, isn’t it? I really like the album he put out this year but haven’t explored backward yet.
9. Atmospheric stuff. Coldplay textures with echoes of Mark Hollis – or even the guy from Counting Crows - in the vocal (it’s the slight bleating, I think).
10. A swift right turn. Sugar – ‘A Good Idea’. Brixton Academy, 1994: good days!
11. Lemonheads – ‘Rudderless’. One of the albums of that year. Claire and I saw them about 4 times in 18 months.
12. This is power pop, ‘Baby It’s You’. Late seventies I fancy from the production touches. I could easily listen to an album of this stuff.
13. Fuzzier, and earlier, like something off Nuggets. Raucous harmonica.
14. Similar Nuggets vibe on this. He’s a goo goo doll? A good little run building up here.
15. And earlier still! This has the flavour of a 50s track, about a rock & roll nurse – ‘she went to my head’.
16. This has the same vintage: instructions for a dance, “wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle!” This disc is finishing in a very different mode than it began.
17. We seem to have settled down chronolgically. Lots of inarticulacy on the chorus. I don’t think I’d chase down any more of this necessarily, but it works perfectly here.
18. A slightly latin feel on this one on which a girl sings of her ‘big black handsome man’?
19. Next up is a punky take on ‘Both Sides Now’. Awesome. Love it.
20. A short lullaby to bring the disc to a close. I like it, though. ‘Tears that Angels Cry’.

I think this disc got better and better as it went on. Although there were some good tracks at the beginning the real meat came after the halfway point for me. Tracks 10-19 make a fantastic pop-party playlist; more of that would have put this into the shortlist for best mix discs ever. However I don’t want to do down the first half – there were some great songs there; they just got overshadowed by the second half.

Thanks for this!
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

John_K
driven by lists

Postby John_K » 03 Nov 2010, 16:29

Afternoon Simon, as you probably worked out your disc arrived courtesy of myself, glad to see you enjoyed it for the best part.

I'd been browsing through the shelves and came across the John Cale and thought I'd like to use that this month, from then on I set myself the task to build the mix on the fly, I had to pick and add the next track to the playlist before the previous track had finished. No editing afterwards and aiming for 20 tracks max, what you received was the end result...

comrade moleskin wrote:Review of BCB Mix Oct 2010

My disc arrived from overseas on the 29th but has been played several times over the last few days.

1. John Cale – ‘Gravel Drive’. This reminds me I must pull this album out. I liked both his recent records.

Correct, quite a lovely track.

2. I reckon this is called ‘Cluster Bomb’. Nice violins and spinnet. Slightly reminiscent of the High Llamas vocally.

Correct with the title, this is Pugwash whose lead man forms one half of the Duckworth Lewis Method with Neil Hannon. I hadn't considered the High Llamas comparison before, must dig some of those and compare.

3. Slightly anaemic power-pop. The vocal is too reticient. It reminds me of Cardinal/Eric Matthews/Richard Davies. There’s something just too diffident – the guitar hangs back when it should jump out of the speaker a bit more. Not bad though, just less than it could be.

:D The Left Banke with She May Call You Up Tonight

4. This one I like a lot. The guitar/bass parts sound familiar but I can’t think from where. The voice is, too. The singer is concerned with a girl called Mary. Could have done without the false endings but very good.

Rain Parade with Look at Merri

5. This voice! It must be Pat DiNizio of the Smithereens, yes? Great chamber pop piece. Gonna have to dig out my copies of Especially For You and Green Thoughts now.

Love it, it is The Smithereens with Belinda Carlise (AFAIR) with Blue Period. I used this once before in Mix Club where it fell on deaf/cloth ears...

6. An acoustic ballad with male and female voices. Grows on me more with each play. Is it called ‘No Place to Fall’?

You've got to get his, or any others, they're wonderful - Isobel Campbell and Mark Lanegan with No Place to Fall.

7. This is about a drunken clown and fits well with the last track at the beginning. After the band comes in it’s less compelling; I think I need to pay attention to the words to get full satisfaction from this.

The late great Townes Van Zandt with Fare Thee Well, Miss Carousel

8. I’ve heard this on youtube – it’s ‘Jacksonville’ by Justin Townes Earle, isn’t it? I really like the album he put out this year but haven’t explored backward yet.

Close, but no cigar... From Pneumonia, it's Whiskeytown with Jacksonville Skyline.

9. Atmospheric stuff. Coldplay textures with echoes of Mark Hollis – or even the guy from Counting Crows - in the vocal (it’s the slight bleating, I think).

From Dublin, The Frames with the Jane Campion inspired Angel at My Table

10. A swift right turn. Sugar – ‘A Good Idea’. Brixton Academy, 1994: good days!

Bang on! A stormer!

11. Lemonheads – ‘Rudderless’. One of the albums of that year. Claire and I saw them about 4 times in 18 months.

From one of my favourite albums ever! Never got to see the Lemonheads, but we managed to get to a midnight gig Evan Dando performed here in Dublin a few weeks after the triplets were born, we lasted about 4 songs and fell asleep in our seats :shock:

12. This is power pop, ‘Baby It’s You’. Late seventies I fancy from the production touches. I could easily listen to an album of this stuff.

And som you should... Phil Seymour with Baby It's You

13. Fuzzier, and earlier, like something off Nuggets. Raucous harmonica.

Some Nederbeat in the mix, The Outsiders with Won't You Listen.

14. Similar Nuggets vibe on this. He’s a goo goo doll? A good little run building up here.

The mighty Cramps with Goo Goo Muck

15. And earlier still! This has the flavour of a 50s track, about a rock & roll nurse – ‘she went to my head’.

I acquired this from a blog on a collection called Songs the New York Dolls Taught Us which is great, this is Bo Diddley with Pills

16. This has the same vintage: instructions for a dance, “wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle!” This disc is finishing in a very different mode than it began.

Asian entertainment for the troops I think is the story, this is Sodsai Chaengkil with Shake Baby Shake

17. We seem to have settled down chronolgically. Lots of inarticulacy on the chorus. I don’t think I’d chase down any more of this necessarily, but it works perfectly here.

Screamin' Jay Hawkins with Little Demon

18. A slightly latin feel on this one on which a girl sings of her ‘big black handsome man’?

Returning to Dublin with our new rockabilly queen, Imelda May with Big Bad Handsome Man

19. Next up is a punky take on ‘Both Sides Now’. Awesome. Love it.

Fantastic, I love it too, Jason Falkner...

20. A short lullaby to bring the disc to a close. I like it, though. ‘Tears that Angels Cry’.

Emitt Rhodes with Lullabye

I think this disc got better and better as it went on. Although there were some good tracks at the beginning the real meat came after the halfway point for me. Tracks 10-19 make a fantastic pop-party playlist; more of that would have put this into the shortlist for best mix discs ever. However I don’t want to do down the first half – there were some great songs there; they just got overshadowed by the second half.

Thanks for this!

You're very welcome, glad it was well received and if I can help further feel free to shout!

Tracklisting:

01 Gravel Drive - John Cale
02 Cluster Bomb - Pugwash
03 She May Call You Up Tonight - The Left Banke
04 Look at Merri - Rain Parade
05 Blue Period - The Smithereens
06 No Place to Fall - Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan
07 Fare Thee Well, Miss Carousel - Townes Van Zandt
08 Jacksonville Skyline - Whiskeytown
09 Angel At My Table - The Frames
10 A Good Idea - Sugar
11 Rudderless - The Lemonheads
12 Baby It's You - Phil Seymour
13 Won't You Listen - The Outsiders
14 Goo Goo Muck - The Cramps
15 Pills - Bo Diddley
16 Shake Baby Shake - Sodsai Chaengkij
17 Little Demon - Screamin' Jay Hawkins
18 Big Bad Handsome Man - Imelda May
19 Both Sides Now - Jason Falkner
20 Lullabye - Emitt Rhodes

T. Willy Rye

Postby T. Willy Rye » 03 Nov 2010, 23:35

Nolamike wrote:

Not only did we both use the same track on our mixes this month, but we both had it as the fifteenth track.

I'll put it down to coincidence this time, but if Big Jon Patton and selections from Bay Area Funk V.1 and 2 start showing up regularly on your comps then we got a problem.

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 04 Nov 2010, 01:37

T. Willy Rye wrote:
Nolamike wrote:

I'll put it down to coincidence this time, but if Big Jon Patton and selections from Bay Area Funk V.1 and 2 start showing up regularly on your comps then we got a problem.

Fine, you can have 'em, but if ya look at my playlists, you'll see I've got dibs on New Orleans stuff, so hands off Roger and the Gypsies and the Gaturs! :lol:
Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.

Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

T. Willy Rye

Postby T. Willy Rye » 04 Nov 2010, 04:06

:lol:[/quote]
I'll put it down to coincidence this time, but if Big Jon Patton and selections from Bay Area Funk V.1 and 2 start showing up regularly on your comps then we got a problem.[/quote]

Fine, you can have 'em, but if ya look at my playlists, you'll see I've got dibs on New Orleans stuff, so hands off Roger and the Gypsies and the Gaturs! :lol:[/quote]

Well played. I can see you are not to be taken lightly. Does this mean I get Sly?

dgs

Postby dgs » 04 Nov 2010, 08:22

penk wrote:An interesting mix this month, hopping around a number of styles and being largely interesting and enjoyable all the way through despite pushing the full 80 minutes.

Thanks, mixer: like I said, I enjoyed the CD, especially its unpredictable nature and though it was a mixed bag there were more hits than misses. I look forward to the reveal.

Ed, this was me, reveal tonight once I get back home.

Cheers.
I'm a panic depressive and suffer from manic attacks. :(

NickC

Postby NickC » 04 Nov 2010, 19:05

Okeedokee, here is the revue of my received mix for October.

1. We kick off with the wonderful Roy Orbison and Running Scared. We're onto a winner out of the blocks.

2. A complete change now and a slight country rock blues number in the Vaughan/Healey style. A roadhouse type feel with a great production.

3. A fine rendition of When I Write The Book. I have Rockpile doing this, but not as polished as this. Has a clean 80s feel to it. Im sure ive heard this singer before!

4. Moving from the polished 80s into a rawer Stax soul vibe. Great lyrics that include snippets from nursery rhymes.

5. This follows the last track nicely. Sweet Thing...the kind of track you see all the great musicians playing, Duck Dunn etc. Wouldnt be out of place in the Blue Bros. s/t.

6. We're definately sticking with the foot tappers. A funk soul punch with a great vocal. I think this is a more upto date modern track than the previous tracks, but sits well with the mix.

7. A cover of Al Green's It Aint Fun To Me. Jazzed up and more in the mix than Al's. Again, fits with the uptempo soul vibe so far.

8. OK, another cover with the mix firmly in the 'lets turn up the heat' setting. This time its the Contour's First I Look At The Purse. Isnt that harp solo excellent!

9. Fast paced number..sock it to me baby! Soul in the Ray Charles party mode. I think I may have this somewhere, but for the life of me cant remember who it is. Another one that would fit in the Blues Bros/Commitments s/t...at the closing scene when all the kids go crazy.

10. 3 Dog Night and Mamma Told Me Not Too Come. Nothing wrong here.

11. Leaving the stax/soul flavour and moving into a garage tinged riff rocker. Keeping the pace up though.
Catchy and great hook. Frenetic and fun.

12. The only instrumental here..but doesnt let the side down. Starts with a spanish style chord sequence and then opens into a fast paced rockabilly run. Why does the accordian work so well :) Whoever is playing that lead has hot digits!

13. The only oddity on the mix. A strange almost alt style rock number with echoey vocal. A unsettling crashed violin melange..and then it stops. This undoubtedly will grow on me.

14. Why Dont You Come Home Bill Bailey? A stunning piece of picking accompanies a nice bluesy feel vocal. The sparcest track on the mix, but its simplicity is its appeal.

Well, in all honesty not a bad track here. The mix flows very well and the pace stays nicely uptempo. A great mix to keep in the car as its a good driving disc. Many thanks to my mixer!

dgs

Postby dgs » 04 Nov 2010, 22:46

An interesting mix this month, hopping around a number of styles and being largely interesting and enjoyable all the way through despite pushing the full 80 minutes.

Hi Ed, yep this was me this month. I have been ripping a lot of stuff to my HD therefore what you got was a collection of some new stuff, some old stuff and some stuff that I have been listening to of late.

So,

Track 1 - One of those tracks where the guy counts in every instrument and they then start a medley of covers of well-known songs, which are fun but not as good as the originals.

1. This Is Soul 14 of 14 - Paul Nero – Found this one on an old breakbeat comp which contained loads of tracks that have been sampled down through the 90’s on all sorts of records. I thought this would be a good starter, bit tongue in cheek. The guy is actually a german saxophonist, took me a bit by surprise when I look him up.

Track 2 - Very listenable soul with neat bassline.

2. Walk Like A Man - Johnny Moore – Bit of Northern Soul next, Johnny Moore is one of the drifters. I like this one, as you say listenable soul without being too obscure.

Track 3 - 'Three is the Magic Number'. The original, not the De La Soul version. Not a song I have much fondness for. There is a mobile network called Three in Sweden and if you call anyone who's on the network, you get to hear this instead of the ringing tone. I avoid making friends with people who use the network.

3. Three Is The Magic Number - Bob Dorough – bloody typical, I thought this was a real find, the original over the more known De La Soul version. What were the odds. Apparently it was used in a sesame street type programme back in the day.

Track 4 - A fruity alcoholic doing an impression of Johnny Cash, covering an REM song. I don't think words like "good" or "bad" really apply here.

4. Star Me Kitten - R.E.M. Feat. William S. Burroughs – A novelty piece but one of interest I think. I can’t stand burroughs but this works well enough to spark a degree of interest.

Track 5 - Groovy reggae organ track that I definitely know, but the name of which escapes me right now. Nice, anyhow.

5. Liquidator - Harry J Allstars – I am amazed that you didn’t get this one. Great track this one and very popular in footballing circles I understand especially Stamford bridge.

Track 6 - And now a man talks about insects before we go into a slower organ groove with a lazy backbeat and some crackly, fuzzy noises going on. Just the right side of coffee-table "chill-out".

6. Insects Are All Around Us - Money Mark – the beastie boys keyboard player from the days of yore. This came out on mo’ wax when it was a great label.

Track 7 - Someone noodling pleasantly on a twangy tremolo guitar for a few minutes, while someone else does their harpsichord practice in the next room. Intriguing,

7. Feelin' Bad Blues - Ry Cooder – from the soundtrack to crossroads. I love the slide guitar and this is a great piece of slide guitar.

Track 8 - Nice melodic duet - is it Lee and Nancy? I wasn't much impressed by the album of theirs I listened to, but I liked this one. If it is them, of course.

8. Sand - Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood – It is indeed. I think the album is one of the best duet albums made, but horses for courses.

Track 9 - Someone playing a computer game with one hand and twiddling on a marimba with the other while shouting a bit. Oddly listenable.

9. (I Don't Care If You) Never Come Back - Silver Apples & Spectrum – I am a sucker for sonic boom and this collaboration with the NY knob twiddlers silver apples is the right side of intriguing.

Track 10 - Someone who's listened to a lot of Doors. It's actually quite a good track, but there's something about it I just don't like.

10. Bad Vibrations - The Black Angels – recent release from 2010, the black angels are the nu wave in psych. Don’t see the doors myself, much more Vu and 13th Floor elevators influence.

Track 11 - Nice woozy instrumental. Nearly sent me to sleep, but in a good way.

11. Silver Factory Redux (Sonic Boom Remix) - Dean & Britta - Taken form the Andy Warhol screenshots thing, this is has sonic all over it, in a far better way than the work he did with MGMT.

Track 12 - Electro-pop groover with falsetto vocal. Somewhere in between "cheesy" and "likable".

12. Can't Stay With You Baby - Jimi Tenor – Scandinavian saxophonist, released on WARP back in the day, his name comes form his favourite artist, Jimi Hendrix and his sax, tenor.

Track 13 - Unlistenable '80s comedy funk with lyric about foodstuffs. Possibly from a kids' TV show. A really annoying kids' TV show.

13. Bread And Butter - Devo – Micky Rourke, Kim Bassinger, 9 ½ weeks.

Track 14 - I know this. Don't I? Atmospheric, fairly minimal electronic backing with lots of reverb, accompanying a pretty, slow duet. I'm sure I recognise it, but what is it?

14. Honey - Altar Eagle – This is on type, one of the best labels of the last few years. Husband and wife combo, the male of which records as the north sea. The reviews say shimmering dream pop, and I cannot disagree, one of the top albums of 2010.

Track 15 - More chaotic electronic thing, lots of different bits twiddling away. More annoying than enjoyable, this one.

15. Music for a Found Harmonium (Pandaharmoniumorb Mix) - Penguin Café Orchestra – The orb at their destructive/constructive best. Is this a mix for cash? Probably, but I love the way they take the original and make it more beat driven but keep the melody intact and come on any track that samples a baseball organist fiddling on his organ has to be acknowledged for that.

Track 16 - Still in an electronic zone, this one's OK but sounds very dated and goes on for ages.

16. O'Locco (Kama Sutra) – Sun Electric – A real oldy this one, out on R&S way back at the start of the artificial intelligence birth. Brings back good memories for me.

Track 17 - Very nice piano-and-electronics piece. Something I possibly have but don't recognise off the top of my head.

17. Waking Expectations - Rafael Anton Irisarri – amazed that you didn’t get this one, if you don’t have this get it. It is a sublime album.

Track 18 - 17 would probably have been a better closer than this (especially as the CD started skipping halfway through this one), an OK track which seems to bridge punk-funk, synthpop and stadium rock without really making much impression.

18. Gravitate To Me - The The – taken from the much underrated mind bomb album this is Matt Johnston. Another one from my yoof that resonates very much.

Thanks, mixer: like I said, I enjoyed the CD, especially its unpredictable nature and though it was a mixed bag there were more hits than misses. I look forward to the reveal.

As ever glad that there ws something of interest amongst the tracks.

1. This Is Soul 14 of 14 - Paul Nero
2. Walk Like A Man - Johnny Moore
3. Three Is The Magic Number - Bob Dorough
4. Star Me Kitten - R.E.M. Feat. William S. Burroughs
5. Liquidator - Harry J Allstars - Harry J Allstars
6. Insects Are All Around Us - Money Mark
7. Feelin' Bad Blues - Ry Cooder
8. Sand - Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood
9. (I Don't Care If You) Never Come Back - Silver Apples & Spectrum
10. Bad Vibrations - The Black Angels
11. Silver Factory Redux (Sonic Boom Remix) - Dean & Britta
12. Can't Stay With You Baby - Jimi Tenor
13. Bread And Butter - Devo
14. Honey - Altar Eagle
15. Music for a Found Harmonium (Pandaharmoniumorb Mix) - Penguin Café Orchestra
16. O'Locco (Kama Sutra) – Sun Electric
17. Waking Expectations - Rafael Anton Irisarri
18. Gravitate To Me - The The
I'm a panic depressive and suffer from manic attacks. :(

TG

Postby TG » 05 Nov 2010, 02:17

Okay, I'm finally getting this review done. Sorry for the tardiness.

Overall a pretty good mix - mostly hits and a couple of misses. Several that I want to hear more from.

Track 1 - A sort of modern day blues. Instrumentally it sounds very much like a Mark Lanegan record. Vocally, not so much. I really like this track and would easily buy this to explore further. I had this track on repeat in my car and listened several times. A keeper.

Track 2 - I don't know what this is called but it's by International Noise Conspiracy - A band I should explore further. I don't know a lot about them but I always find them interesting when I hear them.

Track 3 - Sweet soul. A little too sweet and string laden for me. I think I have this. The Stylistics? The Mad Lads? Some Philly group? I own a lot of records like this one but this isn't quite getting it for me. The lead vocal is a bit weak. Not terrible, but neither is it great.

Track 4 - Got Love If You Want It but by who? Great harp sound and a version that's pretty true to Slim Harpo's. I like this.

Track 5 - Another great track that fits well with the last one. A female vocalist, probably southern US and it falls comfortably between R&B and soul. Another one I'd pursue once I know who it is.

Track 6 - A very bizarre guitar instrumental. Primitive, poorly recorded, repetitive and I think I love it. I'm guessing T-Model Ford or someone similar. It's under 2 minutes and that's my only complaint.

Track 7 - More primitivism. These folks have listened to The Velvets, Syd era Floyd and the Ramones a lot. Walls o' fuzz guitar, simple, simple drums and buried vocals. Nothing really wrong here but not my cup of tea.

Track 8 - Guitars, bass and drums. Loud and direct. Simple but effective harmonies. Doubled guitar on the solo. This is good and it's growing on me as I type. 70's US proto punk influenced. Not bad.

Track 9 - Interesting. Loud guitars, kinda punk and then the horns come in. Could be The Saints? Another winner. Not dissimilar to the last track but I think they were American. These folks probably aren't.

Track 10 - I love this track. I've no idea what it is but it sounds like a Chinnichapp production. Very glam in its way. This is probably my favorite track on this mix.

Track 11 - I don't know what to make of this. It's one of those tracks that is astounding when it's playing but I don't know that I'd ever play it in real life. A mashup of The Beatles' Within You Without You, The Doors' It's Too Late and, I think, Hendrix' Fire. It's astonishingly inventive and I can never figure out how people know which songs will fit together like this. But, as I said, I'd never play it except as a party trick.

Track 12 - Not really for me. Brit folk about whale hunting. Gotta be The Waterboys or something. It's very earnest.

Track 13 - This one is all over the place. Almost a full minute of instrumental opening section, then vocals, then manic guitar. This is just sort of going right by me. Too much going on and not enough hook.

Track 14 - No idea what language this is. I suspect that the gentleman singing is his country's David Thomas. This one misses for me.

Track 15 - A lengthy middle Eastern (?), mostly instrumental track that makes me wish I had some hashish or opium and a dark, smoky room. What vocals there are are half whispered and unintelligible. Not good in the car but I could chill out at home to this.

Overall a very enjoyable mix. Thanks to the mixer and I'm looking forward to finding out what several of these tracks are.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 05 Nov 2010, 03:23

NickC wrote:Okeedokee, here is the revue of my received mix for October.
I was your mixer and like you write at the end, my ambitions are nothing more for mix club than having a disc for your car and saying to yourself, "Ya know, I kinda liked that disc John sent me," and playing it once in a blue moon, so glad you took it for what it was meant.

Reading your reviews, you call a lot of the songs on your disc, so I both wanted to make ya feel good and make you guess a little.

1. We kick off with the wonderful Roy Orbison and Running Scared. We're onto a winner out of the blocks.
Yeah, probably my favorite of his. I love the way it builds and builds.

2. A complete change now and a slight country rock blues number in the Vaughan/Healey style. A roadhouse type feel with a great production.
It's the Fabulous Thunderbirds from Texas with Jimmy Vaughn on guitar. One's Too Many (and a Hundred Ain't Enough). Don't I know it?

3. A fine rendition of When I Write The Book. I have Rockpile doing this, but not as polished as this. Has a clean 80s feel to it. Im sure ive heard this singer before!
This is Huey Lewis and the News. I love the horns on this version.

4. Moving from the polished 80s into a rawer Stax soul vibe. Great lyrics that include snippets from nursery rhymes.
This is the Coasters with (Ain't That) Just Like Me.

5. This follows the last track nicely. Sweet Thing...the kind of track you see all the great musicians playing, Duck Dunn etc. Wouldnt be out of place in the Blue Bros. s/t.
This is the great Don Covay. It's "thang," not thing.

6. We're definately sticking with the foot tappers. A funk soul punch with a great vocal. I think this is a more up to date modern track than the previous tracks, but sits well with the mix.
This is retro soul artist Ryan Shaw with Nobody. I hope this guy puts out another album soon.

7. A cover of Al Green's It Aint Fun To Me. Jazzed up and more in the mix than Al's. Again, fits with the uptempo soul vibe so far.
This is Larry Graham with Graham Central Station.

8. OK, another cover with the mix firmly in the 'lets turn up the heat' setting. This time its the Contour's First I Look At The Purse. Isnt that harp solo excellent!
The J. Geils band sure did justice to this.

9. Fast paced number..sock it to me baby! Soul in the Ray Charles party mode. I think I may have this somewhere, but for the life of me cant remember who it is. Another one that would fit in the Blues Bros/Commitments s/t...at the closing scene when all the kids go crazy.
Ha, it's the original blue-eyed blues brother! It's Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels with Sock it To Me, Baby.

10. 3 Dog Night and Mamma Told Me Not Too Come. Nothing wrong here.
Yeah, I love this too.

11. Leaving the stax/soul flavour and moving into a garage tinged riff rocker. Keeping the pace up though. Catchy and great hook. Frenetic and fun.
Listening to my disc, I felt it didn't really fit in, but liked it too. It's The Fieros with One Woman.

12. The only instrumental here..but doesnt let the side down. Starts with a spanish style chord sequence and then opens into a fast paced rockabilly run. Why does the accordian work so well :) Whoever is playing that lead has hot digits!
This is Los FabuLocos with Burnin' the Chicken. I wisht they'd gone on another couple minutes.

13. The only oddity on the mix. A strange almost alt style rock number with echoey vocal. A unsettling crashed violin melange..and then it stops. This undoubtedly will grow on me.
This is Bobby Bare, Jr. with Strange Bird. Check out his new album.

14. Why Dont You Come Home Bill Bailey? A stunning piece of picking accompanies a nice bluesy feel vocal. The sparcest track on the mix, but its simplicity is its appeal.
This is Big Bill Broonzy.

Well, in all honesty not a bad track here. The mix flows very well and the pace stays nicely uptempo. A great mix to keep in the car as its a good driving disc. Many thanks to my mixer!

Hey, glad you liked it.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

beenieman

Postby beenieman » 05 Nov 2010, 06:47

dgs wrote: Thanks to the supplier of my October disc, a suitably Halloween themed disc.

I called it “Halloweeny” as it’s more themed rather than scary – hence no Monster Mash
dgs wrote: 1. Nice intro to the disc as we have the “theme” to the outer limits. I will use this in the future in one of the mix discs. Cheers!

The Outer Limits TV Theme Intro. Imagine what I thought when I saw my manyhattedfriend had chosen this for his October disc as well. The fiend. Anyways a suitable start.
dgs wrote: 2. With a wolf in mind this one has to be titled little red riding hood. It’s a 60’s track, no idea as to who it is. There are times it sounds a bit like Mick Jagger way back in the day but there is no way he could howl like that.

Sam The Sham & The Pharaohs - Li’l Red Riding Hood. A big hit (#1 USA) back in the 60’s when songs about being a predator were more acceptable than they should have been. And that’s a good thing about Mix Club, I’ve been listening to this since 1966 and I never thought of Jagger before but the influence is there alright.
dgs wrote: 3. Arthur Brown – Fire. Not much you can say about this one other than he must have been well mad to wear a burning hat back in the day.

Not much to say at all. He peaked at the start of his career with this. Magnificent.
dgs wrote: 4. No idea again as to who this is but it could be called Lucifer? This has a very 60’s psych sound swirling organs and all sorts of this, certainly keeps with the theme of the disc.

The Bob Seger System with Lucifer. Early days for Bob. He was a Detroit act fighting for club gigs with the likes of Iggy back then.
dgs wrote: 5. This starts like something else I am quite familiar with the most excellent soundtrack to moon by Clint Mansell but it is actually Cliff Richard – Devil Woman. I can safely say that I had never ever expected to receive any Cliff in the mix club. I won’t be using this one in future mixes.

Some bias here. There’s lots of great Cliff tracks. This is a latter one and still his only big US hit and probably the only Halloween suitable track he ever made.
dgs wrote: 6. Female vocalist this time, guess it is called Magic Man. Keeps with the theme of the disc but not one that I would seek out.

Heart - Magic Man. The UK/US taste divide shows itself. They’re a Seattle band. Lots of hits and they had that seventies groove down pat.
dgs wrote: 7. This is great, spoken vocals over deep and dirty psych bluesy swamp sounding track. Really liked this one.

Jim Stafford - Swamp Witch. His first hit but he’s best known for Spiders & Snakes. Very underrated. He had a number of good songs in this vein.

dgs wrote:
8. Warron Zevon – Werewolves of London. Very clever lyricist, one has to say that. Never really got in Zevon that much but this one is a good sing a long track that works well with the disc as a whole.

Warren Zevon - Werewolves Of London. Another rather obvious track for this mix. Still my favourite Zevon track.
dgs wrote: 9. Voodoo Woman but not the Hendrix one. I’m going to guess this is a 70’s track on the basis of the screeching guitar solo at about 1.30mins but then the Hammond makes me thing its 60’s. I like this one again, it’s the vocal delivery that makes this interesting.

Simon Stokes & The Nighthawks Voodoo Woman. From 1969. Seems to be a chap who slipped under everyone’s radar. His myspace page is a treat.
http://www.myspace.com/thesimonstokes
dgs wrote: 10. Gypsies this time, Love Potion No. 9. No idea who it is but it as a kind of jazzy feel to it. Nice sax.

The Clovers Love Potion No. 9. The original version. Dig those fifties lyrics. Great sax.
dgs wrote: 11. Thriller – Jacko, the short version, thankfully. Classic and all that I understand but I can’t stand this track. Don’t know what it is about it, just does my nut in. Too many family parties probably.

Shame you don’t like it. He ruled the world once, rightfully so. Includes Vincent Price.
dgs wrote: 12. Ghostbusters – Ray Parker Jr. Ruined in the UK by the 118118 ads. I am expecting the monster mash soon!

I’ve never understood the idea that hearing a good song too much spoils it. We’re not doing well here are we?
dgs wrote: 13. Bad to the Bone, I can never remember who the artist is and it always surprises me as to when this was first released as you think it should be much older than it actually is.

George Thorogood & The Destroyers. He did get an older sound didn’t he. Not much else I like from him.
dgs wrote: 14. Bad Moon Arising, no idea as to who the singer is though but I am pretty sure it’s a cover.

Creedence Clearwater Revival. It’s the original. Another ‘sure thing’ for a Halloween disc. Still one of the best songs ever made.
dgs wrote: 15. Is this Fleetwood Mac with Black Magic Woman, I think it is.

Santana Black Magic Woman~Gypsy Queen. They are covering Fleetwood Mac. I had the original on the disc but this sounded more hallowoweeny. Some great playing leading into the track.
dgs wrote: 16. Quirky little spooky instrumental to finish, very Boris Karloffesque.

The Outer Limits TV Theme (End Title). Toomanyhatz used this as well!
dgs wrote: Thanks to the mixer for a well themed disc. Always difficuLt I think working to a theme but this worked well and it was something that the whole family could enjoy with a mix of the obscure and the well known. That said there is never any excuse for Cliff.......... ;)
Cheers

A few misses it seems. I’ll have to use Cliff more :D

Here’s the track list. All the best.

1. The Outer Limits TV Theme Intro 1.08
2. Sam The Sham & The Pharaohs Li’l Red Riding Hood 2.44
3. The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown Fire 2.56
4. The Bob Seger System Lucifer 2.27
5. Cliff Richard Devil Woman 3.35
6. Heart Magic Man 5.27
7. Jim Stafford Swamp Witch 3.49
8. Warren Zevon Werewolves Of London 3.28
9. Simon Stokes & The Nighthawks Voodoo Woman 2.29
10. The Clovers Love Potion No. 9 1.54
11. Michael Jackson Thriller 5.27
12. Ray Parker Jr. Ghostbusters 4.08
13. George Thorogood & The Destroyers Bad To The Bone 4.53
14. Creedence Clearwater Revival Bad Moon Rising 2.20
15. Santana Black Magic Woman~Gypsy Queen 5.19
16. The Outer Limits TV Theme (End Title) 1.03
One night, an evil spirit held me down
I could not make one single sound
Jah told me, 'Son, use the word'
And now I'm as free as a bird

Jumper k

Postby Jumper k » 05 Nov 2010, 10:32

TG wrote:Okay, I'm finally getting this review done. Sorry for the tardiness.

Overall a pretty good mix - mostly hits and a couple of misses. Several that I want to hear more from.

Track 1 - A sort of modern day blues. Instrumentally it sounds very much like a Mark Lanegan record. Vocally, not so much. I really like this track and would easily buy this to explore further. I had this track on repeat in my car and listened several times. A keeper.

This is the Seattle collective Satchel featuring the very marvellous Shawn Smith. Its called Might As Well Be Dead and its taken form this years lp Heartache and Honey. They run the gamut from lo-fi electronica to straight up rock and blues. I love 'em.

Track 2 - I don't know what this is called but it's by International Noise Conspiracy - A band I should explore further. I don't know a lot about them but I always find them interesting when I hear them.

Good recognition. Lyxzen's band after Refused area whole different proposition. Much more accessible with fantastic hooks. This is A New Language taken form The First Conspiracy lp. All 5 lps are pretty much indispensible.

Track 3 - Sweet soul. A little too sweet and string laden for me. I think I have this. The Stylistics? The Mad Lads? Some Philly group? I own a lot of records like this one but this isn't quite getting it for me. The lead vocal is a bit weak. Not terrible, but neither is it great.

The Mad Lads with Seeing Is Believing.

Track 4 - Got Love If You Want It but by who? Great harp sound and a version that's pretty true to Slim Harpo's. I like this.

Its the Barbara Lynn version. You can never have enough Barbara Lynn.

Track 5 - Another great track that fits well with the last one. A female vocalist, probably southern US and it falls comfortably between R&B and soul. Another one I'd pursue once I know who it is.

Carol Fran with I'm Gonna Try. From Lafayette LA.
http://tempoblues.com/Tempo%20Blues%20E ... 20Eng.html

Track 6 - A very bizarre guitar instrumental. Primitive, poorly recorded, repetitive and I think I love it. I'm guessing T-Model Ford or someone similar. It's under 2 minutes and that's my only complaint.

Ass Welt Boogie by Bassholes. I like stripped down and basic as much as the next man but this takes it one step backwards. Nice!

http://www.intheredrecords.com/pages/bassholes.html

Track 7 - More primitivism. These folks have listened to The Velvets, Syd era Floyd and the Ramones a lot. Walls o' fuzz guitar, simple, simple drums and buried vocals. Nothing really wrong here but not my cup of tea.

Its The Jesus And Mary Chain with the demo for Upside Down.

Track 8 - Guitars, bass and drums. Loud and direct. Simple but effective harmonies. Doubled guitar on the solo. This is good and it's growing on me as I type. 70's US proto punk influenced. Not bad.

C'Mon with Safer When. An Ian Blurton project. Ian is one of Canada's better known indie rockers. Blurtonia is his better known band and worth checking out.
http://www.myspace.com/thisiscmon

Track 9 - Interesting. Loud guitars, kinda punk and then the horns come in. Could be The Saints? Another winner. Not dissimilar to the last track but I think they were American. These folks probably aren't.

The awesomeness that is Rocket From The Crypt. You may have heard I like them a little. This is Transcendent Crankiness, a cover of the Nephews track from Disc 2 of the On A Rope 3 disc single on Elemental. Vital.

Track 10 - I love this track. I've no idea what it is but it sounds like a Chinnichapp production. Very glam in its way. This is probably my favorite track on this mix.

Slade with Coz I Luv You. Written by Noddy and Jim and released in October 1971. Produced by Chas Chandler. Pretty much every Slade single from this period is a belter. I'm sure you know that though.

Track 11 - I don't know what to make of this. It's one of those tracks that is astounding when it's playing but I don't know that I'd ever play it in real life. A mashup of The Beatles' Within You Without You, The Doors' It's Too Late and, I think, Hendrix' Fire. It's astonishingly inventive and I can never figure out how people know which songs will fit together like this. But, as I said, I'd never play it except as a party trick.

This is BCB's very own ccc with Its Far Too Late from his magnum opus with ill chemist Cracked Pepper. Its the only way I can listen to the festering four.

Track 12 - Not really for me. Brit folk about whale hunting. Gotta be The Waterboys or something. It's very earnest.

Seth Lakeman with Race To Be King.

Track 13 - This one is all over the place. Almost a full minute of instrumental opening section, then vocals, then manic guitar. This is just sort of going right by me. Too much going on and not enough hook.

Scottish miserablist Malcolm Middleton with Brighter Beat. Taken from the lp of the same name.

Track 14 - No idea what language this is. I suspect that the gentleman singing is his country's David Thomas. This one misses for me.

This is Tricky with Hakim from this years lp Mixed Race. I'm a massive fan, he's better known for his work with Massive Attack and his first lp Maxinequaye.

Track 15 - A lengthy middle Eastern (?), mostly instrumental track that makes me wish I had some hashish or opium and a dark, smoky room. What vocals there are are half whispered and unintelligible. Not good in the car but I could chill out at home to this.

Talking of which this is Massive Attack and the State Of Bengali remix of Inertia Creeps. I think you've accurately described the ideal listening environment. :D

Overall a very enjoyable mix. Thanks to the mixer and I'm looking forward to finding out what several of these tracks are.

Glad you found something to like, I had fun putting it together.

Tracklisting
1. Might As Well Be Dead - Satchel
2. A New Language - International Noise Conspiracy
3. Seeing Is Believing - The Mad Lads
4. Got Love If You Want It - Barbara Lynn
5. I'm Gonna Try - Carol Fran
6. Ass Welt Boogie - Bassholes
7. Upside Down - Jesus And Mary Chain
8. Safer When - C'Mon
9. Transcendent Crankiness - Rocket From The Crypt
10. Coz I Luv You - Slade
11. Its Far Too Late - ccc/Ill Chemist