11. Motel Matches/ Elvis Costello
12. Pitfalls/ Film School
13. Sorry Somehow/ Husker Du
14. Pretty Bird/ Jenny Lewis
15. Black Dogs & Bubbles/ Quasi
16. Plenty of Room/ Barbara & the Browns
17. Mystifies Me/ Son Volt
18. Undone/ DeVotchKa

Quite a few suprises and lots to unpick here. Many thanks!

T. Willy Rye
Spinner of crazy fuck-ass shit

Re: June 2010 - Reviews

Postby T. Willy Rye » 12 Jul 2010, 14:47

Oscar47 wrote:
T. Willy Rye wrote:Disc 1
1. Master Groove/ Henry Peters & the Imperials
2. Do That Thing/ The Halo Benders
3. Shadow Dancers/ George Benson
4. It's Gonna Be A Mess/ The Mighty Dogcatchers
5. Movin' Out/ Don Wilkerson
6. Chapter 12/ The Embarrassment
7. In The Jungle/ The Hygrades
8. I'm the Loving Physician/ Jimmy Hughes
9. Wavy Gravy/ Kenny Burrell
10. Welfare Bread/ King Khan and the Shrines
11. Do it Funky/ Len Woods
12. Very Saxy/ Eddie Lockjaw Davis
13. Moving-Grooving/ Little Francisco Greaves
14. The Yodel/ Big John Patton
15. It's A Hang Up Baby/Z.Z. Hill
16. Back Home Soul/ Down Tones
17. Mr. Tough/ Yo La Tengo
18. The Kick Back/ Willie Tell and the Overtures
19. El avispon/ Silvstre Montez y sus Guantanameros
20. Git Back/ Sugar Pie DeSanto

Disc 2
1. Some Trees (Merritt Moon)/ Cymbals Eat Guitars
2. Hot Burrito No. 2/The Flying Burrito Brothers
3. Poor Girl/X
4. Oviedo/ Blind Pilot
5. In A Sentimental Mood/Duke Ellington & John Coltrane
6. Quiero Wapacha/ Charles Lembe
7. Mad Tom of Bedlam/ Jolie Holland
8. Foggy Minded Breakdown/ The Blacks
9. Spider's House/ Califone
10. Let's Not Pretend (To Be New Men)/ Crooked Fingers
11. Motel Matches/ Elvis Costello
12. Pitfalls/ Film School
13. Sorry Somehow/ Husker Du
14. Pretty Bird/ Jenny Lewis
15. Black Dogs & Bubbles/ Quasi
16. Plenty of Room/ Barbara & the Browns
17. Mystifies Me/ Son Volt
18. Undone/ DeVotchKa

Quite a few suprises and lots to unpick here. Many thanks!

You're welcome! (I think) what do you mean by unpick?

Jumper k

Postby Jumper k » 12 Jul 2010, 14:49

Right pop pickers!

A mixed bag this month all the way from Sweden.
1. Fuzzed out garage rock. Short, gnarly guitar, rough as a badgers arse vocals and all kicks in at well under 3 minutes. Groovy!
2. African tinged funk with a real sub Temptations theme going on. Great bassline. Like it.
3. Psychedelic organ led pop. Nothing special but OK.
4. Lightweight off-kilter indie pop with quirky time change. Slide guitar and harmonica background refrains almost sound spaghetti western/ Morricone like. Unusual and intriguing.
5. Horrible synth Eurodance monstrosity. Next!
6. Attack of the Ghostriders by Raveonettes I believe. Not heard this for a while.
7. ? African guitar led tune. Sunny and bright, absolutely no idea who it is as I never listen to this sort of thing. Its not unpleasant though.
8. What sounds like Gary Numan with a broken amp. And a kazoo. Instrumental wig out with some unintelligible wailing over the top. Its not bad actually. Is it Kate Bush on an acid trip?
9. Speed punk brother to track 1. Shorter and groovier!
10. Jazz funk instrumental. Nice sax break but at nearly six and half minutes long my interest waned way before it finished.
11. Lovely Southern Gothic Americana. The Builders and the Butchers I think.
12. Almost power pop, reminds me of Power Of Dreams a bit. Very propulsive drumming, doesn't outstay its welcome.
13. Bit like Deadbolt in the way the riff is the thing. Its primitive. Fairly dull to be honest.
14. Great horn driven tune with some wild drumming and nice understated organ pinning it down. Something I could see myself grooving on the dancefloor to, maybe in some seedy dive in Soho with Moddie after a London JU. A winner.
15. Da Fonk. Very hypnotic track. Interesting almost out of tune piano riff.
16. Like a mash up between Hawkwind and the Mary Chain. Not as bad as that sounds. Wibbly synth madness with insistent background bass riff and some nice power chord thrashing.
17. Cowbell driven ambient noodling. Sounds like a modern Tubular Bells. The horror, the horror...
18. It Is No Secret What God Can Do. I'm familiar with Elvis' version but this is frankly better. Stripped down, simple, perfect.

So, almost all hits. Tracks 5, 13 and 17 I can do without. Tracks 2, 9, 14 and 18 are the standouts. Thanks mix dude.

John_K
driven by lists

Postby John_K » 12 Jul 2010, 15:17

Thanks to my mixer for this month's mix, thankfully the World Cup is only every 4 years, being at home all the time made it even more of a distraction...

01 Nice acoustic folk pop opener, the vocal really reminds me of Mike Scott but I'm guessing is actually from the other side of the pond. This jaunts along nicely and will bear repeated plays.

02 This is so familiar and I'm going to kick myself when I see the reveal as I'm quite convinced I own this! There's a real Doors-y feel to the vocal, am I so puzzled that it is them? Or something inspired by and of a more recent vintage…

03 Nice piece of US(?) indie guitar? Carries along at a nice old pace, enjoyable.

04 These guys have turned up on a previous Mix Club disc for me, it's Frightened Rabbit isn't it? With Midnight Organ Fight - wonderful…

05 Firm favorite round here, The Go-Betweens with The Clark Sisters.

06 Is this Gang of Four, it's an idea I can't get out of my head now! Can't place the track as I type…

07 I like this, but I'm not connecting with it as I type, for some odd reason I can't focus on it and it slips right by me. Odd experience...

08 Powerful ballad, driven by some nice organ playing. I've listened to some Genesis and Traffic recently which had me looking back at those for clues, the track wasn't there but would have fitted in with one of them.

09 Certain similarities with the previous track, although this is propelled along with some nifty fret work and a more bluesy feel to the vocal, but I'm guessing a similar vintage.

10 This one cracks along at a frantic pace doesn't it? Squawly guitar and impressive drums with a jazzy feel, like it…

11 Another bluesy rock styled tune, I don't have a lot of material like this so the reveal will be of interest.

12 Folky singer-songwriter ballad, pleasant but not staying with me right now…

13 This is lovely, female folky track 'Fools in Love'. I've lots of material similar to this, but not this one, looking forward to finding out who…

14 The late Elliott Smith with Between the Bars, hadn't heard this in quite a while, thanks for the reminder.

15 Familiar instrumental piece, reminiscent of something used in a quiter moment in The Godfather or something of that genre, lovely…

16 Beautiful piano led piece to gently close things off and I'm drifting away nicely...

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 12 Jul 2010, 18:32

toomanyhatz wrote:
John Riley - Tim O'Brien (The Crossing)
Ciara - Luka Bloom (Salty Heaven)
Cupido - Los Super Seven (Heard It on the X)
Green Brooms/Humours Of Kill Clougher - Danú (Think Before You Think)
Piazzolla: Mumuki - Yo-Yo Ma (Soul Of The Tango - The Music Of Astor Piazzolla)
Timshel - Mumford & Sons (Sigh No More)
What It Is - Paul McCartney (Run Devil Run)
Every Little Thing - T-Bone Burnett (Twenty Twenty: The Essential T Bone Burnett)
E Is Missing - John Cale (5 Tracks)
Speed Trials - Elliott Smith (Either/Or)
St. James Infirmary - Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan (Ramblin' Man [EP])
The Big Reel Of Ballynacally/The High Hill/Flash Away The Pressing Gang - Solas ( Sunny Spells And Scattered Showers)
The Boy's Still Running - Oysterband (Meet You There)
Don't You Know - Kevin Tihista's Red Terror (Don't Breathe A Word)

Cheers Dave. No I don't have the Oysterband but I do jave the T-Bone and Lanegan/Campbell. About par for me Mix Club wise :D
We're way past rhubarb

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 12 Jul 2010, 20:48

John_K wrote:Thanks to my mixer for this month's mix, thankfully the World Cup is only every 4 years, being at home all the time made it even more of a distraction...

I couldn’t believe it when I got you again. Is it 3 or 4 times? It sent me into a bit of a panic because I’m struggling to find new material and you’ve had most of my back-catalogue so I couldn't re-cycle. Still, I don’t seem to have done too bad. :)

01 Nice acoustic folk pop opener, the vocal really reminds me of Mike Scott but I'm guessing is actually from the other side of the pond. This jaunts along nicely and will bear repeated plays.
1 Little Things In Life 03:41 Green On Red
Never really noticed the Mike Scott resemblance before but, yes you're right - sort of. I got the album that this is from when it first came out at the beginning of the 90's but I haven't listened to it for over 10 years so I thought I would share the reunion with you.

02 This is so familiar and I'm going to kick myself when I see the reveal as I'm quite convinced I own this! There's a real Doors-y feel to the vocal, am I so puzzled that it is them? Or something inspired by and of a more recent vintage…
2 We Ask You To Ride 04:54 Wooden Shjips
New group, very Doorsy. I was alerted to these by a track on the May Mix I received in... erm... May.

03 Nice piece of US(?) indie guitar? Carries along at a nice old pace, enjoyable
3 After The Call 03:06 Electrelane
Brighton. All-girl group.

04 These guys have turned up on a previous Mix Club disc for me, it's Frightened Rabbit isn't it? With Midnight Organ Fight - wonderful…
4 Fast Blood 03:49 Frightened Rabbit
It was probably/possibly me that sent it to you last time.

5 The Clarke Sisters 03:21 The Go-Betweens
The second best track by The Go-Betweens

06 Is this Gang of Four, it's an idea I can't get out of my head now! Can't place the track as I type…
6 I Found That Essence Rare 03:14 Gang Of Four
One of the very few punk(ish) bands that I’m able to forgive.

07 I like this, but I'm not connecting with it as I type, for some odd reason I can't focus on it and it slips right by me. Odd experience...
7 Ibiza Bar 03:19 Pink Floyd
I’m not a big Floyd fan but I absolutely adore some of their stuff. This is taken from the soundtrack album “More” which I’m quite fond of.

08 Powerful ballad, driven by some nice organ playing. I've listened to some Genesis and Traffic recently which had me looking back at those for clues, the track wasn't there but would have fitted in with one of them.
8 No Time To Live 05:02 Traffic
Well done. I like that soprano sax but Windwood’s voice is quite something on this. I think structurally the song is a bit flimsy though.

09 Certain similarities with the previous track, although this is propelled along with some nifty fret work and a more bluesy feel to the vocal, but I'm guessing a similar vintage.
9 How's Your Father 04:45 Patto
Ollie Halsalsl’s guitar work on this is absolutely sublime. I love the lyrics too. A rambling story not too unlike some of Rod Stewarts compositions. In fact Mike Patto’s voice is a bit Rod too.

10 This one cracks along at a frantic pace doesn't it? Squawly guitar and impressive drums with a jazzy feel, like it…
10 8 Mad Grim Nits 04:34 May Blitz
It’s absolutely blistering.

11 Another bluesy rock styled tune, I don't have a lot of material like this so the reveal will be of interest.
11 I Fall Apart 05:12 Rory Gallagher
I think this must probably be my favourite Gallagher.

12 Something's Wrong 02:59 Gene Clark
Haven’t used a Gene Clark Track for a while. There’s certainly no shortage of gems to choose from.

13 This is lovely, female folky track 'Fools in Love'. I've lots of material similar to this, but not this one, looking forward to finding out who…
13 Fools In Love 04:42 Inara George
I was more attracted to the novelty of it being an interesting cover of the wonderful original by Joe Jackson. Lowell George’s daughter, apparently.

14 The late Elliott Smith with Between the Bars, hadn't heard this in quite a while, thanks for the reminder.
14 Between The Bars 02:21 Elliott Smith
You’re welcome!

15 Familiar instrumental piece, reminiscent of something used in a quiter moment in The Godfather or something of that genre, lovely…
15 Humming chorus 03:16 Puccini

16 Beautiful piano led piece to gently close things off and I'm drifting away nicely...
16 Casting no shadow 11:33 Wim Mertens

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 12 Jul 2010, 21:28

Jumper k wrote:A mixed bag this month all the way from Sweden.

Well it'll come as no surprise to learn that I was your mixer, then. I'm just glad you seemed to like a good deal of it: I had a hell of a time tearing myself away from the football and trying to figure out what you might go for.

1. Fuzzed out garage rock. Short, gnarly guitar, rough as a badgers arse vocals and all kicks in at well under 3 minutes. Groovy!

Teengenerate - Dressed in Black
One of Japan's premier '90s garage punk revival outfits. Of course.

2. African tinged funk with a real sub Temptations theme going on. Great bassline. Like it.

King Sunny Adé and His African Beats - Ja Fun Mi
This kind of thing is apparently called jùjú. As far as I can make out it's basically psychedelic dub-funk.

3. Psychedelic organ led pop. Nothing special but OK.

The Chambers Brothers - All Strung Out Over You
They're better known for their ace version of 'Midnight Hour', but they had one or two other cool tracks as well.

4. Lightweight off-kilter indie pop with quirky time change. Slide guitar and harmonica background refrains almost sound spaghetti western/ Morricone like. Unusual and intriguing.

Anna Järvinen - Tänker Inte Säga Mer
I'm not sure about this one myself but I threw it on anyhow as I knew you had a secret folky thing going on; Järvinen has done a couple of well-received albums of indie-folk here in Sweden, with help from Gustav Ejstes from the more internationally-renowned Dungen.

5. Horrible synth Eurodance monstrosity. Next!

Ferenc - Vinagreta
I thought you might like a bit of Spanish techno. I guess you don't need any further details on this one, then...

6. Attack of the Ghostriders by Raveonettes I believe. Not heard this for a while.

Robert Johnson and the Punchdrunks - Rocket True Temper 20 Oz
Well, unless my iTunes is tagged wrongly and it is the Raveonettes track. This Robert Johnson is a tubby Swedish guy in a black t-shirt who does punked-up surf covers.

7. ? African guitar led tune. Sunny and bright, absolutely no idea who it is as I never listen to this sort of thing. Its not unpleasant though.

Opotopo - Belema
I have no idea who Opotopo is really, but there are brackets on iTunes suggesting that someone by the name of Easy Kabaka Brown is involved. I'll take iTunes' word for it. Anyway, a cool track from the popular Nigeria Special comp that came out a year or two ago.

8. What sounds like Gary Numan with a broken amp. And a kazoo. Instrumental wig out with some unintelligible wailing over the top. Its not bad actually. Is it Kate Bush on an acid trip?

Add N to (X) - Revenge of the Black Regent
It's basically just a bunch of London types dicking about with synths and things, but they're kind of fun in an art-wank way.

9. Speed punk brother to track 1. Shorter and groovier!

Guitar Wolf - Kawasaki ZII 750 Rock n' Roll
Funny you should say it's a brother to track 1: it's Japan's other premier '90s garage punk revivalists.

10. Jazz funk instrumental. Nice sax break but at nearly six and half minutes long my interest waned way before it finished.

24 Carat Black - Foodstamps
Yeah, it does go on a bit I suppose. Chief claim to fame is that Digable Planets sampled it on 'Rebirth of Slick', unless of course you don't like them in which case forget I just said that.

11. Lovely Southern Gothic Americana. The Builders and the Butchers I think.

The Builders and The Butchers - Short Way Home
Yep.

12. Almost power pop, reminds me of Power Of Dreams a bit. Very propulsive drumming, doesn't outstay its welcome.

bob hund - 100 År
Is sounding like Power of Dreams a good thing? This is from the hund's self-titled album. One of them, anyway. It's from their first full-length self-titled album.

13. Bit like Deadbolt in the way the riff is the thing. Its primitive. Fairly dull to be honest.

High Rise - Sanctuary
This is another Japanese band. I think I downloaded it about ten minutes before putting the mix together so you're not really hurting me by disliking it.

14. Great horn driven tune with some wild drumming and nice understated organ pinning it down. Something I could see myself grooving on the dancefloor to, maybe in some seedy dive in Soho with Moddie after a London JU. A winner.

Conjunto Don Pelegrin - Beat Gitano
I have no idea who this lot are, but this comes from a compilation of Spanish soul and funk (no, really) called Sensacional Soul and is ace, which is reason enough to put it on a mix in my book.

15. Da Fonk. Very hypnotic track. Interesting almost out of tune piano riff.

Orchestre Poly-Rhythmou de Cotonou - Houe Djein Nada
Benin's most famous exports.

16. Like a mash up between Hawkwind and the Mary Chain. Not as bad as that sounds. Wibbly synth madness with insistent background bass riff and some nice power chord thrashing.

darXtar - Travel Fast Nowhere
One of those you-only-need-one-track bands (very much like Hawkwind, then), among Sweden's premier '90s space rock revivalists.

17. Cowbell driven ambient noodling. Sounds like a modern Tubular Bells. The horror, the horror...

Pantha du Prince - Es Schneit
Well I like it.

18. It Is No Secret What God Can Do. I'm familiar with Elvis' version but this is frankly better. Stripped down, simple, perfect.

Leon Pinson - What God Can Do
This is from a compilation of gospel oddities and rarities called Fire in My Bones, which came out last year and is a reliable supplier of mix club ammo.

So, almost all hits. Tracks 5, 13 and 17 I can do without. Tracks 2, 9, 14 and 18 are the standouts. Thanks mix dude.

No worries. Cough if you want and so on and so forth.

Tracklist:

Teengenerate - Dressed in Black
King Sunny Adé and His African Beats - Ja Fun Mi
The Chambers Brothers - All Strung Out Over You
Anna Järvinen - Tänka Inte Säga Mer
Ferenc - Vinagreta
Robert Johnson and the Punchdrunks - Rocket True Temper 20 Oz
Opotopo - Belema
Add N to (X) - Revenge of the Black Regent
Guitar Wolf - Kawasaki ZII 750 Rock n' Roll
24 Carat Black - Foodstamps
The Builders and the Butchers - Short Way Home
bob hund - 100 År
High Rise - Sanctuary
Conjunto Don Pelegrin - Beat Gitano
Orchestre Poly-Rhythmou de Cotonou - Houe Djein Nada
darXtar - Travel Fast Nowhere
Pantha du Prince - Es Schneit
Leon Pinson - What God Can Do
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 12 Jul 2010, 23:51

Sorry about the delay here. My disc, 'Apathy For The Masked Man' featured a cover image of Nick Kent, and contained the type of music that the NME journo was no doubt fond of listening to in the 70s, as he stood at the bar ordering several pints of the dark stuff...

1) Couldn't get on with this at all; it's a rather unfocused piece that was just too blurry for my liking. Not a good start.

2) Clearly the voice of Captain Beefheart - that rasping yelp is unmistakable, and he's going on about a tropical hot dog night. He's in good voice, but the backing is rather too pedestrian and well-mannered. I prefer his more unhinged side, and I don't think he ever bettered Trout Mask Replica.

3) Again, this isn't really my kind of thing. There's an attempt to build tension with subdued vocals against a tightly wound backing track, but this doesn't really go anywhere. The scratchy guitar figure was interesting, but it needed a stronger song to wrap itself around it.

4) Much more like it! It's David Bowie with 'Joe The Lion' (just how hot was this guy in '77, with Low, Heroes and the two Iggy albums?). This is another densely constructed piece, but it actually has engaging twists and turns. Sinister and satisfying.

5) Something in a very similar vein - Roxy Music's 'Mother Of Pearl'. Initially, it's dense art-rock with discordant noodly guitar, but it settles down so that Ferry can take centre-stage with his lounge lizard vocal stylings. I must admit that when it comes to Roxy, my favourite moments are the two triumphant Eno albums and the elegant ennui of Avalon. Maybe I should spend more time with their 'middle' albums.

6) 'This is James Brown', apparently (well, that lyric took all the fun out of guessing the artist)...anyway, it's a curious anti-drugs piece, spoken softly over a gentle jazzy backdrop. Given his own documented fondness for pharmaceutical pleasure, this is frankly not a convincing stance. Context aside, it's a quietly powerful and poetic piece which I rather enjoyed.

7) Oh, I love this song - it's 'I Can't Stand The Rain', and I think this is the Ann Peebles version. Hugely satisfying deep soul with a beautifully weighted arrangement. Nothing's overstated here, and the subtlety adds to the power.

8) Nick Drake - 'At The Chime Of A City Clock'. I remember buying a Nick Drake compilation album in the mid 80s, just as he was finally becoming fashionable, and this song I thought was a real highlight. It captures a very autumnal mood of resignation in a very English way. The song for me is about finding a moment of calm in a frantic city, and I love it unreservedly.

9) Sparse, echoey jazz instrumental. I don't have much of a frame of reference for this kind of music, but the tinkling piano at the beginning was very refreshing. However, the frenetic slap bass that took over halfway through was less appetising. One day, I reckon I'm going to get into jazz, but I don't think I'm ready yet.

10) This is interesting - dead slow, deliberate songcraft that sounds like a less caustic Peter Hammill. Doesn't overstay its welcome either - I'm intrigued!

11) The Pretenders - Kid. Possibly my favourite Chrissie Hynde song; I love the wavering vocals and overall summery mood. This was released in 79, the year when I started taking music seriously, and I don't think daytime radio was ever better than it was back then. This was precisely the sort of song that I was hearing on heavy rotation - happy days!

12) Ian Dury - I'm Partial To Your Abracadabra. The acceptable face of pub rock, if only because of Dury's advanced wordplay and some funky hit singles. I don't think this is his finest moment however, as his voice gets a bit lost in the mix and the band come up with rather average boogie rock.

13) Talking Heads - The Book I Read. Splendid, of course; musically they were way ahead of the game, here creating a kind of proto-indie rock that features African-influenced guitar breaks and a rolling funk-sourced backbeat. A lot of 80s bands were trying to catch up with the 'Heads; in fact, that's still happening today.

14) This sounds like Neil Young (actually I think I have this song somewhere). I find him maddeningly inconsistent, and often very hard-going. Here his voice is just too wayward and the rough-and-ready arrangement is just messy. Worst of all is a wheezy harmonica fill that's plain unpleasant. I dunno - sometimes he could make this kind of thing work, but this isn't one of those times. Some strong lyrical imagery isn't enough on this song, I'm afraid. Particularly as it really goes on and on.

15) I think this is Warren Zevon, who for me is one of those rare artists who got better the longer his career went on (for me, his essential releases are Sentimental Hygiene and This'll Kill Ya). This has a pedestrian, airless piano-based backdrop: like a lot of this 70s material, it veers too close to AOR. (Forgive me if I'm barking up the wrong tree and it's actually someone else...)

16) This also errs on the side of AOR blandness, with its central piano figure and tasteful guitar licks. A pity, as the voice here is quite striking, and there's clearly a decent song somewhere in the mix. The arrangement needs stripping down greatly.

17) I did like this however. A resonant, and fairly deep, female voice (which reminded me of Lauro Nyro, though I don't think it's her) singing a haunting, ethereal song. It's the kind of thing that would get covered on a This Mortal Coil LP. Very tasty indeed!

Something of a mixed bag, but that's to be expected, as I have a complex relationship with pre-punk 70s music. Ultimately, I was more a Paul Morley man than a follower of Nick Kent. Bits of this mix didn't work, but I enjoyed it overall, even if many of my favourite songs were tracks I already knew. That said, I really want to know what 10 and 17 were.

Again, apologies to my mixer (who I suspect is John K), but thanks for a marathon mix which I enjoyed reviewing tonight.

John_K
driven by lists

Postby John_K » 13 Jul 2010, 00:31

Guess who's been reading Kent's recent offering, reveal to follow in the morning...

beenieman

Postby beenieman » 13 Jul 2010, 09:00

whodathunkit wrote:A mix from Beenie enigmatically titled "Country Music" :lol: . No BCB-approved earnest po-faced Americana or frazzled hillbilly punk. Straight down the line stuff with manly vocals, gooey backing singers and some sweet countrypolitan strings . I had the odd gag-reflex moment but on the whole it went down as sweet as a nut.

OK. I’ll take that as an overall thumbs up.

whodathunkit wrote:1. Sentimental but rather touching intro from some old-timer's live show.
Don Williams - Dialogue from a live album. Just a nice little intro to kick off.
whodathunkit wrote:2. Simple acoustic ballad. The tune puts me in mind of "Mr Bojangles". Like this v.much.

David Wiffen - Climb The Stairs. An obscure Canadian singer. Hagman introduced me to his two albums both unreleased on CD but available as needle drops if you want.

whodathunkit wrote:3. Conway Twitty. Probably called "The Story Of My Love". Doesn't really matter. It's still "It's Only Make Believe" like all his records.

It is Conway. A favourite of mine. He’s pretty consistently good.

whodathunkit wrote:4. Nice version of "Lonesome Town". It's not Rick Nelson but still perfectly acceptable.

Actually it is Rick. I did toy with putting on another version but stuck with the classic.

whodathunkit wrote:5. "Almost Persuaded". I enjoyed this but unfortunately it made me dig out the Etta James version which is a class above. She sounds like a woman haunted by the possibility of infidelity, he just sounds like a bloke who wants his wife to give him a medal for keeping his pants on.

Crispian St. Peters who passed on this month (I heard the bad news after putting this mix together). He’s had a number of good songs outside of his hits. I can’t recall Etta’s version off the top of my head but I prefer schmaltz on this stuff to haunting. That’d be another mix.

whodathunkit wrote:6. Prime example of 60s Nashville countrypolitan - "It Keeps Right On A-Hurtin". Johnny Tillotson, right? Nice. Just the right side of schmaltz.

It is Johnny. Another fella with more good stuff than is appreciated. He had 25 Top 40 hits. This made #5.
whodathunkit wrote:7. Time for a duet. "My Elusive Dreams". I'm guessing Bobbie Gentry and Glenn Campbell. One of those songs it's impossible to do a bad version of. This proves the point.

It’s Bobby & Glen. There have been a few versions but this is my favourite of those I know. I’ve always felt there’s a verse missing in the song. The baby’s death is quite sudden. David Houston & Tammy Wynette had the #1 country hit with this one.

whodathunkit wrote:8. Now we cross over to the wrong side of schmaltz. Jim Reeves is involved. Not for me.

Jim Reeves & Deborah Allen - Oh How I Miss You Tonight. Wash your mouth. The great Jim Reeves should not be so dismissed. This made the Country Top 10 in 1980, 16 years after his death

whodathunkit wrote:9. A pleasant enough version of "Crying Time" from a girl who just about holds the tune. As with track 5 however, once a great soul artist like Ray Charles has wrapped his tonsils around it, there's no going back to the country.

Jo Ann Houston. Don’t know if she’s related to David, who was a descendant of Sam. Agreed Ray owns the track but this is the version that I felt fit here.

whodathunkit wrote:10. "Someday you'll be lonely, in the mansion you stole". This has got the works - syrupy strings, oooh-ooh-ahing girlie chorus, sob-in-the-throat vocalist. Probably an original but could just as easily be a Brit cover by the likes of Billy Fury or Eden Kane.

Johnny Horton - The Mansion You Stole. A Johnny Horton composition. I love this stuff. Give me traditional country over nu-country any day. What lyrics. The Eagles Lyin’ Eyes is in the same vein. Money can’t buy a woman happiness.

whodathunkit wrote:11. A cracking version of "Long Black Veil" shared out between 3 or 4 singers. I would be fascinated to know whether this was before of after the Band did it on Big Pink. Very similar vocals and phrasing.

John Anderson & Merle Haggard Long Black Veil. Recorded well after The Band did it. And they recorded it 10 years after Lefty Frizzell. The ultimate cheating song. He lets himself be sentenced to death rather than reveal he’d been sleeping with his best friend’s wife. He barely mentions the friend but I bet his loyalty is as much to him as to the woman.

whodathunkit wrote:12. "Now I Lay Me Down To Cheat" - David Allen Coe. Bit of a wanker I always thought. Always sounds like a parody of a country singer rather than the real thing.

Agreed he’s a wanker. Parody though? Is there such a thing as a parody of a country singer anyway? He’s had a lot of good songs.

The lyrics certainly emphasise his wankerdom. He cheats on his loving wife but he just can’t help himself. The temptation of other woman is too great. With a friend of the wife. And he keeps on doing it. To be fair he waited till 19 years of marriage before cheating so he’s not all bad.

whodathunkit wrote:13. "I Still Miss Someone". Another one of those songs - see track 7. This is a particularly lovely version though.

Robert Earl Keen. Johnny Cash wrote this one. Keen’s an unusual guy. Outlaw country but seems an outsider even to what’s an outsider genre. He has done some great stuff and I’ll include one of his own compositions next time.

Here’s what allmusic says:

Among the large contingent of talented songwriters who emerged in Texas in the 1980s and 1990s, Robert Earl Keen struck an unusual balance between sensitive story-portraits ("Corpus Christi Bay") and raucous barroom fun ("That Buckin' Song"). These two song types in Keen's output were unified by a mordant sense of humor that strongly influenced the early practitioners of what would become known as alternative country music. Keen, the son of an oil executive father and an attorney mother, was a native of Houston. His parents enjoyed both folk and country music, and his own style would land, like that of his close contemporary Nanci Griffith, between those genres. Keen wrote poetry while he was in high school, but it wasn't until he went to journalism school at musically fertile Texas A&M that he learned to play the guitar

whodathunkit wrote:14. Probably called "Senorita". Possibly Don Williams or Dave Alvin. Rather mundane when you're actually listening to it but it sticks in your head afterwards. Weird.

It’s Don. He couldn’t intro without having a song on board. Like you I found this song stuck with me. It was going in and out of my head for a week or so after I put this together. I could make my mixes all Don. I don’t think he’s cut a bad song.

whodathunkit wrote:15. This sort of comes and goes to no real effect. Waltzy ballad thing with rather limp playing.

Dexy’s Midnight Runners - Marguerita Time. My original idea, and the reason this disc was late in getting released (mailed to you) was that my original concept was to do a country disc full of what aren’t really seen as country acts. I put it together but it really didn’t work so I remade it with only a few songs from the first mix surviving. I’m more disposed to this song than you are.

whodathunkit wrote:16. Nice breezy shit-kicking closer. Vocals sound a bit like John Fogerty.

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Lookin’ For A Reason. A nice closer and more purecountry than their usual.

whodathunkit wrote:Well, considering how much I enjoyed this mix, I seem to have done plenty of moaning about it. One of those that are more than the sum it's parts. It's biggest crime was the lack of George Jones. Other than that it is definitely one I will play again

I’m glad it worked all up. This stuff can be done without George, though admittedly that makes it a bit harder.

whodathunkit wrote:Bonus Disc? I'll get around to it :D .

Looking forward to it.

Apologies for the delay in revealing by the way. Got a new computer and a lot of stress in getting it going.

Here’s the tracklist.

1. Don Williams Dialogue 0.28
2. David Wiffen Climb The Stairs 4.11
3. Conway Twitty The Story Of My Love 2.17
4. Ricky Nelson Lonesome Town 2.17
5. Crispian St. Peters Almost Persuaded 3.04
6. Johnny Tillotson It Keeps Right On A Hurtin’ 2.54
7. Bobby Gentry & Glen Campbell My Elusive Dreams 3.13
8. Jim Reeves & Deborah Allen Oh How I Miss You Tonight 2.09
9. Jo Ann Houston Crying Time 3.09
10. Johnny Horton The Mansion You Stole 3.08
11. John Anderson & Merle Haggard Long Black Veil 3.18
12. David Allen Coe Now I Lay Me Down To Cheat 3.24
13. Robert Earl Keen I Still Miss Someone 3.19
14. Don Williams Senorita 4.15
15. Dexy’s Midnight Runners Marguerita Time 4.51
16. Creedence Clearwater Revival Lookin’ For A Reason 3.28
One night, an evil spirit held me down
I could not make one single sound
Jah told me, 'Son, use the word'
And now I'm as free as a bird

John_K
driven by lists

Postby John_K » 13 Jul 2010, 12:33

Oscar47 wrote:
John_K wrote:Thanks to my mixer for this month's mix, thankfully the World Cup is only every 4 years, being at home all the time made it even more of a distraction...

I couldn’t believe it when I got you again. Is it 3 or 4 times? It sent me into a bit of a panic because I’m struggling to find new material and you’ve had most of my back-catalogue so I couldn't re-cycle. Still, I don’t seem to have done too bad. :)

At least, a quick count from the box here and I reckon there's 17 of your discs in it, considering that, you did a nice job once again :D

Never really noticed the Mike Scott resemblance before but, yes you're right - sort of. I got the album that this is from when it first came out at the beginning of the 90's but I haven't listened to it for over 10 years so I thought I would share the reunion with you.

There's a little Green on Red in my iTunes, time to give it a proper listen I reckon.

New group, very Doorsy. I was alerted to these by a track on the May Mix I received in... erm... May.

And yes! Both Wooden Shjips albums reside within iTunes, knew I'd heard it somewhere... :oops:

03 Nice piece of US(?) indie guitar? Carries along at a nice old pace, enjoyable
Brighton. All-girl group.

Brighton's in America, right ;-)

It was probably/possibly me that sent it to you last time.

More than likely...

The second best track by The Go-Betweens

That's a bit like answering the who's your favourite child question...

One of the very few punk(ish) bands that I’m able to forgive.

They had that little something extra about them.

I’m not a big Floyd fan but I absolutely adore some of their stuff. This is taken from the soundtrack album “More” which I’m quite fond of.

Makes sense why I like it now...

Well done. I like that soprano sax but Windwood’s voice is quite something on this. I think structurally the song is a bit flimsy though.

Penny drops! Not sure this was there in the Traffic I was listening to, if not I need to investigate even further.

Ollie Halsalsl’s guitar work on this is absolutely sublime. I love the lyrics too. A rambling story not too unlike some of Rod Stewarts compositions. In fact Mike Patto’s voice is a bit Rod too.

Don't think I ever heard those guys before, nice...

It’s absolutely blistering.

Indeed...

I think this must probably be my favourite Gallagher.

:oops: Should have picked up Rory :oops:

Haven’t used a Gene Clark Track for a while. There’s certainly no shortage of gems to choose from.

I clearly need to give him some more time, only have the one CD on the racks.

I was more attracted to the novelty of it being an interesting cover of the wonderful original by Joe Jackson. Lowell George’s daughter, apparently.

I was so attracted to the voice I wasn't zoning in on the fact it was a Joe Jackson track :oops: Interesting that she's Lowell's daughter, isn't she also part of one of those boy/girl duos?

You’re welcome!

My knowledge of classical is poor, but you've always managed to introduce a couple of nice pieces...

What's this one from eh?

John_K
driven by lists

Postby John_K » 13 Jul 2010, 12:51

the masked man wrote:Sorry about the delay here. My disc, 'Apathy For The Masked Man' featured a cover image of Nick Kent, and contained the type of music that the NME journo was no doubt fond of listening to in the 70s, as he stood at the bar ordering several pints of the dark stuff...

As I mentioned last night I've recently read Kent's Apathy for the Devil and was starting to build his 'Soundtrack for the Seventies' in iTunes when I decided to use a sampler selection to form this months mix disc.

1) Couldn't get on with this at all; it's a rather unfocused piece that was just too blurry for my liking. Not a good start.

Dark Star [Single Version] - Grateful Dead

2) Clearly the voice of Captain Beefheart - that rasping yelp is unmistakable, and he's going on about a tropical hot dog night. He's in good voice, but the backing is rather too pedestrian and well-mannered. I prefer his more unhinged side, and I don't think he ever bettered Trout Mask Replica.

Tropical Hotdog Night - Captain Beefheart
I don't get on all that well with TMR, preferring Safe as Milk - when Kent included this in his soundtrack I thought it was something a little different from the Captain.

3) Again, this isn't really my kind of thing. There's an attempt to build tension with subdued vocals against a tightly wound backing track, but this doesn't really go anywhere. The scratchy guitar figure was interesting, but it needed a stronger song to wrap itself around it.

Moonshake - Can

4) Much more like it! It's David Bowie with 'Joe The Lion' (just how hot was this guy in '77, with Low, Heroes and the two Iggy albums?). This is another densely constructed piece, but it actually has engaging twists and turns. Sinister and satisfying.

Joe The Lion - David Bowie

5) Something in a very similar vein - Roxy Music's 'Mother Of Pearl'. Initially, it's dense art-rock with discordant noodly guitar, but it settles down so that Ferry can take centre-stage with his lounge lizard vocal stylings. I must admit that when it comes to Roxy, my favourite moments are the two triumphant Eno albums and the elegant ennui of Avalon. Maybe I should spend more time with their 'middle' albums.

Mother Of Pearl - Roxy Music

6) 'This is James Brown', apparently (well, that lyric took all the fun out of guessing the artist)...anyway, it's a curious anti-drugs piece, spoken softly over a gentle jazzy backdrop. Given his own documented fondness for pharmaceutical pleasure, this is frankly not a convincing stance. Context aside, it's a quietly powerful and poetic piece which I rather enjoyed.

King Heroin - James Brown
Appropriate choice given the lifestyle he led...

7) Oh, I love this song - it's 'I Can't Stand The Rain', and I think this is the Ann Peebles version. Hugely satisfying deep soul with a beautifully weighted arrangement. Nothing's overstated here, and the subtlety adds to the power.

I Can't Stand The Rain - Ann Peebles

8) Nick Drake - 'At The Chime Of A City Clock'. I remember buying a Nick Drake compilation album in the mid 80s, just as he was finally becoming fashionable, and this song I thought was a real highlight. It captures a very autumnal mood of resignation in a very English way. The song for me is about finding a moment of calm in a frantic city, and I love it unreservedly.

At The Chime Of A City Clock - Nick Drake

9) Sparse, echoey jazz instrumental. I don't have much of a frame of reference for this kind of music, but the tinkling piano at the beginning was very refreshing. However, the frenetic slap bass that took over halfway through was less appetising. One day, I reckon I'm going to get into jazz, but I don't think I'm ready yet.

Glistening Glyndebourne - John Martyn

10) This is interesting - dead slow, deliberate songcraft that sounds like a less caustic Peter Hammill. Doesn't overstay its welcome either - I'm intrigued!

Golden Hair - Syd Barrett

11) The Pretenders - Kid. Possibly my favourite Chrissie Hynde song; I love the wavering vocals and overall summery mood. This was released in 79, the year when I started taking music seriously, and I don't think daytime radio was ever better than it was back then. This was precisely the sort of song that I was hearing on heavy rotation - happy days!

Kid - The Pretenders

12) Ian Dury - I'm Partial To Your Abracadabra. The acceptable face of pub rock, if only because of Dury's advanced wordplay and some funky hit singles. I don't think this is his finest moment however, as his voice gets a bit lost in the mix and the band come up with rather average boogie rock.

I'm Partial To Your Abracadabra - Ian Dury

13) Talking Heads - The Book I Read. Splendid, of course; musically they were way ahead of the game, here creating a kind of proto-indie rock that features African-influenced guitar breaks and a rolling funk-sourced backbeat. A lot of 80s bands were trying to catch up with the 'Heads; in fact, that's still happening today.

The Book I Read - Talking Heads

14) This sounds like Neil Young (actually I think I have this song somewhere). I find him maddeningly inconsistent, and often very hard-going. Here his voice is just too wayward and the rough-and-ready arrangement is just messy. Worst of all is a wheezy harmonica fill that's plain unpleasant. I dunno - sometimes he could make this kind of thing work, but this isn't one of those times. Some strong lyrical imagery isn't enough on this song, I'm afraid. Particularly as it really goes on and on.

Ambulance Blues - Neil Young
From On the Beach one of my favourite Neil Young albums...

15) I think this is Warren Zevon, who for me is one of those rare artists who got better the longer his career went on (for me, his essential releases are Sentimental Hygiene and This'll Kill Ya). This has a pedestrian, airless piano-based backdrop: like a lot of this 70s material, it veers too close to AOR. (Forgive me if I'm barking up the wrong tree and it's actually someone else...)

Accidentally Like a Martyr - Warren Zevon

16) This also errs on the side of AOR blandness, with its central piano figure and tasteful guitar licks. A pity, as the voice here is quite striking, and there's clearly a decent song somewhere in the mix. The arrangement needs stripping down greatly.

Baltimore - Randy Newman

17) I did like this however. A resonant, and fairly deep, female voice (which reminded me of Lauro Nyro, though I don't think it's her) singing a haunting, ethereal song. It's the kind of thing that would get covered on a This Mortal Coil LP. Very tasty indeed!

The Kiss - Judee Sill
I've lost track of how many times I've slipped this one into a mix, I love it and think everybody should here it!

Something of a mixed bag, but that's to be expected, as I have a complex relationship with pre-punk 70s music. Ultimately, I was more a Paul Morley man than a follower of Nick Kent. Bits of this mix didn't work, but I enjoyed it overall, even if many of my favourite songs were tracks I already knew. That said, I really want to know what 10 and 17 were.

Again, apologies to my mixer (who I suspect is John K), but thanks for a marathon mix which I enjoyed reviewing tonight.

Glad you found some things to enjoy within the mix, if there's anything you want to investigate further feel free to *cough*

Tracklisting:

Dark Star [Single Version] - Grateful Dead
Tropical Hotdog Night - Captain Beefheart
Moonshake - Can
Joe The Lion - David Bowie
Mother Of Pearl - Roxy Music
King Heroin - James Brown
I Can't Stand The Rain - Ann Peebles
At The Chime Of A City Clock - Nick Drake
Glistening Glyndebourne - John Martyn
Golden Hair - Syd Barrett
Kid - The Pretenders
I'm Partial To Your Abracadabra - Ian Dury
The Book I Read - Talking Heads
Ambulance Blues - Neil Young
Accidentally Like a Martyr - Warren Zevon
Baltimore - Randy Newman
The Kiss - Judee Sill

whodathunkit

Postby whodathunkit » 13 Jul 2010, 22:28

beenieman wrote: The great Jim Reeves should not be so dismissed.

a mix club step too far.

the fish should put a stop to this sort of thing.

1. Don Williams Dialogue 0.28
2. David Wiffen Climb The Stairs 4.11
3. Conway Twitty The Story Of My Love 2.17
4. Ricky Nelson Lonesome Town 2.17
5. Crispian St. Peters Almost Persuaded 3.04
6. Johnny Tillotson It Keeps Right On A Hurtin’ 2.54
7. Bobby Gentry & Glen Campbell My Elusive Dreams 3.13
8. Jim Reeves & Deborah Allen Oh How I Miss You Tonight 2.09
9. Jo Ann Houston Crying Time 3.09
10. Johnny Horton The Mansion You Stole 3.08
11. John Anderson & Merle Haggard Long Black Veil 3.18
12. David Allen Coe Now I Lay Me Down To Cheat 3.24
13. Robert Earl Keen I Still Miss Someone 3.19
14. Don Williams Senorita 4.15
15. Dexy’s Midnight Runners Marguerita Time 4.51
16. Creedence Clearwater Revival Lookin’ For A Reason 3.28

Cheers Peter. I have a few things by Keen but will be investigating further. Will see you in the Bonus Disc thread....er....eventually.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 14 Jul 2010, 12:57

whodathunkit wrote:
beenieman wrote: The great Jim Reeves should not be so dismissed.

a mix club step too far.

the fish should put a stop to this sort of thing.

Unfortunately though, The Fish would have to concur with the sentiments of our Antipodean colleague on this one.
We're way past rhubarb

whodathunkit

Postby whodathunkit » 14 Jul 2010, 16:13

Fair enough. Broad church (with a chapel for the deaf attached)

Duncan

Postby Duncan » 03 Aug 2010, 00:22

T. Willy Rye wrote:My June disc is right up my alley. I think I might have felt the breath of my mixer on the back of my neck as I posted this month, he/she seems to know my tastes exactly.

So, um, yeah, after a gentle reminder, here is the criminally belated reveal. Mostly stuff from various funk, jazz, soul comps that caught my attention. Some of the acts are old favourites, others I know next to nothing about.

T. Willy Rye wrote:Track #1- Great opening track. I’ll say west African, love the combination of congas and horns. Wonderful!

A bit of Nigerian high-life/proto Afrobeat to kick off, this is Stephen Osifa Amae Chi & His Afro-Rhythm Skies. The track is called Afro Baby from 1970

T. Willy Rye wrote:Track #2- Funky bass line, then all the other ingredients for one stone cold jam come in- the guitar with a nice wah pedal effect and then some groovy piano. This is the shit. Some obscure regional funk; could be Tulsa, could be Oakland, but definitely solid. Actually, while listening to King Funk comp. today I found out this is Live It Up by James K-Nine. Give me a couple of weeks and I might be able to do my own reveal. Are you out there? Is Sgt. Pepper on vacation? :?

Ha. Um, he was, briefly, but he's also rubbish. Anyway, good work. The King Funk comp was were I dug this up from. I love the piano.

T. Willy Rye wrote:Track #3 Superb soul, don’t know who- probably should, but love it just the same. Great plaintive vocals-love the highs he’s able to hit.

This is a smooth, groovy gem from the crackin' Soul Jazz comp The Sound Of Philadelphia (Philly Roots Vol 2)which is full of early Philly Soul and proto disco. It's Howard Tate with Glad I Knew Better

T. Willy Rye wrote:Track #4- This must be some southern fried funk, probably New Orleans. All the makings for a soul food feast. Your love is so good? Another excellent track!

Tennessee, I think. This is a chap called Lee Webber and the track, from '73, is Your Love's So Good. I love the wah-wah and his weird harmonica sound-effects.

T. Willy Rye wrote:Track #5- Wow! What an amazing vocal performance. I don’t know why or how I don’t know this, but thank you for introducing me. When he pleads that he’s lonely, I fear for his future.

Nelson Sanders - I'm Lonely. This is from a Goldmine comp called The Deepest Soul. Goldmine make some great compilations but their liner notes tend to be perfunctory at best so I can't tell you anything more about this guy.

T. Willy Rye wrote:Track #6- When I’m Gone by Brenda Holloway. Another gem!

Aye. Class.

T. Willy Rye wrote:Track #7- Another nice piece of Rand B that I don’t know. The chorus-Too late, your love is gone. Seems like this band could have paved the way for bands like the Spinners. Like it a lot.

Time for something a bit smoother, this is Mandrill - It's Too Late, although it's rather untypical of their usual afro, latino, funk fare.

T. Willy Rye wrote:Track #8-Maybe a little later than the previous song- more emphasis on the groove. Like that busy guitar and I’m not usually one for the orchestrated strings, but I like them here probably because there are so many other nice touches, like the horns coming in strong.

This is too funky. Great arrangement. However, this is another enigmatic artist that I have no other information on. It's Eddie Mcloyd and the track is called (unsurprisingly) Baby Get Down

T. Willy Rye wrote:Track #9 is Sir Victor Uwalfo. Obodo Eyo (Ekassa 12). Love him.

Yep, the Guitar Boy Superstar comp on Soundway is quality front to back.

T. Willy Rye wrote:Track #10 Another ace track by a raspy voice female soul singer propelled by a great bass line. I like it when the horns come in. Can't Stand it or Can't Take No More? Great!

This is Brenda George from 1971 with I Can't Stand It. I can't recommend the Living In The Streets series enough.

T. Willy Rye wrote:Track # 11 Someone like Digable Planets or Us3, I think. Not sure who. I like the piano sample, looped throughout. Great trumpet solo!

This is from the venerable Blue Note label and it's Guru's remix of Gene Harris' Listen Here

T. Willy Rye wrote:Track 12 Seventh Son by Mose Allison. Nice

A mod-jazz favourite of mine

T. Willy Rye wrote:Track 13 is some groovy psychedelic Brazilian song. Certainly an area that I would like to know more about.

Then you should certainly seek out a comp called Brazilian Guitar Fuzz Bananas which is full of mad psychedelic-soul nuggets like this, Ely - As Turbinas Estao Ligadas

T. Willy Rye wrote:Thanks again Sgt. Pepper- really enjoyed it.

No worries, apologies again for the tardy reveal. To make up for it, if you fancy any further listening then just give me a shout.
Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb...

Return to “Mix Club”