Mix Club November - reviews

Exchange mix CDs with each other.
bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Re: Mix Club November - reviews

Postby bhoywonder » 01 Dec 2009, 14:51

Rocky Bronzino wrote:
bhoywonder wrote:
Rocky Bronzino wrote:I had no clue it was them, I was convinced it was a TVZ cover, I really was. I'll be getting more stuff from S+G pretty soon I think.

I go on about them a bit much, but I absolutely love them and can't praise their first 4 albums enough. Especially Bookends. You can get the boxset of all their albums, plus the Concert in Central Park DVD, for £13 on hmv.com. Probably cheaper elsewhere – Fopp used to stock it for £8! You won't regret it.

Thanks. I'm sure I can afford to treat myself when I'm doing my Christmas shopping.

I'd say feel free to cough, but at that price it hardly seems worth it. But do if you'd like to. I have a load of boots an all that too, should you become hooked.

Lemon Yoghourt

Postby Lemon Yoghourt » 01 Dec 2009, 15:04

bhoywonder wrote:
Rocky Bronzino wrote:
bhoywonder wrote:I go on about them a bit much, but I absolutely love them and can't praise their first 4 albums enough. Especially Bookends. You can get the boxset of all their albums, plus the Concert in Central Park DVD, for £13 on hmv.com. Probably cheaper elsewhere – Fopp used to stock it for £8! You won't regret it.

Thanks. I'm sure I can afford to treat myself when I'm doing my Christmas shopping.

I'd say feel free to cough, but at that price it hardly seems worth it. But do if you'd like to. I have a load of boots an all that too, should you become hooked.

Thanks very much for the offer, Paul, but like you say the boxset is a bargain at £13. I'll definitely pick that up. I'll be sure to give you a shout should I become a bit obsessed with them.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 02 Dec 2009, 04:45

martha wrote:No one ever seems to mention them much on here that I've seen, but I love them.

They've gotten their share. There was a pretty good Macca vs. Paul Simon thread a couple years ago.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 02 Dec 2009, 11:08

Cosmic American Girl wrote:I'm glad you enjoyed this mix. I originally started along a different path and I wasn't comfortable with it and didn't really think you would enjoy it so I turned it completely around and wound up with one I thought you would like. I'm glad you weren't familiar with the tracks and they were fresh and new to you yet felt at home with them.

1 10-5-60-The Long Ryders (10-5-60)
2 Moonhead-Thin White Rope (Moonhead)
3 Tell Me-The Bangles (All Over The Place)
4 Streets of London-The Green Pajamas (Indian Winter)
5 Blue Line-Let's Active (Cypress)
6 That's What Dreams Are For-Green on Red (Gas Food Lodging)
7 Dead Center-Game Theory (Distortion of Glory)
8 I Go Wild-The Three O'Clock (Sixteen Tambourines/Baroque Hoedown)
9 Hollywood Holiday-True West (Hollywood Holiday Revisited)
10 Shadow-Line (To J. Conrad)-The Fleshtones (Living Legends Series)
11 My Only Friend-Opal (Early Recordings)
12 I Look Around-Rain Parade (Emergency Third Rail Power Trip)
13 Days Of Wine And Roses-The Dream Syndicate (Days Of Wine And Roses)

It's a great mix CAG. I have songs from nearly all bands but not the particular tracks. I can;t believe I didn't recognise Green On Red, Here Come The Snakes is one of all-time faves, but these days their albums sell at ridculous prices. Also need to note that the Dream Syndicate album's been one that my best mate been bugging to listen for years and honestly never gave it much chance. Seems I have to rethink about it.
Thanks again
I run out of talent

Tapiocahead

Postby Tapiocahead » 02 Dec 2009, 22:00

Sorry about the delay in reviewing, not helped by me being keen to save envelopes and reusing the one this came in to send my cd out but then forgetting to take this cd out.

I did enjoy this a lot, the latter part takes a turn for the ambient which I don't really follow normally but I enjoyed more than my comments would indicate. I'm going to add this itunes and cannablise a number of the tracks for my own purposes.

Thank you mr/mrs compiler for your efforts and also to Moleskin and Fish for your efforts in getting it back to me.

1 - Absolutely stunning gospel track, beautiful voice and really meaty,satisfying organ.
2- More of a philly soul with this one, the backing male vocals and lead female work together marvellously. Very smooth
3 - Funky Nassau, slighty different version to the one I'm used, with added funky guitar
4 - I recognise this, is it from that Cherrystones comp? Really great instrumental with distorted guitar duelling with organ and laid back bass line.
5 - This Purple People Eater, couldn't remember who by but a quick google reveals Sheb Wooley
6 - There's going to be a fight. Vaguely ominous sounding psyche track.
7 - This is a good track, I love the mental sax all over it which reminds of Low Rider by War.
8 - Pleasingly shambolic rock track, reminds me of The Replacements or something like that, more sax.
9 - Slighty anonymous shouty punky track.
10 - See above, both these tracks are OK but I couldn't see me spending much time with them. It goes on a bit as well.
11- I like this one more, seems to be a bit more about. Some nice synth noises going on, no idea what language. Swedish, sounds a bit like the Hives singer
12 - Post punk - heavy bass, scratchy guitar. The hypnotic bass line steals this one.
13 - I wouldn't even know what genre to describe this as. Is it Tangerine Dream or something?
14 - Wired electronic instrumental that had finished before I could figure out what to write about it
15 - Another atmospheric instrumental, never really sure what I think about it. Sounds nice right now, sat here in the evening letting it wash over me.
16 - Probably not a good sign that with this track my mind wandered and I forgot to write anything.
17- Sounds a bit like Beth Orton but could be a feller.Yeah I like this one a lot.
18- Very distorted folky vocals over hypnotic acoustic guitar
19 - I'm using the word hypnotic a lot because I don't really know how else to describe a lot of the more etheral tracks towards the end. This sounds like it could be the soundtrack to a James Carpenter film
20 - Even fucking sparser, this must be the soundtrack to some Scandanavian arthouse film with people stood around on beachs looking fucked off.
21 - I've thought of another word- ambient! typing and talking with a wooeyywoooo noice in the background, does go somewhere, I like the rumbling bass in this one. The crow at the end has grabbed the cat's interest.
Fishstick selling fuck

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 02 Dec 2009, 22:57

Tapiocahead wrote:the latter part takes a turn for the ambient which I don't really follow normally but I enjoyed more than my comments would indicate.

That's a relief, I wouldn't have known what to make of them otherwise :lol:

1 - Absolutely stunning gospel track, beautiful voice and really meaty,satisfying organ.

The Caravans - Walk Around Heaven All Day
This opens up the second of the wonderful Birth of Soul series on Kent and as you say it's magnificent stuff.

2- More of a philly soul with this one, the backing male vocals and lead female work together marvellously. Very smooth

Debbie Taylor - Never Gonna Let Him Know
Debbie Taylor is one of those people who seems to crop up occasionally on soul comps with belting tracks but never gets namechecked otherwise. A name to look out for anyway.

3 - Funky Nassau, slighty different version to the one I'm used, with added funky guitar

The Beginning of the End - Funky Nassau, Pt.2
Another one from a comp, specifically the second of the pretty ace Funk Drops series ramraiding the Atlantic vaults.

4 - I recognise this, is it from that Cherrystones comp? Really great instrumental with distorted guitar duelling with organ and laid back bass line.

The Bad Boys - Black Olives
Yes, it is. Didn't think many people knew that comp - it's pretty cool.

5 - This Purple People Eater, couldn't remember who by but a quick google reveals Sheb Wooley

Tony's Monstrosities - Igor's Party
At least that's what it says here and sounds like on my tracklist! Does he refer to the Purple People Eater or something? It's from the mildly amusing Ultimate Horror comp that did the rounds recently.

6 - There's going to be a fight. Vaguely ominous sounding psyche track.

Wimple Winch - Rumble on Mersey Square South
There's a pretty interesting story behind this band but I can't be arsed telling it. Suffice to say that they did 'Save My Soul' off Nuggets II and some other cool stuff as well.

7 - This is a good track, I love the mental sax all over it which reminds of Low Rider by War.

Laughing Clowns - Eternally Yours
Ed Kuepper of the Saints and minor Australian rock legend status with his '80s outfit's signature song.

8 - Pleasingly shambolic rock track, reminds me of The Replacements or something like that, more sax.

The Nomads - She Pays the Rent
The first of the Swedish entries, this lot basically made a living doing ace garage rock covers in the '80s. I think this was originally a Lyres song.

9 - Slighty anonymous shouty punky track.

C.Aarmé - Tu Puta Mi Casa
I put this on because I thought you liked vaguely anonymous shouty punk, but nothing ventured and all that. Also Swedish.

10 - See above, both these tracks are OK but I couldn't see me spending much time with them. It goes on a bit as well.

Japandroids - Young Hearts Spark Fire
Yeah, no one other than me seems to go for these so much. I quite like the drone-punk thing they do.

11- I like this one more, seems to be a bit more about. Some nice synth noises going on, no idea what language. Swedish, sounds a bit like the Hives singer

bob hund - Nu Är Det Väl Revolution På Gång
Obviously. This is fairly representative of them, insofar as it's possible for a sci-fi disco-punk song called 'Surely There's a Revolution Going On Now' to be representative of anything much.

12 - Post punk - heavy bass, scratchy guitar. The hypnotic bass line steals this one.

Wooden Shjips - For So Long
These seem to be a winning card on mix club. They only have about half a dozen tracks but they're all beasts.

13 - I wouldn't even know what genre to describe this as. Is it Tangerine Dream or something?

Plaid - Sincetta
I think you're meant to call it "IDM" or something stupid like that. It's on Warp, anyway. It might sound like Tangerine Dream if you took the drums away. And the melody line too, perhaps.

14 - Wired electronic instrumental that had finished before I could figure out what to write about it

The Focus Group - Jam Jar Carnival
I only put it on because I thought I might as well fill up the final minute of CD space anyway.

15 - Another atmospheric instrumental, never really sure what I think about it. Sounds nice right now, sat here in the evening letting it wash over me.

Clark - Frau Wav
If you do like this kind of thing you could do a lot worse than to check out Clark's Body Riddle, probably the best baroque techno record this side of anything, really.

16 - Probably not a good sign that with this track my mind wandered and I forgot to write anything.

Roedelius - Johanneslust
It's quite nice to drift off to, isn't it?

17- Sounds a bit like Beth Orton but could be a feller.Yeah I like this one a lot.

Great Lake Swimmers - Bodies and Minds
I think it's just one bloke though I'm not sure. His/their new one has got a lot of BCB love but it's a bit too standard Americana for me, I prefer the earlier, eerier albums such as the one this is the title track to.

18- Very distorted folky vocals over hypnotic acoustic guitar

Richard Youngs - Tinsel Matrix
Yes, that's what he does, dozens of albums of it. But it's all pretty much great.

19 - I'm using the word hypnotic a lot because I don't really know how else to describe a lot of the more etheral tracks towards the end. This sounds like it could be the soundtrack to a James Carpenter film

Deaf Center - Stone Beacon
Another current BCB fave, a good late-night band.

20 - Even fucking sparser, this must be the soundtrack to some Scandanavian arthouse film with people stood around on beachs looking fucked off.

Hauschka - Eltern
Hauschka is a Central European bloke who fiddles around with prepared piano and all that stuff, and comes up with nice, meditative little pieces like this one.

21 - I've thought of another word- ambient! typing and talking with a wooeyywoooo noice in the background, does go somewhere, I like the rumbling bass in this one. The crow at the end has grabbed the cat's interest.

Max Richter - Shadow Journal
Possibly the best mix club track review I've had, outside of neville harp's claiming that foreign-language Pere Ubu covers were a cliché. If you like this kind of contemporary classical pretentiousness, then Richter is a good starting point. I'm pretentious and I like him a lot.

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed it enough to want to send it on to someone else and spread the love. If there's any hypnotic ambient noodling or anonymous shouty punk you want to hear more of, feel free to drop me a line.

Tracklist:

The Caravans - Walk Around Heaven All Day
Debbie Taylor - Never Gonna Let Him Know
The Beginning of the End - Funky Nassau, Pt.2
The Bad Boys - Black Olives
Tony's Monstrosities - Igor's Party
Wimple Winch - Rumble on Mersey Square South
Laughing Clowns - Eternally Yours
The Nomads - She Pays the Rent
C.Aarmé - Tu Puta Mi Casa
Japandroids - Young Hearts Spark Fire
bob hund - Nu Är Det Väl Revolution På Gång
Wooden Shjips - For So Long
Plaid - Sincetta
The Focus Group - Jam Jar Carnival
Clark - Frau Wav
Roedelius - Johanneslust
Great Lake Swimmers - Bodies and Minds
Richard Youngs - Tinsel Matrix
Deaf Center - Stone Beacon
Hauschka - Eltern
Max Richter - Shadow Journal
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 03 Dec 2009, 10:25

An hour of psychedelia and psychedelic soul fr me this month, and most welcome it was too! To work:

1. Excellent opener. Very smooth, cool groove, fine vocals, somehow feels both an awful lot longer than 3 minutes and far too short at the same time. Really like this. Lots.
2. Running by the simply fabulous Baby Huey & the Babysitters. One of my favourite LPs and probably the album that did the most to hook me right in and send me head over heels for soul music. I love it.
3. Nice. The sort of record I imagine John Lennon really dug in the early 70s. He certainly tried to crib the backing when he played live. It’s the mighty Funkadelic of course, with one of the other tracks from Maggot Brain. Whenever I listen to Funkadelic I wonder why I don’t listen to Funkadelic more.
4. It’s the Tempts with Plastic Man. Essentially Don’t Let the Joneses Get You Down with different words, but that’s OK, isn’t it?
5. Ah yes, Eddie Floyd with Big Bird, written on hearing about Otis Redding’s death, wasn’t it? I saw him backed by Booker T & the MGs a few years back. A very special night! This is a stone cold classic.
6. Nice kitschy hippy piece. Very much of its time. Must have been lovely to be this uncynical!
7. More hippy kitsch. Very Austin Powers. It’s all rather silly but nice enough fun.
8. Somewhere between James Brown and Wilson Pickett. Nice congas!
9. More psychedelic grooviness. I would have loved this when I was 17. I’m rather partial now too.
10. This is the first I don’t like. A wee bit too twee for me, I’m afraid. And it reminds me of lots of bad records.
11. Psychedelia by numbers. Would be fine on the soundtrack to the Wonder Years but I’m not really keen on this sort of thing.
12. Back to the psychedelic soul with a slice of fine blaxploitation. It’s second division stuff, very derivative, but that’s OK. It’s hard to miss with this.
13. I’m sure in know this one but I can’t quite place it. Sittin on a cornflake, eh? Total destruction to your mind. Groovy stuff, cool guitars, nice drums. Very much in the Sly Stone mould.
14. Which brings us on to this next track from the man himself and his happy family. The opener from Fresh, which is never play as much as some of the others. Still a fine LP though, as this demonstrates. Very cool bass on here. Very cool indeed.
15. Heavier, too many synths, over-produced, ends up being dreaful prog, yet still has occasional moments of working, mainly on the refrain of ‘if it feels good it’s alright’. Difficult to listen to all the way through, to be honest, and the only clunker so far.
16. Having said which, this song gets right on my tits! Is it rotary connection? It’s certainly Minnie ripperton. It’s bloated hippy nonsense whatever it is!
17. Swampish instrumental to close. Odd mix going on here. Horns all over the shop swamping everything but the bass, guitars and percussion way down. Underneath it is a cool tune. Imagine this done by booker t & the mgs with the Memphis horns. That would be nice.

Overall, this is a top mix, I’ve already given it a good few outings and it’ll definitely get more. I’m looking forward to the reveal as I’m sure it’ll turn me on to a couple more things, which is always welcome! Many thanks mystery mixer!

king feeb
He's the consultant of swing

Postby king feeb » 03 Dec 2009, 20:46

bhoywonder wrote:An hour of psychedelia and psychedelic soul fr me this month, and most welcome it was too! To work:

Glad you liked most of it. I'm on an old soul/funk binge these days, so I figured you might dig a mix like this.
bhoywonder wrote:1. Excellent opener. Very smooth, cool groove, fine vocals, somehow feels both an awful lot longer than 3 minutes and far too short at the same time. Really like this. Lots.

1 The Undisputed Truth- Smiling Faces Sometimes
This is the outfit that Norman Whitfield worked with after leaving Motown. The Temptations did this song originally, but The Undisputed Truth took it to the charts, and I remember this song lighting up the radio when I was a kid.
bhoywonder wrote:2. Running by the simply fabulous Baby Huey & the Babysitters. One of my favourite LPs and probably the album that did the most to hook me right in and send me head over heels for soul music. I love it.

2 Baby Huey- Running
Right on. I love this guy's stuff and wish there was more of it.
bhoywonder wrote:3. Nice. The sort of record I imagine John Lennon really dug in the early 70s. He certainly tried to crib the backing when he played live. It’s the mighty Funkadelic of course, with one of the other tracks from Maggot Brain. Whenever I listen to Funkadelic I wonder why I don’t listen to Funkadelic more.

3 Funkadelic-You And Your Folks, Me And My Folks
From the ace Maggot Brain LP. I never put it together before, but you're right that the slap-echoed and reverbed percussion sounds like The Plastic Ono Band.
bhoywonder wrote:4. It’s the Tempts with Plastic Man. Essentially Don’t Let the Joneses Get You Down with different words, but that’s OK, isn’t it?

4 The Temptations- Plastic Man
Yup. This is from the Norman Whitfield-produced LP Masterpiece, one of the excellent "sleeper" tracks in the Temps catalog.
bhoywonder wrote:5. Ah yes, Eddie Floyd with Big Bird, written on hearing about Otis Redding’s death, wasn’t it? I saw him backed by Booker T & the MGs a few years back. A very special night! This is a stone cold classic.

5 Eddie Floyd-Big Bird
I'm officially jealous. I'm a recent convert to Mr. Floyd, but what a powerhouse vocalist!
bhoywonder wrote:6. Nice kitschy hippy piece. Very much of its time. Must have been lovely to be this uncynical!

6 Johnny "Guitar" Watson & Larry Williams- Nobody
Backed by the US psychedelic band Kaleidoscope, this one's a longtime favorite. Three Dog Night did a fairly faithful version that substituted organ for the sitars.
bhoywonder wrote:7. More hippy kitsch. Very Austin Powers. It’s all rather silly but nice enough fun.

7 Rotary Connection-Paper Castle
Love the Charles Stepney production on this... those shuddering strings that punctuate it are just brilliant. From the hippie-soul classic Aladdin.
bhoywonder wrote:8. Somewhere between James Brown and Wilson Pickett. Nice congas!

8 Cane & Able- Toe Hold
A collective of Afro-rock musicians living in Paris, they made only one album, but it's pretty damn solid.
bhoywonder wrote:9. More psychedelic grooviness. I would have loved this when I was 17. I’m rather partial now too.

9 The Grodeck Whipperjenny- Sitting Here On A Tongue
A one-off project by a bunch of James Brown backing musicians, led by JB music director David Matthews. The "executive producer" is listed as JB (which means that James probably merely signed off on the completed tracks), and he released the album on his short-lived People Records label. The album is kind of patchy, frankly, but it does have a few dynamite tracks.
bhoywonder wrote:10. This is the first I don’t like. A wee bit too twee for me, I’m afraid. And it reminds me of lots of bad records.

10 Shuggie Otis- Strawberry Letter 23
Sorry you didn't like this one.
bhoywonder wrote:11. Psychedelia by numbers. Would be fine on the soundtrack to the Wonder Years but I’m not really keen on this sort of thing.

11 The Ferris Wheel- I Can't Break The Habit
Fair enough.
bhoywonder wrote:12. Back to the psychedelic soul with a slice of fine blaxploitation. It’s second division stuff, very derivative, but that’s OK. It’s hard to miss with this.

12 Rasputin's Stash- Middle Man
Chicago funk group that made a couple of great albums, one of them for Curtis Mayfield's label, Curtom. Solid soul/funk.
bhoywonder wrote:13. I’m sure in know this one but I can’t quite place it. Sittin on a cornflake, eh? Total destruction to your mind. Groovy stuff, cool guitars, nice drums. Very much in the Sly Stone mould.

13 Swamp Dogg- Total Destruction To Your Mind
This is a standout from the long career of Jerry Williams aka Swamp Dogg. His later stuff is more blues-oriented, but I prefer his funky rock material like this one.
bhoywonder wrote:14. Which brings us on to this next track from the man himself and his happy family. The opener from Fresh, which is never play as much as some of the others. Still a fine LP though, as this demonstrates. Very cool bass on here. Very cool indeed.

14 Sly & The Family Stone- In Time
Apparently, Miles Davis made his band listen to this repeatedly, as a template for what he wanted to achieve with his electric band. A classic.
bhoywonder wrote:15. Heavier, too many synths, over-produced, ends up being dreaful prog, yet still has occasional moments of working, mainly on the refrain of ‘if it feels good it’s alright’. Difficult to listen to all the way through, to be honest, and the only clunker so far.

15 Chairmen Of The Board- Life & Death/White Rose/ Life & Death
Oh well. I love this. You don't. C'est la vie.

This soul/prog suite has Funkadelic's Eddie Hazel on guitar and Bernie Worrell on keys. But maybe you'd like their earlier material better, it's more straight ahead with some gems like "Give Me Just A little More Time" and "Pay To The Piper". General Johnson is a great singer, very indiosyncratic.
bhoywonder wrote:16. Having said which, this song gets right on my tits! Is it rotary connection? It’s certainly Minnie ripperton. It’s bloated hippy nonsense whatever it is!

16 Minnie Riperton- Les Fleur
I agree that the lyrics are hippie patchouli-stinkin' stuff, but I think the Stepney production and the melody overcome that shortcoming.
bhoywonder wrote:17. Swampish instrumental to close. Odd mix going on here. Horns all over the shop swamping everything but the bass, guitars and percussion way down. Underneath it is a cool tune. Imagine this done by booker t & the mgs with the Memphis horns. That would be nice.

17 Invaders- Lost Time
I don't know much about these guys, except that they were from Bermuda, and that this was a small-scale production job released on the tiny Duane label.
bhoywonder wrote:Overall, this is a top mix, I’ve already given it a good few outings and it’ll definitely get more. I’m looking forward to the reveal as I’m sure it’ll turn me on to a couple more things, which is always welcome! Many thanks mystery mixer!

You're welcome. Glad a lot of it hit the spot.

PSOUL-O-DELIC SOUNDS
1 The Undisputed Truth- Smiling Faces Sometimes 03:14
2 Baby Huey- Running 03:32
3 Funkadelic-You And Your Folks, Me And My Folks 03:36
4 The Temptations- Plastic Man 03:23
5 Eddie Floyd-Big Bird 02:55
6 Johnny "Guitar" Watson & Larry Williams- Nobody 02:33
7 Rotary Connection-Paper Castle 04:12
8 Cane & Able- Toe Hold 03:29
9 The Grodeck Whipperjenny- Sitting Here On A Tongue 02:49
10 Shuggie Otis- Strawberry Letter 23 03:55
11 The Ferris Wheel- I Can't Break The Habit 02:15
12 Rasputin's Stash- Middle Man 02:45
13 Swamp Dogg- Total Destruction To Your Mind 03:21
14 Sly & The Family Stone- In Time 05:44
15 Chairmen Of The Board- Life & Death/White Rose/ Life & Death 07:05
16 Minnie Riperton- Les Fleur 03:15
17 Invaders- Lost Time 02:02
You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 04 Dec 2009, 07:19

king feeb wrote:
bhoywonder wrote:16. Having said which, this song gets right on my tits! Is it rotary connection? It’s certainly Minnie ripperton. It’s bloated hippy nonsense whatever it is!

I agree that the lyrics are hippie patchouli-stinkin' stuff, but I think the Stepney production and the melody overcome that shortcoming.

An absolutely wonderful track, sweeping and sensuous. The Stepney arrangement and production are nothing short of genius.

king feeb
He's the consultant of swing

Postby king feeb » 04 Dec 2009, 07:28

Dr Modernist wrote:
king feeb wrote:

An absolutely wonderful track, sweeping and sensuous. The Stepney arrangement and production are nothing short of genius.

There's also an instrumental version by Ramsey Lewis, also produced by Charles Stepney, that is just a wonderful thing. On the same album: the most rollicking, funky instrumental version of "Lady Madonna" imaginable. :lol:
You'd pay big bucks to know what you really think.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 04 Dec 2009, 07:49

king feeb wrote:
There's also an instrumental version by Ramsey Lewis, also produced by Charles Stepney, that is just a wonderful thing. On the same album: the most rollicking, funky instrumental version of "Lady Madonna" imaginable. :lol:

Yeah I've got those - Ramsey Lewis really has fun with it doesn't he?
I first discovered Les Fleurs through the 4Hero cover, which I later discovered was just a note for note copy!

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 04 Dec 2009, 13:05

dgs wrote:Have I not shared with everyone the genius that is Jon Hopkins? Do you know it, yes, do you own it, yes, amongst a few other of his mixes that I have added to compilations. The perfect track to finish of the mix.
I've been listening to 'Insides' today. Excellent stuff!

dgs wrote:except Pete Namlook of course. Fear not he may appear in one of the mixes in the coming months.
I am, as always, a willing and grateful recipient. Many thanks.

Cosmic American Girl

Postby Cosmic American Girl » 07 Dec 2009, 01:07

First, my apologies for tardiness. I didn't think I'd be laid up as long as I was and even attempted to have Tony type my musings while on my pain medication but I kept drifting off. I thank my sender for sending a disc of music that was very relaxing to listen to during my recuperation. In my very drug induced state it sounded like the soundtrack to a summer picnic in a beautiful meadow. I will guess most if not all of these songs are from the 60's by the feel and the few I actually knew.

1- The disc begins with a lovely instrumental piece. Sounds as though it might possibly be from a soundtrack. Nice start.

2- "Something In The Air" by Thunderclap Newman. One of my favorite songs of all time. Big points. I used this song awhile back on the mix I made for Sloop.

3- I like this song. I feel like I should know who's singing it, but I don't. I get that feeling quite a lot listening to this mix. This one of the best/most frustrating mix club offerings that I have received because of that familiarity feeling.

4- Nice enough song. Only complaint is it goes on a bit too long.

5- A newer, I would guess, cover of an old blues song.

6- Sounds like Clare Torry of "The Great Gig In The Sky" fame singing on this.

7- "I Won't Hurt You", originally by West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band, but I don't know who did this version.

8- What a beautiful song! So mournful and delicate. My favorite from the ones I'm unfamiliar with.

9- "As We Go Along" by The Monkees. Another can't miss. I still have a little beanie hat from when I was five that I had my uncle write "I Love Davey" on.

10- Mike Oldfield, maybe from Tubular Bells, but certainly not the original version. Maybe the David Bedford one?

11- Nice acoustic guitar intro that slides into beautiful strings.

12- Maybe the Byrds? Later Byrds or solo Roger because it is definitely McGuinn but without all the fullness. I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

13- A bit of a pace breaker. A fun little romp with trombones and dogs.

14- A lovely song from the perspective of a bicycle. A coming of age sort of feeling.

15- This song has a soaring sound and a big vocal. Just Lovely!

16- Another of my favorites here. I'll be curious to see who this is. Great song.

17- "Grass" by the Pretty Things. Excellent choice.

18- Is this Scott Walker? Has that feel anyway.

Once again thank you for a lovely and well timed disc.

beenieman

Postby beenieman » 07 Dec 2009, 03:51

bhoywonder wrote:
beenieman wrote:
hookfinger wrote:I have been struggling with this review for some time now. I fear I may be doing a huge disservice to my mixer. I know that these things are a labor of love. I can't bring myself to critique this lp - track by track.

What I received a disc of ganja influenced reggae, not a damn thing wrong with that.

But unfortunately my ears are not tuned properly to reggae and ofttimes I wondered if I had not heard a certain track already, or maybe they just seemed to fade one into another. I suppose given the theme that is to be expected.

The only track I recognized was Peter Tosh's" Legalize It." I heard things I really liked. Some things that reminded me of The Melodians. But strewn in were things that just seemed to slick for me. Perhaps with time...

Until the sun is out and I can hang in my backyard around a hot grill, this lp may not click.

I really don't want to sound negative as I am interested in who I am listening to, I just can't give it a fair shake at this time. I'm very sorry, I really tried. Just bad timing.

:(

Perhaps someone would like it re-gifted?

Anyone?

I'll happily give it a whirl (and I know I still owe you a bonus disc review too, I haven't forgotten, just been really hectic for a while...sorry dude!)

Clearly you're my only 'convert' to date :(
One night, an evil spirit held me down
I could not make one single sound
Jah told me, 'Son, use the word'
And now I'm as free as a bird

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 07 Dec 2009, 09:26

beenieman wrote:Clearly you're my only 'convert' to date :(

If you sendspace it I'll probably dl it too. I enjoyed the last one. (thinks: must try to review that)
Last edited by Moleskin on 07 Dec 2009, 10:48, edited 1 time in total.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

Lemon Yoghourt

Postby Lemon Yoghourt » 07 Dec 2009, 10:22

martha wrote: Arrrgh. I KNEW I should have chosen a different track by VNV Nation for track 17. I had that song leading into this one...

"the Farthest Star" but for some reason when I assembled the album I pulled that off of there and stuck on "Illusion" as the next track instead. Jeff told me it was their most "accessible track" so I went with it instead. A major ERROR on my part. So please if you can Michael, give the above you tube video a listen to and let me know what you think. VNV Nation is my favorite band at the moment and I'd hate to think that I turned you off of them with. Illusion is probably their slowest paced song, and it really is a fairly boring track. What was I thinking!?! That it was accessible....accessible sucks...

I had a listen to this Martha, and it is better that the track you included on the compilation. I'll check out another few songs from VNV Nation. Thanks.

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 07 Dec 2009, 11:57

Cosmic American Girl wrote:First, my apologies for tardiness. I didn't think I'd be laid up as long as I was and even attempted to have Tony type my musings while on my pain medication but I kept drifting off. I thank my sender for sending a disc of music that was very relaxing to listen to during my recuperation. In my very drug induced state it sounded like the soundtrack to a summer picnic in a beautiful meadow. I will guess most if not all of these songs are from the 60's by the feel and the few I actually knew.

Hi Debi. No worries about the delay. I hope you're feeling better now. This was 'Season Of Mists and Mellow Fruitfulness', a disc put together to be evocative of those cold, bright days in autumn. The photo is of Puddletown forest, which in Thomas Hardy's day was a heath, which he'd cross to visit his relatives in the village.

There are several tracks here from the Ripples compilation Autumn Almanac. Ripples collected what they called 'sunshine pop' or 'harmony pop', and over the course of 7 or 8 themed discs there are plenty of covers of Monkees and Beach Boys songs by nice English boys, alongside the highlights of the Pye vaults.

Cosmic American Girl wrote:1- The disc begins with a lovely instrumental piece. Sounds as though it might possibly be from a soundtrack. Nice start.

This is King Crimson with 'Prelude: Song Of The Gulls' from Island.

Cosmic American Girl wrote:2- "Something In The Air" by Thunderclap Newman. One of my favorite songs of all time. Big points. I used this song awhile back on the mix I made for Sloop.

It's a wonderful song, and this is the stereo version from the album, which is well worth a listen.

Cosmic American Girl wrote:3- I like this song. I feel like I should know who's singing it, but I don't. I get that feeling quite a lot listening to this mix. This one of the best/most frustrating mix club offerings that I have received because of that familiarity feeling.

The song is called 'Frosted Panes' and comes from the Autumn Almanac compilation. The artists is The Kytes. I can't tell you anything much more about them, but this was a single in 1966. Also availabel on volume 10 of the Rubble series.

Cosmic American Girl wrote:4- Nice enough song. Only complaint is it goes on a bit too long.

One of Carlsson's favourite bands, Mighty Baby with 'The Happiest Man in The Carnival' from their album Jug Of Love. The album is largely acoustic and similar in vibe to Workingman's Dead.

Cosmic American Girl wrote:5- A newer, I would guess, cover of an old blues song.

Couldn't be further from the truth. This is the mighty Macca with a song called 'Light From Your Lighthouse', which is on the latest Fireman album.

Cosmic American Girl wrote:6- Sounds like Clare Torry of "The Great Gig In The Sky" fame singing on this.

Another hippy/progressive band favoured by C. This is Quintessence with 'Dive Deep', the title track of their third album.

Cosmic American Girl wrote:7- "I Won't Hurt You", originally by West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band, but I don't know who did this version.

I'm not familiar with the original, but this cover by Neo Maya is well-anthologised. I've got it on a Psychedelic Pstones disc as well as the Ripples. Neo Maya was a side project of Episode Six guitarist Graham Carter-Dimmock. (Episode Six of course gave birth to Deep Purple.)

Cosmic American Girl wrote:8- What a beautiful song! So mournful and delicate. My favorite from the ones I'm unfamiliar with.

Mott the Hoople, 'Waterlow'. From their third album, Wild Life. The song is about pushing his baby son around the local park in London. This third album is uncharacteristic of Mott, but has a lovely mood spoiled by the final track, an interminable cover of 'Keep a Knockin'.

Cosmic American Girl wrote:9- "As We Go Along" by The Monkees. Another can't miss. I still have a little beanie hat from when I was five that I had my uncle write "I Love Davey" on.

I'd somehow missed the beauty of this one until I watched 'Head' on DVD a few weeks ago but now it's my favourite Monkee song.

Cosmic American Girl wrote:10- Mike Oldfield, maybe from Tubular Bells, but certainly not the original version. Maybe the David Bedford one?

Not from the Bedford version - this is the 'Single' that was recorded for the UK on the suggestion of George Martin. It's available on the Expanded edition of Tubular Bells.

Cosmic American Girl wrote:11- Nice acoustic guitar intro that slides into beautiful strings.

Mike Hazlewood - 'Fine White Stallion'. Another from Autumn Almanac, that again I can offer little information on. There are many artists compiled on the Ripples discs where the sleevenotes admit they drew a blank.

Cosmic American Girl wrote:12- Maybe the Byrds? Later Byrds or solo Roger because it is definitely McGuinn but without all the fullness. I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

It is indeed the Byrds, from the Untitled album. 'All The Things'. (This may actually be an alternate take from the Unissued disc.)

Cosmic American Girl wrote:13- A bit of a pace breaker. A fun little romp with trombones and dogs.

The East End's best band. The Small Faces with 'The Universal'. If I recall this was their last single before breaking up.

Cosmic American Girl wrote:14- A lovely song from the perspective of a bicycle. A coming of age sort of feeling.

Kes Wyndham - 'Broken Bicycle', from 1971. he only released the one single and information is scanty.

Cosmic American Girl wrote:15- This song has a soaring sound and a big vocal. Just Lovely!

The band that became Gentle Giant. This is Simon Dupree & the Big Sound and their hit single 'Kites'. Apparently they rather dismiss it now, more fool them.

Cosmic American Girl wrote:16- Another of my favorites here. I'll be curious to see who this is. Great song.

This is the little-known and underappreciated Arnold, who signed to Creation just before the label went tits up. The song is called 'Float My Boat' and comes from their debut mini-album The Barn Tapes, which were intended to be demoes for the label but were given a proper release because McGee liked them so much. Their Hillside album is also rather special.

Cosmic American Girl wrote:17- "Grass" by the Pretty Things. Excellent choice.

I was on the verge of selling this but gave it another listen after Sir John Coan's evangelising. A genuinely fantastic 'lost' album.

Cosmic American Girl wrote:18- Is this Scott Walker? Has that feel anyway.

This is another unknown Ripples-sourced track. James Galt singing 'Comes The Dawn'. A single in 1965 on Pye.

Cosmic American Girl wrote:Once again thank you for a lovely and well timed disc.

It's a pleasure. I can happily provide cough mixture if you require it.
@hewsim

Jug Band Music
my own music

beenieman

Postby beenieman » 07 Dec 2009, 18:18

comrade moleskin wrote:

If you sendspace it I'll probably dl it too. I enjoyed the last one. (thinks: must try to review that)

You did review it.

Moleskin

Postby Moleskin » 07 Dec 2009, 19:33

beenieman wrote:
comrade moleskin wrote:

You did review it.

:oops: Doh! I remember now!
@hewsim

Jug Band Music
my own music

beenieman

Postby beenieman » 07 Dec 2009, 20:21

comrade moleskin wrote:
beenieman wrote:
You did review it.

:oops: Doh! I remember now!

You said it was absolutely the best Mix Club disc ever.

Return to “Mix Club”