Oct/Nov reviews

Exchange mix CDs with each other.
pcqgod

Oct/Nov reviews

Postby pcqgod » 21 Oct 2018, 21:03

Track 1: upbeat electric blues. Sounds like a Stevie Ray Vaughn sort of thing.
Track 2: a live version of a song I recognize as "Tears of God" by Los Lobos (pretty sure that's the title, anyway.)
Track 3: "Jealous Again," classic early Black Flag!
Track 4: Sounds like a Motown track I don't recognize. Good party number.
Track 5: A good pop-soul number with horns. I don't recognize the song or artist, but I dig it.
Track 6: Moody alt-rock track with a female vocalist singing in Spanish. I like this a lot. No idea who it is.
Track 7: Upbeat modern country number with a kind of "Subterranean Homesick Blues" groove to it, strong female vocal.
Track 8: "Sometime in the Morning" by The Monkees, a favorite of mine.
Track 9: Folk blues number, probably recorded somewhere between the 20's and 40's, I would guess. Great guitar playing on this.
Track 10: 60's-era soulful pop. I'm sure I've heard this before, but I don't recall the artist.
Track 11: Hard driving rockabilly/psychobilly instrumental. Good stuff.
Track 12: upbeat girl group/pop rock. Sounds like The Primitives, so it's something that immediately appeals to me.
Track 13: modern county number with a male vocalist featuring banjo, violin and mandolin and a loping rhythm. Good mood music.
Track 14: A novelty-ish girl group number, from the early 60's I'm guessing. Kazoo solo!
Track 15: Driving rock number with a heavy synth-drum beat and lots of squealing guitar feedback. Good, decadent rocking.
Track 16: I recognize this as Trans-Siberian Orchestra's version of "Carol of the Bells." I actually saw them (or one of the two touring versions of this group) a couple years ago with my girlfriend and others and I thought it was pretty fun in TSO's over-the-top fashion.

Thanks, good mix.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Nick Danger

Re: Oct/Nov reviews

Postby Nick Danger » 22 Oct 2018, 13:54

Track 1: upbeat electric blues. Sounds like a Stevie Ray Vaughn sort of thing.

Modern bluesman Lucky Peterson from 2001.

Track 2: a live version of a song I recognize as "Tears of God" by Los Lobos (pretty sure that's the title, anyway.)

From a live boot.

One of my favorite punk songs.

Pucker Up Buttercup by Junior Walker and the All Stars (1966)

Track 5: A good pop-soul number with horns. I don't recognize the song or artist, but I dig it.

Temptation Eyes, a top 20 U.S. hit by The Grass Roots.

Track 6: Moody alt-rock track with a female vocalist singing in Spanish. I like this a lot. No idea who it is.

This is Chilean band Miss Garrison in 2016.

Track 7: Upbeat modern country number with a kind of "Subterranean Homesick Blues" groove to it, strong female vocal.

The band is Sugarland and the powerhouse vocalist is Jennifer Nettles.

One of my favorites also.

Track 9: Folk blues number, probably recorded somewhere between the 20's and 40's, I would guess. Great guitar playing on this.

Hobo Blues from John Lee Hooker in 1966.

Track 10: 60's-era soulful pop. I'm sure I've heard this before, but I don't recall the artist.

Don't You Care by The Buckinghams, a top 10 U.S. hit in 1967.

Japanese band Switch Trout from 1999.

Track 12: upbeat girl group/pop rock. Sounds like The Primitives, so it's something that immediately appeals to me.

This is Knife Pleats, the latest band vehicle of Rose Melberg (Brave Irene, Tiger Trap) from their only album (2015). From your mention I checked out The Primitives and I like them. I ordered their "best of" import compilation.

Track 13: modern county number with a male vocalist featuring banjo, violin and mandolin and a loping rhythm. Good mood music.

Call The Captain by The Steep Canyon Rangers (2007).

Track 14: A novelty-ish girl group number, from the early 60's I'm guessing. Kazoo solo!

Dumbhead by Ginny Arnell (1963).

Track 15: Driving rock number with a heavy synth-drum beat and lots of squealing guitar feedback. Good, decadent rocking.

Brooklyn based band Foreign Islands from 2007.

Track 16: I recognize this as Trans-Siberian Orchestra's version of "Carol of the Bells." I actually saw them (or one of the two touring versions of this group) a couple years ago with my girlfriend and others and I thought it was pretty fun in TSO's over-the-top fashion.

That's them.

Thanks, good mix.

Glad you liked it. It was a lot of fun to make.

Tracklist-

1. Remember The Day - Lucky Peterson
2. Tears Of God - Los Lobos
3. Jealous Again - Black Flag
4. Pucker Up Buttercup - Jr. Walker and the All Stars
5. Temptation Eyes - The Grass Roots
6. Playas - Miss Garrison
7. Down In Mississippi - Sugarland
8. Sometime In The Morning - The Monkees
9. Hobo Blues - John Lee Hooker
10. Don't You Care - The Buckinghams
11. Psychodestruct - Switch Trout
12. One Step Too Far - Knife Pleats
13. Call The Captain - The Steep Canyon Rangers
14. Dumbhead - Ginny Arnell
15. We Know You Know It - Foreign Islands
16. Christmas Eve Sarajevo - The Trans Siberian Orchestra

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 24 Oct 2018, 16:55

Nick Danger wrote:Track 1: upbeat electric blues. Sounds like a Stevie Ray Vaughn sort of thing.

Modern bluesman Lucky Peterson from 2001.

From a live boot.

One of my favorite punk songs.

Pucker Up Buttercup by Junior Walker and the All Stars (1966)

Temptation Eyes, a top 20 U.S. hit by The Grass Roots.

This is Chilean band Miss Garrison in 2016.

The band is Sugarland and the powerhouse vocalist is Jennifer Nettles.

One of my favorites also.

Hobo Blues from John Lee Hooker in 1966.

Don't You Care by The Buckinghams, a top 10 U.S. hit in 1967.

Japanese band Switch Trout from 1999.

This is Knife Pleats, the latest band vehicle of Rose Melberg (Brave Irene, Tiger Trap) from their only album (2015). From your mention I checked out The Primitives and I like them. I ordered their "best of" import compilation.

Call The Captain by The Steep Canyon Rangers (2007).

Dumbhead by Ginny Arnell (1963).

Brooklyn based band Foreign Islands from 2007.

That's them.

Thanks, good mix.

Glad you liked it. It was a lot of fun to make.

Tracklist-

1. Remember The Day - Lucky Peterson
2. Tears Of God - Los Lobos
3. Jealous Again - Black Flag
4. Pucker Up Buttercup - Jr. Walker and the All Stars
5. Temptation Eyes - The Grass Roots
6. Playas - Miss Garrison
7. Down In Mississippi - Sugarland
8. Sometime In The Morning - The Monkees
9. Hobo Blues - John Lee Hooker
10. Don't You Care - The Buckinghams
11. Psychodestruct - Switch Trout
12. One Step Too Far - Knife Pleats
13. Call The Captain - The Steep Canyon Rangers
14. Dumbhead - Ginny Arnell
15. We Know You Know It - Foreign Islands
16. Christmas Eve Sarajevo - The Trans Siberian Orchestra

I'm going to have to look out for Miss Garrison and Knife Pleats.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 04 Nov 2018, 05:46

Got a very interesting and varied mix this time!

1. A Rice Kripsies ad to kick things off, with the Stones belting out an R&B promo. Good fun!

2. A funky little 60s or 70s tune with a theme about martial arts/Thai boxing, like it. Haya!

3. A slice of girl group guitar pop - of more recent vintage, it sound like - and right up my street. Nice and sweet.

4. An updated take on 60s surf/latin garage that's cute, though i could have dome without the 'dinero' 'sombrero' rhyme. :)

5. A big, orchestrated pop number, maybe late 60s or early 70s, that i've enjoyed. Has a bit of rock meat on its bones to go with the string sections and horns. Good stuff!

6. A 60s novelty tune about King Kong, with some very nice fuzz guitar and animal yelps and growls in the break. Good fun.

7. A guitar pop ballad has some nice 70s-sounding touches, but the singer's voice is a bit of a tough one for me, a little too high and weedy.

8. An old country-styled rocker in a live setting, good fun. Great guitar picking.

9. Another ad, this time for The Ventures and one of their albums. Wherever phonograph records are sold! :) cute

10. A nice bouncy new wave-y guitar pop number, about having or wanting to have a Cortina of all things. :lol: also good fun

11. A more traditional-sounding, classic big 60s girl pop tune, sounds familiar but can't place the singer. Right up my alley so enjoy it a lot, and the twanging guitar through it is a pleasure.

12. A bluegrass-y version of ABBA's 'SOS', of all things, that i have quite enjoyed. Just goes to show that a great song is a great song, that shines through in different styles. Great fun.

13. A big genre turn here, into some deep dancefloor electronica and a tune about S&M and wearing leather. I like this stuff (the electronica that is :) ) and this is fun. Thanks picker, another nice discovery.

14. A big sounding barroom rocker, handclaps and sax solo included. Not the kind of thing i listen to much these days, but still sounds fun.

15. A short little poppy punky ditty that seems to be channeling the space somewhere between Ramones and Shonen Knife. Ok.

16. A gentle acoustic guitar instrumental that i've enjoyed, look forward to the reveal.

17. A recentish-sounding tune that mixes ska with more punky energy; interesting, though it seemed to blow by too quickly.

18. A spoken word story with a grandfather telling his Cockney-sounding grandkid about a medieval LotR-type battle from his youth, which means grandad was probably about 600 years old. I shudder to think who the Metal Kings are. :)

19. A familiar sounding tune with a melody that has been eating away at my brain, like an old Xmas tune or Classical melody. Good fun.

20. And to finish up is a snippet of an interview or studio talk with John Lennon i think, talking about the recording of one of his songs and its inspiration through Jah.

Cheers mixer, an eclectic and enjoyable disc!
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 04 Nov 2018, 22:16

1. A Rice Kripsies ad to kick things off, with the Stones belting out an R&B promo. Good fun!

From a Stones bootleg called 'Bones and Jones 2' or something like that.

2. A funky little 60s or 70s tune with a theme about martial arts/Thai boxing, like it. Haya!

This track appears on the compilation 'Thai Beat A-Go Go' vol. 3. According to the liner notes, the performer, Jiraphand Ong-Ard, was a famous lounge singer in Thailand.

3. A slice of girl group guitar pop - of more recent vintage, it sound like - and right up my street. Nice and sweet.

The School, from their 2010 album 'Loveless Unbeliever.' I believe they're a Welsh band.

4. An updated take on 60s surf/latin garage that's cute, though i could have dome without the 'dinero' 'sombrero' rhyme. :)

Texas "Nuevo Wavo" singer Joe "King" Carrasco, from his 1984 'Bordertown' l.p., which actually saw him moving in a more serious and political direction musically, though this song is more typical of the party-ready sounds he had been known for previously.

5. A big, orchestrated pop number, maybe late 60s or early 70s, that i've enjoyed. Has a bit of rock meat on its bones to go with the string sections and horns. Good stuff!

A pre-Jesus Christ Superstar single by Murray Head, 1967.

6. A 60s novelty tune about King Kong, with some very nice fuzz guitar and animal yelps and growls in the break. Good fun.

Credited to a band called the Go-Rillas. I found this on the Stag-o-Lee compilation 'Chop Chop' which unfortunately provides zero information on the track.

7. A guitar pop ballad has some nice 70s-sounding touches, but the singer's voice is a bit of a tough one for me, a little too high and weedy.

Promise, an American power pop group that recorded a self-titled album in 1980 and disappeared.

8. An old country-styled rocker in a live setting, good fun. Great guitar picking.

Country legend Ernest Tubb playing live in 1965.

9. Another ad, this time for The Ventures and one of their albums. Wherever phonograph records are sold! :) cute

This and another couple of radio promos appear on the 1987 cd compilation 'Walk Don't Run: The Best of the Ventures.'

10. A nice bouncy new wave-y guitar pop number, about having or wanting to have a Cortina of all things. :lol: also good fun

Mod revival band The Lambrettas from their debut album, 'Beat Boys in the Jet Age' (1980).

11. A more traditional-sounding, classic big 60s girl pop tune, sounds familiar but can't place the singer. Right up my alley so enjoy it a lot, and the twanging guitar through it is a pleasure.

A 1962 single by Connie Francis.

12. A bluegrass-y version of ABBA's 'SOS', of all things, that i have quite enjoyed. Just goes to show that a great song is a great song, that shines through in different styles. Great fun.

The Meat Purveyors, an Austin, Texas based bluegrass band, from their 2002 album 'All Relationships are Doomed to Fail.'

13. A big genre turn here, into some deep dancefloor electronica and a tune about S&M and wearing leather. I like this stuff (the electronica that is :) ) and this is fun. Thanks picker, another nice discovery.

The Cosmetics, a Vancouver-based duo. The song appears on the 2010 compilation 'Rough Trade Shops: Synth Wave 10.'

14. A big sounding barroom rocker, handclaps and sax solo included. Not the kind of thing i listen to much these days, but still sounds fun.

The title track of Peter Wolf's second solo album after leaving The J. Geils Band, 1987.

15. A short little poppy punky ditty that seems to be channeling the space somewhere between Ramones and Shonen Knife. Ok.

A Houston band called Junior Varsity, from their 'Bam Bam Bam' album, 2000.

16. A gentle acoustic guitar instrumental that i've enjoyed, look forward to the reveal.

Yes guitarist Steve Howe playing a lute concerto by Vivaldi on his 'Not Necessarily Acoustic' live album from 1994.

17. A recentish-sounding tune that mixes ska with more punky energy; interesting, though it seemed to blow by too quickly.

Bombflower. According to their Bandcamp page they are from Illinois, but must have some Texas connection, because I found this track on a homemade compilation of new musical acts from Texas.

18. A spoken word story with a grandfather telling his Cockney-sounding grandkid about a medieval LotR-type battle from his youth, which means grandad was probably about 600 years old. I shudder to think who the Metal Kings are. :)

Spoken word track that appears on Manowar's 1988 album 'Kings of Metal', the last one to feature Dictators guitarist Ross the Boss I believe (though obviously not on this track).

19. A familiar sounding tune with a melody that has been eating away at my brain, like an old Xmas tune or Classical melody. Good fun.

1966 single by Van Dyke Parks based on Beethoven's "Ode to Joy" from his 9th symphony (hence the title).

20. And to finish up is a snippet of an interview or studio talk with John Lennon i think, talking about the recording of one of his songs and its inspiration through Jah.

Track that appears on the Beatles 'Artifacts II' bootleg boxed set.

1. Rolling Stones - Snip Snap Crackle
2. Jiraphand Ong-Ard - Thai Boxing
3. The School - Let it Slip
4. Joe King Carrasco - Dinero
5. Murray Head - She Was Perfection
6. The Go-Rillas - I Go (King Kong)
7. Promise - Guitar
8. Ernest Tubb - Driving Nails in my Coffin
9. Ventures Twist Party promo
10. Lambrettas - Cortina MK II
11. Connie Francis - Don't Break the Heart that Love You
12. Meat Purveyors - SOS
13. Cosmetics - Black Leather Gloves
14. Peter Wolf - Come as You Are
15. Junior Varsity - Lafayette Rock City
16. Steve Howe - Concerto in D second movement
17. Bomblower - Coozehound
18. Manowar - The Warrior's Prayer
19. Van Dyke Parks - Number Nine
20. Beatles - backwards speech

I had fun making this mix. Thanks for listening.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 14 Nov 2018, 23:03

Have really enjoyed listening to this mix, nice laid back feel to it, several tracks are annoyingly familiar but I can't place them, so very interested to see who is who, Enjoyed every track on this, no clunkers at all

1) Have no idea who this is, but its a very nice laid back acoustic groove - be interested to know who this is, very nice seventies sounding soul track

2) Sixties pop psych number, with harmonies, sounds kinda like the Association , great stuff

3) One I know, Darondo - great stuff , maximum soul

4) 70s singer songwriter, but not sure who this is - the vocal is annoyingly familiar but I can't place who it is.

5) Another soul track , really liking this but not sure who it is either, great vocal, sounds a little like Al Green

6) Labi Siffre - great singer, unique voice, haven’t heard him in a very long time

7) Another very groovy track , seventies Brazilian songwriter feel to it, this track has a great nagging little acoustic guitar hook/riff, really loving it.

8) Nice piece of laid back sixties/seventies soul, great vocal

9) Really loving this - nice fuzzy guitar pop but a good tune to hang it all on, great stuff

10) This is Frank Black I think , like it a lot but not familiar with much of his solo stuff, but really enjoyed this.

11)Not sure about this one, the melody actually reminds me a bit of Paranoid Android, kinda sounds like vintage Scott Walker, I really feel like I should know who this is and interested to see.

12) Nice sixties track , I love me some hammond organ and nice female vocal.

Thanks to the mixer, everything on it was an enjoyable listen, and only a couple of tracks were familiar.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 15 Nov 2018, 12:46

Mike Boom wrote:Have really enjoyed listening to this mix, nice laid back feel to it, several tracks are annoyingly familiar but I can't place them, so very interested to see who is who, Enjoyed every track on this, no clunkers at all

1) Have no idea who this is, but its a very nice laid back acoustic groove - be interested to know who this is, very nice seventies sounding soul track

2) Sixties pop psych number, with harmonies, sounds kinda like the Association , great stuff

3) One I know, Darondo - great stuff , maximum soul

4) 70s singer songwriter, but not sure who this is - the vocal is annoyingly familiar but I can't place who it is.

5) Another soul track , really liking this but not sure who it is either, great vocal, sounds a little like Al Green

6) Labi Siffre - great singer, unique voice, haven’t heard him in a very long time

7) Another very groovy track , seventies Brazilian songwriter feel to it, this track has a great nagging little acoustic guitar hook/riff, really loving it.

8) Nice piece of laid back sixties/seventies soul, great vocal

9) Really loving this - nice fuzzy guitar pop but a good tune to hang it all on, great stuff

10) This is Frank Black I think , like it a lot but not familiar with much of his solo stuff, but really enjoyed this.

11)Not sure about this one, the melody actually reminds me a bit of Paranoid Android, kinda sounds like vintage Scott Walker, I really feel like I should know who this is and interested to see.

12) Nice sixties track , I love me some hammond organ and nice female vocal.

Thanks to the mixer, everything on it was an enjoyable listen, and only a couple of tracks were familiar.

Great, really glad it seemed to mostly hit the spot. I was tryin to get an eclectic mix that had a generally laidback, autumnal sort of feel, but would sound great with the volume turned up nice and loud.

Tracklist

1. Terry Callier - 'Turn This Mutha'
2. The Turtles - 'So Goes Love'
3. Darondo - 'Didn't I'
4. Jonathan Edwards - 'Emma'
5. Phillip Mitchell - 'Turning Over The Ground'
6. Labi Siffre - 'Watch Me'
7. Milton Nascimento and Lo Borges - 'Tudo Que Voce Podia Ser'
8. Lou Bond - 'Why Must Our Eyes Always Be Turned Backwards'
9. Cardinal - 'Love Like Rain'
10. Frank Black - 'Czar'
11. Chris Wilson - 'Rose Tattoo' (the Aussie singer-songwriter, from his Landlocked album of '92)
12. Julie Driscoll with Brian Auger & The Trinity - 'The Road To Cairo'

Cheers!
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 01 Dec 2018, 19:03

Disc from Mike Boom. Much to enjoy.....

1) I was listening to this for a while assuming it was something I owned as it was so familiar, before deciding this just has to be ELO. It has Jeff Lynne written all over it. It’s not one of the four or five singles I could easily identify, so I can only surmise I must have heard this a lot more than I thought. My view of ELO is similar to my view of Queen. Likable stuff when it comes on the radio or jukebox, but not really my thing, although I do get the appeal.
2) Great baroque pop piano stylings drive this along a la Ben Folds. I’m guessing by the vocals this is the Bee Gees. Can there really be anyone else who sings like that ? Rather liking this.
3) This sounds like one of those 70s country rock/blue rock bands whose name I ‘ll probably know. Sounds a bit dated but I like it well enough.
4) Same story here although a bit more proggy/folky. Vocals sound a bit Jethro Tullish
5) Joni and one of my favourite Joni songs too. This is just so great. It really is.
6) I think it was The Marvelettes who did this. I’m sure I first heard the song on the second Garcia solo album. A fine example of just how great a songwriter Smokey is.
7) Like this a lot and may even own it. Sounds a lot like Aimee Mann
8) I’m not sure Smile was quite the long lost masterpiece. Certainly the tracks that made it to Smiley Smile nd what became part of Surfs Up are pure genius but elsewhere as here it has great ideas but lacks flow and coherence. This is all a bit stop start but of course Wilson’s genius does shine through.
9) The next two I know and own so our tastes seem to overlap even at the obscurer end of the spectrum .Alvvays , pop perfection…..
10) …. And John Howard, wonderful overblown balladry. Great choices both
11) Pleasant enough but I do struggle with this kind of ambient stuff. Sometimes it can reach a kind of transcendent beauty (From Gardens Where We Feel Secure). I’m sure on a summer’s day with a cold beer chilling to this all would seem right with the world, but listening sat at home I’d be reaching for something else probably.
12) Well I got some way past the point of thinking I don’t remember the intro being this long before realising Rog was going to be a no-show. I’m glad I played this once. You do get the full insight into the arrangement which is impressive, but wouldn’t rush to play it again in its entirety. Still an interesting curio
We're way past rhubarb

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 01 Dec 2018, 23:53

The Fish wrote:Disc from Mike Boom. Much to enjoy.....

1) I was listening to this for a while assuming it was something I owned as it was so familiar, before deciding this just has to be ELO. It has Jeff Lynne written all over it. It’s not one of the four or five singles I could easily identify, so I can only surmise I must have heard this a lot more than I thought. My view of ELO is similar to my view of Queen. Likable stuff when it comes on the radio or jukebox, but not really my thing, although I do get the appeal.
2) Great baroque pop piano stylings drive this along a la Ben Folds. I’m guessing by the vocals this is the Bee Gees. Can there really be anyone else who sings like that ? Rather liking this.
3) This sounds like one of those 70s country rock/blue rock bands whose name I ‘ll probably know. Sounds a bit dated but I like it well enough.
4) Same story here although a bit more proggy/folky. Vocals sound a bit Jethro Tullish
5) Joni and one of my favourite Joni songs too. This is just so great. It really is.
6) I think it was The Marvelettes who did this. I’m sure I first heard the song on the second Garcia solo album. A fine example of just how great a songwriter Smokey is.
7) Like this a lot and may even own it. Sounds a lot like Aimee Mann
8) I’m not sure Smile was quite the long lost masterpiece. Certainly the tracks that made it to Smiley Smile nd what became part of Surfs Up are pure genius but elsewhere as here it has great ideas but lacks flow and coherence. This is all a bit stop start but of course Wilson’s genius does shine through.
9) The next two I know and own so our tastes seem to overlap even at the obscurer end of the spectrum .Alvvays , pop perfection…..
10) …. And John Howard, wonderful overblown balladry. Great choices both
11) Pleasant enough but I do struggle with this kind of ambient stuff. Sometimes it can reach a kind of transcendent beauty (From Gardens Where We Feel Secure). I’m sure on a summer’s day with a cold beer chilling to this all would seem right with the world, but listening sat at home I’d be reaching for something else probably.
12) Well I got some way past the point of thinking I don’t remember the intro being this long before realising Rog was going to be a no-show. I’m glad I played this once. You do get the full insight into the arrangement which is impressive, but wouldn’t rush to play it again in its entirety. Still an interesting curio

Glad you enjoyed it - great to see a fellow John Howard fan, an actual gem of a hidden gem.
I know what you mean about the Baba O'Reily - you keep waiting for the missing bits, but it is indeed interesting.
Andy Pratt was a bit of a one hit wonder, but his first couple of albums are real treasures.

1. 10538 Overture Electric Light Orchestra
2. Avenging Annie Andy Pratt Andy Pratt
3. Medley: No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature The Guess Who
4. Summerday Sands Jethro Tull Minstrel In The Gallery
5. The Silky Veils Of Ardor Joni Mitchell Don Juan's Reckless Daughter
6. The Hunter Gets Captured By the Game The Marvelettes
7. Golden A Girl Called Eddy
8. Do You Like Worms (Roll Plymouth Rock) The Beach Boys The Smile Sessions [Disc 1]
9. Archie, Marry Me Alvvays
10. Kid In a Big World (Alternate Version) John Howard
11. Becalmed Brian Eno Another Green World
12. Baba O'Riley (Instrumental) Pete Townshend Who Came First - 45th Anniversary Edition

Nick Danger

Postby Nick Danger » 07 Dec 2018, 20:00

From across the Atlantic has come another entertaining mix . . .

1. Sounds like ole timey blues/rock and roll but is probably modern judging by the production. I think I've heard the song before. Good start.
2. Prominent fiddle, a female folk singer, perhaps a highland lass? The fiddle and percussion work well. I like female led folk music like this.
3. More modern, is this Ricky lee Jones? This is nice with a layered and busy arrangement.
4. Another female folk singer, lovely with great harmony. I love this! I can't identify the voice but there's a whole group of British female folk singers I need to investigate further . . . the whole June Tabor, Anne Briggs, etc.
5. Old time polka. Song is called California Polka I'm assuming. It's straight out of the 40's but the production sounds more recent. Quaint.
6. Smooth and pleasant, lopes along, a country rock tune. Love the jangly guitar. The voice is very familiar but I'm not coming up with it. This was just ok on first listen but has proved to be a grower.
7. Jarring transistion, which I like and frequently use. Great bassline, guitar, and drums. The vocal is the weakest part. It's nice power pop.
8. This is very nice. Quietly pastoral, gentle piano, unhurried vocals. Another excellent female folk vocal performance. Love it.
9. Change of gears to a gravelly voice. Tom Waits? Nice song, nice performance. Not sure I could listen to a whole album.
10. Loving the variety, now we have pop r&b, sounds 70's. Familiar voice but it's not coming to me. Good band, good time, I like.
11. This song is ok but the production is offputting. The overdubs and the constant droning bother me.
12. This sounds every bit like a modern cover of a song from the 50's. I think I vaguely remember the original. Didn't particularly like this.
13. This is beautiful. Slow, deliberate, somewhat mournful. It's a lovely and powerful performance. Nina Simone? Anita Baker?
14. Another great female vocal ballad. Reminiscent of Linda Ronstadt but I'm not sure it's her. Regardless I like it.
15. We're finishing with a bang. Swinging jump blues, infectious beat, a little call and response. Well done. Like the buzzy sax and muted cornet.
High tempo fun, makes you want to dance. It's probably retro. I like this, great finish.

Thanks mixer, well done. I am very curious to hear the reveal.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 08 Dec 2018, 19:56

Nick Danger wrote:From across the Atlantic has come another entertaining mix . . .

1. Sounds like ole timey blues/rock and roll but is probably modern judging by the production. I think I've heard the song before. Good start.

Apparently there's a thriving scene for this stuff in Germany, whence both this and the closing track come. This one is Cherry Casino And The Gamblers

2. Prominent fiddle, a female folk singer, perhaps a highland lass? The fiddle and percussion work well. I like female led folk music like this.

Very much English. Nancy Kerr who recorded a couple of albums with Eliza Carthy

3. More modern, is this Ricky lee Jones? This is nice with a layered and busy arrangement.

Not that modern 1968 - Laura Nyro. You should certainly investigate this album Eli And THe Thirteenth confession and also New York Tendaberry

4. Another female folk singer, lovely with great harmony. I love this! I can't identify the voice but there's a whole group of British female folk singers I need to investigate further . . . the whole June Tabor, Anne Briggs, etc.

Very much American - Dori Freeman

5. Old time polka. Song is called California Polka I'm assuming. It's straight out of the 40's but the production sounds more recent. Quaint.

No it's proper vintage. Tex Williams. Corny yes cheesy yes but I just love this stuff

6. Smooth and pleasant, lopes along, a country rock tune. Love the jangly guitar. The voice is very familiar but I'm not coming up with it. This was just ok on first listen but has proved to be a grower.

These days he's Brian Wilson's musical director , but he cut a few albums of great pop songs like this - Jeffrey Foskett

7. Jarring transistion, which I like and frequently use. Great bassline, guitar, and drums. The vocal is the weakest part. It's nice power pop.
We'll have to agree to disagree on the vocals. Canadian Terra Lightfoot. What I love about this album is that it has that feel that made Car Wheels On A Gravel Road so great. If I had to find a name for it, I'd call it swagger.

8. This is very nice. Quietly pastoral, gentle piano, unhurried vocals. Another excellent female folk vocal performance. Love it.
Like a breath of fresh air. One of the greatest things out there right now. Courtney Marie Andrews

9. Change of gears to a gravelly voice. Tom Waits? Nice song, nice performance. Not sure I could listen to a whole album.
Go on try. You know you want to :D Really underrated guy I like a lot - Jeff Finlin

10. Loving the variety, now we have pop r&b, sounds 70's. Familiar voice but it's not coming to me. Good band, good time, I like.
Righteous Brother Bobby Hatfield's solo album Messin' In Muscle Shoals. If you like that white southern soul stuff Dan Penn, Eddie Hinton et al then this is worth checking out

11. This song is ok but the production is offputting. The overdubs and the constant droning bother me.

Swedish girl roots band Baskery

12. This sounds every bit like a modern cover of a song from the 50's. I think I vaguely remember the original. Didn't particularly like this.
I've known of this band for years but had them pegged as sounding different. Been grtting into them in a big way recently. SOuthern Culture On THe Skids - B52s meet The Cramps and all manner of Trash/Surf/Exotica/Lounge rock in between.

13. This is beautiful. Slow, deliberate, somewhat mournful. It's a lovely and powerful performance. Nina Simone? Anita Baker?
I used another song from this album in the BCB cup last year - Melody Gardot

14. Another great female vocal ballad. Reminiscent of Linda Ronstadt but I'm not sure it's her. Regardless I like it.
I could listen to anyone sing a Jimmy Webb song and I could listen to Jennifer Warnes sing anything so this for me is win:win

15. We're finishing with a bang. Swinging jump blues, infectious beat, a little call and response. Well done. Like the buzzy sax and muted cornet.
High tempo fun, makes you want to dance. It's probably retro. I like this, great finish.

Back to Germany for the similarly ungerman sounding Ray Collins Hot Club

Thanks mixer, well done. I am very curious to hear the reveal.
Always a pleasure

1. Cherry Casino & The Gamblers - Did You Hear That Door Slam
2. Nancy Kerr - My Little Drummer
3. Laura Nyro - Lu
4. Dori Freeman - Where I Stood
5. Tex WIlliams - The Californa Polka
6. Jeffrey Foskett - Woro Go
7. Terra Lightfoot - Stars Over Dakota
8. Courtney Marie ANdrews - 500 Nights
9. Jeff Finlin - Soho Rain
10. Bobby Hatfield - The Felling Is Rght
11. Baskery - The Last Beat