Nov/Dec Reviews

Exchange mix CDs with each other.
Mike Boom

Nov/Dec Reviews

Postby Mike Boom » 03 Dec 2017, 18:03

Really enjoyed this mix, great selection that were great fun to listen to

Track 1 - Fleetwood Mac - Why from Mystery to Me - I love this song, personal favorite, Christine has such a great voice and nice guitar , love the Bob Welch era of Mac, beautiful. A live version with Lindsay Buckingham on guitar
Track 2 - some garage rock n roll - no idea who this is, I kinda like this but a little goes a long way for me, theres only so much “poor sixties production band in a garage in a minor key” before it all sounds the same to me.
Track 3 - Beautiful live Cocteau Twins track, not sure what song this is tho, is wonderful.
Track 4 - George Strait and Amarillo by Morning - don’t mess with Texas
Track 5 - Not sure who this is but I like it, nice groove and nice vocals.
Track 6 - Another personal favorite - Jimmy Ruffin - What Becomes of the Broken Hearted, great great great. Tremendously moving song - what a vocal.
Track 7 - ahhh The Buckinghams - wonderful, Kind of a Drag is Godhead
Track 8 - Smokey - another vocal from heaven.
Track 9 - The late great Townes Van Zandt - nice live version Ill Be There in The Morning, great singer of wonderful songs
Track 10 - Stevie Ray Vaughn on geeetar I believe, not sure what this is from tho.
Track 11 - I really like this - but not sure who it is , but I feel like I should.
Track 12 - Not sure who this is either but I love the banjo, and this is kinda great, I do love me some bluegrass
Track 13 - Like this too - kinda country but kinda poppy too. Is this Poco or someone ?
Track 14 - Hmmm I really like this, great pop song, kinda CA sunshine pop very nice.
Track 15 - Nice live version of Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring - Beach Boys doing the Four Freshman, great stuff
Track 16 - Love this - kinda jazzy groove with great horns - is this Blood Sweat and Tears ? Horns handled properly just sound so powerful, good stuff.

Greatly enjoyed listening to this thank you kind mixer, some familiar , some new, some faves - what more could you want ? Thanks again.

fange
100% fangetastic

Re: Nov/Dec Reviews

Postby fange » 04 Dec 2017, 04:12

Received!
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Nick Danger

Postby Nick Danger » 04 Dec 2017, 21:57

Mike Boom wrote:Really enjoyed this mix, great selection that were great fun to listen to

Track 1 - Fleetwood Mac - Why from Mystery to Me - I love this song, personal favorite, Christine has such a great voice and nice guitar , love the Bob Welch era of Mac, beautiful. A live version with Lindsay Buckingham on guitar

Live 1975, the first tour for Buckingham and Nicks.

Track 2 - some garage rock n roll - no idea who this is, I kinda like this but a little goes a long way for me, theres only so much “poor sixties production band in a garage in a minor key” before it all sounds the same to me.

You Treated Me Bad by the JuJus off a Pebbles comp.

Track 3 - Beautiful live Cocteau Twins track, not sure what song this is tho, is wonderful.

The song is Crushed. I like this version better than the studio track.

Track 4 - George Strait and Amarillo by Morning - don’t mess with Texas

Yep

Track 5 - Not sure who this is but I like it, nice groove and nice vocals.

Chilean band called Miss Garrison with a track from 2016.

Track 6 - Another personal favorite - Jimmy Ruffin - What Becomes of the Broken Hearted, great great great. Tremendously moving song - what a vocal.

One of my absolute favorites also.

Track 7 - ahhh The Buckinghams - wonderful, Kind of a Drag is Godhead

You're right, the song is Don't You Care.

Track 8 - Smokey - another vocal from heaven.

More Love by Smokey and the Miracles.

Track 9 - The late great Townes Van Zandt - nice live version Ill Be There in The Morning, great singer of wonderful songs

Early TVZ boot at a coffeehouse near the University of Minnesota in front of about 30 people. Love this song.

Track 10 - Stevie Ray Vaughn on geeetar I believe, not sure what this is from tho.

This is bluesman Lucky Peterson on vocals and guitar, Remember The Day from 2001.

Track 11 - I really like this - but not sure who it is , but I feel like I should.

The band is called Knife Pleats from their only album (2015).

Track 12 - Not sure who this is either but I love the banjo, and this is kinda great, I do love me some bluegrass

The Steep Canyon Rangers with Call The Captain.

Track 13 - Like this too - kinda country but kinda poppy too. Is this Poco or someone ?

You got it, it's Poco from their 1974 album Cantamos. Timothy B. Schmitt is the composer and singer.

Track 14 - Hmmm I really like this, great pop song, kinda CA sunshine pop very nice.

The Monkees with Sometime In The Morning from their second album, More Of.

Track 15 - Nice live version of Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring - Beach Boys doing the Four Freshman, great stuff

From a 1969 Paris boot.

Track 16 - Love this - kinda jazzy groove with great horns - is this Blood Sweat and Tears ? Horns handled properly just sound so powerful, good stuff.

One hit wonder band Lighthouse with their hit from 1971 One Fine Morning.

Greatly enjoyed listening to this thank you kind mixer, some familiar , some new, some faves - what more could you want ? Thanks again.

You're welcome. It was a lot of fun to make and I've listened to it many times.

Tracklist -

(1) Why - Fleetwood Mac
(2) You Treated Me Bad - The JuJus
(3) Crushed - The Cocteau Twins
(4) Amarillo By Morning - George Strait
(5) Playas - Miss Garrison
(6) What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted - Jimmy Ruffin
(7) Don't You Care - The Buckinghams
(8) More Love - Smokey Robinson and the Miracles
(9) I'll Be Here In The Morning - Townes Van Zandt
(10) Remember The Day - Lucky Peterson
(11) One Step Too Far - The Knife Pleats
(12) Call The Captain - The Steep Canyon Rangers
(13) Bitter Blue - Poco
(14) Sometime In The Morning - The Monkees
(15) Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring - The Beach Boys
(16) One Fine Morning - LIghthouse

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 12 Dec 2017, 22:05

I'm out of town and away from my disc until The weekend but I promise I will do it then. Sorry for the delay, sender!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 13 Dec 2017, 13:39

Been spinning this one a few times this week, and there are quite a few I've liked on it!

1) A novelty song to start, Eric Idle's voice introducing George 'Arrison, and it does indeed sound like the start to 'My Sweet Lord', before Idle starts singing about pirates. Ok, if a bit of a throwaway.

2) This is good, a nice bit of jangly guitar pop that is right up my alley; i'm a sucker for this kind of song and sound. The crazy little fuzzed-up solo sounds just a little out of place, but does nothing to make me dislike the song.

3) A bit more grungy here, with growling guitars running low in the mix through the whole tune, but still lots of jangly and poppy touches that are right up my street again. The solo is gentle and understated, lovely, and the female vocalist has a fine poppy voice that suits the song well.

4) This is one of my faves here - a lovely Beatlesque/Macca-type number that is full of melody and sweetly arranged. Like one of Emitt Rhodes' best. Look forward to the reveal.

5) A big '60s pop-rock production, with the full guitar sound and horns production. Brief but good.

6) Bow Wow Wow and 'Wild in the Country' here, and very nice to hear it again. The mix of sounds is very appealing and brings back happy memories.

7) Sounds very familiar but can't place this one yet. Has a lovely rollicking late-'60s vibe, harpsichord and shakers and big sing-song chorus and melancholy lyrics. Very nice.

8) A bit of hard rock/punk here, nice and crunchy even if it doesn't stand out too much.

9) Another that I really like. Rides the line between being a homage to '60s and '70s pop-rock and having a contemporary-enough feel just right. It has a really strong arrangement, strings and organ and all. It has that slightly airless production sound that you get from most contemporary pop, which is why I think it might be more recent, but the song's strengths help me to disregard this and just enjoy the tune.

10) A little Spanish spoken-word interlude.

11) A fab little slice of Beat/Garage rock - 2 minutes of fuzzed out guitars, pounding drums, and harmonized vocals. Right up my strasse.

12) This was Fugi doing 'Jo Jo', excellent funky psych-soul. Love this record, thanks for making me spin it and some Black Merda again this week too.

13) A song about Burke & Wills, of all things. :lol: I don't know this song, but the sound of it sure reminds of going to pubs and clubs in my uni days.

14) The Floyd, unmistakably, with 'Vegetable Man'. I love this period very much, and while it's not strictly top shelf for me it still sounds so great.

15) I know for sure this one is called 'Don't Call Me Dude', but for the life of me I can't remember the group's name. It was fun to hear this one again - it's not something I would ever really seek out by myself, but hearing it out of the blue I can enjoy its manic energy. Just not too often. :)

16) Grungy rock with psych touches with another nice female vocalist. Some great brain melting guitar feedback. Good.

17) A little novelty interlude again, with the Fabs wishing the kiddies a Merry Xmas...

18) ... leading into the group doing a little medley before fading out.

Thanks mixer, lots I really enjoyed here - merry xmas to you!
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 13 Dec 2017, 14:33

I forgot to thank my mixer for the bonus Christmas disc - it will get plenty of plays over the next few weeks - thanks again Nick.

Nick Danger

Postby Nick Danger » 13 Dec 2017, 15:44

Received an entertaining mix this cycle. I can guess at a couple but it really all new stuff for me.

(1) A soul/r & b tune with a great bass line. The voice sounds very familiar but I can't quite come up with who it is. Regardless he's a fine singer. Good start.
(2) This is probably my least favorite track on the mix but it's not bad. It is well executed and sets a mood.
(3) This must be Mortal Coil or the Twins since I think this is Liz Frasier. I'm new to the CT party but I'm fast becoming a big fan. This is beautiful.
(4) This has a distinctive Indian/Bollywood feel. Nice melody with interesting horns and strings. The singers are good especially the female lead.
(5) Dramatic layered production, not at all what I would usually listen to but it held my interest throughout. Really curious about what this is.
(6) This is a highlight. I only have a couple of Bjork's albums but I like her, truly a unique artist. I need to buy some more of her catalog. This song is great, lots of layered instrumentation, the percussion is especially good. Thanks for including this.
(7) Choir like vocals, not sure what language but I like this a lot. It sets a mood and is very soothing and pleasing. I could listen to an album of this.
(8) I'm guessing this is Kate Bush but maybe not. I don't have any of her music except for one boot from her tour a few years ago. Whoever it is this is good, interesting guitar and rhythm section. Good stuff.
(9) Electronica track with what sounds like a synthesized juice harp and vocals fed through some kind of special effect. I like this and I need to explore some more electronica. There is a great build going on here with layers of sounds and effects. Love the percussion. Good finish to the mix.

Good job mixer and thanks so much! Looking forward to the reveal.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 13 Dec 2017, 22:22

fange wrote:Been spinning this one a few times this week, and there are quite a few I've liked on it!

1) A novelty song to start, Eric Idle's voice introducing George 'Arrison, and it does indeed sound like the start to 'My Sweet Lord', before Idle starts singing about pirates. Ok, if a bit of a throwaway.

This was from some UK comedy program. I believe you can find it on Youtube. Source: 'Pirate Songs' cd (1995) bootleg.

2) This is good, a nice bit of jangly guitar pop that is right up my alley; i'm a sucker for this kind of song and sound. The crazy little fuzzed-up solo sounds just a little out of place, but does nothing to make me dislike the song.

The is Ze Malibu Kids, a "supergroup" featuring Jeff and Steven McDonald of Redd Kross and Anna Waronker of That Dog. The song is a greatly improved cover of a song originally by Cub. Source: 'Sound it Out' cd (2001)

3) A bit more grungy here, with growling guitars running low in the mix through the whole tune, but still lots of jangly and poppy touches that are right up my street again. The solo is gentle and understated, lovely, and the female vocalist has a fine poppy voice that suits the song well.

This is Velocity Girl, from a cd e.p. released in the mid-90's, though apparently the song was originally released as a single in 1990.

4) This is one of my faves here - a lovely Beatlesque/Macca-type number that is full of melody and sweetly arranged. Like one of Emitt Rhodes' best. Look forward to the reveal.

This is the opening track to the debut album by Peru's We All Together, whose "It's a Sin to Go Away" was featured on the 'Nuggets II' box set. Source: We All Together - s/t (1972, lp, 2013 cd reissue).

5) A big '60s pop-rock production, with the full guitar sound and horns production. Brief but good.

Paul Revere and the Raiders with the theme song to "Happening '68," a t.v. dance show they hosted. Source: 'Television's Greatest Hits: In Living Color' cd (1996).

6) Bow Wow Wow and 'Wild in the Country' here, and very nice to hear it again. The mix of sounds is very appealing and brings back happy memories.

Yep. Apparently a different mix from the one that appeared on the 'See Jungle!' album. Source: 'Go Wild: The Best of Bow Wow Wow' cd (1994).

7) Sounds very familiar but can't place this one yet. Has a lovely rollicking late-'60s vibe, harpsichord and shakers and big sing-song chorus and melancholy lyrics. Very nice.

This is none other than the Pretty Things, from the album 'Phillippe DeBarge' which they recorded with some French pal/patron performing most of the lead vocals. It was unreleased at the time of recording around '68 until finally officially released in 2009.

8) A bit of hard rock/punk here, nice and crunchy even if it doesn't stand out too much.

This is Blag Dahlia, from the 1995 compilation '500 Miles to Glory.'

9) Another that I really like. Rides the line between being a homage to '60s and '70s pop-rock and having a contemporary-enough feel just right. It has a really strong arrangement, strings and organ and all. It has that slightly airless production sound that you get from most contemporary pop, which is why I think it might be more recent, but the song's strengths help me to disregard this and just enjoy the tune.

The Moons, a 21st Century UK-based band. Worth looking into! Source: 'Mindwaves' cd (2014).

10) A little Spanish spoken-word interlude.

Radio jingle I got from the 'Los Nuggetz' (2013) compilation.

11) A fab little slice of Beat/Garage rock - 2 minutes of fuzzed out guitars, pounding drums, and harmonized vocals. Right up my strasse.

This is Thor's Hammer from Iceland, another band featured on the 'Nuggets II' comp. Source: 'From Keflavik with Love' cd compilation (2001).

12) This was Fugi doing 'Jo Jo', excellent funky psych-soul. Love this record, thanks for making me spin it and some Black Merda again this week too.

Yep.

13) A song about Burke & Wills, of all things. :lol: I don't know this song, but the sound of it sure reminds of going to pubs and clubs in my uni days.

This is the Barracudas, strangely enough. From their early 90's "comeback" album, 'Wait for Everything.'

14) The Floyd, unmistakably, with 'Vegetable Man'. I love this period very much, and while it's not strictly top shelf for me it still sounds so great.

Yes, finally officially released on last years 'The Early Years' box set. The opening dialog you hear on the recording is from a bootleg entitled 'Rhamadam: Syd Barrett and the Dawn of Pink Floyd.'

15) I know for sure this one is called 'Don't Call Me Dude', but for the life of me I can't remember the group's name. It was fun to hear this one again - it's not something I would ever really seek out by myself, but hearing it out of the blue I can enjoy its manic energy. Just not too often. :)

Scatterbrain, from their 1990 debut 'Here Comes Trouble.'

16) Grungy rock with psych touches with another nice female vocalist. Some great brain melting guitar feedback. Good.

This is Sixteen Deluxe, an Austin, Texas band, from their debut album 'BackfeedMagnetBabe' (1995).

17) A little novelty interlude again, with the Fabs wishing the kiddies a Merry Xmas...

18) ... leading into the group doing a little medley before fading out.

These are from the bootleg box set 'Artifacts II', released in 1994.

Thanks mixer, lots I really enjoyed here - merry xmas to you!

Tanx!

Track listing:

1. George Harrison - Pirate Song
2. Ze Malibu Kids - in Your Bed
3. Velocity Girl - I Don't Care if You Go
4. We All Together - Children
5. Paul Revere and the Raiders - Happening 68
6. Bow Wow Wow - Go Wild in the Country
7. Pretty Things - Send You with Loving
8. Blag Dahlia - Crucifixion is Now
9. The Moons - It's All in my Mind
10. Radio Capital Jingle
11. Thor's Hammer - Big Beat Country Dance
12. Fugi - Jo Jo
13. Barracudas - Burke and Wills
14. Pink Floyd -Vegetable Man
15. Scatterbrain - Don't Call me Dude
16. Sixteen Deluxe - Babyheadrush
17/18 - Beatles - interview and Krimble Medley
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 14 Dec 2017, 00:10

cheers!
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 16 Dec 2017, 16:20

Received an entertaining mix this cycle. I can guess at a couple but it really all new stuff for me.
Hey! Great! This was my disc!

(1) A soul/r & b tune with a great bass line. The voice sounds very familiar but I can't quite come up with who it is. Regardless he's a fine singer. Good start.
Indeed - Aaron Neville and 'Hercules'

(2) This is probably my least favorite track on the mix but it's not bad. It is well executed and sets a mood.
This is 'Love' by Air. I'm a bit obsessed with Air, really. I think I put them on every mix disc in the world.

(3) This must be Mortal Coil or the Twins since I think this is Liz Frasier. I'm new to the CT party but I'm fast becoming a big fan. This is beautiful.
I can see how you would think that but this is 'Er Ra" by Alice Coltrane from "The Ecstatic Music of Alice Coltrane" - you would love everything else if you like this!

(4) This has a distinctive Indian/Bollywood feel. Nice melody with interesting horns and strings. The singers are good especially the female lead.
This is "Chura Liya Hai Tum Me" by Asha Bhosle and Mohammed Rafi

(5) Dramatic layered production, not at all what I would usually listen to but it held my interest throughout. Really curious about what this is.
This is "Walkabout" by Atlas Sound [Bradford Cox etc]

(6) This is a highlight. I only have a couple of Bjork's albums but I like her, truly a unique artist. I need to buy some more of her catalog. This song is great, lots of layered instrumentation, the percussion is especially good. Thanks for including this.

Yep! "Hidden Place" from one of my favourite albums, "Vespertine"

(7) Choir like vocals, not sure what language but I like this a lot. It sets a mood and is very soothing and pleasing. I could listen to an album of this.

This is "Polegnala" by Bulgarian State Radio - and I agree. Its wonderful.

(8) I'm guessing this is Kate Bush but maybe not. I don't have any of her music except for one boot from her tour a few years ago. Whoever it is this is good, interesting guitar and rhythm section. Good stuff.
This isn't Kate Bush, but is a Cate -:D Cate Le Bon, and "Hollow Trees House Hounds"

(9) Electronica track with what sounds like a synthesized juice harp and vocals fed through some kind of special effect. I like this and I need to explore some more electronica. There is a great build going on here with layers of sounds and effects. Love the percussion. Good finish to the mix.

Chemical Brothers and "Surface to Air". Lots of people hated the album it came from, "Push The Button" but I absolutely loved it.

Good job mixer and thanks so much! Looking forward to the reveal.
Thanks! Now you have the reveal and a whole new world of musical possibilities has opened up to you! :D

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 24 Dec 2017, 01:20

Hey! I found it!

1. First song - dramatic swirling orchestra stuff - the vocal sounds EXACTLY like Kate Bush - I mean EXACTLY - so how do I not know it?? Lovely though!
2. Ey, a smashing bit of power pop! Vaguely Squeeze,vaguely summat else, really like it!
3. Ooh, I like this too. Sounds vaguely Michael Hutchence vocals though I don't think it is. Absolutely lovely guitars.
4. SIOUXSIE! Dazzle! sweet
5. Madonna of the Wasps! You have been reading my Hitchcock enthusiasm :lol:
6. Cocteaus :) beautiful - disc sounding great so far my friend
7. Hmm. some indie stuff that I absolutely cannot place- or even recognise the vocal. Nice enough though!
8. This sounds incredibly familiar vocal - something about a shogun bride? But I have no idea who it is. What is a shogun bride, anyway?
9. Ooh, slow indie chanteuse - gorgeous voice
10. Fucking hell, what a revelation. This is absolutely lovely. Sounds vaguely Pentangley. Can't wait to find out who this is. Lovely.
11. John Cale :D Fabulous
12. This is Richard Lloyd isn't it? I don't know what album it's from, I have never had it - nice though
13. Hmmm..sound like a Cocteau Twins track when it starts but it certainly isn't. It's rather depressing. Maybe my least favourite so far.
14. Can't place this one either and it's ever so slightly plodding a bit much for my liking despite the interesting geeetars towards the end - not bad tho
15. Roy Harper, and absolutely gorgeous too

Ey, sender! I loved this disc with the exception of 13 and 14 and I can't wait to find out what 10 is. Sorry to have taken so long, I found the disc under my bank statements. I mean wtf?
Thanks so much
x

Dr Markus wrote:

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 26 Dec 2017, 16:23

Minnie the Minx wrote:Hey! I found it!

Glad you found it and enjoyed at least most of it, it was fun to put it together.

1. First song - dramatic swirling orchestra stuff - the vocal sounds EXACTLY like Kate Bush - I mean EXACTLY - so how do I not know it?? Lovely though!

Yep, its a bit of a Kate rarity, singing the title track to the Terry Gilliam movie Brazil, unused in the movie but on the soundtrack album I believe.

2. Ey, a smashing bit of power pop! Vaguely Squeeze,vaguely summat else, really like it!

The very " Beatley" and indeed "Squeezey" Cotton Mather - from the Hotel Baltimore EP.

3. Ooh, I like this too. Sounds vaguely Michael Hutchence vocals though I don't think it is. Absolutely lovely guitars.

Must be the Australian accent, this is Australian band the Church and Under The Milky Way

4. SIOUXSIE! Dazzle! sweet

Indeed, a personal fave from Siouxsie.

5. Madonna of the Wasps! You have been reading my Hitchcock enthusiasm :lol:

Yep, one of my many fave Hitchcock tracks

6. Cocteaus :) beautiful - disc sounding great so far my friend

The acoustic version of Golden Vein, sounds almost like Opera to me, her voice is a marvel innit ?

7. Hmm. some indie stuff that I absolutely cannot place- or even recognise the vocal. Nice enough though!

We Share The Same Skies from the Cribs with Johhny Marr helping out on guitar

8. This sounds incredibly familiar vocal - something about a shogun bride? But I have no idea who it is. What is a shogun bride, anyway?

Luke Haines and The Auteurs from the 1993 New Wave album and Show Girl.

9. Ooh, slow indie chanteuse - gorgeous voice

Somebody Hurt You - A Girl Called Eddy from her wonderful album "A Girl Called Eddy", I wish she would release another record.

10. Fucking hell, what a revelation. This is absolutely lovely. Sounds vaguely Pentangley. Can't wait to find out who this is. Lovely.

This is John and Beverly Martyn from one of the two albums they put out together Stormbringer. If you like this Road to Ruin is the other album they put out, and of course there are a lot of John Martyn albums to check out "Solid Air" etc

11. John Cale :D Fabulous

Right , John Cale and the wonderful Buffalo Ballet from the Fear album

12. This is Richard Lloyd isn't it? I don't know what album it's from, I have never had it - nice though

This is indeed the unsung hero of Television Richard Lloyd and Blue and Grey from his first solo album Alchemy

13. Hmmm..sound like a Cocteau Twins track when it starts but it certainly isn't. It's rather depressing. Maybe my least favourite so far.

This is the Autumns and Pale Trembles A Gale

14. Can't place this one either and it's ever so slightly plodding a bit much for my liking despite the interesting geeetars towards the end - not bad tho

The band that nobody seems to love shoe gazers The Pale Saints from the 1992 In Ribbons album

15. Roy Harper, and absolutely gorgeous too

And you can't beat a big of Roy , from the Valentine album

Ey, sender! I loved this disc with the exception of 13 and 14 and I can't wait to find out what 10 is. Sorry to have taken so long, I found the disc under my bank statements. I mean wtf?
Thanks so much
x

Glad you enjoyed it and Merry Christmas/Happy New Year

Brazil Kate Bush
Lost My Motto [Millennium Chrome Version] Cotton Mather
Under The Milky Way The Church
Dazzle Siouxsie & The Banshees
Madonna of the Wasps Robyn Hitchcock & The Egyptians
Golden-Vein (Acoustic Version) Cocteau Twins
We Share the Same Skies The Cribs
Show Girl The Auteurs
Somebody Hurt You A Girl Called Eddy
Traffic-Light Lady John Martyn & Beverley Martyn
Buffalo Ballet John Cale
Blue and Grey Richard Lloyd
Pale Trembles a Gale The Autumns
A Thousand Stars Burst Open Pale Saints
I'll See You Again Roy Harper

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 30 Dec 2017, 12:01

Disc from Fange, with apologies for delay.

1. Love it. Byrdsy touches all over this terrific start,
2. Cracking bit of soul with a New Orleans feel
3. I love pretty much all of that jump jive/blues shouters / old style R & B stuff. Throw in a honking sax and I’m sold.
4. Nothing to dislike here but could have done with borrowing the production from track 1. All a bit heavy handed
5. Weird other worldly intro gives way to a kind of doo wop with added soul. The kind of thing the 5 Royales did so well.
6. Soul of a sort but all a bit underplayed for me. Never takes off and ultimately a bit underwhelming. OK though.
7. Sure I own this. It certainly sounds familiar. 60s sounding pop psych
8. Bluesy feel and certainly nothing I haven’t heard before but doesn’t put a foot wrong and some great harp.
9. Carl Perkins Put Your Cat Clothes On - Terrific
10. A lot of 60s styles at play. OK
11. Can’t go wrong with classic soul. High energy, slight rasp to the voice. Wilson Pickett-ish
12. Sort of not quite soul, Good in parts but needs to submit more to its own soulfulness and let go of its rockishness. All sounds a bit “Lenny Kravitz”
13. Although not sounding particularly similar, this kept reminding me of Stuck In The Middle With You. It has that same kind of shuffling pop feel. A real grower.
14. A perfectly fine piece of soul (trying not to damn with faint praise) but this really lifted up a notch when the vocals hit the full high notes and the guitar kicked in. Ended up like one of these Tempts psych soul workouts. Eddie Kendricks ?

Thanks Ange, nothing I disliked and only a couple or so that were only so so, and the highs were suitably high.
We're way past rhubarb

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 31 Dec 2017, 01:13

Great, glad it mostly hit the spot, Paul!

"I Can't Lose With The Stuff I Use" Tracklist

1. Orange Humble Band - Down In Your Dreams
2. Irma Harris - Hittin' On Nothing
3. Lester Williams - I Can't Lose With The Stuff I Use
4. The Hot Dogs - Let Me Look At The Sun
5. The Four Dukes - Annie
6. Nolan Porter - If I Could Only Be Sure
7. Spirit - Dream Within A Dream
8. Little Johnny Taylor - Somewhere Down The Line
9. Carl Perkins - Put Your Cat Clothes On
10. Cargoe - Feel Alright
11. Little Richard - I Don't Want To Discuss It
12. King Khan & The Shrines - Thorn In Her Pride
13. Emitt Rhodes - Really Wanted You
14. Eddie Kendricks - Girl You Need A Change Of Mind

Have a great 2018! Thanks for all your Mix Club efforts.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 31 Dec 2017, 02:06

Cheers Ange. Yes I do have the Spirit and the other one I own and failed to spot was the Emmitt Rhodes.

Orange Humble Band have been on my mental list of things to get for some while. Put off before by the fact that Assorted Creams went for such inflated prices, so sort of forgot about them. Anyway thanks to your timely reminder, just forked out best part of £50 for that from Amazon US. Funnily enough I did in the meantime fork out an inflated price for the complete Someloves anthology.
We're way past rhubarb

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 02 Jan 2018, 00:45

Nice! Trying to find any of Dom Mariani's solo or band stuff with the Someloves or DM3 is becoming ridiculously hard and expensive. Just crazy.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 05 Jan 2018, 17:09

fange wrote:Nice! Trying to find any of Dom Mariani's solo or band stuff with the Someloves or DM3 is becoming ridiculously hard and expensive. Just crazy.

I got a DM3 compilation recently. And the 45 rpm vinyl new single.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 06 Jan 2018, 01:53

pcqgod wrote:I got a DM3 compilation recently. And the 45 rpm vinyl new single.

Oh yeah? Which ones, pcqgod?
Jonny Spencer wrote:

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 06 Jan 2018, 02:11

fange wrote:
pcqgod wrote:I got a DM3 compilation recently. And the 45 rpm vinyl new single.

Oh yeah? Which ones, pcqgod?

The compilation is 'West of Anywhere,' which I believe covers three long player releases. The single is "Monsters" which I first heard on the "Little Steven's Underground Garage" Sirius station, and inspired me to seek out the compilation.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 06 Jan 2018, 02:23

WoA is a cracking comp., good choice. What did you have to fork out for it, if i can ask?
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Return to “Mix Club”