May Reviews

Exchange mix CDs with each other.
Mike Boom

May Reviews

Postby Mike Boom » 13 Jun 2017, 00:54

Track 1 - It took me a few listens to work out that MUSICALLY this was a very cool track but the lyrics and the singing made it sound like bad Rainbow or Tull. The organ is very nice.

Track 2 - Good Tull - I like the sax and its musically very interesting, not as fluent musically but a pretty good imitation tho. Reminds me of Peter Hammill and Van Der Graaf Generator

Track 3 - Nice hammond organ solo and a pretty lively jam to boot. I like this.

Track 4 -This is very good, the vocals are nice, its almost a little like Focus.
Really love this track the electric guitar part is great. Extremely interested to know who this is.

Track 5 - Nice electric guitar, kinda like this , the vocals are kinda spoiling it a little, tho they verge on being kinda great, they just need to dial back the histrionics a notch. Almost fantastic

Track 6 Wow this is a blast from the past, Uriah Heep, The Wizards Birthday, one of the first albums I ever brought, with the Roger Dean cover, I used to love that album and played it to death, Sweet Lorraine, also we would play Demons and Wizards over and over , Easy Livin of course, and also the album after The Wizards Birthday , Sweet Freedom and Stealin . Great stuff.

Track 7 This I quite like, very nice guitar

Track 8 This is kinda crazy, like Tom Waits fronting Black Sabbath with the Blood Sweat and Tears horn section.

Track 9 This I like very much, its pretty great really, I like how the band really stretches out, and great rhythmic guitar

Track 10 I kinda like this, some nice vocal harmonies and the song takes some real twists and turns. Again some guitar work.

Track 11 - I really really like this, very nice keyboards , strings and vocals and a nice rolling melody.

Great mix of kinda proggish type tunes, something, I actually don’t really listen to often these days , so it was great to hear something different, all of which was new to me apart from the Uriah Heep, and some of which I loved and am very interested to know who a lot of the bands are.
Ta Very Much , Cheers !

Nick Danger

Re: May Reviews

Postby Nick Danger » 14 Jun 2017, 14:34

Twenty cuts of a musical smorgasbord has arrived and I'm enjoying it. I can only confidently identify one artist so there is a lot here for me to investigate further.

1. I am greeted with Hello amigo and a quick runthrough of the Chiquita banana song. Carmen Miranda? She reminds me not to put my bananas in the refrigerator and says they are good in salads which I disagree with. It is two songs in one as it seques into a Batman style guitar and a Ventures/Shadows type thing. I recognize the tune but the name escapes me. Interesting start.
2. New wavish, slightly electronic with a nice guitar and driving beat. I like.
3. One of my musical loves - girl groups. It's well executed with a tasteful guitar. Pretty good.
4. Punkish and fun, I like the lyrics and driving beat. Very appealing
5. A call and response with the guitar and drums. It's just ok, doesn't really go anywhere musically but the lyrics are interesting. The guitar solo kinda saves it musically.
6. This is the first of several covers I recognize but I have no clue who the artist is. It's the Doors People Are Strange with a faster tempo and a Zydeco feel to it. Short and entertaining, I like this.
7. Dirty muddy guitar, layered and fuzzy. Sounds retro, the vocals are nice. Another short one.
8. Lennonist vocals, nice guitar, nothing exceptional but pretty enjoyable.
9. This is the only cut that I know well and can identify the artist. It's Skeeter Davis with a vocal rendering of the Chet Atkins penned Last Date. She is remembered as a one hit wonder but she had several gems like this in her catalog. It's nice to hear again. Good choice.
10. Another cover, Santana's Ovy Como Va. I like the flute, the barrio chorus, and the horns. An interesting arrangement.
11. Another girl group effort. Sounds retro and modern. I like this a lot.
12. This sounds vintage, nicely played but it's comes across as just ok but not bad.
13. This hits my production bias with buried vocals, etc. I'm not liking this as much.
14. This is interesting, simple lyrics, almost an instrumental. Appealing call and response between the guitar and bass. I like the drums too. It proved to be a grower, pretty infectious.
15. I think I've heard this before but can't come up with who it is. 60's I think, short an snappy.
16. Another interesting cover, the Yardbirds Heart Full Of Soul. It has an interesting female lead vocal. Well done, very appealing.
17. Sounds British, uptempo and vintage. It's ok but not a favorite. That probably has more to do with the overall quality of the mix and the context I'm hearing it in.
18. Kinda psychedelic, the drums and guitar carry it. The vocals are a little buried for my taste but it's not bad at all. Another grower.
19. I would guess this is from the 80's, synthesized instruments, not what I would normally listen to but definitely interesting.
20. A bookend of the first cut with a commercial ditty/jingle. A vintage ad about a camera. I think I've heard this before but it was long ago. It gives the mix a nice symmetry.

Thanks to my mixer for a very entertaining mix. I'm very curious to see the reveal and will no doubt be investigating some things further.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 14 Jun 2017, 21:50

Mike Boom wrote:Track 1 - It took me a few listens to work out that MUSICALLY this was a very cool track but the lyrics and the singing made it sound like bad Rainbow or Tull. The organ is very nice.

Track 2 - Good Tull - I like the sax and its musically very interesting, not as fluent musically but a pretty good imitation tho. Reminds me of Peter Hammill and Van Der Graaf Generator

Track 3 - Nice hammond organ solo and a pretty lively jam to boot. I like this.

Track 4 -This is very good, the vocals are nice, its almost a little like Focus.
Really love this track the electric guitar part is great. Extremely interested to know who this is.

Track 5 - Nice electric guitar, kinda like this , the vocals are kinda spoiling it a little, tho they verge on being kinda great, they just need to dial back the histrionics a notch. Almost fantastic

Track 6 Wow this is a blast from the past, Uriah Heep, The Wizards Birthday, one of the first albums I ever brought, with the Roger Dean cover, I used to love that album and played it to death, Sweet Lorraine, also we would play Demons and Wizards over and over , Easy Livin of course, and also the album after The Wizards Birthday , Sweet Freedom and Stealin . Great stuff.

Track 7 This I quite like, very nice guitar

Track 8 This is kinda crazy, like Tom Waits fronting Black Sabbath with the Blood Sweat and Tears horn section.

Track 9 This I like very much, its pretty great really, I like how the band really stretches out, and great rhythmic guitar

Track 10 I kinda like this, some nice vocal harmonies and the song takes some real twists and turns. Again some guitar work.

Track 11 - I really really like this, very nice keyboards , strings and vocals and a nice rolling melody.

Great mix of kinda proggish type tunes, something, I actually don’t really listen to often these days , so it was great to hear something different, all of which was new to me apart from the Uriah Heep, and some of which I loved and am very interested to know who a lot of the bands are.
Ta Very Much , Cheers !

I had the impression you knew your way around the big Prog acts so I decided to make this mix a
“2nd and 3rd division Prog from the early 70’s”.
Most of these never evolved further than one or two albums and never hit the big time. They were usually on the progressive labels of the time, Island, Vertigo, Harvest, etc.

01. This band is called Still Life and only made one album. Organ driven and ‘Heep’ and ‘Purple’ spring to mind.
02. These guys had the good fortune of making two albums. They’re called Raw Material and their sound is indeed often compared to Van Der Graaf Generator.
03. Clouds even made three albums for Island Records. Scottish organ led trio.
04. If this reminds you of Focus (from Holland) this is German Prog. Called Epitaph and their label had more patience than the English because they were allowed to make several albums.
05. More Kraut Prog by the band Janus. Recorded the album Gravedigger for Harvest but then it gets tricky. Either they’re still recording or there is another –newer- German band by that name.
06. OK, this is not Uriah Heep. In fact it’s from their keyboard man Ken Hensley’s first solo album Proud Words on a Dusty Shelf. Heep themselves also recorded the song in question.
07. Another two album band, Greatest Show On Earth. Had a hit single with Real Cool World (I used that one for an earlier mix).
08. Around the time Chicago and Blood, Sweat & Tears came on the scene this British band called Heaven made their sole album. Brass Prog.
09. Third German band on this mix Kin Ping Meh and like no.4 made several albums.
10. This is Prog from France and they’re called Thai Phong. Mainman JJ Goldman later became a French pop star.
11. And we’re back in England with Spring. Their only album.
There are of course many more little or unknown bands like these and we haven’t even talked about Progressive. Just Prog.

01. Still Life – People in black
02. Raw Material – Ice queen
03. Clouds – The carpenter
04. Epitaph – Hopelessley
05. Janus – Bubbles
06. Ken Hensley – Rain
07. Greatest show on earth – Sunflower morning
08. Heaven – Thins I should’ve been
09. Kin Ping Meh – Fairy tales
10. Tai Phong – Goin’ away
11. Spring – The prisoner
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 16 Jun 2017, 21:27

Nick Danger wrote:Twenty cuts of a musical smorgasbord has arrived and I'm enjoying it. I can only confidently identify one artist so there is a lot here for me to investigate further.

1. I am greeted with Hello amigo and a quick runthrough of the Chiquita banana song. Carmen Miranda? She reminds me not to put my bananas in the refrigerator and says they are good in salads which I disagree with. It is two songs in one as it seques into a Batman style guitar and a Ventures/Shadows type thing. I recognize the tune but the name escapes me. Interesting start.
2. New wavish, slightly electronic with a nice guitar and driving beat. I like.
3. One of my musical loves - girl groups. It's well executed with a tasteful guitar. Pretty good.
4. Punkish and fun, I like the lyrics and driving beat. Very appealing
5. A call and response with the guitar and drums. It's just ok, doesn't really go anywhere musically but the lyrics are interesting. The guitar solo kinda saves it musically.
6. This is the first of several covers I recognize but I have no clue who the artist is. It's the Doors People Are Strange with a faster tempo and a Zydeco feel to it. Short and entertaining, I like this.
7. Dirty muddy guitar, layered and fuzzy. Sounds retro, the vocals are nice. Another short one.
8. Lennonist vocals, nice guitar, nothing exceptional but pretty enjoyable.
9. This is the only cut that I know well and can identify the artist. It's Skeeter Davis with a vocal rendering of the Chet Atkins penned Last Date. She is remembered as a one hit wonder but she had several gems like this in her catalog. It's nice to hear again. Good choice.
10. Another cover, Santana's Ovy Como Va. I like the flute, the barrio chorus, and the horns. An interesting arrangement.
11. Another girl group effort. Sounds retro and modern. I like this a lot.
12. This sounds vintage, nicely played but it's comes across as just ok but not bad.
13. This hits my production bias with buried vocals, etc. I'm not liking this as much.
14. This is interesting, simple lyrics, almost an instrumental. Appealing call and response between the guitar and bass. I like the drums too. It proved to be a grower, pretty infectious.
15. I think I've heard this before but can't come up with who it is. 60's I think, short an snappy.
16. Another interesting cover, the Yardbirds Heart Full Of Soul. It has an interesting female lead vocal. Well done, very appealing.
17. Sounds British, uptempo and vintage. It's ok but not a favorite. That probably has more to do with the overall quality of the mix and the context I'm hearing it in.
18. Kinda psychedelic, the drums and guitar carry it. The vocals are a little buried for my taste but it's not bad at all. Another grower.
19. I would guess this is from the 80's, synthesized instruments, not what I would normally listen to but definitely interesting.
20. A bookend of the first cut with a commercial ditty/jingle. A vintage ad about a camera. I think I've heard this before but it was long ago. It gives the mix a nice symmetry.

Thanks to my mixer for a very entertaining mix. I'm very curious to see the reveal and will no doubt be investigating some things further.

Intro is “I’m a Chiquita Banana” commercial. Source TeeVee Toons: The Commercials, cd, 1989.

Segues into “Barracuda Waver” by The Barracudas, originally a B-side from 1980. Source The Complete EMI Recordings compilation cd, 1993.

Track 2 is “Ringing Tone” by Scottish New Wave band Fingerprintz. Source Distinguishing Marks, lp, 1980.

Track 3 is “The Real World” by The Bangles, originally released in 1982 on their self-titled e.p. Source Ladies and Gentlemen…The Bangles! compilation cd, 2016.

Track 4 is “She’s Looking at You” by The Leaving Trains. Source Kill Tunes, cd, 1986.

Track 5 is “Everything is Over” by Ngozi Family, prominent band in the Zambian “Zamrock” scene. Source 45,000 Volts original lp 1977, cd reissue 2009.

Track 6 is “People are Strange” by Texas’ favorite party polka band, Brave Combo. Source Musical Varieties compilation cd, 1987.

Track 7 is “Across My Shoulder” by The Primitives. Source Lazy 86-88 compilation cd, 1989.

Track 8 is “All These Years” by Lazy Smoke, a (sadly unknown) Massachusetts-based psychedelic band. Source Corridor of Faces original lp 1968, cd reissue 1997.

Track 9 is “Last Date with You” by Skeeter Davis, as you knew.

Track 10 is the original version of “Oye Como Va” by Tito Puente. Source El Rey Bravo original lp 1962, cd reissue 2013.

Track 11 is “He’s Not a Boy” by The Like, an all-female band based in L.A. Source Release Me cd, 2010.

Track 12 is a live version of “Slightly Drunk” by Squeeze recorded in 1980, originally released on their ‘Cool for Cats’ album. Source Argy Bargy deluxe edition, 2008.

Track 13 is “Navigating Flood Regions” by Guided by Voices. Source Self-Inflicted Aerial Nostalgia original lp 1989, cd reissue 1995.

Track 14 is “Living in the Ghetto” by heavy funkers Purple Image from Cleveland, OH. Source Purple Image original lp 1970, cd reissue 2004.

Track 15 is “Lose Your Money” by The Moody Blues, originally released on an e.p. in 1964. Source Memory Laine, a Denny Laine bootleg compilation, year unknown.

Track 16 is a live cover of “Heart Full of Soul” by Blondie. Source The Old Waldorf 9/21/77: Early and Late Shows, cd 2015.

Track 17 is “Prisoners” by The Vapors. Source New Clear Days original album 1980, deluxe cd reissue, 2000.

Track 18 is “TTT” by Buzzcocks. Source Trade Test Transmissions cd, 1993.

Track 19 is “Underground” by the (sadly unknown) West Coast-based neo-psychedelic group A Western Front, active in the 80’s and 90’s. Source Off to the Angels viyl e.p., 1984.

Track 20 is “Polaroid Swinger” commercial. Source TeeVee Toons: The Commercials, cd, 1989.

Thanks for listening and reviewing. Glad you dug it.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 16 Jun 2017, 22:24

Wow! pcq, a bloody nice mix!
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 17 Jun 2017, 02:29

Walk In My Shadow wrote:Wow! pcq, a bloody nice mix!

Danke.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 18 Jun 2017, 00:33

My review:

Track one is a nice upbeat pop song with a light funk beat, featuring some great sounding wah wah guitar. The female vocalist really shines on the chorus. Reminds me of Shellyan Orphan a bit.

Track two is a pop/rock thing that verges on shoegaze. Some distorted guitar but not a heavy track. Maybe goes on a bit too long, but it’s a pleasant groove. No guess as to who this is.

Track three is a similar shoegaze thing with vocals kind of buried in the mix. It’s okay, but not as strong as the previous track. Lots of tambourine in the mix!

Track four is a 50’s/60’s soul number. The lyrics play on the fact that it features a “stroll” beat. Pretty good.

Track five is a mellowish pop song with some pretty male/female harmonies, and some delicate, slightly off-the-beat lead guitar at the end. This one sounds like the work of Lindsay Buckingham to me.

Track six is a post-Pet Sounds Beach Boys track that seems familiar, but I don’t know the title.

Track seven is an acoustic-based Teenage Fanclub track, the title of which I don’t recall.

Track seven has a kind of 70’s soul groove and a smooth (I believe) female vocal. Definitely a great track.

Track eight is the Merry-Go-Round’s “Time Will Show the Wiser” by Fairport Convention, which I used in one of my Cup lists three or four years ago. Excellent track!

Track nine has a bit of a 70’s yacht rock vibe, kind of a catchy melody and some great George Harrison-esque slide guitar.

Track ten is a clever rearrangement of “Summer Nights” accenting the weird Eastern scales the song is built on, and featuring a lead vocal through a warbling Leslie speaker. I have to say that this song epitomizes a musical period for which I feel equal parts nostalgia and antipathy, and this song doesn’t fall on the positive side of that scale and is a nagging earworm to boot. So after hearing this song for the first time in maybe 30 years on the “Guardians of the Galaxy 2” soundtrack and now this mix, it required several days of listening to “Take a Chance on Me” repeatedly to get it out of my head.

Track eleven is a minimalist, soft track featuring some nice, blended female vocals. Sounds a bit Fleetwood Mac-ish to me.

Overall, an entertaining mix of music that I generally wouldn’t seek out, and that will have me seeking out more music by several of these artists. Thanks.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 18 Jun 2017, 19:32

Disc this month from Nick Danger and very enjoyable it was too. Thanks also for the great bonus Gene Pitney disc. I've actually taken the plunge with some of the twofers, spurred on by the track 24 Sycamore which was in the list that beat me in the cup. It seems that was enough to win your vote :evil: Anyway this served as amtimeley reminder I need to pick up that buying thread, shameless completist that I am. So back to the business in hand....

1) Great start. Country tinged bright and breezy song Moves along at a good pace.
2) The sort of thing you think you’ve heard a thousand times before but it really doesn’t matter. The song is like countless other hi tempo R&R/rockabilly workouts but what the hell, it’s great
3) Trying to decide if this is Glen Campbell. Definite similarities but even if it isn’t I love it just as I love Glen Campbell
4) I also love Randy Newman, though he does seem to divide people on BCB
5) Another countryish one and one where I think I should know the voice. File under nothing exceptional but what the hell I could listen to this stuff all day long.
6) Terrific bit of soul with full on funk treatment. Keep thinking this is Joe Tex as the horn riff sounds just like Show Me.
7) You are only just too late to turn me on to John Moreland. Not sure how I came across this , but glad I did. How great is this guy ? This is simply sublime
8) This has to be Roy Orbison right ? Struck me here how the song is quite ordinary and yet coupled with that voice…
9) A more modern tale on Blues which Fat Possum aside can sometimes sound a bit too clean and “tasteful” for my tastes, although this Ihave to say is full on enough to get the seal of approval
10) Good old Nes. Can’t go wrong with this.
11) The one (very minor) downside to this mix is that this seems a bit out of place and disrupts the flow a bit. Not that I didn’t like it. Female led punk, sounds CBGBs era reminiscent of first Blondie album.
12) Gospel/Roots/Blues concoction, again not something I feel I haven’t heard before but pretty good all the same.
13) Guitar instrumental that covers all the bases. Starts off with menace somewhere between Link Wray’s Rumble and the intro to Riders On The Storm before opening up into a full on twangfest.
14) I love me some jump jive and this is right at the top of the tree. Sounds like one of the guys who really know how to put the swing in the mix. Tiny Bradshaw, Bull Moose Jackson etc
15) The second guitar instrumental of the mix. This is just mad as hell and I love it. Like Hendrix playing an acid rock version of Peter Gunn on speed.
16) … and what better comedown after all that frenzy than some classic John Prine

Thanks again. Top mixing.
We're way past rhubarb

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 18 Jun 2017, 21:17

pcqgod wrote:My review:

Track one is a nice upbeat pop song with a light funk beat, featuring some great sounding wah wah guitar. The female vocalist really shines on the chorus. Reminds me of Shellyan Orphan a bit.

Track two is a pop/rock thing that verges on shoegaze. Some distorted guitar but not a heavy track. Maybe goes on a bit too long, but it’s a pleasant groove. No guess as to who this is.

Track three is a similar shoegaze thing with vocals kind of buried in the mix. It’s okay, but not as strong as the previous track. Lots of tambourine in the mix!

Track four is a 50’s/60’s soul number. The lyrics play on the fact that it features a “stroll” beat. Pretty good.

Track five is a mellowish pop song with some pretty male/female harmonies, and some delicate, slightly off-the-beat lead guitar at the end. This one sounds like the work of Lindsay Buckingham to me.

Track six is a post-Pet Sounds Beach Boys track that seems familiar, but I don’t know the title.

Track seven is an acoustic-based Teenage Fanclub track, the title of which I don’t recall.

Track seven has a kind of 70’s soul groove and a smooth (I believe) female vocal. Definitely a great track.

Track eight is the Merry-Go-Round’s “Time Will Show the Wiser” by Fairport Convention, which I used in one of my Cup lists three or four years ago. Excellent track!

Track nine has a bit of a 70’s yacht rock vibe, kind of a catchy melody and some great George Harrison-esque slide guitar.

Track ten is a clever rearrangement of “Summer Nights” accenting the weird Eastern scales the song is built on, and featuring a lead vocal through a warbling Leslie speaker. I have to say that this song epitomizes a musical period for which I feel equal parts nostalgia and antipathy, and this song doesn’t fall on the positive side of that scale and is a nagging earworm to boot. So after hearing this song for the first time in maybe 30 years on the “Guardians of the Galaxy 2” soundtrack and now this mix, it required several days of listening to “Take a Chance on Me” repeatedly to get it out of my head.

Track eleven is a minimalist, soft track featuring some nice, blended female vocals. Sounds a bit Fleetwood Mac-ish to me.

Overall, an entertaining mix of music that I generally wouldn’t seek out, and that will have me seeking out more music by several of these artists. Thanks.

A couple of different themes were going on with this mix. One was coming from enjoying the seventies soft rock hits from the Guardians of the Galaxy 2 soundtrack coupled with a Summertime theme and a general feel good mellow summer vibe thang.

1. The Sundays from the album and the single “Summertime” from the album Static and Silence from 1997
2. David Kilgour is the man behind Flying Nun faves the Clean and Uplift is from his first solo album “Here Come the Cars” from 1991
3. Ride and their version of fellow shoe gazers The Pale Saints "The Sight Of You"
4. “its been a long time since I did the Stroll” so here it is “The Stroll” by the Diamonds
5. “I’ll Tell You Now” from Buckinghams first solo album “Law and Order”
6. “Time To Get Alone” It wouldn’t be summer without the Beach Boys so from 20/20 originally written for Three Dog Night
7. The Fannies from Songs from Northern Britain
8. Jackie Blue from the Ozark Mountain Daredevils 1975 sung actually by the Drummer Larry Lee
9. Yep, Fairport Convention and "Time Will Show The Wiser" from their first album
10. from the Guardians 2 soundtrack Silver and Wham Bam Shang A Lang which was the 80th biggest hit of 1976
11. Allen Toussaint and the original version of Glen Campbells “Southern Nights” from his 1975 concept album of the same name.(Glen Campbells version is on the Guardians 2 soundtrack also)
12. Fleetwood Macs version of the Beach Boys “Farmers Daughter” from the double Fleetwood Mac live album

Summertime - The Sundays
Uplift - David Kilgour
The Sight Of You - Ride
The Stroll - The Diamonds
I’ll Tell You Now - Lindsey Buckingham
Time To Get Alone - The Beach Boys
Your Love Is The Place Where I Come From - Teenage Fanclub
Jackie Blue - Ozark Mountain Daredevils
Time Will Show The Wiser - Fairport Convention
Wham Bam Shang A Lang - Silver
Southern Nights - Allen Toussaint
The Farmers Daughter - Fleetwood Mac

hope you enjoyed it.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 18 Jun 2017, 21:19

01. Still Life – People in black
02. Raw Material – Ice queen
03. Clouds – The carpenter
04. Epitaph – Hopelessley
05. Janus – Bubbles
06. Ken Hensley – Rain
07. Greatest show on earth – Sunflower morning
08. Heaven – Thins I should’ve been
09. Kin Ping Meh – Fairy tales
10. Tai Phong – Goin’ away
11. Spring – The prisoner

Thanks for this , enjoyed listening to this a lot , interesting stuff.

Nick Danger

Postby Nick Danger » 19 Jun 2017, 14:26

Disc this month from Nick Danger and very enjoyable it was too. Thanks also for the great bonus Gene Pitney disc. I've actually taken the plunge with some of the twofers, spurred on by the track 24 Sycamore which was in the list that beat me in the cup. It seems that was enough to win your vote :evil: Anyway this served as amtimeley reminder I need to pick up that buying thread, shameless completist that I am. So back to the business in hand....

1) Great start. Country tinged bright and breezy song Moves along at a good pace.

This is the Philadelphia based roots duo Hoots and Hellmouth. It's a real rarity for me, using a track from the 21st century.

2) The sort of thing you think you’ve heard a thousand times before but it really doesn’t matter. The song is like countless other hi tempo R&R/rockabilly workouts but what the hell, it’s great

This is Black Cadillac by Joyce Green. This song and the b side represent her entire recording output but I think it's great.

3) Trying to decide if this is Glen Campbell. Definite similarities but even if it isn’t I love it just as I love Glen Campbell

My favorite single by country music stalwart George Strait, Amarillo By Morning.

4) I also love Randy Newman, though he does seem to divide people on BCB

A live boot of Randy doing the song Birmingham.

5) Another countryish one and one where I think I should know the voice. File under nothing exceptional but what the hell I could listen to this stuff all day long.

Not well remembered but he had a decent number of U.S. country hits, Billy "Crash" Craddock with I Cheated On A Good Woman's Love. Cheatin' songs are a U.S. country staple.

6) Terrific bit of soul with full on funk treatment. Keep thinking this is Joe Tex as the horn riff sounds just like Show Me.

Lee Dorsey from one of his mid 70's albums. It's Toussaint penned and produced and the band is the Meters.

7) You are only just too late to turn me on to John Moreland. Not sure how I came across this , but glad I did. How great is this guy ? This is simply sublime

This is the only song I've heard by him, found it on a comp. Sublimity does describe it well.

8) This has to be Roy Orbison right ? Struck me here how the song is quite ordinary and yet coupled with that voice…

Yep, probably my favorite deep Roy cut I've heard. You're right, there's not much song here but he sings it so beautifully.

9) A more modern tale on Blues which Fat Possum aside can sometimes sound a bit too clean and “tasteful” for my tastes, although this Ihave to say is full on enough to get the seal of approval

80's blues - Lucky Peterson with Remember The Day.

10) Good old Nes. Can’t go wrong with this.

Nesmith with a song off my favorite album of his, Pretty Much Your Standard Ranch Stash.

11) The one (very minor) downside to this mix is that this seems a bit out of place and disrupts the flow a bit. Not that I didn’t like it. Female led punk, sounds CBGBs era reminiscent of first Blondie album.

The group is called the Stool Pigeons. This is from their one and only album called Rule Hermania which consists solely of covers of Herman's Hermits songs.

12) Gospel/Roots/Blues concoction, again not something I feel I haven’t heard before but pretty good all the same.

Al Kooper with a live version of a song from one of his early groups The Blues Project.

13) Guitar instrumental that covers all the bases. Starts off with menace somewhere between Link Wray’s Rumble and the intro to Riders On The Storm before opening up into a full on twangfest.

Pipeline by the Chantays. This was a 60's hit in the U.S. and gets lumped in with surf music because of the title. I've always loved it. Well executed with a great arrangement.

14) I love me some jump jive and this is right at the top of the tree. Sounds like one of the guys who really know how to put the swing in the mix. Tiny Bradshaw, Bull Moose Jackson etc

An excellent band from the 50's Hank Ballard and the Midnighters.

15) The second guitar instrumental of the mix. This is just mad as hell and I love it. Like Hendrix playing an acid rock version of Peter Gunn on speed.

This is the underrated and forgotten guitar virtuoso Roy Buchanan from sometime in the 70's. It is the theme from the tv show Peter Gunn but the contrast between this and the version used on the show is pretty stark. That was done by Henry Mancini with strings and horns, etc.

16) … and what better comedown after all that frenzy than some classic John Prine

The very young pre record deal Prine laying down one of his original songs at a radio station. Probably his first recording, they allowed him to do just a few songs, one take, no frills, just him and his guitar. I like this version better than the studio cut that would later be on his debut album.

Glad you enjoyed this. I had a lot of fun making it and I've listened to it many times myself.

Tracklist-

1. Home In A Boxcar - Hoots and Hellmouth
2. Black Cadillac - Joyce Green
3. Amarillo By Morning - George Strait
4. Birmingham - Randy Newman
5. I Cheated On A Good Woman's Love - Billy "Crash" Craddock
6. When The Bill's Paid - Lee Dorsey
7. You Don't Care For Me Enough To Cry - John Moreland
8. Only With You - Roy Orbison
9. Remember The Day - Lucky Peterson
10. Continuing - Mike Nesmith
11. Wild Love - The Stool Pigeons
12. I Can't Keep From Crying Sometime - Al Kooper
13. Pipeline - The Chantays
14. Rock Granny Roll - Hank Ballard and the Midnighters
15. Peter Gunn - Roy Buchanan
16. Hello In There - John Prine

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 19 Jun 2017, 16:09

Mike Boom wrote:
11. Allen Toussaint and the original version of Glen Campbells “Southern Nights” from his 1975 concept album of the same name.

Well, now that I know that there's a psychedelic concept album by Allen Toussaint I'll have to listen to it.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 28 Jun 2017, 03:53

Hello sender!

1. Off to a grand start - Patti Smith and Paths that Cross. I've learnt to love later Patti, a lot.
2. A lovely soul voice here, and a song I feel I recognise, maybe not by this artist though? Seem to remember I have heard a bloke singing this?
3. Oh my goodness, a totally new song to me here, and what a song. Beautiful guitar, a lovely voice and really moving words. Can't wait to find out what this is..
4. Astrud Gilberto! :)
5. Alison Krauss, I think? Not sure what song though..very sweet
6. No idea who this is, but I like her a LOT
7. Aretha! It's My Turn!
8. Hmm..first bum track of the disc. Not keen on this at all - just not my kind of thing. Very bland.
9. Darlene Love! And I love, of course..
10. This sounds a bit like Aimee Mann, though I am not TOTALLY sure...sweet enough
11. Can't place this at all - but very much like the vocals
12. This is an extremely lovely vocal, but I'm afraid living in Texas and spending a lot of time with Texan singer songwriters has made me naturally averse to any songs that discuss whiskey in the bloodstream
13. AMYYYYYYYYYY
Thanks so much mixer! I would say that only one track on here failed to deliver at all, and the rest had some stuff I can't wait to find out the reveal for!
Thank you!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 01 Jul 2017, 17:08

Grey Error wrote:Hello sender!

Hi Anna, this was from me, as if you didn't know. I have to start with a confession. It seems I forgot to save the playlist, so I'm having to match up the tracks from saved folder. I think I have most sorted but I'll leave 6 and 8 until the end

1. Off to a grand start - Patti Smith and Paths that Cross. I've learnt to love later Patti, a lot.

I always think of this as the end of earler Patti rather than the start of later Patti as this was he last album made with Fred. I always loved this song anyway, but it acquired greater resonance from reading the books and discovering this was written for Robert Mapplethorpe when his partner died of AIDS

2. A lovely soul voice here, and a song I feel I recognise, maybe not by this artist though? Seem to remember I have heard a bloke singing this?

From Texas via New Orleans the great Barbara Lynn

3. Oh my goodness, a totally new song to me here, and what a song. Beautiful guitar, a lovely voice and really moving words. Can't wait to find out what this is..

If pretty sure this is Eleanor Friedberger, singer with the band The Fiery Furnaces. If I'm right it should sound a lot like this

...with all due apologies for sending a vegetarian somthing that sounds like fried burger :D

4. Astrud Gilberto! :)

No confusion here. Astrud indeed.

5. Alison Krauss, I think? Not sure what song though..very sweet

Alison proving she doesn't need Percy to sound great. Title track from Paper Airplane

6. No idea who this is, but I like her a LOT see below]

7. Aretha! It's My Turn!

It wpuld be easy to pick anything from thr early Atlantic albums and this potentially was a harder sell. Many would complain about the slick production and power balladry, but i'ts all about the voice and here she sounds as great as ever.

8. Hmm..first bum track of the disc. Not keen on this at all - just not my kind of thing. Very bland. see below

9. Darlene Love! And I love, of course..

Me love too

10. This sounds a bit like Aimee Mann, though I am not TOTALLY sure...sweet enough

It is indeed Aimee Mann. Well spotted

11. Can't place this at all - but very much like the vocals

Again one I think I know from memory of the running order. Sam Phillips (Mrs T Bone Burnette rather than Mr Sun Records. Again if I'm right it should sound like this.

12. This is an extremely lovely vocal, but I'm afraid living in Texas and spending a lot of time with Texan singer songwriters has made me naturally averse to any songs that discuss whiskey in the bloodstream

Well she was ust 19 when this came out, so I think we can cut her some slack - Julien Baker

13. AMYYYYYYYYYY

Tears Dry On THeir Own, Still hard to hear this without weeping at the sheer waste of it all. Oh what might have been.

As for the two missing tracks, not sure which way round they went ,further confused by having 14 tracks in folder but only using 13. One is This Is The Kit with Silver John wich should be apparent from the lyrics, the other AMy Millan with Headsfull

Thanks so much mixer! I would say that only one track on here failed to deliver at all, and the rest had some stuff I can't wait to find out the reveal for!
Thank you! You're welcome
We're way past rhubarb

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 03 Jul 2017, 17:59

Wow some really interesting stuff here, thanks Paul! I will certainly be checking them out!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 06 Jul 2017, 10:39

Thanks Paul for the mix, which I've enjoyed a few times now. Here, then, are some examples of the sort of thoughts the music gave me...

1. You know, I could do with a couple of albums of this sort of thing. Perfect summer sounds. I’m not even sure what you’d call it. Sort of early country balladeering with barbershop vocals, I guess. The sort of music playing when Oliver Hardy’s on the pull, using his best lines and trying to appear suave. Delightful, thanks.
2. Now what’s happened? It’s like a bad attempt at copying late-80s Brian Wilson solo stuff. Maybe it’s Eugene Landy on his own. It’s not really listenable, whatever it is. I bet it turns out to be Brian himself.
3. Is this Van? I actually quite like this, which I rarely do with him (although I do like everything I’ve heard by Them). Yeah, this is neat. Lovely bluesy guitar, very west coast garage band sort of thing, with a great vocal. I could happily play an album like this. Is there one?
4. What’s this – it’s like an American David Essex. It’s like something from a musical, or a school play. “the sun goes down on everyone”. Really? This is like mid-80s solo McCartney.
5. That’s more like it! I know this – it’s what’s his name. A fine piece of rhythm and blues, with a strong New Orleans groove. I guess it could be Rufus Thomas, but I think it’s somebody else, who I know from another track, which is very similar to this. Maybe it is Rufus. Regardless, it’s great.
6. How bizarre! Not quite sure what to make of this. It sounds like they’re making it up as they go along (not a criticism, you understand). Like the random introduction more than the song, but I quite like that too. Sounds a bit like Hot Chip (although I’m pretty sure it isn’t). Intrigued by this, even if I don’t particularly love it as yet.
7. Blues stomp about Clarksdale, a town we’ve both enjoyed. Feels like another lifetime to me, so much has happened since. I’d like to get back there one day, take my boy, make him stand in the sweltering heat listening to some near-dead man moan about life. I don’t love this, I’m afraid, it’s too much following a formula of what the blues is more than feeling authentic enough to be great blues. Good to hear though, and I bet they’d be good live.
8. Another one that I reckon would be great live, but doesn’t feel quite authentic enough to get me deep inside. Decent performance, reasonable song, and I could listen to her voice all day, of course.
9. Another sub-mccartney song. The guy sounds like he’s actually trying to do a mccartney impression. I can’t listen to this without thinking of this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x5Mqges1Zg
10. Ah, Cuba, jolly good. I have another version of this tune somewhere, by a band I saw a few times when I was in Havana. I’d very much like to be in Havana right now, thinking about it. Cold can of crystal on the malecon watching the sun go down before dinner… love that place, and its music. This is right up my avenue. You’re going to tell me it isn’t from Cuba now, aren’t you? Great ending.
11. This reminds me a bit of Josh T Pearson, although much faster (no, really!) and less miserable (seriously). It’s got a nice atmosphere and he has a pretty cool voice. I’d prefer him to play it straighter though, the affectations distract from the performance for me. 6/10.
12. Ah, Philly. I never quite got into philly soul much, although not because of a dislike, I just never got round to it. The Delfonics I know, though, and I know this song, either a cover or a sample… nice piece, especially in the sun (which I am).
13. Cute piece of country-hinged rockabilly. A touch clean cut for my tastes, but an enjoyable listen. And I always love that kind of lyric – I’ve lost everything but the blues, sort of idea.
14. Nice blues shouter, in the Titus Turner/Joe Turner/Williams vein. That bit of hollering around 2’30” sends shivers down my spine. Great stuff!
15. Oh, I reckon I could fall for this given enough bourbon (as in, not a lot). Dear wrinkled face. How beautiful. Growing old together. It’s just as he says in the song:
Such midnight love
On this cross hung
Would have scared us
When we were young

Thanks for the interesting mix. I reckon that’s a good 50% hit rate, and a few I’m really keep to investigate further.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 08 Jul 2017, 13:15

So my second review of this month as I did an exchange mix with Bhoy so he could play this month. Reveal to follow.

1) When it starts I’m thinking Ooh good something miserable, I like a bit of miserable, but about 30 seconds later I’m just about comatose, but then when the vocals start – wow. I don’t always like all those “chilled” type voices (Beth Orton, Roisin Murphy etc) but this woman has real expression.
2) Well what a last testament this proved to be.The whole album has the tone of an elegy. Really dark in places. To answer the question This is just dark enough thanks Len.
3) Not a major shift in mood, but I was put off by his voice, just a bit too twee to carry it off, especially following directly after laughing Lenny, but the female voice is quite lovely and strangely I liked the two together in harmony.
4) Well there’s no denying everyone here can play. The guitarist seems capable of more than that relentless plinky plink which grates very quickly. The flautist is trying to create atmospheric soundscapes. It sounds like they are competing against rather than complementing each other. The proggers would probably love this. I on the other hand…..
5) Nice enough simple song lifted by some pretty wild vocal harmonies nd multi-tracking. This grew on me a lot
6) Think this might be Sinead O’Connor. Some of her stuff I;ve heard has been OK. Maybe it’s just cover versions, I never liked Nothing Compares 2 U although I appear to be in a minority. I don’t hate this but it just seems to totally miss the point. Ode To Billie Joe is in the great southern gothic tradition. The heat haze strum along vibe of the original is perfect. Everything appears carrying on as normal. The back story is all gossip, secrets, suspicions and rumours. Why try to chill it out like a Nick Cave murder ballad.
7) There is loveliness here, although it destroys its own mood getting bombastic in the middle. Ultimately there’s nothing at its core. Like a sandwich with the finest crusty bread and no filling.
8) How many think they are hip because they have a copy of Watertown and nothing else. Watertown is great of course but you need plenty of this classic Capitol period too
9) Brel sort of works due to the darker tones and theatrical elements. The rest of Chanson however just sounds nonsensical to me. My acid test is imagine someone singing this in English and as often as not you’d laugh your bollocks off. Jake Thackeray did that sort of thing and just sounded plain weird.
10) The sort of guitar riff you feel you’ve heard a million times before but it really doesn’t matter. It always sounds great. I love a bit of mad frantic guitar,
11) There’s a song in here somewhere I think I recognise but it’s something and nothing. This one is ALL about the guitar. If the last one was mad, this bad boy needs sectioning.
12) Oft covered Mickey Newbury song that I’ve heard in a number of versions, but never before in a bluesy garage style like this. It works though !
13) Nice bit of ballady God bothering. Fell I should know the voice. Shades of Elvis. Shades of Jackie Wilson.
14) Oh look it’s My Way. I suppose it’s acquired a certain cheesiness due to over exposure. Here it tests my “phone book” singer theory, but to quote the song, I’ll state my case of which Im certain – Aretha is the greatest bar none. There are those on BCB who would deny this. They are of course a) cloth-eared b) stupid c) very very wrong
15) Why ? Interminable overblown drivel

I'm guessing that was deliberate, ending on a high note. I bet you were chuckling as you put the disc together. Anyway thanks Paul, enjoyed this for the most part and let's face it, it wouldn't be a proper Bhoy mix without something I hated, :D
We're way past rhubarb

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 12 Jul 2017, 11:41

The Fish wrote:So my second review of this month as I did an exchange mix with Bhoy so he could play this month. Reveal to follow.

1) When it starts I’m thinking Ooh good something miserable, I like a bit of miserable, but about 30 seconds later I’m just about comatose, but then when the vocals start – wow. I don’t always like all those “chilled” type voices (Beth Orton, Roisin Murphy etc) but this woman has real expression.

I’m glad you liked this. Aldous Harding qwith Swell Does the Skull from Party. She’s my favourite new discover in ages. Her album, which is only just out, is incredible, I think. Every song is this good, or better. Just go buy it right away before reading the rest of this reveal! Trust me.

The Fish wrote:2) Well what a last testament this proved to be.The whole album has the tone of an elegy. Really dark in places. To answer the question This is just dark enough thanks Len.

You know, I’m starting to think this is the best Leonard Cohen album since the sixties. I think it’s amazing, really. Some last testament, eh? This is my favourite song off it.

The Fish wrote:3) Not a major shift in mood, but I was put off by his voice, just a bit too twee to carry it off, especially following directly after laughing Lenny, but the female voice is quite lovely and strangely I liked the two together in harmony.

This is James Yorkston, with the Blues You Sang. Funny, I’d never describe him as twee. It’s a song about his double-bass player, who died of cancer. Both of them are/were friends of mine, so I get a bit weepy at it. The female singer is KT Tunstall. Pictish Trail (another friend) also sings on this, so there’s actually three voices. The song is basically about an old, drunken friend who loved the blues, especially when he was drunk. I have no idea what made me think of it ;)

The Fish wrote:4) Well there’s no denying everyone here can play. The guitarist seems capable of more than that relentless plinky plink which grates very quickly. The flautist is trying to create atmospheric soundscapes. It sounds like they are competing against rather than complementing each other. The proggers would probably love this. I on the other hand…..

Fabiano do Nascimento is a Brazilian guitar player whose two albums in recent years I’ve really loved. This piece is about the Amazon rainforest, which is my favourite place on the planet. I love it as it reminds me of being in the jungle. It was a risk on here…

The Fish wrote:5) Nice enough simple song lifted by some pretty wild vocal harmonies nd multi-tracking. This grew on me a lot

This is Bon Iver. I’m pretty sure you liked him last time I put a track of his on a mix for you (in fact, didn’t you have the album? Maybe not.) Anyway, this is from his latest album, 22, A Million. The whole album is a real grower, as is all his stuff. Amazing live too. Really amazing at times. As you say, simple song, great arrangement.

The Fish wrote:6) Think this might be Sinead O’Connor. Some of her stuff I;ve heard has been OK. Maybe it’s just cover versions, I never liked Nothing Compares 2 U although I appear to be in a minority. I don’t hate this but it just seems to totally miss the point. Ode To Billie Joe is in the great southern gothic tradition. The heat haze strum along vibe of the original is perfect. Everything appears carrying on as normal. The back story is all gossip, secrets, suspicions and rumours. Why try to chill it out like a Nick Cave murder ballad.

I don’t think it misses the point, personally, I just think she reimagines it as something more akin to an Irish folk tale. Horses for courses, like.

The Fish wrote:7) There is loveliness here, although it destroys its own mood getting bombastic in the middle. Ultimately there’s nothing at its core. Like a sandwich with the finest crusty bread and no filling.

For me, this is all about the tones of the instruments, the atmosphere they create (like our Brazilian friend above). It’s Lomond Campbell, with a piece called Fallen Stag, out earlier this year and recorded in an abandoned castle in the Scottish Highlands. It probably works better in the context of the album, but I just love those strings.

The Fish wrote:8) How many think they are hip because they have a copy of Watertown and nothing else. Watertown is great of course but you need plenty of this classic Capitol period too

I keep meaning to pick up Watertown. For me, though, the Capitol stuff is perfect Sinatra. This is You Go To My Head, from the perfectly titled Nice’n’Easy. Nelson Riddle’s arrangements are heaven, aren’t they?

The Fish wrote:9) Brel sort of works due to the darker tones and theatrical elements. The rest of Chanson however just sounds nonsensical to me. My acid test is imagine someone singing this in English and as often as not you’d laugh your bollocks off. Jake Thackeray did that sort of thing and just sounded plain weird.

This is a classic piece of Serge Gainsbourg. I find your acid test baffling, I have to say. It’s not meant to sound good in English, it’s meant to sound good in French. It’s from 1961 and is a tribute to the French poet Jacques Prevert.

The Fish wrote:10) The sort of guitar riff you feel you’ve heard a million times before but it really doesn’t matter. It always sounds great. I love a bit of mad frantic guitar,

Yeah, right, that’s the thing with this – it doesn’t matte rthat it’s just the same thing only very slightly different when the thing was that good in the first place. This is from a great comp of stuff that all sounds basically like this but also all sounds great. It’s the Ventures (of course) with Wailin’, from the Riding The Curl. The Surf Music Explosion 1958-61 comp.

The Fish wrote:11) There’s a song in here somewhere I think I recognise but it’s something and nothing. This one is ALL about the guitar. If the last one was mad, this bad boy needs sectioning.

Ha! Modern psych from Thee Oh Sees, with Lupine Dominus from an album called Putrifier II. I think it was out about 5 years ago. They’re from San Francisco, of course. When you’re in the mood, this album is a trip! When you’re not, it’s a headache.

The Fish wrote:12) Oft covered Mickey Newbury song that I’ve heard in a number of versions, but never before in a bluesy garage style like this. It works though !

This is Supergrass. They do a great job, don’t they? It was on the b-side to Alright/Time, which was a huge hit for them in 1995. Kenny Rogers had the first hit with the song Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In) in the late 60s. Supergrass call it Condition. Good band, Supergrass. There’s a lot more to them than the hits.

The Fish wrote:13) Nice bit of ballady God bothering. Fell I should know the voice. Shades of Elvis. Shades of Jackie Wilson.

Shades of Elvis? It is Elvis. Great gospel singer, Elvis. This was on his 1957 Christmas album, which includes a few amazing gospel cuts.

The Fish wrote:14) Oh look it’s My Way. I suppose it’s acquired a certain cheesiness due to over exposure. Here it tests my “phone book” singer theory, but to quote the song, I’ll state my case of which Im certain – Aretha is the greatest bar none. There are those on BCB who would deny this. They are of course a) cloth-eared b) stupid c) very very wrong

God, isn’t it? Something of a rarity, I believe, too. Lord knows why, as it’s simply magnificent. And anyone who claims otherwise is certainly a, clearly b, and absurdly c. I thought you’d like it.

The Fish wrote:15) Why ? Interminable overblown drivel

I actually put this on there by mistake and decided to leave it on, just to see if you could be fooled into coming to the dark side. It’s Tangerine Dream, with Atem. Be honest, did you listen to it all?

The Fish wrote:I'm guessing that was deliberate, ending on a high note. I bet you were chuckling as you put the disc together. Anyway thanks Paul, enjoyed this for the most part and let's face it, it wouldn't be a proper Bhoy mix without something I hated, :D

My pleasure – seems like a few hits. Of all of them, you should try some more Aldous Harding, take my word for it.

1 Aldous Harding – Swell Does the Skull
2 Leonard Cohen – Treaty
3 James Yorkston – the Blues You Sang
4 Louva-a-Deus “Mantis” – Fabiano do Nascimento
5 29 #Strafford APTS – Bon Iver
6 Ode to Billy Joe – Sinead O’Connor
7 Fallen Stag – Lomond Campbell
8 You Go To My Head – Frank Sinatra
9 La Chanson de Prévert – Serge Gainsbourg
10 Wailin’ – the Ventures
11 Lupine Dominus – Thee Oh Sees
12 Condition – Supergrass
13 It Is No Secret (What God Can Do) – Elvis Presley
14 My Way – Aretha Franklin
15 Atem – Tangerine Dream

Abashed

Postby Abashed » 12 Jul 2017, 14:52

bhoywonder wrote:
The Fish wrote:So my second review of this month as I did an exchange mix with Bhoy so he could play this month. Reveal to follow.

I’m glad you liked this. Aldous Harding qwith Swell Does the Skull from Party. She’s my favourite new discover in ages. Her album, which is only just out, is incredible, I think. Every song is this good, or better. Just go buy it right away before reading the rest of this reveal! Trust me.

The Fish wrote:2) Well what a last testament this proved to be.The whole album has the tone of an elegy. Really dark in places. To answer the question This is just dark enough thanks Len.

You know, I’m starting to think this is the best Leonard Cohen album since the sixties. I think it’s amazing, really. Some last testament, eh? This is my favourite song off it.

The Fish wrote:3) Not a major shift in mood, but I was put off by his voice, just a bit too twee to carry it off, especially following directly after laughing Lenny, but the female voice is quite lovely and strangely I liked the two together in harmony.

This is James Yorkston, with the Blues You Sang. Funny, I’d never describe him as twee. It’s a song about his double-bass player, who died of cancer. Both of them are/were friends of mine, so I get a bit weepy at it. The female singer is KT Tunstall. Pictish Trail (another friend) also sings on this, so there’s actually three voices. The song is basically about an old, drunken friend who loved the blues, especially when he was drunk. I have no idea what made me think of it ;)

The Fish wrote:4) Well there’s no denying everyone here can play. The guitarist seems capable of more than that relentless plinky plink which grates very quickly. The flautist is trying to create atmospheric soundscapes. It sounds like they are competing against rather than complementing each other. The proggers would probably love this. I on the other hand…..

Fabiano do Nascimento is a Brazilian guitar player whose two albums in recent years I’ve really loved. This piece is about the Amazon rainforest, which is my favourite place on the planet. I love it as it reminds me of being in the jungle. It was a risk on here…

The Fish wrote:5) Nice enough simple song lifted by some pretty wild vocal harmonies nd multi-tracking. This grew on me a lot

This is Bon Iver. I’m pretty sure you liked him last time I put a track of his on a mix for you (in fact, didn’t you have the album? Maybe not.) Anyway, this is from his latest album, 22, A Million. The whole album is a real grower, as is all his stuff. Amazing live too. Really amazing at times. As you say, simple song, great arrangement.

The Fish wrote:6) Think this might be Sinead O’Connor. Some of her stuff I;ve heard has been OK. Maybe it’s just cover versions, I never liked Nothing Compares 2 U although I appear to be in a minority. I don’t hate this but it just seems to totally miss the point. Ode To Billie Joe is in the great southern gothic tradition. The heat haze strum along vibe of the original is perfect. Everything appears carrying on as normal. The back story is all gossip, secrets, suspicions and rumours. Why try to chill it out like a Nick Cave murder ballad.

I don’t think it misses the point, personally, I just think she reimagines it as something more akin to an Irish folk tale. Horses for courses, like.

The Fish wrote:7) There is loveliness here, although it destroys its own mood getting bombastic in the middle. Ultimately there’s nothing at its core. Like a sandwich with the finest crusty bread and no filling.

For me, this is all about the tones of the instruments, the atmosphere they create (like our Brazilian friend above). It’s Lomond Campbell, with a piece called Fallen Stag, out earlier this year and recorded in an abandoned castle in the Scottish Highlands. It probably works better in the context of the album, but I just love those strings.

The Fish wrote:8) How many think they are hip because they have a copy of Watertown and nothing else. Watertown is great of course but you need plenty of this classic Capitol period too

I keep meaning to pick up Watertown. For me, though, the Capitol stuff is perfect Sinatra. This is You Go To My Head, from the perfectly titled Nice’n’Easy. Nelson Riddle’s arrangements are heaven, aren’t they?

The Fish wrote:9) Brel sort of works due to the darker tones and theatrical elements. The rest of Chanson however just sounds nonsensical to me. My acid test is imagine someone singing this in English and as often as not you’d laugh your bollocks off. Jake Thackeray did that sort of thing and just sounded plain weird.

This is a classic piece of Serge Gainsbourg. I find your acid test baffling, I have to say. It’s not meant to sound good in English, it’s meant to sound good in French. It’s from 1961 and is a tribute to the French poet Jacques Prevert.

The Fish wrote:10) The sort of guitar riff you feel you’ve heard a million times before but it really doesn’t matter. It always sounds great. I love a bit of mad frantic guitar,

Yeah, right, that’s the thing with this – it doesn’t matte rthat it’s just the same thing only very slightly different when the thing was that good in the first place. This is from a great comp of stuff that all sounds basically like this but also all sounds great. It’s the Ventures (of course) with Wailin’, from the Riding The Curl. The Surf Music Explosion 1958-61 comp.

The Fish wrote:11) There’s a song in here somewhere I think I recognise but it’s something and nothing. This one is ALL about the guitar. If the last one was mad, this bad boy needs sectioning.

Ha! Modern psych from Thee Oh Sees, with Lupine Dominus from an album called Putrifier II. I think it was out about 5 years ago. They’re from San Francisco, of course. When you’re in the mood, this album is a trip! When you’re not, it’s a headache.

The Fish wrote:12) Oft covered Mickey Newbury song that I’ve heard in a number of versions, but never before in a bluesy garage style like this. It works though !

This is Supergrass. They do a great job, don’t they? It was on the b-side to Alright/Time, which was a huge hit for them in 1995. Kenny Rogers had the first hit with the song Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In) in the late 60s. Supergrass call it Condition. Good band, Supergrass. There’s a lot more to them than the hits.

The Fish wrote:13) Nice bit of ballady God bothering. Fell I should know the voice. Shades of Elvis. Shades of Jackie Wilson.

Shades of Elvis? It is Elvis. Great gospel singer, Elvis. This was on his 1957 Christmas album, which includes a few amazing gospel cuts.

The Fish wrote:14) Oh look it’s My Way. I suppose it’s acquired a certain cheesiness due to over exposure. Here it tests my “phone book” singer theory, but to quote the song, I’ll state my case of which Im certain – Aretha is the greatest bar none. There are those on BCB who would deny this. They are of course a) cloth-eared b) stupid c) very very wrong

God, isn’t it? Something of a rarity, I believe, too. Lord knows why, as it’s simply magnificent. And anyone who claims otherwise is certainly a, clearly b, and absurdly c. I thought you’d like it.

The Fish wrote:15) Why ? Interminable overblown drivel

I actually put this on there by mistake and decided to leave it on, just to see if you could be fooled into coming to the dark side. It’s Tangerine Dream, with Atem. Be honest, did you listen to it all?

The Fish wrote:I'm guessing that was deliberate, ending on a high note. I bet you were chuckling as you put the disc together. Anyway thanks Paul, enjoyed this for the most part and let's face it, it wouldn't be a proper Bhoy mix without something I hated, :D

My pleasure – seems like a few hits. Of all of them, you should try some more Aldous Harding, take my word for it.

1 Aldous Harding – Swell Does the Skull
2 Leonard Cohen – Treaty
3 James Yorkston – the Blues You Sang
4 Louva-a-Deus “Mantis” – Fabiano do Nascimento
5 29 #Strafford APTS – Bon Iver
6 Ode to Billy Joe – Sinead O’Connor
7 Fallen Stag – Lomond Campbell
8 You Go To My Head – Frank Sinatra
9 La Chanson de Prévert – Serge Gainsbourg
10 Wailin’ – the Ventures
11 Lupine Dominus – Thee Oh Sees
12 Condition – Supergrass
13 It Is No Secret (What God Can Do) – Elvis Presley
14 My Way – Aretha Franklin
15 Atem – Tangerine Dream

:lol:

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 15 Jul 2017, 21:35

bhoywonder wrote:Thanks Paul for the mix, which I've enjoyed a few times now. Here, then, are some examples of the sort of thoughts the music gave me...

1. You know, I could do with a couple of albums of this sort of thing. Perfect summer sounds. I’m not even sure what you’d call it. Sort of early country balladeering with barbershop vocals, I guess. The sort of music playing when Oliver Hardy’s on the pull, using his best lines and trying to appear suave. Delightful, thanks.

FRom the 1930s the original Sons Of The Pioneers, featuring Roy Rogers. I believe they may actually still be going in some bizarre philosopher's axe kind of way.

2. Now what’s happened? It’s like a bad attempt at copying late-80s Brian Wilson solo stuff. Maybe it’s Eugene Landy on his own. It’s not really listenable, whatever it is. I bet it turns out to be Brian himself.

I guess I should have guessed you'd hate this. Wilson fan Peter Lacey has a sort of cottage industry making home recordings like this.

3. Is this Van? I actually quite like this, which I rarely do with him (although I do like everything I’ve heard by Them). Yeah, this is neat. Lovely bluesy guitar, very west coast garage band sort of thing, with a great vocal. I could happily play an album like this. Is there one?

FRom the Bang years, so after Them and before Astral Weeks. There's been any amount of different albums plundering the same material Blowin' your MInd, TB Sheets etc but now there is the deinitive complete set (3CD) it's no longer such a minefield. The best known song Brown Eyed Girl is the least typical.

4. What’s this – it’s like an American David Essex. It’s like something from a musical, or a school play. “the sun goes down on everyone”. Really? This is like mid-80s solo McCartney.

THis is what we call pop music you shpuld try it sometime. Secret Powers

5. That’s more like it! I know this – it’s what’s his name. A fine piece of rhythm and blues, with a strong New Orleans groove. I guess it could be Rufus Thomas, but I think it’s somebody else, who I know from another track, which is very similar to this. Maybe it is Rufus. Regardless, it’s great.

In many ways the forgottne man of New Orleans soul, now mosrt likely to be a quiz answer - Chris Kenner,

6. How bizarre! Not quite sure what to make of this. It sounds like they’re making it up as they go along (not a criticism, you understand). Like the random introduction more than the song, but I quite like that too. Sounds a bit like Hot Chip (although I’m pretty sure it isn’t). Intrigued by this, even if I don’t particularly love it as yet.

Can't dispute anything you say. It is a bit all over the place but intriguing. Kiwi band The Ruby Suns

7. Blues stomp about Clarksdale, a town we’ve both enjoyed. Feels like another lifetime to me, so much has happened since. I’d like to get back there one day, take my boy, make him stand in the sweltering heat listening to some near-dead man moan about life. I don’t love this, I’m afraid, it’s too much following a formula of what the blues is more than feeling authentic enough to be great blues. Good to hear though, and I bet they’d be good live.

I know what you mena up to a point, but there's enough grit in the mix here ti lure me in and the album is a bit more varied than this - The Heritage Blues Orchestra

8. Another one that I reckon would be great live, but doesn’t feel quite authentic enough to get me deep inside. Decent performance, reasonable song, and I could listen to her voice all day, of course.

Two legends for the price of one. Bought this in LA out shopping with TG No brainer at $3 A tribute album to the 5 Royales who are great (didn't i send you a track on the last mix ?) It;s by Steve Ceopper with various guest vocalists. Here it's Bettye Lavette

9. Another sub-mccartney song. The guy sounds like he’s actually trying to do a mccartney impression. I can’t listen to this without thinking of this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x5Mqges1Zg

Only "sub" in as much as it isn't Macca but I think you are very wrong on this one. If you're looking for a song with all the Macca hallmarks, the for me this absoultely nails it. Oh well. Canadian power pop band The Nines

10. Ah, Cuba, jolly good. I have another version of this tune somewhere, by a band I saw a few times when I was in Havana. I’d very much like to be in Havana right now, thinking about it. Cold can of crystal on the malecon watching the sun go down before dinner… love that place, and its music. This is right up my avenue. You’re going to tell me it isn’t from Cuba now, aren’t you? Great ending.

I am cos it isn't. Cuban that is. Straight of the streets of NYC - Joe Bataan

11. This reminds me a bit of Josh T Pearson, although much faster (no, really!) and less miserable (seriously). It’s got a nice atmosphere and he has a pretty cool voice. I’d prefer him to play it straighter though, the affectations distract from the performance for me. 6/10.

Well I did say I like bit of miserable and my favourite miserablist is Mark Kozelek either with Red House Painters, Sun Kil Moon or as with this one solo.

12. Ah, Philly. I never quite got into philly soul much, although not because of a dislike, I just never got round to it. The Delfonics I know, though, and I know this song, either a cover or a sample… nice piece, especially in the sun (which I am).

Yeah definitely underrated The DElfonics.

13. Cute piece of country-hinged rockabilly. A touch clean cut for my tastes, but an enjoyable listen. And I always love that kind of lyric – I’ve lost everything but the blues, sort of idea.

Retro rather than Contemporary but one of the better examples. I like that they play it straight without the b=need to don the leather jacket and rthe sneer. No substitute for sounding like you;re enjoying it. Better known stateside I;m guessing - Big Sandy and his Fly Rite Boys

14. Nice blues shouter, in the Titus Turner/Joe Turner/Williams vein. That bit of hollering around 2’30” sends shivers down my spine. Great stuff!

I think most like SCreamin' Jay Hawkins but he tends to get dismissed as some novelty freakshow. I really think he's the real deal though albeit clearly as nad as a box of frogs

15. Oh, I reckon I could fall for this given enough bourbon (as in, not a lot). Dear wrinkled face. How beautiful. Growing old together. It’s just as he says in the song:
Such midnight love
On this cross hung
Would have scared us
When we were young

DEliberatley linking back to track 1 in a When I'm 64 kind of way, although clearly here it's more a case of NOW i'm 64. Folkie Greg Brown who really deserves to be mentioned along with the likes of Guy Clark

Thanks for the interesting mix. I reckon that’s a good 50% hit rate, and a few I’m really keep to investigate further.

Thanks it's always a challenge but one I enjoy.

1. The SOns Of The Pioneers - Will You Love Me When My Hair Has Turned To Silver
2. Peter Lacey - Love
3. Van Morrison - Joe Harper Saturday Morning
4. Secret Powers - Heavy
5. Chris Kenner - That's My Girl
6. The Ruby SUns - Cranberry
7. The Heritage Blues Orchestra - Clarksdale Moan
8. Steve Cropper - Dob't Be Ashamed
9. The Nines - Sister Louisiana
10. Joe Bataan - Puerto Rico Me Llama
11. Mark Kozelek - Amanda
12. The Delfonics - Trying To Make A Foll Out Of Me
13. Big Sandy & His Fly Rite Boys - The Loser's Blues