Nov/Dec 16 Reviews

Exchange mix CDs with each other.
Nick Danger

Nov/Dec 16 Reviews

Postby Nick Danger » 22 Dec 2016, 17:11

Nice mix this month, solidly in my eclectic genres realm, well sequenced and smoothly flowing. Mostly vintage it seems and showing production restraint which is always welcome.

1. This is one of the few artists I recognize, Leon Russell. I don't recognize the song but it's a good'un. I don't own a lot of LR other than a compilation. The piano is interesting here. Good song, nice start.
2. I like this a lot, has a slight New Orleans feel to it, good band. The tune reminds me of Chuck E's in Love. No idea who this is but I would investigate more of this.
3. Jump bluesy and swampy and cool all at the same time. Sounds vintage, one of those instrumentals that reveals more each time you play it. Good choice.
4. The pace is picking up more, a great interpretation of Hey Joe. I've heard many versions of this song and this is a standout. Great playing, really love the guitar and the freakout touches. I'm really curious about who this is. They make this overplayed song sound fresh.
5. Another nice instrumental. Sounds like a guitar and upright bass duet. Lots of energy. This is pretty wonderful, love it.
6. I know this song but not this version I think. The voice sounds familiar though. The guitar is the best part of this. The drummer does come in and earn his keep at the end. I probably own something by this band. Another good choice.
7. Another familiar voice. English? I like this, has a British Invasion feel, another one I may own. I can almost place it but not quite. It's good.
8. Jump blues, standard fare but enjoyable. It's a little less appealing than what came before but it's not bad. I really like the wah wah cornet action.
9. My first thought was Sandy Denny but then I decided it was Alison Krause. In any case it's pretty great. Well sung and played, a tastefully restrained banjo in the background. Sad, mournful, haunting, I like going there. Whoever it is this girl can sing.
10. One of the other singers I can identify - John Prine. It's not a song I know so it must be from his middle period since he's still in very good voice here. I need to buy whatever album this is from. Another good selection.
11. Another genre I like, full fledged banjo bluegrass. Female voice reminiscent of Hazel Dickens. A little bluegrass once in awhile can be refreshing.
12. A singer/songwriter voice that sounds familiar. It's an ok story song without much happening musically. Pleasant but not as engaging as the rest of the mix.
13. I like this ok, a male/female duet with tasteful accompaniment. A little boring but not bad. I like the female singer better than the male.
14. Not much to say about this one. It's simple and pleasant but it kind of passes me by.
15. This is a nice finish. I think I have heard this but can't come up with who it is. Well sung and played. It has a sprightly folkish feel that is very appealing. Good band, the horns are a nice touch. I liked this more with each listen.

Well done mixer. It seems you tried to appeal to my tastes and you succeeded. I am very curious about a lot of this and look forward to the reveal.
Thanks so much.

whodathunkit

Re: Nov/Dec 16 Reviews

Postby whodathunkit » 30 Dec 2016, 10:28

Nick Danger wrote:Nice mix this month, solidly in my eclectic genres realm, well sequenced and smoothly flowing. Mostly vintage it seems and showing production restraint which is always welcome.

From your " mostly vintage" mixer

1. This is one of the few artists I recognize, Leon Russell. I don't recognize the song but it's a good'un. I don't own a lot of LR other than a compilation. The piano is interesting here. Good song, nice start.

Leon's passing seemed to get lost during this year's musical carnage. "Roll Away The Stone" from his first solo album back in 1970.

2. I like this a lot, has a slight New Orleans feel to it, good band. The tune reminds me of Chuck E's in Love. No idea who this is but I would investigate more of this.

LA old-timer (and Leon Russell look-alike) Carlos Guitarlos and "Get Back" from 2005's Hell Can Wait

3. Jump bluesy and swampy and cool all at the same time. Sounds vintage, one of those instrumentals that reveals more each time you play it. Good choice.

One of those Little Walter harp instrumentals. I can never tell one from another but they always hit the spot. This one's "Rock Bottom".

4. The pace is picking up more, a great interpretation of Hey Joe. I've heard many versions of this song and this is a standout. Great playing, really love the guitar and the freakout touches. I'm really curious about who this is. They make this overplayed song sound fresh.

Found this on a Psych mix on some dodgy music blog (some side road off Willards Wormholes). 60s Japanese outfit the Golden Cups and there is more excellent stuff from them on Youtube.

5. Another nice instrumental. Sounds like a guitar and upright bass duet. Lots of energy. This is pretty wonderful, love it.

If in doubt, chuck in some Leo Kottke. "Coolidge Rising" from his definitive 6 and 12 String Guitar[/i ] anthology.

6. I know this song but not this version I think. The voice sounds familiar though. The guitar is the best part of this. The drummer does come in and earn his keep at the end. I probably own something by this band. Another good choice.

A singular rarity - a great track with a drum solo in it. Spirit - "All The Same" - [i]The Family That Plays Together

7. Another familiar voice. English? I like this, has a British Invasion feel, another one I may own. I can almost place it but not quite. It's good.

The voice is Gerry Rafferty at his most McCartneyesque. His first band, the Humblebums and "All The Best People Do It"

8. Jump blues, standard fare but enjoyable. It's a little less appealing than what came before but it's not bad. I really like the wah wah cornet action.

Sonny Boy Williamson laying his blues aside for a while and "Apple Tree Swing"

9. My first thought was Sandy Denny but then I decided it was Alison Krause. In any case it's pretty great. Well sung and played, a tastefully restrained banjo in the background. Sad, mournful, haunting, I like going there. Whoever it is this girl can sing.

She's Aoife O'Donovan and the band is Crooked Still. "Low Down And Dirty" from Still Crooked(2008).3 or 4 excellent albums and now they seem to have disappeared

10. One of the other singers I can identify - John Prine. It's not a song I know so it must be from his middle period since he's still in very good voice here. I need to buy whatever album this is from. Another good selection.

"Clay Pigeons" from 2005's Fair And Square. Still prime Prine.

11. Another genre I like, full fledged banjo bluegrass. Female voice reminiscent of Hazel Dickens. A little bluegrass once in awhile can be refreshing.

A good shout. I thought it was Hazel Dickens too. I've just checked the disc and it turns out it was Phyliss Boyens :D . "The Last Old Shovel" from the Rounder records box-set.

12. A singer/songwriter voice that sounds familiar. It's an ok story song without much happening musically. Pleasant but not as engaging as the rest of the mix.

It strikes me now that, just by happenstance, these next three are all about quite similar situations - the security blanket of the familiar. Not very rock'n 'roll. Paul Siebel had a couple of albums out on Elektra in the early 70s. This is "My Town " from the best one, Woodsmoke and Oranges

13. I like this ok, a male/female duet with tasteful accompaniment. A little boring but not bad. I like the female singer better than the male.

From his 1971 classic The Lonesome Picker Rides Again. John Stewart (duetting with Mrs S, Buffy Ford) and "Bolinas".

14. Not much to say about this one. It's simple and pleasant but it kind of passes me by.

Another rarity - something from this year! :D Eric Bibb and "On The Porch" from an album he made with Danny Thompson (always a good move) called The Happiest Man In The World

15. This is a nice finish. I think I have heard this but can't come up with who it is. Well sung and played. It has a sprightly folkish feel that is very appealing. Good band, the horns are a nice touch. I liked this more with each listen.

Belated seasons greetings. Kate Rusby and the Cornish Wassailing song

[quote="Nick Danger]Well done mixer. It seems you tried to appeal to my tastes and you succeeded. I am very curious about a lot of this and look forward to the reveal.
Thanks so much.[/quote]

Cheers Nick Here's the list bit.

1. Roll Away The Stone" - Leon Russell
2. "Get Back" - Carlos Guitarlos
3. "Rock Bottom" - Little Walter
4. "Hey Joe" - The Golden Cups
5. "Coolidge Rising" - Leo Kottke
6. "All The Same" - Spirit
7. "All The Best People Do It" - The Humblebums
8. "Apple Tree Swing" - Sonny Boy Williamson
9. "Low Down And Dirty" - Crooked Still
10. "Clay Pigeons" - John Prine
11. "The Last Old Shovel" - Phyllis Boyens
12. "My Town" - Paul Siebel
13. "Bolinas" - John Stewart/Buffy Ford
14. "On The Porch" - Eric Bibb
15. "Cornish Wassail Song" - Kate Rusby

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 17 Jan 2017, 10:06

1. Are we recording? This is a Petty-ish slice of country/power-pop. "All I Wanna Do Is Be With You"? Well-crafted but I think too long.

2. In the same ballpark, features a reggae breakdown. Okay.

3. We move into a more country-ish vein. Acoustic guitar is the focus. Sweet pedal steel, nice picked solo., "You Been On My Mind"? Pick of the disc so far.

4. Folky modern story song "Said the Shepherd"? Doesn't make much sense - a shepherd concerned with the harvest? - but nice instrumentation.

5. Picks up the pace but is still in that country-rock mode. I like the fiddle on this one. "You Wrecked It All"? Again, a touch too long.

6. Slight change of mood for this piano-led ballad. Reminiscent of early 70s, Carole King sort of thing.

7. Much rockier. "Tell It To The Judge". Pick #2

8. I'm very much a sucker for songs with trumpets on. Very good. Pick #3

9. Fast picked country-ish tune about Katy Kay. The fiddle and harmony vocals lift this one. #4

10. A long organ intro finally gives way to piano that might be from Michael Nyman's The Piano soundtrack. The vocal is reminiscent of Lewis (Baloue). Love it. My new #1.

11. Elvis impersonation! "Trying to Hate You Right Out Of My Mind"? The second half of the disc is much better (so far) than the first.

12. This could be by Neal Casal. Which would be embarrassing. "I Love Her For That"?

13. Finger-picked guitar and a vocal drenched in reverb - this is another winner. I feel that the disc really hits a streak from track 10.

14. Nice fake accordion part, and then it bursts into BB harmonies for the last minute or so. Terrific! Is it about Caroline?

15. This final track makes me think of James Taylor - not just because it's about a "Carolina Day" - it feels like it could fit on Mud Slide Slim

The last half dozen songs make for a great sequence. The first half was let down (for me) by a couple songs that overstayed their welcome, and a couple more which didn't seem to quite lift off.

Many thanks!
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 21 Jan 2017, 20:14

Moleskin wrote:THis was from me Simon, so let's get to it......

1. Are we recording? This is a Petty-ish slice of country/power-pop. "All I Wanna Do Is Be With You"? Well-crafted but I think too long.

I often try and bookend a mix with two tracks with something in common. The idea here was two tracks by artists who sound just like their better known brothers. You were supposed to confidently say "This is Marshall Crenshaw" except it isn't it;s his brother Robert.

2. In the same ballpark, features a reggae breakdown. Okay.

From the new album by The Beat. Better than it ought to be given it's only Ranking Roger from the originl line up

3. We move into a more country-ish vein. Acoustic guitar is the focus. Sweet pedal steel, nice picked solo., "You Been On My Mind"? Pick of the disc so far.

Rodney Crowell. I always hear a bit of an Orbisonesque note to the vocals.

4. Folky modern story song "Said the Shepherd"? Doesn't make much sense - a shepherd concerned with the harvest? - but nice instrumentation.

But how sad is the story ? A touch of the Joanna Newson little girl vocal style but I'm OK with that. This is Anais Mitchell

5. Picks up the pace but is still in that country-rock mode. I like the fiddle on this one. "You Wrecked It All"? Again, a touch too long.

Everything about this band including the name Turnpikr TRoubadours suggests a leaning towards the horrible generic Good Ol' boy shitkicker southern rock type thing. However they play proper country and are all the better for it.

6. Slight change of mood for this piano-led ballad. Reminiscent of early 70s, Carole King sort of thing.

You cn't beat a Jimmy Webb song in my book and I love Jenniefer Warnes as a vocalist, so win win for me

7. Much rockier. "Tell It To The Judge". Pick #2

THe LOng Ryders. The recent box containing everything is reasonable priced and recommended.

8. I'm very much a sucker for songs with trumpets on. Very good. Pick #3

Scottish solo act recording under the name Blue Rose Code

9. Fast picked country-ish tune about Katy Kay. The fiddle and harmony vocals lift this one. #4

One of my albums of the year (2016). ANy Robbie Fulks album is worthwhile . THs one, Upland STories was particularly good.

10. A long organ intro finally gives way to piano that might be from Michael Nyman's The Piano soundtrack. The vocal is reminiscent of Lewis (Baloue). Love it. My new #1.

I;ve often included a track bu The Bathers. People usually guess Tom Waits, although I always think closer to Stuart Staples. You are certainly the first to guess Lewis !! (I have those albums - very strange ridiculouslu overblown and yet somehow compelling). Anywat the album here is Sunpowder, a thing of rare beauty alas OOP. The female singer is Liz Fraser

11. Elvis impersonation! "Trying to Hate You Right Out Of My Mind"? The second half of the disc is much better (so far) than the first.

I think he'd be flattered. Writer of some if the best songs around e.g. Dark End of THe STreet. Dan Penn is pretty damn good as a performer n his own right

12. This could be by Neal Casal. Which would be embarrassing. "I Love Her For That"?

LOve Neal Casal too, but this is Teddy Thompson, who should be up there with Jeff and Rufus in the "sons of" stakes.

13. Finger-picked guitar and a vocal drenched in reverb - this is another winner. I feel that the disc really hits a streak from track 10.

Has that dry sound of other Aussie bands (Gobies, Triffids) but this is the sadly underrated The APartments

14. Nice fake accordion part, and then it bursts into BB harmonies for the last minute or so. Terrific! Is it about Caroline?

Often appears on "buried treasure" lists The Complete Pet Soul by Splitsville attempts to marry the styles of Pet Sounds and Rubber Soul.

15. This final track makes me think of James Taylor - not just because it's about a "Carolina Day" - it feels like it could fit on Mud Slide Slim

From the reveal to track 1 you may indeed have surmised that this is Livingston Taylor

The last half dozen songs make for a great sequence. The first half was let down (for me) by a couple songs that overstayed their welcome, and a couple more which didn't seem to quite lift off.

Many thanks!

THanks for listening. SOunds like you enjoyed a fair amount here.

1. Robert Crenshaw - All I Want To Do Is Be With You
2. The Beat - Heaven Hiding
3. Rodney Crowell - You Been On My Mind
4. Anais Mitchell - Shepherd
5. Turnpike Troubadours - Wrecked
6. Jennofer Warnes = All My Love's Laughter
7. The LOng Ryders - Tell It To The Judge on Sunday
8. Blue Rose Code - Where The Westlin Winds Do Carry Me
9. Robbie Fulks - Katy Kay
10. The Bathers - Danger In Love
11. Dan Penn - I Hate You
12. Teddy Thompson - LOve Her For That
13. The Apartments - Mr Somewhere
14. Splitsville - Caroline Knows
15. Livingston Taylor - Carolina Day

We're way past rhubarb

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 22 Jan 2017, 20:12

Thanks!
@hewsim

Jug Band Music
my own music

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 09 Apr 2017, 12:05

Disc from Yves this month (well hardly this month but you now what I mean)

1.I know I sometimes complain about things sounding somewhat generic, an accusation I could level here. But that’s the nature of the Blue sometimes and this guy can certainly play so no real complaints and what’s not to like.
2. One could say the same here, but this is definitely in my comfort zone so whilst not totally leaping out at me, I’m sure I could enjoy this in the context of an album.
3. This one is making me sit up and take notice a bit more. Lovely female vocals. A winner.
4.This one starts out great, a terrific southern funk stew somewhere between Little Feat nd The Meters. The vocalist however is that female blues belter style I always struggle with (The aforementioned Feat being case in point – Never could get with Shaun Murphy) Like this well enough but struggling to get past the vocals.
5. This one is terrific. Vocals have that “throaty” sound like Andy Fairweather Low or Willy DeVille, complete with added bonus of honking sax. Great stuff.
6. Raw, rough, down, dirty. Yes please.
7. For some reason I’m sure I know this as a Ricky Skaggs song, so I’m sure I must have a version somewhere. Again right in my zone.
8. …as is this. Soon as I hear a country fiddle I’m hooked.
9.Shades of Eddie Hinton and that whole country soul thing. You know I’m going to love this right?
10.Totally love this. The voice with all its imperfections is great.
11. Much like track 2 not wowing me but I could probably stand to hear more before passing final judgment. In my zone for sure, but it’s getting a bit crowded in there and you have to fight for your space.
12. The song itself is quite slght but none the worse for it. Again not necessarily a wower but this could definitely be a grower.
13. Nice enough but Little eat own this and there’s already been one decent cover by The Byrds, so I have limited interest in the bronze medal race,
14, Great funky backing, but the song really only takes off when the singer hits falsetto mode. Great in parts.

Pretty enjoyable ad I'm sure aprt from the surefire winners a lot of the rest will grow on me once it's on my radar (You were right about Mandolin Orange). Thanks Yves
We're way past rhubarb

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 11 Apr 2017, 18:34

Paul’s review reminded me I still had one to do. Again apologies for the lateness.
My first impressions of this mix was the Folk heaviness.

01. Instrumental opener heavy on the strings and flute. Very nice to set the mood, I suspect this comes from a soundtrack.
02. Slow piano led number with a female vocalist. Nice follow up to track one. No idea who but that goes for the whole of this disc.
03. Right up my alley at seven and a half minutes. Starts out slow but goes all Gospel-y after a couple of minutes. Sign on the Cross is probably the title. This is something Leon Russell would do. A sure winner.
04. Is this Clapton doing JJ Cale or the other way around? Could be both as far as I’m concerned. Goes a bit on for too long. Not a favourite.
05. Correct me if I’m wrong but this sounds like pure Folk to me. Shirley Collins, Maddy Prior, Shelagh McDonald type. I liked me some Folk in my younger days. Still do.
06. This I should know but it escapes me. Another instrumental and that clear theme…aaargh I can’t remember. But not too impressed.
07. This sounds American folk scene mid 60’s. Polite choir follows the singer. Mmm, average.
08. More folk singer/songwriter. This one’s a good one.
09. See track 5. Another winner on the folk front. If this turns out to be Sandy Denny it’s a song I’ve not heard before.
10. More of it, all very clear lady voices. Alas, I’m not au courant with the current singers so again no idea. But a very good innings.
11. Don’t cry? Ballad type with strings and a singer for a change. Good but not special.
12. This I like better and it’s a little more Country. Oh, and another lady. Really good.
13. Wait, wait! This is my favourite Beatle George. Isn’t it a pity!!! Yeah!!!
14. Instrumental and what sounds like another film theme. Rich on the orchestra. OK.
15. It’s not him but it sounds like a song Lee Hazlewood could do. Sounds American too.

I played this disc many times with long intervals in between. Lord, I had it long enough. It’s very good overall, thank you mixer.
Did I mention the Mrs played it 6 times in a row once? ;-)
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Moleskin

Postby Moleskin » 14 Apr 2017, 11:31

Walk In My Shadow wrote:Paul’s review reminded me I still had one to do. Again apologies for the lateness.
My first impressions of this mix was the Folk heaviness.

No worries.

01. Instrumental opener heavy on the strings and flute. Very nice to set the mood, I suspect this comes from a soundtrack.

I'm rather fond of larding mixes with bits of soundtrack work and looking at the playlist for this one I seem to have gone a bit overboard, but hopefully they fit with the overall mood. This is from Paul McCartney & George Martin's soundtrack for The Family Way. I credit them both as apparently Paul hummed and played a few themes to George, who then orchestrated and developed them. This particular piece is sometimes called 'Love In The Open Air'

02. Slow piano led number with a female vocalist. Nice follow up to track one. No idea who but that goes for the whole of this disc.

Your first George Harrison cover - 'Run of The Mill' by The Magnetic North, from their Prospect Of Skelmersdale disc, inspired by the new town.

03. Right up my alley at seven and a half minutes. Starts out slow but goes all Gospel-y after a couple of minutes. Sign on the Cross is probably the title. This is something Leon Russell would do. A sure winner.

This is McGuinness, Flint, Coulson and Dean. After Gallagher & Lyle left the McGuinness-Flint band, the principals made an album of Bob Dylan covers, Lo! And Behold, which may be the best such around. The song is 'Sign On The Cross', from the Basement Tapes and otherwise unrecorded by his Bobness. (McGuinness and Flint had spent the 60s in Manfred Mann of course.)

04. Is this Clapton doing JJ Cale or the other way around? Could be both as far as I’m concerned. Goes a bit on for too long. Not a favourite.

The legendary Bobby Charles, writer of 'See You Later Alligator', backed by half of The Band on his self-titled album. The song is 'All The Money'.

05. Correct me if I’m wrong but this sounds like pure Folk to me. Shirley Collins, Maddy Prior, Shelagh McDonald type. I liked me some Folk in my younger days. Still do.

Mary Hopkin. She took the reins for her second and final album on Apple, Earth Song/Ocean Song, choosing the songs she would record and getting her husband Tony Visconti to produce. This is a Gallagher and Lyle song from the McGuinness-Flint songbook, 'Water, Paper and Clay'.

06. This I should know but it escapes me. Another instrumental and that clear theme…aaargh I can’t remember. But not too impressed.

This was the theme to the first series of Budgie, which starred Adam Faith as a low-rent criminal in the early 70s. It's called 'The Loner' and is by The Milton Hunter Orchestra, of whom I can find not a jot of other information.

07. This sounds American folk scene mid 60’s. Polite choir follows the singer. Mmm, average.

Not folk. The Monkees. This is my pick from the Davy/Mickey album Changes which is otherwise inconsequential. It's called 'Ticket On A Ferry Ride'.

08. More folk singer/songwriter. This one’s a good one.

Over the years I've picked up a bunch of those 'lost' albums as they've been reissued by Light In The Attic and others. Jim Sullivan made this one record, UFO, then disappeared into the desert. The song is 'Roll Back The Time'.

09. See track 5. Another winner on the folk front. If this turns out to be Sandy Denny it’s a song I’ve not heard before.

This is Julie Covington with 'If I Had My Time Again' from her album The Beautiful Changes, which I think preceded her turn on the original Evita album and 'Rock Follies'.

10. More of it, all very clear lady voices. Alas, I’m not au courant with the current singers so again no idea. But a very good innings.

This is from a folk supergroup thing put together to promote the Cecil Sharp Society's collection of English Folk Tunes being made available online. The album is called The Full English and features Nancy Kerr, Seth Lakeman, Martin Simpson and others. This is a disguised clue to the location of your mixer as it is a setting of the poem 'Linden Lea', written by Dorset's William Barnes.

11. Don’t cry? Ballad type with strings and a [male] singer for a change. Good but not special.

This is Mark Nevin, songwriter of Fairground Attraction, Sweetmouth and one-time Morrissey collaborator. This is 'Broken By A Breeze', intended for the second FA album, then recorded by Sweetmouth, and here by it's writer from his solo record Beatiful Guitars. (There's also a live version by Fairground Attraction sung by Eddi Reader.)

12. This I like better and it’s a little more Country. Oh, and another lady. Really good.

Kath Bloom - a somewhat lost singer from the 80s until this song featured in the film 'Before Sunrise'. It's called 'Fall Again'. I only have a compilation called Finally

13. Wait, wait! This is my favourite Beatle George. Isn’t it a pity!!! Yeah!!!

Indeed, this is 'Isn't It A Pity', by Jonathan Wilson, briefly lauded LA musician from a few years ago (2012!). This cover features Graham Nash on the backing vocals.

14. Instrumental and what sounds like another film theme. Rich on the orchestra. OK.

'Not Going Home Anymore' by Burt Bacharach - and you state correctly that it's another film piece. From Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid.

15. It’s not him but it sounds like a song Lee Hazlewood could do. Sounds American too.

This is The Bloomfields, with your second song called 'The Loner', this one from the film 'Bloomfield', circa 1971. The Bloomfields were Maurice Gibb and his brother in law. Someday I hope someone will release Maurice's small catalogue of solo work from the period before the Bee Gees reunited.

I played this disc many times with long intervals in between. Lord, I had it long enough. It’s very good overall, thank you mixer.
Did I mention the Mrs played it 6 times in a row once? ;-)

You did. I'm glad you both enjoyed it.

1. Love In The Open Air (From ‘The Family Way OST’) - George Martin Orchestra
2. Run of The Mill - The Magnetic North
3. Sign On The Cross - Coulson, Dean, McGuinness & Flint
4. All The Money - Bobby Charles
5. Water, Paper & Clay - Mary Hopkin
6. The Loner (Theme from the TV Series ‘Budgie’) - Milton Hunter Orchestra
7. Ticket On A Ferry Ride - The Monkees
8. Roll Back The Time - Jim Sullivan
9. If I Had My Time Again - Julie Covington
10. Linden Lea - The Full English
11. Broken By A Breeze - Mark Nevin
12. Fall Again - Kath Bloom
13. Isn’t It A Pity? - Jonathan Wilson feat Graham Nash
14. Not Goin’ Home Anymore (from the ‘Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid OST’) - Burt Bacharach
15. The Loner (from ‘The Bloomfields’ OST) - The Bloomfields (Maurice Gibb)
@hewsim

Jug Band Music
my own music

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 14 Apr 2017, 16:43

Wow! A lot of unexpected names here (and yes, most I haven't heard before).

I should be ashamed that I didn't recognize Bobby Charles as I have and treasure the album in question.

McGuiness Flint: I should look up that covers album.

Ah, one learns every day.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 15 Apr 2017, 21:35

The Fish wrote:Disc from Yves this month (well hardly this month but you now what I mean)

1.I know I sometimes complain about things sounding somewhat generic, an accusation I could level here. But that’s the nature of the Blue sometimes and this guy can certainly play so no real complaints and what’s not to like.
2. One could say the same here, but this is definitely in my comfort zone so whilst not totally leaping out at me, I’m sure I could enjoy this in the context of an album.
3. This one is making me sit up and take notice a bit more. Lovely female vocals. A winner.
4.This one starts out great, a terrific southern funk stew somewhere between Little Feat nd The Meters. The vocalist however is that female blues belter style I always struggle with (The aforementioned Feat being case in point – Never could get with Shaun Murphy) Like this well enough but struggling to get past the vocals.
5. This one is terrific. Vocals have that “throaty” sound like Andy Fairweather Low or Willy DeVille, complete with added bonus of honking sax. Great stuff.
6. Raw, rough, down, dirty. Yes please.
7. For some reason I’m sure I know this as a Ricky Skaggs song, so I’m sure I must have a version somewhere. Again right in my zone.
8. …as is this. Soon as I hear a country fiddle I’m hooked.
9.Shades of Eddie Hinton and that whole country soul thing. You know I’m going to love this right?
10.Totally love this. The voice with all its imperfections is great.
11. Much like track 2 not wowing me but I could probably stand to hear more before passing final judgment. In my zone for sure, but it’s getting a bit crowded in there and you have to fight for your space.
12. The song itself is quite slght but none the worse for it. Again not necessarily a wower but this could definitely be a grower.
13. Nice enough but Little eat own this and there’s already been one decent cover by The Byrds, so I have limited interest in the bronze medal race,
14, Great funky backing, but the song really only takes off when the singer hits falsetto mode. Great in parts.

Pretty enjoyable ad I'm sure aprt from the surefire winners a lot of the rest will grow on me once it's on my radar (You were right about Mandolin Orange). Thanks Yves

01. It’s our very own Keef with the title track from his latest solo album Crosseyed Heart. However, beware the rest of the album is nothing like this.
02. A trio without a drummer called The Devil Makes 3. I can see you liking this.
03. Willy Vlautin’s ‘new’ band The Delines. This song comes off a tour only CD and vocalist Amy Boone certainly is a discovery.
04. You’re right about the Soul stew and this is a Bonnie Bramlett solo without Delaney.
05. A five track only EP from Jessica Lee Wilkes, wife of JD Wilkes leader of the Dirt Daubers and the Legendary Shack Shakers. A worthwhile little gem this.
06. Best known for his many years in Sea Level. Made several solo LP’s over the years. Randall Bramblett off his latest Devil Music. Highly recommended.
07. An oldie from 1971 and one I’m sure you have. Albert Lee’s Heads, Hands and Feet.
08. And another from 1973. Little known Dutch band CCC Inc. They didn’t do much more.
09. My absolute favourite from last year Anderson East. This song is not on his album Delilah but comes from a compilation called American Family.
10. A more recent discovery Jonah Tolchin. Recorded at Muscle Shoals and very recommended.
11. A very Country effort by newcomer Paul Cauthen. Good enough if you like this sort of thing.
12. For a short while in 1968/69 Bobby Darin became Bob Darin and recorded this album Commitment. It’s way too expensive now to buy and so far I’ve found three of the songs on various compilations. This is one and I wish I could find more.
13. Fair enough comment. It’s a version by Kelly Willis and Jay Farrar.
14. I like the song but know nothing about the artist. Found it on an obscure comp. Bobby Powell.
Well Paul, I hope you found something worthwhile to investigate further.

Keith Richards – Crosseyed heart
Devil makes 3 – Drunken hearted man
Delines – Sirens in the night
Bonnie Bramlett – Your kind of kindness
Jessica Lee Wilkes – Love like crazy
Randall Bramblett – Dead in the water
Heads Hands & Feet – Country boy
CCC Inc – Castle in Spain
Anderson East – Learning
Jonah Tolchin – Beauty in the ugliest of days
Paul Cauthen – Still drivin’
Bob Darin – The harvest
Kelly Willis & Jay Farrar – Truckstop country
Bobby Powell – Thank you

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 16 Apr 2017, 18:04

Thanks Yves. I have the Devil Makes 3 albums, but recentish purchases so perhaps not instantly recognisable. I also have a Bonnie Bramlett album. Anderson East has been on my radar as one of those albums that keep cropping up on those "customers who bought ..... also bought this" lists on Amazon. Despte reservations over the song choice I already love both Kelly Willis and Jay Farrar and I'll certainly be investigatng Jonah Tolchin.
We're way past rhubarb

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 16 Apr 2017, 21:31

The Fish wrote:Thanks Yves. I have the Devil Makes 3 albums, but recentish purchases so perhaps not instantly recognisable. I also have a Bonnie Bramlett album. Anderson East has been on my radar as one of those albums that keep cropping up on those "customers who bought ..... also bought this" lists on Amazon. Despte reservations over the song choice I already love both Kelly Willis and Jay Farrar and I'll certainly be investigatng Jonah Tolchin.

Great, Paul. You really should go for Anderson East and Jonah Tolchin.

Return to “Mix Club”