February 2016 Reviews

Exchange mix CDs with each other.
Nick Danger

February 2016 Reviews

Postby Nick Danger » 09 Mar 2016, 04:02

The mix I received this month was entertaining, creative, and introduced me to music I wasn't familiar with and that's pretty much what I'm looking for in a mix. Good job.

1. This is a great start. I'm guessing this is Goldfrapp. I've only heard a little of her music before but she's an exceptional singer. I don't think she is very well known at all in the U.S. Maybe in the EDM realm. I don't get there much.
2. This one has atmosphere too. Upfront percussion and bass, a calm female vocal back in the mix. I can feel my blood pressure dropping when I play this. Very pleasant if not too dynamic.
3. A nice transition to this. A characteristic of the entire mix is the excellent sequencing. It has a nice flow. This one builds with more instruments as it goes. I feel like I'm on a sonic journey. The vocal choir effect is nice. The layering keeps my interest.
4. I would guess that this is Kate Bush but I could very well be wrong. Nice instrumentation and atmospheric production. I was almost totally unfamiliar with her until I downloaded the bootleg I sent my mixer of one of her 2014 Hammersmith shows. She is also not very well known in these parts. I like this.
5. This one was fun but not as appealing as the first four. The electronica touches are nice but the 80's dense production is always a challenge for me. It proved to be a grower on repeated listens.
6. Drony, energetic and modern sounding. I don't own much music like this but I like this cut. This is what I imagine when I hear the term post punk or maybe British alternative. It has punk elements but done with more finesse and production. This is very good.
7. And now we go right into authentic basic punk. It sounds like a vintage British punk song but the production may be too good. I'm guessing it's retro. Whatever it is I like it. I'm a punk fan but it tends to be song specific for me and this one hits the spot.
8. This is undeniably Bowie but I don't think I own it. My collection doesn't have anything past Lodger. It does sound a little familiar. Was this a single? I was so saddened by his recent passing and have been revisiting a lot of the early stuff. I've really enjoyed listening to that acoustic bootleg that I also sent my mixer. He was truly one of a kind. Thanks for including this. As with a lot of his songs the lyrics are fairly impenetrable to me but it invokes a feeling.
9. I like this too. I feel a Bowie influence on this. Interesting guitar solo contrasting with the breathy vocal.
10. I don't listen to many things like this. It sounds modern. When I say modern you gotta understand that to me that means anytime in the last 25 years. Tasteful guitar with the vocals a little far back in the mix but it well played and well produced.
11. This is not as enjoyable to me as most of the mix but that's more a testament to how good the overall mix is. The drums are a little too upfront. I think I would enjoy the female vocalist more if she were a little more prominent.
12. This one really shows your creativity. I like putting stuff out of left field as a capper on my mixes too. For the other readers this is a Peter and the Wolf narrative complete with full symphonic accompaniment. Bravo. A nice way to finish it. Mix Club needs more bassoon and oboe!

Thanks so much for this, very enjoyable. I'm really looking forward to the reveal and I'm sure I'll be buying some new cds.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Re: February 2016 Reviews

Postby Minnie the Minx » 13 Mar 2016, 14:06

I was your mixer Nick! Been completely busy past two weeks but I will try and get the reveals to you asap!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 17 Mar 2016, 14:22

1. This is a great start. I'm guessing this is Goldfrapp. I've only heard a little of her music before but she's an exceptional singer. I don't think she is very well known at all in the U.S. Maybe in the EDM realm. I don't get there much.

Ha! No, not Goldfrapp, but Julia Holter, and 'Feel You' from her amazing album 'Have You In My Wilderness' - she's Californian I think. I had never heard of her, and then Baron got me this for my birthday and I was surprised at how much I liked it.

2. This one has atmosphere too. Upfront percussion and bass, a calm female vocal back in the mix. I can feel my blood pressure dropping when I play this. Very pleasant if not too dynamic.

Great innit? This is Lali Puna who are German ( I think) and 'Bi-Pet'

3. A nice transition to this. A characteristic of the entire mix is the excellent sequencing. It has a nice flow. This one builds with more instruments as it goes. I feel like I'm on a sonic journey. The vocal choir effect is nice. The layering keeps my interest.

This is Lemon Jelly and '76 AKA The Slow Train' from '64-95'. I hadn't listened to this album in about ten years until recently as I had sort of come to the conclusion that they tried too hard. I've got a much more tolerant ear at the moment and I thought it sounded great.

4. I would guess that this is Kate Bush but I could very well be wrong. Nice instrumentation and atmospheric production. I was almost totally unfamiliar with her until I downloaded the bootleg I sent my mixer of one of her 2014 Hammersmith shows. She is also not very well known in these parts. I like this.

You're a little way off the mark :D This is Madonna and 'Sky Hits Heaven' from 'Ray of Light'.

5. This one was fun but not as appealing as the first four. The electronica touches are nice but the 80's dense production is always a challenge for me. It proved to be a grower on repeated listens.

This is Mark Ronson's cover of 'Pretty Green' from 'Version' which is a belting album. It does sound a little tinny actually, although I think it is sweetly cheeky.

6. Drony, energetic and modern sounding. I don't own much music like this but I like this cut. This is what I imagine when I hear the term post punk or maybe British alternative. It has punk elements but done with more finesse and production. This is very good.

Yes this is Maximo Park, and 'Going Missing'. They had two blinding albums and then sort of went off the radar, I really don't know what happened there. This is from 'A Certain Trigger'.

7. And now we go right into authentic basic punk. It sounds like a vintage British punk song but the production may be too good. I'm guessing it's retro. Whatever it is I like it. I'm a punk fan but it tends to be song specific for me and this one hits the spot.

It doesn't get much better than this! This is 999 and 'Let's Face It'. Still sounding fresh as a daisy.

8. This is undeniably Bowie but I don't think I own it. My collection doesn't have anything past Lodger. It does sound a little familiar. Was this a single? I was so saddened by his recent passing and have been revisiting a lot of the early stuff. I've really enjoyed listening to that acoustic bootleg that I also sent my mixer. He was truly one of a kind. Thanks for including this. As with a lot of his songs the lyrics are fairly impenetrable to me but it invokes a feeling.

Yes - the Dame :( This is 'New Killer Star' from Reality, which really is a fine abum.

9. I like this too. I feel a Bowie influence on this. Interesting guitar solo contrasting with the breathy vocal.

This is Eric Matthews and 'My Morning Parade' .It really is a lovely album although it gets a bit sappy towards the end.

10. I don't listen to many things like this. It sounds modern. When I say modern you gotta understand that to me that means anytime in the last 25 years. Tasteful guitar with the vocals a little far back in the mix but it well played and well produced.

Luna and 'Kalamazoo' from Penthouse. It was released in 1995 so it's 21 years old!

11. This is not as enjoyable to me as most of the mix but that's more a testament to how good the overall mix is. The drums are a little too upfront. I think I would enjoy the female vocalist more if she were a little more prominent.

Yeah, this is 'Becalmed' by Viv Albertine, from 'The Vermillion Border'. She doesn't have the strongest voice, but I kind of like that effect on this in particular.

12. This one really shows your creativity. I like putting stuff out of left field as a capper on my mixes too. For the other readers this is a Peter and the Wolf narrative complete with full symphonic accompaniment. Bravo. A nice way to finish it. Mix Club needs more bassoon and oboe!

This is the Dame again, narrating Peter and the Wolf. 'The Procession to the Zoo'. I always play this on New Year's Day and had just bought my first vinyl copy the day before he died. Bless his heart.

I'm glad you liked this mix in the main! It was fun to make!

Cheers!

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

whodathunkit

Postby whodathunkit » 22 Mar 2016, 10:02

Excellent mix this month.....er, quarter.....whatever. Not a duff track on it.

1.Funky little starter. Touch of the Lee Dorseys. Short and very sweet.
2. Always nice when a mix throws up something that you know well but haven't heard for a long time. The magnificent "Since I Lost My Baby" by the Temps. Like all the great pop records , you feel that every note is the only note that could possibly follow the one before. Perfection.
3. Lady Day. And how nice to hear some life-affirming 30s/40s Billie rather than the usual ghoulish pre-occupation with the heroin-raddled couldn't-hold-a-note Billie of the 50s. I'm guessing the band is Fletcher Henderson.
4. A live one. Southern white country soul boys duetting. Nice song. Familiar voices but I cant place either one.
5. Same sort of area. Live again. Some fantastic playing leads into a killer version of Blind Willie's "Cant Keep From Crying Sometimes". This one's a keeper.
6. Smoochy soul burner.A female voice that goes from a whisper to a scream within the same line. A pretty average song made into something special by a great performance.
7. Need a lie down after that one and this a good contrast. A nice bit of 60s vanilla pop which is always a guilty pleasure for me.
8. Sandy Denny singing "3.10 To Yuma", an unusual choice for her. Think it was on the box set. Not top notch Sandy but still better than most.
9. Surf-guitar instrumental. Probably called "Totem Pole" or "Boomerang" or some such. What's not to like?
10. More Tamla magic. Smokey and "More Love". Yes please.
11. Pleasant countryish folksey number. Lots of American references but the voice sounds a bit English.
12. Hiss, piano and sax. Could be pre-bop Parker. Im just getting into it and it stops. Shame.
13. Starts with one of pop's great cliches- rain/storm effects. Your average teen garage ballad saved by some lovely spooky organ.
14. This one took me back. "Stranger On The Shore". If I suffered from synaesthesia I'd be getting the aroma of my childhood front room right now, leatherette and Windolene. To be honest I was heartily sick of this rather mawkish tune at the time but nowadays nostalgia holds sway. :D
15. "Hello In There" - John Prine. Any Prine will do but this is particularly nice. Lovely way to finish.

Many thanks for this. Got quite a bit of gardening (ie. labouring) done to this over the last few weeks. Looking forward to the reveal.

Nick Danger

Postby Nick Danger » 23 Mar 2016, 13:06

whodathunkit wrote:Excellent mix this month.....er, quarter.....whatever. Not a duff track on it.

I was your mixer for this cycle W. Mixing for you can be a little daunting but I know you're receptive to my American, pre 1978 eclecticism.

1.Funky little starter. Touch of the Lee Dorseys. Short and very sweet.

You're right, it's Lee Dorsey with When The Bills Paid off his 1970 album Yes We Can. The writer, producer, and keyboard player is Toussaint and the band is the Meters.

2. Always nice when a mix throws up something that you know well but haven't heard for a long time. The magnificent "Since I Lost My Baby" by the Temps. Like all the great pop records , you feel that every note is the only note that could possibly follow the one before. Perfection.

Yep

3. Lady Day. And how nice to hear some life-affirming 30s/40s Billie rather than the usual ghoulish pre-occupation with the heroin-raddled couldn't-hold-a-note Billie of the 50s. I'm guessing the band is Fletcher Henderson.

It's 1935 Billie. The band is Teddy Wilson's with Lester Young on sax.

4. A live one. Southern white country soul boys duetting. Nice song. Familiar voices but I cant place either one.

Los Lobos with a live bootleg cut of the Tears Of God. I like this version better than the studio cut.

5. Same sort of area. Live again. Some fantastic playing leads into a killer version of Blind Willie's "Cant Keep From Crying Sometimes". This one's a keeper.

This is Al Kooper with his 60's band The Blues Project.

6. Smoochy soul burner.A female voice that goes from a whisper to a scream within the same line. A pretty average song made into something special by a great performance.

Soul songstress extraordinaire Irma Thomas - what a voice!

7. Need a lie down after that one and this a good contrast. A nice bit of 60s vanilla pop which is always a guilty pleasure for me.

This is the U.S. 60's band The Buckinghams with one of their 4 or 5 hits.

8. Sandy Denny singing "3.10 To Yuma", an unusual choice for her. Think it was on the box set. Not top notch Sandy but still better than most.

Early mid sixties Sandy.

9. Surf-guitar instrumental. Probably called "Totem Pole" or "Boomerang" or some such. What's not to like?

This is called Pipeline and it's by the Chantays. This is the best surf instrumental ever in my book.

10. More Tamla magic. Smokey and "More Love". Yes please.

It's one of Smokey and the Miracles lesser known hits here in the States but a favorite of mine.

11. Pleasant countryish folksey number. Lots of American references but the voice sounds a bit English.

This is underknown and underrated Tex Mex artist Tish Hinojosa. She recorded several fine tracks in both English and Spanish.

12. Hiss, piano and sax. Could be pre-bop Parker. Im just getting into it and it stops. Shame.

Yep, it's pre-bop and some would say more accessible Parker. I agree it is too short.

13. Starts with one of pop's great cliches- rain/storm effects. Your average teen garage ballad saved by some lovely spooky organ.

This is an obscure song by an obscure band. As far as I can tell this represents their entire discography. I got it off a garage comp. I've always thought it had an appealing charm.

14. This one took me back. "Stranger On The Shore". If I suffered from synaesthesia I'd be getting the aroma of my childhood front room right now, leatherette and Windolene. To be honest I was heartily sick of this rather mawkish tune at the time but nowadays nostalgia holds sway.
:D
I've been wanting to use this on a mix and I thought you might be the most receptive. It's been an earworm lately. I find myself whistling the melody randomly.

15. "Hello In There" - John Prine. Any Prine will do but this is particularly nice. Lovely way to finish.

This is a young, pre record contract Prine who took a Chicago radio station up on their offer to let him put a few of his songs on tape. Just him, his guitar, one take, no production frills. As good as this track is on his debut album I like this version even better. I think his guitar playing sounds really nice on this.

Many thanks for this. Got quite a bit of gardening (ie. labouring) done to this over the last few weeks. Looking forward to the reveal.

I'm glad you enjoyed this. It was a lot of fun to make.

Tracklist -

1. When The Bills Paid - Lee Dorsey
2. Since I Lost My Baby - The Temptations
3. If You Were Mine - Billie Holiday
4. Tears Of God - Los Lobos
5. I Can't Keep From Crying - The Blues Project (Al Kooper)
6. Yours Until Tomorrow - Irma Thomas
7. Don't You Care - The Buckinghams
8. 3:10 To Yuma - Sandy Denny
9. Pipeline - The Chantays
10. More Love - Smokey Robinson and the Miracles
11. Crazy Wind And Flashing Yellows - Tish Hinojosa
12. Embraceable You - Charlie Parker
13. Sometimes - The Zoo
14. Stranger On The Shore - Acker Bilk
15. Hello In There - John Prine

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 26 Mar 2016, 03:28

I got my disc!
And for reasons I won't bore you with, I already know the sender - anyhoo, onwards

1. You can't mistake the voices in this one - this is Squeeze, surely? But I've never heard this track before. Love it though,evocative and reminds me of lazy Summer evenings driving through Brighton. Marvelous.

2. This is awfully eighties, almost Scritti Politti like, but much softer and less funky. I have no objection to it, but I think it's a little weak as a song.

3. I recognise this as being something vaguely 50's chantreuseish, but I don't recognise this singer at all. I like it, nice change of pace and the guitar sounds sweet on the headphones.

4. Something Brazilian I think? And very nice too. I like the way this disc is going.

5. And another shift of gears into something punky/post punky, I'm guessing American, though I am not sure what at all - in fact I can't tell if this is a young boy singing or girl. Either way, I like it.

6. Well I'm not at all sure who this is. Is it the JoBoxers? I don't object to this kind of stuff really, but it seems a weak example of the genre, just not very strong song.

7. Not sure if this is genuine 1960's or retro, but it seems to be a song about the High View Motel and it's pretty good!

8. This is a slower vaguely Americana type goth song that is just about my idea of hell on earth. Sorry Paul!

9. This sounds very much like Feist, who I like a lot, although I don't know this tune at all. Very nice.

10. Ooh I know this! Isn't this Regina Spektor? I like this a lot. She sounds a lot like that whatsiname who sang at the Bowie tribute.

11. This is sweet, and I also like the lyrics - I enjoyed listening to where the story was going. I have no idea who this could be!

12. Oh god, this is one of the worst songs I have ever heard. I had to stop it then start it again just to make sure I was right. Really appalling.

13. Ha ha ha! You've obviously been following our partying with Jon Langford debacles...

14. I like this a lot, but have no idea who it might be - it almost sounds like The Divine Comedy?

15. Oh my, this is lovely. Sounds almost Nick Drakeish, but with an added pedal steel - lovely

16. Ah this is fabulous. Strings and crooning, love hearing those chord change slides...great stuff

17. Hmmm, not too sure about this. A duet that sounds a bit too contrived, like a poor Dean and Britta. Not my bag.

Hey Fish! Thanks so much for this. It was certainly more hit than miss, and I especially like the sequencing and I am going to be very interested to see the reveal!

Dr Markus wrote:

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 26 Mar 2016, 11:47

Minnie the Minx wrote:I got my disc!
And for reasons I won't bore you with, I already know the sender - anyhoo, onwards

Well quite pleased to come out of this one relatively unscathed. The disc was put together with you in mind with things I thought you might like but past experience has taught me that your tastes beyond what I know can be difficult to predict and when yiou hate something you REALLY hate it :D

1. You can't mistake the voices in this one - this is Squeeze, surely? But I've never heard this track before. Love it though,evocative and reminds me of lazy Summer evenings driving through Brighton. Marvelous.

Figured I was on safe ground with this as an opener. Who doesn't like Squeeze? This is actually from their album of last year and as has been mentioned on BCB it is a cracking return to form.

2. This is awfully eighties, almost Scritti Politti like, but much softer and less funky. I have no objection to it, but I think it's a little weak as a song.

Later than that. The Pains of Being Pure At Heart

3. I recognise this as being something vaguely 50's chantreuseish, but I don't recognise this singer at all. I like it, nice change of pace and the guitar sounds sweet on the headphones.

Is that Green chantreuseish ? :oops: :oops: You'd be right with regards the original which I think was Connie Francis, however it is actually John Grant singing with his former band The Czars. This is from an album of cover versions mostly unchanged lyrically from the original female sung versions so they become gay love songs, and why not.

4. Something Brazilian I think? And very nice too. I like the way this disc is going.

The original queen of Braziliana Gal Costa from one of her later albums

5. And another shift of gears into something punky/post punky, I'm guessing American, though I am not sure what at all - in fact I can't tell if this is a young boy singing or girl. Either way, I like it.

Figured this would be up your street. The singer is Kim Shattuck. Actually that still doesn't answer your question does it? It's a girl. The band is The Muffs and I'd recommend further investigation if you like this

6. Well I'm not at all sure who this is. Is it the JoBoxers? I don't object to this kind of stuff really, but it seems a weak example of the genre, just not very strong song.

The band is from Philadelphia and called Literature

7. Not sure if this is genuine 1960's or retro, but it seems to be a song about the High View Motel and it's pretty good!

From my BCB cup list this year. Lilys

8. This is a slower vaguely Americana type goth song that is just about my idea of hell on earth. Sorry Paul!

Former LOve And Money singer James Grant

9. This sounds very much like Feist, who I like a lot, although I don't know this tune at all. Very nice.

One of my favourite albums from last year, Lanterns On The Lake

10. Ooh I know this! Isn't this Regina Spektor? I like this a lot. She sounds a lot like that whatsiname who sang at the Bowie tribute.

It is indeed Regina Spektor

11. This is sweet, and I also like the lyrics - I enjoyed listening to where the story was going. I have no idea who this could be!

Another great album fro last year was by Father John Misty although this comes from his first album

12. Oh god, this is one of the worst songs I have ever heard. I had to stop it then start it again just to make sure I was right. Really appalling.

I figured you'd hate at least one track on here but my money would not have been on this. I love this for the same reasons I love Rufus Wainwright but obviously you're not hearing it. Even Johansen, a Norwegian who sins with a couple of bands and records solo under the name of Magnet

13. Ha ha ha! You've obviously been following our partying with Jon Langford debacles...

Another one from this year's BCB cup list

14. I like this a lot, but have no idea who it might be - it almost sounds like The Divine Comedy?

It should sound more than almost sounding like The Divine Comedy as it is The Divine Comedy. Thought this might be a risky one as I know your twee buttons are easy to press. In truth some of their jollier stuff like National Express only just gets past my twee sensors, but this early album A Short Album About Love is an absolute joy

15. Oh my, this is lovely. Sounds almost Nick Drakeish, but with an added pedal steel - lovely

This is Steve Ward, former singer and songwriter with the band Cherry Twister who were pretty much mainstream power pop. I used this before on a mix and described it then as Imagine Art Garfunkel singing Nick Drake so I'm glad you picked up on the Nick Drake vibe

16. Ah this is fabulous. Strings and crooning, love hearing those chord change slides...great stuff

Thought you might know the voice. It's The Blue Nile. Everyone will tell you that their second album Hats is their masterpiece. I am in a minority of one it seems in preferring this album Peace At Last. Much as I do love Hats for me they broke new ground here adding guitars and making the sound more organic. It just breathes more. If you like this try listening to Family Life without ending up in bits.

17. Hmmm, not too sure about this. A duet that sounds a bit too contrived, like a poor Dean and Britta. Not my bag.

Another artist from the cup but a different track. I only heard this band for the first time last year and have bought everything available. Canadian electronic chamber pop from Stars. I love then, no one else does, I don;t care

Hey Fish! Thanks so much for this. It was certainly more hit than miss, and I especially like the sequencing and I am going to be very interested to see the reveal!

You're welcome. As I say I'm more than happy with the outcome. I still remember a previous disc I sent where even in advance of the review you felt obliged to post how much you hated one particular track and then came back later in the day to post something along the lines of - I was wrong when I said I hate it, I Fucking hate it :D The counseling has been going quite well so thank you for not pushing me back over the edge :D

1. Squeeze - Happy Days
2. The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart - Falling Over
3. The Czars - Where The Boys Are
4. Gal Costa - Mar E Sol
5. The Muffs - Paint By Numbers
6. Literatue - Lily
7. Lilys - Dimes Make Dollars
8. James Grant - The Hallowing Touch
9. Lanterns On The Lake - Send Me Home
10. Regina Spektor - Us
11. Father John Misty - Only Son Of The Ladiesman
12. Magnet - Private Jinx
13. The Mekons - I Can't Find My Money
14. The Divine Comedy - In Pursuit of Happiness
15. Steve Ward - Flow
16. The Blue Nile - Tomorrow Morning
17. Stars - Well

I believe I am last to review. I have a quiz to set over the weekend, but will post review early part of next week.
We're way past rhubarb

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 28 Mar 2016, 22:48

Ha ha! Thanks Paul. I will certainly be exploring further on the back of some of that lot!

Dr Markus wrote:

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 31 Mar 2016, 15:31

Disc from Whodathunkit, who pretty much knows what I like by now......

1. Yes I am old enough to remember this. Thanks for reminding me.
2. Cheesy vocal harmony sunshine pop. Screams slacks, turtle necks and bad haircuts, but what the hell it’s great of course.
3. Blues like it oughta sound. Lightnin’ Slim. Way above the mass of generic blues out there. Up there with Wolf and Elmore in my book.
4. Now I’ve heard this before and I know it is some kind of lost soul classic but I’m failing to place it. Top notch stuff but I need putting out of my misery (not inb the “trip to the vet” sense :D )
5. The voice is so distinctive I really should know who this is although I keep thinking it sounds like Randy Newman’s granddad. Has that feel of one of Randy’s New Orleans infused ballads, shich is of course no bad thing.
6. I find there’s usually a grower on most discs I get. I wasn’t sure about this at first. Starts like it’s going to be some trip hop chill vibe thing and then the first few bars of the vocal sound like some horrible hippy prog nonsense, but this slowly reeled me in and developed well as a song, ending up a lot better than the sum of its parts
7. I’ve never even actually owned a copy of Tapestry. Just somehow never got round to it, so never really explored Carole King that much. Nothing to dislike at all here of course. Sounds like an old friend come to visit. In the greater scheme of things I’d certainly put her below Joni and Laura, but her place in the top tier is pretty much assured if only for Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow.
8. The way this started I figured I owned it somewhere as I have that whole Fleet Foxes/Bon Iver/Low Anthem/Iron and Wine stuff covered. This took a bit of a turn and rocked out a bit in the middle without straying too far from that template.
9. Wonderful guitar instrumental version of Summertime.
10. This has the feel of the old ballad tradition as featured on Lomax recordings by Almeida Riddle and others, but something suggest a more “patinated” modern recording not that that offends any sense of authenticity on my part. I like this although the constant jew’s harp (or whatever the PC brigade dictate we must call it these days) does grate after a while.
11. “Newgrass” Dillards/John Hartford/Old And In The Way feel. Great stuff
12. I sometimes fail to recognize relatively well known things I own. Other times I’m singing the first line of a relative obscurity after a couple of seconds. Here I was singing Phone call took me surprise, before working out it was Nanci Griffith’s Lone Star State of Mind.
13. This sounds like some topical song written to order. Stock in trade for gobshites like Richard Stillgoe. Having a way with words does not a lyricist make. Too contrived by half and too clever for its own good, not helped by having a tune thrown at it and dressed up in a horrible cod calypso arrangement. I’ll pass on this one.
14. Female blues. Not much to say on this other than it’s old it’s real and it’s great of course.
15. One of the top notch gospel groups doing what the top notch gospel groups do best.
16. More gospel. The purists of course may object to the production here. Bass drum miked up to the hilt and handclaps multi tracked layer upon layer, But I love the way it adds a real snap to the beat. Terrific.
17. As with 14 I’m going with old, real and great again.
18. This has to be Bob Wills, but not it seems with regular singer Tommy Duncan. If I were stranded on a desert island tomorrow and allowed the collected recordings of just one artist, I’d probably go with Bob Wills and just hope my island is far enough away from the neighbouring shipwrecked sheep and their David Bowie.

Thanks Bob. I score that 17/18
We're way past rhubarb

whodathunkit

Postby whodathunkit » 01 Apr 2016, 23:04

The Fish wrote:Disc from Whodathunkit, who pretty much knows what I like by now......

1. Yes I am old enough to remember this. Thanks for reminding me.

If you're sitting comfortably..........

2. Cheesy vocal harmony sunshine pop. Screams slacks, turtle necks and bad haircuts, but what the hell it’s great of course.

Two early 60s close harmony white bread quartets for the price of one, the Kirby Stone Four and the Tokens, collectively known as the United States Double Quartet. "Life Is Groovy". A guilty pleasure certainly but catchy as fuck.

3. Blues like it oughta sound. Lightnin’ Slim. Way above the mass of generic blues out there. Up there with Wolf and Elmore in my book.

"Rooster Blues".56 years old and could have been made this morning,

4. Now I’ve heard this before and I know it is some kind of lost soul classic but I’m failing to place it. Top notch stuff but I need putting out of my misery (not inb the “trip to the vet” sense :D )

Every BCB cup somebody picks a Barbara Acklin track and I promise myself to dig out more of her stuff. Finally getting round to it."Love Makes A Woman".

5. The voice is so distinctive I really should know who this is although I keep thinking it sounds like Randy Newman’s granddad. Has that feel of one of Randy’s New Orleans infused ballads, shich is of course no bad thing.

Well it's one of Randys, "King Fish" but covered by Levon Helm on his 2009 album,Electric Dirt. Good as they were I would swop the Bands entire output for any of Levon's solo efforts.

6. I find there’s usually a grower on most discs I get. I wasn’t sure about this at first. Starts like it’s going to be some trip hop chill vibe thing and then the first few bars of the vocal sound like some horrible hippy prog nonsense, but this slowly reeled me in and developed well as a song, ending up a lot better than the sum of its parts

A band whose albums I always listen out for (and God knows there aren't many of those left),Shearwater from Austin, T. This is "Backchannels" from their latestJet Plane and Oxbow,

7. I’ve never even actually owned a copy of Tapestry. Just somehow never got round to it, so never really explored Carole King that much. Nothing to dislike at all here of course. Sounds like an old friend come to visit. In the greater scheme of things I’d certainly put her below Joni and Laura, but her place in the top tier is pretty much assured if only for Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow.

Found this, "It's Gonna Take Some Time" on a Lou Adler compilation. Dunno which of her albums it's from but it's made me want to find out. I also avoided Tapestry. It became one of those ubiquitous albums for people who don't really like music (see also Brothers in Arms, Diamond Life, etc.]

8. The way this started I figured I owned it somewhere as I have that whole Fleet Foxes/Bon Iver/Low Anthem/Iron and Wine stuff covered. This took a bit of a turn and rocked out a bit in the middle without straying too far from that template.

Another rarity. An album from a couple of years ago that I still listen to.Matthew Houck from Athens, Georgia aka. Phosphorescent and "A Charm/A Blade" from his 2013 album,Muchacho

9. Wonderful guitar instrumental version of Summertime.

Santo and Johnny of "Sleepwalk" fame.

10. This has the feel of the old ballad tradition as featured on Lomax recordings by Almeida Riddle and others, but something suggest a more “patinated” modern recording not that that offends any sense of authenticity on my part. I like this although the constant jew’s harp (or whatever the PC brigade dictate we must call it these days) does grate after a while.

A favourite album from my younger days which, thanks to the internet( ;) ) I'm getting re-acquainted with - Buffy St Marie's Many A Mile".. The track is "Groundhog" and neither Jews nor Jaws need be offended cos it's a Mouth Bow.

11. “Newgrass” Dillards/John Hartford/Old And In The Way feel. Great stuff

"Deep Well Of Sadness" from one of my fave Bluegrass albums (not that I know too many) Jim Lauderdale and Ralph Stanley's Lost In The Lonesome Pines

12. I sometimes fail to recognize relatively well known things I own. Other times I’m singing the first line of a relative obscurity after a couple of seconds. Here I was singing Phone call took me surprise, before working out it was Nanci Griffith’s Lone Star State of Mind.

Some years ago, in the ill-fated BCB Country cup, I chose a Nanci Griffiths track to a generally vitriolic reaction from the good old boys..There is a run of 4 or 5 albums of hers from the late 80s that finally converted me to Country.

13. This sounds like some topical song written to order. Stock in trade for gobshites like Richard Stillgoe. Having a way with words does not a lyricist make. Too contrived by half and too clever for its own good, not helped by having a tune thrown at it and dressed up in a horrible cod calypso arrangement. I’ll pass on this one.

"The Ex-Pitmans Pot-Holing Pub Quiz Team" by Jez Lowe - a great favourite of mine. We Will never speak of this again...........except...Richard fucking Stillgoe!!!!!!!!!!! :o :D

14. Female blues. Not much to say on this other than it’s old it’s real and it’s great of course.

Some useful advice from Frankie Jaxon - "You've Got To Wet It".

15. One of the top notch gospel groups doing what the top notch gospel groups do best.

There's always one track on any mix where I think "Well if the bugger doesn't like this one..." Luckily all is well. The Leach Brothers from god knows when and "Call On Jesus".

16. More gospel. The purists of course may object to the production here. Bass drum miked up to the hilt and handclaps multi tracked layer upon layer, But I love the way it adds a real snap to the beat. Terrific.

Interesting (well sort of) mix club coincidence. My mix from Nick Danger this month contained a cover of a Blind Willie Johnson tune and so does mine to you. The wonderful Sinead O'Connor and "Trouble Soon Be Over" from a recent Blind Willie tribute album called God Don't Never Change.

17. As with 14 I’m going with old, real and great again.

I'm a sucker for good tunes by country blues singers with silly names. Little Hat Jones and "Bye Bye Baby",

18. This has to be Bob Wills, but not it seems with regular singer Tommy Duncan. If I were stranded on a desert island tomorrow and allowed the collected recordings of just one artist, I’d probably go with Bob Wills and just hope my island is far enough away from the neighbouring shipwrecked sheep and their David Bowie.

I suppose it would have been appropriate to finish with the last one but there's always room for some Bob. "You're Okay".

The Fish wrote:Thanks Bob. I score that 17/18

A pleasure as always.

1. "Listen With Mother"
2. "Life Is Groovy" - United States Double Quartet
3. "Rooster Blues" - Lightning Slim
4. "Love Makes A Woman" - Barbara Acklin
5. "King Fish" - Levon Helm
6. "Back Channels" - Shearwater
7. "It's Going To Take Some Time" - Carole King
8. "A Charm/A Blade" - Phosphorescent
9. "Summertime" - Santo and Johnny
10. "Groundhog" - Buffy St Marie
11. "Deep Well Of Sadness" - Jim Lauderdale/Ralph Stanley
12. "Lone Star State Of Mind" - Nanci Griffiths
13. "The Ex-Pitmans Pot-Holing Pub Quiz Team" - Jez Lowe
14. "You've Got To Wet It" - Frankie Jaxon
15. "Call On Jesus" - Leach Brothers
16. "Trouble Soon Be Over" - Sinead O'Connor
17. "Bye Bye Baby" - Little Hat Jones
18. "You're Okay" - Bob Wills

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 02 Apr 2016, 00:00

Thanks Bob. I own the Levon Helm of course though not sure I'd take your swap, and probably the Shearwater, who I own a lot by but they seem quite prolific so I'm quite possibly missing one or two. Also I thunk I own all of Phosphorescent apart from that one.
We're way past rhubarb

Return to “Mix Club”