Removing track data on a Mac

Exchange mix CDs with each other.
TG

Removing track data on a Mac

Postby TG » 25 Jun 2015, 14:58

From the April progress thread -
bhoywonder wrote:...this whole business of remove the track data is something I've as yet to figure out on my Mac.

This is how a guy at Apple taught me to do it. It's a bit convoluted but works for the most part. It does seem that if you have album art that it will sneak through and tell the recipient more than you might want him/her to know. Anyway, this is how I do it. There may be easier ways but I've managed to make this work and you may, as well.

1) Right click on your desk top and create a new folder.
2) Name the folder (i.e. - BCB Mix Club/recipient's name)
3) Drag the songs you want into the folder.
4) Open the folder
5) Right click on a song.
6) Click on "Get Info"
7) Change the name in the "Name and Extension" window (Track 1,2,3, etc.) - Do Not Change The Extension (mp3 or mp4 or whatever it is)
8) You can move it into its own playlist in ITunes if you desire or simply use that desktop folder as the link to SendSpace.

That should do it. It changes titles, etc. in that folder only. It won't mess up your ITunes info.

I hope this helps. If not (if I left out a step or something) let me know, but I'm pretty sure that this should do it.

EDIT - I did leave out a step. When done you need to go to File section of the Toolbar and choose "Compress" to create a Zip file. Honestly, though, I think I've not done this and the files got to their destination just fine.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

Underwater
Now more than ever

Re: Removing track data on a Mac

Postby Underwater » 02 Aug 2015, 13:50

By "track data", do you mean IDv3 tags - Artist, Album, Composer, etc.?

If so I'd suggest using my mate Florian's app here. It has a Windows version as well.
Also, a tin teardrop

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 11 Aug 2015, 09:22

TG – I tried that but it didn't work. It edited the track data in all my iTunes files. Maybe I did something wrong. Thanks all the same.

Underwater – thanks, that did the trick perfectly in seconds! I'd recommend this method for other mac users.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 12 Aug 2015, 13:24

My own experience was that TG's suggestion was only partially successful and I generally need to reprocess his upload. It seems to work on some file types only and TG seems to send a mixture. This is another reason why I reprocess as I would prefer for standardisation that all files are MP3.

The method I use on WIndows is I believe foolproof - make a physical CD and then rip this using Windows Media Player and right click and edit all of the relevant fields - Title = folder name e,g MixClubNameDate (obviously recipient name rather than sender name) Track = Track01, Track02 etc (using 01, 02 rather than 1,2 preserves the order when viewed otherwise 10 follows 1), Artist = Unknown Artist.

The point being it is a lot easier to remove the tags as part of the ripping process than after the fact.

Apple users - Please take note of Underwater's and Bhoy's comments above and maybe give this a go if it works,
We're way past rhubarb

TG

Postby TG » 28 Sep 2015, 15:36

Underwater wrote:By "track data", do you mean IDv3 tags - Artist, Album, Composer, etc.?

If so I'd suggest using my mate Florian's app here. It has a Windows version as well.

So I clicked on this link but it leads to one of those pages where there are a dozen or so "CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD...!!!" spots. Which one am I supposed to click on?
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

Return to “Mix Club”