April 2015 Review

Exchange mix CDs with each other.
Oscar
Northern Taoist

April 2015 Review

Postby Oscar » 13 May 2015, 22:19

Didn't know whether to use Minnies thread... it seemed personal and specific so opened this one.

Apologies for how brief this is but I have quite enjoyed playing this and it has had quite a few spins;

1. The Girl Can’t Help It – Little Richard: A universal language.
2. I would describe this as Richard Thompson produced by Daniel Lanois… but I know that it is neither. It’s pleasant with polished production and sounds like a theme to an 80’s RomCom.
3. This sounds very familiar… but I’m sure don’t know who it is. A lovely, bright and breezy “coming out” song.
4. Similar vibe in that it sounds familiar and it is bright and breezy and poppy. It sounds very Richard Hawley.
5. Carpet Crawlers by Mark Kozelek. I really like this.
6. Really sweet… almost too sweet… but the lyrics are really quite engaging.
7. Odd. This reminds me of Randy Newman. I can’t abide Randy Newman but I really like this. Again, very engaging lyrics.
8. Sweet female country folk vocal. There’s so much of this around that it’s become a flooded, over-used niche… but this is quite special. I’m pretty sure I know the artist.
9. The intro was very familiar… I expected something else but couldn’t quite grasp what it reminded me of. Then the vocal bit reminded me of “Baby” by OS Mutantes (English version with Rita Lee)… and then my head couldn’t cope. Nice track but… it mashed my head.
10. Gentle, acoustic ballad. I like the cello. Very relaxing.
11. Fabulous New Orleans RnB. Sounds very familiar. I may be kicking myself again.
12. Lovely Acoustic ballad. Something of the Sufjan in this.
13. The unmistakable Screaming Jay Hawkins… with my signature tune… Baptise me in Wine!
14. Interesting track. Vocals familiar again. Couldn’t quite grasp the chorus but the overall package is quite grand. Symphonic pop splendour.
15. This is someone being “early Dylan”. Intense and evocative.
16. A beautiful slice of opera. It gets a bit Wagnerian at it’s peak but generally sounds a bit too sweet to be Wagner. I’m supposed to be embarking on a Wagner project this year but keep putting it off.
17. A snippet of a symphonic ballad. I thought at first it may be Scott Walker but it isn’t… is it?

whodathunkit

Re: April 2015 Review

Postby whodathunkit » 14 May 2015, 09:46

A little tardy with this one. Have been playing it a lot though. Good to almost the last drop.

1. Starts with a really cool jazz track that goes through all sorts of changes during its five and half minutes. Bit of Basie, bit of Miles, even some Herb Alpert ending up in that familiar "Wade In the Water" groove.
2. One of my JB favourites, "There was a Time", but not the version I know. Less funk and more swing in this. A great find. The horns on this are sensational.
3. Very familiar soul tune (which I can't name :oops: )used here as an organ feature. Short and very sweet.
4. Big sloppy dirty old piece of grinding soul. Have no idea what she's singing about but it hardly matters. Her voice becomes just another instrument in this gorgeous stew of sound. A highlight.
5. 40s-sounding jazz trio work-out.Cools things down nicely after the previous track.
6. Cpt. B and "Click Clack". Spotlight Kid still doesn't get enough love around these parts for me. One of his best.
7. A version of "Bad Boy". Not the Jive Bombers echo-drenched monster but something altogether more relaxed and sweeter.
8. My favourite. Walking bass, bluesy piano and sweeping strings. A bit Twin Peaks and very lovely.
9. Cowbell time. Little bit of mambo extolling the delights of various southern dishes. In and out in 2 minutes and gets the job done.
10. An old mod favourite, "Watch Your Step" by Bobby Parker. I was musing about how this would have sounded in UK clubs back in the early 60s. Max Bygraves and Alma Cogan on the radio in the day and then this when you went out. It must have seemed like a message from another planet. Great track anyway.
11. Some cajun stuff which I like in small doses and this is just enough. Another highlight.
12. Bluesy guitar instrumental. Allman Bros area perhaps? That lovely walking bass crops up again. Loved it.
13. Bit of a Coasters feel to this one, "Is a Bluebird blue? Can a Big Wheel roll?" etc. Good fun.
14. A Costello track that I dont know. I gave up after Mighty Like A Rose. Interesting arrangement and lyrics worth listening to. Makes me wish I'd stayed with him.
15. The only duffer. Probably some giant of the keyboard like Toussaint or Longhair but I'm afraid it has more of the pub knees-up feel about it than a New Orleans club. Even the sax break can't save it. Sorry.
16. Girlie group closer. More grit than sugar which is how I like 'em. "Bye Bye Baby". Back at ya sweetie.

Many thanks for this most excellent mix. I fear the reveal may lead to an outbreak of purchasing but fire away.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 14 May 2015, 13:44

Oscar52 wrote:
This was my doing Lenny. Glad you seem to have enjoyed it.

1. The Girl Can’t Help It – Little Richard: A universal language.

I started the selection by lifting a couple of tracks from the Cosimo Matassa Story box sets. The later Screamin' Jay selection was probably to put something else upbeat on here as the rest of the tracks ended up fairly downbeat in tone.

2. I would describe this as Richard Thompson produced by Daniel Lanois… but I know that it is neither. It’s pleasant with polished production and sounds like a theme to an 80’s RomCom.

I'm sure you DO know the voice here. It's John Martyn. This is an outtake from Grace And Danger which appears on the Deluxe edition.

3. This sounds very familiar… but I’m sure don’t know who it is. A lovely, bright and breezy “coming out” song.

I put this very track on my BCB cup list this year and did get some favourable comment, despite my usual round two exit. Even Nick not given to hyperbole described this as monumental. The band is Cashier No 9, from Northern Ireland I believe and just one album to date, but it contains some of the finest jangle-pop this side of Teenage Fanclub.

4. Similar vibe in that it sounds familiar and it is bright and breezy and poppy. It sounds very Richard Hawley.

FRom the middle of three albums by Cherry Ghost. It remains a mystery to me why the similar Elbow are quite so huge (and I like Elbow) and yet Cherry Ghost retain some kind of cult status still.

5. Carpet Crawlers by Mark Kozelek. I really like this.

I noticed you'd put a Kozelek track on one of your mixes, so couldn't resist this Genesis cover

6. Really sweet… almost too sweet… but the lyrics are really quite engaging.

I hear what you are saying about "almost too sweet" but I'll always find room for litearate crafted pop music like this. The band Miracle Mile should be better known.

7. Odd. This reminds me of Randy Newman. I can’t abide Randy Newman but I really like this. Again, very engaging lyrics.

Probably my favourite artist of recent years Joe Henry. I pretty much love all his stuff but his latest run of albums is terrific.

8. Sweet female country folk vocal. There’s so much of this around that it’s become a flooded, over-used niche… but this is quite special. I’m pretty sure I know the artist.

Shawn Colvin from her covers album. The song is actually an outtake by The Band

9. The intro was very familiar… I expected something else but couldn’t quite grasp what it reminded me of. Then the vocal bit reminded me of “Baby” by OS Mutantes (English version with Rita Lee)… and then my head couldn’t cope. Nice track but… it mashed my head.

Not sure there are many fans here of this band Pink Martini but I love their particular brand of lounge exotica. This is an original but they are not averse to plundering a variety of styles (Neapolitan song, Argentinian Tango, French chanson etc)

10. Gentle, acoustic ballad. I like the cello. Very relaxing.

I seem to be getting quite evangelical about this guy, David Mead. Can't remember how I initially came across him, but most of his albums are available dirt cheap on Amazon and having bought one I went back for the remainder. Reminds me in a way of Ron Sexsmith in as much as there is nothing earth shattering going on, but great songs and a really engaging voice.

11. Fabulous New Orleans RnB. Sounds very familiar. I may be kicking myself again.

The second Cosimo Matassa Story pick and the wonderful Smiley Lewis, like Fats on steroids

12. Lovely Acoustic ballad. Something of the Sufjan in this.

Again someone you probably are familiar with Iron And Wine

13. The unmistakable Screaming Jay Hawkins… with my signature tune… Baptise me in Wine!

Mad as a box of frogs of course but way way more than the novelty act he's sometimes made out to be.

14. Interesting track. Vocals familiar again. Couldn’t quite grasp the chorus but the overall package is quite grand. Symphonic pop splendour.

The late great Richie Havens

15. This is someone being “early Dylan”. Intense and evocative.

Brit folkie Micahel Chapman covering Dylan

16. A beautiful slice of opera. It gets a bit Wagnerian at it’s peak but generally sounds a bit too sweet to be Wagner. I’m supposed to be embarking on a Wagner project this year but keep putting it off.

This is actually symphonic rather than opera, but you are in the ballpark with Wagner. The late Germanic romantic movement is just about as good as music gets in my book and my own personal holy trinity of classical music would be Richard Wagner, Richard Strauss and Gustav Mahler. This is an excerpt from Mahler's 8th

17. A snippet of a symphonic ballad. I thought at first it may be Scott Walker but it isn’t… is it?

I was tempted to end the mix with the Mahler but didn't like the way it ended abruptly (being an excerpt) but thought How do you follw that !! This seemed to work as a short but sweet coda without destroying the mood. The singer is James Grant, formerly of Love And Money

1. Little Richard - The Girl Can't Help It
2. John Martyn - Running Up The Harbour
3. Cashier No 9 - Goldstar
4. Cherry Ghost - Kissing Strangers
5. Mark Kozelek - Carpet Crawlers
6. Miracle Mile - Paper Planes And Ponytails
7. Joe Henry - After The War
8. Shawn Colvin - Twilight
9. Pink Martini - Clementine
10. David Mead - You Might See Him
11. Smiley Lewis - Shame Shame Shame
12. Iron And Wine - Communion Cups And Someone's Coat
13. Screamin' Jay Hawkins - Baptize Me In Wine
14. Richie Havens - Avalaon
15. Michael Chapman - Ballad In Plain D
16. Mahler - Dir Der Unberuhrbaren (8th Symphony)
17. James Grant - Catherine Burns

We're way past rhubarb

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 14 May 2015, 16:11

The Fish wrote:2. John Martyn - Running Up The Harbour
BUGGER!

The Fish wrote:12. Iron And Wine - Communion Cups And Someone's Coat
:o BUGGER!!

The Fish wrote:14. Richie Havens - Avalaon
:o No way! BUGGER!!!

The Fish wrote:16. Mahler - Dir Der Unberuhrbaren (8th Symphony)
I'll be digging this one out.

Cheers, Paul. I like surprises.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 14 May 2015, 18:12

I'd certainly recommend Mahler's 8th but be warned it is an absolute beast of a symphony, spread over 2 CDs. It may take a few listens to embrace it in its entirety, but the finale (from just before to the end , just after the piece I included) is as great as anything you will hear.

The version I have is Tennstedt
We're way past rhubarb

whodathunkit

Postby whodathunkit » 19 May 2015, 09:41

Hallo in there!

Anybody home?

TG

Postby TG » 20 May 2015, 15:48

A little tardy with this one. Have been playing it a lot though. Good to almost the last drop.

I was your mixer this month and you got a mix of some things I've been playing a lot around the house lately. A lot of New Orleans and some other pieces to fill out the gaps. It went a little something like this...

1. Starts with a really cool jazz track that goes through all sorts of changes during its five and half minutes. Bit of Basie, bit of Miles, even some Herb Alpert ending up in that familiar "Wade In the Water" groove.

This one is called Olde Wine by Alvin "Red" Tyler and the A.F.O. All Stars. It's the A & B sides of a single presented on the CD as one long, unedited track. It's really quite wonderful and manages to skate between the NOLA funk and jazz sides of its player's abilities quite nicely.

2. One of my JB favourites, "There was a Time", but not the version I know. Less funk and more swing in this. A great find. The horns on this are sensational.

Isn't this amazing? It's from a record James did with the Louis Bellson Orchestra reimagining some of his hits and some covers in Big Band versions. I didn't really expect it to be very good but I like the record a lot. It's this one -

- and it's worth checking out.

3. Very familiar soul tune (which I can't name :oops: )used here as an organ feature. Short and very sweet.

The Mar-Keys' Last Night as reimagined by drummer June Gardner but the real attraction is James Booker on organ. It seemed to fit well after the JB track as it features a pretty big band too.

4. Big sloppy dirty old piece of grinding soul. Have no idea what she's singing about but it hardly matters. Her voice becomes just another instrument in this gorgeous stew of sound. A highlight.

Dizzy Gillespie with Rutabaga Pie. I found this track on a 60s LP called Soul & Salvation and it has become one of my favorite things ever. I've used it on mixes for almost everyone here and it always goes over well. It's just an astounding piece of music that jumped on the Watermelon Man bandwagon and refused to let go.

5. 40s-sounding jazz trio work-out.Cools things down nicely after the previous track.

Andre Previn doing Main Stem. His piano playing is the obvious standout here but the rest of the band seem to know what they are doing as well.

6. Cpt. B and "Click Clack". Spotlight Kid still doesn't get enough love around these parts for me. One of his best.

That it is and this track one of my favorites by him.

7. A version of "Bad Boy". Not the Jive Bombers echo-drenched monster but something altogether more relaxed and sweeter.

Mink deVille from their 2nd LP. Or maybe the third? It's a pretty swell version of the track, though. Willy was a hell of a talent. Too bad he didn't hang around a bit longer.

8. My favourite. Walking bass, bluesy piano and sweeping strings. A bit Twin Peaks and very lovely.

You are on the right track. It's Angelo Badalamenti from the soundtrack to David Lynch's Wild At Heart. It really is very lovely, isn't it?

9. Cowbell time. Little bit of mambo extolling the delights of various southern dishes. In and out in 2 minutes and gets the job done.

More New Orleans. Shrimp And Gumbo by Dave Bartholomew. This song makes me hungry and makes me want to hop on a plane to NOLA right away. Hopefully soon.

10. An old mod favourite, "Watch Your Step" by Bobby Parker. I was musing about how this would have sounded in UK clubs back in the early 60s. Max Bygraves and Alma Cogan on the radio in the day and then this when you went out. It must have seemed like a message from another planet. Great track anyway.

And the influence this song had on a whole slew of songwriters was pretty amazing! A really fine record.

11. Some cajun stuff which I like in small doses and this is just enough. Another highlight.

The mighty Clifton Chenier from a Specialty Records called Eh, Petite Fille. The piano player on this should get some kind of award.

12. Bluesy guitar instrumental. Allman Bros area perhaps? That lovely walking bass crops up again. Loved it.

A Booker T & the MGs inspired workout from Creedence Clearwater Revival from the Willy & The Poor Boys LP called Side O' The Road. No one thinks of CCR as an instrumental band but this is really interesting.

13. Bit of a Coasters feel to this one, "Is a Bluebird blue? Can a Big Wheel roll?" etc. Good fun.

An early 45 by songwriter Dan Penn that I picked up on some bootleg or other. There was apparently a C&W hit version of it that sounds very different to this. And it is good fun.

14. A Costello track that I dont know. I gave up after Mighty Like A Rose. Interesting arrangement and lyrics worth listening to. Makes me wish I'd stayed with him.

Spooky Girlfriend from the When I Was Cruel CD. That whole CD is pretty immense. EC continues to put out good records. It's really worth digging through the later releases for the tracks like this one. And there are a few out there.

15. The only duffer. Probably some giant of the keyboard like Toussaint or Longhair but I'm afraid it has more of the pub knees-up feel about it than a New Orleans club. Even the sax break can't save it. Sorry.

I really love this track but I suppose that's no great surprise as this is James Booker playing his heart out. Now, normally I wouldn't put 2 tracks by the same artist on a Mix Club CD but as track 3 was not credited to Booker I made the exception. This track really motors along with a healthy little groove. And it sounds simple but find the best pianist you know and see if he can play this exactly like Booker does. It's really astounding playing. None of which matters one iota if you don't like the song, I know.

16. Girlie group closer. More grit than sugar which is how I like 'em. "Bye Bye Baby". Back at ya sweetie.

The fabulous Detroit Cobras doing Bye Bye Baby. It seemed like this mix needed some more gritty guitars and sweaty R&R.

Many thanks for this most excellent mix. I fear the reveal may lead to an outbreak of purchasing but fire away.

I'm glad you dug the mix. Here's the list -

Olde Wine Alvin 'Red' Tyler & the AFO All Stars
There Was A Time James Brown
Last Night June Gardner
Rutabaga Pie Dizzy Gillespie
Main Stem Andre Previn
Click Clack Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band
Bad Boy Mink de Ville
Cool Cat Walk Angelo Badalamenti/Kinny Landrum
Shrimp And Gumbo Dave Bartholomew
Watch Your Step Bobby Parker
Eh, Petite Fille Clifton Chenier
Side O' The Road Creedence Clearwater Revival
Is A Bluebird Blue Dan Penn
Spooky Girlfriend Elvis Costello
Lah Tee Tah James Booker
Bye Bye Baby The Detroit Cobras
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

TG

Postby TG » 03 Jun 2015, 03:07

I really hoped to get this done in May. Here we go just a bit late -

1) Starts out acapella and then joined only by a very simple organ track. And it's almost gone before you realize the singer has (literally) walked away from the microphone. An interesting start.

2) Very cool intro. Sounds familiar and it should. Pretty Girl Why by Buffalo Springfield. I've never spent much time with this band outside of the hits and the obvious tracks. And I own a bunch of it. This is nice.

3) A jazzy, very adult instrumental. Piano, bass, 2(?) guitars. I suspect this is a standard or Broadway tune or something. It's very slinky; a very pretty piece of music.

4) The Left Banke's She May Call You Up Tonight. I never heard this record until the 80s and didn't like it at first but I've done a complete turnaround in recent years. This is a really fine track.

5) This mix is really shaping up to be a fine blend of really exquisite little moments. I know a few but they work together really beautifully. Fairport Conventionn doing I'll Keep It With Mine. Jesus, what a band.

6) Richard & Linda Thompson doing I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight. I came very late to the Fairport's/Thompson's party and still need to catch up. Another keeper.

7) Not sure what track it is but it is most certainly Miles Davis. That tone. I mean it's one of the most instantly recognizable sounds in all of music. This continues down the road of very pretty tracks. This is a great late night mix.

8) String heavy bit of baroque pop that is beautifully done but just not my thing. I see how it fits into the mix but I'm not hearing it.

9) Gotta be Mr. George Jones. What a voice. I disliked this kind of uptown country when it was current but tracks like this continue to sway my opinion. But he could sing my grocery list and make it sound swell.

10) The intro was instantly recognizable but I couldn't place it. It's Orange Skies by Love. This mix has its own flow and I'm digging it. It's funny; I own a lot of these but they take on a new feel in this setting. This is yet another very pretty song.

11) I doubt if I would have known what this was but it popped up in my ITunes with album artwork. No idea what the song is but it's from the Kantner/Starship LP Blows Against The Empire. Once again I understand why it's here and it fits but this just doesn't go anywhere.

12) Some 70s sweet soul goodness. I don't know this but its the equal of a handful of similar records that were hits. Singer is familiar but I can't say for sure who it is.

13) This is tremendous. A great southern soul record with fine vocals and a bit of a sub-Motown feel in the arrangement and production. I like this a lot. It's pretty and gritty.

14) This is weird. It starts out all strings and swelling cymbals with tortured vocals and then suddenly there's guitars, piano, bongos and a rather jaunty feel layered on top of the strings and cymbals. But it works. This is a record I'd buy. The vocals are ace.

15) Two guitars, two voices. It's very pretty (again, I know) but not my kind of thing. Nothing wrong with it but not enough going for it either.

This seems to have been a very well thought out mix. It flowed beautifully and will likely be played many times in the coming weeks. I'll be running off to the record store once the reveal hits and I'll be reexamining some things from my own collection so it did everything a BCB Mix Club mix ought do. Many thanks to my mixer.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 04 Jun 2015, 21:19

TG wrote:I really hoped to get this done in May. Here we go just a bit late -

1) Starts out acapella and then joined only by a very simple organ track. And it's almost gone before you realize the singer has (literally) walked away from the microphone. An interesting start.

2) Very cool intro. Sounds familiar and it should. Pretty Girl Why by Buffalo Springfield. I've never spent much time with this band outside of the hits and the obvious tracks. And I own a bunch of it. This is nice.

3) A jazzy, very adult instrumental. Piano, bass, 2(?) guitars. I suspect this is a standard or Broadway tune or something. It's very slinky; a very pretty piece of music.

4) The Left Banke's She May Call You Up Tonight. I never heard this record until the 80s and didn't like it at first but I've done a complete turnaround in recent years. This is a really fine track.

5) This mix is really shaping up to be a fine blend of really exquisite little moments. I know a few but they work together really beautifully. Fairport Conventionn doing I'll Keep It With Mine. Jesus, what a band.

6) Richard & Linda Thompson doing I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight. I came very late to the Fairport's/Thompson's party and still need to catch up. Another keeper.

7) Not sure what track it is but it is most certainly Miles Davis. That tone. I mean it's one of the most instantly recognizable sounds in all of music. This continues down the road of very pretty tracks. This is a great late night mix.

8) String heavy bit of baroque pop that is beautifully done but just not my thing. I see how it fits into the mix but I'm not hearing it.

9) Gotta be Mr. George Jones. What a voice. I disliked this kind of uptown country when it was current but tracks like this continue to sway my opinion. But he could sing my grocery list and make it sound swell.

10) The intro was instantly recognizable but I couldn't place it. It's Orange Skies by Love. This mix has its own flow and I'm digging it. It's funny; I own a lot of these but they take on a new feel in this setting. This is yet another very pretty song.

11) I doubt if I would have known what this was but it popped up in my ITunes with album artwork. No idea what the song is but it's from the Kantner/Starship LP Blows Against The Empire. Once again I understand why it's here and it fits but this just doesn't go anywhere.

12) Some 70s sweet soul goodness. I don't know this but its the equal of a handful of similar records that were hits. Singer is familiar but I can't say for sure who it is.

13) This is tremendous. A great southern soul record with fine vocals and a bit of a sub-Motown feel in the arrangement and production. I like this a lot. It's pretty and gritty.

14) This is weird. It starts out all strings and swelling cymbals with tortured vocals and then suddenly there's guitars, piano, bongos and a rather jaunty feel layered on top of the strings and cymbals. But it works. This is a record I'd buy. The vocals are ace.

15) Two guitars, two voices. It's very pretty (again, I know) but not my kind of thing. Nothing wrong with it but not enough going for it either.

This seems to have been a very well thought out mix. It flowed beautifully and will likely be played many times in the coming weeks. I'll be running off to the record store once the reveal hits and I'll be reexamining some things from my own collection so it did everything a BCB Mix Club mix ought do. Many thanks to my mixer.

Greetings from Grimethorpe, Barnsley, South Yorkshire, England

This was actually a last minute rush... as is the reveal.

1. The Way I Feel Inside - The Zombies
An opener of sorts... short and very sweet

2. Pretty Girl Why (Previously Unreleased Mix) _ Buffalo Springfield
Sublime

3. Poinciana - Ahmad Jamal
Cool jazz

4. She May Call You Up Tonight - The Left Banke
perfect pop

5. I'll Keep It With Mine -Fairport Convention
Dylanesque

6. I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight - Richard & Linda Thompson
Epic Brit folk rock

7. It Never Entered My Mind - Miles Davis
Prettiest Miles ever!

8. Ventura Boulevard - The Everly Brothers
Hidden Gem!

9. The Grand Tour- George Jones
Iconic heartbreak country Ballad

10. Orange Skies - Love Da Capo
Bryan McLean's moment

11. Have You Seen the Stars Tonite - Jefferson Airplane
Subtle

12. Girl I Need You - The Artistics
Classic Northern Soul

13. Looking For You - Garnet Mimms
Legendary Northern Soul

14. I'm Not the One - Larry Banks
Ace vocals

15. Angel Eyes - The Czars
Cover of ABBA single.... very odd... in a nice way.

Later!

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 31 Jul 2015, 18:56

So finally wrapping up April, dsic received from Yves. I've had this a while (but not nearly as long as it took to arrive in the first place) so with one of these :oops: for me and two :oops: :oops: for Yves.......

1) Slap that bass and twang that geeeetar. A bit of rockaabilly/psychobilly. Suitably weird. Hard to get this stuff wrong really.
2) More straightforward rock and roll. “Killer” style piano poundings, twangy guitar. What’s not to like ?
3) Whatever the rest of BCB may think Yves, you and I will always be Taking Care of Bozness
4) Feel I should know this. Slightly drawling troubadour type. Anyway another entry in the tick column.
5) Well you don’t need to sell meon Graham Parker. He’s great (Not as great as Elvis Costello obviously :D but still great) I actually had a look to see how many GP CDs were sitting on the shelf and found 25 !! Great though he is , he has been on auto pilot for a while but really has discovered a new lease on the last couple of albums reunited with the Rumour. This track in particular is as good as anything else I’ve heard this year.
6) Similarly you don’t need to sell me on James McMurtry. Definitely underrated.
7) The only track I wasn’t totally convinced by. This is still an artist I might well like (or own?) and there are some nice touches, but the song itself was a bit ordinary. Even then slightly more hit than miss (with reservations)
8) One of those really raspy voices I generally like. This reminds me of something I can’t place, but in any case this is pretty good.
9) This one’s all about the swagger. Rocks like a bastard. Love it.
10) First of three female vocal tracks. I like this and the only fault I can find is it ain’t Lucinda (I can similarly nitpick that the rootsier males aren’t Steve Earle) Comparisons are maybe unfair when the bar is set that high, and this does stand up well on its own merits.
11) Female number two, more low key Neko Case style
12) Female number three, more laid back folky Gillian Welch style. I probably haven’t done these three tracks justice and I did like all three, but it’s a pretty overcrowded field and you need to be pretty special to rise above the crowd. These all definitely rise above the average though
13) You can tell everything gonna be alright here from the opening riff. Full on , down and dirty DBT style.
14) A bit of soul that definitely has “Da funk”
15) This one intrigues me. A simple strummed rhythm with a drawled almost non vocal, like Duke Garwood or someone similar. The overall result is quite engaging though.

Thanks mate, thoroughly enjoyable as I expected it would be. Now just need to see this month's count of things I actually own and didn't spot :D
We're way past rhubarb

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 05 Aug 2015, 18:39

The Fish wrote:So finally wrapping up April, dsic received from Yves. I've had this a while (but not nearly as long as it took to arrive in the first place) so with one of these :oops: for me and two :oops: :oops: for Yves.......

1) Slap that bass and twang that geeeetar. A bit of rockaabilly/psychobilly. Suitably weird. Hard to get this stuff wrong really.
2) More straightforward rock and roll. “Killer” style piano poundings, twangy guitar. What’s not to like ?
3) Whatever the rest of BCB may think Yves, you and I will always be Taking Care of Bozness
4) Feel I should know this. Slightly drawling troubadour type. Anyway another entry in the tick column.
5) Well you don’t need to sell meon Graham Parker. He’s great (Not as great as Elvis Costello obviously :D but still great) I actually had a look to see how many GP CDs were sitting on the shelf and found 25 !! Great though he is , he has been on auto pilot for a while but really has discovered a new lease on the last couple of albums reunited with the Rumour. This track in particular is as good as anything else I’ve heard this year.
6) Similarly you don’t need to sell me on James McMurtry. Definitely underrated.
7) The only track I wasn’t totally convinced by. This is still an artist I might well like (or own?) and there are some nice touches, but the song itself was a bit ordinary. Even then slightly more hit than miss (with reservations)
8) One of those really raspy voices I generally like. This reminds me of something I can’t place, but in any case this is pretty good.
9) This one’s all about the swagger. Rocks like a bastard. Love it.
10) First of three female vocal tracks. I like this and the only fault I can find is it ain’t Lucinda (I can similarly nitpick that the rootsier males aren’t Steve Earle) Comparisons are maybe unfair when the bar is set that high, and this does stand up well on its own merits.
11) Female number two, more low key Neko Case style
12) Female number three, more laid back folky Gillian Welch style. I probably haven’t done these three tracks justice and I did like all three, but it’s a pretty overcrowded field and you need to be pretty special to rise above the crowd. These all definitely rise above the average though
13) You can tell everything gonna be alright here from the opening riff. Full on , down and dirty DBT style.
14) A bit of soul that definitely has “Da funk”
15) This one intrigues me. A simple strummed rhythm with a drawled almost non vocal, like Duke Garwood or someone similar. The overall result is quite engaging though.

Thanks mate, thoroughly enjoyable as I expected it would be. Now just need to see this month's count of things I actually own and didn't spot :D

01. Tav Falco’s Panther Burns. Wild man from Arkansas comparable to the Crampps. Releases a lot of music of varying quality. This comes from Hip Flask:An introduction to.
02. JD McPherson off his second (brilliant) album. Even Jumper K is a fan.
03. Yeah, Boz. You can be a grumpy old man sometimes, Paul, but you’ll always be my Boz-t friend.
04. This is Shinyribs, one of Kev Russell’s nom-de-plumes. He used to play with the Gourds.
05. Good old GP. Saw him live with the Rumour after their previous LP together. Bob Andrews was the star of the show. My total is 48, btw.
06. As you said, James McMurtry. Keeps on grinding out good records. See Track 13.
07. Was recommended to me by a record shop owner in Ostend who still cares about music. Perhaps I chose the wrong track but he is comparable to 06 and 13. It’s Frankie Chavez.
08. A late 60’s band called Watchpocket. Only released one album but Steve Cropper plays on most of it.
09. Debut from the Banditos. Like Trigger Hippy, Jackie Greene. Southern rock.
10. + 11 + 12 Yes, that field is indeed overcrowded and picking the better ones is hard work. Brandi Carlile, Kimmie Rhodes and Mandolin Orange in that order. If a recommendation is needed I’d say This side of Jordan by Mandolin Orange.
13. As with 06 another one of my heroes that keep going strong. Ray Wylie Hubbard.
14. Seventh or eight album from JJ Grey & Mofro.
15. Despite the Uncut hype it’s still half good. David Corley’s debut at sixty something.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 05 Aug 2015, 18:45

Tav Falco's Panther Burns - I'm on this rocket
JD McPherson - It shoo me up
Boz Scaggs - High blood pressure
Shinyribs - Sweeter than the stars
Graham Parker - Transition of Venus
James McMurtry - Ain't got a place
Frankie Chavez - Dreams of a rebel