April review - an apology to my recipient- and plea for patience

Exchange mix CDs with each other.
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

April review - an apology to my recipient- and plea for patience

Postby Minnie the Minx » 21 Apr 2015, 02:23

Hello all. Right, first of all I need to apologise to Yves, as I sat down this weekend to review his disc from December and I obviously left it too late as when I went to the link it was gone. I apologise for the tardiness. Please send again. I want to listen to it.

Secondly, my laptop finally began to give up the ghost this weekend. I am typing on Baron's mac which does not have a working CD burner or any of my music on it. My laptop has all my music on it, and I need to export it all over to a hard drive asap. So I cannot at the moment burn a disc. Which means my April disc can not be made, until I have a new laptop. I am heartily pissed off.

I am committed to mix club and I will be back in once I have a working laptop.

My April disc then....and for some reason I was listening to track 3 (which is for sure Golden slumbers) and then out of nowhere it was propelled to number 14! So these track reviews may not be in sync... sorry :(

1. Oh my goodness! This sounds like a disco Daddy Cool...but I don't think it is. Oooh, no the lyrics are not English - it's uplifting, it's danceable, it's wonderful! I love it! What a GREAT start!

2. Hmm - sounds a little like Patti Smith on helium - not unpleasant but a bit...American eighties for me, I think...

3. Now then, we've got a bit of brass and a bit of Celtic type fiddle - and am I right in thinking that this is Golden Slumbers?? Not sure what I think of this really - although I am normally always up for a bit of fiddle and a nice piano hook, but there is something about this version that is not gelling for me so much

4. NIKKI BABY!!! Good call... excellent.

5. Beautiful song that seems to be about domestic violence and driving home late at night if I'm correct. Lovely sweeping horns, not sure if they are real, but I'm a sucker for them anyway. Can't wait to see which chick has this creamy voice.

6. Michelangelo! I 'm laughing as I put this on my last disc to my last recipient :lol:

7. Hmm, this is a very nice stringy ethereal thing by someone I suspect isn't British judging by the vaguely Icelandic lilt, lovely

8. Vocal version of Because by the Beatles - I'm afraid taking away the music won't make me like the Beatles any more ;)

9. A very lovely version of Fly by Nick Drake, and I have struggled to place who it might be. She really does sound so very, very much like him, and that's not a bad thing, of course.

10. Well, this duet is utterly gorgeous, peeping little horns and an insistent hook, and again, it sounds something other than British. Love it.

11. This song is just about my idea of hell. The chorus: 'how do you stop' - that's what I'm asking now as I frantically search for the stop button...

12. Gorgeous Bobby Wyatt and Masters of the Field - christ, I haven't heard this beauty for years...

13. Crikey - an astonishing version of Rainy Days and Mondays. It sounds like Madonna! It can't be Madonna can it --- is it??

14. This is very lovely, though I suspect it is Robyn Hitchcock, which should mean I shouldn't like it. So the world seems to have turned on it's head.

Sender! I thank you for this disc. I think it was an 85% success with me. There are notable similarities in the couple of tracks I didn't care for - and I know that the Beatles in any form really don't move me a lot. Some surprising hits there - notably Hitchcock which I could have sworn I detested - and there are a few people I really could not identify who I really enjoyed. I am sorry if the review seems out of sync - all of a sudden, everything was jumbled. If your reveal shows that I am clearly wrong, I will adjust it after checking the actual titles. Thank you very much!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

whodathunkit

Re: April review - an apology to my recipient- and plea for patience

Postby whodathunkit » 28 Apr 2015, 10:06

Minnie the Minx wrote:
My April disc then....and for some reason I was listening to track 3 (which is for sure Golden slumbers) and then out of nowhere it was propelled to number 14! So these track reviews may not be in sync... sorry :( {/quote}

Hi Min. So, here's the thing. I had two alternatives for the playlist order for this mix and I seem to have kept the one I didn't use. :oops: So the blind will be leading the blind here :D

1. Oh my goodness! This sounds like a disco Daddy Cool...but I don't think it is. Oooh, no the lyrics are not English - it's uplifting, it's danceable, it's wonderful! I love it! What a GREAT start!

A lively one to kick things off before the inevitable descent into misery. "La Realite" by Malian duo Amadou and Mariam

2. Hmm - sounds a little like Patti Smith on helium - not unpleasant but a bit...American eighties for me, I think...

Mrs Bruce - Patty Scialfa - and "Come Tomorrow" from her 1993 debut Rumble Doll

3. Now then, we've got a bit of brass and a bit of Celtic type fiddle - and am I right in thinking that this is Golden Slumbers?? Not sure what I think of this really - although I am normally always up for a bit of fiddle and a nice piano hook, but there is something about this version that is not gelling for me so much

I seem to remember sending you an Unthanks track on a previous mix. You didn't think much of that one either :D Okay, okay, I give up. "Last Lullaby" from their latest Mount The Air

4. NIKKI BABY!!! Good call... excellent.

A process of elimination tells me this is "Sometimes" by Les Rythmes Digitales who are basically a bloke called Stuart. I know not this Nikki chap.

5. Beautiful song that seems to be about domestic violence and driving home late at night if I'm correct. Lovely sweeping horns, not sure if they are real, but I'm a sucker for them anyway. Can't wait to see which chick has this creamy voice.

One of my (few) favourite contemporary bands who seem to have dropped off the radar in recent years. The Mummers and "Driving Home" from their Mink Hollow Road EP. Curious how domestic violence/abuse often crops up as the subject matter of some seriously beautiful songs (Lukas, Cherokee Louise). Life. It's a puzzler, innit?

6. Michelangelo! I 'm laughing as I put this on my last disc to my last recipient :lol:

Yep, I noticed you picked the original so I thought I follow up with a cover from Jonny who are Norman Blake from Teenage Fanclub and Euro Childs from Gorkis.

7. Hmm, this is a very nice stringy ethereal thing by someone I suspect isn't British judging by the vaguely Icelandic lilt, lovely

A lot of quirky Scandinavian songstresses about. One of my favourites, Ane Brun from Norway, and "To Let Myself Go".

8. Vocal version of Because by the Beatles - I'm afraid taking away the music won't make me like the Beatles any more ;)

Found this on some dodgy bootleg. Straight a capella. Incredibly sad. In a nice way.

9. A very lovely version of Fly by Nick Drake, and I have struggled to place who it might be. She really does sound so very, very much like him, and that's not a bad thing, of course.

Australian duo Luluc. From a lovely tribute album called Joe Boyd Presents the Songs of Nick Drake. Proof that the songs stand up on their own without the Nick Drake baggage.

10. Well, this duet is utterly gorgeous, peeping little horns and an insistent hook, and again, it sounds something other than British. Love it.

Danish band Labrador and "In A Blue Balloon". I think this was a big old cheesy Euro-hit about 10 years ago . Certainly sounds like it should have been.

11. This song is just about my idea of hell. The chorus: 'how do you stop' - that's what I'm asking now as I frantically search for the stop button...

Oh no.Not Joni. I'll just go into the other room for a few minutes and compose myself and we'll never speak of this again :(

12. Gorgeous Bobby Wyatt and Masters of the Field - christ, I haven't heard this beauty for years...

Yep

13. Crikey - an astonishing version of Rainy Days and Mondays. It sounds like Madonna! It can't be Madonna can it --- is it??

Can't tell you much about this, except it's not Madge. They're called Fac 15 and it cropped up on one of those old Hed Kandi chillout collections. Useful for when you chicken out of including a Carpenters track on BCB Mix Club disc :D

14. This is very lovely, though I suspect it is Robyn Hitchcock, which should mean I shouldn't like it. So the world seems to have turned on it's head.

"Comme Toujours" from his last one The Man Upstairs

{quote="Minnie the Minx}Sender! I thank you for this disc. I think it was an 85% success with me. There are notable similarities in the couple of tracks I didn't care for - and I know that the Beatles in any form really don't move me a lot. Some surprising hits there - notably Hitchcock which I could have sworn I detested - and there are a few people I really could not identify who I really enjoyed. I am sorry if the review seems out of sync - all of a sudden, everything was jumbled. If your reveal shows that I am clearly wrong, I will adjust it after checking the actual titles. Thank you very much!

Always a pleasure Min. Here's.....

THE LIST

1. "La Realite" - Amadou and Mariam
2. "Come Tomorrow" - Patty Scialfa
3. "Last Lullaby" - The Unthanks
4. "Sometimes" - Les Rythmes Digitales
5. "Driving Home" - The Mummers
6. "Michelangelo" - Jonny
7. "To Let Myself Go" - Ane Brun
8. "Because" - The Beatles
9. "Fly" - Luluc
10. "In A Blue Balloon" - Labrador