April 2015 review

Exchange mix CDs with each other.
Prof Yuri

April 2015 review

Postby Prof Yuri » 02 Apr 2015, 11:55

Welcome to the Exquisite - A Collection of Beautiful Cliques.

1. We open with opera. A very pleasant female duet that has been used more than once as film soundtrack; very nice. Great for relaxing. I listened to this in5.1 and thusly increased the experience.
Equipment:- Denon DCD510AER; Yamaha RX-V359 to Muller Deimos Mkiii; & B&W CC3 with Maplin 74 strandOFC.
2. Sinatra standard absolutely brilliant.
3. Jazzy piece with female vocal. Acoustic guitar completes the scene before the orchestra seeps in. The vocals are breathy and decidedly tubular.
4. A sudden increase in volume has me reaching for the remote An Indian piece with Sitar or Sarod. Maybe even a Esraj accompanies delightful flute, super.
5. A jazz female vocal too far. Does not live up to the standard set by tracks 1-4. The guitar is intrusive and pedestrian. The first cliche.
6-7. Terrible, end of show 'House' vehicles made by men who have weak voices, but no one told them especially the producers of these dire meanderings, sorry!
8. Just when yo truly need some beautiful harp. Along it comes. Gentle accompaniment from the orchestra, marvellous. Singing of quality once more too.
9. French nonsense, they really think they are the best. They're not!!
10. One to skip painful.
11. At this point we could have done with something a bit more upbeat, however; what we get is gentle relaxation music again. My eyes are so heavy.....if I could just have a little knap...............zzzzzzzzzzz.
12. When I wake up I think I'm in the Jungle initially. One of the baboons is playing the piano though, no tune just cords; I wait. He's good with those chords, but I'm still waiting, in the background I can hear the gibbons and one of them plays the violin. It's all very green peace and lonely planet. Do I like it? The baboon needs more practise. The arrival of the volcano perks thinks up a bit. The playing remains very pedestrian though and I feel slightly cheated. It doesn't so much finish, as stop. Bring on the Whales?
13. What we get though is more self indulgence, how do some of these artists ever get the studio time, easily forgettable.
14. Back to some quality thank goodness, it comes in the nick of time. Ethereal female vocals that sound faintly religious.
15. Once more we have some superb opera or operetta. You have to find those harps beguiling. It's a sublime closer. We lost our way in the middle, but overall a very pleasant listen. Many thanks.

Super cover by the way, very lovely.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Re: April 2015 review

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 02 Apr 2015, 17:30

Asshole.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 02 Apr 2015, 20:58

What's going on?
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 03 Apr 2015, 13:22

Not sure :? . I've agreed to exchange a mix or two with Prof Yuri privately... i.e. away from the forum... because I'm such a caring, generous, considerate person with high levels of compassion and empathy. He's sent a review of my mix (the same review) via PM... so I don't understand why he's posted one here too... particularly following his flounce from the Mix Club.

I can only suggest that this thread is ignored and an "official" one created as and when required.

Until then, let me take the opportunity to reciprocate PY's honest and insightful review and we can hopefully return to our normal usual process.

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 03 Apr 2015, 13:46

1. We open with opera. A very pleasant female duet that has been used more than once as film soundtrack; very nice. Great for relaxing. I listened to this in5.1 and thusly increased the experience.
Equipment:- Denon DCD510AER; Yamaha RX-V359 to Muller Deimos Mkiii; & B&W CC3 with Maplin 74 strandOFC.

Clément Philibert Léo Delibes: Lakmé - Viens, Mallikà...Sous Le Dôme Épais, "Flower Duet" by Mady Mesplé, Danielle Millet; Alain Lombard: Paris Opéra Comique Orchestra recorded 1971 june 23rd at half past 7 just after a buffet of prawn vol au vents, salmon and cucumber sandwiches, Victoria sponge and tea.

Sinatra standard absolutely brilliant.

True - Autumn Leaves by Frank Sinatra

3. Jazzy piece with female vocal. Acoustic guitar completes the scene before the orchestra seeps in. The vocals are breathy and decidedly tubular.

Colin Blunstone is actually a bloke :?

4. A sudden increase in volume has me reaching for the remote An Indian piece with Sitar or Sarod. Maybe even a Esraj accompanies delightful flute, super.

Abscheid by Popol Vuh (Korean vocalist, German band, timeless music)

5. A jazz female vocal too far. Does not live up to the standard set by tracks 1-4. The guitar is intrusive and pedestrian. The first cliche.

Bryan Maclean is also a bloke :? Originally performed by MacLean in the legendary psych rock group Love on their Da Capo album. Stripped down here with nothing but his beautiful intense vocal and naked intrusive acoustic guitar

6-7. Terrible, end of show 'House' vehicles made by men who have weak voices, but no one told them especially the producers of these dire meanderings, sorry!

6 You And Your Sister (Acoustic Version) 02:55 Chris Bell
7 Another Day 03:00 Roy Harper

8. Just when yo truly need some beautiful harp. Along it comes. Gentle accompaniment from the orchestra, marvellous. Singing of quality once more too.

8 Song to the Moon 05:55 Dvořák

9. French nonsense, they really think they are the best. They're not!!

Well, they are good at cooking... and football... :(
Écris-moi by Tino Rossi (from Corsica, France)

10. One to skip painful.

Come Here My Love by Van Morrison

11. At this point we could have done with something a bit more upbeat, however; what we get is gentle relaxation music again. My eyes are so heavy.....if I could just have a little knap...............zzzzzzzzzzz.

Lazy Calm by Cocteau Twins

12. When I wake up I think I'm in the Jungle initially. One of the baboons is playing the piano though, no tune just cords; I wait. He's good with those chords, but I'm still waiting, in the background I can hear the gibbons and one of them plays the violin. It's all very green peace and lonely planet. Do I like it? The baboon needs more practise. The arrival of the volcano perks thinks up a bit. The playing remains very pedestrian though and I feel slightly cheated. It doesn't so much finish, as stop. Bring on the Whales?

For Wanda by a silver mt. zion

13. What we get though is more self indulgence, how do some of these artists ever get the studio time, easily forgettable.

Song To The Siren by erm... Tim... wotsisname... Buckley

14. Back to some quality thank goodness, it comes in the nick of time. Ethereal female vocals that sound faintly religious.

Polegnala E Todora by The Bulgarian State Radio & Television Female Choir from Bulgaria, apparently

15. Once more we have some superb opera or operetta. You have to find those harps beguiling. It's a sublime closer. We lost our way in the middle, but overall a very pleasant listen. Many thanks.

O Mio Babbino Caro by Puccini

1 Viens, Mallikà… from Lakmé 05:53 Delibes
2 Autumn Leaves 02:53 Frank Sinatra
3 Misty Roses 05:05 Colin Blunstone
4 Abscheid 03:14 Popol Vuh
5 Orange Skies 04:22 Bryan Maclean
6 You And Your Sister (Acoustic Version) 02:55 Chris Bell
7 Another Day 03:00 Roy Harper
8 Song to the Moon 05:55 Dvořák
9 Écris-moi 03:05 Tino Rossi
10 Come Here My Love 02:21 Van Morrison
11 Lazy Calm 06:36 Cocteau Twins
12 For Wanda 06:38 a silver mt. zion
13 Song To The Siren 03:28 Tim Buckley
14 Polegnala E Todora 03:38 The Bulgarian State Radio & Television Female Choir
15 O Mio Babbino Caro 02:44 Puccini

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 03 Apr 2015, 13:48

April Mix by Prof Yuri

A is for Verein... well it most certainly is not...

1-3. The kind of squeaky clean poodle rock which cursed the 80’s. All coifed hairdo’s and radio-friendly production and cock rock guitar solos which excited no-one… other than geeky 13 yr olds who needed a safe outlet for their sexual frustration and exam anxiety...

4. A hopeful introduction… had me engaged for a minute and a half. And then the amateur dramatics start. Oh, dear. At points it aspires to be Kashmir by Led Zep but withers and sinks in its shadow.

5. More drama! But, for heaven’s sake… the more prominent the lyrics are set within these compositions, the more the composition is annihilated. Armageddon outa here!

6. Ditto!

Let’s pause here… Yuri, this is pretty much the same disc you sent last month… all slight variations on a theme but rigidly fixed in the same style and genre. Over-polished, artificial production with forced, methodical compositions and pretentious, exaggerated instrumentals… a “prog” formula that was worn out and eventually discarded in the 80’s and 90’s. The lyrics bother me. They’re too direct, forced sincerity, corny, clichéd, trite…. Often over-dramatic and inflated…. Lets’ press on…

7. Black Sabbath have reformed!!! However, they’ve exchanged Ozzy for some warbling folkster chic… oh and they’ve replaced everyone else in the band too. She’s got a sweet voice though.

8. I’ve been listening to a lot of YES recently. Not really my “thing” but I’m quite enjoying their inventiveness and their musicianship, especially in context of their time. Howe and Squire are magicians at their craft and the assorted keyboardists have immense talent and creativity (particularly Wakeman). It’s possibly a case of bad timing but this morning I listened to side one of ‘Tales From Topographic Oceans’… and now I’m listening to track 8 of your mix… and I’m kind of wondering what it’s all about.

So, Yuri, you keep dodging the question… are you involved in the production of the music you’re sending me?

Prof Yuri

Postby Prof Yuri » 12 Apr 2015, 10:55

I am, glad you enjoyed it.

Prof Yuri

Postby Prof Yuri » 12 Apr 2015, 10:56

Hopefully a few others will get some reviewing done before the end of the month.

TG

Postby TG » 13 Apr 2015, 14:12

Prof Yuri wrote:Hopefully a few others will get some reviewing done before the end of the month.

Maybe you'll do your review from last month.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

Prof Yuri

Postby Prof Yuri » 13 Apr 2015, 19:34

TG wrote:
Prof Yuri wrote:Hopefully a few others will get some reviewing done before the end of the month.

I did not get my February disc, but Oscar came to my rescue and sent me his.
The only discs I have received were from him, so we seem to have fallen into partnership.
I will happily swap discs with anyone, but no one else sends me anything.

TG

Postby TG » 13 Apr 2015, 20:55

Prof Yuri wrote:
TG wrote:

I did not get my February disc, but Oscar came to my rescue and sent me his.
The only discs I have received were from him, so we seem to have fallen into partnership.
I will happily swap discs with anyone, but no one else sends me anything.

Paul?
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 14 Apr 2015, 14:15

The pm advising Prof Yuri that his (official) mix was available for download is sitting in my sent messages folder meaning he read it, so it's all bollocks.
We're way past rhubarb

TG

Postby TG » 15 Apr 2015, 03:15

The Fish wrote:The pm advising Prof Yuri that his (official) mix was available for download is sitting in my sent messages folder meaning he read it, so it's all bollocks.

I assumed as much. Thanks, as always.

Prof Yuri

Postby Prof Yuri » 15 Apr 2015, 16:44

As usual you have not read my message properly!

I said I have not received any 'CD's' and I have not, except from Oscar.
I sent a CD [compact disc] and did not get one back.
I do not use MP3 as it is windows based and I do not use windows. Even if I could download a programme onto my Barracuda protected computer I would not be able to hear much as computer speakers are not the same as audio speakers and I do not listen to compressed midrange heavy information.
If anyone wishes to swap compact discs with me, I am happy to do so.
To date the only 'compact discs' I have received have all been from Oscar.
My compact discs will not be MP3 and will only play in a compact disc player.

As for stooping to profanity, that never solved a single case of misunderstanding did it?

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 15 Apr 2015, 17:25

Dear Prof Yuri,

You should become penpals with our friend in Denmark.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Return to “Mix Club”