February 2015 Reviews

Exchange mix CDs with each other.
T. Willy Rye
Spinner of crazy fuck-ass shit

Re: February 2015 Reviews

Postby T. Willy Rye » 01 Mar 2015, 00:50

Nick Danger wrote:The mix I received this month I found to be interesting and entertaining (and what more can you ask really) and checked a lot of my taste boxes - Garage Rock, Blues, R & B, Country, Pop, and more. Good job mixer!

Thanks! I think I need to thank Paul for detagging this for me.

1. Modern indie, lots of reverb, echo, and layered instruments. I like this. The only criticism I would have is that the vocals are somewhat buried back in the mix. This seems to be a characteristic of a lot of modern production. Good start though.

1. It's certainly a fair criticism. The vocals don't greatly hamper my enjoyment, but you're right the song would've been better had the vocals been a little bit up in the mix. This is Cincinnati band Wussy.

2. A nice instrumental here. Good organ, guitar, drums, and especially the horns.

2. Most Dap-Tone stuff is gold to me. This is particularly true of the latest Budos Band offering.

3. Begins with a Twilight Zone riff then switches to a fuzzy guitar lead. I like this. Good girl singer. This also sounds modern. I'm really curious about who this is.

3. This is King Tuff with Rainbow's Run. I agree with your appraisal except for the fact the King Tuff's real name is Kyle and he is not (at present) a girl.

4. Pounding drums and shouty vocals. The singer sounds like she could be Pat Benatar's little sister. I don't like this as much as what came before but it has it's charm. Really interesting instrumental break, lots of effects.

4. I wonder how Corin Tucker would feel about being described as Pat Benatar's younger sister. You're right about the breaks and the drums, though. This is Sleater Kinney.

5. This guy sounds British. Interesting guitar and drums. Not bad but it's not something I would pursue further probably. It was somewhat of a grower on repeated listens. My knowledge of British music post-invasion is woefully inadequate.

5. They're actually from Texas and got some kind of raw deal from their record company when people started accusing them of being a 13th Floor Elevators' knockoff. Golden Dawn here.

6. Now we're talking, garage rock, a favorite genre. This is great. Sneering vocals, small group, hard charging guitar and drums. Short and powerful like all good garage.

6. I think Jeff K was touting the Back From the Grave series and so I shared my findings from Volume 7 of this fairly daunting collection of Garage tracks. This is Syndicate (who I know nothing about) with Egyptian Thing

7. We're in R & B territory now. Upfront drums, good horns, probably vintage. I like this a lot. No idea who it is but I'm sure I'll be investigating this group out.

7. This is the Teardrops from the Eccentric Soul: The Forte Label comp.

8. More R & B. I may own this. The voice sounds familiar but I can't quite recall it. More great horns. It's too short. It leaves you wanting more.

8. Howard Tate with She's a Burglar. Your comments are right on the money and could be applied to Howard Tate's career (too short, leaves us wanting more.)

9. This is also in my wheelhouse, classic blues. This sounds like Bobby Bland but it's probably not him. Whoever it is, I like it. The guitar cooks.

9. Perfunctory Magic Sam track. The guitar does cook, but that voice. Muthafucka was smoove.

10. This one I do know. This is unmistakably Elmore James. Elmore is the real thing, that classic guitar lick and a voice just perfect for the Blues.
One of the best ever.

10. I also had to help balance some of the misogyny of the previous track. With Baby Please Set a Date.

11. More blues, a guttural voice I don't recognize but I like. It's reminiscent of Howling Wolf. Way too short, I wanted more.

11. Junior Wells and Earl Hooker with Love Me

12. Finishing up the blues section is another deep voiced bluesman. Don't know who it is but he can bring it. I don't like this as much as the ones above but that's more a reflection on how good they were. You don't hear too many good dog songs.

12. I suppose that Titus Turner's track is the least of the four, but this still works for me.

13. This is another genre I like, country, real country, not that adult contemporary with a southern accent they try to pass off as country music in the U.S. It's a nice two girl duet, country piano, steel guitar, the singing is a little sharp but I enjoyed it.

13. I will keep coming back to Freakwater's Old Paint record. This is Smoking Daddy.

14. Also real country, a male vocal I don't recognize. It goes along with a loping beat and a rubber band guitar lead. The harmonies are nice. Really good band.

14. Yeah, I'm not sure what happened to Blue Mountain. I miss them.

15. More modern sounding now, this could be Lucinda Williams. Interesting layered instrumentation, modern production, dirty guitar. I don't know if I could listen to a lot of this but this is entertaining.

15. The discordant guitar makes it more of a slog. I still really like it, though. Jolie Holland from her latest record.

16. This sounds like 60's pop/rock, Paul Revere and the Raiders kinda thing, short, really doesn't overstay it's welcome. I listened to my share of this kind of thing back in the day and I didn't mind this.

16. I never really listened to the Turtles outside of the big hits. Looking to rectify that.

17. This is great. I'm pretty sure it's one of my favorites, Los Straitjackets, but I don't recognize the song. Mexican wrestling masks, two lead guitars, bass, drums and a good measure of attitude and charm. Great way to finish off the mix!

17. I should really check out Los Straightjackets. Keep seeing them referenced and if you're mistaking the Bambi Molesters for them, than they must be great!

Thanks so much Mixer! This seems like a mix made especially for me and I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to the reveal.

You're welcome! Let me know if you'd like to pursue anything further. Sendspace is pretty great if you don't have to detag.

Track Listing:

1. Teenage Wasteland- Wussy
2. The Sticks- Budos Band
3. Rainbow's Run- King Tuff
4. Surface Envy- Sleater Kinney
5. My Time- The Golden Dawn
6. Egyptian Thing- Syndicate
7. I'm Gonna Get You- The Teardrops
8. She's a Burgler- Howard Tate
9. I Don't Want a Woman- Magic Sam
10. Baby Please Set a Date- Elmore James
11. Love Me- Junior Wells and Earl Hooker
12. Bow Wow- Titus Turner
13. Smoking Daddy- Freakwater
14. Myrna Lee- Blue Mountain
15. On and On- Jolie Holland
16. Outside Chance- The Turtles
17. Wrong Turn- Bambi Molesters

TG

Postby TG » 04 Mar 2015, 16:20

Okay, it's review time. Another very mixed bag with mixed results but a few things I really want to know more about.

1) A great start. Long a favorite of mine and a track I only recently picked up on a 45. Billy's Bag by Billy Preston. A rollicking, really fun track that must feature Preston Epps on bongoes. I really dig this song.

2) Percussion heavy ambient style track. Well, for the first couple of minutes, anyway. Then the guitar comes in sounding a bit like Viva Torado by El Chicano. Then some electric piano keeping the same East Side vibe. That's what we call it in L.A., anyway. This sounds a bit like a CD I put out through our own DGS's label a few years back. I don't usually go for tracks this long but this one works. Very hypnotic and very hip.

3) A sort of U2-like workout with stacks of frantic, scratchy guitars all layered and simple in a kind of punk/funk way. And I don't mean the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Not much of a song as there's no real hook but it works and grows with every listen.

4) Nicely finger picked guitar and very earnest, very British vocals. Lyrics are a bit mawkish and I didn't understand the purposely bad singing on the final word. Not my thing.

5) Nice female vocals, beautifully produced track with strings, horns and the like. Nothing really wrong here but, again, not really my thing.

6) I can't believe it took me so long to recognize this. Until the words "Disney Girls" came up I was more intrigued by the use of the mandolin in this setting. I haven't heard this in years even though I own it. Nice to hear it again.

7) More ambient synth sounds but this time more jittery, I guess. It doesn't really go anywhere. I know ambient isn't supposed to go anywhere but this is a bit too repetitious.

8) Is that thunder? A jet taking off? More synths? Ah, perhaps a rocket launching. Sounds of astronauts relaying messages back to Earth, computer generated drum and keyboard samples. This is interesting but a bit long at over eleven minutes.

9) This is Reverend Gary Davis doing Candy Man. The guitar playing is exquisite. I recent bought a box set by him and this reminds me that I need to revisit it. This is why I love Mix Club - it not only puts new music on your doorstep but also serves as a reminder to dig deeper into your own collection for forgotten or too long ignored music.

10) Some insanely intricate acoustic guitar picking. A bit like Django Reinhardt, I guess. I'm no expert in this style of music but the musicianship cannot be denied. Like the few Reinhardt records I own; I wouldn't play this often but in the right time and space this is perfection.

11) This is that song by the Supremes that I like but never know the name of. This isn't the Supremes, though. It's a great Motown cop - they have the sound and feel down. The voice is very familiar but I can't place it.

12) A cool, Ska version of The First Cut Is The Deepest. Millie Small, maybe? Who knows? This is very good.

13) Beatle-esque Pop. Or maybe Plastic Ono Band-esque. Spectorish pomp and loads of echo/reverb. Oddly similar to the last track-not in its Skaness but the hooks are similar. I like this a lot.

14) Some more from Jamaica. Not much to say about it. It's a hip little little riddim track with simple lyrics simply sung. I like it.

15) Someone singing in French about Bonnie & Clyde. This is a very strange track. Almost a Hip Hop precursor in its odd sample-like repeating sound effects. Could it be Serge Gainsbourg and Jane somebody or other? I don't think I've ever actually heard anything by him but I know his name and a bit about him. Again, I can't imagine playing this very often but it's just weird enough to enjoy.

16) Twangy, reverb laden guitars. Surf guitars with honking sax and odd wordless vocals. I suspect this may have been recorded sometime after surf music's initial incarnation. And by someone who didn't live in surf ready proximity to the ocean. It has an OST quality to it. Another keeper.

Some hits, some misses but a fine Mix Club offering. Thanks to my mixer.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 05 Mar 2015, 06:05

Nick Danger wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:Hello!

Here we go!

#color=#FF0040#I was your mixer this month and I am so pleased you enjoyed it so much# It was a lot of fun to put together and I've listened to it many times myself##/color#

1# ooof! electro rock poppy stuff! Usually pretty much up my street# Don't think I am at all familiar with the artist, though# it sort of sounds like a cross between Killers and Reverend and the Makers #that doesn't sound flattering## I am guessing this band is fairly newish - last ten years or so - and I don't dislike it, but the voice sounds very much like the voice that everyone in this sort of band aspires to# Does that make sense? Probably not# Anyway# NEXT!

#color=#FF0040#This is new wave inspired current band Neon Trees# It's rare for me to include much new music but I liked this song##/color#

2# A lovely, lilting almost country style ditty with a contemporary melancholy female lead# I like the echo and space in the song - as if it's being recorded in a huge cavern# I still have no idea who it is though# It's very nice#

#color=#FF0040#This is Scottish band Camera Obscura with an album track from 2006# Tracyanne Campbell is the singer and songwriter# I'm a fan of that one album "Let's Get Out Of This Country#" #/color#

3# This is French, and I have no chance of knowing who it is# I also can't work out whether it's old or has a deliberate retro production which is driving me mad# I also like it, which as it's French, pisses me off even more :evil:

#color=#FF0040#It's can sometimes be a risk sending a French song to an British girl# It is old, Francoise Hardy from her first album in 1965# I don't understand a word but I like the song##/color#

4# Ooh# A nice bit of REGGAE! Super fucking duper# I'm listening after a couple of vodkas on the headphones and it's all a bit surreal in a good way# It's not French is it?? :evil:

#color=#FF0040#This is Jamaican drum and bass duo extraordinaire Sly Dunbar and Robbie Shakespeare# These guys have played on literally thousands of songs but this is one they released under their own na#es##/color#

5#Crikey# I should know who this is, shouldn't I? Is it Sleater Kinney? I love it# PUNK#

#color=#FF0040#I'm a sucker for all-girl pop/punk bands and this is one I like, the Eyeliners# They put out four albums in the early 2000's and then disappeared##/color#

6#This was lovely, short, sweet, breathy, girly, and mentioned Bank Holidays, so I am not sure what could go wrong#

#color=#FF0040#This group is called Brave Irene# It's the latest all-girl group put together by Rose Melberg #Tiger Trap, the Softies## They made one album in 2011 but nothing since##/color#

7# Oh how gorgeous# Valley of the Dolls theme - Warwick I think though her voice sounds very different from the one I remember# But it's a long time since I heard it, which I regret very much now that I am sat listening to it# I can tell you this, listening to it on headphones in front of the fire is making me feel all fucking warm and gooey#

#color=#FF0040#I've always thought this was a beautiful song and a great vocal by Dionne Warwick##/color#

8# Ramblin on my Mind! But who is the chick? I love it# Listening to this makes me wonder how the fuck I will ever, ever play guitar like this, even if I practice for a thousand years#

#color=#FF0040#It's Lucinda Williams playing a small club in 1981# That's William Hyatt on guitar and Champ Hood on Fiddle playing with her##/color#

9# Well fucking hell# Fucking HELL# I thought as a chunk chunk chunk cha chunk chunk cha chunk this song was ok but the acoustic version is absolutely beautiful# Oh my goodness# I love it# Is it just him? I'm listening to the guitar too - those sounds# oomph# lovely# I must revisit this album# I really should#
10# :lol: Know your audience, I see# Quicksand, a version I'm not familiar with# It's lovely# Let me tell you, I have got the four chords down - where he sings I ain't got the power - and playing them for the first time was so fucking exciting I nearly bled from my ears# Where are you getting all these songs from, love? I need to know!

#color=#FF0040#These two cuts are from a bootleg collection of live acoustic performances from 1996/1997# Most of them are from a club in Atlanta and a BBC radio program# I like these renditions better than the studio album cuts##/color#

11# Oh, you manipulative BASTARD# You have me in tears, you SHIT# You beautiful, sneaky, audience understanding BASTARD# For the benefit of those who aren't listening to what I am, this was Kate singing from Sky of Honey, in London# You know - my memory is that her voice was SO much better than this on the night# Maybe it's just that her voice is the main thing you can hear on this recording - but her voice here really does not do justice to how it sounded live# Nonetheless, it is absolutely lovely to relive#
12# I can repeat what I said at track 11, except I'm crying a bit more# No, really - I'm crying# Like a fucking twat#
13# I can repeat what I said at track 12, except I'm crying even more#

#color=#FF0040#I read your great review of the performance you attended and had to seek out this bootleg# It's from the September 12 show# Before I did this mix I had never heard a single thing by Kate Bush# I knew the na#e but that was all# I have really enjoyed listening to the show# She has an amazing voice and I will be seeking out her albums##/color#

Every time I think about leaving Mix Club - oh I haven't got time, I can't do this, I can't do that, I get a disc and I am so glad that I have it, and this disc being a prime disc in point# Someone has taken the time and energy to do something that I absolutely love and that means the world to me personally# Thank you sender# Thank you from the bottom of my heart#

I don't feel I have much to offer when I do a disc# I rarely try and tailor a disc to suit the taste of an individual, I almost never think 'oh, this person really likes this stuff so they should love this' and I feel guilty for not making more of an effort# Truthfully, I sit down and I think, what songs do I like today# And then I send it# And often my discs are similar or contain the same artists time after time# I don't spend a lot of time composing them either# OnE of the main reasons I have thought of stopping is that I think there's nothing anyone wouldn't have heard before# This disc has made me guilty, because it is beautifull ytailored and builds to a gorgeous climax, and I just don't do that sort of thing for anyone#

Thank you sender#

It was my pleasure. I get a lot of enjoyment out of listening to these mixes myself. I did break what may be an unwritten rule with mix club of including only one track per artist but I think it's ok to do this is if it serves the mix. It's not true in this case but sometimes including 2 or 3 songs by an artist can give a better sample of that artist.

Tracklist-

1. Girls And Boys In School - Neon Trees
2. Dory Previn - Camera Obscura
3. Tous Les Garcons Et Les Filles - Francoise Hardy
4. Steppin' Out - Sly & Robbie
5. Finished With You - The Eyeliners
6. Bank Holiday - Brave Irene
7. Theme from the Valley Of The Dolls - Dionne Warwick
8. Ramblin' On My Mind - Lucinda Williams
9. Dead Man Walking - David Bowie
10. Quicksand - David Bowie
11. Nocturn - Kate Bush
12. Aerial - Kate Bush
13. Among Angels - Kate Bush

Can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate the thought and care that went into my disc. Thank you.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

T. Willy Rye
Spinner of crazy fuck-ass shit

Postby T. Willy Rye » 09 Mar 2015, 02:25

Track 1 is the delightful Look Out Mabel by GL “Davey” Crockett. It's just such a well crafted tune. The little guitar and piano fills make me smile. It's well sung with a perfect little guitar solo. Bedrock of American pop music here.

Track 2 sounds kinda like later period Pointer Sisters or some group of that ilk. This very much hints at what I would come to hate about 80s R&B, but this still stays on the groovy side of that line. Some like Cameo, the Gap Band, Zapp, etc. could still retain a considerable amount of soul with all that studio production and this I'm pleased to say falls into this camp,

Track 3 I'm glad this track was included. It's very much the sort of thing that I might have developed an affection for in the pre-internet days. A simple melancholy piece that I don't have time to appreciate these days. The strings are lovely.

Track 4 sounds like Aaron Neville who, outside of Hercules, I have only found to be pleasant without being very exciting. This pretty much confirms my suspicions.

Track 5 is quite lovely. Didn't the Everly Brothers do this? A man and woman duet on this. Very nicely played.

Track 6 is also a cover. A very old Johnny Cash (maybe one of those Ric Rubin records) and no doubt a much younger female singer doing the Cat Stevens song Father and Son. I can't say this one does much for me. Sorry.

Track 7 Late 50s/early 60s female soul singer. Seems like something like Irma Thomas would've done, but I ain't sure who it is. Nicely sung, but not earth shattering.

Track 8 This is more exciting. The flute is kind of a shocker, but pretty much works here. Like this one a lot.

Track 9 I kinda love this one. That voice. Seems like it would fit on those Dirty Laundry comps. So groovy in an Arkansas kinda way.

Track 10 This sounds like an outtake from a bar band jam, not really rehearsed and the vocals ain't too strong. kind of a rock and roll staple: I Washed My Hands in Muddy Water. S'alright.

Track 11 is an oldtimey sounding novelty track about getting sissy enough to let a gray mule kick my brains out. Fun, but a little will go a long way.

Track 12 is of course great! Love Lightnin' Slim- need to hear my of his stuff.

Track 13 This is a pretty late Jay Farrar track. I think I have this record somewhere. I like it, but not like Trace or Wide Swing Tremolo or definitely not Uncle Tupelo. Still good to know he can pen a pretty nice track here and there. Love the slide guitar. The vocals are a little clumsy.

Track 14 is gorgeous. Is that George Jackson? I don't know this one, but I love it.

Track 15 My mixer knows my fondness for 70s Cop show composers. This is fun. Get 'em Barretta!
Somehow the soprano sax really works here and there are some really interesting noodling interludes here that help keep my attention for 6+ minutes.

Track 16 Early rock and roll track. Swings along nicely and wraps up a really strong mix.

Thanks a lot mixer!

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 11 Mar 2015, 10:47

TG wrote:Okay, it's review time. Another very mixed bag with mixed results but a few things I really want to know more about.

1) A great start. Long a favorite of mine and a track I only recently picked up on a 45. Billy's Bag by Billy Preston. A rollicking, really fun track that must feature Preston Epps on bongoes. I really dig this song.

Indeed, Billy's Bag. Funkier than a mosquito's tweeter. I can heartily recommend the album it's from, which is superbly titled 'The Most Exciting Organ Ever'. I think I might stick it on now, in fact.

TG wrote:2) Percussion heavy ambient style track. Well, for the first couple of minutes, anyway. Then the guitar comes in sounding a bit like Viva Torado by El Chicano. Then some electric piano keeping the same East Side vibe. That's what we call it in L.A., anyway. This sounds a bit like a CD I put out through our own DGS's label a few years back. I don't usually go for tracks this long but this one works. Very hypnotic and very hip.

I didn't know you played. I'd be interested in hearing your track(s). And I should have paid more attention to deegers! Anyway, this is Primal Scream, with Trainspotting, which they made fo rthe film and included on their superb Vanishing Point album. I'm with you on the long tracks thing too, but sometimes they can be great.

TG wrote:3) A sort of U2-like workout with stacks of frantic, scratchy guitars all layered and simple in a kind of punk/funk way. And I don't mean the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Not much of a song as there's no real hook but it works and grows with every listen.

I'd love to hear U2 do something like this! It's a live version of Morning Mr Magpie by Radiohead. I just love those guitars and drums.

TG wrote:4) Nicely finger picked guitar and very earnest, very British vocals. Lyrics are a bit mawkish and I didn't understand the purposely bad singing on the final word. Not my thing.

This Paul Bradley, a Belfast musician and one-time John Peel-fave now based in Bristol. Unusual style, and not for everyone.

TG wrote:
5) Nice female vocals, beautifully produced track with strings, horns and the like. Nothing really wrong here but, again, not really my thing.

It's the production I like on this. It's St Etienne with Hobart Paving, and brings back happy memories for me of my late teens.

TG wrote:6) I can't believe it took me so long to recognize this. Until the words "Disney Girls" came up I was more intrigued by the use of the mandolin in this setting. I haven't heard this in years even though I own it. Nice to hear it again.

It's a wonderful song and a great record, isn't it? It just *sounds* good, you know? A real highllight when I saw them atteh Albert Hall in London a couple of years ago, and I saw that as someone who doesn't think of Bruce as really being part of the band!

TG wrote:7) More ambient synth sounds but this time more jittery, I guess. It doesn't really go anywhere. I know ambient isn't supposed to go anywhere but this is a bit too repetitious.

It's an interlude, really. It's just atmosphere. From Boards of Canada's album Tomorrow's Harvest, from a year or so back. You're quite right that it goes nowhere, really, it's just the sound I like.

TG wrote:8) Is that thunder? A jet taking off? More synths? Ah, perhaps a rocket launching. Sounds of astronauts relaying messages back to Earth, computer generated drum and keyboard samples. This is interesting but a bit long at over eleven minutes.

It's a bit obtuse to include a track this long on a mix club CD, but I thought I'd risk it! It's from the Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld, form about 1991ish. The samples are from Apollo missions, which add to the magic for me, as I'm a sucker for space. If you find this interesting, you might enjoy the album as a whole. It makes a lot more sense as a whole!

TG wrote:9) This is Reverend Gary Davis doing Candy Man. The guitar playing is exquisite. I recent bought a box set by him and this reminds me that I need to revisit it. This is why I love Mix Club - it not only puts new music on your doorstep but also serves as a reminder to dig deeper into your own collection for forgotten or too long ignored music.

I thought we needed to come back to Earth with a bang! I love the line about getting a pitcher to give the baby some beer.

TG wrote:10) Some insanely intricate acoustic guitar picking. A bit like Django Reinhardt, I guess. I'm no expert in this style of music but the musicianship cannot be denied. Like the few Reinhardt records I own; I wouldn't play this often but in the right time and space this is perfection.

It's actually not guitars, but kora, a West African harp. This is a duet between father and son Toumani and Sidiki Diabaté (one is on the left channel, the other on the right, if you're interested). They can trace their lineage back some 70 generations of kora players, o they should be pretty good at it really. I think Toumani is about my favourite musician in the whole world at the moment. I've seen him a number of times and every time it's like witnessing sourcery. Such soulful playing, it's really wonderful. The album they did together last year for World Circuit is absolutely wonderful, if you like this. You're right – in the right place, this is perfect.

TG wrote:11) This is that song by the Supremes that I like but never know the name of. This isn't the Supremes, though. It's a great Motown cop - they have the sound and feel down. The voice is very familiar but I can't place it.

Dusty Springfield, with a cover of the Holland-Dozier-Holland classic on her debut album, A Girl Called Dusty.

TG wrote:12) A cool, Ska version of The First Cut Is The Deepest. Millie Small, maybe? Who knows? This is very good.

Isn't it? It's by Norma Fraser (who also does an amazing version of Respect). Both feature on the Sudio One Soul comp on Soul Jazz. It's all as good as this, it really is. I play it all summer, every summer.

TG wrote:13) Beatle-esque Pop. Or maybe Plastic Ono Band-esque. Spectorish pomp and loads of echo/reverb. Oddly similar to the last track-not in its Skaness but the hooks are similar. I like this a lot.

This is Australian psych-rockers Tame Impala with Feels Like We Only Go Backwards, from their superb 2012 album Lonerism. The whole album is great. Loads of cool, catchy sounds, loads of cool, catchy songs.

TG wrote:14) Some more from Jamaica. Not much to say about it. It's a hip little little riddim track with simple lyrics simply sung. I like it.

This is the legend Roy Shirley, with Wonderful People.

TG wrote:15) Someone singing in French about Bonnie & Clyde. This is a very strange track. Almost a Hip Hop precursor in its odd sample-like repeating sound effects. Could it be Serge Gainsbourg and Jane somebody or other? I don't think I've ever actually heard anything by him but I know his name and a bit about him. Again, I can't imagine playing this very often but it's just weird enough to enjoy.

It is Serge Gainsbourg but with Brigitte Bardot, rather than Jane Birkin. It's been sampled plenty of times, as you predicted. Nobody else made records like Serge. I can't play him often, but at the right time, he's incredible.

TG wrote:16) Twangy, reverb laden guitars. Surf guitars with honking sax and odd wordless vocals. I suspect this may have been recorded sometime after surf music's initial incarnation. And by someone who didn't live in surf ready proximity to the ocean. It has an OST quality to it. Another keeper.

It's by a group called the Cannons, and it's called Bush Fire. I have it on a comp called The Haunted Pad: British instrumental guitar music of the sixties part one 1960-61. That's all I know about it. Good though, eh?

TG wrote:Some hits, some misses but a fine Mix Club offering. Thanks to my mixer.

My pleasure. I'm glad you enjoyed what you did and took the time to listen to it all!

1. Billy's Bag Billy Preston
2. Trainspotting Primal Scream
3. Morning Mr. Magpie (live From The Basement) Radiohead
4. Good Things Happen To Bad People Paul Bradley
5. Hobart Paving St Etienne
6. Disney Girls (1957) The Beach Boys
7. White Cyclosa Boards of Canada
8. Supernova At The End Of The Universe The Orb
9. Candyman Reverend Gary Davis
10. 03 Rachid Ouiguini Toumani Diabate & Sidiki Diabate
11. When The Love Light Starts Shining Thru His Eyes Dusty Springfield
12. The First Cut Is The Deepest Norma Fraser
13. Feels Like We Only Go Backwards Tame Impala
14. Wonderful People Roy Shirley
15. Bonnie And Clyde Serge Gainsbourg & Brigitte Bardot
16. Bush Fire The Cannons

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 15 Mar 2015, 07:41

This was my doing Eric. Apologies for delay in reveal, I've been laid low for the last week or so with some kind of chest infection virus that pretty much knocked me for six. Anyway starting to feel a bit better so here goes.....

T. Willy Rye wrote:Track 1 is the delightful Look Out Mabel by GL “Davey” Crockett. It's just such a well crafted tune. The little guitar and piano fills make me smile. It's well sung with a perfect little guitar solo. Bedrock of American pop music here.

Indeed. In this instance lifted from the Chess edition of the That'll Flat Git It series

Track 2 sounds kinda like later period Pointer Sisters or some group of that ilk. This very much hints at what I would come to hate about 80s R&B, but this still stays on the groovy side of that line. Some like Cameo, the Gap Band, Zapp, etc. could still retain a considerable amount of soul with all that studio production and this I'm pleased to say falls into this camp,

I think you underestimate the production on this, even if it is "of its time" The singer is Gwen Guthrie, but the band is the full Compass Point house band, basically the exact same line up as you'd find on Nightclubbing

Track 3 I'm glad this track was included. It's very much the sort of thing that I might have developed an affection for in the pre-internet days. A simple melancholy piece that I don't have time to appreciate these days. The strings are lovely.

Yeah I kind of got the same buzz when I played this recently. The Avett Brothers

Track 4 sounds like Aaron Neville who, outside of Hercules, I have only found to be pleasant without being very exciting. This pretty much confirms my suspicions.

Aaron indeed

Track 5 is quite lovely. Didn't the Everly Brothers do this? A man and woman duet on this. Very nicely played.

Well the clues are all there. The album is What The Brothers Sang by Bonnie Prince Billy and Dawn McCarthy

Track 6 is also a cover. A very old Johnny Cash (maybe one of those Ric Rubin records) and no doubt a much younger female singer doing the Cat Stevens song Father and Son. I can't say this one does much for me. Sorry.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. The female vocal is Fiona Apple but that is by the by. I am amazed that anyone would not think Johnny Cash singing Father and Son would be great

Track 7 Late 50s/early 60s female soul singer. Seems like something like Irma Thomas would've done, but I ain't sure who it is. Nicely sung, but not earth shattering.

It is indeed Irma Thomas, taken like the Neville track from Vol2 of the Cosimo Matassa Story box set

Track 8 This is more exciting. The flute is kind of a shocker, but pretty much works here. Like this one a lot.

Don Covay plays the blues

Track 9 I kinda love this one. That voice. Seems like it would fit on those Dirty Laundry comps. So groovy in an Arkansas kinda way.

From Jerry Butler's Philadephia Sessions

Track 10 This sounds like an outtake from a bar band jam, not really rehearsed and the vocals ain't too strong. kind of a rock and roll staple: I Washed My Hands in Muddy Water. S'alright.

I can sort of agree with everything you say here. This one is all about the guitar and nothing else. The band is Nashville West but the guitarist (one of those who probably earn the "guitarists guitarist" tag is Clarence White

Track 11 is an oldtimey sounding novelty track about getting sissy enough to let a gray mule kick my brains out. Fun, but a little will go a long way.

Only included as a throwaway diversion. Taken from a comp and raised a smile when I played it. I had to laugh when following the list of "sissy" activities, we suddenly get "If I do the dishes for my wife" - Different times eh ?

Track 12 is of course great! Love Lightnin' Slim- need to hear my of his stuff.

Yeah I'm always on the lookout for any blues with that raw Wolf/Elmore feel

Track 13 This is a pretty late Jay Farrar track. I think I have this record somewhere. I like it, but not like Trace or Wide Swing Tremolo or definitely not Uncle Tupelo. Still good to know he can pen a pretty nice track here and there. Love the slide guitar. The vocals are a little clumsy.

Seem to remember you being a big Uncle Tupelo fan so figured this wouldn't be too far wide of the mark

Track 14 is gorgeous. Is that George Jackson? I don't know this one, but I love it.

From George Jackson at Muscle Shoals. Note that this is from his stint at the breakaway studio after his earlier stint at Fame.

Track 15 My mixer knows my fondness for 70s Cop show composers. This is fun. Get 'em Barretta!
Somehow the soprano sax really works here and there are some really interesting noodling interludes here that help keep my attention for 6+ minutes.

Well if this didn't get thumbs up I was going to take my ball home. I think on the last mix I sent you there were a couple of tracks from the Funk Experience Eastern European edition. From the South African edition of the same series.

Track 16 Early rock and roll track. Swings along nicely and wraps up a really strong mix.

Where we came in Another track from That'll Flat Git It Chess edition Rusty York

Thanks a lot mixer!

You're welcome

1. GI Crockett - Look Out Mabel
2. Gwen Guthrie - Peek-A-Boo
3. The Avett Brothers - I And Love And You
4. Aaron Neville - Even Though (Reality)
5. Bonnie Prince Billy and Dawn McCarthy - Empty Boxes
6. Johnny Cash & Fiona Apple - Father And Son
7. Irma Thomas - Cry On
8. Don Covay - Four Women
9. Jerry Butler - Lost
10. Nashville West - I Washed My Hands In Muddy Water
11. Billy Briggs - Sissy Song
12. Lightnin' Slim - Don't Start me Talking
13. Jay Farrar - California
14. George Jackson - Help Me I'm In Need
15. Dick Khoza - African Jive Moto
16. Rusty York - Sugaree

We're way past rhubarb

TG

Postby TG » 18 Mar 2015, 02:26

bhoywonder wrote:[

2. Trainspotting Primal Scream - I suppose I should have recognized this as I own it.

11. When The Love Light Starts Shining Thru His Eyes Dusty Springfield - Surprised I didn't recognize the voice. It's so obvious once you know.

13. Feels Like We Only Go Backwards Tame Impala - This is good. I'll have to explore this band.

Thanks again.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 24 Mar 2015, 15:49

Mix this month from La Minx.

Excellent stuff, although it should have ended after track 9 :D

1) I’m a sucker for all this punk pop stuff. This is fantastic like The Rezillos on speed
2) Lovely bit of baroque chamber pop
3) Great crunchy guitar intro leads into a cover of Knowing Me Knowing You done power pop style. Is this from one of the Sweet/Hoffs albums. Great cover of a great song.
4) OK I was all set to do this one down as the first misfire. There’s one major issue here. Anyone who sings with that awful clipped enunciation with glottal stops everywhere, always annoys the hell out of me and has me reaching for fast forward. However this was so great I had no option but to hold my prejudices in check and enjoy.
5) Is this TTD, in which case hell yeah. He really should come back with the album he is probably still capable of and show the current crop of new soul pretenders a clean pair of heels, instead of all that name change and mysticism bollocks he seems to be more interested in.
6) As with track 1. Not quite as full on and frantic so I preferred track 1 but this was enjoyable all the same,
7) Has that great dense feel like The Black Keys, but sounds uncannily like T Rex in places. Odd but I like it
8) As with track 4 this does tap into one of my pet hates – All that “I don’t need a tune to sing – I’m a poet” pretentious bollocks, but again this won me round. It has that everything AND the kitchen sink heavy vibe a la The Hold Steady. In the end the sheer energy and full on madness of this won me over.
9) Amazingly I still haven’t got this album so this was a reminder to remedy that. This track is gorgeous and the best thing I’ve heard from her since Dream Of Life

So there we have it , a pretty great mix Oh hang on I suppose in fairness I should finish the job…….

10) Actually I could sort of forgive this. It just kind of came and went. Sounds like the intro to a song that never arrives. I always struggle to get anything out of this chill vibe kind of thing.
11) This however outstays its welcome after about 30 seconds and then unfortunately continues for another eleven minutes. I simply cannot imagine listening to this for pleasure. That repeated one note throughout is like some kind of Chinese water torture. Horrible.

Thanks Anna, 9/11 is a pretty solid score.
We're way past rhubarb

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 25 Mar 2015, 01:36

1. A fun slice of progressive, funky rock. Good fuzz guitar and organ. Let down a bit by the run-of-the-mill vocalist, but a fine opener.
2. Probably my fave Cocker tune, ‘Hitchcock Railway’. So many great memories attached to this song. Thank you for bringing them back.
3. Great funky rock mix, hard soul vocals and Hendrixy guitar grooves. I’m sure I should know this one.
4. A mid-tempo bluesy/country rock shuffle, lots of good echo-ey hollow-bodied guitar. Again, I think I should know this singer, but can’t place him or this tune.
5. Lots of country steel attached to a big, well-arranged number that I really like. That little piano melody is a good earworm. The vocalist sounds young, and her voice is a bit limited, but the tune is top-notch.
6. More country steel, but a more trad. Country song. Fine male/female duo singing though. The kinda song you can turn back to often, like a well-worn, comfortable pair of jeans.
7. ‘Next Time’, the lead off cut from Chris Harding’s Soul Power LP. One of my fave records from last year.
8. Another contemporary soul singer but can’t place him. A nice tune.
9. A 70s soul number by the production, with quite a harrowing subject matter that doesn’t quite gel with the uptempo rhythms of the tune (at least for me). A good song in many ways, but those drums are way too loud and up-front in the mix, I think, and distract from the emotion of the lyrics.
10. More unashamed contemporary soul, and a good one. Great band sound, and the singer holds nothing back. Good stuff.
11. The Bamboos, with Alice Russell here. One of my homeland’s best groups of the past decade.
12. A song that captures well that musical moment when one strand soul began turning into disco. A floorfiller for sure.
13. DBTs with ‘Rebels’ from The Fine Print. Great band. ‘Mama Bake A Pie’ is the one for me from this set, what a tune.
14. Funky rock, ok in its way, but doesn’t grab me that much.
15. More funky rock, but this one is better, deep-fried Southern style sound that has a nice punch to it and gets the energy right. It’s not rocket science, but it’s gotta be done right.

Thanks mixer.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 28 Mar 2015, 19:39

Hello Paul! Yes, I was your mixer for the month. How on earth did you know!!! So without further ado, on with the reveal....

1) I’m a sucker for all this punk pop stuff. This is fantastic like The Rezillos on speed

Well, quite! The glorious, the fabulous, the punk tastic 999 with HI Energy Plan. I can guarantee that if you like this, you'll like everything else they ever did.

2) Lovely bit of baroque chamber pop

23rd Turnoff with Michelangelo! Great innit?

3) Great crunchy guitar intro leads into a cover of Knowing Me Knowing You done power pop style. Is this from one of the Sweet/Hoffs albums. Great cover of a great song.

Yes, this is The Wondermints version. Funnily enough,I didn't think you would like this...pleased you did!

4) OK I was all set to do this one down as the first misfire. There’s one major issue here. Anyone who sings with that awful clipped enunciation with glottal stops everywhere, always annoys the hell out of me and has me reaching for fast forward. However this was so great I had no option but to hold my prejudices in check and enjoy.

Keep Your Head by the Ting Tings! Love em or hate em, they're like Marmite in that respect.

5) Is this TTD, in which case hell yeah. He really should come back with the album he is probably still capable of and show the current crop of new soul pretenders a clean pair of heels, instead of all that name change and mysticism bollocks he seems to be more interested in.

Correct. TTD and 'Rain'.

6) As with track 1. Not quite as full on and frantic so I preferred track 1 but this was enjoyable all the same,

Snatch and 'All I Want'

7) Has that great dense feel like The Black Keys, but sounds uncannily like T Rex in places. Odd but I like it

Hee hee! Rocket Machine by Opal

8) As with track 4 this does tap into one of my pet hates – All that “I don’t need a tune to sing – I’m a poet” pretentious bollocks, but again this won me round. It has that everything AND the kitchen sink heavy vibe a la The Hold Steady. In the end the sheer energy and full on madness of this won me over.

Canadian Punk outfit NoMeansNo with 'The Day Everything Became Nothing' one of those songs that gives me a joyous smile every time I hear it

9) Amazingly I still haven’t got this album so this was a reminder to remedy that. This track is gorgeous and the best thing I’ve heard from her since Dream Of Life

Yes, so you know it's Patti SMith and 'This is the Girl'

So there we have it , a pretty great mix Oh hang on I suppose in fairness I should finish the job…….

10) Actually I could sort of forgive this. It just kind of came and went. Sounds like the intro to a song that never arrives. I always struggle to get anything out of this chill vibe kind of thing.

Ha, you can't like everything! This is Zero 7 and 'Give it Away.'' Which y0u probably will :D

11) This however outstays its welcome after about 30 seconds and then unfortunately continues for another eleven minutes. I simply cannot imagine listening to this for pleasure. That repeated one note throughout is like some kind of Chinese water torture. Horrible.

:D Stereolab and 'Blue Milk'

You know, I just compared your list to my mix and it looks like one track didnt burn to your CD - it was going to be some Snoop Dogg, so I doubt I was going to introduce you to anything very new. Glad you enjoyed for the most part!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 02 Apr 2015, 12:25

Thanks Anna

Knowing 999 were pretty much first generation punk I'd kind of dismissed them as probably the usual shouty bollocks, Glad to be proved wrong.

I can instantly disprove your marmite theory re The Ting Tings. I'm sure it was them I was trying to think of when I mentioned that horrible enunciation. I really want to slap her at times. I really hate much of their stuff. That's Not My Name was rubbish, but I always loved Shut Up And Let Me Go, so I'll file this one next to it in the guilty pleasures drawer.

And yes I have now bought the Patti Smith album.
We're way past rhubarb

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 15 May 2015, 10:10

I had a disc of rock’n’roll music. How delightful!

1. Great, dirty guitars, shouter vocal somewhere between Big Joe Turner and Howlin Wolf, and a stomping song to boot. Splendid.
2. Groovier cut, sounds like a Brit-invasion band, but I don’t recognize it. It sounds cool, though, doesn’t it?
3. Groovy latin-tinged r&b, probably a northern soul classic. It’s like a funky Fever. Short and sweet.
4. Decent-sounding record, but the song kind of passed me by a bit. Superb performance can save a record though, and this is a pretty wild stab at it.
5. From the blues stomp end of the rock’n’roll spectrum, this is an odd one. The groove changes drastically at will, disarmingly so, at times. It’s good fun, but it feels la little like it’s trying a bit hard.
6. Sub-Ray Charles r&b groove. Love those background singers, so snappy.
7. Is this Little Richard? I mean, it is (isn’t it?), but it kind of also doesn’t sound like him. It’s amazing, so much energy, it’s incredible. It’s really incredible.
8. Yes! Yes yes yes! Fucking hell, this is great. He sings the wolf man, and he howls, but it’s not howling wolf. Storming rockabilly. I love it.
9. This one sort of passed me by. Sub-motown (or possibly Motown?) pop, but not a great song or production, I didn’t think. Nice enough, just within the context of the rest of the mix, which is all solid gold, it left me.
10. Muscle Shoals groove, isn’t it? Certainly sounds it, although maybe more influenced by than actual Fame. I don’t recognise the singer or the song, but it’s a great-sounding record.
11. I reckon this feller’s heard Elvis. Ha! It’s cool, apart fro the ridiculous Elvis impersonation (it’s not Elvis, is it?). Nice guitar sound.
12. Early rhythm and blues, and very nice it is too. Chicago? Early 50s? Quite shouty vocal, hot guitar break, stomping backline, a good jitterbug.
13. This sounds a bit like Arthur Alexander, but I don’t think it’s him. It doesn’t sound quite smooth enough, but the backing really reminds me of him. It’s good, if more than a little scratchy.
14. Funky latin-influenced instrumental, on the cusp of a surf-guitar wave. Lovely sounds.
15. Pumping rhythm and blues form the jump end of the spectrum to close. Delicious guitar. A fine closer.

Really, what a bloody great collection. Thanks so much, and my apologies for the delayed review. I’ve been enjoying it, but have been so hectic I never quite managed to get the time to complete the review. Sorry. But thanks. I can’t wait for this reveal, which is going to prove expensive.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 28 May 2015, 08:39

bhoywonder wrote:I had a disc of rock’n’roll music. How delightful!

A disc of music very close to my heart.

1. Great, dirty guitars, shouter vocal somewhere between Big Joe Turner and Howlin Wolf, and a stomping song to boot. Splendid.
A Mickey Baker vehicle this one, under the guise of Eddie Riff. Rolled gold 50s rock and roll superstar.

2. Groovier cut, sounds like a Brit-invasion band, but I don’t recognize it. It sounds cool, though, doesn’t it?
Out of Washington DC on Loop records with Bobby Parker playing and producing, this is Nat Hall with some groovy, bluesy soul.

3. Groovy latin-tinged r&b, probably a northern soul classic. It’s like a funky Fever. Short and sweet.
Swampy delta soul with Charles Sheffield on Excello.

4. Decent-sounding record, but the song kind of passed me by a bit. Superb performance can save a record though, and this is a pretty wild stab at it.
Despite the terrible lo-fi sound, Fred Hughes and group lift this to a wonderful level for me. Late 60s rockin soul, burning bright.

5. From the blues stomp end of the rock’n’roll spectrum, this is an odd one. The groove changes drastically at will, disarmingly so, at times. It’s good fun, but it feels la little like it’s trying a bit hard.
Detroit blues and R&B stalwart Eddie Burns mixing the latin and blues colours here, and I love that stuff. A fine blues guitarist too.

Vernon Harrell here, who also was in the Coasters in the 60s too. R&B with boogaloo lashings throughout, a taste I very much love.

7. Is this Little Richard? I mean, it is (isn’t it?), but it kind of also doesn’t sound like him. It’s amazing, so much energy, it’s incredible. It’s really incredible.
One of the very greatest '50s Little Richard rips ever for my money, from the perfectly named and practically unknown Little Ike. Simply glorious.

8. Yes! Yes yes yes! Fucking hell, this is great. He sings the wolf man, and he howls, but it’s not howling wolf. Storming rockabilly. I love it.
There is probably no official genre named Garage/Rockabilly/Soul/R&B, but I love the sound you get when these genres somehow mix, and Round Robin and band capture it perfectly.

9. This one sort of passed me by. Sub-motown (or possibly Motown?) pop, but not a great song or production, I didn’t think. Nice enough, just within the context of the rest of the mix, which is all solid gold, it left me.
He would go on to have more success in the 70s with Raw Soul and Maze, but Frankie Beverly doing ‘If That’s What You Wanted’ with the Butlers never fails to get my feet moving.

10. Muscle Shoals groove, isn’t it? Certainly sounds it, although maybe more influenced by than actual Fame. I don’t recognise the singer or the song, but it’s a great-sounding record.
The emotive voice of ‘Little Ann’ Bridgeforth – not to be confused with the earlier Little Ann who did ‘It’s Too Late’ with Tarheel Slim – who did this single and about one LPs worth of material in Detroit with producer Dave Hamilton, before disappearing for decades until Brit soul cratediggers dug up this single and wanted more. A great funky soul tune and story.

11. I reckon this feller’s heard Elvis. Ha! It’s cool, apart from the ridiculous Elvis impersonation (it’s not Elvis, is it?). Nice guitar sound.
Yep, it’s all about the sound here, I absolutely love it. A mid-60s tune by The Recalls, rockabilly-garage in extremis and done with such energy that it totally works, right down to the Elvis-channelling vocalist.

12. Early rhythm and blues, and very nice it is too. Chicago? Early 50s? Quite shouty vocal, hot guitar break, stomping backline, a good jitterbug.
Roy Gaines doing his ’56 version of the classic ‘Worried About You Baby’ for NY’s Groove Records, which means that despite being a renowned guitarist himself, that is undoubtedly Mickey Baker taking the lead break here. Check out Maylon Humphries' rockabilly version from '57 too if you don't know it, with James Burton on guitar.

13. This sounds a bit like Arthur Alexander, but I don’t think it’s him. It doesn’t sound quite smooth enough, but the backing really reminds me of him. It’s good, if more than a little scratchy.
Little Junior Lewis here, on one of the handful of single sides he cut for Bobby Robinson’s Fury records, with ‘Wild’ Jimmy Spruill on guitar.

14. Funky latin-influenced instrumental, on the cusp of a surf-guitar wave. Lovely sounds.
Johnny Jones and the King Casuals from ‘68, long after Jimi Hendrix and Billy Cox split for pastures wide, with probably the rockingest side they ever cut, ‘Soul Poppin’.

15. Pumping rhythm and blues form the jump end of the spectrum to close. Delicious guitar. A fine closer.
And to close out it’s Young Jessie with ‘Hit Git And Split’, on Modern Records from ’56, which appropriately also has Mickey Baker guesting not only as lead guit-slinger but also co-writer. I’ve been quite obsessed with Baker over the last few years, the breadth and quality of his work during much of the 50s and 60s was extraordinary, but is too often forgotten these days.

Really, what a bloody great collection. Thanks so much, and my apologies for the delayed review. I’ve been enjoying it, but have been so hectic I never quite managed to get the time to complete the review. Sorry. But thanks. I can’t wait for this reveal, which is going to prove expensive.
Very glad you enjoyed it.

Feb mix for bhoy
1. Eddie Riff - My Baby's Gone Away
2. Nat Hall - Why (I Want To Know)
3. Charles Sheffield - It's Your Voodoo Working
4. Fred Hughes - I Keep Tryin'
5. Eddie Burns - Mean And Evil (Baby)
6. Vernon Harrell - Slick Chick
7. Little Ike - She Can Rock
8. Round Robin - I'm The Wolf Man
9. Frankie Beverly & The Butlers - If That's What You Wanted
10. Little Ann - Going Down A One-Way Street (The Wrong Way)
11. The Recalls - Nobody's Guy
12. Roy Gaines - Worried 'Bout You Baby
13. Little Junior Lewis - Can She Give Me Fever
14. Johnny Jones & the King Casuals - Soul Poppin'
15. Young Jessie - Hit Git And Split
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 29 May 2015, 09:45

fangedango! wrote:1. A fun slice of progressive, funky rock. Good fuzz guitar and organ. Let down a bit by the run-of-the-mill vocalist, but a fine opener.
2. Probably my fave Cocker tune, ‘Hitchcock Railway’. So many great memories attached to this song. Thank you for bringing them back.
3. Great funky rock mix, hard soul vocals and Hendrixy guitar grooves. I’m sure I should know this one.
4. A mid-tempo bluesy/country rock shuffle, lots of good echo-ey hollow-bodied guitar. Again, I think I should know this singer, but can’t place him or this tune.
5. Lots of country steel attached to a big, well-arranged number that I really like. That little piano melody is a good earworm. The vocalist sounds young, and her voice is a bit limited, but the tune is top-notch.
6. More country steel, but a more trad. Country song. Fine male/female duo singing though. The kinda song you can turn back to often, like a well-worn, comfortable pair of jeans.
7. ‘Next Time’, the lead off cut from Chris Harding’s Soul Power LP. One of my fave records from last year.
8. Another contemporary soul singer but can’t place him. A nice tune.
9. A 70s soul number by the production, with quite a harrowing subject matter that doesn’t quite gel with the uptempo rhythms of the tune (at least for me). A good song in many ways, but those drums are way too loud and up-front in the mix, I think, and distract from the emotion of the lyrics.
10. More unashamed contemporary soul, and a good one. Great band sound, and the singer holds nothing back. Good stuff.
11. The Bamboos, with Alice Russell here. One of my homeland’s best groups of the past decade.
12. A song that captures well that musical moment when one strand soul began turning into disco. A floorfiller for sure.
13. DBTs with ‘Rebels’ from The Fine Print. Great band. ‘Mama Bake A Pie’ is the one for me from this set, what a tune.
14. Funky rock, ok in its way, but doesn’t grab me that much.
15. More funky rock, but this one is better, deep-fried Southern style sound that has a nice punch to it and gets the energy right. It’s not rocket science, but it’s gotta be done right.

Thanks mixer.

Here's the playlist, Ange:

01. Greatest show on earth - Real cool world
02. Joe Cocker - Hitchcock railway
03. Black Merda - Prophet
04. Richard Hawley - Dark road
05. Nikki Lane - Want my heart back
06. Kelly Mickwee - Beautiful accidents
07. Curtis Harding - Next time
08. Allen Stone - Sleep
09. Clarence Reid - Please stay home
10. St.Paul & the Broken Bones - Doesn't mean a thing
11. Alice Russell/Bamboos - Step it up
12. Kokomo - Kitty sittin' pretty
13. Drive by truckers - Rebels
14. The Dirty Guv'nahs - Can you feel it
15. Trigger Hippy - Cave hill cemetary
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 01 Jun 2015, 07:55

Thanks, Yves.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 01 Jun 2015, 08:56

fangedango! wrote:
bhoywonder wrote:I had a disc of rock’n’roll music. How delightful!

A disc of music very close to my heart.

A Mickey Baker vehicle this one, under the guise of Eddie Riff. Rolled gold 50s rock and roll superstar.

Out of Washington DC on Loop records with Bobby Parker playing and producing, this is Nat Hall with some groovy, bluesy soul.

Swampy delta soul with Charles Sheffield on Excello.

Despite the terrible lo-fi sound, Fred Hughes and group lift this to a wonderful level for me. Late 60s rockin soul, burning bright.

Detroit blues and R&B stalwart Eddie Burns mixing the latin and blues colours here, and I love that stuff. A fine blues guitarist too.

Vernon Harrell here, who also was in the Coasters in the 60s too. R&B with boogaloo lashings throughout, a taste I very much love.

One of the very greatest '50s Little Richard rips ever for my money, from the perfectly named and practically unknown Little Ike. Simply glorious.

There is probably no official genre named Garage/Rockabilly/Soul/R&B, but I love the sound you get when these genres somehow mix, and Round Robin and band capture it perfectly.

He would go on to have more success in the 70s with Raw Soul and Maze, but Frankie Beverly doing ‘If That’s What You Wanted’ with the Butlers never fails to get my feet moving.

The emotive voice of ‘Little Ann’ Bridgeforth – not to be confused with the earlier Little Ann who did ‘It’s Too Late’ with Tarheel Slim – who did this single and about one LPs worth of material in Detroit with producer Dave Hamilton, before disappearing for decades until Brit soul cratediggers dug up this single and wanted more. A great funky soul tune and story.

11. I reckon this feller’s heard Elvis. Ha! It’s cool, apart from the ridiculous Elvis impersonation (it’s not Elvis, is it?). Nice guitar sound.
Yep, it’s all about the sound here, I absolutely love it. A mid-60s tune by The Recalls, rockabilly-garage in extremis and done with such energy that it totally works, right down to the Elvis-channelling vocalist.

Roy Gaines doing his ’56 version of the classic ‘Worried About You Baby’ for NY’s Groove Records, which means that despite being a renowned guitarist himself, that is undoubtedly Mickey Baker taking the lead break here. Check out Maylon Humphries' rockabilly version from '57 too if you don't know it, with James Burton on guitar.

Little Junior Lewis here, on one of the handful of single sides he cut for Bobby Robinson’s Fury records, with ‘Wild’ Jimmy Spruill on guitar.

Johnny Jones and the King Casuals from ‘68, long after Jimi Hendrix and Billy Cox split for pastures wide, with probably the rockingest side they ever cut, ‘Soul Poppin’.

And to close out it’s Young Jessie with ‘Hit Git And Split’, on Modern Records from ’56, which appropriately also has Mickey Baker guesting not only as lead guit-slinger but also co-writer. I’ve been quite obsessed with Baker over the last few years, the breadth and quality of his work during much of the 50s and 60s was extraordinary, but is too often forgotten these days.

Very glad you enjoyed it.

Feb mix for bhoy
1. Eddie Riff - My Baby's Gone Away
2. Nat Hall - Why (I Want To Know)
3. Charles Sheffield - It's Your Voodoo Working
4. Fred Hughes - I Keep Tryin'
5. Eddie Burns - Mean And Evil (Baby)
6. Vernon Harrell - Slick Chick
7. Little Ike - She Can Rock
8. Round Robin - I'm The Wolf Man
9. Frankie Beverly & The Butlers - If That's What You Wanted
10. Little Ann - Going Down A One-Way Street (The Wrong Way)
11. The Recalls - Nobody's Guy
12. Roy Gaines - Worried 'Bout You Baby
13. Little Junior Lewis - Can She Give Me Fever
14. Johnny Jones & the King Casuals - Soul Poppin'
15. Young Jessie - Hit Git And Split

Thanks again. Lots for me to investigate further. I didn't know Mickey Baker before this, so he's my first port of call. And I'm definitely going to hunt that Little Richard LP.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 01 Jun 2015, 13:49

bhoywonder wrote: And I'm definitely going to hunt that Little Richard LP.

'She Can Rock' was just a single, and the only one Isaac "Little Ike" Hamilton ever released too, I think. But you can find it on this collection, which is pretty great as well.

Jonny Spencer wrote:

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 02 Jun 2015, 08:52

fangedango! wrote:
bhoywonder wrote: And I'm definitely going to hunt that Little Richard LP.

'She Can Rock' was just a single, and the only one Isaac "Little Ike" Hamilton ever released too, I think. But you can find it on this collection, which is pretty great as well.

Ah, right, I misunderstood your comment at first (I read it that it was from a Little Richard record called Little Ike...deary me!). I might pick that comp up though if there's more like this on it.

Return to “Mix Club”