February 2015 Reviews

Exchange mix CDs with each other.
Oscar
Northern Taoist

February 2015 Reviews

Postby Oscar » 18 Feb 2015, 12:31

I've really enjoyed reviewing this... been at it all fucking morning... here goes..

1. Beautiful symphonic pop song which is achingly evocative of the radio days of my childhood. I immediately recognised the musical signature during the “overture” and concluded that this must be David McWilliams. An uneducated guess. Whoever it may be it is an enchanting song. Good start!

2. You’d be pushed to offend me with a David Sylvian track. This is delightful… Blackwater from Everything and Nothing (I had to look)… and it serves to remind me how neglectful I am with his music.

3. Smooth, modern, semi-acoustic song with an annoyingly familiar male vocal. Sweet and appropriate to the mood.

4. Another familiar sound. One of those immortal, dusty folk-rock acoustic ballads. Lovely musical layers… the bagpipe or uilleann pipes (I’m clueless) hardly recognisable in the background until the last few seconds.

5. Laughin’ Len from his last album. It took me a long, long time (and an overdue attendance at one of his concerts) to appreciate his later albums but once you get there it’s like a warm, comforting hug from a long lost companion. I’ll never abandon you again, Leonard.

6. Happy but gentle and typically African folk song. Lovely rhythmic guitars and understated vocals. Charming.

7. Interesting track. I get my plainsong, plainchants, polyphonic and monophonics mixed up these days but this is a choral chant accompanied by saxophone.

8. This sounds so much like Colin Blunstone that it actually has to be him. I’ve only got his debut album (One Year) but it’s got that familiar string backing that I love so much. In fact the missus walked in while I was playing it and she said “That’s wotsisface, innit?”

9. This has to be John Betjeman? I only really know his railway poem – the one that was set to film in the early 60’s - but his voice is so iconic. It’s a lovely touch and I’m moved to look more closely at his works.

10. A crashing wave of nostalgic, wistful emotion. It triggered all sorts of orange tinted images from the psychedelic era of the late 60’s early 70’s. I mean, I was only a pre-pubescent pup but… anyway… yes, I love this. Jaunty, (barely) psychedelic pop tune that frustrates me because I don’t know who it is. I’m reminded of Box Tops and Sagittarius but I won’t commit to a guess.

11. More sunshine pop but I recognise the vocalist. Now, I like the song but this is where nostalgia works both ways because I fucking hated the lead singer when I was a kid. He used to turn up in TV films and shitty B-Movies and he was just an annoying twat. I don’t even know his name but I remember his toady little face and… Sorry…

12. Now these are uilleann pipes aren’t they? I could have done with this last summer whilst we were touring the Outer Hebrides in Uncle Freddie (our cherished VW camper). I made a compilation for the trip which was 23hrs and 38mins long and at the time I tried to find some suitable celtic tunes but gave up. Anyways, this is nice.

13. Well… this would be called the “comic break”. Any compilation benefits from an intro an outro and a middletro. This got a cautious snigger but I was ultimately fascinated throughout by how much this sounded like Iggy Pop. Surely not.

14. I’d put money on this being Sondheim – definetly a show tune. It’s not familiar at all but it’s got that fascinating oddness of Sondheim (dirty old sailors trying to politely and eloquently get a shag) and I’m going to look a right dick if it isn’t him. Interesting stuff. I heard a track by him a few years ago and it had me mesmerised just by its sheer peculiarity – something to do with a hat… Finishing the Hat - Sunday In The Park With George (I Googled)

15. Pretty piano ballad that collects some additional instruments along the way (Acoustic guitar and clarinet). I’m slightly intrigued by the vocal as I can’t fully decide whether it’s a man with an effeminate voice or a woman with a husky tone. The lyrics eluded me but it was nice enough.

16. Live, acoustic… the tune up and the brief chat exposed this to be Jake Thackray. I’m not a great fan of the “Northern Noel Coward” but this was quite funny and very clever.

17. A light country rock song that pleasantly wanders along. The vocal sounds familiar so I’m curious. It’s saved from insignificance by it’s sheer charm.

18. Really curious about this one. Sensuous music backdrop with strings, piano and clumping heartbeat drums. She sounds French… nice.

Well, that was the best and most enjoyable mix I’ve had this year. It was actually one of the most enjoyable I’ve had ever… definitely top 5. I think the first 10 tracks were perfect. Many thanks! Looking forward to the reveal.

whodathunkit

Re: February 2015 Reviews

Postby whodathunkit » 19 Feb 2015, 18:30

Oscar51 wrote:I've really enjoyed reviewing this... been at it all fucking morning... here goes..

I actually put in a bid for you this month matey. It gave me a chance to indulge a few quirks. And these were they:

1. Beautiful symphonic pop song which is achingly evocative of the radio days of my childhood. I immediately recognised the musical signature during the “overture” and concluded that this must be David McWilliams. An uneducated guess. Whoever it may be it is an enchanting song. Good start!

"Overture/Candlelight" from McWilliams 1979 album When I Was A Dancer - very much his swansong and excellent throughout.Lots of rich orchestration and story songs.

2. You’d be pushed to offend me with a David Sylvian track. This is delightful… Blackwater from Everything and Nothing (I had to look)… and it serves to remind me how neglectful I am with his music.

From the Rain Tree Crow/Japan reunion thingy. The recent Victim of Stars is a really good anthology and set me off re-discovering Mr Sylvian.

3. Smooth, modern, semi-acoustic song with an annoyingly familiar male vocal. Sweet and appropriate to the mood.

"Hands of the Saints" from Citizen Cope's eponymous 2002 debut. Worryingly modern for me but I like his stuff

4. Another familiar sound. One of those immortal, dusty folk-rock acoustic ballads. Lovely musical layers… the bagpipe or uilleann pipes (I’m clueless) hardly recognisable in the background until the last few seconds.

Fascinating bloke - Bobby Darin. A chamelon but all the colours are pleasing."The Girl Who Stood Beside Me" from a corking anthology of his late period called Moods/Swings. Great use of bagpipes - not a phrase I ever thought I'd use.

5. Laughin’ Len from his last album. It took me a long, long time (and an overdue attendance at one of his concerts) to appreciate his later albums but once you get there it’s like a warm, comforting hug from a long lost companion. I’ll never abandon you again, Leonard.

Popular Problems and the one before it,Old Ideas have some top notch Lenny and surprisingly little filler for an 80-year old. This one's "You Got Me Singing".

6. Happy but gentle and typically African folk song. Lovely rhythmic guitars and understated vocals. Charming.

SE Rogie, born in Sierra Leone, died in Finchley. The sweeter side of African music."Jojo Yalahjo(How I Lost My Wife)" from his 1994 album, the wonderfully -titled Dead Men Don't Smoke Marijuana".

7. Interesting track. I get my plainsong, plainchants, polyphonic and monophonics mixed up these days but this is a choral chant accompanied by saxophone.

"Tres Morillas" from an album called Officium Novum featuring the Hilliard Ensemble and Norwegian saxophonist Jan Garbarek. I have to admit that after 3 or 4 tracks you just want him to shut the fuck up and just let the fellers sing but nice in small doses.

8. This sounds so much like Colin Blunstone that it actually has to be him. I’ve only got his debut album (One Year) but it’s got that familiar string backing that I love so much. In fact the missus walked in while I was playing it and she said “That’s wotsisface, innit?”

From his 2009 album The Ghost of You and Me, this song, "Keep the Curtains Closed Today" was originally on Journey back in the 70s but was more or less ruined by a monstrous heavenly choir that comes booming in halfway through.This 2009 version simply has the quartet but unfortunately Blunstone's voice has lost some of that "soulful choirboy" feel over the years. Still rather lovely though.

9. This has to be John Betjeman? I only really know his railway poem – the one that was set to film in the early 60’s - but his voice is so iconic. It’s a lovely touch and I’m moved to look more closely at his works.

From Late Flowering Love, one of a series of collaborations with composer Jim Parker in the late 60s/early 70s. The combo doesn't always mesh and it sometimes feels like Betjeman is shouting over the arrangements.When it works though, like this one "Eunice", it has a real charm.

10. A crashing wave of nostalgic, wistful emotion. It triggered all sorts of orange tinted images from the psychedelic era of the late 60’s early 70’s. I mean, I was only a pre-pubescent pup but… anyway… yes, I love this. Jaunty, (barely) psychedelic pop tune that frustrates me because I don’t know who it is. I’m reminded of Box Tops and Sagittarius but I won’t commit to a guess.

Sunshine pop is a real weakness of mine. Something to do with the optimistic naivity of the performer and the miserable old sodness of the listener :D .Anyway this is the perfectly-named Eternitys Children, produced by the great Curt Boettcher and "Mrs Bluebird".

11. More sunshine pop but I recognise the vocalist. Now, I like the song but this is where nostalgia works both ways because I fucking hated the lead singer when I was a kid. He used to turn up in TV films and shitty B-Movies and he was just an annoying twat. I don’t even know his name but I remember his toady little face and… Sorry…

Most of these bands couldn't manage more than a couple of goodies but I would recommend a full comp of this lot.The Holy Mackerel who were Paul Williams first band, and "Bitter Honey".

12. Now these are uilleann pipes aren’t they? I could have done with this last summer whilst we were touring the Outer Hebrides in Uncle Freddie (our cherished VW camper). I made a compilation for the trip which was 23hrs and 38mins long and at the time I tried to find some suitable celtic tunes but gave up. Anyways, this is nice.

Technically I think they're Northumbrian smallpipes but WTF. Kathryn Tickell and her band, The Side, and a tune called "Stonehaugh" from their latest.

13. Well… this would be called the “comic break”. Any compilation benefits from an intro an outro and a middletro. This got a cautious snigger but I was ultimately fascinated throughout by how much this sounded like Iggy Pop. Surely not.

Well, it is Iggy, bringing down the tone on the Son Of Rogues Gallery comp with "Asshole Rules The Navy". A future in Gilbert and Sullivan awaits.

14. I’d put money on this being Sondheim – definetly a show tune. It’s not familiar at all but it’s got that fascinating oddness of Sondheim (dirty old sailors trying to politely and eloquently get a shag) and I’m going to look a right dick if it isn’t him. Interesting stuff. I heard a track by him a few years ago and it had me mesmerised just by its sheer peculiarity – something to do with a hat… Finishing the Hat - Sunday In The Park With George (I Googled)

"Pretty Lady" from Pacific Overture. I know, as camp as a scout jamboree, but what a fucking gorgeous tune.

15. Pretty piano ballad that collects some additional instruments along the way (Acoustic guitar and clarinet). I’m slightly intrigued by the vocal as I can’t fully decide whether it’s a man with an effeminate voice or a woman with a husky tone. The lyrics eluded me but it was nice enough.

Sounds just like her mom to me. "Windy Day" by Lal's daughter Marry Waterson (accompanied by Lal's son Oliver Knight) from the album Days That Shaped Me

16. Live, acoustic… the tune up and the brief chat exposed this to be Jake Thackray. I’m not a great fan of the “Northern Noel Coward” but this was quite funny and very clever.

I'm a late comer to Jake - too many memories of That's Life and those vile cardigans.Old bloke ribaldry perhaps but it raises many a chuckle. "It Was Only A Gypsy" from Live at the Lobster Pot

17. A light country rock song that pleasantly wanders along. The vocal sounds familiar so I’m curious. It’s saved from insignificance by it’s sheer charm.

"Light", "pleasant". Certainly. It's that restraint that makes this old favourite such a great record. "Small Town Talk" by Bobby Charles.

18. Really curious about this one. Sensuous music backdrop with strings, piano and clumping heartbeat drums. She sounds French… nice.

Reviving the hormones of my youth. Francoise Hardy and "So Many Things".

[quote= "Oscar51"]Well, that was the best and most enjoyable mix I’ve had this year. It was actually one of the most enjoyable I’ve had ever… definitely top 5. I think the first 10 tracks were perfect. Many thanks! Looking forward to the reveal.[/quote]

Well, that's nice. All a bit white and short of spotty oiks with electric guitars but I knew you could take it :D .

THE LIST

1. "Overture/Candlelight" - David McWilliams
2. "Blackwater" - Rain Tree Crow
3. "Hands of the Saints" - Citizen Cope
4. "The Girl Who Stood Beside Me" - Bobby Darin
5. "You Got Me Singing" - Leonard Cohen
6. "Jojo Yalahjo" - SE Rogie
7. "Tres Morillas" - Hilliard Ensemble and Jan Garbarek
8. "Lets Keep the Curtains Closed Today" - Colin Blunstone
9. "Eunice" - John Betjeman/Charles Parker
10. "Mrs Bluebird" - Eternity's Children
11. "Bitter Honey" - The Holy Mackerel
12. "Stonehaugh" - Kathryn Tickell and the Side
13. "Asshole Rules The Navy" - Iggy Pop
14. "Pretty Lady" - Pacific Overtures Broadway Cast
15. "Windy Day" - Marry Waterson/Oliver Knight
16. "It Was Only A Gypsy" - Jake Thackray
17. "Small Town Talk" - Bobby Charles
18. "So Many Things" - Francoise Hardy

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 19 Feb 2015, 19:08

Popular Problems and the one before it,Old Ideas have some top notch Lenny and surprisingly little filler for an 80-year old. This one's "You Got Me Singing".
Yep, I've got both and I love 'em.

Well, it is Iggy, bringing down the tone on the Son Of Rogues Gallery comp with "Asshole Rules The Navy". A future in Gilbert and Sullivan awaits.
:o

Excellent stuff. I've really enjoyed it.

NEXT!

Prof Yuri

Postby Prof Yuri » 22 Feb 2015, 08:48

What to do? by the BCB.

1. spoken word about cheese.
2. A strident piece of blues. With sparkling lead guitar.
3. Blues lament from a singer that reminds the listener of Phil Lynart his most introspective.
4. Singer-songwriter stuff that would be very much at home tagged onto the end of an episode of 'House'.
5. Delicate slide guitar and under played piano herald some american navel gazing, Don Maclean territory.
6. Minimalist meanderings with lone guitar. The loss of sensation and a hope for better things. Loved the fingering mistake right at the end.
7. Cajun country now, with a sublime jig. I can see the caravan and smell the smoke
8. We move to Romania for this pleasant combo of mandolins and zither.
9. 1920's? Froggy lament. A possible hit in the trenches? Oh the mud, the mud!
10. Side two intro, ambient and atmospheric.
11. How to murder a classic with over the top arrangement and overblown vocals. Great Fun.
12. Ennio Morricone eat your heart out. Almost spoken vocals and the pocket watch never chimes.
13. Friday night turn down at the working men's club. Great filler before the serious business of the bingo.
14. On to the open air festival and the band that comes on at noon to warm up the crowd ready for the headliners.
15. The tubey mid heralds another quest to find oneself. Great vocalists are truly really hard to find.
16. It's late night, you peer through the blue smoke and take another pull on your bourbon over ice.
17. Hearing the process of how a protest singer learns his chops, is available to any who want to hear this track.
18. Outro with flutes, a beginning, a middle and an end.

TG

Postby TG » 22 Feb 2015, 16:05

Prof Yuri wrote:What to do? by the BCB.

3. Blues lament from a singer that reminds the listener of Phil Lynart his most introspective.
4. Singer-songwriter stuff that would be very much at home tagged onto the end of an episode of 'House'.
5. Delicate slide guitar and under played piano herald some american navel gazing, Don Maclean territory.
6. Minimalist meanderings with lone guitar. The loss of sensation and a hope for better things. Loved the fingering mistake right at the end.
7. Cajun country now, with a sublime jig. I can see the caravan and smell the smoke
11. How to murder a classic with over the top arrangement and overblown vocals. Great Fun.
12. Ennio Morricone eat your heart out. Almost spoken vocals and the pocket watch never chimes.
13. Friday night turn down at the working men's club. Great filler before the serious business of the bingo.
14. On to the open air festival and the band that comes on at noon to warm up the crowd ready for the headliners.
15. The tubey mid heralds another quest to find oneself. Great vocalists are truly really hard to find.
16. It's late night, you peer through the blue smoke and take another pull on your bourbon over ice.
17. Hearing the process of how a protest singer learns his chops, is available to any who want to hear this track.

Is that supposed to be a review? Or are you just wasting other people's time for your own amusement?
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 22 Feb 2015, 16:58

TG wrote:

Is that supposed to be a review? Or are you just wasting other people's time for your own amusement?

It's not a bad review actually. Interesting... amusing... but not bad :lol: .

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 22 Feb 2015, 17:12

TG wrote:

Prof Yuri wrote:

12. Prof Yuri, remove, will not be entering March.

So that's that then.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 22 Feb 2015, 17:20

Walk In My Shadow wrote:
TG wrote:

Prof Yuri wrote:

12. Prof Yuri, remove, will not be entering March.

So that's that then.

Well, at least he got his review in within 3 months (which is more than I can say...)

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 22 Feb 2015, 17:46

Just so everyone is aware the review by Prof Yuri above is of a disc from Oscar I believe and not his actual mix for the month for which a review is presumably to follow. He arranged this with Oscar as it seems he was keen to foist his magnum opus on as many as possible.

For the record Oscar has followed protocol to the letter and has informed me all along of "extramural" activities.
We're way past rhubarb

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 22 Feb 2015, 19:08

Well, what a mess. But never mind. It will all work out in the end.

1. spoken word about cheese
Wet Cheese Delirium by Gong – an intro… of sorts

Freelance Fiend by Leaf Hound – 1971 – like a skint Led Zep!

Little Girl In Bloom by Thin Lizzy – 1973.

I Fall Apart by Rory Gallagher - 1971. I wish I’d seen that episode of “House”.

'Til I Gain Control Again by Albert Lee - 2003 – I love the Emmylou Harris version of this…

Gene Clark – With Tomorrow 1971 -

Among the earliest and most influential Delta bluesmen to record: Skip James – I’m So Glad 1965

Riff Mountain by Davey Graham - more Moroccan, I’d say… and just his guitar

J'attendrai by Tino Rossi – probably more late 30’s

Andacht by Popol Vuh

Well he did co-write the original! Firth of Fifth by Steve Hackett – it is dreadful!

Bill Fay – The Sun Is Bored – English prog folk of sorts

Smoking The Day Away by May Blitz 1970 – another hard rock power trio... who would never had made it into the Working Men's Club in my village (Gene Pitney soundalikes only)

The Misunderstood – Never Had a Girl Like You Before - group reformed in 1969 by Guitarist Glenn Ross Campbell.

1977 Street In The City – Pete Townshend with Ronnie Lane from Rough Mix

Prog jazz rock

How's Your Father by Patto – progressive jazz rock from 1971

Tim Buckley – Chase The Blues Away from Live at the Troubadour 1969

The Grand Vizer's Garden Party (Exit) by Pink Floyd from Ummagumma. An Outro.

Wet Cheese Delirium 00:32 Gong
Freelance Fiend 03:12 Leaf Hound
Little Girl In Bloom 05:15 Thin Lizzy
I Fall Apart 05:12 Rory Gallagher
'Til I Gain Control Again 05:14 Albert Lee
With Tomorrow 02:29 Gene Clark
I'm So Glad 01:55 Skip James
Rif Mountain 02:28 Davy Graham & Shirley Collins
J'attendrai 02:58 Tino Rossi
Andacht 00:48 Popol Vuh
Firth of Fifth 09:40 Steve Hackett
The Sun Is Bored 02:32 Fay, Bill
Smoking The Day Away 08:23 May Blitz
Never Had A Girl (Like You Before) 04:31 The Misunderstood
Street In The City 06:08 Pete Townshend
How's Your Father 04:45 Patto
Chase The Blues Away 06:19 Tim Buckley
The Grand Vizer's Garden Party (Exit) 00:39 Pink Floyd (Mason)

TG

Postby TG » 22 Feb 2015, 20:06

TG wrote:

The Fish wrote:Just so everyone is aware the review by Prof Yuri above is of a disc from Oscar I believe and not his actual mix for the month for which a review is presumably to follow. He arranged this with Oscar as it seems he was keen to foist his magnum opus on as many as possible.

For the record Oscar has followed protocol to the letter and has informed me all along of "extramural" activities.

Well, my apologies if that is the case. It certainly didn't look that way to me and I guess I should have contacted our exalted Mix Club ruler before jumping the gun. Apologies to all and sundry.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 22 Feb 2015, 20:23

Anonymous Feb 2015 Mix (From Prof Yuri)

Well, I know I'm out of order posting this review (because it isn't officially my mix) and I was going to wait until the official recipient had reviewed but ... protocol seems to have left the building this month :lol:

Forgive me everyone...

1. Catchy verse – it actually sounds familiar- lots of clichéd guitar signatures, unsophisticated 80’s synth and it’s all very laboured, Roxette-Europop with a capable but unexceptional vocal.

2. The pantomime vocals... the lyrics and the grunchy guitar riff are an uncomfortable parody of metal music. As much as it wants to sound dark and menacing, it is very theatrical, over-dramatic and sanitised.

3. 80’s symphonic synth intro leading into what could be a number from an Andrew Lloyd Webber show. The proggy guitar solos are capable enough but again very clichéd. All very dramatic and as camp as Christmas round at Dale Winton’s house.

4. Lyrics are very distracting in their banality and are delivered with a capable but bland vocal performance. More dramatic, clichéd music signatures… not really going anywhere.

5. Ditto

6. Now, I got quite excited because the intro is organic – real strings! If you told me this was a tongue in cheek version of ‘Heroes’ (i.e. a bit ironic, self-mocking) then I’d get it but I think it’s a serious attempt to create something dramatic and earnest… and that doesn’t work.

7. No… unless this a parody. It sounds like it’s taken from a naff Smith and Jones comedy sketch. If it is a parody (i.e. a piss-take of… itself) then it’s at least uncomfortably funny. Lionel would weep!

8. –

9. I think this is probably the best of the bunch… so far... probably because I can’t hear the lyrics. Quite droney… dreamy… not as garish or lurid or clichéd as the other tracks.

10. Too extravagant and dramatic for its own good. The lyrics are really prominent but ridiculous. The guitar solo is, again, very competent but so fucking predictable – I knew it was coming.

11. Sounds like a sanitised ELP track! I actually don’t mind this one too much.

12. Very catchy synth pop – like track 1 – stretching out it’s 80’s electro-prog homage to the limit… like the ghost of It Bites or something else with big hair and shoulder pads.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 22 Feb 2015, 21:11

Oscar52 wrote:Well, what a mess. But never mind. It will all work out in the end.

1. spoken word about cheese
Wet Cheese Delirium by Gong – an intro… of sorts

Freelance Fiend by Leaf Hound – 1971 – like a skint Led Zep!

Little Girl In Bloom by Thin Lizzy – 1973.

I Fall Apart by Rory Gallagher - 1971. I wish I’d seen that episode of “House”.

'Til I Gain Control Again by Albert Lee - 2003 – I love the Emmylou Harris version of this…

Gene Clark – With Tomorrow 1971 -

Among the earliest and most influential Delta bluesmen to record: Skip James – I’m So Glad 1965

Riff Mountain by Davey Graham - more Moroccan, I’d say… and just his guitar

J'attendrai by Tino Rossi – probably more late 30’s

Andacht by Popol Vuh

Well he did co-write the original! Firth of Fifth by Steve Hackett – it is dreadful!

Bill Fay – The Sun Is Bored – English prog folk of sorts

Smoking The Day Away by May Blitz 1970 – another hard rock power trio... who would never had made it into the Working Men's Club in my village (Gene Pitney soundalikes only)

The Misunderstood – Never Had a Girl Like You Before - group reformed in 1969 by Guitarist Glenn Ross Campbell.

1977 Street In The City – Pete Townshend with Ronnie Lane from Rough Mix

Prog jazz rock

How's Your Father by Patto – progressive jazz rock from 1971

Tim Buckley – Chase The Blues Away from Live at the Troubadour 1969

The Grand Vizer's Garden Party (Exit) by Pink Floyd from Ummagumma. An Outro.

Wet Cheese Delirium 00:32 Gong
Freelance Fiend 03:12 Leaf Hound
Little Girl In Bloom 05:15 Thin Lizzy
I Fall Apart 05:12 Rory Gallagher
'Til I Gain Control Again 05:14 Albert Lee
With Tomorrow 02:29 Gene Clark
I'm So Glad 01:55 Skip James
Rif Mountain 02:28 Davy Graham & Shirley Collins
J'attendrai 02:58 Tino Rossi
Andacht 00:48 Popol Vuh
Firth of Fifth 09:40 Steve Hackett
The Sun Is Bored 02:32 Fay, Bill
Smoking The Day Away 08:23 May Blitz
Never Had A Girl (Like You Before) 04:31 The Misunderstood
Street In The City 06:08 Pete Townshend
How's Your Father 04:45 Patto
Chase The Blues Away 06:19 Tim Buckley
The Grand Vizer's Garden Party (Exit) 00:39 Pink Floyd (Mason)

That's the mix I received! :?:
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 22 Feb 2015, 21:20

Walk In My Shadow wrote:That's the mix I received! :?:

Well get it reviewed then! (just pretend you haven't seen it)

whodathunkit

Postby whodathunkit » 23 Feb 2015, 16:28

Well.....

Lenny seems to have done the heavy lifting for me this month so I'll just review his review.

From the newbie Introduction thread:-

"I am from England and love Symphonic Prog music.
I am also one half of daRtoweRecoRds."

So I'm guessing we've been sent a sampler of the good professors wares. It's mainly the same type of ware - starts with plaintive male voice a la Peter Hamill over tinkling piano/synth, those predictable power chords come crashing in and off we go for five or six minutes. Lyrics that would embarrass a 13-year old and a complete absence of rhythm. Very professionally done and of no interest to me. Should have sent it to Ange. He's nice about everything :D .

One or two points though.

Oscar52 wrote:Anonymous Feb 2015 Mix (From Prof Yuri)

1. Catchy verse – it actually sounds familiar- lots of clichéd guitar signatures, unsophisticated 80’s synth and it’s all very laboured, Roxette-Europop with a capable but unexceptional vocal.

Thought this this was the best thing on here. Basically a nice little pop song. Unfortunately it has a completely unnecessary faux-jazz coda bolted on to the end to show that they're "proper" musicians

Oscar52 wrote:6.I got quite excited because the intro is organic – real strings! If you told me this was a tongue in cheek version of ‘Heroes’ (i.e. a bit ironic, self-mocking) then I’d get it but I think it’s a serious attempt to create something dramatic and earnest… and that doesn’t work.

There may well be reason why the world needs a camp Germanic voice declaiming the lyrics of "Heroes" over grungey strings and guitar but I can't figure it out.

Oscar 52 wrote:7. No… unless this a parody. It sounds like it’s taken from a naff Smith and Jones comedy sketch. If it is a parody (i.e. a piss-take of… itself) then it’s at least uncomfortably funny. Lionel would weep!

I think he would laugh! So bad it's good

I suppose I should write this off as "not my sort of thing" but I'm not adverse to a spot of Nightwish, Ulrich Schnauss, Van Der Graaf Generator, all of whom came to mind (briefly) during the mix.Basically it was all very competent. Just not any good.

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 26 Feb 2015, 11:55

Classic threads?

Nick Danger

Postby Nick Danger » 26 Feb 2015, 18:41

The mix I received this month I found to be interesting and entertaining (and what more can you ask really) and checked a lot of my taste boxes - Garage Rock, Blues, R & B, Country, Pop, and more. Good job mixer!

1. Modern indie, lots of reverb, echo, and layered instruments. I like this. The only criticism I would have is that the vocals are somewhat buried back in the mix. This seems to be a characteristic of a lot of modern production. Good start though.

2. A nice instrumental here. Good organ, guitar, drums, and especially the horns.

3. Begins with a Twilight Zone riff then switches to a fuzzy guitar lead. I like this. Good girl singer. This also sounds modern. I'm really curious about who this is.

4. Pounding drums and shouty vocals. The singer sounds like she could be Pat Benatar's little sister. I don't like this as much as what came before but it has it's charm. Really interesting instrumental break, lots of effects.

5. This guy sounds British. Interesting guitar and drums. Not bad but it's not something I would pursue further probably. It was somewhat of a grower on repeated listens. My knowledge of British music post-invasion is woefully inadequate.

6. Now we're talking, garage rock, a favorite genre. This is great. Sneering vocals, small group, hard charging guitar and drums. Short and powerful like all good garage.

7. We're in R & B territory now. Upfront drums, good horns, probably vintage. I like this a lot. No idea who it is but I'm sure I'll be investigating this group out.

8. More R & B. I may own this. The voice sounds familiar but I can't quite recall it. More great horns. It's too short. It leaves you wanting more.

9. This is also in my wheelhouse, classic blues. This sounds like Bobby Bland but it's probably not him. Whoever it is, I like it. The guitar cooks.

10. This one I do know. This is unmistakably Elmore James. Elmore is the real thing, that classic guitar lick and a voice just perfect for the Blues.
One of the best ever.

11. More blues, a guttural voice I don't recognize but I like. It's reminiscent of Howling Wolf. Way too short, I wanted more.

12. Finishing up the blues section is another deep voiced bluesman. Don't know who it is but he can bring it. I don't like this as much as the ones above but that's more a reflection on how good they were. You don't hear too many good dog songs.

13. This is another genre I like, country, real country, not that adult contemporary with a southern accent they try to pass off as country music in the U.S. It's a nice two girl duet, country piano, steel guitar, the singing is a little sharp but I enjoyed it.

14. Also real country, a male vocal I don't recognize. It goes along with a loping beat and a rubber band guitar lead. The harmonies are nice. Really good band.

15. More modern sounding now, this could be Lucinda Williams. Interesting layered instrumentation, modern production, dirty guitar. I don't know if I could listen to a lot of this but this is entertaining.

16. This sounds like 60's pop/rock, Paul Revere and the Raiders kinda thing, short, really doesn't overstay it's welcome. I listened to my share of this kind of thing back in the day and I didn't mind this.

17. This is great. I'm pretty sure it's one of my favorites, Los Straitjackets, but I don't recognize the song. Mexican wrestling masks, two lead guitars, bass, drums and a good measure of attitude and charm. Great way to finish off the mix!

Thanks so much Mixer! This seems like a mix made especially for me and I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to the reveal.

T. Willy Rye
Spinner of crazy fuck-ass shit

Postby T. Willy Rye » 27 Feb 2015, 14:51

This was me, Nick. I'm so pleased you liked it. I will try to get to the reveal this weekend.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 28 Feb 2015, 02:03

Hello!

Here we go!

1. ooof! electro rock poppy stuff! Usually pretty much up my street. Don't think I am at all familiar with the artist, though. it sort of sounds like a cross between Killers and Reverend and the Makers (that doesn't sound flattering.) I am guessing this band is fairly newish - last ten years or so - and I don't dislike it, but the voice sounds very much like the voice that everyone in this sort of band aspires to. Does that make sense? Probably not. Anyway. NEXT!
2. A lovely, lilting almost country style ditty with a contemporary melancholy female lead. I like the echo and space in the song - as if it's being recorded in a huge cavern. I still have no idea who it is though. It's very nice.
3. This is French, and I have no chance of knowing who it is. I also can't work out whether it's old or has a deliberate retro production which is driving me mad. I also like it, which as it's French, pisses me off even more :evil:
4. Ooh. A nice bit of REGGAE! Super fucking duper. I'm listening after a couple of vodkas on the headphones and it's all a bit surreal in a good way. It's not French is it?? :evil:
5.Crikey. I should know who this is, shouldn't I? Is it Sleater Kinney? I love it. PUNK.
6.This was lovely, short, sweet, breathy, girly, and mentioned Bank Holidays, so I am not sure what could go wrong.
7. Oh how gorgeous. Valley of the Dolls theme - Warwick I think though her voice sounds very different from the one I remember. But it's a long time since I heard it, which I regret very much now that I am sat listening to it. I can tell you this, listening to it on headphones in front of the fire is making me feel all fucking warm and gooey.
8. Ramblin on my Mind! But who is the chick? I love it. Listening to this makes me wonder how the fuck I will ever, ever play guitar like this, even if I practice for a thousand years.
9. Well fucking hell. Fucking HELL. I thought as a chunk chunk chunk cha chunk chunk cha chunk this song was ok but the acoustic version is absolutely beautiful. Oh my goodness. I love it. Is it just him? I'm listening to the guitar too - those sounds. oomph. lovely. I must revisit this album. I really should.
10. :lol: Know your audience, I see. Quicksand, a version I'm not familiar with. It's lovely. Let me tell you, I have got the four chords down - where he sings I ain't got the power - and playing them for the first time was so fucking exciting I nearly bled from my ears. Where are you getting all these songs from, love? I need to know!
11. Oh, you manipulative BASTARD. You have me in tears, you SHIT. You beautiful, sneaky, audience understanding BASTARD. For the benefit of those who aren't listening to what I am, this was Kate singing from Sky of Honey, in London. You know - my memory is that her voice was SO much better than this on the night. Maybe it's just that her voice is the main thing you can hear on this recording - but her voice here really does not do justice to how it sounded live. Nonetheless, it is absolutely lovely to relive.
12. I can repeat what I said at track 11, except I'm crying a bit more. No, really - I'm crying. Like a fucking twat.
13. I can repeat what I said at track 12, except I'm crying even more.

Every time I think about leaving Mix Club - oh I haven't got time, I can't do this, I can't do that, I get a disc and I am so glad that I have it, and this disc being a prime disc in point. Someone has taken the time and energy to do something that I absolutely love and that means the world to me personally. Thank you sender. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I don't feel I have much to offer when I do a disc. I rarely try and tailor a disc to suit the taste of an individual, I almost never think 'oh, this person really likes this stuff so they should love this' and I feel guilty for not making more of an effort. Truthfully, I sit down and I think, what songs do I like today. And then I send it. And often my discs are similar or contain the same artists time after time. I don't spend a lot of time composing them either. OnE of the main reasons I have thought of stopping is that I think there's nothing anyone wouldn't have heard before. This disc has made me guilty, because it is beautifull ytailored and builds to a gorgeous climax, and I just don't do that sort of thing for anyone.

Thank you sender.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Nick Danger

Postby Nick Danger » 28 Feb 2015, 15:23

Minnie the Minx wrote:Hello!

Here we go!

#color=#FF0040#I was your mixer this month and I am so pleased you enjoyed it so much# It was a lot of fun to put together and I've listened to it many times myself##/color#

1# ooof! electro rock poppy stuff! Usually pretty much up my street# Don't think I am at all familiar with the artist, though# it sort of sounds like a cross between Killers and Reverend and the Makers #that doesn't sound flattering## I am guessing this band is fairly newish - last ten years or so - and I don't dislike it, but the voice sounds very much like the voice that everyone in this sort of band aspires to# Does that make sense? Probably not# Anyway# NEXT!

#color=#FF0040#This is new wave inspired current band Neon Trees# It's rare for me to include much new music but I liked this song##/color#

2# A lovely, lilting almost country style ditty with a contemporary melancholy female lead# I like the echo and space in the song - as if it's being recorded in a huge cavern# I still have no idea who it is though# It's very nice#

#color=#FF0040#This is Scottish band Camera Obscura with an album track from 2006# Tracyanne Campbell is the singer and songwriter# I'm a fan of that one album "Let's Get Out Of This Country#" #/color#

3# This is French, and I have no chance of knowing who it is# I also can't work out whether it's old or has a deliberate retro production which is driving me mad# I also like it, which as it's French, pisses me off even more :evil:

#color=#FF0040#It's can sometimes be a risk sending a French song to an British girl# It is old, Francoise Hardy from her first album in 1965# I don't understand a word but I like the song##/color#

4# Ooh# A nice bit of REGGAE! Super fucking duper# I'm listening after a couple of vodkas on the headphones and it's all a bit surreal in a good way# It's not French is it?? :evil:

#color=#FF0040#This is Jamaican drum and bass duo extraordinaire Sly Dunbar and Robbie Shakespeare# These guys have played on literally thousands of songs but this is one they released under their own na#es##/color#

5#Crikey# I should know who this is, shouldn't I? Is it Sleater Kinney? I love it# PUNK#

#color=#FF0040#I'm a sucker for all-girl pop/punk bands and this is one I like, the Eyeliners# They put out four albums in the early 2000's and then disappeared##/color#

6#This was lovely, short, sweet, breathy, girly, and mentioned Bank Holidays, so I am not sure what could go wrong#

#color=#FF0040#This group is called Brave Irene# It's the latest all-girl group put together by Rose Melberg #Tiger Trap, the Softies## They made one album in 2011 but nothing since##/color#

7# Oh how gorgeous# Valley of the Dolls theme - Warwick I think though her voice sounds very different from the one I remember# But it's a long time since I heard it, which I regret very much now that I am sat listening to it# I can tell you this, listening to it on headphones in front of the fire is making me feel all fucking warm and gooey#

#color=#FF0040#I've always thought this was a beautiful song and a great vocal by Dionne Warwick##/color#

8# Ramblin on my Mind! But who is the chick? I love it# Listening to this makes me wonder how the fuck I will ever, ever play guitar like this, even if I practice for a thousand years#

#color=#FF0040#It's Lucinda Williams playing a small club in 1981# That's William Hyatt on guitar and Champ Hood on Fiddle playing with her##/color#

9# Well fucking hell# Fucking HELL# I thought as a chunk chunk chunk cha chunk chunk cha chunk this song was ok but the acoustic version is absolutely beautiful# Oh my goodness# I love it# Is it just him? I'm listening to the guitar too - those sounds# oomph# lovely# I must revisit this album# I really should#
10# :lol: Know your audience, I see# Quicksand, a version I'm not familiar with# It's lovely# Let me tell you, I have got the four chords down - where he sings I ain't got the power - and playing them for the first time was so fucking exciting I nearly bled from my ears# Where are you getting all these songs from, love? I need to know!

#color=#FF0040#These two cuts are from a bootleg collection of live acoustic performances from 1996/1997# Most of them are from a club in Atlanta and a BBC radio program# I like these renditions better than the studio album cuts##/color#

11# Oh, you manipulative BASTARD# You have me in tears, you SHIT# You beautiful, sneaky, audience understanding BASTARD# For the benefit of those who aren't listening to what I am, this was Kate singing from Sky of Honey, in London# You know - my memory is that her voice was SO much better than this on the night# Maybe it's just that her voice is the main thing you can hear on this recording - but her voice here really does not do justice to how it sounded live# Nonetheless, it is absolutely lovely to relive#
12# I can repeat what I said at track 11, except I'm crying a bit more# No, really - I'm crying# Like a fucking twat#
13# I can repeat what I said at track 12, except I'm crying even more#

#color=#FF0040#I read your great review of the performance you attended and had to seek out this bootleg# It's from the September 12 show# Before I did this mix I had never heard a single thing by Kate Bush# I knew the na#e but that was all# I have really enjoyed listening to the show# She has an amazing voice and I will be seeking out her albums##/color#

Every time I think about leaving Mix Club - oh I haven't got time, I can't do this, I can't do that, I get a disc and I am so glad that I have it, and this disc being a prime disc in point# Someone has taken the time and energy to do something that I absolutely love and that means the world to me personally# Thank you sender# Thank you from the bottom of my heart#

I don't feel I have much to offer when I do a disc# I rarely try and tailor a disc to suit the taste of an individual, I almost never think 'oh, this person really likes this stuff so they should love this' and I feel guilty for not making more of an effort# Truthfully, I sit down and I think, what songs do I like today# And then I send it# And often my discs are similar or contain the same artists time after time# I don't spend a lot of time composing them either# OnE of the main reasons I have thought of stopping is that I think there's nothing anyone wouldn't have heard before# This disc has made me guilty, because it is beautifull ytailored and builds to a gorgeous climax, and I just don't do that sort of thing for anyone#

Thank you sender#

It was my pleasure. I get a lot of enjoyment out of listening to these mixes myself. I did break what may be an unwritten rule with mix club of including only one track per artist but I think it's ok to do this is if it serves the mix. It's not true in this case but sometimes including 2 or 3 songs by an artist can give a better sample of that artist.

Tracklist-

1. Girls And Boys In School - Neon Trees
2. Dory Previn - Camera Obscura
3. Tous Les Garcons Et Les Filles - Francoise Hardy
4. Steppin' Out - Sly & Robbie
5. Finished With You - The Eyeliners
6. Bank Holiday - Brave Irene
7. Theme from the Valley Of The Dolls - Dionne Warwick
8. Ramblin' On My Mind - Lucinda Williams
9. Dead Man Walking - David Bowie
10. Quicksand - David Bowie
11. Nocturn - Kate Bush