December 2014 Reviews

Exchange mix CDs with each other.
Oscar
Northern Taoist

December 2014 Reviews

Postby Oscar » 30 Dec 2014, 15:33

Short and sweet comp so here's a short and sweet review...

1. The unmistakable voice of Del Tha Funkee Homosapien. Deltron? No… Handsome Boy Modelling School? Yes, I think so. I’m happy with this. My kind of hip hop.

2. A lovely slice of southern soul. This one drove me insane! I thought I recognised it but couldn’t think of the artist… until I discovered I had the song (“Mumble In My Ear” by Marcel Strong) on my iTunes library in a file called “BCB Got Soul”. BCB eh? Not just there for good argument.

3. Another distinctive voice. Sinéad O'Connor. Never been a fan. She doesn’t upset me and she hasn’t ruined my day but… not for me.

4. Sounds a bit 90’s “baggy”. I don’t recognise the tune or the voices. It kind of passed me by without effecting a response so… moving on to the next track…

5. Whereas this one I recognised the voices but not the tune. A bit of an unremarkable modern indie pop ballad duet. Next…

6. Girly electropop. Nice sound. I like.

7. Ooh, now I really like this. It’s a very familiar sound and I half-expected someone very familiar to jump in with very familiar vocals but it just calmly swaggered along with gentle, understated shimmering guitars. Lovely!

8. Can’t get the voice but certainly another Dan The Automator production. Again, my kind of hip hop.

9. “Little Star” by Madonna. I’m happy.

10. Ending with a dreamy synth background to sparse, meditative piano. Sounds what Harold Budd would have written for a scene from Bladerunner… if he’d been asked.

I suppose I'll pretend not to know who's mix it is just to be polite ;)

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Re: December 2014 Reviews

Postby Minnie the Minx » 30 Dec 2014, 20:57

I'm so predictable!!!
Reveal to come...
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

T. Willy Rye
Spinner of crazy fuck-ass shit

Postby T. Willy Rye » 31 Dec 2014, 00:38

Hey Mixer,

Track 1 is taken from Bob Dylan's radio program. This one is a novelty track that I guess is a “hoot” in that it was recorded in 1947 and contained some wacky vocals-- the title is I'm My Own Grandpa (couldn't really understand most of Bob's other mumblings) but is only really much fun the first time and after that feels like homework assigned from Harry Smith's History of American Music 101 class. Sorry.

Track 2 also seems to have Appalachian roots. At first I didn't like the vocals, but every time I listen, they become a little more haunting and that fiddle is pretty powerful too. A grower.

Track 3 is a song I think I know called Tecumseh Valley, but I don't think I know this version. No matter it's great. So far my mixer is certainly focused on Appalachia which is okay by me.

Track 4 is Dark End of the Street. Not sure I have much to add to how great this track is.

Track 5 is a gospel group's version of I Shall Be Released. It's okay, not one that I will be coming back to anytime soon.

Track 6 has got a nice easy groove, that guitar fill is sensational. I also like the backing vocals. Very solid.

Track 7 Hurdy Gurdy Man. Another classic. Love the guitar-- Jimmy Page, no?

Track 8 is like a French Roy Orbison with pretty orchestration. Not sure what to do with this. I don't think I would listen to this much, but I've gone through it a couple times-- probably enough to last me.

Track 9 says Frank Zappa and is confirmation for why I don't really care for Frank Zappa. Sorry

Track 10 is pretty good gospel influenced R& B. I'm just not as wild about those over the top vocals as you are dear mixer.

Track 11 is just plain great. That voice sounds familiar and is perfectly suited to the gut-wrenching material. Love

Track 12 is more rooted in 50s doo wop and while it's nicely sung and I don't have major objections, it's less my sort of thing than the previous track.

Track 13 is more doo wop. My Mrs. is not digging it.

Track 14 sounds like Sarah Vaughan. Her voice is always so hard hitting and this one is no exception. Good thing the powers-that-be knew to keep the arrangement sparse.

Track 15 is pretty great early ska that lets it R &B roots bleed through. Like this one a lot.

Track 16 sounds like it's from a similar era. Not quite as great as the previous track, but still pretty good.

Track 17 is The Beatles Till There Was You. A favorite of the Mrs. Kind of odd to hear such a familiar track emerge in the midst of never heard ones.

Track 18 is a rockabilly version of the standard Pretend that I associate with Nat King Cole. Really like this.

Track 19 is more rockabilly. This is more unhinged-- you can definitely see the Cramps listening to this one.

Track 20 along with 11, this is my favorite. Rockabilly cut with some cinematic soundtrack type music. Very pleasant and over much too soon.

Thanks! I enjoyed a fair amount of this.

TG

Postby TG » 08 Jan 2015, 15:52

Is anyone out there? Is no one sending or reviewing mixes? Hello??? Anyone???

Two reviews and zero reveals and it's the second week of January. I guess I'm just impatient.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 08 Jan 2015, 22:08

My mixer this month must have been walking in my shadow ( :mrgreen: ) for a long time thus delivering a near perfect mix. A tailor made special delivery. Much obliged, dear mixer!
I don’t think it’s The Fish this time because of track 1:

01. Take me to Church by Hozier. I got this album for a fiver. I may not have bought it otherwise. For a time and after several listens I still hesitated between flavor of the month or the real thing. But now I’m on the good side of the album and like it as a whole. The song in question here is of course a real earworm.

02. Country rock mid tempo song. Very nice too. Poco perhaps?

03. This is Mary Gauthier doing a slow burner which is rather typical for her. Have all her albums and the only one that disappointed for me was The Foundling. No complaints here.

04. I was thinking Sonny Landreth because of the guitar line but the voice doesn’t match. It sounds very much live and is a sprightly blues/gospel number. The more I listened to that guitar the more I thought Michael Bloomfield. And if it’s him then the singer is probably Al Kooper. Good shout.

05. Classic piano blues, not too young. Titled Ain’t that Fine and, yes, I cheated here. I wouldn’t have guessed this is Ray Charles if I hand’t looked up the title.

06. Slow Soul song so let’s dance. This is late nite music, dim lights, thick smoke, you know the drill. Classic Soul then but no idea as to who. A cracking tune.

07. Another country tune that I don’t know or recognize. Not Steve Earle. What’s the other one called? Dwight Yoakam?

08. Another live one. The mighty mighty Los Lobos with Tears of God. A giant of a song from a band that can do little wrong. Wish everybody would get into these guys. Brilliant.

09. One of Dan Penn’s (and Chip Moman’s) super classics: Dark End of the Street. This version is the Flying Buritto Brothers’ off their debut album. How wrong can you go with this song? The answer is: not ever. And I only just realized now how much they sound like the Everly Brothers here.

10. Woman plus fiddle, country song. I’m guessing Allison Krauss here because that sound logical. But I really have no idea.

11. This one is obviously called Friday Night Fish Fry and clearly is Southern Soul. By looking up that title I came upon the name Mel Waiters. I do declare I have never heard of this guy before but I also do declare I like this song very much.

12. Standard electric 12 bar blues with a couple of burning solos. My guess is Johnny Winter but then I think I’m wrong. I know that voice from somewhere though.

13. Well. If that ain’t Rory Gallagher I’ll eat my shorts. The song’s Follow Me from the album Top Priority. Some say he was over the top by then. I say everything he did was magic. Excellent choice.

14. At first listen this sound uncannily like Mott the Hoople but with a better guitarist. It’s a fun up tempo rock ‘n roll song.

15. So we saved the rockers for last, eh? It’s either a woman singing or Rush’s vocalist with his balls caught between two stones. A bit punky this one. The Runaways perhaps?

16. Movin’ into Boz Scaggs territory now. Sharp lead guitar, horns, female choir and we’re getting the funk goin’. Yeah! Is Santana involved here? And who’s the piano man? Nice jam to end the mix.

I can only repeat what I said at the beginning. Someone made a mix tailored for me. I thank you deeply for that.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Nick Danger

Postby Nick Danger » 09 Jan 2015, 02:44

Walk In My Shadow wrote:My mixer this month must have been walking in my shadow ( :mrgreen: ) for a long time thus delivering a near perfect mix. A tailor made special delivery. Much obliged, dear mixer!
I don’t think it’s The Fish this time because of track 1:

I was your mixer this month. Your eclecticism is shared by me and it was a lot of fun to make.

01. Take me to Church by Hozier. I got this album for a fiver. I may not have bought it otherwise. For a time and after several listens I still hesitated between flavor of the month or the real thing. But now I’m on the good side of the album and like it as a whole. The song in question here is of course a real earworm.

It's rare for me to use new songs in these mixes but's here's one. Currently doing very well on the U.S. chart. The rest of the album didn't grab me as much but I've only heard the 30 second samples.

02. Country rock mid tempo song. Very nice too. Poco perhaps?

This is a guy you know, Ian Mathews (ex Fairpoint, Mathews Southern Comfort) from one of his solo albums. It's Gene Clark's song
Tried So Hard first recorded by the Byrds.

03. This is Mary Gauthier doing a slow burner which is rather typical for her. Have all her albums and the only one that disappointed for me was The Foundling. No complaints here.

I need to buy more of her.

I was thinking Sonny Landreth because of the guitar line but the voice doesn’t match. It sounds very much live and is a sprightly blues/gospel number. The more I listened to that guitar the more I thought Michael Bloomfield. And if it’s him then the singer is probably Al Kooper. Good shout.

Great deducing, it is Al Kooper. This is a live version of his biggest song from his first band, The Blues Project.

05. Classic piano blues, not too young. Titled Ain’t that Fine and, yes, I cheated here. I wouldn’t have guessed this is Ray Charles if I hand’t looked up the title.

Yep, it's Ray from one of his earliest recording sessions.

06. Slow Soul song so let’s dance. This is late nite music, dim lights, thick smoke, you know the drill. Classic Soul then but no idea as to who. A cracking tune.

This is Irma Thomas, a singer I've come to have new appreciation for lately.

07. Another country tune that I don’t know or recognize. Not Steve Earle. What’s the other one called? Dwight Yoakam?

This is another new one, two on one mix! New meaning 06. This is alt country, Americana duo Hoots and Hellmouth.

08. Another live one. The mighty mighty Los Lobos with Tears of God. A giant of a song from a band that can do little wrong. Wish everybody would get into these guys. Brilliant.

A live bootleg performance. I like this better than the studio cut.

09. One of Dan Penn’s (and Chip Moman’s) super classics: Dark End of the Street. This version is the Flying Buritto Brothers’ off their debut album. How wrong can you go with this song? The answer is: not ever. And I only just realized now how much they sound like the Everly Brothers here.

This is one of the songs you play for people when they want to know what all the fuss about Gram Parsons is about. My favorite version of this great song. Sneaky Pete Kleinow's steel guitar took the place of a lead guitar on this debut album.

10. Woman plus fiddle, country song. I’m guessing Allison Krauss here because that sound logical. But I really have no idea.

This is Tex Mex singer/songwriter Tish Hinojosa. I think she was an underappreciated artist who did some great songs in both English and Spanish.

11. This one is obviously called Friday Night Fish Fry and clearly is Southern Soul. By looking up that title I came upon the name Mel Waiters. I do declare I have never heard of this guy before but I also do declare I like this song very much.

You got it, Mel Waiters. I just stumbled on this song by looking through Amazon for some rare funk and loved it.

12. Standard electric 12 bar blues with a couple of burning solos. My guess is Johnny Winter but then I think I’m wrong. I know that voice from somewhere though.

This is Buddy Guy with She's Out There Somewhere. It's my favorite Buddy Guy song.

13. Well. If that ain’t Rory Gallagher I’ll eat my shorts. The song’s Follow Me from the album Top Priority. Some say he was over the top by then. I say everything he did was magic. Excellent choice.

This is a live boot of Rory at the Reading Festival in the 80's sometime. This was my favorite song from the performance.

14. At first listen this sound uncannily like Mott the Hoople but with a better guitarist. It’s a fun up tempo rock ‘n roll song.

Wet Willie, friends of the Allmans and fellow Macon, Georgia residents.

15. So we saved the rockers for last, eh? It’s either a woman singing or Rush’s vocalist with his balls caught between two stones. A bit punky this one. The Runaways perhaps?

This is an all-girl latin pop/punk band called Go Betty Go. They made one album and one ep, both of which are good. After a few years hiatus they have a new EP coming out later this month.

16. Movin’ into Boz Scaggs territory now. Sharp lead guitar, horns, female choir and we’re getting the funk goin’. Yeah! Is Santana involved here? And who’s the piano man? Nice jam to end the mix.

This is the Meters with my favorite song by them.

I can only repeat what I said at the beginning. Someone made a mix tailored for me. I thank you deeply for that.

I'm glad you liked it. It was a lot of fun to make.

Nick Danger

Postby Nick Danger » 09 Jan 2015, 02:53

Tracklist

(1) Take Me To Church - Hozier
(2) Tried So Hard - Ian Mathews
(3) Snakebit - Mary Gauthier
(4) I Can't Keep From Crying - Al Kooper
(5) Ain't That Fine - Ray Charles
(6) Yours Until Tomorrow - Irma Thomas
(7) Home In A Boxcar - Hoots and Hellmouth
(8) Tears Of God - Los Lobos
(9) The Dark End Of The Street - The Flying Burrito Brothers
(10) Crazy Wind And Flashing Yellows - Tish Hinojosa
(11) Friday Night Fish Fry - Mel Waiters
(12) She's Out There Somewhere - Buddy Guy
(13) Follow Me - Rory Gallagher
(14) No No No - Wet Willie
(15) Son Mis Locuras - Go Betty Go
(16) It Ain't No Use - The Meters

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 12 Jan 2015, 12:36

Nick Danger wrote:Tracklist

(1) Take Me To Church - Hozier
(2) Tried So Hard - Ian Mathews
(3) Snakebit - Mary Gauthier
(4) I Can't Keep From Crying - Al Kooper
(5) Ain't That Fine - Ray Charles
(6) Yours Until Tomorrow - Irma Thomas
(7) Home In A Boxcar - Hoots and Hellmouth
(8) Tears Of God - Los Lobos
(9) The Dark End Of The Street - The Flying Burrito Brothers
(10) Crazy Wind And Flashing Yellows - Tish Hinojosa
(11) Friday Night Fish Fry - Mel Waiters
(12) She's Out There Somewhere - Buddy Guy
(13) Follow Me - Rory Gallagher
(14) No No No - Wet Willie
(15) Son Mis Locuras - Go Betty Go
(16) It Ain't No Use - The Meters

Never before heard of Hoots & Hellmouth or Mel Waiters or Go Betty Go..
Tish, of course, great lady.
Have to invest in Wet Willie.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 12 Jan 2015, 18:02

TG wrote:Is anyone out there? Is no one sending or reviewing mixes? Hello??? Anyone???

Two reviews and zero reveals and it's the second week of January. I guess I'm just impatient.

You're so impatient :roll:

I've been sat at my desk since 1st Jan waiting for my January recipient. Let's go!

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 13 Jan 2015, 00:26

1. The unmistakable voice of Del Tha Funkee Homosapien. Deltron? No… Handsome Boy Modelling School? Yes, I think so. I’m happy with this. My kind of hip hop.

Absolutely!
Magnetizing ...Handsome Boy Modelling School. What an album eh?

2. A lovely slice of southern soul. This one drove me insane! I thought I recognised it but couldn’t think of the artist… until I discovered I had the song (“Mumble In My Ear” by Marcel Strong) on my iTunes library in a file called “BCB Got Soul”. BCB eh? Not just there for good argument.

Correct again, SIr!

3. Another distinctive voice. Sinéad O'Connor. Never been a fan. She doesn’t upset me and she hasn’t ruined my day but… not for me.

Yeah...Sinead and 'Troy'. I knew it was a Marmite idea...

4. Sounds a bit 90’s “baggy”. I don’t recognise the tune or the voices. It kind of passed me by without effecting a response so… moving on to the next track…

This is Snowpony and 'John Brown' I like it quite a lot, for reasons I can't explain

5. Whereas this one I recognised the voices but not the tune. A bit of an unremarkable modern indie pop ballad duet. Next…

'I see You, You see me' by the magic numbers. The album is great, but if you don't like this, you probably won't think so...

Yes! 'Seven' by Fever Ray. I advise you to check out the album! Or cough!

7. Ooh, now I really like this. It’s a very familiar sound and I half-expected someone very familiar to jump in with very familiar vocals but it just calmly swaggered along with gentle, understated shimmering guitars. Lovely!

Hee hee hee! 'Herringbone Tweed' by Dean and Britta - aren't they great?

8. Can’t get the voice but certainly another Dan The Automator production. Again, my kind of hip hop.

3000 by Dr.Octagon. Another fine album

So am I, love. So am I.

10. Ending with a dreamy synth background to sparse, meditative piano. Sounds what Harold Budd would have written for a scene from Bladerunner… if he’d been asked.

It sounds like what David Bowie would have written had he been asked to do the theme to the Buddha of Suburbia and decided to fill out an album... 'The Mysteries'

I'm glad you liked it Oscar. I had a lot of fun making it. I'm not sure how many of these I have left in me really...my tastes are utterly predictab le and never surprising to anyone...
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

whodathunkit

Postby whodathunkit » 13 Jan 2015, 09:20

Could be setting myself up for a fall here but this one has the smell of Fange all over it.

1. Starts off as a doom-laden proggy instrumental but then the brass comes in and things get a bit funkier. Has the feel of an extended fanfare and makes for a great opener.
2. Regulation soul-belter. Frantic vocals and a drummer on speed. Nice
3. Things stay lively. The drummer hasn't come down yet. I would guess it's called "Take Me Baby" :D .
4. Some Joe Tex style preaching leading into JT style funk. Don't think its him though. Love this one.
5. On to the blues. Great vocal but could have done without the girlie chorus. And I kept expecting a blistering solo which never appeared.
6. Not to worry though 'cos here's Elmore. I have no critical faculties when it comes to Mr James. Every second is brilliant. Though I must say I don't know this one. Sounds like many of his others and I don't fucking care.
7. Unexpected country number about sitting around waiting to die, etc. I don't think it's Waylon but this guy obviously has all his albums. Good song with some superb slide playing.
8. Same sort of area. Touch of Steve Stills in the vocals. The song didn't have much impact but again the playing is impeccable.
9. Now this is nice. Chilled out soul vocal and a song I know but can't quite place- magnolias, whipperwills, southern breezes and all that malarkey. Gorgeous.
10. Out of reverie and into the funk. This one's just okay.
11. Long(ish) stately meandering jazz piece. Wish I could work out why some jazz appeals and some don't but this is one to appreciate rather than enjoy. 2 minutes in and I'm wondering what to have for a dinner. The piano solo hooked me back but overall not for me.
12. Back to my lowbrow comfort zone.70s detective/spy theme with some cracking swirly organ and thundering brass.
13. Great little latin boogaloo-type thing.
14. More in the same groove and just as enjoyable.
15. And three's a charm. My ignorance of latin/nuyorican/whatever music knows no bounds.
16. Gentle acoustic instrumental with a touch of samba to it. A thing of beauty.
17. Jazz organ/guitar workout. Call it a draw.. 5 winners on the trot.
18. "Living On Easy Street".This has all the right elements but the tinny production sort of lets it down.
19. Out on a high with a stomping soul number.. All the right elements put together perfectly.

Didn't know any of it and enjoyed most of it. Reveal required badly.

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 13 Jan 2015, 19:08

Minnie the Minx wrote:1. The unmistakable voice of Del Tha Funkee Homosapien. Deltron? No… Handsome Boy Modelling School? Yes, I think so. I’m happy with this. My kind of hip hop.

Absolutely!
Magnetizing ...Handsome Boy Modelling School. What an album eh?

Correct again, SIr!

Yeah...Sinead and 'Troy'. I knew it was a Marmite idea...

This is Snowpony and 'John Brown' I like it quite a lot, for reasons I can't explain

'I see You, You see me' by the magic numbers. The album is great, but if you don't like this, you probably won't think so...

Yes! 'Seven' by Fever Ray. I advise you to check out the album! Or cough!

Hee hee hee! 'Herringbone Tweed' by Dean and Britta - aren't they great?

3000 by Dr.Octagon. Another fine album

So am I, love. So am I.

It sounds like what David Bowie would have written had he been asked to do the theme to the Buddha of Suburbia and decided to fill out an album... 'The Mysteries'

I'm glad you liked it Oscar. I had a lot of fun making it. I'm not sure how many of these I have left in me really...my tastes are utterly predictab le and never surprising to anyone...

Ta, cock! A couple of nice surprises. Who could ask for more?

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 15 Jan 2015, 14:50

1. Lovely piece of Ivor Cutler to kick us off. Love that wee guy. Ye cannae wack it!
2. Lush strings, always a good sign. What a difference a day makes, Dinah Washington. Sheer class. They don’t make ‘em like this any more, and so on. Gorgeous.
3. This is that Max Richter Four Seasons thing, isn’t it? I kept meaning to buy this. I really must. I like him, although I’m forever put off the original Four Seasons having had to study it for O level music. Awful teachers.
4. Steve Mason. I don’t know the song. I have a ‘love/bored of’ relationship with his music, and have met him a number of times through mutual friends. I was a huge fan of the Beta Band, but haven’t enjoyed anyihtng he’s done since anywhere near as much. Not even close, really. I like the Ghosts Outside album, though. Probably more for the reggae than Mason, though. This is fine, but it does little for me. I think I saw him on this tour and, despite having a full band, he also had a backing tape with all these backing vocals, strings and all that. Very disappointing show. Still, better than a lot of things.
5. Pleasant-enough singer/songwriter thing. I don’t mind it, but I’d never choose to play something that takes itself this seriously. Maybe I would. I probably already do. I think he’s probably just a bit too neat. But it’s an OK track, and I would have probably loved it when I was 19. And it works well here. And it’s grown on me.
6. Ah yes, Phyllis Dillon – Perfidia. I bloody love this. We had a Phyllis Dillon record as our first dance when I got married a few years ago. I know this one too, not least as I used to love playing Perfidia on the organ when I was a kid. So many great versions, but I think this is the only vocal version I know. Great choice.
7. Another superb choice – the incredible Nina Simone, the other woman. Man, I love Nina. So much sadness, so beautifully expressed. You ever read her (disappointingly short) autobiography? A heartbreaking life, really.
8. I know this, but I’m buggered if I can remember what it is. It’s quite nice though, isn’t it? It’s been really bugging me what it is though. Tip of the tongue, you know? Nice though. I think I already said that. M83?
9. Similar thoughts to track 5, really, although I like this one more. It’s light.
10. More from Ivor Cutler. Delightful!
11. I love this. What is it? I want to buy an old, scratchy copy of it and play it a little too loud when I’ve had a little too much whisky. Like I do with an old Richard Anthony EP. If ever a record deserved to go on and on…
12. I know this one too, but again, I can’t remember what it is or where I know it from. I liked it a lot more whenever it was I heard it first. It feels a bit like a mix that doesn’t work. The problem is the intro goes on waaaaaaay too long to go with the rest of the song. Those drums, basically, don’t fit, and the whole intro (and much of the rest) sounds like background music for a montage of sports figures who’ve died in the previous 12 months on the sports personality of the year show.
13. I keep trying not to like this, but then I find myself thinking it’s really good, despite myself. She lets rip, doesn’t she? Really reminds me of somebody, can, again, I can’t think who. It’s a reasonable song but so very well sung. Really keen to find out who this is.
14. Nice wee Bonnie Prince Billy song. I have loads of his albums, but don’t have this one. He has a lot of records, doesn’t he? Anyway, as with pretty much any of his songs, I like this a lot. He’s superb live, too.
15. Neat version of Devil Got My Woman, pretty true to Skip James. Very nice.
16. It’s All Over Now Baby by Them (I thought it was the Animals for a while). It’s great, isn’t it? Didn’t Beck sample that guitar part and build a song round it? I always forget how good Them were, mainly because it’s hard not to think bad of anything involving Van Morrison. I should get some of their records really.
17. Another one I know but haven’t a clue what it is or where I’ve heard it. It’s good though. Strings and wood wind, winding round and round, picking up on each rotation. Builds well. I’m pretty sure I’ve used this on a mix club disc in the past. Cinematic. Tense.
18. This is just too good. I know the song form the Siouxsie/Morrissey version, but didn’t realize it was a cover. This knocks spots off their version. I love it.
19. And we finish off with Ivor again. I like the sound his voice makes as he speaks. His delivery is exceptional.

Thanks for a great disc. I thoroughly enjoyed this and it’s already had a good few spins. Looking forward to the reveal!

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 16 Jan 2015, 09:10

T. Willy Rye wrote:Hey Mixer,

Track 1 is taken from Bob Dylan's radio program. This one is a novelty track that I guess is a “hoot” in that it was recorded in 1947 and contained some wacky vocals-- the title is I'm My Own Grandpa (couldn't really understand most of Bob's other mumblings) but is only really much fun the first time and after that feels like homework assigned from Harry Smith's History of American Music 101 class. Sorry.

Ah well, I like it. I thought it was just a good song, well played. Btu I can see it’s niche!

T. Willy Rye wrote:Track 2 also seems to have Appalachian roots. At first I didn't like the vocals, but every time I listen, they become a little more haunting and that fiddle is pretty powerful too. A grower.

That was always the way I felt about her singing. And once it grabs you, you stay grabbed. Karen Dalton, with Katie Cruel. I have three discs by her and they’re all excellent.

T. Willy Rye wrote:Track 3 is a song I think I know called Tecumseh Valley, but I don't think I know this version. No matter it's great. So far my mixer is certainly focused on Appalachia which is okay by me.

This is Townes van Zandt, the man who wrote the song. He wrote a lot of great songs, and sings them all really well. Some cat.

T. Willy Rye wrote:
Track 4 is Dark End of the Street. Not sure I have much to add to how great this track is.

But this isn’t the James Carr version. This is Roy Hamilton’s version, which Carr himself claimed was the ultimate version. I’m not sure I agree, but it’s an incredible version regardless.

T. Willy Rye wrote:
Track 5 is a gospel group's version of I Shall Be Released. It's okay, not one that I will be coming back to anytime soon.

It’s by Marion Williams.

T. Willy Rye wrote:
Track 6 has got a nice easy groove, that guitar fill is sensational. I also like the backing vocals. Very solid.

Dori Grayson – Try Love. I don’t really know anything about her other than she sounds like this, and that’s a good thing.

T. Willy Rye wrote:

It’s not Jimmy Page, no. It’s the Butthole Surfers. I think that’s possibly the first time anyone’s ever muddled those two up! ;-) the video for this is amazing. Look it up on youtube if you fancy seeing some seriously weird people!

T. Willy Rye wrote:Track 8 is like a French Roy Orbison with pretty orchestration. Not sure what to do with this. I don't think I would listen to this much, but I've gone through it a couple times-- probably enough to last me.

I thought that, and yet I keep coming back to it, year after year. It’ll get you too, if you let it. Michael Polnareff with Love Me, Please Love Me. Sometimes, I watch videos and look at photos of him, just for kicks. Give it a go. He’s a scream.

T. Willy Rye wrote:Track 9 says Frank Zappa and is confirmation for why I don't really care for Frank Zappa. Sorry

It’s disappointing that this new system means that you know what you’re listening to in advance. You may well have disliked this blind, too, but I also can’t get on with Zappa, but this one took me by surprise when I didn’t know who it was. I think it’s one of only 2 Zappa songs I’ve ever liked, in fact.

T. Willy Rye wrote:Track 10 is pretty good gospel influenced R& B. I'm just not as wild about those over the top vocals as you are dear mixer.

This is the Sweet Inspirations, who were Elvis’ backing singers, among other things. This is one of my desert island discs. Over the top? You’re now dead to me. Just so you know.

T. Willy Rye wrote:Track 11 is just plain great. That voice sounds familiar and is perfectly suited to the gut-wrenching material. Love

The remarkable Howard Tate with I Learned It All the Hard Way. Glad you enjoyed it. It’s one of my favourite soul records. He had a pretty tough time of it, that’s for sure!

T. Willy Rye wrote:Track 12 is more rooted in 50s doo wop and while it's nicely sung and I don't have major objections, it's less my sort of thing than the previous track.

The Paragons – If. I’m not sure pop ever got better than this.

T. Willy Rye wrote:Track 13 is more doo wop. My Mrs. is not digging it.

The Slades – You Cheated. I genuinely don’t understand how it could be possible to not like this. Which I understand is my issue, not yours or that of your good lady wife. But my brain can’t entertain the concept of not liking this, any more than I wouldn’t understand if someone said they didn’t like air (the stuff we breathe, not the french band).

T. Willy Rye wrote:Track 14 sounds like Sarah Vaughan. Her voice is always so hard hitting and this one is no exception. Good thing the powers-that-be knew to keep the arrangement sparse.

Sarah Vaughan would be flattered. This is Ella Fitzgerald with Reaching for the Moon, a great Irving Berlin song. It won’t come as any shock that this is from the 1958 album Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Irving Berlin Songbook.
T. Willy Rye wrote:Track 15 is pretty great early ska that lets it R &B roots bleed through. Like this one a lot.

The great Alton Ellis, with Why Birds Follow Spring, one of the original Trojan Records first releases. I have a few of his albums, and everything is as good as this. He was magic. The style is ‘rocksteady’, which is comfortably my favourite Jamaican sound.

T. Willy Rye wrote:Track 16 sounds like it's from a similar era. Not quite as great as the previous track, but still pretty good.

Indeed – same time, place, genre, label. This is Phyllis Dillon with Tulips from Heaven. By coincidence, my mixer put a track of hers on my disc this month.

T. Willy Rye wrote:Track 17 is The Beatles Till There Was You. A favorite of the Mrs. Kind of odd to hear such a familiar track emerge in the midst of never heard ones.

Your wife has redeemed herself. I’ve been singing this to my baby boy for the last year, as it seems to have some magical quality that calms him no matter how upset he is.

T. Willy Rye wrote:Track 18 is a rockabilly version of the standard Pretend that I associate with Nat King Cole. Really like this.

This is Carl Mann, who had a few records out on Sun. I don’t know who he was, but it’s a nice cut, isn’t it?

T. Willy Rye wrote:Track 19 is more rockabilly. This is more unhinged-- you can definitely see the Cramps listening to this one.

Indeed! Sonny Burgess with Sadie’s Back In Town. He was born in the 1920, and is still performing. Cool, huh?

T. Willy Rye wrote:Track 20 along with 11, this is my favorite. Rockabilly cut with some cinematic soundtrack type music. Very pleasant and over much too soon.

Now, due to the problems I had with trying (unsuccessfully, it seems) to remove the tags, I don’t know for sure what song I put on last. But I’m pretty sure it was Wonderful Land by the Shadows, and your description would appear to bear that out. And if it wasn’t then go and listen to that on youtube, because t’s bloody magic!

T. Willy Rye wrote:Thanks! I enjoyed a fair amount of this.

Glad to hear it! Shout if you need further, er, enlightenment, dig? :D

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 16 Jan 2015, 14:28

Apologies for delay. In my defence I ended up with two discs to review this month and as they arrived around the same time, in fairness to TG and Whodathunkit, for it is they, I wanted to post the reviews together.. Much to enjoy on both, so in purely alphabetical order.

TG

1) This is such a distinctive voice that I feel I really should know it. Good start in any case. Like this one.
2) Merle or someone similar. No problem with this as proper country, even if my personal taste would be the more soulful.ballady end of the spectrum
3) A pretty great version of this, but then it is not going to displace the Dillard and Clark version.
4) Up my street and a voice I recognize. I probably own this. On balance I’m going to plump for this being The Jayhawks
5) Again the voice is as distinctive and naggingly familiar as that of track one. Like this one a lot and am curious for the reveal…..
6) … this one too. Like this one a lot too and great playing, leaden drummer aside.
7) The title for this mix could well be “vocals you think you recognize but can’t place” Another winner, but another that’s bugging the hell out of me.
8) However I think I may well know the next run of three. Brickyard blues and I’m pretty sure this is Frankie Miller. I have some Frankie somewhere but haven’t played it in a while. This doesn’t exactly go into any unusual territory. It’s pretty much “meat and potatoes” but there’s nothing wrong with that.
9) There’s always a few artists who never make it into the collection and you often wonder why that is. One such is certainly JJ Cale. I like most I have heard but never invested. I’m sure there’s one of those 5 albums sets available. May have to investigate.
10) Took a short while to spot the voices as singing together tended to merge the two, but unless I’m mistaken this is Dylan and Cash. I have a bootleg somewhere of al the sessions courtesy of Matt Wilson, so I probably own this. Great as it ought to be of course.
11) Fast harp driven bluesy instrumental, but sounds more like a rock band.
12) Terrific piano intro. I ws going to say that the version of this I have and know was by Charlie Rich, but I have a felling this might be Charlie Rich as I know he recorded this more than once. Great stuff.
13) And after rock blues and country blues we have what is most assuredly blues blues. The guitar is the star. Sounds later in blues terms, Buddy Guy maybe? The later stuff can sound a bit generic at times but you really can’t deny the playing here.
14) Alas you lost me a bit with the last two. This was certainly my least favourite thing here. Soft rock that verges into that kind of Scorpions (shudder) territory. Acoustic guitar and harmony vocals as if to prove they’re really sensitive souls before decending into jam territory. Pass.
15) This is kind of OK. The playing is fine but there is no discernible character in the vocals which makes the whole thing sound a bit stodgy

Thanks Tom, although it tailed off at the end for me, those I liked I liked a lot and I'm expecting the "D'oh" count to be quite high following the reveal.

WHODATHUNKIT

1) Well this takes me back, but I guess that is kind of the point. I knew I’d heard this before as a catch all comedy theme, but had it in mind it was used by Harry Worth. I was trying to picture the arm and leg thing and seeing if the music fit. Anyway I eventually went to youtube which confirmed my suspicions. Whatever happened to Harry Worth? Most of the TV comedians from that era had some kind of extended career, but he only seemed to be in the public eye for a year or two. I can only think of Arthur Haynes from that era with a similarly short TV career. Anyway enough of the comedic nostalgia…..
2) Love this. Raw early Stones feel with a great bit of sax honk.
3) Van. Later Van by the sound of it. He can sound like he’s coasting at times but hey he has the chops for sure. Oddly enough he sings here “please won’t you cut me some slack”. You know what Van yes I will.
4) Motown. Sounds like it could be David Ruffin, so obviously it’s great
5) Some early jazz, “struuters ball” style. Nice little toetapper
6) In a similar vein but with more vocals. Enjoyable hokum.
7) I’m sure I’ve heard the song before (I got Mine). Great version whoever it is.
8) This is a weird one. A bizarre garage/psych/raga mix. Certainly grabs the attention. Could well be a grower
9) Lovely almost fairground style riff and everlyish vocals. This was quite slight but really reeled me in. Great little pop song.
10) Pearlfishers – I recall you being underwhelmed by this album in NP which surprised me as I thought it was up to scratch. This song near the end is gorgeous of course and I think the opening few are solid. You could say it sags in the middle a bit I suppose, but then you could say that about me !!
11) Prefab Sprout – Jordan remains their masterpiece for me but this was a surprisingly good return to form I thought.
12) Country troubadour style (Townes, Steve Earle, Slaid Cleaves et al), the kind who manage to rise above the usual Americana crowd. Love this.
13) When country sounds just like country oughta, a tick in the box is pretty mush guaranteed.
14) There seems a whole new array of artists who you could probably term “bastard daughters of Gillian Welch” Anais Mitchell, Angel Olsen etc. This doesn’t necessarily rise from the crowd, but it is a sound I generally like and this is no exception.
15) Probably unfair to call this the only misfire on the disc. I didn’t hate this. I quite liked it even, but it is way oversung. The vocals’ started to annoy me which is a shame as there is nothing wrong with the song I just wished the singer wouldn’t try so hard and let the song speak for itself……..
16) ….like this. Simply lovely. Need to know who this is.
17) This is great too. Really simple song reminds me of John Prine’s style. Another anticipated reveal.
18) And a great bit of high energy sweaty soul to finish.

Cheers Bob, certainly more hits than misses.
We're way past rhubarb

T. Willy Rye

Postby T. Willy Rye » 17 Jan 2015, 01:42

whodathunkit wrote:Could be setting myself up for a fall here but this one has the smell of Fange all over it.

Hey Bob- this was me. Ange is taken a month or two off.

1. Starts off as a doom-laden proggy instrumental but then the brass comes in and things get a bit funkier. Has the feel of an extended fanfare and makes for a great opener.

Proggy, not on my watch. This is Budos Band with Into the Fog.

2. Regulation soul-belter. Frantic vocals and a drummer on speed. Nice

Glad you liked this- Alfreda Brockington with Chained and Bound from the Philadelphia Roots comp.

3. Things stay lively. The drummer hasn't come down yet. I would guess it's called "Take Me Baby" :D .

Althea Spencer (whoever she is).
4. Some Joe Tex style preaching leading into JT style funk. Don't think its him though. Love this one.

This comes from a recent Sou Jazz comp. New Orleans Soul. I've never heard Lionel Hamilton before, but I'll be interested to hear anything else he may have recorded. Not sure if Allen Toussaint was involved with this at all.

5. On to the blues. Great vocal but could have done without the girlie chorus. And I kept expecting a blistering solo which never appeared.

I've been on a bit of a Magic Sam kick lately.

6. Not to worry though 'cos here's Elmore. I have no critical faculties when it comes to Mr James. Every second is brilliant. Though I must say I don't know this one. Sounds like many of his others and I don't fucking care.

I've been listening to a fair amount of Elmore as well. This is Wild About You

7. Unexpected country number about sitting around waiting to die, etc. I don't think it's Waylon but this guy obviously has all his albums. Good song with some superb slide playing.

Sorry, should've given you some warning.This is Sturgill Simpson. Trying to bring some contemporary country in.

8. Same sort of area. Touch of Steve Stills in the vocals. The song didn't have much impact but again the playing is impeccable.

This is by a guy named Bill Wilson who I'm meaning to check in to further.

9. Now this is nice. Chilled out soul vocal and a song I know but can't quite place- magnolias, whipperwills, southern breezes and all that malarkey. Gorgeous.

I might be banished for including so many Lee Fields songs, but I love him so...

10. Out of reverie and into the funk. This one's just okay.

I wonder if you give this one some time to percolate. It keeps coming for me at odd times during the day. And I love the backing vocals and those horns are so persistent. C'mon Bob this one's a muthafucka!

11. Long(ish) stately meandering jazz piece. Wish I could work out why some jazz appeals and some don't but this is one to appreciate rather than enjoy. 2 minutes in and I'm wondering what to have for a dinner. The piano solo hooked me back but overall not for me.

Thought I was gonna get through this unscathed, but I think outta the 4 or 5 mixes I sent your way this is among the best received. I'm not sure how you could be bored by that trumpet or rhythm section, but to each his own. This is Kenny Drew with Funk-Cosity

12. Back to my lowbrow comfort zone.70s detective/spy theme with some cracking swirly organ and thundering brass.

If this is what low-brow is, I'm willing to climb down there with you. On a Bicycle Made for 3 by Brass Incorporated

13. Great little latin boogaloo-type thing.

Yep, this type of thing generally works for me. Angel Rene and Johnny Rodriguez.

14. More in the same groove and just as enjoyable.

This just came up on my ipod one day. I liked it and here it is. I know nothing about it. Pelona by a band named Bakuleye

15. And three's a charm. My ignorance of latin/nuyorican/whatever music knows no bounds.

This one comes from Peru by Andres De Colbert Y Orquestra.

16. Gentle acoustic instrumental with a touch of samba to it. A thing of beauty.

I remember reading your response to an acoustic guitar piece and thought this might appeal to you. It's the great Baden Powell.

17. Jazz organ/guitar workout. Call it a draw.. 5 winners on the trot.

You've been receptive to some jazz in the past. I need to think more about what you like. Baby Face Willette

18. "Living On Easy Street".This has all the right elements but the tinny production sort of lets it down.

I'm sure recording for USA Records wasn't optimal, but I still like it loads. AC Reed here.

19. Out on a high with a stomping soul number.. All the right elements put together perfectly.

Lonnie Brooks with Hot Shot

Didn't know any of it and enjoyed most of it. Reveal required badly.

Track list:

1. Into the Fog- The Budos Bans
2. Chained and Bound- Alfreda Brockington
3. Take Me Baby- Althea Spencer
4. Steppin' Out- Lionel Robinson
5. My Love is Your Love- Magic Sam
6. Wild About You- Elmore James
7. Living the Dream- Sturgill Simpson
8. Pay Day Give Away- Bill Wilson
9. Magnolia- Lee Fields
10 I'm Gonna Get Your Thing- Lee Haris
11. Funk-Cosity- Kenny Drew
12. On a Bicycle Made for 3- Brass Incorporated
13. Cookin' With A and J- Angel Rene and Johnny Rodriguez
14. Pelona- Bakuleye
15. Me Voy a Bailar Pachanga- Andres De Colbert y Orquestra
16. Consolocao- Baden Powell
17. Mo-Roc- Baby Face Willette
18. I Got Money to Burn- AC Reed
19. Hot Shot- Lonnie Brooks

T. Willy Rye

Postby T. Willy Rye » 17 Jan 2015, 01:47

bhoywonder wrote:
T. Willy Rye wrote:

It’s not Jimmy Page, no. It’s the Butthole Surfers. I think that’s possibly the first time anyone’s ever muddled those two up! ;-) the video for this is amazing. Look it up on youtube if you fancy seeing some seriously weird people!

:oops: It's been so long since I've heard their cover that I've just sort of merged it with the original Donovan version.

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 17 Jan 2015, 13:51

I reviewed my own mix, after I'd sent it. Not a good idea. I thought it was about 3 tracks too long. So, I'm overjoyed that you enjoyed it.

The reveal;

bhoywonder wrote:1. Lovely piece of Ivor Cutler to kick us off. Love that wee guy. Ye cannae wack it!
They’re nice fillers. Appropriate too for a faux Scot.

bhoywonder wrote:2. Lush strings, always a good sign. What a difference a day makes, Dinah Washington. Sheer class. They don’t make ‘em like this any more, and so on. Gorgeous.
Correct. Strings is my thing(s)

bhoywonder wrote:3. This is that Max Richter Four Seasons thing, isn’t it? I kept meaning to buy this. I really must. I like him, although I’m forever put off the original Four Seasons having had to study it for O level music. Awful teachers.
Correct. 'Four Seasons' stripped.

bhoywonder wrote:4. Steve Mason. I don’t know the song. I have a ‘love/bored of’ relationship with his music, and have met him a number of times through mutual friends. I was a huge fan of the Beta Band, but haven’t enjoyed anyihtng he’s done since anywhere near as much. Not even close, really. I like the Ghosts Outside album, though. Probably more for the reggae than Mason, though. This is fine, but it does little for me. I think I saw him on this tour and, despite having a full band, he also had a backing tape with all these backing vocals, strings and all that. Very disappointing show. Still, better than a lot of things.
Exactly like my feelings about him. I saw him last July. Nice enough but…

bhoywonder wrote: 5. Pleasant-enough singer/songwriter thing. I don’t mind it, but I’d never choose to play something that takes itself this seriously. Maybe I would. I probably already do. I think he’s probably just a bit too neat. But it’s an OK track, and I would have probably loved it when I was 19. And it works well here. And it’s grown on me.
Mark Kozelek – Send in The Clowns. I keep promising myself to investigate further but haven’t yet. I love his misery.

bhoywonder wrote: 6. Ah yes, Phyllis Dillon – Perfidia. I bloody love this. We had a Phyllis Dillon record as our first dance when I got married a few years ago. I know this one too, not least as I used to love playing Perfidia on the organ when I was a kid. So many great versions, but I think this is the only vocal version I know. Great choice.
Correct. I think it’s the only vocal version I’ve heard too.
bhoywonder wrote:
7. Another superb choice – the incredible Nina Simone, the other woman. Man, I love Nina. So much sadness, so beautifully expressed. You ever read her (disappointingly short) autobiography? A heartbreaking life, really.
Correct. I love the album this is from (At Town Hall). I think it brings much more depth and intimacy to her songs.

bhoywonder wrote:8. I know this, but I’m buggered if I can remember what it is. It’s quite nice though, isn’t it? It’s been really bugging me what it is though. Tip of the tongue, you know? Nice though. I think I already said that. M83?
Moby - God Moving over the Face of the Waters. I’m not really a fan of Moby but this is from the magnificent film “Heat”. And it’s a nice piece of music too.

bhoywonder wrote: 9. Similar thoughts to track 5, really, although I like this one more. It’s light.
Buffalo Springfield – Sad Memory. I did some exploration through their music late last year (well overdue) and there’s some precious stuff in there.

bhoywonder wrote: 10. More from Ivor Cutler. Delightful!
Indeed.

bhoywonder wrote: 11. I love this. What is it? I want to buy an old, scratchy copy of it and play it a little too loud when I’ve had a little too much whisky. Like I do with an old Richard Anthony EP. If ever a record deserved to go on and on…
It’s a wonderful song… an incredible camp drama. “What Makes A Man” by Charles Aznavour

bhoywonder wrote:12. I know this one too, but again, I can’t remember what it is or where I know it from. I liked it a lot more whenever it was I heard it first. It feels a bit like a mix that doesn’t work. The problem is the intro goes on waaaaaaay too long to go with the rest of the song. Those drums, basically, don’t fit, and the whole intro (and much of the rest) sounds like background music for a montage of sports figures who’ve died in the previous 12 months on the sports personality of the year show.
I don’t know nearly enough about this artist to put up much of a defence but the handful of songs/tunes that I’ve heard have that really rich timeless feel (reminding me a bit of other French retroists, Air). La ritournelle by Sebastien Tellier

bhoywonder wrote: 13. I keep trying not to like this, but then I find myself thinking it’s really good, despite myself. She lets rip, doesn’t she? Really reminds me of somebody, can, again, I can’t think who. It’s a reasonable song but so very well sung. Really keen to find out who this is.
”Ancora Qui” by Elisa Toffoli from Tarantino’s “Django Unchained” soundtrack.

bhoywonder wrote: 14. Nice wee Bonnie Prince Billy song. I have loads of his albums, but don’t have this one. He has a lot of records, doesn’t he? Anyway, as with pretty much any of his songs, I like this a lot. He’s superb live, too.
Well, I’ve only got 3 or 4 of his albums and I don’t think I could really cope with more. I think you can have too much BPB. “Careless Love” from ‘Ease On Down The Road’. Haven’t had the pleasure of seeing him live… yet.

bhoywonder wrote:15. Neat version of Devil Got My Woman, pretty true to Skip James. Very nice.
It is a fabulous version… By Skip James. This is from his album ‘Today!’ recorded in 1966 after he was “rediscovered”. This may sound sacrilegious but I love these recordings more than the crackly original stuff. Sorry!

bhoywonder wrote: 16. It’s All Over Now Baby by Them (I thought it was the Animals for a while). It’s great, isn’t it? Didn’t Beck sample that guitar part and build a song round it? I always forget how good Them were, mainly because it’s hard not to think bad of anything involving Van Morrison. I should get some of their records really.
Correct…. On most points.

bhoywonder wrote: 17. Another one I know but haven’t a clue what it is or where I’ve heard it. It’s good though. Strings and wood wind, winding round and round, picking up on each rotation. Builds well. I’m pretty sure I’ve used this on a mix club disc in the past. Cinematic. Tense.
Glass: Violin Concerto - Mvt. 2 by Philip Glass. It’s possible you’ve had a Glass track from me on a mix club disc or jolly-up disc. He generally makes it on my mixes. Although, now I’ve disclosed this I’ll make an effort not to do it again.

bhoywonder wrote:18. This is just too good. I know the song form the Siouxsie/Morrissey version, but didn’t realize it was a cover. This knocks spots off their version. I love it.
Interlude by Timi Yuro. Fantastic vocalist and more famous for her version of “Hurt” and the Northern Soul end of night closer “It’ll Never Be Over For Me” (One of my all-time favourite songs).

bhoywonder wrote:19. And we finish off with Ivor again. I like the sound his voice makes as he speaks. His delivery is exceptional.
True

Ivor Cutler- Life In A Scottish Living Room
Dinah Washington -What A Difference A Day Makes
Max Richter -Winter 3
Steve Mason -Fight Them Back
Mark Kozelek -Send in the Clowns
Phyllis Dillon -Perfidia
Nina Simone -The Other Woman
Moby -God Moving over the Face of the Waters
Buffalo Springfield - Sad Memory
Ivor Cutler- Life In A Scotch Sitting Room
Charles Aznavour -What makes a man
Sebastien Tellier -La ritournelle
Elisa Toffoli -Ancora Qui
Bonnie Prince Billy- Careless Love
Skip James -Devil Got My Woman
Them- It's All Over Now Baby Blue
Philip Glass- Glass: Violin Concerto - Mvt. 2
Timi Yuro- Interlude (Time)
Ivor Cutler- Life In A Scotch Sitting Room

TG

Postby TG » 19 Jan 2015, 17:10

The Fish wrote:Apologies for delay. In my defence I ended up with two discs to review this month and as they arrived around the same time, in fairness to TG and Whodathunkit, for it is they, I wanted to post the reviews together.. Much to enjoy on both, so in purely alphabetical order.

TG

1) This is such a distinctive voice that I feel I really should know it. Good start in any case. Like this one.

The original of It Ain't Easy; a song covered by David Bowie, Long John Baldry, Three Dog Night, Dave Edmunds and who knows who else. This is by Ron Davies and is the best version by my reckoning.

2) Merle or someone similar. No problem with this as proper country, even if my personal taste would be the more soulful.ballady end of the spectrum

I'm Gonna Kill You by Wynn Stewart. A song a band I used to be in covered and it always went over well.

3) A pretty great version of this, but then it is not going to displace the Dillard and Clark version.

Why Not Your Baby by Velvet Crush. I knew this version before I heard the Dillard & Clark version and I like this one a whole lot better. The arrangement seems to fit better than the banjo picking on the original.

4) Up my street and a voice I recognize. I probably own this. On balance I’m going to plump for this being The Jayhawks

A cover of The Faces' Glad and Sorry by Golden Smog; an alt-country supergroup featuring two of The Jayhawks. So, not a bad guess.

5) Again the voice is as distinctive and naggingly familiar as that of track one. Like this one a lot and am curious for the reveal…..

Fleetwood Mac from the Kiln House album. Probably my favorite album by them. It's called Jewel Eyed Julie.

6) … this one too. Like this one a lot too and great playing, leaden drummer aside.

Drive By Truckers from an Eddie Hinton tribute record. Everybody Needs Love it's called and it is a great soulful reading of the track. I really like this band a lot.

7) The title for this mix could well be “vocals you think you recognize but can’t place” Another winner, but another that’s bugging the hell out of me.

A mid 60s single by songwriter Dan Penn called Is A Bluebird Blue? There was a minor C&W hit version of this that sounds nothing like this version. I was searching around the 'net trying to find some blogspot that had his demos of the songs he wrote for others. They are supposed to be tremendous but he doesn't want them released. I found this and a few other tracks but not the tracks I was looking for.

8) However I think I may well know the next run of three. Brickyard blues and I’m pretty sure this is Frankie Miller. I have some Frankie somewhere but haven’t played it in a while. This doesn’t exactly go into any unusual territory. It’s pretty much “meat and potatoes” but there’s nothing wrong with that.

From Mr. Miller's Highlife LP produced by Allen Toussaint. A fine record overall but this is the standout track.

9) There’s always a few artists who never make it into the collection and you often wonder why that is. One such is certainly JJ Cale. I like most I have heard but never invested. I’m sure there’s one of those 5 albums sets available. May have to investigate.

I felt the same way and so bought a 20-some odd track comp that really hits the spot when I'm in the mood for this sort of thing. I knew the Lynyrd Skynyrd cover before I'd heard this. His relaxed, almost matter of fact style really appeals to me.

10) Took a short while to spot the voices as singing together tended to merge the two, but unless I’m mistaken this is Dylan and Cash. I have a bootleg somewhere of al the sessions courtesy of Matt Wilson, so I probably own this. Great as it ought to be of course.

Blue Yodel #1 (T for Texas) by Dylan and Cash. Another of the very few things I've ever downloaded. It's a fine version. If it hasn't happened already maybe these will come out on one of the Bootleg Series releases someday. I'd buy it.

11) Fast harp driven bluesy instrumental, but sounds more like a rock band.

The Lovin' Spoonful's Big Noise From Speonk. A few years back I splurged for a run of most of their albums on remastered CDs cause I only knew the hits. A pretty fine (and fun) band.

12) Terrific piano intro. I ws going to say that the version of this I have and know was by Charlie Rich, but I have a felling this might be Charlie Rich as I know he recorded this more than once. Great stuff.

I found a Sun Story CD box at a thrift store a year or so ago and this comes from there. Apparently this (Don't Put No Headstone On My Grave) was released originally with a bunch of overdubs. For the box they went back to the original tapes without the additions and this is what you get. Pretty amazing, if you ask me.

13) And after rock blues and country blues we have what is most assuredly blues blues. The guitar is the star. Sounds later in blues terms, Buddy Guy maybe? The later stuff can sound a bit generic at times but you really can’t deny the playing here.

From a Record Store Day single from a couple of years back. It's called Bernard Jenkins (I have no idea who that is or why they would use that title). It's John Mayall and Eric Clapton.

14) Alas you lost me a bit with the last two. This was certainly my least favourite thing here. Soft rock that verges into that kind of Scorpions (shudder) territory. Acoustic guitar and harmony vocals as if to prove they’re really sensitive souls before decending into jam territory. Pass.

The Scorpions??? Excuse me but this is Whiskey Woman by The Flamin' Groovies from the Teenage Head album. Surely more Sticky Fingers era Stones than The Scorpions. The Scorpions???

15) This is kind of OK. The playing is fine but there is no discernible character in the vocals which makes the whole thing sound a bit stodgy

Ron Wood from the Gimme Some Neck LP. It's Dylan's Seven Days and I almost didn't use it because I figured you would already know and like it. Shows you how wrong one can be in the Mix Club.

Thanks Tom, although it tailed off at the end for me, those I liked I liked a lot and I'm expecting the "D'oh" count to be quite high following the reveal.

It Ain't Easy Ron Davies
I'm Gonna Kill You Wynn Stewart
Why Not Your Baby Velvet Crush
Glad & Sorry Golden Smog
Jewel Eyed Judy Fleetwood Mac
Everybody Needs Love Drive By Truckers
Is A Bluebird Blue (MGM K13415) Dan Penn
Brickyard Blues Frankie Miller
Call Me The Breeze J.J. Cale
Blue Yodel #1 (T for Texas) Bob Dylan/Johnny Cash
Big Noise From Speonk The Lovin' Spoonful
Don't Put No Headstone On My Grave Charlie Rich
Bernard Jenkins J Mayall/E Clapton
Whiskey Woman The Flamin' Groovies
Seven Days Ron Wood
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

dgs

Postby dgs » 20 Jan 2015, 00:17

Oscar51 wrote:Max Richter -Winter 3

Seriously?

Winter 3 over winter 2 or summer 1?

We need to talk!

:P
I'm a panic depressive and suffer from manic attacks. :(

Return to “Mix Club”