October 2014 Reviews

Exchange mix CDs with each other.
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Re: October 2014 Reviews

Postby Minnie the Minx » 08 Dec 2014, 04:03

The MOST profuse apologies to the sender of my disc. I have absolutely no excuses. We had a busy busy month but really, the length of time is not acceptable. I am so sorry.

Onto the disc!

1. Nice sort of Philip Glassy morphs into The Knife this one - piano, swirly build up, yep, my kind of thing, but I'm very annoyed because I think I should know who it is AND I DON"T!!! :x
2. Hmm, nice, hip hoppy thing, breathy, woman sounds like she might be Norwegian - nice enough
3.CHICKS ON FUCKING SPEED MAN - how great was / is that bass? Oh lovely
4.Some lovely ole' hip hop that I can't put a name to but is making me smiiiiiile sat here.
5.Le Tigreeeeeee! This is how I often imagine my band sounding (when I'm drunk)... love love love. How much does this sound like Daft Punk et al?
6.Fucking wonderful. I mean just wonderful. And I would put money on this being the Flying Lizards but I think if it was, I would know who it was...
7. A bit less keen on this though I like the music the vocals, while very clear and lovely are somewhat earnest.
8. I am loving the way this disc is going. This is poppy, vaguely sinister, CATCHY AS FUCK!
9. Trying to pin a name on the woman singing this is going to drive me MAD AS A BAT so I am going to stop. I have now played it three times. It's great. It's just so, so great. The bass intro is the tits.
10.Not SO keen on this - though I generally empathise with the way it's going - but the vocals stray a little too much into oTT for my liking. (says me the Kate Bush obsessive)
11.Well now, this is absolutely gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous. Lovely female vocal, crazy arrangment, introspective lyrics, dare I say I can imagine Bowie writing this? Love this, can't wait to find out who it is!
12. Now this is one of those things that sounds like it could and should be eighties, but actually is retro eighties, but I am still no nearer knowing who it is. I quite like it though, though it doesn't really...go anywhere.
13.I am guessing this is modern - it's sort of got shitloads shoved in it. Eighties drums, stock aitken and waterman piano, Chic guitar, and I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but it's like a big eighties trifle and I wish it was just a pie.
14. It's late and I can't remember if this is Fever Ray or the Knife, but I am guessing it is one of the two. Am I right? I'm right aren't I. I fucking have this record somewhere. I should unpack.
15. Fucking hell! This is fucking GREAT! A jarring, unsettling little number - literally - I have got chills up my spine listening to this now - and I cannot place it for a minute. One second you get vaguely sucked in thinking it's kind of run of the mill, then the next minute something happens that's like a stun gun. Love it ! Can't wait to find out who this is either! Oh...and I fucking LOVE a drop dead ending.

NOw then sender - I feel a double apology is in order as I for the most part LOVED THIS DISC. You clearly know what pushes my buttons and verily, they were pushed. I can not WAIT for the reveal. And you know what, you should wait a month, that would serve me bloody right.
Loved it. THANK YOU.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 13 Dec 2014, 11:44

I had no idea that pension festivities could take a month and a half. But they did so apologies for the lateness. Also for the briefness of the review but I had a car accident two days ago and I'm not feeling too chipper.
So, 10 songs then:

01. Terrific start. This is Jah Wobble, no doubt. Which BCB’er knows I like my Dub, I wonder. Great great track.
02. Adolescent Sex by early Japan. I prefer their later music and Sylvian’s solo stuff but, yeah, I can chew this one as well. Good
03. A slower track, dreamy vocals, dreamy music. Sounds like something out of the Sixties although I have my doubts about that. Very good.
04. I should know this voice. Sounds like Kevin Ayers but it’s not lazy enough.
05. Another one I feel I should know. Sounds like a non-punk Stiff act.
06. Girly voice introduction with a lot of flange. Lots of bass as well. Slow track, I was almost going to say it’s Madonna from somewhere in her Vogue period. Or is it?
07. Another girl track, slow as well. No idea who but I like it. Better than number 6 too.
08. Slow instrumental with lots of keyboards. Gets on my nerves. The only track so far that doesn’t do it for me.
09. Another early Japan soundalike. Really no idea as to who. I think that period must have passed me by.
10. Breathy vocals and a slow, longing song. My mixer likes the slow ones. And she’s right of course. Very good one this.

Thank you Anna (?) only one out of ten that wasn't for me. But nine out of ten were. A very good mix.
Keep 'em coming!
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 16 Dec 2014, 02:01

Oh dear Yves! Sorry to hear about the car accident. Hope you're doing ok.
Yes, it was me! So, onto the list....

01. Terrific start. This is Jah Wobble, no doubt. Which BCB’er knows I like my Dub, I wonder. Great great track.

Indeed, Becoming More Like God

02. Adolescent Sex by early Japan. I prefer their later music and Sylvian’s solo stuff but, yeah, I can chew this one as well. Good

Correct!

03. A slower track, dreamy vocals, dreamy music. Sounds like something out of the Sixties although I have my doubts about that. Very good.

This is Helicopter by Deerhunter from the album Halcyon Digest which I suspect if you like this, you might really like...

04. I should know this voice. Sounds like Kevin Ayers but it’s not lazy enough.

Eric Matthews and Ideas That Died That Day from The Lateness of the Hour

05. Another one I feel I should know. Sounds like a non-punk Stiff act.

Love Me Like You by The Magic Numbers from their same titled fabulous album

06. Girly voice introduction with a lot of flange. Lots of bass as well. Slow track, I was almost going to say it’s Madonna from somewhere in her Vogue period. Or is it?

Indeed! What It Feels Like For a Girl from Music

07. Another girl track, slow as well. No idea who but I like it. Better than number 6 too.

This is Massive Attack with Protection. Singer is Tracy Thorn from Everything but the Girl

08. Slow instrumental with lots of keyboards. Gets on my nerves. The only track so far that doesn’t do it for me.

This is Fantino by Sebastien Tellier ( you might know it from the Lost in Translation Soundtrack)

09. Another early Japan soundalike. Really no idea as to who. I think that period must have passed me by.

This is Gary Numan with Aircrash Bureau

10. Breathy vocals and a slow, longing song. My mixer likes the slow ones. And she’s right of course. Very good one this.

This is the glorious Goldfrapp with Drew, from the wonderful Tales of Us.

Glad you enjoyed it for the most part and I hope you're feeling better soon!

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 16 Dec 2014, 06:41

Thank you!

I guess I should've gotten Massive Attack and Newman :oops:

The others, while familiar with the names, I had never heard before.

That's what the Mix Club is for, isn't it?

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 16 Dec 2014, 08:12

Minnie the Minx wrote:01. Terrific start. This is Jah Wobble, no doubt. Which BCB’er knows I like my Dub, I wonder. Great great track.

Indeed, Becoming More Like God

That whole album is superb. Easily the best thing I've heard by him. Having the best drummer in the world (Jaki Liebezeit) and the best bass player in the world helps, but the songs are all good an dthe rest of the musicians are superb. I'm going to stick it on again right now. "I am Stepney, I am Peru, I am divine and so are you." 8-)

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 13 Jan 2015, 00:27

Minnie the Minx wrote:The MOST profuse apologies to the sender of my disc. I have absolutely no excuses. We had a busy busy month but really, the length of time is not acceptable. I am so sorry.

Onto the disc!

1. Nice sort of Philip Glassy morphs into The Knife this one - piano, swirly build up, yep, my kind of thing, but I'm very annoyed because I think I should know who it is AND I DON"T!!! :x
2. Hmm, nice, hip hoppy thing, breathy, woman sounds like she might be Norwegian - nice enough
3.CHICKS ON FUCKING SPEED MAN - how great was / is that bass? Oh lovely
4.Some lovely ole' hip hop that I can't put a name to but is making me smiiiiiile sat here.
5.Le Tigreeeeeee! This is how I often imagine my band sounding (when I'm drunk)... love love love. How much does this sound like Daft Punk et al?
6.Fucking wonderful. I mean just wonderful. And I would put money on this being the Flying Lizards but I think if it was, I would know who it was...
7. A bit less keen on this though I like the music the vocals, while very clear and lovely are somewhat earnest.
8. I am loving the way this disc is going. This is poppy, vaguely sinister, CATCHY AS FUCK!
9. Trying to pin a name on the woman singing this is going to drive me MAD AS A BAT so I am going to stop. I have now played it three times. It's great. It's just so, so great. The bass intro is the tits.
10.Not SO keen on this - though I generally empathise with the way it's going - but the vocals stray a little too much into oTT for my liking. (says me the Kate Bush obsessive)
11.Well now, this is absolutely gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous. Lovely female vocal, crazy arrangment, introspective lyrics, dare I say I can imagine Bowie writing this? Love this, can't wait to find out who it is!
12. Now this is one of those things that sounds like it could and should be eighties, but actually is retro eighties, but I am still no nearer knowing who it is. I quite like it though, though it doesn't really...go anywhere.
13.I am guessing this is modern - it's sort of got shitloads shoved in it. Eighties drums, stock aitken and waterman piano, Chic guitar, and I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but it's like a big eighties trifle and I wish it was just a pie.
14. It's late and I can't remember if this is Fever Ray or the Knife, but I am guessing it is one of the two. Am I right? I'm right aren't I. I fucking have this record somewhere. I should unpack.
15. Fucking hell! This is fucking GREAT! A jarring, unsettling little number - literally - I have got chills up my spine listening to this now - and I cannot place it for a minute. One second you get vaguely sucked in thinking it's kind of run of the mill, then the next minute something happens that's like a stun gun. Love it ! Can't wait to find out who this is either! Oh...and I fucking LOVE a drop dead ending.

NOw then sender - I feel a double apology is in order as I for the most part LOVED THIS DISC. You clearly know what pushes my buttons and verily, they were pushed. I can not WAIT for the reveal. And you know what, you should wait a month, that would serve me bloody right.
Loved it. THANK YOU.

WHAT WAS ON THE DISC!!!!

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 19 Jan 2015, 17:37

Can I have my reveal please!!! I gotta go shopping for some of this stuff!

Dr Markus wrote:

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 19 Jan 2015, 21:34

Sgt. Pepper still owes me a reveal from several months back, Min.

I gave up hope.

Return to “Mix Club”