October 2014 Reviews

Exchange mix CDs with each other.
T. Willy Rye
Spinner of crazy fuck-ass shit

October 2014 Reviews

Postby T. Willy Rye » 18 Oct 2014, 22:28

Received this gem of a comp and downloaded from sendspace. Here I go...

Track 1 is a throwaway lounge jazz thing that I really kind of love. Not sure I'll respect myself in the morning, but some things are just flat out fun. Confused by the line Make Straight the Way of the Lord; she doesn't really mean it-there's plenty of sin in this song.

Track 2 More lord language in a groovy world. I want a super cool God to lay abundance on me. Gone (I mean really gone) in 52 seconds.

Track 3 Great jazz guitar organ combo; the horns are there too should you want them, but it's all about the organ and guitar working some things out. It's impossible for me not to like this.

Track 4 A doo wop thingy. Cute and fun enough. Can't see myself coming back to this too often, but definitely wouldn't turn it off either. The sax solo is quite nice!

Track 5 I've heard this one before. The innocent sounding doo wop singers deliver a “shocking” chorus. Don't Fuck Around with Love. I like a little doo wop, but maybe not as much as my mixer.

Track 6 Abrupt transition to some groovy keyboard sounds and then the funk is delivered in a healthy slab of late 70s gold. The Undisputed Truth's testament to the beauty of cunnilingus: “Poontang” Mixer, you are in the dangerous territory of mixing the profane with the sacred: how very sacrelicious of you!

Track 7 More profanity! This one is in service of some fine guttural R&B. Refreshingly filthy.

Track 8 More groovy jazz. In the break the single line uttered Sorry About That. I don't think I know this. Great percussion and I like the restrained use of the flute here. Maybe my favorite so far.

Track 9 is also fantastic. Sounds like Sam and Dave, I guess. Love it!

Track 10 Straight up roll at this point. I absolutely love this! I had to look it up: Debra Johnson with To Get Love, You've Got to Bring Love. That swagger is what I live for. Thank you so much for bringing it to my attention.”If you want me like you say, here's all you've got to do...” the line is delivered with such attitude.

Track 11 Another classic. I must know this or is it because that little riff seems so omnipresent in pop music? Another very strong track. Every simple thing works so beautifully in this production. Those horns are pure joy!

Track 12 is also a solid selection. Those repeating chords form the framework for a really dynamic band to go off. The drums are magnificent and the way the piano breaks off from the motif and interacts with the rhythm section is pretty thrilling.

Track 13 Nice little Caribbean ditty or perhaps Caribbean influenced West African track. Simple yet nifty.

Track 14 is doing less for me. I guess after the last run, there had to be a little let down. I'm not so enamored of the 70s country easy listening type rock thing. Sorry.

Track 15 Easy listening Purple Haze with scatting and a flute. Yuck!

Track 16 feels like if the Beach Boys worked with Phil Spector. There's probably a group out there that fits this description, but my 60s pop knowledge is failing me. I like this

Track 17 Another lounge track to take us out. This is even grooovier than the first. More organ- thank you!

A fantastic compilation! Thank you dear mixer!

The Fish
Beer Battered

Re: October 2014 Reviews

Postby The Fish » 19 Oct 2014, 09:42

Mix this month from Nick Danger, who I reckon has pretty similar tastes to me, so I was looking forward to this one and wasn't disappointed.

1) I’m sure there are those on BCB who would deny Little Feat, but you only have to look at the current 60s cup voting to see most of them have ears of cloth. This is terrific of course. Sounds like a radio boot. Is this from the Electrif Lycanthrope sessions. I notice that it’s getting an “official” release. I actually saw them with Lowell but that was 40 years ago !! (actually 39 years to the day almost)
2) Similarly I love Boz, but apart from Yves and myself he seems to fall on a lot of BCB deaf ears.
3) A bit “good ol’ girl” rather than boy. I wondered if this was latter day Feat, more than a hint of Shaun Murphy in the vocals. Not bad but the kind of vocals I often struggle with.
4-6) Not lumping these together out of laziness but these three tracks do kind of run together (in a good way). I’m a sucker for this sound anyway, sort of latter day bluegrass heavy on the banjo and fiddle. Dillards, Old And In The Way, all that sort of stuff. Bring it all on. A real triple whammy. Great stuff.
7) You’re a man on a mission aren’t you ? Actually I don’t mind Pitney although I suppose I’ve only heard this and the other hits. I suppose he’s one of those artists where their best known track doesn’t necessarily do them any favours. Tulsa is a bit overblown but there’s a voice there for sure. I may investigate further as all I have is the “duet” album with George Jones
8) Rock and Roll era mid tempo over strummed guitar. Is this Buddy Holly maybe ?
9) The dictum of eschewing “hat acts” is usually a good one to follow. There are of course two exceptions that prove the rule. Lyle and Dwight. I assume this is Dwight Yoakam who really is just about the best thing in country of recent times. If Merle is the last great hero of the previous generation, then Dwight is the current king still for me.
10) Not Dionne or Dusty, but a definite Bacharach vibe here. Should probably know the vocalist, not as pure as the aforementioned, but it works well on this song.
11) Sure I know this. Reminds me of the early Alison Krauss albums. Delightful .
12) Joshua fit The Battle of Jericho in a fairly traditional version. OK
13) Folk tune played fairly straight. This sounds like the sort of thing that was the “Mainstream” when the Greenwich scene hit, Kingston Trio, New Christy Minstrels etc both of course underrated as they definitely were a link in the chain. Probably someone else again but has that feel. Quite lovely.
14) I love the rawness of those early Lucinda Williams albums. I guess the eponymous Rough Trade album was the game changer and I don’t think she’s ever surpassed Car Wheels.
15) A voice that is so distinctive, that I’m sure I ought to know it. A weird dry parched but strangely engaging thing.
16) Dear sweet fucked up angel Townes. One of those songs that stops you in your tracks and time stand still. Probably wrong to celebrate anyone’s death but maybe his was some kind of blessing. He was in chronic poor health and his voice was shot (There are any amount of late cash in live recordings that are just too painful to hear) I would have hated to see him struggling to make a living. By all accounts one of life’s good guys and clearly very funny. Let’s remember him this way.
17) A series of segments with over the top radio DJ introducing appalling acts. I assume this is a spoof of sorts, probably from a comedy album. Certainly raised a smile on first listen. I would imagine some herbal assistance may help. I recall many years ago, with friends laughing myself stupid to Cheech and Chong and Firesign Theatre albums which somehow unstoned barely raised a smile
We're way past rhubarb

Nick Danger

Postby Nick Danger » 19 Oct 2014, 16:43

The Fish wrote:Mix this month from Nick Danger, who I reckon has pretty similar tastes to me, so I was looking forward to this one and wasn't disappointed.

I was happy to get you this month as it gave me a chance to use more country leaning stuff. I'm glad you liked most of it.

1) I’m sure there are those on BCB who would deny Little Feat, but you only have to look at the current 60s cup voting to see most of them have ears of cloth. This is terrific of course. Sounds like a radio boot. Is this from the Electrif Lycanthrope sessions. I notice that it’s getting an “official” release. I actually saw them with Lowell but that was 40 years ago !! (actually 39 years to the day almost)

I don't have the info handy but this is from a 1974 radio boot I think.

2) Similarly I love Boz, but apart from Yves and myself he seems to fall on a lot of BCB deaf ears.

This is Boz from a 1976 concert at the Roxy Theatre in Hollywood promoting the just released Silk Degrees album. The band is the an all-star band which would soon leave to form Toto. This particular song "This Time" is somewhat a mystery to me as I can't find it on any of his albums.

3) A bit “good ol’ girl” rather than boy. I wondered if this was latter day Feat, more than a hint of Shaun Murphy in the vocals. Not bad but the kind of vocals I often struggle with.

This is a current Nashville band called Sugarland. It's really mostly lead singer Jennifer Nettles and a backup band. That is a current trend in U.S. country music - a girl singer doing essentially a solo act behind a group name.

4-6) Not lumping these together out of laziness but these three tracks do kind of run together (in a good way). I’m a sucker for this sound anyway, sort of latter day bluegrass heavy on the banjo and fiddle. Dillards, Old And In The Way, all that sort of stuff. Bring it all on. A real triple whammy. Great stuff.

4. This is an all star band called the Piedmont Brothers Band (Richie Furay, Rick Roberts, Herb Pedersen, Gene Parsons, Jock Bartley, Buddy Cage) doing a side project. This song is written by Pedersen with him on lead.

5. This is Leon Russell doing the old Bill Monroe sawhorse Uncle Pen. It's from his 1970's concept album under the name of Hank Wilson.

6. Call The Captain - The Steep Canyon Rangers
The Rangers are a current Bluegrass band. I've only got one album "Lovin' Pretty Women" but I like it and I especially like this song.

7) You’re a man on a mission aren’t you ? Actually I don’t mind Pitney although I suppose I’ve only heard this and the other hits. I suppose he’s one of those artists where their best known track doesn’t necessarily do them any favours. Tulsa is a bit overblown but there’s a voice there for sure. I may investigate further as all I have is the “duet” album with George Jones

If you don't like overblown you probably won't like too much of Gene but he's always been a fav of mine. Unique and powerful to my ears.

8) Rock and Roll era mid tempo over strummed guitar. Is this Buddy Holly maybe ?

Your ear is spot on, as usual. It is Buddy and the Crickets with the simple track thay laid down before producer Norman Petty got his heavy handed overdubbing hands on it. It's from a box set. The undubbed versions of his songs are much better to me than what eventually came out on the albums.

9) The dictum of eschewing “hat acts” is usually a good one to follow. There are of course two exceptions that prove the rule. Lyle and Dwight. I assume this is Dwight Yoakam who really is just about the best thing in country of recent times. If Merle is the last great hero of the previous generation, then Dwight is the current king still for me.

This is, of course, Dwight from a live boot. I have been rediscovering him after reading your posts about him.

10) Not Dionne or Dusty, but a definite Bacharach vibe here. Should probably know the vocalist, not as pure as the aforementioned, but it works well on this song.

This is The Charmels. They were the Stax in-house staff girl background group used in a similar way to Darlene Love and the Blossoms for Phil Spector. They only got to record a handful of songs themselves. I really like this one a lot. The lead singer really sells it.

11) Sure I know this. Reminds me of the early Alison Krauss albums. Delightful .

This is unknown, underrated, and forgotten Tex Mex singer Tish Hinojosa. She recorded a lot of nice tracks in both Spanish and English. This one is called Taos To Tennessee written before her effort to go from her hometown of Taos, New Mexico to Nashville to become a country music singer. Nashville didn't welcome female Tex Mex singers in those days and she wasn't an exception.

12) Joshua fit The Battle of Jericho in a fairly traditional version. OK

This is folk blues singer Odetta. I've always liked this version a lot.

13) Folk tune played fairly straight. This sounds like the sort of thing that was the “Mainstream” when the Greenwich scene hit, Kingston Trio, New Christy Minstrels etc both of course underrated as they definitely were a link in the chain. Probably someone else again but has that feel. Quite lovely.

This is the Journeymen with U.S. folk standard 500 miles. This was John Phillips (Mamas and Papas) first band and the lead singer is Scott Mackenzie who had a U. S. hit with San Francisco/Be Sure To Wear Some Flowers In Your Hair. The third guy Dick Weissman on banjo is a top notch player.

14) I love the rawness of those early Lucinda Williams albums. I guess the eponymous Rough Trade album was the game changer and I don’t think she’s ever surpassed Car Wheels.

Lucinda from a mid 70's boot.

15) A voice that is so distinctive, that I’m sure I ought to know it. A weird dry parched but strangely engaging thing.

This is an all-girl Bluegrass band called the Be Good Tanyas. The song "Rain and Snow" is a Grateful Dead song I think. I agree that it's a very distinctive voice.

16) Dear sweet fucked up angel Townes. One of those songs that stops you in your tracks and time stand still. Probably wrong to celebrate anyone’s death but maybe his was some kind of blessing. He was in chronic poor health and his voice was shot (There are any amount of late cash in live recordings that are just too painful to hear) I would have hated to see him struggling to make a living. By all accounts one of life’s good guys and clearly very funny. Let’s remember him this way.

This is early TVZ from a college coffeehouse date when he still had all of his powers. This gig in front of a small crowd is the best thing I've heard of his.

17) A series of segments with over the top radio DJ introducing appalling acts. I assume this is a spoof of sorts, probably from a comedy album. Certainly raised a smile on first listen. I would imagine some herbal assistance may help. I recall many years ago, with friends laughing myself stupid to Cheech and Chong and Firesign Theatre albums which somehow unstoned barely raised a smile

This is a side comedy project of a band you probably know, the Statler Brothers (Flowers On The Wall). It's southern America country humor so I don't know how it would go over to the average Brit. Not that you're the average Brit. And you're right, high or drunk would probably help. I ended my last mix to Whodathunkit with a classical piece and this one with comedy so I guess it's going to be anything goes to finish up.

Tracklist-
1. Two Trains - LIttle Feat
2. This Time - Boz Scaggs
3. Down In Mississippi - Sugarland
4. Wait A Minute - The Piedmont Brothers Band
5. Uncle Pen - Leon Russell
6. Call The Captain - The Steep Canyon Rangers
7. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - Gene Pitney
8. Last Night - Buddy Holly and the Crickets
9. The Miner's Prayer - Dwight Yoakam
10. As Long As I've Got You - The Charmels
11. Taos To Tennessee - Tish Hinojosa
12. Joshua - Odetta
13. 500 Miles - The Journeymen
14. Ramblin' On My Mind - Lucinda Williams
15. Rain And Snow - The Be Good Tanyas
16. I'll Be There In The Morning - Townes Van Zandt
17. Comedy Radio Show - Lester Moran and his Cadillac Cowboys (The Statler Brothers)

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 19 Oct 2014, 17:55

Nick Danger wrote:[
Not that you're the average Brit.

I'll take that as a compliment :D It's probably true, I don't even own a single David Bowie album.

Thanks again, the only one I own but didn't spot (there's always one) was The Be Good Tanyas.
We're way past rhubarb

whodathunkit

Postby whodathunkit » 28 Oct 2014, 11:36

T. Willy Rye wrote:Received this gem of a comp and downloaded from sendspace. Here I go...

First off, sorry for the delay with this. Had a problem with my shoulder which made typing rather painful. A touch of oldmanitis. Things have now improved so on with the drivel...

Track 1 is a throwaway lounge jazz thing that I really kind of love. Not sure I'll respect myself in the morning, but some things are just flat out fun. Confused by the line Make Straight the Way of the Lord; she doesn't really mean it-there's plenty of sin in this song.

The Bethlehem Progressive Ensemble, no less, and "Call To Worship". From one of Giles Peterson' s many fine comps. This one was GP Digs America 2.

Track 2 More lord language in a groovy world. I want a super cool God to lay abundance on me. Gone (I mean really gone) in 52 seconds.

Pastor John Rydgren was a properly ordained minister of the American Lutheran Church. This was his take on the 23rd Psalm. More about the guy here- http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2005/07/pastor_john_ryd.html. For those times when your heads torn up and the world's a plastic mushroom.

Track 3 Great jazz guitar organ combo; the horns are there too should you want them, but it's all about the organ and guitar working some things out. It's impossible for me not to like this.

Well you fellers are always plugging the organ fiddlers on mixclub, so here's a British entry. Brian Auger and "In And Out" from the 1967 album Open.

Track 4 A doo wop thingy. Cute and fun enough. Can't see myself coming back to this too often, but definitely wouldn't turn it off either. The sax solo is quite nice!

The Commodores (no relation) and "Riding On A Train". Has to be one of the greasiest sax breaks ever.

Track 5 I've heard this one before. The innocent sounding doo wop singers deliver a “shocking” chorus. Don't Fuck Around with Love. I like a little doo wop, but maybe not as much as my mixer.

The start of a triptych of filth. Good advice from the Blenders.

Track 6 Abrupt transition to some groovy keyboard sounds and then the funk is delivered in a healthy slab of late 70s gold. The Undisputed Truth's testament to the beauty of cunnilingus: “Poontang” Mixer, you are in the dangerous territory of mixing the profane with the sacred: how very sacrelicious of you!

I've never believed that the Devil had all the best tunes but he certainly had more than his fair share :D .

Track 7 More profanity! This one is in service of some fine guttural R&B. Refreshingly filthy.

"Think Twice (Version X)" by Jackie Wilson and Lavern Baker. Some first-class cursing here.

Track 8 More groovy jazz. In the break the single line uttered Sorry About That. I don't think I know this. Great percussion and I like the restrained use of the flute here. Maybe my favorite so far.

"Sorry About That" - seemed appropriate after the last three.The Harold Johnson Sextet. This is Part 1 but you get the gist.

Track 9 is also fantastic. Sounds like Sam and Dave, I guess. Love it!

Singer, actor, pro-footballer and needlework enthusiast Roosevelt Grier with "Slow Drag" from 1967.

Track 10 Straight up roll at this point. I absolutely love this! I had to look it up: Debra Johnson with To Get Love, You've Got to Bring Love. That swagger is what I live for. Thank you so much for bringing it to my attention.”If you want me like you say, here's all you've got to do...” the line is delivered with such attitude.

From one of my favourite soul comps, Kent Records Masterpieces Of Modern Soul

Track 11 Another classic. I must know this or is it because that little riff seems so omnipresent in pop music? Another very strong track. Every simple thing works so beautifully in this production. Those horns are pure joy!

A big old UK Mod favourite - "But It's Alright" by JJ Jackson.

Track 12 is also a solid selection. Those repeating chords form the framework for a really dynamic band to go off. The drums are magnificent and the way the piano breaks off from the motif and interacts with the rhythm section is pretty thrilling.

Another Giles Peterson selection from GP In Brazil.. "Imprevisto" by Bossa Tres

Track 13 Nice little Caribbean ditty or perhaps Caribbean influenced West African track. Simple yet nifty.

I think "nice" rather undersells this one.Sierra Leone's SE Rogie and "Go Easy With Me". A real cheerer-upper.

Track 14 is doing less for me. I guess after the last run, there had to be a little let down. I'm not so enamored of the 70s country easy listening type rock thing. Sorry.

Not my thing either with some honourable exceptions. And Lowell George is certainly one of them. "20 Million Things To Do" from his solo album Thanks. I'll Eat It Here

Track 15 Easy listening Purple Haze with scatting and a flute. Yuck!

Gawd, first Lowell and now Dion gets the finger! :D

Track 16 feels like if the Beach Boys worked with Phil Spector. There's probably a group out there that fits this description, but my 60s pop knowledge is failing me. I like this

Bobby Fuller Four. Didn't know anything of theirs except the obvious one till I heard this. "Let Her Dance"

Track 17 Another lounge track to take us out. This is even grooovier than the first. More organ- thank you!

One of those tunes that we all know but the title escapes one. British organist/film composer Alan Haven and "Image". Utterly 60s

[quote="T Willy Rye"A fantastic compilation! Thank you dear mixer![/quote]

My pleasure. Listing Time.

1. "Call To Prayer" - Bethlehem Progressive Ensemble
2. "Hippy Version of the 23rd Psalm - Pastot John Rydgren
3. "In and Out" - Brian Auger Trinity
4. "Riding On A Train" - The Commodores
5. "Don't Fuck Around With Love" - The Blenders
6. "Poontang" - The Undisputed Truth
7. "Think Twice(Version X)" - Jackie Wilson/Lavern Baker
8. Sorry 'Bout That (Part 1)" - Harold Johnson Sextet
9. "Slow Drag" - Roosevelt Grier
10. "To Get Love You Gotta Bring Love" - Debra Johnson
11. "But It's Alright" - JJ Jackson
12. "Imprevisto" - Bossa Tres
13. "Go Easy With Me" - SE Rogie
14. "20 Million Things" - Lowell George
15. "Purple Haze" - Dion
16. "Let Her Dance" - Bobby Fuller Four
17. "Image" - Alan Haven

Nick Danger

Postby Nick Danger » 30 Oct 2014, 15:49

My mixer this month connected with my country/Americana tastes and delivered a very entertaining listen. I couldn't identify a single track and I'm really looking forward to the reveal.

Track 1 - As with several songs on the mix the voice is familiar but I can't quite call it up. I like the loping beat and the atmospheric instrumental touches. Sounds like a modern production. Good start.

Track 2 - Another distinctive voice, kind of a country/folk growl. I like this especially the guitar and organ, sounds modern. Another good one.

Track 3 - We're going more uptempo now with a guitar that's reminiscent of 50's rock and roll but still maintaining the country feel. Another distinctive voice. Good 'un.

Track 4 - Good change of pace here. I like the acoustic bluesy, swamp rock feel to this. This is something I would buy more of, a highlight of the mix.

Track 5 - This is in the same vein as the previous song. It doesn't appeal to me quite as much but it's definitely interesting. Dark lyrics, growly voice, and I like the way the two acoustic guitars play off of each other.

Track 6 - This is a female voice I should know. It sounds like Lucinda with some fuzzy instrumentation
melding nicely with the voice.

Track 7 - Another similar female voice with a nice ballad. The instrumentation is spare and effective especially the tasteful organ. I like this.

Track 8 - Now we're talking or rather picking. Uptempo banjo, new bluegrass I guess. The lyrics are interesting and the whole thing is a driving group effort with several contributors.

Track 9 - An old fashioned country song, another distinctive voice. I like understated production like this which is a lot of the problem with modern U.S. country for me. Like most of this mix I'm really curious and looking forward the reveal.

Track 10 = This song and the one that follows are really the only low spots on the mix. Not bad but really didn't grab me.

Track 11 - Another country song, not bad, but not as good as the rest of the mix. It has been a bit of a grower on repeated listens as has the previous one. I thinks it's context too as the standout tracks on our mixes tend to diminish the more average ones.

Track 12 - Fiddle, dirty guitar, I like this. I'm almost positive I've heard this before but . . .

Track 13 - I like this. Another good country song with shimmering organ and a distinctive interesting voice.

Track 14 - Another highlight of the mix. It's a modern sounding country song without the overproduction. The driving drumbeat and organ, the voice, it all works.

Track 15 - Not as appealing as the previous song but it's another good modern country track. As with a lot of the above my mixer likes distinctive singing voices, as do I.

Thanks so much for this. This is a mix I can see myself playing for my friends as it holds together thematically better than some of the more eclectic ones. I know I'll be making new discoveries and purchases upon the reveal.

TG

Postby TG » 30 Oct 2014, 16:21

Okay, so I got an 18 song mix. I can see 7 titles and 13 artist names. I've tried to listen without looking but you can't not know what you know. At least not every time. So here goes...

1) A very cool 60s style spy movie soundtrack. Or something very like that. Punchy horns, bongos, strings and a swell big band arrangement. What they try and emulate in those Austin Powers movies. I like this.

2) This one I saw the name of but might have known it was Mickey Baker on my own. Another swell instrumental with (no surprise!) fine guitar work. The organ player stands out on this track as well. I need some sort of Mickey Baker comp in the collection.

3) A Sly & the Family Stone style riff but it's not them. This actually sounds a bit like that new guy (new to me anyway) Gary Clark, Jr. And this is one with no artist or title showing. I really like this a lot and this mix is shaping up as something very special. Whoever this is they have a hell of a band.

4) 70s soul along the lines of a Philly or Chicago production. A bit more sweet than straight up funky but I have time for that type of soul. This actually has a bit in common with someone like War but for the chick singers. Another fine track.

5) More 70s style soul that I've never heard before. This is why I love the Mix Club. Just when you think you've heard most everything a whole slew of new stuff gets presented to you. This one is a little more pedestrian than the previous tracks. More Sly influence on this one. Do all great soul records have tambourine? They might.

6) This sounds a bit like late era Temptations except that the back up singers are female. More deep crate soul and I'm really digging this mix.

7) This one (which is all about Louisiana) seems to be based on the NOLA standard Going Back Home To New Orleans. But it also sounds old enough that it may be the other way around. It's interesting to hear such a different version of a song I know so well. Very interested in what this is.

8) This one is a pretty straight up blues. Likely from Chicago. I remember seeing a song by Magic Sam on the mix and I think this may be it. I don't know much of his work but if this is him I should remedy that situation.

9) I have a track on a Slim Harpo comp that uses this same riff/arrangement. This is not Slim Harpo but it's a pretty fine use of the riff. The harmonica playing is pretty fine and I'll bet I know whoever is playing it. I'll say it again - this is a damn fine mix.

10) Seems like we've gone back to the soul side of the street. A fine Hammond B-3 intro and a bass line that any soul song would kill to have. This is another fine example of a song that I can't imagine having slipped by me for all of these years. A very nice horn arrangement.

11) A slow, slinky groove to start. This is the kind of song that AM DJs love - a long intro to talk over. Hmmm, maybe too long? This one is alright but I can't get with the vocalist. I hesitate to call him a singer because he mostly talk/sings the whole thing. It's not bad, really, but standing next to everything that came before it it is a bit weak. It did grow on me a bit but is the weak link here.

12) This is an odd track. It almost sounds like a J.J. Cale track in its relaxed groove. The way it just motors along as it does is infectious. I can't put my finger on when or where it might be from and as slight as it is it still holds up really well. I find myself with the hook stuck in my head. I'm really curious about what this is.

13) A bit of Hillbilly fiddle to start and a female singer doing a Texas Swang thang. Not sure what this is. The playing is fine, etc. but it never seems to connect with me. I can't tell you why. It sort of sounds like something you'd hear on A Prairie Home Companion.

14) This is weird. It puts me in mind of early Lennon solo. Not that it's Beatle-esque in the least. Quite the opposite. It's in the sparseness, the echo, the over the top drums. This is an odd song that isn't exactly my thing but I like it a lot.

15) Indie pop like, I don't know - Liz Phair or something? It's pretty cool.

16) This I like. Based around old school R&B licks like a 60s garage band might interpret them. It's more modern, I think, than that. Primitive enough to put across what they seem to be trying to do without being slaves to fashion (or genre or something). I love the guitar solo in the outro.

17) I think this is the first one I've heard before but I don't know where I might have heard it. More indie pop with a singer who quite likes Debbie Harry and a band who are decidedly not Blondie. More like Sonic Youth or something. Interesting but I probably wouldn't buy it.

18) It's Halloween tomorrow so I suppose this should end with a track about Halloween. I love that accordion and the group plays well together. Like the last one - I wouldn't probably buy this but wouldn't turn it off if it came on the radio. A nice ending to a really well thought out mix.

Thanks to this month's mixer. It seems you went out of your way to craft this for me. And even if you didn't it worked out that way. Looking forward to the reveal.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 31 Oct 2014, 13:06

Just to say - got my mix yesterday but no idea when I will get round to reviewing it. Hopefully sometime in the week.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 31 Oct 2014, 22:52

My mixer this month connected with my country/Americana tastes and delivered a very entertaining listen. I couldn't identify a single track and I'm really looking forward to the reveal.

Track 1 - As with several songs on the mix the voice is familiar but I can't quite call it up. I like the loping beat and the atmospheric instrumental touches. Sounds like a modern production. Good start.

My new Soul discovery of the year. This is Curtis Harding off his debut LP.

Track 2 - Another distinctive voice, kind of a country/folk growl. I like this especially the guitar and organ, sounds modern. Another good one.

Mark Langean’s growl coming from his new Phantom Radio.

Track 3 - We're going more uptempo now with a guitar that's reminiscent of 50's rock and roll but still maintaining the country feel. Another distinctive voice. Good 'un.

Another debutant Benjamin Brooker. Produced by one of the Alabama Shakes.

Track 4 - Good change of pace here. I like the acoustic bluesy, swamp rock feel to this. This is something I would buy more of, a highlight of the mix.

New Orleans native Brother Dege but also first time I heard him.

Track 5 - This is in the same vein as the previous song. It doesn't appeal to me quite as much but it's definitely interesting. Dark lyrics, growly voice, and I like the way the two acoustic guitars play off of each other.

Lincoln Durham’s 1st produced by Ray Wylie Hubbard.

Track 6 - This is a female voice I should know. It sounds like Lucinda with some fuzzy instrumentation
melding nicely with the voice.

Also a first from Jolie Holland.

Track 7 - Another similar female voice with a nice ballad. The instrumentation is spare and effective especially the tasteful organ. I like this.

These are the Delines, Willy Vlautin’s new band. Top album of the year for me.

Track 8 - Now we're talking or rather picking. Uptempo banjo, new bluegrass I guess. The lyrics are interesting and the whole thing is a driving group effort with several contributors.

Dark but funny Americana from Slim Cessna’s Auto Club.

Track 9 - An old fashioned country song, another distinctive voice. I like understated production like this which is a lot of the problem with modern U.S. country for me. Like most of this mix I'm really curious and looking forward the reveal.

Recent discovery of an older band. Sneaky Pete Kleinow’s last band before he passed away. They’re called Burrito Deluxe and they also have Walter Egan in the line up.

Track 10 = This song and the one that follows are really the only low spots on the mix. Not bad but really didn't grab me.

Out of the ordinary. This is Graham Parker from his country-ish album called Your Country.

Track 11 - Another country song, not bad, but not as good as the rest of the mix. It has been a bit of a grower on repeated listens as has the previous one. I thinks it's context too as the standout tracks on our mixes tend to diminish the more average ones.

Deadstring Brothers. To me they sound like a mix between Gram Parsons and Let it Bleed era Stones.

Track 12 - Fiddle, dirty guitar, I like this. I'm almost positive I've heard this before but . . .

This from yet another debut. Parker Millsap.

Track 13 - I like this. Another good country song with shimmering organ and a distinctive interesting voice.

1st album from Christopher Denny.

Track 14 - Another highlight of the mix. It's a modern sounding country song without the overproduction. The driving drumbeat and organ, the voice, it all works.

A classic. Green on Red’s Time ain’t nothing. Man I love that song.

Track 15 - Not as appealing as the previous song but it's another good modern country track. As with a lot of the above my mixer likes distinctive singing voices, as do I.

Sturgill Simpson from the album called Metamodern sounds in country music.

Thanks so much for this. This is a mix I can see myself playing for my friends as it holds together thematically better than some of the more eclectic ones. I know I'll be making new discoveries and purchases upon the reveal.

I hope (and think) you enjoyed it but it was my pleasure to compile these (mostly) new tracks and artists.

Curtis Harding – Next time
Mark Lanegan – Harvest home
Benjamin Booker – Violent shiver
Brother Dege – Hard row to hoe
Lincoln Durham – Drifting wood
Jolie Holland – Palm wine drunkard
Delines – I won’t mess up
Slim Cessna’s Auto Club – Cranston
Burrito Deluxe – Out of the wilderness
Graham Parker – Anything for a laugh
Deadstring Brothers – Lights go out
Parker Millsap – Truck stop gospel
Christopher Denny – Our kind of love
Green on Red – Time ain’t nothing
Sturgill Simpson – Long white line
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

T. Willy Rye

Postby T. Willy Rye » 01 Nov 2014, 00:50

TG wrote:Okay, so I got an 18 song mix. I can see 7 titles and 13 artist names. I've tried to listen without looking but you can't not know what you know. At least not every time. So here goes...

That approach Fish rolled out this time was too complicated. Sorry for the lack of mystery.

1) A very cool 60s style spy movie soundtrack. Or something very like that. Punchy horns, bongos, strings and a swell big band arrangement. What they try and emulate in those Austin Powers movies. I like this.

It is pretty cool, huh? Don’t know anything other than it came from a Soul Jazz comp. titled Inner City Beat: Detective Themes Spy Music, and Imaginary something or other. This is titled the Hell Raisers by Syd Dale.

2) This one I saw the name of but might have known it was Mickey Baker on my own. Another swell instrumental with (no surprise!) fine guitar work. The organ player stands out on this track as well. I need some sort of Mickey Baker comp in the collection.

I got this from a Vampi Soul comp called R&B Hipshakers Volume 2.

3) A Sly & the Family Stone style riff but it's not them. This actually sounds a bit like that new guy (new to me anyway) Gary Clark, Jr. And this is one with no artist or title showing. I really like this a lot and this mix is shaping up as something very special. Whoever this is they have a hell of a band.

Billy Preston from Encouraging Words. It prolly comes as no surprise that this one is called Right Now.

4) 70s soul along the lines of a Philly or Chicago production. A bit more sweet than straight up funky but I have time for that type of soul. This actually has a bit in common with someone like War but for the chick singers. Another fine track.

Maryland for this one. I ain’t sure thems ladies in the background there, but who cares when the shit is this soulful.

5) More 70s style soul that I've never heard before. This is why I love the Mix Club. Just when you think you've heard most everything a whole slew of new stuff gets presented to you. This one is a little more pedestrian than the previous tracks. More Sly influence on this one. Do all great soul records have tambourine? They might.

This comes from New Orleans. Tony Owens with Got A Get My Baby Back Home. Maybe a little on the repetitive side, but I like it. I'm gonna have to think on the tambourine quandary.

6) This sounds a bit like late era Temptations except that the back up singers are female. More deep crate soul and I'm really digging this mix.

Might as well stay in New Orleans- this is Eldrige Holmes with Where is Love.

7) This one (which is all about Louisiana) seems to be based on the NOLA standard Going Back Home To New Orleans. But it also sounds old enough that it may be the other way around. It's interesting to hear such a different version of a song I know so well. Very interested in what this is.

This one’s from 1952 so I don’t know. Percy Mayfield here.

8) This one is a pretty straight up blues. Likely from Chicago. I remember seeing a song by Magic Sam on the mix and I think this may be it. I don't know much of his work but if this is him I should remedy that situation.

It is indeed him. That voice, right? Every Night About This Time.

9) I have a track on a Slim Harpo comp that uses this same riff/arrangement. This is not Slim Harpo but it's a pretty fine use of the riff. The harmonica playing is pretty fine and I'll bet I know whoever is playing it.

I bet you know him too. That’s one Junior Wells with Cha Cha Cha in Blues.

I'll say it again - this is a damn fine mix.

Ah, shucks. :oops:

10) Seems like we've gone back to the soul side of the street. A fine Hammond B-3 intro and a bass line that any soul song would kill to have. This is another fine example of a song that I can't imagine having slipped by me for all of these years. A very nice horn arrangement.

It eluded you because it just came out a few months ago- Lee Fields with Just Can’t Win.

11) A slow, slinky groove to start. This is the kind of song that AM DJs love - a long intro to talk over. Hmmm, maybe too long? This one is alright but I can't get with the vocalist. I hesitate to call him a singer because he mostly talk/sings the whole thing. It's not bad, really, but standing next to everything that came before it it is a bit weak. It did grow on me a bit but is the weak link here.

Shoot- oh well. The run had to end. Latimore with Let’s Straighten it Out.

12) This is an odd track. It almost sounds like a J.J. Cale track in its relaxed groove. The way it just motors along as it does is infectious. I can't put my finger on when or where it might be from and as slight as it is it still holds up really well. I find myself with the hook stuck in my head. I'm really curious about what this is.

This is Thomas Jefferson Kaye with Collection Box from the Light in the Attic comp. Country Funk V. 2. I’ve been meaning to look further into his stuff.

13) A bit of Hillbilly fiddle to start and a female singer doing a Texas Swang thang. Not sure what this is. The playing is fine, etc. but it never seems to connect with me. I can't tell you why. It sort of sounds like something you'd hear on A Prairie Home Companion.

A Prairie Home Companion… fair enough. This is actually a Bay Area band called American Nomad. They play all kindsa places for free so maybe it’s not fair of me to push them on here. Sorry.

14) This is weird. It puts me in mind of early Lennon solo. Not that it's Beatle-esque in the least. Quite the opposite. It's in the sparseness, the echo, the over the top drums. This is an odd song that isn't exactly my thing but I like it a lot.

This is Jeff Tweedy with his son Spencer on drums- his most recent project, Tweedy with World Away.

15) Indie pop like, I don't know - Liz Phair or something? It's pretty cool.

Australian Courtney Barnett with History Eraser. Listening to one of her songs is like watching an episode of that HBO show, Girls. It makes feel pretty old, but mostly I enjoy the experience.

16) This I like. Based around old school R&B licks like a 60s garage band might interpret them. It's more modern, I think, than that. Primitive enough to put across what they seem to be trying to do without being slaves to fashion (or genre or something). I love the guitar solo in the outro.

I found out about this band from one of those Garage/Psych threads on BCB. This is the Golden Dawn with Starvation

17) I think this is the first one I've heard before but I don't know where I might have heard it. More indie pop with a singer who quite likes Debbie Harry and a band who are decidedly not Blondie. More like Sonic Youth or something. Interesting but I probably wouldn't buy it.

Former Dum Dum Girl Katy Goodman with her other project La Sera.

18) It's Halloween tomorrow so I suppose this should end with a track about Halloween. I love that accordion and the group plays well together. Like the last one - I wouldn't probably buy this but wouldn't turn it off if it came on the radio. A nice ending to a really well thought out mix.

Wussy with Halloween

Thanks to this month's mixer. It seems you went out of your way to craft this for me. And even if you didn't it worked out that way. Looking forward to the reveal.

Shit Tom, you’re easy. Whoda’s the guy who makes me work.

Track Listing:

1. The Hell Raisers- Syd Dale
2. Steam Roller- Mickey Baker
3. Right Now- Billy Preston
4. Sleepwalking- The Summits
5. Got A Get My Baby Back Home- Tony Owens
6. Where is Love- Eldridge Holmes
7. Louisiana- Percy Mayfield
8. Every Night About This Time- Magic Sam
9. Cha Cha Cha in Blues- Junior Wells
10. Just Can’t Win- Lee Fields & the Expressions
11. Let’s Straighten it Out- Latimore
12. Collection Box- Thomas Jefferson Kaye
13. Roam and Travel- American Nomad
14. World Away- Tweedy
15. History Eraser- Courtney Barnett
16. Starvation- The Golden Dawn
17. Losing to the Dark- La Sera
18. Halloween- Wussy

TG

Postby TG » 05 Nov 2014, 17:46

T. Willy Rye wrote:Track Listing:

1. The Hell Raisers- Syd Dale
2. Steam Roller- Mickey Baker
3. Right Now- Billy Preston
4. Sleepwalking- The Summits
5. Got A Get My Baby Back Home- Tony Owens
6. Where is Love- Eldridge Holmes
7. Louisiana- Percy Mayfield
8. Every Night About This Time- Magic Sam
9. Cha Cha Cha in Blues- Junior Wells
10. Just Can’t Win- Lee Fields & the Expressions
11. Let’s Straighten it Out- Latimore
12. Collection Box- Thomas Jefferson Kaye
13. Roam and Travel- American Nomad
14. World Away- Tweedy
15. History Eraser- Courtney Barnett
16. Starvation- The Golden Dawn
17. Losing to the Dark- La Sera
18. Halloween- Wussy

Thanks for the swell mix! I need to check out more of that NOLA Soul. I've seen comps but never went beyond looking. And Lee Fields? He makes some great records. Have you heard his version of the Northwest standard Shot Down? It's really good.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

T. Willy Rye

Postby T. Willy Rye » 06 Nov 2014, 04:04

TG wrote:

Thanks for the swell mix! I need to check out more of that NOLA Soul. I've seen comps but never went beyond looking. And Lee Fields? He makes some great records. Have you heard his version of the Northwest standard Shot Down? It's really good.

Haven't heard Shot Down. Will have to check it out. Happy to send some NOLA comps your way. Have quite a few of them. The Soul Jazz ones are particularly good and there's some really strong stuff from Ace/Kent folks including the Gumbo Stew series.

TG

Postby TG » 06 Nov 2014, 14:35

T. Willy Rye wrote:
TG wrote:

Haven't heard Shot Down. Will have to check it out. Happy to send some NOLA comps your way. Have quite a few of them. The Soul Jazz ones are particularly good and there's some really strong stuff from Ace/Kent folks including the Gumbo Stew series.

I have the three volumes of Gumbo Stew. There is some weak material there but what's good (the instrumentals and the Mac Rebbanack stuff, etc.) are great. What else do have in that vein?

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 19 Nov 2014, 09:43

1. This sounds like it could be an early Jackson 5 tune. Nice opener it is too. Not much of a song under it but the performance is what you’re after here. Great vibe to it. Completely disposable bubblegum music, but what’s wrong with that?
Incidentally, the strings at the start of this sound identical to the strings on Dancing Queen by Abba.

2. Artie Garr. What a crazy dude that guy is. Imagine the talent he could have been if he hadn’t taken himself so seriously! This is nice enough. It’s certainly up there with Bright Eyes as one of his better solo efforts. Just on the bearable side of vomit. If I wasn’t in such a good mood, I’d hate this. But it’s a good Disney song.

3. Nice piece of jump here. I don’t recognize it, but I never do with anything like this. It’s just good listening and that’s all there is to it. I just got a Bear Family box of Nashville jump and it’s all fabulous. This is probably on it. Lovely.

4. Ah, Gene Vincent, red blue jeans and a pony tail. Glorious. I suggest Gene Vincent as a name for our son, but the wife was having none of it. Women, eh? Nice choice of song, btw.

5. Didn’t like this at all. Sounded like something teenagers listened to in the early 90s. Not horrible, but just containing nothing that pleases me.

6. I like how this one has all the styles of music all played at once. Must be the Funkadelic, or one of their apostles, I reckon. Good bit of blues, funk, reggae, pop and the future of space exploration, all held down by the tightest drummer. Cool sounds.

7. Oh shit, it’s fucking northern-european folk music. Some sort of Breton thing, by the sounds. I went to a Celtic folk festival in Brittany once, completely by accident. I was only about 9. All I remember was lots of fire. I can’t be doing with this at all, thanks all the same. And there’s no need for there to be nearly six minutes of it.

8. What a great guitar sound that is. You know from the off that you’re going to enjoy whatever else is on this from the second you hear the guitar. And then Howlin Wolf starts singing, and there’s a fucking great shaker on it too. Amazing drums too. Charlie Watts, isn’t it? There’s a massive hole where the bass is meant to be, and that fade out comes way too early (and is shit) but otherwise this is just great, isn’t it? Do the Do. All right.

9. Very McCartney-esque. More Wings than Beatles, though, sadly. It doesn’t really go anywhere as a song though, so it’s just tweaking the arrangement to eke out a longer song. If it had finished at 2 mins, which is where the song actually finished, then I wouldn’t have minded, but that 3-minute coda does nothing but bore me. Sorry.

10. Ah, this is nice. The last few years I’ve been drawn more and more to latin musi. I know next to nothing, although my big breakthrough came when I was playing with some bits and pieces in a music shop in Havana, and chatting with some local musicians, and one of them told me that the secret to Cuban music was that things happen in fives, whereas most western music happens in twos, fours, eights, and so one. The fives get broken into a two and a three, or a three and a two. But that’s what keeps the rhythms moving like that. Whatever it is, it’s infectious. This is lovely. Both fast and slow at the same time. I’d happily buy an album or two of whoever this is. Wonderful.

11. Oh no. This is so effected, how can I be expected to believe a word of it? I really don’t like this. The voice is familiar, but there’s something in this performance I don’t like. It sounds false. And that bass is horrible. Next.

12. Rockabilly. It’s got all the elements but it’s not shaking my room. It might just be the production that I don’t like, as nothing seems to go together. Slightly odd.

13. See, the sound on this is lovely. The production works. The previous two were probably fine if they *sounded* different, whereas this is nothing special as a song, but it *sounds* good. Lovely warm, woody tones. Fattest bass, smooth clarinets in harmony, lots of time and space. The singing isn’t really for me, and I’m not really bothered about listening to the story, but I like the sound of the record, which would make m play it enough to get to like his singing, his delivery, and, eventually, his story. Lovely.

14. Hey! Tramp! Nice! Who’s doing this? I only really know this as the Otis and Carla record. The backing is wonderfully loose, sounds like a Stax jam, but the vocal I can’t place. So laid-back! It’s cool. It’ll turn out to be the original, won’t it? I can’t remember who did it.

15. Pleasant strings on this. Otherwise it leaves me cold. Probably Scott Walker.

That was a cracking mix, I enjoyed that and will definitely be getting some of 6 and 10, and I’m intrigued by 13. Many thanks, and apologies for the long delay…

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 22 Nov 2014, 10:16

bhoywonder wrote:
This was from me. Glad you enjoyed some of it enough to describe it as a cracking mix despite seemingly rubbishing half of it. I always enjoy mixing for you ,seeiing just where you are going to embarrass yourself this time :D

1. This sounds like it could be an early Jackson 5 tune. Nice opener it is too. Not much of a song under it but the performance is what you’re after here. Great vibe to it. Completely disposable bubblegum music, but what’s wrong with that?
Incidentally, the strings at the start of this sound identical to the strings on Dancing Queen by Abba.

I got this on a mix from T Willy and loved it so much I went out and bought it, so fair game for me to include. Inez and Charlie Foxx and proof were it needed that most of their stuff is nothing like Mockingbird

2. Artie Garr. What a crazy dude that guy is. Imagine the talent he could have been if he hadn’t taken himself so seriously! This is nice enough. It’s certainly up there with Bright Eyes as one of his better solo efforts. Just on the bearable side of vomit. If I wasn’t in such a good mood, I’d hate this. But it’s a good Disney song.

See I really can't be doing with Bright Eyes which is much more deserving of the "disney" tag. This though is wonderful. If it sounds mawkish it ain't. It's a Randy Newman song and Randy don't do mawkish.

3. Nice piece of jump here. I don’t recognize it, but I never do with anything like this. It’s just good listening and that’s all there is to it. I just got a Bear Family box of Nashville jump and it’s all fabulous. This is probably on it. Lovely.

This guy was upstaged and all but forgotten through no fault of his own when Rice Miller stole his name. When anyone says Sonny Boy Williamson nowadays we tend to think of mark II but this is the original.

And yes I have that Bear Family box (and the companion Tennessee Jive) both terrififc

4. Ah, Gene Vincent, red blue jeans and a pony tail. Glorious. I suggest Gene Vincent as a name for our son, but the wife was having none of it. Women, eh? Nice choice of song, btw.

Gene Indeed

5. Didn’t like this at all. Sounded like something teenagers listened to in the early 90s. Not horrible, but just containing nothing that pleases me.

Well I wouldn't claim any greatness for this but it's a decent pop song which is uaually enough for me. The Waxwings

6. I like how this one has all the styles of music all played at once. Must be the Funkadelic, or one of their apostles, I reckon. Good bit of blues, funk, reggae, pop and the future of space exploration, all held down by the tightest drummer. Cool sounds.

Not P-Funk but N'Awlins style by the one man band of NO funk Eddie Bo

7. Oh shit, it’s fucking northern-european folk music. Some sort of Breton thing, by the sounds. I went to a Celtic folk festival in Brittany once, completely by accident. I was only about 9. All I remember was lots of fire. I can’t be doing with this at all, thanks all the same. And there’s no need for there to be nearly six minutes of it.

Wasn't it Elvis Costello who said if you don;t like June Tabor you don't like music. I rest my case.

8. What a great guitar sound that is. You know from the off that you’re going to enjoy whatever else is on this from the second you hear the guitar. And then Howlin Wolf starts singing, and there’s a fucking great shaker on it too. Amazing drums too. Charlie Watts, isn’t it? There’s a massive hole where the bass is meant to be, and that fade out comes way too early (and is shit) but otherwise this is just great, isn’t it? Do the Do. All right.

Wolf from the London Sessions. Clapton, Wyman and Winwood are the rest of the band. Listening to this you do hear a kind of sound that you can trace back to all the Mayall offshoots. It can soun generic at times, but those guys could play for sure. Makes you realise though just how out there some of Sumlin's playing was.

9. Very McCartney-esque. More Wings than Beatles, though, sadly. It doesn’t really go anywhere as a song though, so it’s just tweaking the arrangement to eke out a longer song. If it had finished at 2 mins, which is where the song actually finished, then I wouldn’t have minded, but that 3-minute coda does nothing but bore me. Sorry.

Death Cab For Cutie is the band who owe you an apology for exceeding your attention span.

10. Ah, this is nice. The last few years I’ve been drawn more and more to latin musi. I know next to nothing, although my big breakthrough came when I was playing with some bits and pieces in a music shop in Havana, and chatting with some local musicians, and one of them told me that the secret to Cuban music was that things happen in fives, whereas most western music happens in twos, fours, eights, and so one. The fives get broken into a two and a three, or a three and a two. But that’s what keeps the rhythms moving like that. Whatever it is, it’s infectious. This is lovely. Both fast and slow at the same time. I’d happily buy an album or two of whoever this is. Wonderful.

Well one of the must haves in this field is of course Getz/Gilberto with The Girl From Ipanema, Corcovado etc. They did a lesser know Volume 2 and reunited some while later for this album The Best of Two Worlds. Don't know the female singer but it's not Astrud this time round.

11. Oh no. This is so effected, how can I be expected to believe a word of it? I really don’t like this. The voice is familiar, but there’s something in this performance I don’t like. It sounds false. And that bass is horrible. Next.

James (not John) Grant

12. Rockabilly. It’s got all the elements but it’s not shaking my room. It might just be the production that I don’t like, as nothing seems to go together. Slightly odd.

From a rockabilly comp - Joe Clay

13. See, the sound on this is lovely. The production works. The previous two were probably fine if they *sounded* different, whereas this is nothing special as a song, but it *sounds* good. Lovely warm, woody tones. Fattest bass, smooth clarinets in harmony, lots of time and space. The singing isn’t really for me, and I’m not really bothered about listening to the story, but I like the sound of the record, which would make m play it enough to get to like his singing, his delivery, and, eventually, his story. Lovely.

I've stated elsewhere that this is my album of the year by some distance. Given that Joe Henry seems to produce as much as record these days, he ought to know what he's doing on the production side. He's put together a great run of recent albums. If you could get past the voice thing somehow you'd have real treats in store.

14. Hey! Tramp! Nice! Who’s doing this? I only really know this as the Otis and Carla record. The backing is wonderfully loose, sounds like a Stax jam, but the vocal I can’t place. So laid-back! It’s cool. It’ll turn out to be the original, won’t it? I can’t remember who did it.

It is indeed the original - Lowell Fulson

15. Pleasant strings on this. Otherwise it leaves me cold. Probably Scott Walker.

John Hartford, best remembered as the writer of Gentle On My Mind

That was a cracking mix, I enjoyed that and will definitely be getting some of 6 and 10, and I’m intrigued by 13. Many thanks, and apologies for the long delay…

Glad there were some big hitters to cover up for the ones you didn't like and the overall view was on the favourable side.

1. Inez & Charlie Foxx - (1-2-3-4-5-6-7) Count The Days
2. Art Garfunkel - Old Man
3. Sonny Boy Williamson I - Polly Put Your Kettle On
4. Gene Vincent - Red Blue Jeans And A Ponytail
5. The Waxwings - Clouded Over
6. Eddie Bo - The Rubber Band
7. June Tabor - Le Vingt Cinqieme Do Mois D'Octobre
8. Howlin' Wolf - Do The Do
9. Death Cab For Cutie - Different Names For The Same Thing
10. Stan Getz/Joao Gilberto - Izaura
11. Janes Grant - All Her Saturdays
12. Joe Clay - Sixteen Chicks
13. Joe Henry - Alice
14. Lowell Fulson - Tramp
15. John Hartford - The Eve of Parting

We're way past rhubarb

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 24 Nov 2014, 14:03

The Fish wrote:
This was from me. Glad you enjoyed some of it enough to describe it as a cracking mix despite seemingly rubbishing half of it.

To expand on this, what I enjoy most with mix club is hearing what other people like, and listening to things that ordinarily wouldn’t cross my path. I don’t need to *like* it to enjoy listening to it. I’m endlessly fascinated by the things people like, and the reasons why. This includes learning about why it is that I don’t like certain things. It says a fair amount about my own tastes. Plus, when you send me a disc, I get a good laugh at some of the shit you think is worth sharing ;-)

The Fish wrote:
bhoywonder wrote:1. This sounds like it could be an early Jackson 5 tune. Nice opener it is too. Not much of a song under it but the performance is what you’re after here. Great vibe to it. Completely disposable bubblegum music, but what’s wrong with that?

I got this on a mix from T Willy and loved it so much I went out and bought it, so fair game for me to include. Inez and Charlie Foxx and proof were it needed that most of their stuff is nothing like Mockingbird

Interesting. I have a track by them called Vaya Con Dios/Fellows In Vietnam, which I absolutely love. Pretty sure I have a great Christmas record by them too. Will have to investigate further.

The Fish wrote:
bhoywonder wrote:2. Artie Garr. What a crazy dude that guy is. Imagine the talent he could have been if he hadn’t taken himself so seriously! This is nice enough. It’s certainly up there with Bright Eyes as one of his better solo efforts. Just on the bearable side of vomit. If I wasn’t in such a good mood, I’d hate this. But it’s a good Disney song.

See I really can't be doing with Bright Eyes which is much more deserving of the "disney" tag. This though is wonderful. If it sounds mawkish it ain't. It's a Randy Newman song and Randy don't do mawkish.

I fucking hate Randy Newman

The Fish wrote:
bhoywonder wrote:7. Oh shit, it’s fucking northern-european folk music. Some sort of Breton thing, by the sounds. I went to a Celtic folk festival in Brittany once, completely by accident. I was only about 9. All I remember was lots of fire. I can’t be doing with this at all, thanks all the same. And there’s no need for there to be nearly six minutes of it.

Wasn't it Elvis Costello who said if you don;t like June Tabor you don't like music. I rest my case.

I fucking hate Elvis Costello

The Fish wrote:
bhoywonder wrote:9. Very McCartney-esque. More Wings than Beatles, though, sadly. It doesn’t really go anywhere as a song though, so it’s just tweaking the arrangement to eke out a longer song. If it had finished at 2 mins, which is where the song actually finished, then I wouldn’t have minded, but that 3-minute coda does nothing but bore me. Sorry.

Death Cab For Cutie is the band who owe you an apology for exceeding your attention span.

It’s nothing to do with my attention span, it’s to do with them trying to make a three-course meal out of a sausage. It’s a pet hate of mine, when people don’t know that a song is finished. Keep it lean, keep it interesting. A sausage is a good thing that is only ruined by being sliced up and stretched out over an evening.

The Fish wrote:
Well one of the must haves in this field is of course Getz/Gilberto with The Girl From Ipanema, Corcovado etc. They did a lesser know Volume 2 and reunited some while later for this album The Best of Two Worlds. Don't know the female singer but it's not Astrud this time round.

Thanks for the tip. I’m very much flying blind in the latin quarter, so all tips gratefully received!

The Fish wrote:
bhoywonder wrote:13. See, the sound on this is lovely. The production works. The previous two were probably fine if they *sounded* different, whereas this is nothing special as a song, but it *sounds* good. Lovely warm, woody tones. Fattest bass, smooth clarinets in harmony, lots of time and space. The singing isn’t really for me, and I’m not really bothered about listening to the story, but I like the sound of the record, which would make m play it enough to get to like his singing, his delivery, and, eventually, his story. Lovely.

I've stated elsewhere that this is my album of the year by some distance. Given that Joe Henry seems to produce as much as record these days, he ought to know what he's doing on the production side. He's put together a great run of recent albums. If you could get past the voice thing somehow you'd have real treats in store.

Great, I’ll investigate further.

Thanks again!

whodathunkit

Postby whodathunkit » 24 Nov 2014, 15:23

So then:

1. Starts with Queen. I like Queen. They're like a good Carry On film, a nice cup of tea and a slice of cake- what's not to like? Not much real sustenance but a little bit of flash never hurt anyone. "Take My Breath Away" - something like that.
2. Lovely strings to open this and a beautiful arrangement throughout. Lightweight song and vocals but all very listenable.
3. Nice version of "John Henry". Old school I think. Someone like Josh White with that very clear diction.
4. Now. here's an old friend - Mary Gautier and "I Drink". Have a couple of her albums and I love her stuff. She can write them real sad without descending into bathos.
5. Afraid this one didn't raise much interest. Rather funereal countryish ballad with not much tune. Let's move on.
6. Jon Grant and "Silver Platter Club". Still listening to and enjoying the QOC album a couple of years on. Wish I could say the same for the follow-up.
7. Well, after starting with Queen, my mixer moves on to another BCB bete noire - Joan Baez. Actually this is a not half bad anthem of the workers with a big old chorus behind to soak up the operatic overtones of her vocals that so annoy many of us.
8. Sweet little gentle indie track with a big finish. Not much to say but I liked it. What do ya want? Lester Bangs.
9. The mix livelies up now with some sneery vocals and a terrific insistent shuffling riff. Another good 'un.
10. Back with the folkey-blues stuff of track 3 and one of the million versions of "How Long". Not the best (that would be Skip James) but good enough. I'm guessing someone recent (if not white).
11. "Sometimes I feel old". Tell me about it. Ramshackle white-boy blues stuff. Nothing wrong with that.
12. Superb mambo version of "Istanbul not etc". Bloody marvellous. Brought a smile to the lips and a twitch to the arse.
13. The groove continues. Little bit of disco. Wouldn't want another but very enjoyable.
14. Up to this point, I was enjoying this mix but I needed a big one. Something new to me and very very good. And here it is. Proving the point that all these mixes should be given at least three plays, this passed me by the first couple of times. Sad stretched-out cold strings and chiming guitar with vocals from beyond the ether. A really goose-bumper. Many thanks. Tell me more.
15. A wierd closer. Could be a theremin but more likely a saw being bowed. Oddly familiar and a satisfying end to a good mix.

There you go. Only one bummer and a couple of monsters. Despite the catatonic pace at which mix club seems to be going nowadays I'm still finding it a worthwhile exercise. Should be an interesting reveal.

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 01 Dec 2014, 09:13

whodathunkit wrote:So then:

1. Starts with Queen. I like Queen. They're like a good Carry On film, a nice cup of tea and a slice of cake- what's not to like? Not much real sustenance but a little bit of flash never hurt anyone. "Take My Breath Away" - something like that.

Ha! They are a bit like a Carry On. Better production values – Pixar? This could be in Up, or one of those films, I reckon.

whodathunkit wrote:2. Lovely strings to open this and a beautiful arrangement throughout. Lightweight song and vocals but all very listenable.

Lightweight feels an odd description, but I guess it’s just a love song, right? “When the fever hits on your forehead, and trusive mice chew up your bed, and you call on God and God is dead, love comes to you”. Bonnie Prince Billy. Funny guy.

whodathunkit wrote:3. Nice version of "John Henry". Old school I think. Someone like Josh White with that very clear diction.

Josh White indeed.

whodathunkit wrote:4. Now. here's an old friend - Mary Gautier and "I Drink". Have a couple of her albums and I love her stuff. She can write them real sad without descending into bathos.

Brutal, really, isn’t she? Poor girl…

whodathunkit wrote:5. Afraid this one didn't raise much interest. Rather funereal countryish ballad with not much tune. Let's move on.

This is Memphis rockers Reigning Sound, the only one of theirs I like, as it goes.

whodathunkit wrote:7. Well, after starting with Queen, my mixer moves on to another BCB bete noire - Joan Baez. Actually this is a not half bad anthem of the workers with a big old chorus behind to soak up the operatic overtones of her vocals that so annoy many of us.

And this is probably about the only one of hers I like! Surprising, isn’t it? I know it from the Life Aquatic With Steve Zizou soundtrack, which is mostly excellent.

whodathunkit wrote:8. Sweet little gentle indie track with a big finish. Not much to say but I liked it. What do ya want? Lester Bangs.

The Kingsbury Manx, from North Carolina. Or South Carolina. Or somewhere like that. It’s the big finish I like about this. Feels like it’s done everything it has to do, but then does something unexpected and new. A neat trick.

whodathunkit wrote:9. The mix livelies up now with some sneery vocals and a terrific insistent shuffling riff. Another good 'un.

Radiohead, with a live performance of Morning Mr Magpie, which is on King of Limbs, which is a very good record, as it happens. I love these live versions of their stuff, which come from From The Basement, if you know it. Or if you don’t.

whodathunkit wrote:10. Back with the folkey-blues stuff of track 3 and one of the million versions of "How Long". Not the best (that would be Skip James) but good enough. I'm guessing someone recent (if not white).

Half right. It’s Dave van Ronk with Hesitation Blues, which may or may not have been a WC Handy song. Probably not, really. I quite like this version, even if I don’t really like van Ronk. Which I don’t.

whodathunkit wrote:11. "Sometimes I feel old". Tell me about it. Ramshackle white-boy blues stuff. Nothing wrong with that.

This is a cover of a Junior Kimbrough song called Done Got Old, by the Heartless Bastards (great name, good band). I love the words to this.

whodathunkit wrote:12. Superb mambo version of "Istanbul not etc". Bloody marvellous. Brought a smile to the lips and a twitch to the arse.

These are called Ska Cubano. They mix Cuban music with ska, would you believe. They’re amazing to see live, impossible not to have a blast. Good, isn’t it?

whodathunkit wrote:13. The groove continues. Little bit of disco. Wouldn't want another but very enjoyable.

Ha! Quite. But every now and then, and this is a fine example. They’re called the Notations and come from Chicago. Other than that, you’re on your own!

whodathunkit wrote:14. Up to this point, I was enjoying this mix but I needed a big one. Something new to me and very very good. And here it is. Proving the point that all these mixes should be given at least three plays, this passed me by the first couple of times. Sad stretched-out cold strings and chiming guitar with vocals from beyond the ether. A really goose-bumper. Many thanks. Tell me more.

Sigur Ros – Andvari, from their 2005 album Takk. Now, some people rave about this band, like they’ve discovered the new sound. And they are good. But I only like them in small doses. Live they can (could?) be incredible one night, and sound like a slowdive tribute act the next. And their albums tend to wash over me, albeit in a nice way, but taken out of context, most of their songs tend to be pretty beautiful, and they remind me of the arctic, which is nice, as you get great sunsets there. Glad you like it.

whodathunkit wrote:15. A wierd closer. Could be a theremin but more likely a saw being bowed. Oddly familiar and a satisfying end to a good mix.

Saw is right. And familiar is almost certainly also right. This is the theme to One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest. I’ve put this on a number of mixes before, as it has a lovely closing quality, which is, of course, the reason they got an expert like Jack Nitzsche to make it.

whodathunkit wrote:There you go. Only one bummer and a couple of monsters. Despite the catatonic pace at which mix club seems to be going nowadays I'm still finding it a worthwhile exercise. Should be an interesting reveal.

Glad you enjoyed it! And do shout if you need further enlightenment.

1. Queen –Take My Breath Away
2. Bonnie Prince Billy – Love Comes to Me
3. Josh White – John Henry
4. Mary Gautier – I Drink
5. Reigning Sound – If You Can't Give Me Everything
6. John Grant – Silver Platter Club
7. Joan Baez - Here's To You
8. The Kingsbury Manx – I0008
9. Radiohead – Morning Mr. Magpie (live From The Basement)
10. Dave van Ronk – Hesitation Blues
11. Heartless Bastards – Done Got Old
12. Ska Cubano – Istanbul (Not Constantinople)
13. Sigur Rós – Andvari
14. Jack Nitzsche – One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest (Closing Theme)

Duncan

Postby Duncan » 04 Dec 2014, 14:34

Apologetic preamble:

Sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry.

1. Straight in with the good stuff. Joyous, feel good, cool jazz. The gospely hollerin' toward the end sealed the deal.

2. This is the Shangri-Las, yes? I haven't heard this in ages, and it's a lot groovier than I remember. Check out the sax and organ vamp. Mary sounds great, as usual. Fab stuff.

3. Smooth instrumental. I particularly like the piano tickling. Clearly a tight band full of great musicians but it's maybe just a wee bit dated and backgroundy for my tastes.

4. Another instrumental but this one is a bit more springy and fun. I challenge anyone to sit still to this. I love the zippy guitar sound.

5. I'm sucker for this sort of latin percussion racket. Obviously there's not really any kind of song in there but that's really not important when everyone's having such a good time.

6. Crackly good-time jazz from the archives. No idea who this is, but it's jaunty stuff. The guitar is unexpected and piano is playful and warm. I like.

7. Great bluesy piano workout. I suppose you could say that it's a bit generic, but it's strong enough and short enough to for that not to be a big problem.

8. Bouncy r&b. Love the shuffley drum rhythms and plinky-plonky piano. Vocals aren't too shabby either.

9. This is an instrumental cover of something, no? Either that or I own this and can't place it. There's definitely something familiar about it. Something that I'm frustratingly close to putting a name on, but it looks like i'm going to fail. Please put me out of my misery. Anyway, whatever it is, I think it's brill. It has a very laid-back groove, afro-beaty rhythms and some incredible horn blowing toward the end.

10. Ah, this one I do know. It's Shorty Long and Devil With The Dress. A very underrated Motowner. This is so much better than the more famous Mitch Ryder cover.

11. I'm not sure about this one. I'm certainly a big fan of talented ivory tinkling but there's something a bit too vaudeville about this. I'm curious to find out what it is though.

12. I like this one. There's a cool, laid-back vibe, and it has a sort of amateurish charm, although it's probably anything but. I also like how the two vocalists playfully bump off of each other. I suppose one criticism is that it's about two minutes too long, but that's not a dealbreaker.

13. Blimey. A White Stripes cover by some modern soulstress. I'm guessing someone like Joss Stone. It's all very professional and glossy but it's actually pretty decent. I'm not about to go out and buy it, but i did enjoy it.

14. I love this. Top knob-twiddlin' muzak. This could also possibly be a cover, but if it is then it's lost in the fuzz. I dig how wiggy it gets at the end.

15. A biting, funky guitar session. The drummer sounds like he's having a sweaty time. Definitely my kind of thing, cheers.

So thanks a bunch. Lot's to love and certainly nothing that didn't have something good going for it. It worked really well as a mix and sucked straight in to my musical centre of gravity. I'm definitely looking forward to following up on a few of these tracks. Cheers.

Apologetic postscript:

Sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry.
Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb...

TG

Postby TG » 04 Dec 2014, 16:38

Sgt Pepper wrote:
I'd forgotten how many instrumentals I'd included here. I'm not sure why I did? Anyway, here is what you heard -

1. Straight in with the good stuff. Joyous, feel good, cool jazz. The gospely hollerin' toward the end sealed the deal.

Olde Wine by Alvin "Red" Tyler and the A.F.O. All Stars. This came from a series of CD comps of the A.F.O. label out of New Orleans. As nearly as I can tell the gospel/Mardi Gras Indian chant segment must have been the B-Side of the single. Here it's presented as it was recorded. I love this track.

2. This is the Shangri-Las, yes? I haven't heard this in ages, and it's a lot groovier than I remember. Check out the sax and organ vamp. Mary sounds great, as usual. Fab stuff.

One of the best Motown sounding singles not made at Motown. One of my faves by the Shangri-Las.

3. Smooth instrumental. I particularly like the piano tickling. Clearly a tight band full of great musicians but it's maybe just a wee bit dated and backgroundy for my tastes.

I get what you're saying about this being kind of "backgroundy". I'm not sure how often I would pull this out to play at a party or whatever. It moves along nicely and they are fine musicians. It's Midnight in Memphis by J.J. Cale.

4. Another instrumental but this one is a bit more springy and fun. I challenge anyone to sit still to this. I love the zippy guitar sound.

This the one and only Bo Diddley from the Chess Box of his work. It was apparently not only unreleased at the time but also never properly titled. As such, you were listening to Untitled Instrumental.

5. I'm sucker for this sort of latin percussion racket. Obviously there's not really any kind of song in there but that's really not important when everyone's having such a good time.

Shrimp and Gumbo by Fats Domino's main man Dave Bartholomew. While I'm rarely far from a New Orleans phase I didn't realize or remember how many Crescent City tunes I'd put on this mix.

6. Crackly good-time jazz from the archives. No idea who this is, but it's jaunty stuff. The guitar is unexpected and piano is playful and warm. I like.

Andre Previn (who I only knew as the Musical Director of the Los Angeles Philharmonic) playing some pretty stellar jazz piano. No idea who the guitarist is but he can play!

7. Great bluesy piano workout. I suppose you could say that it's a bit generic, but it's strong enough and short enough to for that not to be a big problem.

Allen Toussaint (more NOLA funk!) from his very early solo LP on RCA from before he realized that writing lyrics could mean bigger hits. It's a most stellar bunch of New Orleans musicians who play together like they were born to.

8. Bouncy r&b. Love the shuffley drum rhythms and plinky-plonky piano. Vocals aren't too shabby either.

New Orleans (a shocker, I know) drummer Charles "Hungry" Williams taking a solo turn with So Worried.

9. This is an instrumental cover of something, no? Either that or I own this and can't place it. There's definitely something familiar about it. Something that I'm frustratingly close to putting a name on, but it looks like i'm going to fail. Please put me out of my misery. Anyway, whatever it is, I think it's brill. It has a very laid-back groove, afro-beaty rhythms and some incredible horn blowing toward the end.

I don't think it's a cover but really have no idea. It's called T.I.B.W.F. and is by DapTone Records' Budos Band. It's pretty groovy, no?

10. Ah, this one I do know. It's Shorty Long and Devil With The Dress. A very underrated Motowner. This is so much better than the more famous Mitch Ryder cover.

Much, much better. It's slow and slinky where Ryder's is all Little Richard style bombast. Nothing wrong with that but this is so much hipper.

11. I'm not sure about this one. I'm certainly a big fan of talented ivory tinkling but there's something a bit too vaudeville about this. I'm curious to find out what it is though.

The one and only James Booker - the best one eyed, gay, junkie pianist to ever come out of New Orleans. Seriously though, he was the best. In the past few years I've had conversations with a couple of current NOLA piano professors (Tom MacDermott and Jon Cleary) and both told me that there was no way they could play what Booker played. They could sound like him and emulate him but could not play this stuff. He's an incredible player. This comes from a CD called "The Lost Paramount Tapes" and it should be in the collection of anyone interested in the music of that region.

12. I like this one. There's a cool, laid-back vibe, and it has a sort of amateurish charm, although it's probably anything but. I also like how the two vocalists playfully bump off of each other. I suppose one criticism is that it's about two minutes too long, but that's not a deal breaker.

Also from the previously mentioned A.F.O. records comp. This is an incredibly rare single called Talk That Talk by Drits and Dravy - actually Mac Rebennack and Ronnie Barron. This is (once again) both sides of the 45 as one track taken straight from the master tapes. That explains the extra two minutes you mentioned but I have to agree that it's no deal breaker.

13. Blimey. A White Stripes cover by some modern soulstress. I'm guessing someone like Joss Stone. It's all very professional and glossy but it's actually pretty decent. I'm not about to go out and buy it, but i did enjoy it.

Joss Stone, indeed, doing Fell In Love With A Boy. I much prefer it to the White Stripes - a band I really don't get.

14. I love this. Top knob-twiddlin' muzak. This could also possibly be a cover, but if it is then it's lost in the fuzz. I dig how wiggy it gets at the end.

Medeski, Martin and Wood doing Is There Anybody Here That Love My Jesus. One of my favorite bands. They can go from this, sort of, modern day take on The Meters or the The M.G.s to straight up jazz and vaguely Hip Hop inspired tracks. I've not found a record of theirs that doesn't have something to offer.

15. A biting, funky guitar session. The drummer sounds like he's having a sweaty time. Definitely my kind of thing, cheers.

The Flamin' Groovies with an extra track from the Teenage Head CD called Going Out Theme. One of those, seemingly, rare occasions when an extra track could have actually come out on the original LP and fit perfectly.

So thanks a bunch. Lot's to love and certainly nothing that didn't have something good going for it. It worked really well as a mix and sucked straight in to my musical centre of gravity. I'm definitely looking forward to following up on a few of these tracks. Cheers.

I'm glad you liked it. Listening to it right now as I type makes me want to take it with me in my car today. It should make for some fine driving music.

Here's the list -

Olde Wine Alvin 'Red' Tyler
Right Now And Not Later The Shangri-Las
Midnight In Memphis J.J. Cale
Untitled Instrumental Bo Diddley
Shrimp And Gumbo Dave Bartholomew
Main Stem Andre Previn
Po Boy Walk Allen Toussaint
So Worried Charles "Hungry" Williams
T.I.B.W.F. The Budos Band
Devil With A Blue Dress Shorty Long
Lah Tee Tah James Booker
Talk That Talk Drits & Dravy
Fell In Love With A Boy Joss Stone
Is There Anybody Here That Love My Jesus Medeski, Martin & Wood
Going Out Theme The Flamin' Groovies

Return to “Mix Club”