Mix Club - Dec 2014 - Progress

Exchange mix CDs with each other.
User avatar
The Fish
Beer Battered
Posts: 12302
Joined: 24 Oct 2003, 20:04
Location: Hove Actually

Mix Club - Dec 2014 - Progress

Postby The Fish » 27 Sep 2014, 09:26

Well let's think optimistically shall we and call it November. Add or subtract yourself in the usual fashion...

1. The Fish
2. Whodathunkit
3. Sgt.Pepper
4. The Shadow
5. Nick Danger
6. TG
7. Minnie
8. bhoywonder
9. T. Willy Rye
Last edited by The Fish on 30 Nov 2014, 18:11, edited 1 time in total.
We're way past rhubarb

User avatar
Oscar
Northern Taoist
Posts: 12001
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:33

Re: Mix Club - Next sign up - Nov?? 2014

Postby Oscar » 29 Oct 2014, 12:10

1. The Fish
2. Whodathunkit
3. Sgt.Pepper
4. The Shadow
5. Nick Danger
6. TG
7. Minnie
8. bhoywonder
9. T. Willy Rye
10. t'Oscar

User avatar
Oscar
Northern Taoist
Posts: 12001
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:33

Re: Mix Club - Next sign up - Nov?? 2014

Postby Oscar » 10 Nov 2014, 21:33

What gives? Is this on? Is electronic transfer compulsory?

User avatar
The Fish
Beer Battered
Posts: 12302
Joined: 24 Oct 2003, 20:04
Location: Hove Actually

Re: Mix Club - Next sign up - Nov?? 2014

Postby The Fish » 11 Nov 2014, 20:12

Oscar51 wrote:What gives? Is this on? Is electronic transfer compulsory?


Hi Lenny.This was sort of the will of the people. There was mounting pressure along the lines of why are we still sending discs, although it has to be said everyone is struggling with the detaggng thing so a lot of people are getting mixes that tell them what they are listening to, if not who from.

I've tried not to make anything compulsory, and currently everyone unable to master the technology sends a physical disc to me and I do the upload, so just shout if you want to join that select sub group.

At the moment everyone is happy (allegedly) receiving mix electronically and I'd quite like to keep it that way, so I don't end up faffing about (It actually saves me a fair bit of time not having to copy and paste the addresses into the match up pm's). You can of course burn the mix to CD once downloaded if you prefer.

It is as ever always up for debate and if there is a will to go back to the old way........

Will probably do this one next weekend. The months are getting more and more flexible and I try not to start the next one while there are too many reviews outstanding.
We're way past rhubarb

User avatar
Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez
Posts: 37257
Joined: 23 Jul 2003, 20:02
Location: The Good, the Bad, both ugly
Contact:

Re: Mix Club - Next sign up - Nov?? 2014

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 12 Nov 2014, 19:19

A small suggestion if I may?

The next mix will probably the last for 2014.

What if we all made it a personal 'Best of the Year', 15 tracks from our personal best records?
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod


Image

User avatar
TG
Posts: 3702
Joined: 30 May 2006, 23:41
Location: Boss Angeles

Re: Mix Club - Next sign up - Nov?? 2014

Postby TG » 12 Nov 2014, 21:29

Walk In My Shadow wrote:A small suggestion if I may?

The next mix will probably the last for 2014.

What if we all made it a personal 'Best of the Year', 15 tracks from our personal best records?


I like the idea in principal. You might not like it so much if you get me for your mixer and dislike most of what I liked this year. I try to cater the mix to the listener's tastes (as best I can) and this might preclude me from doing that. But, if everyone else is in...
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

User avatar
Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez
Posts: 37257
Joined: 23 Jul 2003, 20:02
Location: The Good, the Bad, both ugly
Contact:

Re: Mix Club - Next sign up - Nov?? 2014

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 12 Nov 2014, 22:10

TG wrote:
Walk In My Shadow wrote:A small suggestion if I may?

The next mix will probably the last for 2014.

What if we all made it a personal 'Best of the Year', 15 tracks from our personal best records?


I like the idea in principal. You might not like it so much if you get me for your mixer and dislike most of what I liked this year. I try to cater the mix to the listener's tastes (as best I can) and this might preclude me from doing that. But, if everyone else is in...



That's probably the biggest risk, yes. It's just an idea though.

I was thinking of doing it even if nobody else is.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod


Image

User avatar
whodathunkit
Posts: 12173
Joined: 20 Aug 2004, 23:45
Location: Down in the boondocks

Re: Mix Club - Next sign up - Nov?? 2014

Postby whodathunkit » 14 Nov 2014, 09:33

Hate to be prescriptive about these things . It seems to be a difficult task for some of us to do any sort of mix (nothing received here for last two mix-club rounds) let alone co-ordinating a theme.

Also if I were to try a best of 2014 it would barely go beyond 3 or 4 tracks . Mmm, perhaps it's not such a bad idea :D .
Image

User avatar
Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez
Posts: 37257
Joined: 23 Jul 2003, 20:02
Location: The Good, the Bad, both ugly
Contact:

Re: Mix Club - Next sign up - Nov?? 2014

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 14 Nov 2014, 13:09

Walk In My Shadow wrote:I was thinking of doing it even if nobody else is.



...depending on who will receive my mix.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod


Image

User avatar
TG
Posts: 3702
Joined: 30 May 2006, 23:41
Location: Boss Angeles

Re: Mix Club - Next sign up - Nov?? 2014

Postby TG » 14 Nov 2014, 14:16

whodathunkit wrote:Hate to be prescriptive about these things . It seems to be a difficult task for some of us to do any sort of mix (nothing received here for last two mix-club rounds) let alone co-ordinating a theme.


Is it, perhaps, time for a set of Mix Club rules / bailout plans? And I know that I was the one who went AWOL a couple of months ago.

If Mr. The Fish sends out the names on the first of the month and no mix has been sent by, for the sake of argument, the 15th or 20th then a back up mix is sent by someone else? I have every mix I've ever sent anyone in my ITunes. Worst case I could find one from several years ago and send it to the new recipient. Or, best case, I could make a new one.

That won't fix the problem of missing reviews but might stop people from going 2 months with no mix received.

I don't know. It's early here and I've not had much coffee. Seems like a good idea but many things do when it's early and I haven't had much coffee.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

User avatar
bhoywonder
The Magnificent
Posts: 27391
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:06
Location: Bristol, UK
Contact:

Re: Mix Club - Next sign up - Nov?? 2014

Postby bhoywonder » 14 Nov 2014, 15:52

One possible solution to the 'best of' issue is that we could always have an additional, optional, best of 2014 mix each, which we could share with the rest of the mixclubbers.

Possibly not my best idea...

User avatar
Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez
Posts: 37257
Joined: 23 Jul 2003, 20:02
Location: The Good, the Bad, both ugly
Contact:

Re: Mix Club - Next sign up - Nov?? 2014

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 14 Nov 2014, 16:20

TG wrote:
whodathunkit wrote:Hate to be prescriptive about these things . It seems to be a difficult task for some of us to do any sort of mix (nothing received here for last two mix-club rounds) let alone co-ordinating a theme.


Is it, perhaps, time for a set of Mix Club rules / bailout plans? And I know that I was the one who went AWOL a couple of months ago.

If Mr. The Fish sends out the names on the first of the month and no mix has been sent by, for the sake of argument, the 15th or 20th then a back up mix is sent by someone else? I have every mix I've ever sent anyone in my ITunes. Worst case I could find one from several years ago and send it to the new recipient. Or, best case, I could make a new one.

That won't fix the problem of missing reviews but might stop people from going 2 months with no mix received.

I don't know. It's early here and I've not had much coffee. Seems like a good idea but many things do when it's early and I haven't had much coffee.



Good point. Well made.

Now have that coffee.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod


Image

User avatar
Oscar
Northern Taoist
Posts: 12001
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:33

Re: Mix Club - Next sign up - Nov?? 2014

Postby Oscar » 16 Nov 2014, 11:38

Well, I felt I had enough time and energy to create and send a mix and to receive and review one too. Don't know if I've got the time and energy to learn new tricks. A glance at the instructions has put me off a bit... also, losing the element of sending unnamed tracks. I'll have another look. A proper look... and maybe experiment tonight.

I used to think about suggesting a prescriptive or themed mix for the mix club... way back in the dark ages... but as a wise gentleman has pointed out (above), it can be very restricting and even contrary to exercising your knowledge and your musical taste. Hence the bonus disc. Even then, it is always an idea to scrutinise your recipients taste. One man's medicine...

User avatar
T. Willy Rye
Spinner of crazy fuck-ass shit
Posts: 3579
Joined: 30 Jan 2010, 21:41
Location: Fogertyland

Re: Mix Club - Next sign up - Nov?? 2014

Postby T. Willy Rye » 16 Nov 2014, 19:58

Oscar51 wrote:Well, I felt I had enough time and energy to create and send a mix and to receive and review one too. Don't know if I've got the time and energy to learn new tricks. A glance at the instructions has put me off a bit... also, losing the element of sending unnamed tracks. I'll have another look. A proper look... and maybe experiment tonight.

I used to think about suggesting a prescriptive or themed mix for the mix club... way back in the dark ages... but as a wise gentleman has pointed out (above), it can be very restricting and even contrary to exercising your knowledge and your musical taste. Hence the bonus disc. Even then, it is always an idea to scrutinise your recipients taste. One man's medicine...


I'm glad you're back. I remember receiving a cracking mix from you back in 2010 that sent me on some interesting paths. Looking forward to your contributions- maybe you'll help provide a much needed spark around here.

User avatar
bhoywonder
The Magnificent
Posts: 27391
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:06
Location: Bristol, UK
Contact:

Re: Mix Club - Next sign up - Nov?? 2014

Postby bhoywonder » 19 Nov 2014, 09:02

Oscar51 wrote:Well, I felt I had enough time and energy to create and send a mix and to receive and review one too. Don't know if I've got the time and energy to learn new tricks. A glance at the instructions has put me off a bit... also, losing the element of sending unnamed tracks. I'll have another look. A proper look... and maybe experiment tonight.

I used to think about suggesting a prescriptive or themed mix for the mix club... way back in the dark ages... but as a wise gentleman has pointed out (above), it can be very restricting and even contrary to exercising your knowledge and your musical taste. Hence the bonus disc. Even then, it is always an idea to scrutinise your recipients taste. One man's medicine...


I'm currently going through the teething troubles of rejoining the mix club. It's been a pain in the arse to figure out how to do it the first time, and I've still not figured out how to do it without sending it to the Fish to fix for me, but as grown men, it can't be beyond us to learn the new process, and it's worth it for the fun.

User avatar
TG
Posts: 3702
Joined: 30 May 2006, 23:41
Location: Boss Angeles

Re: Mix Club - Next sign up - Nov?? 2014

Postby TG » 19 Nov 2014, 15:23

bhoywonder wrote:
Oscar51 wrote:Well, I felt I had enough time and energy to create and send a mix and to receive and review one too. Don't know if I've got the time and energy to learn new tricks. A glance at the instructions has put me off a bit... also, losing the element of sending unnamed tracks. I'll have another look. A proper look... and maybe experiment tonight.

I used to think about suggesting a prescriptive or themed mix for the mix club... way back in the dark ages... but as a wise gentleman has pointed out (above), it can be very restricting and even contrary to exercising your knowledge and your musical taste. Hence the bonus disc. Even then, it is always an idea to scrutinise your recipients taste. One man's medicine...


I'm currently going through the teething troubles of rejoining the mix club. It's been a pain in the arse to figure out how to do it the first time, and I've still not figured out how to do it without sending it to the Fish to fix for me, but as grown men, it can't be beyond us to learn the new process, and it's worth it for the fun.


I won't really know if it worked until my mix finally gets reviewed. If it worked and I can remember what I did by then, I'll happily share.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

User avatar
Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector
Posts: 29512
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: Mix Club - Next sign up - Nov?? 2014

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 19 Nov 2014, 16:49

bhoywonder wrote:but as grown men,.


:evil:
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

User avatar
Oscar
Northern Taoist
Posts: 12001
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:33

Re: Mix Club - Next sign up - Nov?? 2014

Postby Oscar » 22 Nov 2014, 12:28

TG wrote:Is it, perhaps, time for a set of Mix Club rules / bailout plans?


I've just been browsing some of the past threads, with more curiosity and interest about what's in the mixes than anything else. BUT, there does seem to be the same issues haunting the project from when I used to be involved... with the added complication of id tagging. I used to get really frustrated in the early days about lack of commitment and sometimes a lack of common courtesy. I even remember the time when my recipient went way over the time limit so I created a new user profile (under his name) and reviewed my own disc (as him) in an overblown caricature of his personality (wish I could find it). But then different people have different tolerance levels, different ideals and this is meant to be just a bit of fun (or is it?).

I think the way forward would be to have a brief hiatus, giving time for the boffins to create a simplified and effective method of transferring electronically. This can also allow time for technophobes to understand the new methods and also time for everyone to stockpile some material/ideas for future comps. The project seems to be staggering and stumbling over it's own obstacles at the moment.

Another idea would be to learn from experience. Is a "monthly" exchange manageable? Personally, it always was for me... but never for the project as a whole. It has always been chasing after itself, trying desperately to keep up. Why bother? Admit defeat and do a "seasonal" mix. One every 3 months (Winter Mix, Spring Mix, Summer Mix and Autumn (Fall) Mix). If you get bored then do a Bonus Mix (with optional review - no pressure).

I'm well aware that I've been long out of this and who the fuck do I think I am but... just friendly suggestions.

User avatar
TG
Posts: 3702
Joined: 30 May 2006, 23:41
Location: Boss Angeles

Re: Mix Club - Next sign up - Nov?? 2014

Postby TG » 22 Nov 2014, 16:36

You know, you've been out of this a long time and just who the fuck do you think you...

Oscar51 wrote:I'm well aware that I've been long out of this and who the fuck do I think I am but... just friendly suggestions.


I'm so sorry. Really very, very sorry. I suppose I should have read the whole post before getting so worked up. :lol:

But truly, the issue of hiding the tracks is not that big a deal. The last mix I received had several artists/titles showing. I just did my best to avoid looking at them. It's not that hard to do. And is no less a headache than trundling off to the Post Office and spending $8.00 or $12.00 or whatever it was on postage to somewhere around the world. And filling out the Customs form that no two postal employees can agree on the completion of. And standing in line at the Post Office.

For the last mix I sent out, I simply made a CD copy of it and then used the CD to create the file to be sent. I assume it worked but haven't seen a review yet.

I'd like to get back to a monthly mix.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

User avatar
bhoywonder
The Magnificent
Posts: 27391
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:06
Location: Bristol, UK
Contact:

Re: Mix Club - Next sign up - Nov?? 2014

Postby bhoywonder » 24 Nov 2014, 14:09

Oscar51 wrote:
TG wrote:Is it, perhaps, time for a set of Mix Club rules / bailout plans?


I've just been browsing some of the past threads, with more curiosity and interest about what's in the mixes than anything else. BUT, there does seem to be the same issues haunting the project from when I used to be involved... with the added complication of id tagging. I used to get really frustrated in the early days about lack of commitment and sometimes a lack of common courtesy. I even remember the time when my recipient went way over the time limit so I created a new user profile (under his name) and reviewed my own disc (as him) in an overblown caricature of his personality (wish I could find it). But then different people have different tolerance levels, different ideals and this is meant to be just a bit of fun (or is it?).


People also have different priorities, and lives that get in the way of such disposable pleasures. Patience is a virtue, apparently.

Serial offenders should be hanged, mind.

(I wish you could find that review. I'm half-hoping and half-dreading that it was me... but I'd like to read it whoever it was)