2014 Mix 01 (March/April 2014) Reviews

Exchange mix CDs with each other.
T. Willy Rye
Spinner of crazy fuck-ass shit

2014 Mix 01 (March/April 2014) Reviews

Postby T. Willy Rye » 24 Mar 2014, 01:58

My mix comes from North Carolina- which means it's from a new mix club participant! Welcome- based on the quality of this mix, I predict massive popularity in our tight knit group.

So, let me get to it.

Track 1 is a groovy blues number. This is a John Lee Hooker song, right? A much different interpretation, though. The guitarist can really play. Love the funky bass and the piano coloring in the back there is a nice touch. Nice start.

Track 2 is a Latino rocker. At first I thought maybe a Hispanic No Doubt, but this rocks a little harder. Pretty good one here- I'm wondering how much I might listen to this outside of this mix, but I do like it.

Track 3 Abrupt transition. A really solid piece of pre-bop jazz, no idea who, but all the soloists turn in fine performance. Like how the horns play off each other after the piano solo. Great!

Track 4 Live Los Lobos “Tears of God.” I don't have this recording, or maybe I do. Need to bust out that Just Another Band... Anthology. Another fine selection.

Track 5 ain't really my thing. I need to explore my bias against later blues, but it's like these blues artist started listening to rock guitarist and somehow lost some of their convictions or something like that, I'll make sense of my prejudice one day.

Track 6 Girlschool “Race with the Devil.” Thanks, forgot about this song a little- so much fun! Love the wind sound effect.

Track 7 Ooh Latin. This sounds familiar, but not gonna guess. It almost veers into loungy areas, but still retains its salsa based integrity, particularly when the grunty sax comes in. Curious song- almost like it doesn't know its audience. Sax and piano say midnight jazz club, rhythm section say Caribbean dance club, the horn section say cruise for retirees and yet it all hangs together.

Track 8 Is this Santana? I've never really explored their ouvre, I mean I like Latin and I like rock- it's the whole jam band thing that makes me nervous. It's obvious these guys can really play, it just seems a little masturbatory.

Track 9 This is the blues that I love. Elmore James with Sky is Crying. Excellent.

Track 10 This is a rawer version of Lovin' Cup then I'm familiar with. Another ace selection!

Track 11 Mixer, you are now in a groove- great 50s R and B. That voice sure sounds familiar. “Rock Granny, Roll.”

Track 12 Brenda Holloway with “Every Little Bit Hurts.” I love her voice. Nuttin' much to add to that.

Track 13 is a sort of country-rockish type thing that I quite like. Maybe a little bit of a let down after the previous four (most things would be) but I do like it. No idea who it is or from what year it was recorded.

Track 14 Reaching back to a soulful ballad, prolly early 60s with strings and shit. Real good. Looking forward to the reveal.

Track 15 Live Sleater-Kinney with “Entertain.” Not sure the vitriol translates as much as the studio version, but I welcome another Sleater-Kinney fan to mix club.

Excellent mix. Thanks so much!
Last edited by T. Willy Rye on 24 Mar 2014, 16:27, edited 1 time in total.

Rayge

Re: 2014 Mix 01 (Marc/April 2014) Reviews

Postby Rayge » 24 Mar 2014, 14:16

Not really sure what I was expecting, to be honest, but it wasn't this :D : mainly English, a strong folk influence, lots of piano, cellos, more flutes than you would expect, and not a single track I recognized (although some of the voices were familiar). A couple of tracks didn't really work for me, but there were some real standouts, and the collection hung together really well. There's at least two bands on there I'll want to check out more of, maybe more. Excellent stuff.

Track one starts with doom piano chords, then bongos, bass and a flute. None of these is a bad thing. A wordless female chorus and a squirrely Hammond organ fill in the mid-section. It's a nice groove, and then it stops, like someone turned off the tape. I can imagine this playing under the credits of a 1980s movie.

Track two starts with a flourish and settles into an enjoyable piece of guitar pop: it's a timeless style, but I think it might be contemporary, largely because the voice is quite distinctive (tenor, English) but I can't say I've heard it before.

Track three: Accordion, woodwind, acoustic guitar, strings. I know the song, the MFQ's Sassafrass, but this is a modern take. No idea who it is, although there's something about the arrangement that suggests they are sometimes trembling on the edge of English twee-folk

Track four. Nice piano intro and arrangement. American and 21st century I would say. Good song, with plenty of propulsion from the piano and bass. I like this a lot.

Track five misfires for me. Reasonable soul vocals, but the sound is pedestrian late 60s/early 70s funk. Best I can say is that it's over pretty soon.

Track six. Oh this is better. A fine picked banjo, bass and a nicely phrased and expressive female vocal on a simple song that takes its time. And then there's a cello, which is always a bonus. This is lovely modern music in the American idiom and I haven't got a fucking clue who it is. The standout track for me.

Track Seven. A capella gospel from some American Boys that might or might not be Blind. Swings like a hammer smiting the unrighteous. This stuff is the roots of soul and doo wop, the sort of thing that would give John Coan a nosebleed. Excellent (the track, not the nosebleed).

Track eight begins with vinyl hiss, then stride piano and some excellent pre-war small band jazz with a Dixieland front line. No idea who it is - Jelly Roll Morton, maybe? I must say I approve the amount of piano in this mix.

Track nine is annoying in that it's familiar, but I just can't place it - sounds like American pop of the 1960s, with its swirling organ-based arrangement, but may be a later homage, especially with the 'was it a trip' lyric and the drumming. Looking forward to the reveal in this one.

Track ten. Has to be British, because it uses Tommy woodroffe's famously drunken 'the whole fleet's lit up' broadcast from the Spithead Review as the basis for the track, which is ambient keyboard stuff that builds into a fine cacophony. Boards of Canada maybe? Bloody good, anyway

Track eleven. Acoustic guitar singer-songwriting, but what a voice. It isn't Jandek (I think), but it's that left field. Looking forward to the reveal on this

Track twelve. Another pleasant groove. Actually, I think I recognize this one: it's a Donovan LP track, Ferris Wheel, or perhaps a close cover. Nice sound, anyway, with treated guitars and bongo-style percussion.

Track thirteen. More piano in the intro, modern sound, strings or synthstrings in the background, what sounds like a real cello, though. Modern classical / post rock, with a touch of Penguin Cafe about the rhythm and presentation, although I don't recognize the song. Excellent.

Track 14. British female vocal accompanied by piano. Sounds modern, although the song is older, sixties-sounding, even Beatleish. In fact. I wouldn't be surprised if it were a Beatles number from one of the mid-period albums that I never really listened to overmuch, or Badfinger maybe - better shut up before I make a complete prat of myself. It's OK, but not exciting.

Track 15. Modern English folk in a timeless style (but very much lyrically of this decade), and with a muted trumpet (?) adding texture. Not necessarily a genre I'm fond of, but this is class writing and singing

Track 16. Baritone voice, flat Yorkshire vowels, a simple tune with double time guitar interludes and a lyric that sounds like Half Man Half Biscuit's strange uncle. It's Jake Thackeray, isn't it? Not a great fan, largely because of Esther Rantzen connections, but this is decent.

Track 17. Another man with a guitar: this one has a nice building arrangement, strings again, but the vocals aren't making much of an impression – can't make them out at all.

Track 18. I listened to this four times before I twigged who the familiar voice was: Gilbert O'Sullivan. A clever song.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Nick Danger

Postby Nick Danger » 24 Mar 2014, 15:47

T. Willy Rye wrote:My mix comes from North Carolina- which means it's from a new mix club participant! Welcome- based on the quality of this mix, I predict massive popularity in our tight knit group.

So, let me get to it.

Track 1 is a groovy blues number. This is a John Lee Hooker song, right? A much different interpretation, though. The guitarist can really play. Love the funky bass and the piano coloring in the back there is a nice touch. Nice start.

Hooker has the most famous version of this but I was kinda surprised to learn it was written by Curtis Mayfield. This is relatively obscure bluesman Jimmy Johnson.

Track 2 is a Latino rocker. At first I thought maybe a Hispanic No Doubt, but this rocks a little harder. Pretty good one here- I'm wondering how much I might listen to this outside of this mix, but I do like it.

This is Latina all-girl punk/pop quartet Go Betty Go. They're from Glendale, CA and put out an EP and one album (both good) in the mid 00's and then disappeared.

Track 3 Abrupt transition. A really solid piece of pre-bop jazz, no idea who, but all the soloists turn in fine performance. Like how the horns play off each other after the piano solo. Great!

You'll know the name, it's pre-bop tenor sax legend Lester Young probably from the 30's or 40's. I don't know who the sidemen are.

Track 4 Live Los Lobos “Tears of God.” I don't have this recording, or maybe I do. Need to bust out that Just Another Band... Anthology. Another fine selection.

You're right, it's the Lobos from a live boot.

Track 5 ain't really my thing. I need to explore my bias against later blues, but it's like these blues artist started listening to rock guitarist and somehow lost some of their convictions or something like that, I'll make sense of my prejudice one day.

Lucky Peterson with Remember The Day. I like my Blues old too, mainly prewar country Blues but I like the energy on this track.

Track 6 Girlschool “Race with the Devil.” Thanks, forgot about this song a little- so much fun! Love the wind sound effect.

Girlschool is my favorite metalish band I guess. Actually I seem to have a weakness for all-girl rock bands in general. Three of the groups on this mix are all-female.

Track 7 Ooh Latin. This sounds familiar, but not gonna guess. It almost veers into loungy areas, but still retains its salsa based integrity, particularly when the grunty sax comes in. Curious song- almost like it doesn't know its audience. Sax and piano say midnight jazz club, rhythm section say Caribbean dance club, the horn section say cruise for retirees and yet it all hangs together.

This is from a comp entitled Latin Jazz. The only player listed is the pianist Hilton Ruiz. You're right, there's a lot going on here. It's frustrating when jazz tracks don't list all the players.

Track 8 Is this Santana? I've never really explored their ouvre, I mean I like Latin and I like rock- it's the whole jam band thing that makes me nervous. It's obvious these guys can really play, it just seems a little masturbatory.

It is Santana from their Sacred Fire: Live in South America album. I know what you mean about the self indulgence of his stuff but I like the odd track here and there. I love the drums on this.

Track 9 This is the blues that I love. Elmore James with Sky is Crying. Excellent.

One of my favorite Blues numbers.

Track 10 This is a rawer version of Lovin' Cup then I'm familiar with. Another ace selection!

Obscure group The Triumphs from an obscure garage comp. The 45 single of this is going for $300 on ebay.

Track 11 Mixer, you are now in a groove- great 50s R and B. That voice sure sounds familiar. “Rock Granny, Roll.”

This is Hank Ballard and the Midnighters from 1956. They were an important group in the transition from R & B to Rock n' Roll.

Track 12 Brenda Holloway with “Every Little Bit Hurts.” I love her voice. Nuttin' much to add to that.

You know your female soul singers. Another underused and underappreciated talent by Motown.

Track 13 is a sort of country-rockish type thing that I quite like. Maybe a little bit of a let down after the previous four (most things would be) but I do like it. No idea who it is or from what year it was recorded.

This is my favorite country/rock group Poco with Bitter Blue. Their best stuff is really good I think.

Track 14 Reaching back to a soulful ballad, prolly early 60s with strings and shit. Real good. Looking forward to the reveal.

One of my favorite R & B singers Billy Stewart. He had a few hits (Summertime, Sitting in the Park, I Do Love You) but he died in 1970 in a car accident and is pretty much relegated to cult status these days. A unique talent.

Track 15 Live Sleater-Kinney with “Entertain.” Not sure the vitriol translates as much as the studio version, but I welcome another Sleater-Kinney fan to mix club.

I am a Sleater-Kinney fan especially the singer and the drummer.

Excellent mix. Thanks so much!

I'm glad you enjoyed most of this. I'm enjoying mix club. It's making me dig into my collection to hunt for songs to use and I'm revisiting things I haven't listened to in years.

Tracklist-

1. Serves Me Right To Suffer - Jimmy Johnson
2. Son Mis Locuras - Go Betty Go
3. Tenor King - Lester Young
4. Tears Of God - Los Lobos
5. Remember The Day - Lucky Peterson
6. Race With The Devil - Girlschool
7. Something Grand - Hilton Ruiz
8. No One To Depend On - Santana
9. The Sky Is Crying - Elmore James
10. Lovin' Cup - The Triumphs
11. Rock, Granny, Roll - Hank Ballard and the Midnighters
12. Every Little Bit Hurts - Brenda Holloway
13. Bitter Blue - Poco
14. Temptation's Bout To Get Me - Billy Stewart
15. Entertain - Sleater-Kinney

fange
100% fangetastic

Re: 2014 Mix 01 (March/April 2014) Reviews

Postby fange » 25 Mar 2014, 03:51

I got a mighty fine Blues and Soul mix this month, cheers!

1. This was a fine start, a down-home country blues shuffler, just voice with banjo accompaniment. Loved hearing the lyric about wearing out ‘99 pair of shoes’, something Elmore James references too in ‘Stranger Blues’.

2. And some dirty early blues with the female singer dropping ‘fuck’ without batting an eyelid, and the descriptions are a riot. I feel I know this voice but can’t place it now so really looking forward to the reveal, love it.

3. ‘Saturday Night Fish Fry’ by the inimitable Louis J and the Tympany 5. You got my number, mixer – an old fave and still love it. I play my 2-disc highlights set of Louis at least once a year.

4. Been digging the high energy of this live jump blues, a real burner. Fab boogie woogie piano, and the tenor sax player has a gorgeous fat tone to his playing, but can hit those high notes like nobody’s business too. The whole band are cooking, really, just joyous, and the guitar player at the end is no fucking slouch either - that’s some red hot playing for the crowd. 10 minutes was too short.

5. A lovely doo-wop number. Don’t recognise it, maybe late-40s or early-50s but with a gorgeous laidback but strong rhythm. Looking forward to the reveal.

6. Some Stuff Smith here with ‘Perdido’, marvellous. I love the violin as a blues and jazz instrument when done with this kind of feel and creativity.

7. And the Coasters with ‘Little Egypt’, love it. When I was growing up in Melbourne in the late-70s one of the local AM radio stations had a Saturday evening show called Rock Around The Clock that had just ‘50s and ‘60s rock and roll classics from 6-midnight. First heard this one then, happy memories.

8. The unmistakable voice of Nina Simone. Not sure if I have this track, a lovely soft latin jazz feel to the melody and rhythms. Looking forward to the reveal.

9. A moody little ‘60s soul gem here, lovely vibes and the lass can sure carry a torch tune. Very familiar but can’t place it again! Looking forward.. etc.

10. And some lovely doo-wop soul. This has been one of my faves on the mix, love everything about it; the arrangement, the heavenly vocals, the guitar… Looking forward..etc.

11. Great track from a great singer that I hadn’t heard in too long here, ‘It’s All Over’ by Ben E King. Thanks mixer, I’ve been playing my King ‘best of’ during the week too, a timely reminder of his talents.

12. A bit of a novelty tune about marrying an ugly girl, done to a tune that owes a lot to ‘Limbo Rock’. A fun tune, which sadly just seems a bit lightweight after the killer preceding tunes.

13. I’ve been enjoying this one a lot, a very compelling singer that has a Timi ‘Hurt’ Yuro type of slightly androgynous blend to it, on a big-production style soul ballad. Lovely stuff!

14. Another big-production soul ballad (I can tell this is your preferred style of the genre, the less-funk more-swing approach), and another nice one. This lass can raise the roof with her pipes, no mistake. Probably not something I’d put on too much by itself, but something that works very nicely in a blues soul mix.

15. And the third big-soul ballad in a row is probably the biggest of all! :) Enjoy it in small doses as mentioned above. Big orchestrated number, and if the poor girl didn’t need a throat lozenge after that session I’d be very surprised.

16. Well, the final glorious final track of the mix couldn’t be more up my alley if you tried, Chuck Berry doing ‘Blues For Hawaiians’. I was THIS close to putting ‘Deep Feeling’ on my BCB Cup last this year, so Chuck doesn’t even need to open his mouth to have me hooked, that’s for sure. Wonderful end to a great disc - ta, mixer.

Looking forward to the reveal on several of these tracks, especially 10!
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 25 Mar 2014, 16:58

I got a mighty fine Blues and Soul mix this month, cheers!
Well I'm glad that you liked it. I must say I breathed a sigh of relief when your name came out of the hat because I'd be hard placed to even hazard a guess at the taste of anyone else in the club...

1. This was a fine start, a down-home country blues shuffler, just voice with banjo accompaniment. Loved hearing the lyric about wearing out ‘99 pair of shoes’, something Elmore James references too in ‘Stranger Blues’.
This is Dock Boggs, the Robert Johnson of the banjo, recorded in 1929 (I think). Boggs was another of those performers like Mississippi John Hurt or skip James who disappeared for decades and were rediscovered in the 60s, still playing, still poor.

2. And some dirty early blues with the female singer dropping ‘fuck’ without batting an eyelid, and the descriptions are a riot. I feel I know this voice but can’t place it now so really looking forward to the reveal, love it.
Blue in more ways than one, this is Shave ’Em Dry by Lucille Bogan, recorded in 1935. I've more than once used it to win 'filthiest records of all time' contests on forums, since finding it on a comp entitled 'Copulation Blues'.

3. ‘Saturday Night Fish Fry’ by the inimitable Louis J and the Tympany 5. You got my number, mixer – an old fave and still love it. I play my 2-disc highlights set of Louis at least once a year.
For my money, the greatest R&B act of the 40s, and one of the foundations of rock & roll

4. Been digging the high energy of this live jump blues, a real burner. Fab boogie woogie piano, and the tenor sax player has a gorgeous fat tone to his playing, but can hit those high notes like nobody’s business too. The whole band are cooking, really, just joyous, and the guitar player at the end is no fucking slouch either - that’s some red hot playing for the crowd. 10 minutes was too short.
Talking of the foundations of rock & roll, I often cite this track as the moment that rock & roll was invented, live on stage in 1944. This is The Blues, from the Jazz at the Phil concert of that year, and the tenor player doing the inventing (I always think of his solo as the sort of thing Neal Cassady would go red-faced crazy about, screaming GO GO GO into the bell of the horn while the sweat flew) is Illinois Jacquet. The piano is courtesy of Nat King Cole and the nimble-fingered guitarist is Les Paul. Also on stage: J J Johnson (tb), Jack McVea (ts), Johnny Miller (b) and Lee young (d)

5. A lovely doo-wop number. Don’t recognise it, maybe late-40s or early-50s but with a gorgeous laidback but strong rhythm. Looking forward to the reveal.
From the first and perhaps the best of the bird groups, the Ravens, the missing link between the Inkspots and doo-wop proper, with their hi-lo twin leads (Jimmy ricks on bass, Maithe Marshall on high tenor. Year is 1947. The song is Together: P.J. had a memorable shot at this in a single in the early 60s, taking both vocal parts himself

6. Some Stuff Smith here with ‘Perdido’, marvellous. I love the violin as a blues and jazz instrument when done with this kind of feel and creativity.
Couldn't agree more about the violin. I first heard Stuff when I was sub-editing the Jazz Greats partwork, and was somewhat enchanted by the anecdotes about his prodigious appetites for marijuana and hooch, jncluding the fact that he more than once sacked a sideman for turning up sober to rehearsals. This was one of the tunes that was played at Chip's and my second wedding.

7. And the Coasters with ‘Little Egypt’, love it. When I was growing up in Melbourne in the late-70s one of the local AM radio stations had a Saturday evening show called Rock Around The Clock that had just ‘50s and ‘60s rock and roll classics from 6-midnight. First heard this one then, happy memories.
Love Leiber & Stoller's song, King Curtis's horn, the whole salacious joyfulness of it. Ying yang indeed

8. The unmistakable voice of Nina Simone. Not sure if I have this track, a lovely soft latin jazz feel to the melody and rhythms. Looking forward to the reveal.
This is from my favourite Nina album, Forbidden Fruit (1960), and may be my favourite track by her. The guitar (Al Shackman) and piano interplay is exquisite. Generally, I think her Colpix albums (1959-1963) are better, jazzier, than the Phillips albums of the next five years, while none of her RCA albums is essential

9. A moody little ‘60s soul gem here, lovely vibes and the lass can sure carry a torch tune. Very familiar but can’t place it again! Looking forward.. etc.
I'm Evil Tonight by Betty Harris from 1963, the B-side of the more soulful tear-up What a Sad Feeling. Never in the first division, but some cracking sides. I love the way that all the old jazzers left behind by the break up of the big bands produced these really creative, textured arrangements for R&B and soul sides

10. And some lovely doo-wop soul. This has been one of my faves on the mix, love everything about it; the arrangement, the heavenly vocals, the guitar… Looking forward..etc.
Well, I always loved doo-wop, considered myself an aficionado, but I never heard this until about five years or so ago, when His Bobness played it on Theme Time Radio Hour. It's What Time Is It? by the Jive Five, and was the last doo wop classic, released in 1963

11. Great track from a great singer that I hadn’t heard in too long here, ‘It’s All Over’ by Ben E King. Thanks mixer, I’ve been playing my King ‘best of’ during the week too, a timely reminder of his talents.
Ben is the greatest male soul singer IMO, and yet he could do latin, Pop, and Strange with equal aplomb. This single, coupled with Let the Water Run down (also covered by P J Proby) was the last of a storming run of double-siders, including Stand By Me and On the Horizon (an arrangement from another planet) and How Can I Forget / Gloria, and is the purest example of his testifying soul style: the Hah! that follows 'I put my hand right over where my heart once used to be' gets me every time

12. A bit of a novelty tune about marrying an ugly girl, done to a tune that owes a lot to ‘Limbo Rock’. A fun tune, which sadly just seems a bit lightweight after the killer preceding tunes.
I have this habit when making a mix in including one or two songs that have only an oblique reference to the theme, and here it's the name of the artist, Jimmy Soul. This, If You Wanna Be Happy was his only hit, a million-selling US number 1 in 1963. He shared management and a sound (basically sax man Gene Barge - Daddy G - and The Church street Five) with Gary (US) Bonds, and like Bonds, recorded really fine, contrasting B-sides. The flip of this, Please Release Me, a fine piece of special pleading over a Hammond organ tune, would have fitted here well, but I can't find a digital version.

13. I’ve been enjoying this one a lot, a very compelling singer that has a Timi ‘Hurt’ Yuro type of slightly androgynous blend to it, on a big-production style soul ballad. Lovely stuff!
This is Timi Yuro! Nice spot. After leaving Liberty and joining Mercury, Timi suddenly got herself some decent material and producers, and made two great singles and a superb torch album, The Amazing Timi Yuro. This is the first of the singles, a resexed version of Roy Hamilton's more up-tempo You Can Have Her from the 1950s. I don't know who the producer is, but that kitchen sink arrangement really gives Timi something to climb, and she does it beautifully IMO

14. Another big-production soul ballad (I can tell this is your preferred style of the genre, the less-funk more-swing approach), and another nice one. This lass can raise the roof with her pipes, no mistake. Probably not something I’d put on too much by itself, but something that works very nicely in a blues soul mix.
Another B-side: this is one of the few secular sides of Marie Knight, a gospel singer who partnered Rosetta Tharpe in the 40s and early 50s and released her last album at the age of 82 in 2007. In 1965 she had a small American hit with a wonderful screamer's version of Cry Me a River, my second-favourite soul performance of all time, and this song, Comes the Night (or Comes the Knight if you believe the label) was on the flip

15. And the third big-soul ballad in a row is probably the biggest of all! :) Enjoy it in small doses as mentioned above. Big orchestrated number, and if the poor girl didn’t need a throat lozenge after that session I’d be very surprised.
And here is my submission for the greatest soul single of all time: I'm surprised you didn't recognize it as it's not that obscure: it's Stay With Me by Lorraine Ellison, formerly of the Gospel group the Golden Chords. It was written and produced by Jerry Ragovoy (a fair proportion of this mix involves New York Jews somewhere along the line), and the stonking arrangement is down to Frank Sinatra making a late cancellation of a session and leaving a 46-piece orchestra kicking its heels. That's Lorraine on the piano at the beginning. I know what you mean about the lozenges, but I never heard a better example of the fine art of screaming in tune in my life :D . And her phrasing on the word 'Remember'... Jesus

16. Well, the final glorious final track of the mix couldn’t be more up my alley if you tried, Chuck Berry doing ‘Blues For Hawaiians’. I was THIS close to putting ‘Deep Feeling’ on my BCB Cup last this year, so Chuck doesn’t even need to open his mouth to have me hooked, that’s for sure. Wonderful end to a great disc - ta, mixer.
Well, confession time: it was supposed to end with Lorraine, but when I was retagging, I realised I only had 15 tracks rather than the sixteen, so there was a quick scrabble through the iTunes for something with Blue in the title, and like you, I love the sound of Chuck's band, particularly their habit of playing countermelodies behind the great man, so that was the choice.

Thrilled you liked it fangedango! - had no idea you grew up in Oz, which would explain why some of the tracks were unfamiliar. If you want to explore any of them further, give me a shout here or on a pm

Looking forward to April...

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 26 Mar 2014, 02:34

Excellent, ta Rayge, there are several there i'll be tracking down. I must dig back into Bob's Radio show stuff, i'm sure i had it somewhere.
And what was the name of the album 'This Is The Blues' was from, that sounds killer.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

whodathunkit

Postby whodathunkit » 26 Mar 2014, 12:17

Rayge wrote:Not really sure what I was expecting, to be honest, but it wasn't this :D : mainly English, a strong folk influence, lots of piano, cellos, more flutes than you would expect, and not a single track I recognized (although some of the voices were familiar). A couple of tracks didn't really work for me, but there were some real standouts, and the collection hung together really well. There's at least two bands on there I'll want to check out more of, maybe more. Excellent stuff.

Hi Ray. I gather you're a man who likes a theme in your mixes. Sorry about this then :D . I have a playlist in itunes for stuff that crops up and might go down well in mixclub. I gave it a clearout, tried to inject a bit of a flow and Bob's your uncle or, in this case, your mixer

Rayge wrote:Track one starts with doom piano chords, then bongos, bass and a flute. None of these is a bad thing. A wordless female chorus and a squirrely Hammond organ fill in the mid-section. It's a nice groove, and then it stops, like someone turned off the tape. I can imagine this playing under the credits of a 1980s movie.

From one of the Mood Mosaic collections, George Garvarentz invites you to a "Hascish (sic.) Party". Enjoy.

Track two starts with a flourish and settles into an enjoyable piece of guitar pop: it's a timeless style, but I think it might be contemporary, largely because the voice is quite distinctive (tenor, English) but I can't say I've heard it before.

Tried to avoid the usual nostalgia wallow and include a few things by a few modern(ish) artists I keep an ear out for. Sunderland band Field Music and "(I Keep Thinking About) A New Thing". Several cracking albums. This is from the last one,Plumb.

Track three: Accordion, woodwind, acoustic guitar, strings. I know the song, the MFQ's Sassafrass, but this is a modern take. No idea who it is, although there's something about the arrangement that suggests they are sometimes trembling on the edge of English twee-folk

Van Dyke Parks. Genius or complete wanker? I never know. This is from a recent "re-visiting" set called Songs Cycled which is actually half-decent.

Track four. Nice piano intro and arrangement. American and 21st century I would say. Good song, with plenty of propulsion from the piano and bass. I like this a lot.

I love everything this band's ever done. Well, except for their recent covers album. Well, anyway, before that there was Animal Life by Shearwater from which this comes - "You As You Were"

Track five misfires for me. Reasonable soul vocals, but the sound is pedestrian late 60s/early 70s funk. Best I can say is that it's over pretty soon.

The first of a little "get right with god" trilogy. "Its Wrong To Fight" - The Violinaires from 1968

Track six. Oh this is better. A fine picked banjo, bass and a nicely phrased and expressive female vocal on a simple song that takes its time. And then there's a cello, which is always a bonus. This is lovely modern music in the American idiom and I haven't got a fucking clue who it is. The standout track for me.

Crooked Still are a young(ish) country/Americana outfit who have put out 4 or 5 great albums over the last 10 years or so. This is "Wading Deep Waters" from 2008s Still Crooked".

Track Seven. A capella gospel from some American Boys that might or might not be Blind. Swings like a hammer smiting the unrighteous. This stuff is the roots of soul and doo wop, the sort of thing that would give John Coan a nosebleed. Excellent (the track, not the nosebleed).

A little embarrassed here. It's called "In The Wilderness" but due to a somewhat casual approach to tagging I don't have a clue who it's by. Googling has proven fruitless. Good though ennit?

Track eight begins with vinyl hiss, then stride piano and some excellent pre-war small band jazz with a Dixieland front line. No idea who it is - Jelly Roll Morton, maybe? I must say I approve the amount of piano in this mix.

The Tom Crowley orchestra, no less, and "Doc O'Ligy". I love the way the poor balancing of the instruments (the piano is way too far back) gives you a sense of being in the room rather than listening to a record.

Track nine is annoying in that it's familiar, but I just can't place it - sounds like American pop of the 1960s, with its swirling organ-based arrangement, but may be a later homage, especially with the 'was it a trip' lyric and the drumming. Looking forward to the reveal in this one.

Long before he was just Brucie and Tarbeys golfing chum, Kenny Lynch made some excellent little pop-soul 45s. This ones called "Poof!".

Track ten. Has to be British, because it uses Tommy woodroffe's famously drunken 'the whole fleet's lit up' broadcast from the Spithead Review as the basis for the track, which is ambient keyboard stuff that builds into a fine cacophony. Boards of Canada maybe? Bloody good, anyway

Last year's big thing, Public Service Broadcasting and "Lit Up". I like the way they augment the broadcast rather than simply sample bits of it to touch up some little tune of their own.

Track eleven. Acoustic guitar singer-songwriting, but what a voice. It isn't Jandek (I think), but it's that left field. Looking forward to the reveal on this

Stephen John Murray aka, Tymon Dogg, one of rock's also-rans but a fascinating character (see here). "Sick As A Dog" from his 1982 effort Battle of Wills

Track twelve. Another pleasant groove. Actually, I think I recognize this one: it's a Donovan LP track, Ferris Wheel, or perhaps a close cover. Nice sound, anyway, with treated guitars and bongo-style percussion.

My "havent heard it for ages" track. Yes, D and FW.

Track thirteen. More piano in the intro, modern sound, strings or synthstrings in the background, what sounds like a real cello, though. Modern classical / post rock, with a touch of Penguin Cafe about the rhythm and presentation, although I don't recognize the song. Excellent.

"We Move Lightly" by American composer Dustin O'Halloran. Since including this, I notice it's all over the telly at present for programme intros and linking bits.

Track 14. British female vocal accompanied by piano. Sounds modern, although the song is older, sixties-sounding, even Beatleish. In fact. I wouldn't be surprised if it were a Beatles number from one of the mid-period albums that I never really listened to overmuch, or Badfinger maybe - better shut up before I make a complete prat of myself. It's OK, but not exciting.

"Wait" is quite an ignorable Fabs track but I think this simple little version reminds you what great writers they were even when coasting. Cara Dillon from the 2006 Rubber Folk project.

Track 15. Modern English folk in a timeless style (but very much lyrically of this decade), and with a muted trumpet (?) adding texture. Not necessarily a genre I'm fond of, but this is class writing and singing

My favourite English folkie Chris Wood. "The Sweetness Game" from his last album, None The Wiser

Track 16. Baritone voice, flat Yorkshire vowels, a simple tune with double time guitar interludes and a lyric that sounds like Half Man Half Biscuit's strange uncle. It's Jake Thackeray, isn't it? Not a great fan, largely because of Esther Rantzen connections, but this is decent.

I shared your aversion for a long time Ray. Funny-looking cove on "That's Life" who my old man thought was a folk singer. But I've come round to him over the years. Mind you I've also started eyeing up the odd cardigan.It's just called "Hole".

Track 17. Another man with a guitar: this one has a nice building arrangement, strings again, but the vocals aren't making much of an impression – can't make them out at all.

American Sam Amidon and "Way Go Lily". He obviously knows his John Martyn and Nick Drake albums - hence the mumbly vocals. Gorgeous arrangement though.

Track 18. I listened to this four times before I twigged who the familiar voice was: Gilbert O'Sullivan. A clever song.

Been meaning to drop this one on to the end of a mix for ages. Gilbert and "I Love It But". A Mix Club sig tune perhaps?

There you go. Glad it was interesting if not always your cuppa.

THE LIST

1. "Hascisch Party" - George Garvarenz
2. "(I Keep Thinking About ) A New Thing - Field Music
3. "Sassafrass" - Van Dyke Parks
4. "You As You Were" - Shearwater
5. "It's Wrong To Fight" - The Violinaires
6. "Wading Deep Waters" - Crooked Still
7. "In The Wilderness" - Anon( :oops: )
8. "Doc O'Ligy" - Tom Crowley Orchestra
9. "Poof!" - Kenny Lynch
10. "Lit Up" - Public Service Broadcasting
11. "Sick As A Dog" - Tymon Dogg
!2. Ferris Wheel" - Donovan
13. "We Move Lightly" - Dustin O'Halloran
14. "Wait" - Cara Dillon
15. "The Sweetness Game" - Chris Wood
16. "Hole" - Jake Thackray
17. "Way Go Lily" - Sam Amidon
18. "I Love It But" - Gilbert O'Sullivan

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 09 Apr 2014, 14:26

fangedango! wrote:And what was the name of the album 'This Is The Blues' was from, that sounds killer.

Er, it's actually just 'The Blues': I was playing fast and loose with punctuation there.
I think it first appeared on a Jazz at the Philharmonic album, but my version is from the Proper Box set of Illinois Jacquet, which also includes Lester Leaps In, Body and Soul, and I've Found a New Baby from the same concert. 'The Blues' is pretty much the star, turn, but there's more killer stuff from Nat, Les and Mr Jacquet

Anyway, here's the list, a little late:
1 Dock Boggs - Down South Blues
2 Lucille Bogan - Shave ’Em Dry
3 Louis Jordan and & the Tympany five - Saturday Night Fish Fry
4 Jazz at the Phil 1944 – The Blues
5 The Ravens - Together
6 Stuff Smith - Perdido
7 The Coasters - Little Egypt
8 Nina Simone - Just Say I Love Him
9 Betty Harris – I'm Evil Tonight
10 The Jive Five – What Time Is It?
11 Ben E King - It's All Over
12 Jimmy Soul – If You Wanna Be Happy
13 Timi Yuro - You Can Have Him
14 Marie Knight – Comes the Knight
15 Lorraine Ellison – Stay With Me
16 Chuck Berry – Blues for Hawaiians
Last edited by Rayge on 09 Apr 2014, 16:19, edited 1 time in total.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 09 Apr 2014, 14:26

Um, where is everybody?

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 09 Apr 2014, 15:09

Rayge wrote:Um, where is everybody?

Indeed. Fingers out people. Let's have some reviews.

I am in the clear as I haven't even received a mix yet :evil:
We're way past rhubarb

Heilan Coo
The Communist Charles Hawtrey

Postby Heilan Coo » 16 Apr 2014, 18:57

Right, apologies for the lateness of the review. I've listened to it a good few times already so here goes :

1. This one I do know - it's the mighty Hookworms and Away/Towards. Slow-burning start, building to shouty reverby vocals, nagging bass and then BOOM. Three minutes in and you're off. An absolute beast, one that may give those of a nervous disposition or the most ardent of doyens a bit of a funny turn. Eventually slows down on the seven-minute mark into a krautrock groove before picking up the pace again for the last minute. Know this, it's just awesome. Took a bit of self-control not to play it again. Onwards...

2. Two out of two, mixer. Someone's been doing a bit of research, I think. Dum Dum Girls' "Lord Knows" comes a bit of a relief after the Hookworms onslaught. Love the vocal on this one, especially the chorus - sounds very Neko Case-esque.

3. Don't know this one, I must admit. Slowing down the pace further, this sounds familiar but I can't put my finger on it. Vocals are laid-back and drawling, carried along with simple drums and a fair bit of strings. Nice enough, could have done with maybe being two minutes shorter, though :D

4. Drawing another blank here, coasts along at a relaxed pace, lot of slide-guitar, this would make a cracking Yankee Hotel Foxtrot-era Wilco song.

5. Ah, here we go, another one I know. Menomena's "Evil Bee" from the Friend & Foe album - always been glad that the saxophone that threatens to turn the whole thing into Johnny Fartpants' description of jazz (something about a seagull and a pig being put in a sack and beaten with sticks :lol:) is kept to an unintrusive minimum.

6. No idea who this is, but it sounds halfway between The Go! Team and CSS (please note : in my eyes, this is not a bad thing). I'm pretty sure the cool kids and Shoreditch hipsters would probably call this "electroclash" or "dance-punk". The more I listen to it, the more I become convinced that the vocals are whats-er-face from CSS. I'm most likely wrong.

7. Next stop, Synth City. Crooned distant vocals and synths a-plenty. Decent enough, but just kind of...drifts by, never really gets going enough to grab the attention. It does, however, work as a nice bridge into the next track...

8. Yep, we're definitely in Synth City now. In fact, we're in the Mayor of Synth City's gaff for a port and a cigar here. Much like the last track, however, it just wafts by and doesn't really do anything to demand your attention. Works well in the context of this mix, but y'know, I don't think I'd give it a second listen if I were to hear this in isolation.

9. Now this is more like it. Leaving Synth City on the M83 (eh? eh? You see? I'm here all week, folks) - this is Kim & Jessie from the Saturdays = Youth album. If the previous two tracks had been more along these lines, then I might have been kinder to them. Much more going on in this. Good drums and synths on this - never outstays it's welcome at over five minutes long.

10. Oooh, no, it's Royksopp. Never got on with them. Is it just me? Probably. Tolerated it for the sake of this mix CD, but by god, please, never again :lol:

11. Much like track four being a Wilco-in-waiting track, this has Grandaddy written all over it. A very Jason Lytle-esque vocal and slow, pulsing beat - sounds very much like something that wouldn't be out of place on The Sophtware Slump, which means it's very good indeed. Is it Earlimart? It certainly makes me think of Treble & Tremble-era Earlimart, at least.

12. Yeah, this track and the last confirms someone's done a bit of digging to prepare this and tapped into my liking for Midwestern bands with languid lead vocalists. The Orchids by Califone, short but sweet, very Jeff Tweedy-sounding vocals. From Roots & Crowns, isn't it? Thanks for putting this one on, actually - reminded me to dig out a copy of this again.

13. Ok, bit different. Not too sure who this is. Vocals are slap-bang in the centre of the mix here, drums are muffled and waaaaay back- it works on the strength of the vocal, though. That's what grabs your attention straight away. A dark, gothy track so I'm guessing this one goes back a bit? It's only three-and-a-half minutes long too - any longer than that and it would have perhaps begun to outstay it's welcome.

14. And the last track. Recognised it straight away as Neko Case - nice closer to the mix, this, especially when you consider how early it appears on the new(ish) album. Good choice!

Yeah, I enjoyed this, mystery compiler (apart from the Royksopp!). Lots there that's got my interest - looking forward to finding who most of these are, especially tracks four and six. Good show!
savoirfaire wrote:They are extremely cuddly, to the point where I think I was literally molested by a few of them. I completely understand how the farmer-goat relationships must happen.

whodathunkit

Postby whodathunkit » 17 Apr 2014, 15:47

And likewise, sorry this has taken a while. This mix arrived as one file so I had to find a time when I could do the review in one lump, as it were.

1. Starts off with the one track I recognise. "Long Gone Geek" by Procul Harum which I think was a B-side and never made it to a proper album. Not exactly a major work but all early to mid-period Procul is welcome. Quite funky too. They must have been the best R'n' B covers band in Southend when they started out.
2. Oh Gawd, here's a very recognisable voice. Except by me! That nerdy Gary Numan-style whine that became obligatory at one time in Indie. Good song though. If a bit shouty.
3. Another big fuzzy indie cut. Multi-vocals way back in the mix remind me of the Polyphonic Spree.
4. "You look like world-wide Armageddon" announces a soulful black voice and a rather lovely floaty instrumental starts. Heavy on the flute and congas. Short but sweet.
5. Whiney female vocals. Not much song. Sounds like the Magnetic Fields on an off day. Worst guitar solo ever :D .
6. Another girley, tons of echo again but much better. Nice whoosy feel to the track and some gorgeous synths. Loved this one.
7. Another okay song touched up with some lovely synth figures and much better for it.
8. Nice bit of pizzicato at the start of this. Quite a pleasant song from someone I suspect of being Scottish.
9. More singer/songwriter stuff. Lovely mandolin bubbling away under a tuneful ditty. As with so much on this mix, I'm enjoying it but not feeling it.
10. A bit more swagger to this one. Rather dark little song from another Scottish voice which appears to be called "I Hope You Die". I'm trying to avoid using the word "dour". :D

And that's your lot. Outside of track 6 and the Procul, there was nothing orgasmic but then there was nothing unpleasant either. Certainly worth a few more listens.

Duncan

Postby Duncan » 19 Apr 2014, 14:05

Heilan Coo wrote:Right, apologies for the lateness of the review. I've listened to it a good few times already so here goes :

How do Coo, this was mine. I enjoyed the rare opportunity to create a BCB mix containing purely tracks recorded over the last few years. I didn't do too much in the way of research apart from revisiting some of those CDrs that you've thrown at me during various jolly-ups, so I'm glad that it mostly hit the mark. I'm actually surprised by how many you're familiar with. Anyway, on with the reveal...

Heilan Coo wrote:1. This one I do know - it's the mighty Hookworms and Away/Towards. Slow-burning start, building to shouty reverby vocals, nagging bass and then BOOM. Three minutes in and you're off. An absolute beast, one that may give those of a nervous disposition or the most ardent of doyens a bit of a funny turn. Eventually slows down on the seven-minute mark into a krautrock groove before picking up the pace again for the last minute. Know this, it's just awesome. Took a bit of self-control not to play it again. Onwards...

It's great to see Hookworms getting some national exposure. The album was originally released on a tiny label run by a mate of mine here in Nottingham. In 15 years this is the first time he's broken even and it was mostly down to these guys. Great live band, too.

Heilan Coo wrote:2. Two out of two, mixer. Someone's been doing a bit of research, I think. Dum Dum Girls' "Lord Knows" comes a bit of a relief after the Hookworms onslaught. Love the vocal on this one, especially the chorus - sounds very Neko Case-esque.

Aye, it's probably my favourite track of their's. That End of Daze EP was a bit of a step forward, I reckon.

Heilan Coo wrote:3. Don't know this one, I must admit. Slowing down the pace further, this sounds familiar but I can't put my finger on it. Vocals are laid-back and drawling, carried along with simple drums and a fair bit of strings. Nice enough, could have done with maybe being two minutes shorter, though :D

This is Phosphorescent with A Song For Zula from last year's Muchacho album. Shimmery goodness.

Heilan Coo wrote:4. Drawing another blank here, coasts along at a relaxed pace, lot of slide-guitar, this would make a cracking Yankee Hotel Foxtrot-era Wilco song.

This is Florida band Holopaw and the track is called Hoover. They've gone a bit boring recently but the first couple of albums were great.

Heilan Coo wrote:5. Ah, here we go, another one I know. Menomena's "Evil Bee" from the Friend & Foe album - always been glad that the saxophone that threatens to turn the whole thing into Johnny Fartpants' description of jazz (something about a seagull and a pig being put in a sack and beaten with sticks :lol:) is kept to an unintrusive minimum.

I love the squawky sax and the whole 'throw a bit of everything in there' approach.

Heilan Coo wrote:6. No idea who this is, but it sounds halfway between The Go! Team and CSS (please note : in my eyes, this is not a bad thing). I'm pretty sure the cool kids and Shoreditch hipsters would probably call this "electroclash" or "dance-punk". The more I listen to it, the more I become convinced that the vocals are whats-er-face from CSS. I'm most likely wrong.

Yep, joyously daft electro plucked from Dalston's wankiest dancefloor. This is Nanny Nanny Boo Boo by Le Tigre remixed by Junior Senior (remember those guys?).

Heilan Coo wrote:7. Next stop, Synth City. Crooned distant vocals and synths a-plenty. Decent enough, but just kind of...drifts by, never really gets going enough to grab the attention. It does, however, work as a nice bridge into the next track...

This Cherry by Chromatics. I'm a sucker for this kind of dreamy, floaty, retro-sounding synth music. Bloody lovely.

Heilan Coo wrote:8. Yep, we're definitely in Synth City now. In fact, we're in the Mayor of Synth City's gaff for a port and a cigar here. Much like the last track, however, it just wafts by and doesn't really do anything to demand your attention. Works well in the context of this mix, but y'know, I don't think I'd give it a second listen if I were to hear this in isolation.

Desire - Don't Call.

Heilan Coo wrote:9. Now this is more like it. Leaving Synth City on the M83 (eh? eh? You see? I'm here all week, folks) - this is Kim & Jessie from the Saturdays = Youth album. If the previous two tracks had been more along these lines, then I might have been kinder to them. Much more going on in this. Good drums and synths on this - never outstays it's welcome at over five minutes long.

Yep, it's a monster.

Heilan Coo wrote:10. Oooh, no, it's Royksopp. Never got on with them. Is it just me? Probably. Tolerated it for the sake of this mix CD, but by god, please, never again :lol:

I've never been a massive fan either, but I've always thought this one to be very un-Royksoppy. It's basically a more poppy Knife track, which is a good thing in my book. Anyway, the song is called What Else Is There?

Heilan Coo wrote:11. Much like track four being a Wilco-in-waiting track, this has Grandaddy written all over it. A very Jason Lytle-esque vocal and slow, pulsing beat - sounds very much like something that wouldn't be out of place on The Sophtware Slump, which means it's very good indeed. Is it Earlimart? It certainly makes me think of Treble & Tremble-era Earlimart, at least.

It is indeed Earlimart. The track is called Color Bars and is from their 2003 EP Avenues, which probably makes it the oldest thing on the mix.

Heilan Coo wrote:12. Yeah, this track and the last confirms someone's done a bit of digging to prepare this and tapped into my liking for Midwestern bands with languid lead vocalists. The Orchids by Califone, short but sweet, very Jeff Tweedy-sounding vocals. From Roots & Crowns, isn't it? Thanks for putting this one on, actually - reminded me to dig out a copy of this again.

Yeah, it's great. It's pretty lo-fi but there's still loads going on.

Heilan Coo wrote:13. Ok, bit different. Not too sure who this is. Vocals are slap-bang in the centre of the mix here, drums are muffled and waaaaay back- it works on the strength of the vocal, though. That's what grabs your attention straight away. A dark, gothy track so I'm guessing this one goes back a bit? It's only three-and-a-half minutes long too - any longer than that and it would have perhaps begun to outstay it's welcome.

This one is Night by Zola Jesus, from the 2010 album Stridulum II

Heilan Coo wrote:14. And the last track. Recognised it straight away as Neko Case - nice closer to the mix, this, especially when you consider how early it appears on the new(ish) album. Good choice!

This is my favourite thing that she's done for a while

Yeah, I enjoyed this, mystery compiler (apart from the Royksopp!). Lots there that's got my interest - looking forward to finding who most of these are, especially tracks four and six. Good show![/quote]

Jolly good, glad you enjoyed it. Pip pip.
Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb...

Heilan Coo

Postby Heilan Coo » 21 Apr 2014, 18:34

Fuck's sake, I've just finished typing out my reveal, only to be logged out and lose the whole bloody lot. I will redo it again tomorrow night - apologies to Whodathunkit, I haven't forgotten about you, honest :lol:
savoirfaire wrote:They are extremely cuddly, to the point where I think I was literally molested by a few of them. I completely understand how the farmer-goat relationships must happen.

whodathunkit

Postby whodathunkit » 21 Apr 2014, 18:55

No sweat, Mr Coo. We've all been there :x .

Heilan Coo

Postby Heilan Coo » 23 Apr 2014, 21:01

Right, as I was saying before I was so rudely interrupted...

whodathunkit wrote:1. Starts off with the one track I recognise. "Long Gone Geek" by Procul Harum which I think was a B-side and never made it to a proper album. Not exactly a major work but all early to mid-period Procul is welcome. Quite funky too. They must have been the best R'n' B covers band in Southend when they started out.

Off to a flyer there. Pretty good as an opening track, no? (even if I do say so myself :lol:). Done a little bit of digging when I drew your name and noticed you were on a bit of Procul kick a while back, so there was only choice, really. You're spot on in saying it was a B-side, Long Gone Geek was the B-side to A Salty Dog and later appeared on the reissue of the album of the same name.

whodathunkit wrote:2. Oh Gawd, here's a very recognisable voice. Except by me! That nerdy Gary Numan-style whine that became obligatory at one time in Indie. Good song though. If a bit shouty.

This is I Believe In Anything by Wolf Parade, from the Apologies To The Queen Mary album. I quite like the shouty aspect to it...shouty is the new quiet! I was originally going to go with a cover of this, actually, but changed my mind for reasons that will become clear later...

whodathunkit wrote:3. Another big fuzzy indie cut. Multi-vocals way back in the mix remind me of the Polyphonic Spree.

This is Coming Home Tonight by Great Thunder, from their second album, the faintly-ridiculously 30-track long "Groovy Kinda Love" (rest assured, nothing to do with Phil Collins). Haven't picked up on the Polyphonic in there, I'll need to go back and give that another listen.

whodathunkit wrote:4. "You look like world-wide Armageddon" announces a soulful black voice and a rather lovely floaty instrumental starts. Heavy on the flute and congas. Short but sweet.

"Expanding Dub" by the very caucasian Bill Callahan :D I can see how you may have reached that conclusion though, as this is from the dub reworking of his Dream River album. Well worth picking up if you're a fan.

whodathunkit wrote:5. Whiney female vocals. Not much song. Sounds like the Magnetic Fields on an off day. Worst guitar solo ever :D .

Now, in my original lost reply, I very nearly lost all hope for you until I checked the tracklisting and realised you weren't referring to the next track - so consider yourself off the hook :wink:. This is Ascension by I Break Horses, off their most recent album Chairoscuro. Ok, fair enough, we'll call that one a miss. Is the guitar solo really that bad? I'll need to check up on that :D

whodathunkit wrote:6. Another girley, tons of echo again but much better. Nice whoosy feel to the track and some gorgeous synths. Loved this one.

aka the track in which you showed that you are truly a person of fine taste. This is Alligator by LA's Winter, from their Summer Singles...err, single. I first heard this last year and I don't think there's been a week go by since where it hasn't been played round Chez Coo. You can pick it up for free/name-your-price on their Bandcamp site, along with some of their previous singles : http://samirawinter.bandcamp.com/

whodathunkit wrote:7. Another okay song touched up with some lovely synth figures and much better for it.

And now, ladies and gentlemen, we are into the section correctly referred to by the right honourable Whodathunkit as "dour Scottish indie" :D This is Edinburgh's Plastic Animals with "Pizarnik". A cracking hazy delight, this. Probably not entirely representative of previous material, but more recent excursions have hinted at going down this route. Can't wait for an album to see the light of day.

whodathunkit wrote:8. Nice bit of pizzicato at the start of this. Quite a pleasant song from someone I suspect of being Scottish.

Spot on - this is Adam Stafford and "Ghostly Arms", from his Imaginary Walls Collapse album which was released on Edinburgh's Song By Toad label. I very nearly replaced this with a single of his from last year, "Vanishing Tanks", which also features on the album (you can stream the whole lot at http://kingfisherbluez.bandcamp.com/alb ... s-collapse), but there's something about this track, especially when it fades quite nicely into...

whodathunkit wrote:9. More singer/songwriter stuff. Lovely mandolin bubbling away under a tuneful ditty. As with so much on this mix, I'm enjoying it but not feeling it.

Going no further than round the corner and down the street from me for this one, this is Edinburgh's Withered Hand, who's beginning to make a name for himself outside of Scotland now. This is the title track from his new album, New Gods (http://witheredhand.bandcamp.com/album/new-gods-lp), which is worth every bit of the unanimous praise it seems to have been getting recently. I nearly went for the more upbeat King Of Hollywood, but this is by far my favourite on the album. He's started playing with a full band recently (and I mean full, there's around nine of them!) which naturally has fleshed out his sound a lot...hasn't been to everyone's taste though, a lot of hipsters have been choking on their artisan coffees now that he's "sold out" and isn't playing solo these days :D

whodathunkit wrote:10. A bit more swagger to this one. Rather dark little song from another Scottish voice which appears to be called "I Hope You Die". I'm trying to avoid using the word "dour". :D

Aaand finally...well, you're right to use words like dour and dark, as this is Edinburgh's (yeah, I know) Meursault, who aren't exactly known for their happy singalong three minute pop songs. In their defence though, this is a cover of the Magnetic Fields' "No Children" (hence the reason for replacing their Wolf Parade cover with the original earlier) from their recent The Organ Grinder's Monkey album, which was the result of a Kickstarter campaign to fund their shot at SXSW this year and a subsequent US mini-tour. A collection of covers and re-records of some of their previous tracks, without a hint of keeping their cash to themselves and paying backing bands in "hugs and beer" :wink:

And there you have it. Glad you found some things to enjoy in there! There's things worth further investigation, especially the Withered Hand and Adam Stafford, should you feel so inclined.

Nick Danger

Postby Nick Danger » 27 Apr 2014, 20:25

I became the recipient this month to a mix meant for someone else but I have really enjoyed it and I wouldn't have known it wasn't done for me. Some of the songs on the sendspace download were labeled so some of the mystery was taken away but it doesn't really make that big a difference. Label or not most of this was new to me and I wouldn't have guessed it. I liked almost all of it and there were some real standouts.

(1) Done by a group called the Tube Tops this was an enjoyable slice of indie pop/rock that went down easy but wasn't really a mix standout. I like it but not as much as most of the rest.

(2) The Ikettes with a great little R & B number. I have heard cuts by them before but not this one. I know they were Ike Turner's girl singers and were pretty much screwed over and underused by him. I like this a lot. I will have to investigate what albums of theirs are available.

(3) A cover of the Temptations The Way You Do The Things You Do. Done well with a lot of feeling and energy and almost as good as the original. Good selection.

(4) The group sounds familiar but I can't place them or even the era. Layered production with effects, a good track that runs maybe a little long but enjoyable nonetheless. Not my ususal sort of thing but I liked it more with each play.

(5) This is great, the Chambers Brothers with All Strung Out. Great song, I liked this a lot. I don't remember ever hearing it before but I've only had one CB album in my life. Another great selection.

(6) This is right up my all-girl pop punk alley. A real highlight of the mix, I love this sort of thing. I am really curious about the reveal on this and will probably buy whatever album this is from.

(7) Familiar sounding, 80's new wavish, I don't like this as well but part of that is that it follows two outstanding cuts. Not bad but not my kind of thing.

(8) Good funk tune, from a group I never heard of but it is a good song. It's amazing the funk jewels you can find from these obscure groups. I'm a funk fan and am always looking for stuff like this. Good one.

(9) Labeled as Be Bop Deluxe, I have heard these guys before but not this tune. Kind of British art rock, done well, but not a favorite. Maybe it's my American ears. Again, not bad at all but I probably wouldn't listen to an album of this.

(10) Labeled as the Whatt Four it sounds like 60's era psych rock which is not a bad thing to me. I really like this sort of thing. Well executed. They probably don't have any full albums but if they do I might have to look for it. Thanks for including this.

(11) Proggy instrumentation of a recent vintage I would guess. I don't listen to a lot of synth but this isn't bad. Don't know if I could do an album but this proved itself to be a grower on repeated listens.

(12) Another modern sounding song, more pop/rock than anything else. I also liked this one the more I heard it. I think it's the modern layered production that I don't listen to a lot that throws me more than the players or the song.

(13) This was labeled the Forresters who also sound like a pretty recent vintage. A good song, I like the horn accents and the general production on this. This one and the previous track (Love Like Rain?) are two I might investigate further.

(14) Townes Van Zandt "Standin'." I've just gotten into TVZ the last couple of years and I keep coming across great tunes like this. His best stuff is really good but I didn't really connect with him until relatively recently. I've mostly been listening to his boots so this is a bigger band than what I've heard. Good one.

(15) This is one of the few I would have guessed, labeled or not. That distinctive voice can only be Bobby Gentry. The first few listens this sounded really close to her big hit but I came to see the individual charm of this song. It might be time to check out some of her albums.

Thanks mixer for an enjoyable listen. I will be looking forward to the reveal and I'm sure that, once again, I will be giving Amazon some more of my money. Good job.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 28 Apr 2014, 13:44

Hi Nick, glad you enjoyed a lot of this mix! Sorry about the titles on the tunes, I tried to rename them but something obviously didn't work. I'll be back in the next day or so with your 'reveal', cheers.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 02 May 2014, 12:19

First off, apologies to all for being so late. Always something else coming up. Will do better in the future.
Dear mixer, here’s that long awaited review.
01. Pure and straight Country. One man, his guitar and a female backing. This is not my speciality but it sounds old and authentic. Yeah, good start.
02. Brutal change of pace to Johnny Winters era Muddy Waters. Absolutely love this and Winter’s done good things here.
03. This is Lay down Sally but not the Clapton version. Love this singer better to be honest. Has a smooth Country sound.
04. My favorite of this mix. A bit doomy, country rootsy. Love this. Called Angeline? But not the Ian Hunter song. Great, just great. Spooky middle section too.
05. Wild rockabilly. Is that Brian Setzer? I have a feeling I know this one. Good choice.
06. That’s definitely a Los Lobos voice. These guys can do no wrong with me. Good rockin’ tune also.
07. An acoustic rocker and a rather novelty-ish tune. Not really for me.
08. Jazzy blues tune with a rolling piano and slide. Very good. I’m thinking Howe Gelb with the Band of Blacky Ranchette perhaps?
09. Another hit. Slow balladeering type tune with heavy steel. Great voice, great song. More please.
10. Another brutal change of pace. Rather heavy rocker but a curious song. I’m curious too.
11. Fast country tune and a lady singer. The first on this mix. And she can’t stay sober apparently.
12. Mid paced rocker of the kind I can see Delaney & Bonnie do. That kind of groove.
13. Back to acoustic guitars now. Fast paced, good singer.
14. More acoustic but slower. Judging from the voice I’d say Elliot Murphy.
15. Definitely Country Soul. Piano, organ, another winner.
All in all a great selection of tracks. There’s only two (1 and 7) I didn’t like so much. Otherwise top marks from me. Thank you for this.
As a mix it sometimes went through brutal changes from one genre to another but that’s only a very minor complaint. Top marks!
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 03 May 2014, 09:23

Walk In My Shadow wrote:First off, apologies to all for being so late. Always something else coming up. Will do better in the future.
Dear mixer, here’s that long awaited review.

This was from me Yves, if you hadn't guessed. You certainly aren't the hardest person for me to mix for :D

01. Pure and straight Country. One man, his guitar and a female backing. This is not my speciality but it sounds old and authentic. Yeah, good start.

This was from the album where three modern day greats of bluegrass got together, Del MCoury, Doc Watson and Mac Wiseman

02. Brutal change of pace to Johnny Winters era Muddy Waters. Absolutely love this and Winter’s done good things here.

Yeah Muddy live with Mannish Boy. Figured this one was not exactly high risk :D

03. This is Lay down Sally but not the Clapton version. Love this singer better to be honest. Has a smooth Country sound.

The singer being Ray Benson. Lay Down Sally done Asleep At The Wheel style

04. My favorite of this mix. A bit doomy, country rootsy. Love this. Called Angeline? But not the Ian Hunter song. Great, just great. Spooky middle section too.

I love this band but they are still not as well known as they should be even among aficionados of this kind of stuff. I'm pretty sure yiou will have had a tracl or two from them before on my various mixes/JU Comps. The band is Bellwether

05. Wild rockabilly. Is that Brian Setzer? I have a feeling I know this one. Good choice.

Setzer in his dreams wishes he could cook up a storm like this. From the latest album by the Reverend Horton Heat

06. That’s definitely a Los Lobos voice. These guys can do no wrong with me. Good rockin’ tune also.

Sounds like Los Lobos around the time of Colossal Head with that particular Waitsian clatter production that Mitcell Froom and Tchad Blake brought to the party. No surprise then that this is in fact spin off band the Latin Plaboys consisting of the aforementioned Froom and Blake with David Hidalgo and Louie Perez from Los Lobos

07. An acoustic rocker and a rather novelty-ish tune. Not really for me.

Surprised this one didn't grab you. I think it swings like a bastard. Lonnie Donegan

08. Jazzy blues tune with a rolling piano and slide. Very good. I’m thinking Howe Gelb with the Band of Blacky Ranchette perhaps?

No fooling you is there (well not when it comes to Gelb)

09. Another hit. Slow balladeering type tune with heavy steel. Great voice, great song. More please.

I was pleased to see you liked the voice here and also track 13 as both are unusual voices that some might struggle with. I'm with you obviously. Anyway a track by this guy appeared on my very first JU comp which you had a copy of, and now ten years later here's a track of his new album. Jeff Finlin

10. Another brutal change of pace. Rather heavy rocker but a curious song. I’m curious too.

Blues Fat Possum style - Little Freddie King

11. Fast country tune and a lady singer. The first on this mix. And she can’t stay sober apparently.

The singer is actually Norah Jones in her country side band The Little Willies

12. Mid paced rocker of the kind I can see Delaney & Bonnie do. That kind of groove.

Not sure she gets widespread BCB approval but she sure can play and sing - Bonnie Raitt. Neige is probably the only other fan I can think of

13. Back to acoustic guitars now. Fast paced, good singer.

A recent discovery and one of those where I headed back to Amazon to buy up the lot. Earned himself the moniker of the Swedish Dylan this is one guy who performs under the name The Tallest Man On Earth

14. More acoustic but slower. Judging from the voice I’d say Elliot Murphy.

Contemporary US folker Ellis Paul

15. Definitely Country Soul. Piano, organ, another winner.

I recalled you mentioning that you knew this guy when I put this up in NP once, as he appeared on the last Country Soul Revue album. George Soule. This album is made up of Muscle Shoals demo tracks and makes a great companion piece to the recent Dan Penn Fame demos

All in all a great selection of tracks. There’s only two (1 and 7) I didn’t like so much. Otherwise top marks from me. Thank you for this.

Well like I said, if I can't send you a mix and hit the spot most of the time......

As a mix it sometimes went through brutal changes from one genre to another but that’s only a very minor complaint.

I'm a brutal kind of guy :D

Top marks!
You're welcome

1. Mac, Doc and Del - Little Green Valley
2. Muddy Waters - Mannish Boy
3. Asleep At The Wheel - Lay Down Sally
4. Bellwether - Angeline
5. The Reverend Horton Heat - Spooky Boots
6. Band of Blacky Ranchette - Outside an Angel's Reach
7. Lonnie Donegan - Don't You Rock Me Daddy-O
8. Latin Playboys - New Zandu
9. Jeff Finlin - Going Nowhere