December 2013 reviews

Exchange mix CDs with each other.
Duncan

December 2013 reviews

Postby Duncan » 31 Dec 2013, 16:09

It’s a slow day at work so I’m nipping in to Mix Club with hours of December to spare:

1. Cool, weird synth-pop on a budget. I can't quite put my finger on why I like this but I really do. I think that part of it is the 'odd guy alone in his bedroom with a Casio keyboard' amateurish charm that's going on. This makes it quite difficult to date as well. It could have been made at any point of the last 40 years, although I'd probably guess at early 80s. Intriguing stuff.

2. Soft rock time. It's a bit cheesy (particularly the backing vocals) but there's a certain appeal to it, and i do like how clean and shiny all the individual instruments sound. I quite enjoyed it within the context of this mix but I'd probably balk at a full album.

3. Nothing clean and shiny about this one. There's not too much to grab hold of but I like the crispy, tinny drumming and the big OTT guitar wig-outs. A definite grower.

4. This mix is all over the place (in a good way). Jazzy funk time now. This is pretty wild, particularly the 100mph guitar. My feet are getting all shuffly. Great stuff.

5. Choppy, tempo-shifting math rock type thing with the occasional whiff of a wonky blues riff. I'd have been all over this a few years ago but it all just seems a little soulless to me these days. I do still quite like it though, it does seem slightly more playful than things of a similar ilk, and I'm be curious to find out who it is.

6. I quite like this too, it's enjoyable, although the some of the rapping, like the 'Don't stop y'all' hook, is a bit trite.

7. Wow, this one is bizarre. I really dig the squelchy beats but the vocals are fucking mental. Rarely have I been so fascinated by something so terrible. At first I thought that it was just random noises, but every now and then I catch a garbled word that I recognise. Points for boldness, certainly. I don't think that I'd ever want to hear this again, but out of all the tracks on the mix this is the one that I'm most interested in investigating.

8. Laid back Caribbean grooves resting gently upon a relentless electro drum beat. Smashin'.

9. This is fab. Jr Walker style saxy intro, cool vocals, swinging grooves; all the best ingredients for a sweet funk workout.

10. Some twee, lo-fi, jangly, girly indie-pop. I'm a complete sucker for this kind of thing. It sounds very much like Tiger Trap, but I don't think that it can be them because they don't have much in the way of a back catalogue. Whoever it is, it's bloody lovely and I'm looking forward to the reveal.

11. Old school hipperty-hop from back in the days when it was fun. The rapping's daft, but it has a cheeky charm, and you can just picture the great big grin on his face in the recording studio.

12. Some smooth soul. Perhaps a little bit glossy for my tastes, but I do like it overall. It's got a classy arrangement and the vocals are effortlessly cool. I'm almost tempted to say that I recognise the track, or at least the voice, but I can't place it.

13. Another one that's hard to get a handle on. It's difficult to know whether this is a piss-take parody, tongue-in-cheek fun, or deadly serious. It's certainly toe-tappingly jaunty and definitely raises a smile.

14. Smoooooth jazz. A bit backgroundy, but it's certainly not unpleasant. Is it a cover? Every now and then I catch a little teaser of something unidentifiably familiar.

So there we go. Thanks a bunch. Reading back my review, it almost sounds like I didn't enjoy the mix as much as I did, but every track had something to recommend it, and a couple of them confused the shit out of me (in a good way). The randomness of the journey was also great fun. Thanks again.
Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb...

Nick Danger

Re: December 2013 reviews

Postby Nick Danger » 31 Dec 2013, 19:55

Sgt Pepper wrote:It’s a slow day at work so I’m nipping in to Mix Club with hours of December to spare:

Glad you found it entertaining SP. You're a lot younger than me and I wasn't sure what to send you but I found that I do own a subset of stuff that we both could like. That's one of the good things about MC. It made me revisit and discover some of my collection I had neglected.

1. Cool, weird synth-pop on a budget. I can't quite put my finger on why I like this but I really do. I think that part of it is the 'odd guy alone in his bedroom with a Casio keyboard' amateurish charm that's going on. This makes it quite difficult to date as well. It could have been made at any point of the last 40 years, although I'd probably guess at early 80s. Intriguing stuff.

This is John Maus, sometimes keyboard player for Animal Collective and Ariel Pink with one of his solo efforts. I got this (and the later Charmels track) from a couple of Qube's compilations. Thanks Qube! It's not my usual kind of thing but I like it.

2. Soft rock time. It's a bit cheesy (particularly the backing vocals) but there's a certain appeal to it, and i do like how clean and shiny all the individual instruments sound. I quite enjoyed it within the context of this mix but I'd probably balk at a full album.

This is Van Morrison with "Natalia", from his 1978 album Wavelength. Its one of his more obscure tracks but I've always liked it.

3. Nothing clean and shiny about this one. There's not too much to grab hold of but I like the crispy, tinny drumming and the big OTT guitar wig-outs. A definite grower.

This is trash pop, synth garage band Shock Cinema. I don't know much about them. This is the only track of theirs I've ever heard.

4. This mix is all over the place (in a good way). Jazzy funk time now. This is pretty wild, particularly the 100mph guitar. My feet are getting all shuffly. Great stuff.

This is Sharon Jones and the Daptones with "My Man Is A Mean Man". It doesn't appear on a regular album but I got from a label comp. She has such a rich, retro voice. I need to get some of their albums.

5. Choppy, tempo-shifting math rock type thing with the occasional whiff of a wonky blues riff. I'd have been all over this a few years ago but it all just seems a little soulless to me these days. I do still quite like it though, it does seem slightly more playful than things of a similar ilk, and I'm be curious to find out who it is.

Another obscure band from another obscure comp. The band's called Atomic Jefferson and the song is "College Radio". As far as I can tell it's three guys with regular jobs that have fun making weird recordings. Again, I don't think I would have pulled this comp off my shelf if I wasn't looking for material for you. This process is as much an adventure for the mixer as the mixee.

6. I quite like this too, it's enjoyable, although the some of the rapping, like the 'Don't stop y'all' hook, is a bit trite.

"Miracles" - Arrested Development.

7. Wow, this one is bizarre. I really dig the squelchy beats but the vocals are fucking mental. Rarely have I been so fascinated by something so terrible. At first I thought that it was just random noises, but every now and then I catch a garbled word that I recognise. Points for boldness, certainly. I don't think that I'd ever want to hear this again, but out of all the tracks on the mix this is the one that I'm most interested in investigating.

This is someone I'm sure you know - Panda Bear. The track is "Last Night at the Jetty". The studio cut is on his Tomboy album but this is a live version from a Portugal gig. It's a little out there for me but this is actually one of his songs I find the most accessible.

8. Laid back Caribbean grooves resting gently upon a relentless electro drum beat. Smashin'.

This is Sly Dunbar (drums) and Robbie Shakespeare (bass), the Jamaican dub riddim duo extraordinaire with one of their own recordings. These guys have played on literally thousands of tracks.

9. This is fab. Jr Walker style saxy intro, cool vocals, swinging grooves; all the best ingredients for a sweet funk workout.

Good call, it is Jr Walker. I love the track. Underrated band.

10. Some twee, lo-fi, jangly, girly indie-pop. I'm a complete sucker for this kind of thing. It sounds very much like Tiger Trap, but I don't think that it can be them because they don't have much in the way of a back catalogue. Whoever it is, it's bloody lovely and I'm looking forward to the reveal.

You've got a good ear. It is the former lead singer of Tiger Trap, Rose Melberg with her latest all-girl band called Brave Irene. I'm a big Tiger Trap fan and have followed her throughout her career with the Softies, Go Sailor, and solo albums.

11. Old school hipperty-hop from back in the days when it was fun. The rapping's daft, but it has a cheeky charm, and you can just picture the great big grin on his face in the recording studio.

I don't listen to much rap but I've always liked this. It's "The Humpty Dance" from the Digital Underground. They almost exclusively used P-Funk samples. This was a hit and they hired the young Tupac for the touring group to promote this. His breakthrough came on the next DU album.

12. Some smooth soul. Perhaps a little bit glossy for my tastes, but I do like it overall. It's got a classy arrangement and the vocals are effortlessly cool. I'm almost tempted to say that I recognise the track, or at least the voice, but I can't place it.

This is a very obscure soul single from Stax/Volt background girl group The Charmels from the 70s. I just find it magically charming. The lead vocal sells it.

13. Another one that's hard to get a handle on. It's difficult to know whether this is a piss-take parody, tongue-in-cheek fun, or deadly serious. It's certainly toe-tappingly jaunty and definitely raises a smile.

This is gypsy punk group Gogol Bordello. All of their stuff seems to be like this. Accordians, fiddles, humor, over the top vocals. They must have had a huge coffee pot and free speed in that studio.

14. Smoooooth jazz. A bit backgroundy, but it's certainly not unpleasant. Is it a cover? Every now and then I catch a little teaser of something unidentifiably familiar.

This is sax player Grover Washington, Jr. with his signature song "Mister Magic." I generally hate smooth jazz but this is an exception for me.

I thought you would be a tough recipient for me but I'm glad you generally liked it. I've been listening to it a lot so it seems that each month I'll be making a mix for two people.

Tracklist

1. Bennington - John Maus
2. Natalia - Van Morrison
3. Breathe Again - Shock Cinema
4. My Man Is A Mean Man - Sharon Jones and the Daptones
5. College Radio - Atomic Jefferson
6. Miracles - Arrested Development
7. Last Night At The Jetty - Panda Bear
8. Steppin' Out - Sly and Robbie
9. Pucker Up Buttercup - Jr. Walker and the All Stars
10. Bank Holiday - Brave Irene
11. The Humpty Dance - The Digital Underground
12. As Long As I Got You - The Charmels
13. My Companjero - Gogol Bordello
14. Mister Magic - Grover Washington, Jr.

Duncan

Postby Duncan » 02 Jan 2014, 09:26

Grand, cheers again. Panda Bear seems obvious now that you've said it, but I've never heard him do anything quite like that before. I'm off now to check out some Brave Irene, and i may finally also get around to buying a Sharon Jones album, which is something I've been meaning to do for a number of years. Ta.
Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb...

Nick Danger

Postby Nick Danger » 11 Jan 2014, 18:59

I received a very entertaining mix this month that pushed a lot of my musical buttons, country, blues, Americana, a female jazz singer and more. There was only one track that I couldn't connect with and quite a few real gems that will result in me buying a few albums.

Track 1 - 50's style, Clarence Henry type rock/rockabilly cut. It's probably a more recent retro effort but might be period. Great stuff. It really gets the mix's motor running. Good start.

Track 2 - This is the only cut I didn't connect with. Usually I like female singers singing a in foreign language but there's something about the production or the song itself that was off. Not terrible, mind you.

Track 3 - I recognize this voice but not the song. It's Buck Owens with a really nice song I don't know. I have a couple of his comp's but I really need to get a few of his regular albums if I'm missing out on gems like this. I like this a lot.

Track 4 - A country/singer-songwriter song that is really nice. Good song, good arrangement with nice tasteful strings and guitar. It lopes along with a relaxed feel. Good selection.

Track 5 - Another voice I recognize - Roy Orbison. I don't know this song either. Like with Buck I only have comps so I need to get some of his albums. I really like this. Roy's voice is a one of a kind and the song is great. Thanks for including this.

Track 6 - The pace picks up a little now with a story song. It reminds me of the Big Bad John/Jimmy Dean type of epic story. Very entertaining. Tasty guitar and good drum part. I'm sure I've never heard this.

Track 7 - Nice traditional country or Americana song. Pleasant if not as much of a favorite as some of the other tracks. Once again the voice sounds familiar. The mix is flowing well.

Track 8 - This is a gooder. More modern country without losing it's roots. Nice arrangement and instrumentation complete with a few handclaps. Really nice fiddle playing and interesting lyrics. Good stuff.

Track 9 - Now we're breaking things up with a little swing/bop. I know the song but I've only heard the Louis Jordan version and I don't think this is him. Good rendition, good energy and true to the original. I like this.

Track 10 - This has to be Blossom Dearie. I own a lot of female jazz singer cds but none by her. I've heard her before and that breathy, girly voice is kind of unique. A true songstress. I enjoy this more with every play. I don't know if a whole album would be as enjoyable but this is nice.

Track 11 - More modern girl singing now, very pleasant. It lost a little appeal on repeated listens but still a good selection. I'm very curious about who this is.

Track 12 - I love the Blues, the older the better. This sounds like early Muddy in a live performance. It's probably not him but nevertheless, this is outstanding! Great choice! A classic blues arrangement. I like this a lot.

Track 13 - This is a real highlight of the mix. I will be buying something from this singer. A traditional style female singer but probably somewhat modern. I love the tone and timbre of her voice. You don't hear stuff like this very much anymore. This is tremendous! Banjo and band in general is great too!

Track 14 - More great Blues, sounds like Memphis Blues this time with another voice I should know. I may even own this. Good stuff. Singer cruises along smoothly but has a gritty gear he can go to. I'm always up for stuff like this.

Track 15 - This is a pleasant singer-songwriter song that is nice but the real star here is the mandolin. I'm a sucker for good mandolin playing. I like this.

Track 16 - I like this too. It has a British, almost baroque pop feel to it combined with a choir backing. I think I've heard this before but I don't have any idea who it is. Nice finishing song if a little short.

Thanks so much for an outstanding mix. I'm sure I will continue to listen to it again in the future and will certainly be seeking out some of these artists when I know who they are. Excellent job!

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 12 Jan 2014, 01:32

Nick Danger wrote:I received a very entertaining mix this month that pushed a lot of my musical buttons, country, blues, Americana, a female jazz singer and more. There was only one track that I couldn't connect with and quite a few real gems that will result in me buying a few albums.

This is why I keep doing this. Some months you don't quite get it right, but then again other times you judge it right and it's a real buzz. Always tricky with the relative newbies but when I saw your first mix, it struck me that I could have easily created that myself, so figured I was on safe ground.

Track 1 - 50's style, Clarence Henry type rock/rockabilly cut. It's probably a more recent retro effort but might be period. Great stuff. It really gets the mix's motor running. Good start.

A bit later. Some raw blues from the Fat Possum label, home of the greats Burnside and Kimbrough. This is the late great T Model Ford

Track 2 - This is the only cut I didn't connect with. Usually I like female singers singing a in foreign language but there's something about the production or the song itself that was off. Not terrible, mind you.

Well I took a punt here as I'm a sucker for a bit of township jive. The Mahotella Queens

Track 3 - I recognize this voice but not the song. It's Buck Owens with a really nice song I don't know. I have a couple of his comp's but I really need to get a few of his regular albums if I'm missing out on gems like this. I like this a lot.

Yep Buck. This was a random pick from the first Bear Family box set. Ridiculously expensive but still my preferred way of gathering this kind of stuff (completist that I am)

Track 4 - A country/singer-songwriter song that is really nice. Good song, good arrangement with nice tasteful strings and guitar. It lopes along with a relaxed feel. Good selection.

Former member of The Plimsouls, Peter Case

Track 5 - Another voice I recognize - Roy Orbison. I don't know this song either. Like with Buck I only have comps so I need to get some of his albums. I really like this. Roy's voice is a one of a kind and the song is great. Thanks for including this.

I usually have a few Mix Club "go to's" and Orbison is certainly one. This is a bit later than his earlier hits and is from the series of releases covering all his albums from 65 to 73 released in 5 volumes each with two or three albums at a time. Less hits but as you say his is one of those voices you could listen to any time and it's great sometimes to hear some less familiar material.

Track 6 - The pace picks up a little now with a story song. It reminds me of the Big Bad John/Jimmy Dean type of epic story. Very entertaining. Tasty guitar and good drum part. I'm sure I've never heard this.

A fairly recent release from Dave Alvin

Track 7 - Nice traditional country or Americana song. Pleasant if not as much of a favorite as some of the other tracks. Once again the voice sounds familiar. The mix is flowing well.

Chris Smither, who has put out loads of albums over the years but is still relatively unknown.

Track 8 - This is a gooder. More modern country without losing it's roots. Nice arrangement and instrumentation complete with a few handclaps. Really nice fiddle playing and interesting lyrics. Good stuff.

Thought this one might be a risk, I like this kind of lo fi stuff but I guess some would just think it whiny. Clem Snide

Track 9 - Now we're breaking things up with a little swing/bop. I know the song but I've only heard the Louis Jordan version and I don't think this is him. Good rendition, good energy and true to the original. I like this.

Yeah I have the Louis Jordan version. I even once saw Van do this live with the Caledonia Soul Orchestra. This is actually a very early cut from James Brown.

Track 10 - This has to be Blossom Dearie. I own a lot of female jazz singer cds but none by her. I've heard her before and that breathy, girly voice is kind of unique. A true songstress. I enjoy this more with every play. I don't know if a whole album would be as enjoyable but this is nice.

This is from a recent release of the complete Verve albums (6 albums on 3 CDs) This was dirt cheap - £7 over here. Only an import stateside, but I checked and Amazon Marketplace sellers have copies for $8. I know what you mean about the whole album thing but believe me when you want to play something to just mellow out with this really hits the spot.

Track 11 - More modern girl singing now, very pleasant. It lost a little appeal on repeated listens but still a good selection. I'm very curious about who this is.

The Sundays. I just love Harriet Wheeler's voice. Some might call it Cocteau Twins lite but I love both bands in their own way. Only ever made three albums from 90-97 but I go back to them all a lot

Track 12 - I love the Blues, the older the better. This sounds like early Muddy in a live performance. It's probably not him but nevertheless, this is outstanding! Great choice! A classic blues arrangement. I like this a lot.

Well I picked up on your inclusion of Buddy Guy, so figured Chicago blues was a safe bet. Robert Nighthawk - This was actually recorded live on Maxwell Street[ /color]

Track 13 - This is a real highlight of the mix. I will be buying something from this singer. A traditional style female singer but probably somewhat modern. I love the tone and timbre of her voice. You don't hear stuff like this very much anymore. This is tremendous! Banjo and band in general is great too!

[color=#FF0000]Well after Emmylou paved the way and before Shania Twain and Taylor Swift et al watered things down for chart success, female country singers were everywhere. This one is the one I still consider to be one of the picks of the bunch - Kelly Willis

Track 14 - More great Blues, sounds like Memphis Blues this time with another voice I should know. I may even own this. Good stuff. Singer cruises along smoothly but has a gritty gear he can go to. I'm always up for stuff like this.

Actually Chicago again. From the Chess Chartbusters series (obviously following Motown's lead). Great value CDs packed with all the great Chess stuff you'd expect. This is Little Milton

Track 15 - This is a pleasant singer-songwriter song that is nice but the real star here is the mandolin. I'm a sucker for good mandolin playing. I like this.

I also picked up on your inclusion of a Townes track. This doesn't sound exactly similar, but both guys could break your heart with the simplest of songs and both died it seemed just as their cult reputation was gathering some momentum. This is Mickey Newbury perhaps best known for the original version of American Trilogy covered by Elvis

Track 16 - I like this too. It has a British, almost baroque pop feel to it combined with a choir backing. I think I've heard this before but I don't have any idea who it is. Nice finishing song if a little short.

Again picking up on your mix I noticed the Left Banke and this has that baroque feel. I've used this track before and I love it. It's actually The Love Generation better known for Sunshine pop

Thanks so much for an outstanding mix. I'm sure I will continue to listen to it again in the future and will certainly be seeking out some of these artists when I know who they are. Excellent job!

You're welcome

1. T Model Ford - Leave My Heart Alone
2. The Mahotella Queens - Vusumuzi
3. Buck Owens - The King of Fools
4. Peter Case - Beyond The Blues
5. Roy Orbison - Here Comes The Rain Baby
6. Dave Alvin - Run Conejo Run
7. Chris Smither - Leave The Light On
8. Clem Snide - Exercise
9. James Brown - Caldonia
10. Blossom Dearie - Once Upon A Summer Time
11. The Sundays - Homeward
12. Robert Nighthawk - the Time Have Come
13. Kelly Willis - You Can't Take It With You
14.Little Milton - We're Gonna Make It
15. Mickey Newbury - One More Song of Hearts And Flowers
16. The Love Generation - Leaves Grow Gray

We're way past rhubarb

Nick Danger

Postby Nick Danger » 12 Jan 2014, 17:32

Thanks for the quick reveal Paul. I just ordered three Kelly Willis used cds from an Amazon Marketplace seller for a penny apiece plus shipping, around $12 total. Still shopping around for a couple of other things from your mix.

whodathunkit

Postby whodathunkit » 21 Jan 2014, 18:48

Quick note for my mixer. Loved it but I may be a while getting round to review. I've indulged in the traditional old bloke's winter pursuit of falling over and breaking my collarbone :( . Extensive typing is a bit of a pain
at present. Will get round to it as healing proceeds.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 31 Jan 2014, 16:02

Ahem. Apologies are in order.

After playing my December mix cd 4-5 times I somehow mislaid it.

I just found it again and will be reporting shortly.

Sorry all!
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 08 Feb 2014, 21:57

Well we are running late aren't we. I was I think the last to receive but not it seems the last to review.
Disc from TG via dropbox which was not without its problems. Half of the tracks seemed to preserve there taging and identify themselves when played, the remainder needed renaming from "1" to "1.MP3" for example and then gave an error when attempting to play but let you continue still and played it OK.

Hence some of the review as per below is based on knowing what I was listening to. Anyway some highlights and lowlights (once or twice the mix veered into territory I didn't particularly enjoy going) but a great track was always just round the corner, so it worked fine for me as a mix

1. Big crunchy guitars and a vocal I know but can’t place. Like this. On repeated listens it reminds me of Lloyd Cole which is what I said on one of your previous mixes and it was I think Syeve Wynn.
2. Everything about track 1 applies here. The voice sounds familiar and I like it.
3. It tells me that this is Lou Reed, although hopefully I might have guessed this one, although on current form that’s by no means certain. I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with Lou. Nothing to do with his reputation as a person as God knows John Martyn could be a total arsehole and I love just about all of his stuff. Some Lou connects, most doesn’t. This is somewhere in the middle of the range. Liked it well enough but wasn’t knocked out.
4. Detroit, of whom I know nothing. Not really my thing. A bit too metallic for my liking albeit the lighter end of the spectrum but it needs to be a lot bluesier a la ZZ Top or it can get away with a cheesy tongue in cheek approach. This alas just came and went.
5. This starts off in heavy vein too, but this one ticks all of the boxes not least by being Steve Earle.
6. Well I guess the commenst on 4 didn’t bode well for this. It tells me it’s Alice Cooper and I hated it. I can listen to Schools Out or Elected but even there nothing persuades me to dig any deeper. Despite rocking out a bit in the chorus, this was for the most part a tuneless dirge. Sorry.
7. Back on (the powerpop) track here though. Good stuff.
8. And on which front, this is the kind of stuff that really ticks my boxes. Less chunky and bigger on the melody . I love Fountains of Wayne
9. Garage vibe with a bit of mad guitar. A bit of a grower
10. Another one that identifies itself. The Turtles, I have quite a few of their albums, and although I liked this one I prefer the more upbeat tone of the better known stuff.
11. Nilsson and Coconut. I bought all of the reissue series a while back and keep meaning to give them another spin, so thanks for the reminder.
12. Ernie Freeman Combo it says. Big organ sound, nice groove.
13. The last one that identifies itself. Joss Stone. She seems to get a raw deal at times. I have a track which I’ve used on Mix Club of her duetting on a Raphael Saadiq album which is great. Nothing wrong with this at all.
14. Now this is just awesome. This is the very epitome of my kind of thing. Heavy (really heavy) blues style version of a spiritual Jesus On The Mainline.
15. I know we share common ground here on the jive and blues shouters front, so you probably knew this was a safe bet and it’s a particularly fine example of the genre to boot.
16. English by the sound of it vocal. Draws on a number of styles but a pop song at heart. I can imagine Nick Lowe doing stuff like this although not him. Pleasant rather than spectacular. Actually I might like this more than I’m letting on but there’s something about the accent that somehow annoys me.

Thanks Tom, I certainly want to know about 14 and 15
We're way past rhubarb

TG

Postby TG » 12 Feb 2014, 19:03

The Fish wrote:Well we are running late aren't we. I was I think the last to receive but not it seems the last to review.
Disc from TG via dropbox which was not without its problems. Half of the tracks seemed to preserve there taging and identify themselves when played, the remainder needed renaming from "1" to "1.MP3" for example and then gave an error when attempting to play but let you continue still and played it OK.

Okay, I am way the hell late this month (or period or whatever we call these passages of Mix Club time these days) and my apologies to all. I recently left my job of 20 years and started my own business which takes up huge amounts of time and I have a house about to go into escrow and I've had several friends in and out of various hospitals and things have been a bit hectic. I do think, however, that we should go back to a more fixed period - monthly or whatever - so that we have a reason to get this moving. There's nothing like a deadline to get me moving.

Also, it seems we should find an alternative to Dropbox or find out a way to make it work better. The Dropboxed mix that I received this time from Whodathunkit came without a hitch and without a reveal so it can be done. We should probably get that method broadcast so that we can try and use it. I do like it better than mailing CDs but only if it will work just as well.

Hence some of the review as per below is based on knowing what I was listening to. Anyway some highlights and lowlights (once or twice the mix veered into territory I didn't particularly enjoy going) but a great track was always just round the corner, so it worked fine for me as a mix

Paul, you got a mix of things that I had been playing the hell out of at that time. Mostly tracks that I went back to for one reason or other and kept playing and finding new things to love about. Sorry it didn't really work as well for you. It went a little something like this -

1. Big crunchy guitars and a vocal I know but can’t place. Like this. On repeated listens it reminds me of Lloyd Cole which is what I said on one of your previous mixes and it was I think Syeve Wynn.

And it is Steve Wynn again this time. Tell Me When It's Over by the Dream Syndicate. This is from their first LP and this was the version of the band that I used to see live a lot around town and they were so great. Karl Precoda was an amazing guitarist and Steve Wynn was writing pretty damn good songs for someone at the beginning of his career.

2. Everything about track 1 applies here. The voice sounds familiar and I like it.

More early L.A. Punk Rock. This time it's The Plugz doing Achin'. Another band that used to play out a lot and were always good. This is from their first 45.

3. It tells me that this is Lou Reed, although hopefully I might have guessed this one, although on current form that’s by no means certain. I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with Lou. Nothing to do with his reputation as a person as God knows John Martyn could be a total arsehole and I love just about all of his stuff. Some Lou connects, most doesn’t. This is somewhere in the middle of the range. Liked it well enough but wasn’t knocked out.

A B-side from the Coney Island Baby period called Nowhere At All. It's now available on the remastered CD and I got hooked on it all over again when I picked up the CD.

4. Detroit, of whom I know nothing. Not really my thing. A bit too metallic for my liking albeit the lighter end of the spectrum but it needs to be a lot bluesier a la ZZ Top or it can get away with a cheesy tongue in cheek approach. This alas just came and went.

Detroit (featuring Mitch Ryder) doing the Velvet's Rock & Roll. This was a song that got me through a lot of those pre-punk days of boredom. And it's a song you can hardly hurt. It fit well after the Lou Reed song too, I thought.

5. This starts off in heavy vein too, but this one ticks all of the boxes not least by being Steve Earle.

The Revolution Starts Now by Mr. Earle. I put this on another recent Mix Club mix and explained then that outside of the greatness of the track it means so much to me because it came out around the time of Obama's first election to the Presidency and it was so amazing that we (the U.S.) actually managed to elect a black man to that office. I never thought I'd see it in my lifetime and yet here it was. The revolution didn't really start; at least not the way that Steve was referring to, but we accomplished something that I didn't think possible and this song summed it up neatly. A true favorite of mine.

6. Well I guess the commenst on 4 didn’t bode well for this. It tells me it’s Alice Cooper and I hated it. I can listen to Schools Out or Elected but even there nothing persuades me to dig any deeper. Despite rocking out a bit in the chorus, this was for the most part a tuneless dirge. Sorry.

This song popped up on my Ipod one day and it sounded so good that I kept going back to it over and over. It's Desperado from the Killer LP and I really like it and have since I was a teen. Sorry it didn't work for you.

7. Back on (the powerpop) track here though. Good stuff.

A couple of months ago there was a thread in which an alarming (I thought) number of people mentioned that they had never heard Sour Milk Sea by Jackie Lomax and I was really flabbergasted. It's one of the top five Apple Records releases not by the Fabs and I just assumed everyone knew it. It's a George tune and the band is Lomax, Harrison, McCartney, Starr, Clapton and Nicky Hopkins. Another real favorite of mine. I put together a mix once of a fake final Beatles album with tracks from the early solo 45s and LPs and included this just because it's three of them and it's as good as almost any of the early solo Fabs tracks.

8. And on which front, this is the kind of stuff that really ticks my boxes. Less chunky and bigger on the melody . I love Fountains of Wayne

From their Odds & Sods type release called Out of State Plates it is the FOW doing ELO's Can't Get It Out Of My Head. The only thing wrong with it is it pisses me off that I never thought to cover this song in any of the bands I was in.

9. Garage vibe with a bit of mad guitar. A bit of a grower

The Seeds doing Can't Seem To Make You Mine. I heard this in some TV show or movie and started playing it incessantly. One of my fave 60s garage rockers.

10. Another one that identifies itself. The Turtles, I have quite a few of their albums, and although I liked this one I prefer the more upbeat tone of the better known stuff.

It is The Turtles doing a cover of the Byrds' You Showed Me. A hit in the late 60s and a better version than The Byrds managed.

11. Nilsson and Coconut. I bought all of the reissue series a while back and keep meaning to give them another spin, so thanks for the reminder.

This too showed up in some TV show and had me running to the turntable to hear it again (and again).

12. Ernie Freeman Combo it says. Big organ sound, nice groove.

I recently found a couple of Swingin' Bachelor Pad type Lounge comps at a Thrift store and this was on one of them. I might have chosen a number of other tracks off of them but this one seemed to fit. It's called Rock House.

13. The last one that identifies itself. Joss Stone. She seems to get a raw deal at times. I have a track which I’ve used on Mix Club of her duetting on a Raphael Saadiq album which is great. Nothing wrong with this at all.

Fell In Love With A Boy from her Soul Sessions CD. It's a cover of a White Stripes track (which, of course uses the other gender) and it pisses on the original from stories above it.

14. Now this is just awesome. This is the very epitome of my kind of thing. Heavy (really heavy) blues style version of a spiritual Jesus On The Mainline.

I'll bet you never would have guessed that this is Aerosmith. And I'll bet that if you listen to it again you'll wonder how you didn't recognize Steven Tyler's voice the first time around. From their covers CD called Honkin" With Bobo. It's the best thing they've done in decades.

15. I know we share common ground here on the jive and blues shouters front, so you probably knew this was a safe bet and it’s a particularly fine example of the genre to boot.

This is a track from just a couple of years ago called Say You Love Me. It's a guy named Carlos Guitarlos from legendary LA 80s band Top Jimmy & the Rhythm Pigs. He's on guitar (as you might have guessed from his name) with Gene Taylor (The Blasters and a hundred other bands) on piano. Carlos' story is a harrowing tale of homelessness, sickness and substance abuse but he seems to have emerged from it relatively unscathed. He's released two solo CDs that are well worth a listen.

16. English by the sound of it vocal. Draws on a number of styles but a pop song at heart. I can imagine Nick Lowe doing stuff like this although not him. Pleasant rather than spectacular. Actually I might like this more than I’m letting on but there’s something about the accent that somehow annoys me.

You can't let Ray Davies annoy you. He can't help his accent. From his solo Lp from 2006 this is a real treat to me. The best record he made in ages and well worth searching out. This track is called The Tourist and I think it's great. His trademark humor and some great guitar riffage puts this right in my wheelhouse.

So, there you go. Can we get back on track for March? If so, I'll be way more timely. I promise!

Thanks Tom, I certainly want to know about 14 and 15

Tell Me When It's Over Dream Syndicate
Achin' The Plugz
Nowhere At All Lou Reed
Rock 'n' Roll Detroit
The Revolution Starts Now Steve Earle
Desperado Alice Cooper
Sour Milk Sea Jackie Lomax
Can't Get It Out Of My Head [Live] Fountains Of Wayne
Can't Seem To Make You Mine The Seeds
You Showed Me The Turtles
Coconut Harry Nilsson
Rock House Ernie Freeman Combo
Fell In Love With A Boy Joss Stone
Jesus Is On The Main Line Aerosmith
Say You Love Me Carlos Guitarlos
The Tourist Ray Davies
Last edited by TG on 13 Feb 2014, 12:29, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

TG

Postby TG » 12 Feb 2014, 19:54

All of my excuses and apologies are in the previous reveal post so I won't repeat them here. I will say I got a pretty swell mix this month and I'm anxious to find out what a couple of these tracks are. Not anxious enough to get this done any sooner but life is what it is. This is what I received -

1) Current sounding punkish thing that reminds me of The Mooney Suzuki or The Dirtbombs. A fine, fine song and a reminder that Mix Club mixes should always start out this high energy. I would (and likely will) buy this.

2) This pretty much has to be Screamin' Jay Hawkins. If it isn't, it's someone just as wacked out as he was doing a pretty good imitation of him.

3) I thought this was going to be someone doing a cover of Memphis. It certainly borrows liberally from there. But no worry, it's a neat little percolating track with a good band and a good hook. A winner.

4) Gotta be Memphis Minnie, right? I have a couple of CD comps of her but I don't think this track is on either of them. A little bit of lascivious fun centered around barbecue. She's selling it and if you want her meat you have to go to her house at twelve. I'd have gone. But then, I really like barbecue.

5) A sort of Jordanaires style Gospel that just doesn't do much for me. I'm not a huge Gospel fan - a bit of Staples Singes or Sister Rosetta Tharpe is more my speed. I don't think I listened to this after the first listen. Sorry.

6) I like this. It's sort of a modern day Bill Withers thang. This is another one I'd likely buy.

7) I know the voice is Lou Rawls - he's pretty unmistakable. This is one of the best tracks I've ever heard by him. Great arrangement and a little more guitar than I might have thought I'd hear on a Lou Rawls track. Another one I'd like to know more about.

8) A latin soul jazz jam that makes me think of Ray Barretto or the like. A real gem. It's exactly the kind of thing that moves me.

9) And speaking of the Staple Singers! Like Lou Rawls above; Mavis' voice can't be missed. And this, as I said above, is way more my thing. Clearly from their Stax Records period this track features a stellar band and production. It's no I'll Take You There, but what is?

10) This one started off feeling like a reggae track with the horn arrangement, etc. But it isn't. Then the vocals start and it seems to be a cover of Vehicle by The Ides Of March. But it isn't. He uses the verses from that but never gets to the chorus. This seems to be more a matter of what this isn't then what it is. This one's not for me.

11) This, however, is exactly for me. I don't know who this is but it's real. These are real musicians in a real studio playing real arrangements. Someone like Ellington or Basie, I'd bet. Really, really good little jump type track.

12) Country weeper that starts out..."His mind was numbed by alcohol...". You know it's gonna be good. The songwriting is a bit subpar but the basic idea is worth a listen.

13) More country and I'm good with it.This might well be one of C&Ws leading ladies - Loretta, Dolly, Kitty, Tammy) but I think it's a little too simple an arrangement for any of them. It also has a kind of modern feel. It's a good track and I quite like it.

14) More C&W but this one has to be more modern. It sounds a great deal like Steve Earle but I don't think it is him. A great hook and a track that I kept going back to. Another one I'd buy.

15) Nine plus minutes of Eric Burden singing something I've never heard before. What a voice. It's not the early Animals (too long and too psych) or War (too white) so must be the New Animals (or whatever they were called) from around the time of Sky Pilot. A nice little piece of psych. I have to get some of the Animals reissues. It's been too long since I've listened to them at length.

16) Well, it's February and a little late to be reviewing a Christmas song but here we go. Another voice (or voices,actually) that can't possibly be mistaken. It's The Everly Brothers (RIP Phil) and this is one I've not heard before. These two could sing the Classified Ads and I'd listen.

So, overall a pretty fine mix. A couple of clams but never too long until another fine track came along. As always, looking forward to the reveal.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 13 Feb 2014, 13:28

Thanks Tom,

at least I'm consistent with thinking Steve Wynn sounds like Lloyd Cole :D

Guess what , I have and love both of the Carlos Guitarlos albums. I guess I was fooled by thinking that track was earlier (as it sounds) Still no excuse although I'd certainly have spotted a more typical track, say Damn Atchafalaya.

The biggest surprise was Aerosmith :o :o :o I could have been guessing forever on that one.

With regards your comments on future mix clubs I have this in hand and will be making some suggestions. I actually sent my mix this month to Nick Danger via sendspace and I'm angling towards this as the way to go, given that it doesn't involve Emailing in order to share and so helps preserve (or re-introduce) the anonymity angle.

I've deliberatley let this one slide for a number of reasons. Christmas, the BCB cup taking over and personal circumstances (Americans with new jobs, doddery old Brits falling over and forgetful Belgians !!) I've also been waiting to see if anyone else rejoined as we are down to the bare bones. Maybe some need a reminder. Anyway we're only a couple of reviews/reveals short of (finally) wrapping this up and I will be doing the next round in a week or two (when the cup finishes)

So thanks for patience one and all and wtach this space.......
We're way past rhubarb

T. Willy Rye
Spinner of crazy fuck-ass shit

Postby T. Willy Rye » 13 Feb 2014, 14:36

The Fish wrote:Thanks Tom,

at least I'm consistent with thinking Steve Wynn sounds like Lloyd Cole :D

Guess what , I have and love both of the Carlos Guitarlos albums. I guess I was fooled by thinking that track was earlier (as it sounds) Still no excuse although I'd certainly have spotted a more typical track, say Damn Atchafalaya.

The biggest surprise was Aerosmith :o :o :o I could have been guessing forever on that one.

With regards your comments on future mix clubs I have this in hand and will be making some suggestions. I actually sent my mix this month to Nick Danger via sendspace and I'm angling towards this as the way to go, given that it doesn't involve Emailing in order to share and so helps preserve (or re-introduce) the anonymity angle.

I've deliberatley let this one slide for a number of reasons. Christmas, the BCB cup taking over and personal circumstances (Americans with new jobs, doddery old Brits falling over and forgetful Belgians !!) I've also been waiting to see if anyone else rejoined as we are down to the bare bones. Maybe some need a reminder. Anyway we're only a couple of reviews/reveals short of (finally) wrapping this up and I will be doing the next round in a week or two (when the cup finishes)

So thanks for patience one and all and wtach this space.......

If I don't need a disc drive I'd like to get back in.

whodathunkit

Postby whodathunkit » 14 Feb 2014, 10:07

TG wrote:All of my excuses and apologies are in the previous reveal post so I won't repeat them here. I will say I got a pretty swell mix this month and I'm anxious to find out what a couple of these tracks are. Not anxious enough to get this done any sooner but life is what it is. This is what I received -

1) Current sounding punkish thing that reminds me of The Mooney Suzuki or The Dirtbombs. A fine, fine song and a reminder that Mix Club mixes should always start out this high energy. I would (and likely will) buy this.

"The Corner Man" by Barence Whitfield and the Savages, a band I thought had packed it in ages ago until I came across this on a recent magazine cover disc.

2) This pretty much has to be Screamin' Jay Hawkins. If it isn't, it's someone just as wacked out as he was doing a pretty good imitation of him.

Yep, Screamin Jay and "I Hear Voices", which wouldn't have surprised me.

3) I thought this was going to be someone doing a cover of Memphis. It certainly borrows liberally from there. But no worry, it's a neat little percolating track with a good band and a good hook. A winner.

Don't even have a year for this. Chap called Buddy Rogers and "Mad With You". A lot of Jimmy Reed in there too which is always welcome.

4) Gotta be Memphis Minnie, right? I have a couple of CD comps of her but I don't think this track is on either of them. A little bit of lascivious fun centered around barbecue. She's selling it and if you want her meat you have to go to her house at twelve. I'd have gone. But then, I really like barbecue.

Barbecue Blues". Lucille Bogan actually. "55 Cents and you can get some twice". Can resist a twofer ;) .

5) A sort of Jordanaires style Gospel that just doesn't do much for me. I'm not a huge Gospel fan - a bit of Staples Singes or Sister Rosetta Tharpe is more my speed. I don't think I listened to this after the first listen. Sorry.

"Call on Jesus" by 50s outfit, the Leach Brothers. It's my favourite thing on here :lol: . Such is the way of mix club.

6) I like this. It's sort of a modern day Bill Withers thang. This is another one I'd likely buy.

"Slow Down", the title track from Keb Mo's 1998 album.

7) I know the voice is Lou Rawls - he's pretty unmistakable. This is one of the best tracks I've ever heard by him. Great arrangement and a little more guitar than I might have thought I'd hear on a Lou Rawls track. Another one I'd like to know more about.

I only have a "Very Best of" and this is on it, "Breaking My Back (Instead of Using My Mind).Love the sheer ease and effortlessness of the guys vocals. Must get me some more.

8) A latin soul jazz jam that makes me think of Ray Barretto or the like. A real gem. It's exactly the kind of thing that moves me.

This comes from a terrific anthology called Long Live Boogaloo..Manny Corchado celebrating "Chicken and Booze".

9) And speaking of the Staple Singers! Like Lou Rawls above; Mavis' voice can't be missed. And this, as I said above, is way more my thing. Clearly from their Stax Records period this track features a stellar band and production. It's no I'll Take You There, but what is?

Well, "I'm Just Another Soldier" nearly is.

10) This one started off feeling like a reggae track with the horn arrangement, etc. But it isn't. Then the vocals start and it seems to be a cover of Vehicle by The Ides Of March. But it isn't. He uses the verses from that but never gets to the chorus. This seems to be more a matter of what this isn't then what it is. This one's not for me.

This seemed like an interesting arrangement of what is, let's face it, a pretty mediocre song. The Jacksonians from a collection called Lost Soul Gems From Memphis. Just for once the funeral pace appeals to me.

11) This, however, is exactly for me. I don't know who this is but it's real. These are real musicians in a real studio playing real arrangements. Someone like Ellington or Basie, I'd bet. Really, really good little jump type track.

I'm not the biggest of jazz fans but I do love my Ellington.3 minutes 53. Get in, say what you've got to say and out. "Swingers Jump" from 1959's Blues In Orbit".

12) Country weeper that starts out..."His mind was numbed by alcohol...". You know it's gonna be good. The songwriting is a bit subpar but the basic idea is worth a listen.

Bobby Helms (of "Jingle Bell Rock" fame) and a cautionary tale, "He Thought He'd Die Laughing".

13) More country and I'm good with it.This might well be one of C&Ws leading ladies - Loretta, Dolly, Kitty, Tammy) but I think it's a little too simple an arrangement for any of them. It also has a kind of modern feel. It's a good track and I quite like it.

Modern retro but beautifully done. Laura Cantrell from last years Kitty Well's Dresses album and "Poison In Your Heart".

14) More C&W but this one has to be more modern. It sounds a great deal like Steve Earle but I don't think it is him. A great hook and a track that I kept going back to. Another one I'd buy.

One of my (few) favourite modern country artists, Hayes Carll. This is "Bye Bye Baby" from 2011's KMAGYOYO. All his stuff is worth a listen.

15) Nine plus minutes of Eric Burden singing something I've never heard before. What a voice. It's not the early Animals (too long and too psych) or War (too white) so must be the New Animals (or whatever they were called) from around the time of Sky Pilot. A nice little piece of psych. I have to get some of the Animals reissues. It's been too long since I've listened to them at length.

Well the song is Traffic's "Coloured Rain" and the album is Love Is" from 1968. Great vocals as ever from Eric but the solo is the star here. Andy Summers before he went on to waste[ his career in The Police.

16) Well, it's February and a little late to be reviewing a Christmas song but here we go. Another voice (or voices,actually) that can't possibly be mistaken. It's The Everly Brothers (RIP Phil) and this is one I've not heard before. These two could sing the Classified Ads and I'd listen.

It being December I thought I'd put a little Christmas track on the end but unfortunately it turned into a memorial . RIP Phil. " Christmas Eve Can Kill You" from Stories We Could Tell

TG wrote:So, overall a pretty fine mix. A couple of clams but never too long until another fine track came along. As always, looking forward to the reveal.

Cheers Tom. Time for the listing.

1. "The Corner Man" - Barrence Whitfield
2. "I Hear Voices" - Screaming Jay Hawkins
3. "Mad With You" - Buddy Rogers
4. "Barbecue Blues" - Lucille Bogan
5. "Call On Jesus" - The Leach Brothers
6. "Slow Down" - Keb Mo
7. "Breaking My Back" - Lou Rawls
8. "Chicken And Booze" - Manny Corchado
9. "I'm Just Another Soldier" - The Staples Singers
10. "Vehicle" - The Jacksonians
11. "Swingers Jump" - Duke Ellington
12. "He Thought He'd Die Laughing" - Bobby Helms
13, "Poison In Your Heart" - Laura Cantrell
14, "Bye Bye Baby" - Hayes Carll
15. "Coloured Rain" - Eric Burdon and the Animals
16. "Christmas Eve Can Kill You" - The Everley Brothers

TG

Postby TG » 19 Feb 2014, 22:07

whodathunkit wrote:Cheers Tom. Time for the listing.

1. "The Corner Man" - Barrence Whitfield
2. "I Hear Voices" - Screaming Jay Hawkins
3. "Mad With You" - Buddy Rogers
4. "Barbecue Blues" - Lucille Bogan
5. "Call On Jesus" - The Leach Brothers
6. "Slow Down" - Keb Mo
7. "Breaking My Back" - Lou Rawls
8. "Chicken And Booze" - Manny Corchado
9. "I'm Just Another Soldier" - The Staples Singers
10. "Vehicle" - The Jacksonians
11. "Swingers Jump" - Duke Ellington
12. "He Thought He'd Die Laughing" - Bobby Helms
13, "Poison In Your Heart" - Laura Cantrell
14, "Bye Bye Baby" - Hayes Carll
15. "Coloured Rain" - Eric Burdon and the Animals
16. "Christmas Eve Can Kill You" - The Everley Brothers

A couple of acts on there - Barrence Whitfield and Keb Mo - always sound good when I hear them and I never seem to delve any deeper. The Manny Corchado track is quickly becoming a real favorite. Thanks for the mix!

whodathunkit

Postby whodathunkit » 20 Feb 2014, 10:59

Received a beautifully-packaged mix sometime ago. Apologies for delay - see earlier in thread for excuses.

It's called "Swamp Mix" and that's what it appears to be. Not a bad track on it.

1. Hellova starter. Slinky, moody little rocker, loads of tremelo and an ode to the rock'n'roll lifesyle. Vocals sound a bit English. Wonderful.
2. Altogether funkier thing with Fogerty-esque vocals. Don't think it's him though.
3, Cos' I'm pretty sure this is him. Post CCR. Excellent solo.
4. I think the black guys have arrived. Lurching, sloppy New Orleans- style rocker with plenty of cowbell. Numerous mentions of creole girls, bullfrogs, etc.
5. Quite a lenghty cut but not a second wasted. Layers of lovely guitar work on a song about Congo Square. Bit of a standout this one.
6. Warren Zevon cools things down a bit with "Prison Grove" from his final, emotional and rather disappointing album The Wind. This was a good 'un though.
7. Wonderful semi-talking blues thing and a voice that I know but just can't place. Cool as fuck.
8. "Polk Salad Annie". Should have known Tony Joe would turn up eventually. A man who knows how to put air into his music.
9. The chooglin' never stops.Appears to be called "Turtle Bayou Turnaround". Love it.
10. Bluesier number. Jesus crops up a lot in this one. Another great track. This is getting boring :D .
11. "Time To Pray". More god-fearing, guitar-bashing goodness.
12. Back to the funk. Sort of Dr John meets Sly Stone. Nothing out of the ordinary but all beautifully done.
13. About the only time on this mix that the guage falls from great to just good. Slow rolling (and rather too long) thing probably called "Money Talks". Not enough air in this one (c.f. Tony Joe).
14. Found this one a bit boring initially but it's really grown on me. "Seven Walkers". Insistent, insane snare drumming.
15. A big old twangy guitar instrumental to close things. A nice way to ride off into the sunset.

Thanks to my mystery mixer from Belgium. One of my favourite discs ever. The old mix club may be on it's last legs but receiving stuff like this still makes it a worthwhile experience.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 20 Feb 2014, 19:11

Glad you liked it. It was indeed a mix in "the spirit of CCR and Tony Joe".
I submitted this one to Germany's Glitterhouse as they have a series of mix cdr's they're selling on their website.
It's a coincidence but I swore to myself that tonight I'd finish the review of the disc I received.
So I'll do that first and come back to you later.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 20 Feb 2014, 20:23

Really sorry to be this late with the review but a mislaid disc and bronchitis after that are the main reasons. Really great mix with the usual soul/funk contents but this time I’m unfamiliar with most of the acts.
01. Funky diva with some funk lite. Off to a good start.
02. More of this but at first I thought this was a man. But it’s not. Two for two on the funk/disco front.
03. We take it down a step with a slow intro that was stolen by the Wu Tang. Can’t remember for what song though. Slow, close harmony.
04. Now here it gets interesting. Another slow tune (and another deep voice!). My favorite of the disc. “A child of the king” but who is it? It sounds old but somehow I don’t feel it is. Very curious for the reveal.
05. Ah. Here’s one I do know. Odetta and what is it with all these deep female voices? Good choice.
06. Two in a row! The Barrino Brothers, I love ‘em! But I’m still looking for a decent cd of theirs.
07. A little mid tempo gospel-y song. Perfect for the half way point of the mix.
08. Sock it to me! Not James Brown but a solid groover.
09. Is that a sitar I’m hearing? Good tune but a bit out of place on this disc.
10. Soul man Howard Tate. I’ve got this and have played it recently. The only reason why I know who this is.
11. We’ve picked up the tempo since number 8 and the beat goes on. No idea who (again).
12. Close harmony slow song. Love this one too. Who?
13. Slow electric blues with solid lead guitar. A white ass perhaps?
14. The best for last? No that was number 4. Piano led slow gospel tune. Fave no.2.
A very satisfying listening experience, dear mixer. Be sure of that.
And curious who all the artists are because I only recognized about three.
Thank you!

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 22 Feb 2014, 20:25

whodathunkit wrote:Received a beautifully-packaged mix sometime ago. Apologies for delay - see earlier in thread for excuses.

It's called "Swamp Mix" and that's what it appears to be. Not a bad track on it.

1. Hellova starter. Slinky, moody little rocker, loads of tremelo and an ode to the rock'n'roll lifesyle. Vocals sound a bit English. Wonderful.
not English but Lafayette born C.C.Adcock sets the mood with Stealin' all day.

2. Altogether funkier thing with Fogerty-esque vocals. Don't think it's him though.
L.A.'s Louie & the Lovers. From their only album this is Sittin' by your river. Produced by Doug Sahm. Most CCR sounding song I've even heard.

3, Cos' I'm pretty sure this is him. Post CCR. Excellent solo.
Fogerty yes, but still in CCR. Walking on the water from their debut.

4. I think the black guys have arrived. Lurching, sloppy New Orleans- style rocker with plenty of cowbell. Numerous mentions of creole girls, bullfrogs, etc.
From Shreveport comes Papa Mali with a reworking of the classic Bon temps roulet. He's not quite black.

5. Quite a lenghty cut but not a second wasted. Layers of lovely guitar work on a song about Congo Square. Bit of a standout this one.
Born in Mississippi but settled in Lafayette this is slide master Sonny Landreth. The tune is Congo Square, made famous by the Neville Brothers. But Landreth wrote it.

6. Warren Zevon cools things down a bit with "Prison Grove" from his final, emotional and rather disappointing album The Wind. This was a good 'un though.
Indeed. The intro evokes images of gators patrolling a prison in the middle of the swamp.

7. Wonderful semi-talking blues thing and a voice that I know but just can't place. Cool as fuck.
Veteran Ray Wylie Hubbard with Mother Blues. Hilarious part is where the stripper tells him to play Polk Salad Annie and she'll take her clothes off. He does :lol:

8. "Polk Salad Annie". Should have known Tony Joe would turn up eventually. A man who knows how to put air into his music.
What else could I follow the previous song with?

9. The chooglin' never stops.Appears to be called "Turtle Bayou Turnaround". Love it.
Another veteran. James McMurtry with Bayou Tortous.

10. Bluesier number. Jesus crops up a lot in this one. Another great track. This is getting boring :D .
Jesus Tone by a trio called Swamp Cabbage. Walter Parks played guitar for Richie Havens as his day job.

11. "Time To Pray". More god-fearing, guitar-bashing goodness.
New Orleans native Grayson Capps with John the Dagger.

12. Back to the funk. Sort of Dr John meets Sly Stone. Nothing out of the ordinary but all beautifully done.
From the swamps of Florida comes Mofro with Dirtfloor cracker. Later they became JJ Grey & Mofro.

13. About the only time on this mix that the guage falls from great to just good. Slow rolling (and rather too long) thing probably called "Money Talks". Not enough air in this one (c.f. Tony Joe).
From a JJ Cale tribute album this is JJ Grey in combination with Swamp Cabbage. Yes, it's rather long. I should've chosen another track.

14. Found this one a bit boring initially but it's really grown on me. "Seven Walkers". Insistent, insane snare drumming.
The name of the band, song and album. Papa Mali in combination with Bill Kreutzman and George Porter jr.

15. A big old twangy guitar instrumental to close things. A nice way to ride off into the sunset.
Kroatian surf band the Bambi Molesters with Wrong turn. I thought it fitted here.

Thanks to my mystery mixer from Belgium. One of my favourite discs ever. The old mix club may be on it's last legs but receiving stuff like this still makes it a worthwhile experience.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 22 Feb 2014, 20:45

01. C.C.Adcock - Stealin' all day
02. Louie & the Lovers - Sittin' by your river
03. Creedence Clearwater Revival - Walking on the water
04. Papa Mali - Bon ton roulet
05. Sonny Landreth - Congo Square
06. Warren Zevon - Prison grove
07. Ray Wylie Hubbard - Mother blues