November 2013 Reviews

Exchange mix CDs with each other.
T. Willy Rye
Spinner of crazy fuck-ass shit

November 2013 Reviews

Postby T. Willy Rye » 26 Nov 2013, 02:13

A disc from HK Phooey! You done Scatman Caruthers proud.

Track 1- Things start off right up my wanna be Latin street. Prolly Fania or at least someone who recorded for Fania at one time. It is dominated by the percussion (genius insight into a Latin piece) but the musicianship is all around top tier. When the horns go away, I miss them. Strong opener.

Track 2- I've just run to get my platforms... Okay back at you. Groovy soulstess gon tell it true. Comin' at me, no telling what she might do. Love the pedal on this. Perfectly sprinkled in organ. 70s gold right here.

Track 3- a groovy jazz throwdown. Don't wanna embarrass myself again with guesses like last time you mixed mine. I know your crates are deep and your reach is far. It'll have to suffice to say you're 3 for 3. That brief interlude is a little strange, but it just allowed me to catch my breath a little and wipe the beads of sweat from my brow. Ooh trombone, Curtis Fuller? Must fight these impulses.

Track 4 sounds like a gal but it's a guy. Old blues piece with a one note guitar solo. Really like this one.

Track 5 more 70s soul goodness. Just the right amount of 70s cop show.

The opening to track 6 is so damned familiar. Right in my sweetspot. The nice languid pace is the perfect launching ground for each instrument to spring from (the trumpet just takes flight). If I don't have this track somewhere I'll eat my hat.

I like the swagger to track 7, but compared with what is above, this would be second tier. It's filled with funky goodness, but it does veer a little close to 80s soul (which you might know I have a problem with). Still the attitude tilts it to thumbs up.

Track 8--Better-- sounds like the Rail Band.

Track 9-- King Kong. Old 50s R and B. Just plain good.

Track 10 seems like a test I'm doomed to fail. Sure sounds like Horace or someone like Andrew Hill or Bobby Timmons doing his best Horace. Certainly a Blue Note record I need to revisit because I'm not immediately recalling this one and it certainly is worthy of instant recall.

Track 11 is one of those exciting old blues pieces I keep coming across. Man, more and more the early 50s seemed to be where it was at.

Track 12 is an instrumental of Bitch. Sounds like it could've been done by a Dap-Tone band. Retains much of the grit with funky organ. Like it-- am I being greedy to suggest I miss Mick a little here? Haters gonna hate, but if it's 66-71 and Mick is singing, I'm listening.

Track 13 Another track I just flat out love. Soul brilliance sung with great feeling and played to perfection.

Track 14 A post Sidewinder Blue Note groover. Again, can't place it, but I should definitely have this one. I think you're making a point here: stop neglecting the Blue Note catalog. Got it. Steady diet of Lee Morgan, Donald Byrd, and Freddie Hubbard from now on.

Track 15 I'm not even sure where there is from. At first I was sure it was Brazilian but maybe it might be from Turkey. Psychedelic is about all I can say... that and also there's the fact that I dig it.

Track 16 Great old R and B piece. Located neatly between jump blues and the birth of rock and roll. Another strong selection.

Track 17 is the track that has improved most through repeated listens. The geetar is so nicely played though and the bass line is winning me over and then the organ. I'm really liking it, but could grow to love it.

Track 18 This is where our tastes diverge. I do not like this late blues piece- the vocals are pretty compelling- almost like he's a male Nina Simone and I'm sure we are supposed to focus on the vocal performance, but the song itself is lacking and long. This is not for me.

Another golden collection, many thanks!

fange
100% fangetastic

Re: November 2013 Reviews

Postby fange » 27 Nov 2013, 08:55

T. Willy Rye wrote:A disc from HK Phooey! You done Scatman Caruthers proud.

Big shoes to fill.

Track 1- Things start off right up my wanna be Latin street. Prolly Fania or at least someone who recorded for Fania at one time. It is dominated by the percussion (genius insight into a Latin piece) but the musicianship is all around top tier. When the horns go away, I miss them. Strong opener.

I knew you’d be powerless to resist this opener, much as I’ve been since I first heard it – the Luccas and Sonora Poncena doing their version of Duke Jordan’s ‘Jordu’ (called Joldo). From…Image

Track 2- I've just run to get my platforms... Okay back at you. Groovy soulstess gon tell it true. Comin' at me, no telling what she might do. Love the pedal on this. Perfectly sprinkled in organ. 70s gold right here.

Yep, slinky sexy 70s silk. The lovely Madeline Bell, who spent a heap of time in the UK in the early 70s working with John Paul Jones and Bonzo and releasing killer singles like this one, which is why, despite being a Yank by birth, this track is on this…Image

Track 3- a groovy jazz throwdown. Don't wanna embarrass myself again with guesses like last time you mixed mine. I know your crates are deep and your reach is far. It'll have to suffice to say you're 3 for 3. That brief interlude is a little strange, but it just allowed me to catch my breath a little and wipe the beads of sweat from my brow. Ooh trombone, Curtis Fuller? Must fight these impulses.

It’s a cracking tune, isn’t it. A cut by Arnett Cobb, the Texan sax blower, from an early 70s album that’s only been reissued in Japan called ‘Chittlin’ Shout’. But luckily it’s been collected on this excellent jazz-funk compilation from Japan too…

Track 4 sounds like a gal but it's a guy. Old blues piece with a one note guitar solo. Really like this one.

Yep, JB Lenoir’s voice has a very high pitch, doesn’t it. A real edge to it, and his guitar playing is hot as well. Very primitive early 50s recording, you can hardly hear the drums, but for all that it fucking works, pure driving blues feeling. From this wonderful box…

Track 5 more 70s soul goodness. Just the right amount of 70s cop show.

The groovy guitar of Melvin Sparks, ably supported by some of the Funkadelic crew doing session gigs for the Westbound labels. From…

The opening to track 6 is so damned familiar. Right in my sweetspot. The nice languid pace is the perfect launching ground for each instrument to spring from (the trumpet just takes flight). If I don't have this track somewhere I'll eat my hat.

If you don’t you soon shall. Bari sax man Leo Parker and group from ’61, doing the tune ‘Bad Girl’. One of my favourite unsung jazz stars, trumpeter Dave Burns, is a key part of why it’s so great. From…

I like the swagger to track 7, but compared with what is above, this would be second tier. It's filled with funky goodness, but it does veer a little close to 80s soul (which you might know I have a problem with). Still the attitude tilts it to thumbs up.

I like the attitude in this one too, a relaxed yet edgy groove. It’s a cut by Oscar Brown Jr from ’72, helped out by guys like Cornell Dupree and David Newman. From…

Track 8--Better-- sounds like the Rail Band.

Back to mother Africa, Chief Stephen and his big and famous group. From…

Track 9-- King Kong. Old 50s R and B. Just plain good.

Just try and keep still. The obscure shouter Big ‘T’ Tyler with his most famous Alladin records single from ’57.
From…

Track 10 seems like a test I'm doomed to fail. Sure sounds like Horace or someone like Andrew Hill or Bobby Timmons doing his best Horace. Certainly a Blue Note record I need to revisit because I'm not immediately recalling this one and it certainly is worthy of instant recall.

Yep, definitely worthy of your time. This is a Roy Haynes track called ‘Honeydew’, written and ably played by pianist Ronnie Mathews, with sax courtesy of Booker Ervin too. From…

Track 11 is one of those exciting old blues pieces I keep coming across. Man, more and more the early 50s seemed to be where it was at.

Oh yeah. Elmore James on Fire and Enjoy – ‘nuff said. From a Japanese version of this set…

Track 12 is an instrumental of Bitch. Sounds like it could've been done by a Dap-Tone band. Retains much of the grit with funky organ. Like it-- am I being greedy to suggest I miss Mick a little here? Haters gonna hate, but if it's 66-71 and Mick is singing, I'm listening.

Yep, spot on, on all counts. I love this version by the Sugarman 3, but it’s just a nice diversion to the original in the end. Short but gritty sweet. From...

Track 13 Another track I just flat out love. Soul brilliance sung with great feeling and played to perfection.

A little rockin’ soul nugget by Bobby Lester called ‘Hang Up Your Hang Ups’. From the Vol. 2 in this series…

Track 14 A post Sidewinder Blue Note groover. Again, can't place it, but I should definitely have this one. I think you're making a point here: stop neglecting the Blue Note catalog. Got it. Steady diet of Lee Morgan, Donald Byrd, and Freddie Hubbard from now on.

Good. All the essential vitamins and minerals for healty living. This is a Jack Wilson cut called ‘Do It’, from…

Track 15 I'm not even sure where there is from. At first I was sure it was Brazilian but maybe it might be from Turkey. Psychedelic is about all I can say... that and also there's the fact that I dig it.

Yep, your first instinct was correct, it’s Gonzaguinha with the funky, trippy ‘Galope’ from…

Track 16 Great old R and B piece. Located neatly between jump blues and the birth of rock and roll. Another strong selection.

We’ve gone down to N’awlins here, Eddie Lang and crew cutting loose in Cosimo Matassa’s studio in ’58, doing ‘Easy Rockin’ from…

Track 17 is the track that has improved most through repeated listens. The geetar is so nicely played though and the bass line is winning me over and then the organ. I'm really liking it, but could grow to love it.

I’m sure you will mate – apply once or twice daily, and let the groove work its magic. ‘Odds On’ from ’70 by Charles Kynard, with a little help from Grant Green, Houston Person, Jimmy Lewis and Bernard Purdie. From the ‘Afro-disiac’ LP, reissued on CD as part of this set…

Track 18 This is where our tastes diverge. I do not like this late blues piece- the vocals are pretty compelling- almost like he's a male Nina Simone and I'm sure we are supposed to focus on the vocal performance, but the song itself is lacking and long. This is not for me.

Ahh, the tough last track. Some gut-bucket blues, and it doesn’t get more gut-bucket than Bobby ‘Blue’ Bland. This is a long live piece, previously unissued, but I bet you’d like most of the stuff on the set it’s lifted from (especially CD1) which is this one…

Another golden collection, many thanks!

As always, it's a pleasure to mix for you mate. Shoot/fish/barrel.

Simple Minds: An 80s Celebration Mix

1. Sonora Poncena – Jordu (aka Joldo)
2. Madeline Bell – Comin’ Atcha
3. Arnett Cobb – Big T
4. J.B. Lenoir – mama Talk To Your Daughter
5. Melvin Sparks – Get Down With The Get Down
6. Leo Parker – Bad Girl
7. Oscar Brown Jr. – A Dime Away From A Hot Dog
8. Chief Stephen Osita Osedebe – Onu Uwa
9. Big ‘T’ Tyler – King Kong
10. Roy Hayner – Honeydew
11. Elmore James – One Way Out
12. Sugarman 3 – Bitch
13. Bobby Lester – Hang Up Your Hang Ups
14. Jack Wilson – Do It
15. Gonzaguinha – Galope
16. Eddie Lang – Easy Rockin’
17. Charles Kynard – odds On
18. Bobby ‘Blue’ Bland – This Time I’m Gone For Good (live)
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 01 Dec 2013, 05:16

Had a fantastique mix this month, lots of groove and soul and bounce.

1. Cool as fuck latin groover to kick things. ‘El Casa Del Trompo’ seems to be the handle, and it’s a steamer. Great horns, percussion and everything.

2. And some Santana to follow it up, ‘Savor’. Someone’s been checking my record collection. The debut is not my favourite LP but the blueprint that made them so great is all here, and Rolie’s playing is always seriously under-recognised i think in the wider scheme of things.

3. And this funky soul shaker here has gotten better and better with each listen. My impression is that it’s a more recent group and tune, but it’s got some smoky hot guitar and punchy horns and tight soul vocals, so all the good stuff is present and accounted for. Interested in the reveal.

4. More funky goodness, an instrumental that i’m lovin for many reasons but especially for those drums – why the fuck don’t more drummers wanna sound like this these days?! This sticks-man has got his shit sewn up TIGHT, hell yeah. It sounds hot in all the right ways, great funky R&B. Looking forward to the reveal.

5. Some Graham Parker is always welcome, and cheers for putting this here coz i hadn’t heard ‘Heat Treatment’ - or any pre-‘Squeezing Out Sparks’ Parker/Rumour really - for way too long. Soulful and rocking, fine stuff.

6. Man, you’ve REALLY been checkin’ my vinyl haven’t you, mixer. ‘Hearts of Stone’ is one of my very favourite late-70s rock and roll records, so ‘Take It Inside’ has been a bulls-eye every time.

7. I like this one too, a sweet soulful groover, though maybe not quite at the same level as everything that’s gone before – but then they were all A’s and A+’s, so no shame here. A good little tune though, the lyrics are kinda goofy but fun and the band are working out nicely.

8. This one has definitely grown on me, even more than 7 – first time i felt a bit flat about it, but it’s worked its way into my hips as i let that ‘Hi Records’-type groove it’s got goin’ on do its job. Lots of space, mellow groove, and that voice is so familiar i’ve been bloody itching to find out, but i’ve laid off to enjoy the reveal. Very nice.

9. This is really good too, a funky soul diva doing a quite faithful reading of Marvin’s ‘Trouble Man’, still low-down groovy but with some spark as well. Nice, looking forward to reveal.

10. And this one is mighty fine, an up-tempo spunky R&B groover by a contemporary band by the sounds, and it’s a corker. It’s been to great to turn up loud.

11. Now, i’ve tried to get into this one more with repeated listens but haven’t really been able to. It’s not too bad, but the mix of anthemic pop/rock and modern R&B it seems to have isn’t quite pushing my buttons like others on the disc.

12. Well, you’ve been going through my CDs obviously as well, coz i haven’t bought a lot of new albums this year but this was one of them – The James Hunter 6 with ‘Chicken Switch’, off Minute By Minute. Great tune, off a class record. They do what they do so well.

13. I’m pretty sure it’s Mr. Lee “More JB Than JB” Fields singing this one, but i’m not sure of the tune. I’m a big big fan of his recent records, My World and Faithful Man especially are some of my fave albums of recent years. Looking forward to the reveal to find what other set i obviously need to get.

14. This one has grown on me too. It’s a bit closer to the acid jazz or modern hip hop/R&B side of soul –which i have no problem with - and it’s got a nice steady groove, but the singer has a bit of a limited voice, which grated at first listen. But over the week it has sunk in better, and she’s still got a nice expressive tone which fits the mellower groove of this cut ok.

15. This instrumental had no issues though, mighty fine slice of acid jazzy, hip hop/R&B styled soul to close out a very very fine mix disc.

Many thanks, mon mystery mixer.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 01 Dec 2013, 12:13

Had a fantastique mix this month, lots of groove and soul and bounce.
Thank you and yez, it vas me 'Promenez Dans Mon Ombre'. I did not go through your collection but I did mix with you in mind. Turns out we have a lot in common. I tried to go heavy on the horns, heavy on the bass.

1. Cool as fuck latin groover to kick things. ‘El Casa Del Trompo’ seems to be the handle, and it’s a steamer. Great horns, percussion and everything.
Staring out in Cuba with Orquestra Riverside.

2. And some Santana to follow it up, ‘Savor’. Someone’s been checking my record collection. The debut is not my favourite LP but the blueprint that made them so great is all here, and Rolie’s playing is always seriously under-recognised i think in the wider scheme of things.
And prolonging with a little Santana. For me the debut is their best.

3. And this funky soul shaker here has gotten better and better with each listen. My impression is that it’s a more recent group and tune, but it’s got some smoky hot guitar and punchy horns and tight soul vocals, so all the good stuff is present and accounted for. Interested in the reveal.
Out of L.A. come the Pimps of Joytime with their Janxta Funk. It was Jock that got me turned on to their groove.

4. More funky goodness, an instrumental that i’m lovin for many reasons but especially for those drums – why the fuck don’t more drummers wanna sound like this these days?! This sticks-man has got his shit sewn up TIGHT, hell yeah. It sounds hot in all the right ways, great funky R&B. Looking forward to the reveal.
The Mighty Imperials with Leon Michels who'll make another appearance later on.

5. Some Graham Parker is always welcome, and cheers for putting this here coz i hadn’t heard ‘Heat Treatment’ - or any pre-‘Squeezing Out Sparks’ Parker/Rumour really - for way too long. Soulful and rocking, fine stuff.
Indeed. You should check out those early albums. Full of R'nB and white Soul.

6. Man, you’ve REALLY been checkin’ my vinyl haven’t you, mixer. ‘Hearts of Stone’ is one of my very favourite late-70s rock and roll records, so ‘Take It Inside’ has been a bulls-eye every time.
Same here. Southside and Miami Steve: a winning team/

7. I like this one too, a sweet soulful groover, though maybe not quite at the same level as everything that’s gone before – but then they were all A’s and A+’s, so no shame here. A good little tune though, the lyrics are kinda goofy but fun and the band are working out nicely.
Eli 'Paperboy' Reed in combination with Spanish band the Pepper Pots. From a 4 track EP.

8. This one has definitely grown on me, even more than 7 – first time i felt a bit flat about it, but it’s worked its way into my hips as i let that ‘Hi Records’-type groove it’s got goin’ on do its job. Lots of space, mellow groove, and that voice is so familiar i’ve been bloody itching to find out, but i’ve laid off to enjoy the reveal. Very nice.
white Soul God Boz Scaggs from his latest Memphis. Could be the album of 2013 for me.

9. This is really good too, a funky soul diva doing a quite faithful reading of Marvin’s ‘Trouble Man’, still low-down groovy but with some spark as well. Nice, looking forward to reveal.
Martha High with Speedometer. Ex- vocalist with James Brown.

10. And this one is mighty fine, an up-tempo spunky R&B groover by a contemporary band by the sounds, and it’s a corker. It’s been to great to turn up loud.
Another Spanish nu Soul band the Excitements.

11. Now, i’ve tried to get into this one more with repeated listens but haven’t really been able to. It’s not too bad, but the mix of anthemic pop/rock and modern R&B it seems to have isn’t quite pushing my buttons like others on the disc.
My bad. It's Fitz & the Tantrums from their new cd.

12. Well, you’ve been going through my CDs obviously as well, coz i haven’t bought a lot of new albums this year but this was one of them – The James Hunter 6 with ‘Chicken Switch’, off Minute By Minute. Great tune, off a class record. They do what they do so well.
Yes. Classy British player.

13. I’m pretty sure it’s Mr. Lee “More JB Than JB” Fields singing this one, but i’m not sure of the tune. I’m a big big fan of his recent records, My World and Faithful Man especially are some of my fave albums of recent years. Looking forward to the reveal to find what other set i obviously need to get.
It IS Lee Fields. Taken from his funk album Let's talk it over - 1979.

14. This one has grown on me too. It’s a bit closer to the acid jazz or modern hip hop/R&B side of soul –which i have no problem with - and it’s got a nice steady groove, but the singer has a bit of a limited voice, which grated at first listen. But over the week it has sunk in better, and she’s still got a nice expressive tone which fits the mellower groove of this cut ok.
Soulful hip-hop. From the soundtrack Ghost Dog this is Thekita.

15. This instrumental had no issues though, mighty fine slice of acid jazzy, hip hop/R&B styled soul to close out a very very fine mix disc.
Here's Leon Michels again. El Michels Affair and a tribute/covers album of Wu Tang tunes.

Many thanks, mon mystery mixer.
Thanks for your kind comments. As a matter of fact I was pleased with the mix myself

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 01 Dec 2013, 12:15

01 Orquestra Riverside – En casa del trompo no bailes
02 Santana – Savor
03 Pimps of Joytime – Janxta funk!
04 The Mighty Imperials – Thunder chicken
05 Graham Parker & the Rumour – Heat treatment
06 Southside Johnny & the Asbury Jukes – Take it inside
07 Eli ‘Paperboy’ Reed & the Pepper Pots – There ain’t no man that can’t be caught
08 Boz Scaggs – Gone baby gone
09 Martha High & Speedometer – Trouble man
10 The Excitements – Don’t you dare tell her
11 Fitz & the Tantrums – Break the walls
12 James Hunter Six – Chicken switch
13 Lee Fields – She’s a lovemaker
14 Tekitha – Walking through the darkness
15 El Michels Affair – C.R.E.A.M.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 01 Dec 2013, 12:59

Walk In My Shadow wrote:01 Orquestra Riverside – En casa del trompo no bailes
02 Santana – Savor
03 Pimps of Joytime – Janxta funk!
04 The Mighty Imperials – Thunder chicken
05 Graham Parker & the Rumour – Heat treatment
06 Southside Johnny & the Asbury Jukes – Take it inside
07 Eli ‘Paperboy’ Reed & the Pepper Pots – There ain’t no man that can’t be caught
08 Boz Scaggs – Gone baby gone
09 Martha High & Speedometer – Trouble man
10 The Excitements – Don’t you dare tell her
11 Fitz & the Tantrums – Break the walls
12 James Hunter Six – Chicken switch
13 Lee Fields – She’s a lovemaker
14 Tekitha – Walking through the darkness
15 El Michels Affair – C.R.E.A.M.

Cheers Yves, I enjoyed that a whole heap.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 01 Dec 2013, 14:09

Not doing December, I gather?

:(

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 01 Dec 2013, 14:19

Walk In My Shadow wrote:Not doing December, I gather?

:(

I'm not gonna be around for the end of December and the start of January, so not a good time i'm afraid, mate.

I'll be back in mix club in the new year at some point though. Might just fix you up something nice anyway, Yves, through mix club or otherwise. :)
Jonny Spencer wrote:

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 01 Dec 2013, 19:14

A Sgt Pepper mix this time out, usually carries some sort of quality guarantee. Titled "Beardy Music". I would have preferred a bit of "wooly jumper" beardiness to some of the "chin stroking" beardiness here and the mix did judder to quite an alarming halt for me after track 13, but there was plenty to enjoy still.

1) All a bit “chill” which isn’t usually my thing, but this is a lot closer to John Martyn for example and worked a lot better for me than some of the later tracks. Solid start (if not Solid Air :lol: )
2) Neko Case – Excellent
3) Banjo, mandolin, fiddle and God bothering. Always a recipe for success in my book.
4) Female vocalist I should probably recognize. I probably own tons of stuff like this (quite possibly including this !!) and while it’s nothing earth shattering I can always stand to listen to stuff like this.
5) Probably my favourite track here and another voice I’m sure I should know. 60s pop style. A bit Dustyish and a bit Spector/Shangri-Las style. Manages to have that big sound without sounding at all overblown. Terrific.
6) I think I recognize this as Midlake. Haven’t played this in a while.
7) Male/Female duet which reveals itself to be Loretta Lynn and Conway Twitty. I’ll still take George and Tammy as the go to pairing but this is fun within the country war of the sexes remit and suitably tongue in cheek.
8) Not unpleasant but all a bit inconsequential. A puff of wind could blow this into the middle of next week but I liked it well enough.
9) The next three were intriguing as on first listen you could almost believe they were from the same album, experimenting in different styles. We start with an odd funk intro (you could almost believe the first ten seconds were The Meters) leading into more of a folk dirge style. An odd one but it does kind of work.
10) Similarly funky but here leading into a 60s girl pop sound (although quite possibly later) Again it works.
11) Folky feel here breaking out into a bit of sunshine pop. I like the voice despite some suspicious Baez warble at times. This one is a pure joy.
12) Starts out like a spaghetti western . The song itself is a bit lightweight in the verse but things pick up when the main chorus kicks in. Ended up liking this one on balance.
13) The vocal here is not much more than a drawl but I’m pretty forgiving and generally like stuff like this. Slight for sure but definitely enjoyable.
14) Like the loose feel to this and the detuned twang of the guitar. Unfortunately there are two different voices here and I hated them both with a passion.
15) Something in Portuguese, presumably Brazilian. I can see some merit in this and there’s definitely some good playing but it’s all a bit too “chill” for me. I’d much prefer to listen to Terry Callier for example.
16) Song shoehorning in the names of as many chocolate bars as possible. I remember a whole Rich Hall routine based on this idea. I must admit I struggled to get past the smugness here.

Thanks Duncan. I'm certainly after investigating 5 and 11
We're way past rhubarb

Nick Danger

Postby Nick Danger » 06 Dec 2013, 02:10

It's my first month in the Mix Club and my first review. My mixer had a tough go as I have so few posts and my tastes are unknown. He did very well with some very high points that I will be seeking out after the reveal. I think I'm going to like creating the mixes more than writing the reviews but we'll see. I keep thinking about that famous quote by somebody - "Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Anyway here it is -

Track 1 - Revving engines, Ventures-like Batman theme guitar, it's a Hot Rod Surf Instrumental, a short-lived but fun aspect of early rock. This one sounds like it might be a more recent retro effort but it pulls it off with distinction. Nice guitar lead. I like this. Good start.

Track 2 - U. K. rock with Irish flourishes, probably period, well done. I like the driving beat and the execution. Could be from the original British Invasion but I don't think I've ever heard it so it might not have made to America.

Track 3 - Also Britpop, I don't like this one as well. Not bad, just not as much going on musically and I'm not connecting with it. Nice drum part. The singer's voice does sound familiar but I've seen with mixes that I can convince myself that almost any voice sounds familiar. Curious about the reveal.

Track 4 - Similar story here. It's well played but the British anthemic pub flavor doesn't really do it for me. I like the pieces, tasteful horns, good drumming.

Track 5 - Great track, love the acoustic guitar beginning. The lyrics are clever and vocals well done. Again, a decidedly British flavor, probably from over 40 years ago. I like this.

Track 6 - Another one from across the pond. The voice sounds familiar but I can't quite place it. I'm sure I have music by this artist. I don't like this as much of the others, just too all over place. It's interesting how these UK songs wear their Beatles influence on the their sleeve. In fact, that is almost a subtheme of this mix, the Beatles imprint is everywhere . . . but maybe that can be said about many songs in many countries.

Track 7 - More recent, this one has been a grower. Doleful vocals, good musicians. The horns sound really good.

Track 8 - Finally a voice I know - Bjork. I'm a Bjork fan, at least the more accessible version. This song is in that group. Nice orchestral arrangement, I don't think I've heard this before. I like it. Of course it'll probably turn out it's not Bjork but somebody like Aretha Franklin. I'm forever getting them confused.

Track 9 - This is one of the highlights of the mix. Indian or Middle Eastern guitars take the lead on this instrumental. It's almost 10 minutes long but doesn't outstay it's welcome. Really nice. I will probably buy the album this comes from.

Track 10 - Another Brit song, pleasant but not grabbing me like some of the others. It's somewhat of a grower too so we'll see. It kinda has Fairpointy verses and a power pop chorus. I have trouble understanding the lyrics to some of these.

Track 11 - Ok, I think we've got a song paroding bubblegum music performed in a bubblegum style. It's done in an ensemble group and sounds like it could have a stage origin. They don't quite pull it off for me, not strong enough musically. I'm eclectic to a fault and I do like a lot of music that would be considered twee or bubblegum but it's very song specific. I don't like most of the genre.

Track 12 - More sunshine pop. It sounds pretty recent. Lots of layered instruments, vocals, and sounds but it's not for me. It tries hard but sorry, no.

Track 13 - A really nice easy singer/songwriter song. It's overproduced but pleasant. Another familiar sounding voice.

Track 14 - Yes! Doo Wop! I'm a big fan of this kind of stuff. I don't recognize this but it is great, probably my favorite song on the mix. I know this is probably an obscure group from the 50s but if these guys made an album I will buy it! Great selection!

Track 15 - We close with the most incongruous track on the mix. It sounds like Marlena Dietrich singing in German (?) backed by a choir. It's arranged like an opera piece and well recorded. Not unpleasant. I would have liked to hear more of the choir.

Thanks Mixer for a very entertaining disc. You managed to pick stuff I'd like with almost no clues. I'm sure I will continue to listen to this in the future and I will be seeking out some of these artists. I thought mix club was free.

Duncan

Postby Duncan » 06 Dec 2013, 19:25

OK, time to pull your finger out, Duncan.

1. Punky goodness from the early days (by the sound of it). I probably ought to know what this is, but I don't. I like it though, it's satisfactorily equal parts snotty and fun.

2. This is AMAZING. Ye ye pop daftness with psychedelic vampy organ, funky horns and that totally unexpected ghostly vocal wail thing that comes out of nowhere. Where on earth did you dig this up from?

3. Groovy garage punk that completely sucks you in. Ticks all of the important boxes and covers all of your 60s garage requirements. Lots of attitude, an engaging riff, no fluff. Lovely.

4. Ah, this one I know, although I did have to check my iTunes to make sure. It's Circles by Fleur de Lys. I assume that's Jimmy Page having the wild guitar wig-out. Cracking drumming, too. Wonderful stuff.

5. A similar vintage to the last couple and equally worthy. They clearly didn't spend all that long on the lyrics but it hardly seems to matter.

6. YES! Big booming soul vocals and a groovy horn section to die for. Makes my appendages move in peculiar ways. A definite favourite.

7. Back to the garage pop goodness. This one has some jaunty harmonica and is charmingly ramshackle. Another winner.

8. These guys seem to be having a great time. This kind of thing must have been a blast to play live. It's another great track. How could anyone not like a song with that organ riff?

9. A bluesy twist. Some playful lyrics and a swinging groove. I'm not the world's biggest electric blues fan but this is definitely enjoyable.

10. Slightly less keen on this one, although I do dig the jazzy piano. It's just a bit repetitive and I'm not feeling the guitar solo. It's not bad, just not really my thing.

11. Ah, well this is unmistakeably Howlin Wolf. This is definitely blues that I can get behind. That voice could strip a skirting board in 30 seconds. Killer.

12. This is pretty decent, too. I know the the song, but not this version, although the the vocals are frustratingly familiar. The crisp guitar sound really jumps out the speakers. Cool stuff.

13. Ooh, the mighty Superchunck with Punch Me Harder. No Pocky For Kitty was a blistering record and I thoroughly enjoyed hearing this again. I can't believe the record is 22 years old, although I only discovered it myself about ten years ago during my earnest early 20s DIY indie period. It still evokes some very fond memories of the time, though. Nice.

14. And this has to be Built To Spill. One of my favourite bands from that period of my life. I've lost track of them these days, but they had a pretty consistent run of great albums for a while there. I can't remember this particular track but I must have it somewhere.

15. No idea who this is, but it has a nice warm, fuzzy, droney, druggy vibe in the same sort of ballpark as someone like Galaxie 500 or Spiritualized, except this has a bit more momentum. I like it a lot, although it's probably a small doses kinda deal.

16. This is a bit darker and more epic-sounding. The song structure (particularly the big soaring chorus) and the vocals remind me a little bit of Greg Dulli. I haven't been keeping up with the Twilight Singers, so it could well be him. I really like it though. I'll definitely go and check out more stuff by this lot.

Thanks loads mix chum. I enjoyed every track except for perhaps number 10, although that was far from being a clunker. I also loved World Beat 86 to pieces, but don't tell me what's on that yet. Given that December's Mix Club is looking increasingly unlikely, I'll probably get round to reviewing that too over the next couple of weeks.

Thanks again. I'm off on a Built To Spill binge now.
Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb...

whodathunkit

Postby whodathunkit » 06 Dec 2013, 20:25

Nick Danger wrote:It's my first month in the Mix Club and my first review. My mixer had a tough go as I have so few posts and my tastes are unknown.

Hello H. Yes, you were a bit of a puzzler. However, a quick trawl through your posts brought up this reassuring statement - "95% of what I like now is pre 1975." - and I knew we'd be okay. :D

Track 1 - Revving engines, Ventures-like Batman theme guitar, it's a Hot Rod Surf Instrumental, a short-lived but fun aspect of early rock. This one sounds like it might be a more recent retro effort but it pulls it off with distinction. Nice guitar lead. I like this. Good start.

First time I heard this I thought "Mix Club disc opener. "Dragster" by Johnny Fortune. The real McCoy, not retro. Least-ways this is not your average Indie band look:-

Track 2 - U. K. rock with Irish flourishes, probably period, well done. I like the driving beat and the execution. Could be from the original British Invasion but I don't think I've ever heard it so it might not have made to America.

Two really great bands came out of Birmingham during the mid-60s. The Move were objectively better but the Idle Race were my favourites. "Hurry Up John".Despite the excesses and eventual retreat into blandness, I still think Jeff Lynne is one of the good guys.

Track 3 - Also Britpop, I don't like this one as well. Not bad, just not as much going on musically and I'm not connecting with it. Nice drum part. The singer's voice does sound familiar but I've seen with mixes that I can convince myself that almost any voice sounds familiar. Curious about the reveal.

Freakbeat favourites the Attack and "Go Your Way". Richard Shirman on vocals (and David O'List, later of the Nice, on lead).

Track 4 - Similar story here. It's well played but the British anthemic pub flavor doesn't really do it for me. I like the pieces, tasteful horns, good drumming.

"Violin Shop" - The Alan Bown Set.When 60s psych-pop bands weren't singing about teatime, drinking tea or getting back in time for tea, they also seemed to go for shopkeepers and craftsmen - watchmakers, cobblers. etc. Strange days indeed.

Track 5 - Great track, love the acoustic guitar beginning. The lyrics are clever and vocals well done. Again, a decidedly British flavor, probably from over 40 years ago. I like this.

"Dear Elvis Presley" - a track from UK Kaleidoscope's unreleased (at the time) third album, White-faced Lady.

Track 6 - Another one from across the pond. The voice sounds familiar but I can't quite place it. I'm sure I have music by this artist. I don't like this as much of the others, just too all over place. It's interesting how these UK songs wear their Beatles influence on the their sleeve. In fact, that is almost a subtheme of this mix, the Beatles imprint is everywhere . . . but maybe that can be said about many songs in many countries.

This was actually a UK hit single way back in 1973. Duncan Browne was one of those posh-boy singer-songwriters a la Nick Drake, Clifford T Ward so in vogue at the time. This one's "The Journey".

Track 7 - More recent, this one has been a grower. Doleful vocals, good musicians. The horns sound really good.

Keeping it posh, the lately-lamented Kevin Ayers and "Cold Shoulders" from his final album, The Unfairground.

Track 8 - Finally a voice I know - Bjork. I'm a Bjork fan, at least the more accessible version. This song is in that group. Nice orchestral arrangement, I don't think I've heard this before. I like it. Of course it'll probably turn out it's not Bjork but somebody like Aretha Franklin. I'm forever getting them confused.

So the good news is it's not Aretha. Unfortunately it's not Bjork either. :D .The wonderful Unthanks and their version of Robert Wyatt's "Out Of The Blue" from Diversions Vol.1

Track 9 - This is one of the highlights of the mix. Indian or Middle Eastern guitars take the lead on this instrumental. It's almost 10 minutes long but doesn't outstay it's welcome. Really nice. I will probably buy the album this comes from.

Well, I wish I could :lol: .This just sort of "turned up" in my iTunes, probably on some mix I downloaded from some dodgy source or other. It's called "The Silence of a Candle" by a band called Oregon. Further research pointed me to their 1972 debut Music From Another Present Era which I duly bought but the version on that is not the lovely 9 and a half minute thing you hear here. I think this is a live version and I think it's on their anthology "Jade Muse". No matter, they are a band I'm going to be exploring for a while yet.

Track 10 - Another Brit song, pleasant but not grabbing me like some of the others. It's somewhat of a grower too so we'll see. It kinda has Fairpointy verses and a power pop chorus. I have trouble understanding the lyrics to some of these.

The Holy Mackerel, a band formed by Paul Williams in 1968 who only made one album but it's a good 'un. Admittedly the lyrics to this one, "1984", are complete tosh but what an arrangement.

Track 11 - Ok, I think we've got a song paroding bubblegum music performed in a bubblegum style. It's done in an ensemble group and sounds like it could have a stage origin. They don't quite pull it off for me, not strong enough musically. I'm eclectic to a fault and I do like a lot of music that would be considered twee or bubblegum but it's very song specific. I don't like most of the genre.

Deep into the sunshine/vanilla pop territory here so this doesn't take any prisoners. It really is music from another century but I find the genre endlessly fascinating. The Free Design and "Bubbles".

Track 12 - More sunshine pop. It sounds pretty recent. Lots of layered instruments, vocals, and sounds but it's not for me. It tries hard but sorry, no.

More of the same I'm afraid. Harpers Bizarre and "Small Talk"

Track 13 - A really nice easy singer/songwriter song. It's overproduced but pleasant. Another familiar sounding voice.

The start of a bit of a "dark" sequence to finish the mix off. Curt Boettcher and the title track from the Misty Mirage" collection.

Track 14 - Yes! Doo Wop! I'm a big fan of this kind of stuff. I don't recognize this but it is great, probably my favorite song on the mix. I know this is probably an obscure group from the 50s but if these guys made an album I will buy it! Great selection!

"The Wind" by the fantastically- named Nolan Strong and the Diablos.

Track 15 - We close with the most incongruous track on the mix. It sounds like Marlena Dietrich singing in German (?) backed by a choir. It's arranged like an opera piece and well recorded. Not unpleasant. I would have liked to hear more of the choir.

"Sombre Dimanche", eventually recorded (and banned) by Billie Holiday as "Gloomy Sunday",here in its French ( :D ) original version by a lady just called Damia. Fascinating story about the song on Wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloomy_Sunday

{quote="Nick Danger"]Thanks Mixer for a very entertaining disc. You managed to pick stuff I'd like with almost no clues. I'm sure I will continue to listen to this in the future and I will be seeking out some of these artists. I thought mix club was free.[/quote]

Cheers H. I decided to try Uk psych and US sunshine pop (and some other stuff). Half right at least :lol: . Hope you stick with mix club and your wallet can take the strain.

LISTING

1. "Dragster" - Johnny Fortune
2. "Hurry Up John" - The Idle Race
3. "Go Your Way"" - The Attack
4. "Violin Shop" - The Alan Bown Set
5. "Dear Elvis Presley" - Kaleidoscope
6. "The Journey" - Duncan Browne
7. "Cold Shoulders" - Kevin Ayers
8 "Out Of The Blue" - The Unthanks
9. "The Silence of a Candle" - Oregon
10. "1984" - The Holy Mackerel
11. "Bubbles" - The Free Design
12. "Small Talk" - Harper's Bizarre
13. "Misty Mirage" - Curt Boettcher
14, "The Wind" - Nolan Strong and the Diabolos
15. "Sombre Dimanche" - Damia

Duncan

Postby Duncan » 06 Dec 2013, 21:13

The Fish wrote:A Sgt Pepper mix this time out, usually carries some sort of quality guarantee. Titled "Beardy Music". I would have preferred a bit of "wooly jumper" beardiness to some of the "chin stroking" beardiness here and the mix did judder to quite an alarming halt for me after track 13, but there was plenty to enjoy still.

Ayup. Apologies for the late, sloppy reveal. You must mildly scald me during my Mix Club performance review meeting tomorrow.

Anyway, I tried something a bit different this month. I'm not sure exactly what the plan was apart from attempting some kind of relatively relaxed folky-country summer evening vibe to warm your winter ear-holes.

The Fish wrote:1) All a bit “chill” which isn’t usually my thing, but this is a lot closer to John Martyn for example and worked a lot better for me than some of the later tracks. Solid start (if not Solid Air :lol: )

Brightblack Morning - Black Feather Wishes Rise. I was going for a slo-mo start. I dig the druggy atmospherics and languid guitarscapes.

The Fish wrote:2) Neko Case – Excellent

Aye. This one is called South Tacoma Way from the Furnace Room Lullaby album. I could quite happily listen to Neko sing the phone book.

The Fish wrote:3) Banjo, mandolin, fiddle and God bothering. Always a recipe for success in my book.

This is the Dillards getting unexpectedly touched in a satisfying manner.

The Fish wrote:4) Female vocalist I should probably recognize. I probably own tons of stuff like this (quite possibly including this !!) and while it’s nothing earth shattering I can always stand to listen to stuff like this.

Tres Chicas - Slip So Easily. The rest of the album (Bloom, Red and Ordinary Girl) is largely unremarkable but this is one of the loveliest americana (or whatever you want to call it) ballads I've heard for years.

The Fish wrote:5) Probably my favourite track here and another voice I’m sure I should know. 60s pop style. A bit Dustyish and a bit Spector/Shangri-Las style. Manages to have that big sound without sounding at all overblown. Terrific.

Kathy McCord - I Will Never Be Alone Again. Recorded on a tiny label in 1968, this is a pretty obscure track so I don't think that there's much room for further investigation unfortunately. It's obviously been transferred straight from the vinyl for a cool little comp of similar things called Women Blue (Past & Present Records)

The Fish wrote:6) I think I recognize this as Midlake. Haven’t played this in a while.

Yup, Midlake with Roscoe. I hadn't heard it for a while either before remembering that it might drop nicely in here.

The Fish wrote:7) Male/Female duet which reveals itself to be Loretta Lynn and Conway Twitty. I’ll still take George and Tammy as the go to pairing but this is fun within the country war of the sexes remit and suitably tongue in cheek.

The track's called You're The Reason That Our Kids Are Ugly. It's daft and makes me smile.

The Fish wrote:8) Not unpleasant but all a bit inconsequential. A puff of wind could blow this into the middle of next week but I liked it well enough.

I've been obsessing over this track since I was reminded of its existence on Brother Spoon's 2000 thread. It's certainly delicate, but also warm and fuzzy and makes me feel all cosy. It's Gorky's Zygotic Mynci with Face Like Summer.

The Fish wrote:9) The next three were intriguing as on first listen you could almost believe they were from the same album, experimenting in different styles. We start with an odd funk intro (you could almost believe the first ten seconds were The Meters) leading into more of a folk dirge style. An odd one but it does kind of work.

This is Philly folkster Susan Christie and the track is Paint A Lady. I love the weird beat-heavy folk-funk rhythm section.

The Fish wrote:10) Similarly funky but here leading into a 60s girl pop sound (although quite possibly later) Again it works.

Nancy Priddy (Christina Applegate's mother, trivia fans) with You've Come This Way Before. From the recently reissued album of the same name (her only album, released in 1968). I love this kind of folk-pop-psyche-jazz dabbling.

The Fish wrote:11) Folky feel here breaking out into a bit of sunshine pop. I like the voice despite some suspicious Baez warble at times. This one is a pure joy.

I can't give you much to go on here either. It's a group called 3's A Crowd with Bird Without Wings. I don't know much else about the band, but this track was produced by Mama Cass on the Dunhill label.

The Fish wrote:12) Starts out like a spaghetti western . The song itself is a bit lightweight in the verse but things pick up when the main chorus kicks in. Ended up liking this one on balance.

The Volebeats - The Sky And The Ocean. From the album of the same name, which is probably my favourite alt-country record not made by Uncle Tupelo.

The Fish wrote:13) The vocal here is not much more than a drawl but I’m pretty forgiving and generally like stuff like this. Slight for sure but definitely enjoyable.

This is Silver Jews with Random Rules. The guest drawling is from Pavement's Steve Malkmus.

The Fish wrote:14) Like the loose feel to this and the detuned twang of the guitar. Unfortunately there are two different voices here and I hated them both with a passion.

Ha. I love it's crappy amateur lo-fi charm, but I guess it's not for everyone. The band is D+. The track is called Pre-Amp.

The Fish wrote:15) Something in Portuguese, presumably Brazilian. I can see some merit in this and there’s definitely some good playing but it’s all a bit too “chill” for me. I’d much prefer to listen to Terry Callier for example.

I think that this is a groovy, stripped-down, bass-heavy cracking slab of blues-folk, but fair enough. It was recorded by a band called Breakout in 1971 and it's called Warm Up Your Lips. They're actually from Poland.

The Fish wrote:16) Song shoehorning in the names of as many chocolate bars as possible. I remember a whole Rich Hall routine based on this idea. I must admit I struggled to get past the smugness here.

Aye, well this was intended as a light-hearted throwaway two minute closer. The band, of which I know nothing, is Howard Walker featuring the Bombthrowers and the track, recorded in 1970, is Eat Me.

The Fish wrote:Thanks Duncan. I'm certainly after investigating 5 and 11

No worries, unfortunately your two favourite tracks are probably investigation dead-ends, but I'm glad you enjoyed the mix (for the most part). See you soon...

T. Willy Rye
Spinner of crazy fuck-ass shit

Postby T. Willy Rye » 07 Dec 2013, 05:53

Sgt Pepper wrote:OK, time to pull your finger out, Duncan.

This was me, but maybe you gathered that.

1. Punky goodness from the early days (by the sound of it). I probably ought to know what this is, but I don't. I like it though, it's satisfactorily equal parts snotty and fun.

The Saints with I'm Stranded. Ange recently lauded this and as always Ange is right-- this shit is pretty great. I inexplicably hadn't really gone through a Saints period in my life, now they seem to be a consistent go to. 44 year-old Prius driver and father or two. I'm getting gold teeth and throwing on Illmatic next.

2. This is AMAZING. Ye ye pop daftness with psychedelic vampy organ, funky horns and that totally unexpected ghostly vocal wail thing that comes out of nowhere. Where on earth did you dig this up from?

Oh man if you don't have this,

then I must insist you get your hands on it STAT. Happy to throw it up on dropbox.

3. Groovy garage punk that completely sucks you in. Ticks all of the important boxes and covers all of your 60s garage requirements. Lots of attitude, an engaging riff, no fluff. Lovely.

Zakary Thaks from one of the Nuggets comps.

4. Ah, this one I know, although I did have to check my iTunes to make sure. It's Circles by Fleur de Lys. I assume that's Jimmy Page having the wild guitar wig-out. Cracking drumming, too. Wonderful stuff.

Yep, I think you're right about Jimmy Page.

5. A similar vintage to the last couple and equally worthy. They clearly didn't spend all that long on the lyrics but it hardly seems to matter.

Yeah, I don't think Wildesque word play would work with this track. Randy and the Radiants with My Way of Thinking recorded for Sun Studios

6. YES! Big booming soul vocals and a groovy horn section to die for. Makes my appendages move in peculiar ways. A definite favourite.

I think Little Milton is another one Ange hipped me to. I don't love all of his stuff, but this one is pretty undeniable. Moanin' for You Girl

7. Back to the garage pop goodness. This one has some jaunty harmonica and is charmingly ramshackle. Another winner.

The Outcasts with I'm in Pittsburgh from the Pebbles Comp.

8. These guys seem to be having a great time. This kind of thing must have been a blast to play live. It's another great track. How could anyone not like a song with that organ riff?

A more recent outing- the Dirtbombs with Your Lover Belongs Under a Rock

9. A bluesy twist. Some playful lyrics and a swinging groove. I'm not the world's biggest electric blues fan but this is definitely enjoyable.

I get you, but Johnny Guitar Watson's gotta get his due. This is Hot Little Mama from well, pretty damned early.

10. Slightly less keen on this one, although I do dig the jazzy piano. It's just a bit repetitive and I'm not feeling the guitar solo. It's not bad, just not really my thing.

Fair enough. This one is from the Jewell or the Paula Blues Label- not sure which. This is Al Prince. Kinda peters out toward the end, but I like the opening.

11. Ah, well this is unmistakeably Howlin Wolf. This is definitely blues that I can get behind. That voice could strip a skirting board in 30 seconds. Killer.

Kind of an obvious pick, but it's been pretty insistent lately. Can't turn my back on it. Spoonful.

12. This is pretty decent, too. I know the the song, but not this version, although the the vocals are frustratingly familiar. The crisp guitar sound really jumps out the speakers. Cool stuff.

This is Junior Wells with Messin' with the Kid. It's been covered by a lot of people. This is a live track from the 60s, so not the original, but it is a Wells song.

13. Ooh, the mighty Superchunck with Punch Me Harder. No Pocky For Kitty was a blistering record and I thoroughly enjoyed hearing this again. I can't believe the record is 22 years old, although I only discovered it myself about ten years ago during my earnest early 20s DIY indie period. It still evokes some very fond memories of the time, though. Nice.

You're much younger than me. I think I bought my copy in early '92 in Boston if memory serves me. It was damned cold.

14. And this has to be Built To Spill. One of my favourite bands from that period of my life. I've lost track of them these days, but they had a pretty consistent run of great albums for a while there. I can't remember this particular track but I must have it somewhere.

I'm not sure if Ancient Melodies of the Future is held in the same esteem as some of the other records. Shoot I'm not sure Built to Spill is held in high esteem, but they are certainly one of my faves from the mid 90s to early 00s. This is Trimmed and Burning.

15. No idea who this is, but it has a nice warm, fuzzy, droney, druggy vibe in the same sort of ballpark as someone like Galaxie 500 or Spiritualized, except this has a bit more momentum. I like it a lot, although it's probably a small doses kinda deal.

Good guess with Galaxy, Dean Wareham's other band Luna from their record Penthouse. With 23 Minutes in Brussels

16. This is a bit darker and more epic-sounding. The song structure (particularly the big soaring chorus) and the vocals remind me a little bit of Greg Dulli. I haven't been keeping up with the Twilight Singers, so it could well be him. I really like it though. I'll definitely go and check out more stuff by this lot.

Can't get nutin' contemporary by you. This is Dulli's band Twilight Singers from their record Dynamite Steps. I still have time for most things Dulli. Once upon a time his releases were absolute must hears in my world, but now his albums are spotty but sprinkled with gems. After more than 20 years, that's enough.

Thanks loads mix chum. I enjoyed every track except for perhaps number 10, although that was far from being a clunker. I also loved World Beat 86 to pieces, but don't tell me what's on that yet. Given that December's Mix Club is looking increasingly unlikely, I'll probably get round to reviewing that too over the next couple of weeks.

Thanks again. I'm off on a Built To Spill binge now.

So glad you liked it. Let me know if I can put anything on dropbox for your to peruse.

1. I'm Stranded- The Saints
2. Kiiro No Sekai- J. Girls
3. Won't Come Back- Zackary Thaks
4. Circles- Les Fleur De Lys
5. My Way of Thinking- Randy and the Radiants
6. Moanin' for You Girl- Little Milton
7. I'm In Pittsburgh- The Outcast
8. Your Lover Belongs Under a Rock- The Dirtbombs
9. Hot Little Mama- Johnny Guitar Watson
10. True Love- Al Prince
11. Spoonful- Howlin' Wolf
12. Messin' With the Kid- Junior Wells Chicago Band
13. Punch Me Harder- Superchunk
14. Trimmed and Burning- Built to Spill
15. 23 Minutes in Brussels- Luna
16. Waves- The Twilight Singers

Duncan

Postby Duncan » 07 Dec 2013, 14:46

Fab, thanks. I do have that Nippon Girls comp. I've even used it a few times in Mix Club. I can't believe that track never stood out before. Cheers again.

whodathunkit

Postby whodathunkit » 09 Dec 2013, 21:44

A bit late with this but it was a big old thing and I've given it quite a few listens. Some very good stuff on this and also, thankfully, a few things to moan about.( :D )

1.African percussion and a little bit of kora but then an American (?) female voice comes in. Pulled a face at this initially but it's really grown on me.
2. Unknown excellent soul track which seems to be a about tree surgery, The bloke going "Ha!" in the background is the star. Nice organ and sax break. Top notch stuff.
3. Something poppy from pub rock/Nick Lowe days. Lovely wurlitzer-type organ sound. Nobody could not like this sort of thing.
4. Super revved-up version of "Mule Skinner Blues". The excellence continues. Beautifully played but not over-respectful. Want some more of this lot whoever they are.
5. Cutesy girl sings cutesy song. Nothing wrong with that. Lots of it about. Very pleasant.
6. Now you're talking. The Watersons and "Dido Bendigo" from what we used to call the red album. Probably a little incongrous in this company but who fucking cares.
7. Twee little thing about the land of somewhere or other. Boettcherish vocals. Loved it.
8. Song from the "In My Room/Up On the Roof" tradition. Nicely played but unfortunately the guy has one of those whiney sub-Lou Reed voices that always wind me up.
9. Got to be Steve Marriott. It's certainly in the Humble Pie tradition of great performance/shit song. I do miss this sort of white boy blues thing though.
10. Wonderful power-pop track. Fountains of Wayne. Whatever, its a deffo mix highlight.
11. Very interesting. You don't get too many Procul Harum covers. She does a good job with this BUT...... the whole charm of "Magdelene" is that it's a miniature, come and gone all too fleetingly. So she starts all over again halfway through :( . That's so wrong. Intriguing though.
12. More moaning I'm afraid :D . Slick modern-day country thing. The sound is perfect, the playing immaculate, he's put just the right amount of gravel into his vocals and it engages me not one jot.
13. Same problem as 9 . Tedious song about a brothel with some fantastic Meters-style playing. Should have just been an instrumental.
14. Nice version (there ain't a bad one) of "Tennessee Flat-top Box". Very enjoyable although it does have the smell of Batley Variety Club about it.
15. The moaning stops here. Wonderful female gospel voice tackling "Walk Around Heaven All Day" with great aplomb.Funny how, as I approach my dotage, I seem to have developed a bit of a "thing" for gospel. I don't think there's much chance of a late conversion. It just seems to go that extra mile.
16. Nice subdued little indie song. That's about it.
17. A prime slab of all-American ROARKKK!. Has to be John Fogerty. Haven't bothered with him much since CCR. By the sound of this, I should have done. An absolute cracker.
18. Nice closer. Female voices and piano. Sort of a lullaby thing. Sweet.

Nice work Gaffer. Tell me more, oh piscine one.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 10 Dec 2013, 20:18

whodathunkit wrote:A bit late with this but it was a big old thing and I've given it quite a few listens. Some very good stuff on this and also, thankfully, a few things to moan about.( :D )

Not that many moans. I'll try and find Chet Baker covering Kate Bush for next time :D

One slight problem here is that the playlist I saved of this appears to be in a different order, although I can match up most. I'll add timings to the list at the end in case I've got any wrong.

1.African percussion and a little bit of kora but then an American (?) female voice comes in. Pulled a face at this initially but it's really grown on me.

Ashley Maher - I had her first two albums from the early 90s and then a third appeared in 97. Then this year I noticed there was another from 2006 I didn't even know about. That's where this is taken from.

2. Unknown excellent soul track which seems to be a about tree surgery, The bloke going "Ha!" in the background is the star. Nice organ and sax break. Top notch stuff.

If ever there was such a thing as a safe bet for Mix Club material then it's any half decent (i.e just about any) New Orleans funk comp. Candy Philips and Timber

3. Something poppy from pub rock/Nick Lowe days. Lovely wurlitzer-type organ sound. Nobody could not like this sort of thing.

The man himself. Who doesn't love Basher ?

4. Super revved-up version of "Mule Skinner Blues". The excellence continues. Beautifully played but not over-respectful. Want some more of this lot whoever they are.

You've accidentally mentioned the name already. This is Muleskinner, makeshift band featuring Peter Rowan David Grisman and Clarence White.

5. Cutesy girl sings cutesy song. Nothing wrong with that. Lots of it about. Very pleasant.

I think this is The Submarines. Had a track on a previous Mix Club disc and took a punt. Great poppy stuff.

6. Now you're talking. The Watersons and "Dido Bendigo" from what we used to call the red album. Probably a little incongrous in this company but who fucking cares.

If this had got the thumbs down I'd have given up :D

7. Twee little thing about the land of somewhere or other. Boettcherish vocals. Loved it.

I know you like a lot of this stuff, sort of mild psych/sunshine pop crossover. You know the name here for sure. Gary Usher.

8. Song from the "In My Room/Up On the Roof" tradition. Nicely played but unfortunately the guy has one of those whiney sub-Lou Reed voices that always wind me up.

Again best guess suggest this is Ben Kweller.

9. Got to be Steve Marriott. It's certainly in the Humble Pie tradition of great performance/shit song. I do miss this sort of white boy blues thing though.

Small Faces. Not sure I would go quite as far as shit song. I'll concede it's no All Or Nothing, but it has something. A minor gem from their later catalogue.

10. Wonderful power-pop track. Fountains of Wayne. Whatever, its a deffo mix highlight.

I used a track from this last month. Didn't know anything about this lot until it appeared in Brother Spoon's 2000 albums thread. The band is Cherry Twister. Took a punt on this for £1.50 from Amazon and haven't regretted it. Copies to be had under £3 still.

11. Very interesting. You don't get too many Procul Harum covers. She does a good job with this BUT...... the whole charm of "Magdelene" is that it's a miniature, come and gone all too fleetingly. So she starts all over again halfway through :( . That's so wrong. Intriguing though.

Thought you might know either the song or the singer or both. This is Jennifer Warnes.

12. More moaning I'm afraid :D . Slick modern-day country thing. The sound is perfect, the playing immaculate, he's put just the right amount of gravel into his vocals and it engages me not one jot.

Well I'll pick up on the "Playing is immaculate" phrase as that's what it's about here in the context of the album. I actually changed the track at the last minute. Anyway again you may know the name from way back. This is a solo album from John Platania, the guitarist from Van's famous Caledonia Soul Orchestra years. The album is a bit of a hotch potch of country, blues, jazz and whatever.

13. Same problem as 9 . Tedious song about a brothel with some fantastic Meters-style playing. Should have just been an instrumental.

Eric Quincy Tate

14. Nice version (there ain't a bad one) of "Tennessee Flat-top Box". Very enjoyable although it does have the smell of Batley Variety Club about it.

:D John Langford from his album of Cash covers as The Pine Valley Cosmonauts

15. The moaning stops here. Wonderful female gospel voice tackling "Walk Around Heaven All Day" with great aplomb.Funny how, as I approach my dotage, I seem to have developed a bit of a "thing" for gospel. I don't think there's much chance of a late conversion. It just seems to go that extra mile.

Looking for material I cam across one of the Birth of Soul discs on the pile (Vol 2) so gave that a spin to see what leaped out at me. This was the first track so didn't have long to wait - The Caravans

16. Nice subdued little indie song. That's about it.

If previous guesses are correct this by process of elimination leads me to believe this must be Sparklehorse

17. A prime slab of all-American ROARKKK!. Has to be John Fogerty. Haven't bothered with him much since CCR. By the sound of this, I should have done. An absolute cracker.

Not Fogerty, in fact not even American (all or indeed partial) the very British and wonderful Terry Reid. This came out a few years back as a live album but made up of new material.

18. Nice closer. Female voices and piano. Sort of a lullaby thing. Sweet.

Jonatha Brooke and Jennifer Kimball, both had solo careers but together here as the group The Story. The sort of stuff that has the more testosterone fuelled checking their Lillith-meters on full twitch alert but I love it.

Nice work Gaffer. Tell me more, oh piscine one.

As always Bob you're welcome. I know mixing for you I can come up with some winners and am not going to stray too far from the mark

1. Ashley Maher - Lucky 4:41
2. Candy Phillips - Timber Pts 1 and 2 4:03
3. Nick Lowe - Darlin' Angel Eyes 2:45
4. Muleskiner - Muleskinner Blues 3:17
5. The Submarines - Swimming Pool 3:18
6. The Watersons - Dido Bendigo 2:56
7. Gary Usher - In The Land Of Change 1:50
8. Ben Kweller - My Apartment 3:57
9. Small Faces - Playmates 3:38
10. Cherry Twister - Black Summer 4:04
11. Jennifer Warnes - Magdalene 3:45
12. John Platania - Lucky Dog 3:11
13. Eric Quincy Tate - Hooker House 3:01
14. The Pine Valley Cosmonauts - Tennessee Flat Top Box 2:35
15. The Caravans - Walk Around Heaven All day 3:48
16. Sparklehorse - Shad And Honey 4:08
17. Terry Reid - Secrets 5:14
18. The Story - In The Gloaming 3:18

We're way past rhubarb

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 10 Dec 2013, 21:14

My mixer delivered a blues heavy CD this month. That’s alright, I’ll take the Blues anyday.

01. Piano instrumental. He must know about my ‘love’ for Costello by leaving him off this track and let Toussaint do the playing. Good start.

02. BB King is swinging the blues here. Sell my monkey.

03. This sounds old and it’s rocking the blues. Mixed up? I sure am but it’s a great song.

04. Heavy instrumental. It’s Booker T and must be from one of his later albums. Not as light as his playing with the MG’s.

05. Slowed down, also heavy on the organ. I like this one a lot. No idea who.

06. I’m not too fond of Capt Beefheart but here he at least delivers a normal song.

07. Slide blues, fairly standard format. Sounds like a hole in my pocket. Not so special.

08. Slow bass and harmonica start it off. Also standard stuff but no idea who this is.

09. Steve Earl The revolution starts now. Truthfully I liked him better in his Guitar Town days. This sounds rather anthemic.

10. The great Gillian Welch. Look at Miss Ohio. Slow song, excellent choice.

11. King of Zydeco, Clifton Chenier. Always a joy to hear some rockin’ rhythm.

12. It’s not Nick Lowe but still a good time little swing number. Curious who this is. Great.

13. Is this from vinyl? I can hear the cracks. Anyway, it’s Sleepwalk and probably Santo&Johnny. Another good tearjerker.

14. This guy has got the right voice for this song. Gravelly but light on it. Ain’t nobody home is surely the title but I don’t know the artist. Great song though.

15. I’m a fan from his time with the Hollywood Blue Flames. It’s Michael ‘Hollywood Fats’ Mann with a swinging blues outro.

Yeah, all in all great stuff, dear mixer.

I’m very curious about the ones I know nothing about. Specially numbers 3, 5, 12 and 14.

TG

Postby TG » 11 Dec 2013, 01:54

Walk In My Shadow wrote:My mixer delivered a blues heavy CD this month. That’s alright, I’ll take the Blues anyday.

I was your mixer this month but got your name very late as someone else dropped out. I had to put it together quickly and noticed that bluesy material might just work fine. I am little bummed that you already knew so much of it. I'll have to dig waaay deeper next time.

01. Piano instrumental. He must know about my ‘love’ for Costello by leaving him off this track and let Toussaint do the playing. Good start.

It is Mr. Toussaint doing a piece that is one of my favorite pieces of music over the last few years. It's called Tipitina And Me and is his minor key take on the Professor Longhair classic. Listen closely at the end and he throws in a final flourish that is Go To The Mardi Gras' opening lick.

02. BB King is swinging the blues here. Sell my monkey.

I love this 80s track by BB. The playing is superb and the song is funny as hell. I was even more happy when I found it on a B-side and didn't have to buy the LP.

03. This sounds old and it’s rocking the blues. Mixed up? I sure am but it’s a great song.

Ah, yes. Betty James doing I'm A Little Mixed Up. On the Checker label but picked up from a smaller label in the Carolinas (I think). Strangely enough, if you go to YouTube you'll find several contemporary covers of it. I really like the two guitar parts and her resigned vocals. A Mix Club entry more than once.

04. Heavy instrumental. It’s Booker T and must be from one of his later albums. Not as light as his playing with the MG’s.

Booker T it is. Warped Sister from his record of a few years ago backed by the Drive By Truckers and Neil Young. This is from a Record Store Day 45. I still need to get the whole album.

05. Slowed down, also heavy on the organ. I like this one a lot. No idea who.

Dap Tone Records own The Budos Band doing a rather odd version of Day Tripper. I think it's from the B-side of a split single with Sharon Jones. I can't remember! I like this a lot.

06. I’m not too fond of Capt Beefheart but here he at least delivers a normal song.

I'm surprised you sussed out that this was the Captain. Knowing it's him I would, of course, recognize the voice but if I didn't know I'm not sure I would. It's called So Glad, is an East L.A. soul ballad and could have been a hit in this town if it had been pushed properly. I love Beefheart when he does songs with recognizable structures. This is one of my favorites of his.

07. Slide blues, fairly standard format. Sounds like a hole in my pocket. Not so special.

I like this a lot. L.A.'s own Top Jimmy - one the blues beltingest white boys I've ever seen. His (and his band The Rhythm Pigs') Monday night residency at Hollywood's long gone Cathay de Grande club were something to behold. They are still spoken of in reverent tones by those who witnessed them. That he lived as long as he did was more amazing than that he died so young. As David Lee Roth would say -
Top Jimmy cooks!
Top Jimmy swings!
He's got the look! Woo!
Top Jimmy, he's the king!

08. Slow bass and harmonica start it off. Also standard stuff but no idea who this is.

Canned Heat doing some more pretty extraordinary white boy blues. A cover of Sonny Boy Williamson's Nine Below Zero. This has a real ring of authenticity to me.

09. Steve Earl The revolution starts now. Truthfully I liked him better in his Guitar Town days. This sounds rather anthemic.

I love this track. I suppose it has much to do with its release during the time of Obama's first election and the feeling that the country was moving to someplace new. A black man would actually be elected President. I never thought I'd see it in my lifetime. And for all that has stayed the same and gotten even worse in this country we still turned a page and did something I didn't think we could. I was ecstatic and this song kind of goes along with that whole reverie. Plus it rocks like a mother. I've been a fan since the Guitar Town days but I think he's put out more good music than most of his contemporaries over the ensuing decades.

10. The great Gillian Welch. Look at Miss Ohio. Slow song, excellent choice.

My better half is from Cleveland, Ohio and this song often makes me think of her - a very good thing. I think Gillian is an amazing talent and would listen to her sing almost anything.

11. King of Zydeco, Clifton Chenier. Always a joy to hear some rockin’ rhythm.

Eh, Petite Fille from the Specialty label. I know he's the accordion king and all, but I'd love to know who is playing piano on this because they are the star of this track. I once saw Clifton play live at Verbum Dei High School in Watts around 1979. It was an annual event and he and his band played in the school auditorium/cafeteria. On our way there we were wondering if there would be alcohol available.As we arrived we saw everyone carrying in enormous ice chests full of food and booze. We quickly turned around and found a liquor store and let the good times begin rolling. A night I'll not forget.

12. It’s not Nick Lowe but still a good time little swing number. Curious who this is. Great.

A Cajun Swamp Pop "super group" called L'il Band of Gold. This is a cover of John Fred and the Playboy Band's Shirley. I saw these guys live several years ago in a nearly empty club but they still came out and played for the few of us who were there as though it was a full house. It took a long while to get the CD but it was worth the wait.

13. Is this from vinyl? I can hear the cracks. Anyway, it’s Sleepwalk and probably Santo&Johnny. Another good tearjerker.

One of several on the mix from vinyl. I obviously need a cleaner copy but the song is so good I'm not sure it matters. This is almost all I know by Santo and Johnny but if they have more tracks anywhere near this good I'd love to hear 'em.

14. This guy has got the right voice for this song. Gravelly but light on it. Ain’t nobody home is surely the title but I don’t know the artist. Great song though.

Sterling Harrison from his CD of several years ago called South of the Snooty Fox. He had a regular gig at a club down in the 'hood south of Downtown L.A. I don't remember the name of the club but it didn't matter. All you had to do was get on the correct street and it was in the building that was south of the Snooty Fox - a motel with an enormous, garish sign that you could see for blocks in either direction. And it is called Ain't Nobody Home.

15. I’m a fan from his time with the Hollywood Blue Flames. It’s Michael ‘Hollywood Fats’ Mann with a swinging blues outro.

I'm shocked that you would recognize this. Very few do. And Hollywood Fats was another hellacious white blues boy from L.A. I guess we've had a few of them. I used to see him around town playing with likes of The Blasters and James Harman. The man could really wail - and does on this cover of Gatemouth Brown's Okie Dokie Stomp.

Yeah, all in all great stuff, dear mixer.

I’m very curious about the ones I know nothing about. Specially numbers 3, 5, 12 and 14.

I'm glad you enjoyed it even though there was very little new to you.

Tipitina And Me Allen Toussaint
Sell My Monkey B.B. King
I'm a Little Mixed Up Betty James
Warped Sister Booker T (w/The DBTs & N Young)
Day Tripper The Budos Band
I'm Glad Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band
Hole In My Pocket Top Jimmy
Nine Below Zero Canned Heat
The Revolution Starts Now Steve Earle
Look At Miss Ohio Gillian Welch
Eh, Petite Fille Clifton Chenier
Shirley Lil' Band O' Gold
Sleepwalk Santo & Johnny
Ain't Nobody Home Sterling Harrison
Okie Dokie Stomp Hollywood Fats Band
Last edited by TG on 11 Dec 2013, 15:36, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

TG

Postby TG » 11 Dec 2013, 02:49

And now for my insanely late review. All apologies and all that. I've tried twice to get this done and both times got inadvertently logged off the site and lost everything I'd written. And such prose! Alas, it will have to live on in my memory.

So let me try again -

1) What would happen if War made a record with Terry Kath era Chicago? I don't have a clue but I bet it would sound like this. It has an almost Mardi Gras Indian feel to it. Think of the Wild Magnolias. It does break down into a lengthy and rocking solo section with heavier riffing and mucho soloing before a brief reprise of the verse chorus section from the front. I'm very curious about who this might be.

2) The first of several tracks here where I can (I'm pretty sure) name the artist but don't know the song. This pretty much has to be Buddy Guy. What an incredible guitarist.It's no wonder he wielded the influence he did on Hendrix and others in the 60s. This man can really play. At least that's what I'd say if this really is Buddy Guy.

3) One of my favorite songs ever. The Flying Burrito Brothers' Hot Burrito #1. A beautiful and beautifully sung track that has gotten me through some tough times. A fine choice.

4) Again, I'm sure this has to be Lee Dorsey but I don't know this track. It has a more 70s funk thang going on than his early hits and I'd guess that there is more than one of the Meters playing on this track. It just goes to show you that you can never own too many Lee Dorsey records.

5) I recognized Carlos Santana's tone almost immediately on this instrumental medley. I don't recognize much of this but I know he breaks into George Benson's Breezin' at one point. This one doesn't really do much for me.

6) A few years ago I would have quickly dismissed this sort of thing but I've found myself getting more into the likes of Townes Van Zandt and Jimmie Dale Gilmore and the like. This is one such troubadour with an acoustic guitar and voice in a small room and while it's not something I'd put on Friday night before leaving for a party it would sound just fine on a Sunday morning as accompaniment to The NY Times crossword and several cups of coffee. It's the small things as I get older.

7) Here we go again. It's gotta be John Lee Hooker but I don't know the song. He had more power with just an acoustic guitar than many bands with Marshall stacks could muster in an entire tour. This is tremendous. And I need more John Lee Hooker in the racks.

8) This is an amazing find. I know the song (Temptation's 'Bout To Get Me) from the Knight Brothers original. I listened to this track a great many times before the penny dropped - this is The Rascals! One of my favorite bands from my youth and a band I just saw live a few weeks back and fell in love with all over again. I know the singles and some album tracks but not this. Thanks so much to the mixer for hipping me to this version. It's an instant favorite.

9) Lucinda Williams doing Robert Johnson's Ramblin' On My Mind. I know this from the studio version.This is a live version and it is smokin' hot. Lucinda is an amazing talent.

10) Cheesy fuzz guitar and a chick singer doing ESL vocals. I don't really like this but I have to admit that the hook -

Send me a postcard, darling
Send me a postcard, now

gets stuck in my head every time I hear this. Shocking Blue, maybe?

11) One of my favorite rock hits from the past decade or so - Jet doing Are You Gonna Be My Girl? A great riff, snarly vocals and a hook that you can beat with a stick and it still comes out hummable. What's not to love?

12) Is this Gene Pitney? A very operatic, Orbison-esque big, big ballad. I know and mostly love Pitney's hits but don't know this. It's really grown on me with each listen. At least that's what I'd say if this were Gene Pitney.

13) Yeah, baby. Smokey understands. Is this Motown's greatest artist? You could make that argument and win. More Love is an astonishing lyric. And the track - it's worth the price of admission just to hear the string arrangement. I went on a Smokey & the Miracles binge several Fridays ago and it sounded soooo good. Smokey understands...

14) Live Kinks from their 80 stadium days. I love this song (Victoria) but would prefer the studio version to this.

15) The opening riff put me in mind of Thelonius Monk but it soon takes a turn to one of the craziest piano workouts I've ever heard. A little Boogie Woogie, a little barrelhouse and very jazzy at all times. The playing is so fast and so precise that it almost makes me dizzy. Who is this?

16) Some sort of pre Prog Beatles damaged string laden pop. It's very pretty and well produced and I feel like I probably own this but can't place it. The song is a bit slight so it doesn't completely hold me but I'm curious to know if I own this and have forgotten it.

17) A rocked up Peter Gunn theme. Seems like it might be a Brian Setzer solo jam or something. Probably not him but it is an interesting take.

18) And speaking of The Meters! What a great, great band. At nearly eleven minutes long it gives everyone a chance to stretch out and play. And I have to say that Leo Nocentelli is one under rated guitar player. Everything they do seems so seamless and they make it sound so easy. It sure ain't easy to be this funky or this tight. They have few equals.

So, my mystery mixing compadre; thanks for what was a nearly perfect mix with only a couple of low points and some real highs. Looking forward to the reveal so that I can go buy myself something from Santa! And apologies again for my tardiness. Let's hope this one doesn't disappear between this moment and the hitting of the submit button.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

Return to “Mix Club”