File sharing instead of CDs?

Exchange mix CDs with each other.
TG

File sharing instead of CDs?

Postby TG » 30 Sep 2013, 15:44

My plea for membership on YY (http://www.bcb-board.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=120221) was not a rousing success but did attract a couple of new names - thanks to Walk In My Shadow & Apollo's Frock - and some other inquiries. One of the things that came up was using a file sharing service instead of sending actual CDs. I think we should give it a try.

Can we, perhaps, use October as the month that we attempt to go down this new road?

Are there any major problems with this that I am not seeing?

Can we maintain (or even enhance) the anonymity by sending them through a third party?

Can anyone recommend a service that is easy to use and then help some of us older, less tech savvy folks through any issues?

Am I kidding myself?

Might this help Mix Club survive?

What say y'all???
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

Apollo's Frock

Re: File sharing instead of CDs?

Postby Apollo's Frock » 30 Sep 2013, 16:01

I would favour digital tracks in a zipped file over an mp3 cd.

But I was reading the topic in Yakety Yak and a member was saying wav files were too slow etc but I wondered why they would be wav files in the first place.

When I used to create continual mixes I would record in wav and convert to mp3 in one hit. I can understand cd tracks being in wma but would think most people creating a mix for upload would have songs in mp3 format, that's all.

TG

Postby TG » 30 Sep 2013, 16:53

Apollo's Frock wrote:I would favour digital tracks in a zipped file over an mp3 cd.

But I was reading the topic in Yakety Yak and a member was saying wav files were too slow etc but I wondered why they would be wav files in the first place.

I didn't fully understand that either but chalked it up to my lack of tech knowledge. Be that as it may, I still think this is a good idea.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

whodathunkit

Postby whodathunkit » 06 Oct 2013, 09:27

Ok then, so Paul is talking about giving this idea a "test run" and nobody seems to have any strong objections, Time for an idiot to ask some questions.

1. What file-sharing method would be favoured? Do we all have to use the same one? I've recently had a play with Dropbox (for which many thanks T Willy) and this seemed relatively painless. But does it really matter how you do it so long as you get a file to your victim reviewer?
2. Can people still use snail-mail if they want?
3. Should we re-send our addresses to Paul with an email address added?
4. Not terrifically important but any thoughts on preserving anonymity? All the methods I've looked at seem to involve you tapping someone on the shoulder and saying "Excuse me mate, I've got a mix for you". Is there not a way of just sending the thing anonymously?

Let's move things along but please help the technically challenged amongst us.

ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 06 Oct 2013, 13:38

whodathunkit wrote:Ok then, so Paul is talking about giving this idea a "test run" and nobody seems to have any strong objections, Time for an idiot to ask some questions.

1. What file-sharing method would be favoured? Do we all have to use the same one? I've recently had a play with Dropbox (for which many thanks T Willy) and this seemed relatively painless. But does it really matter how you do it so long as you get a file to your victim reviewer?
2. Can people still use snail-mail if they want?
3. Should we re-send our addresses to Paul with an email address added?
4. Not terrifically important but any thoughts on preserving anonymity? All the methods I've looked at seem to involve you tapping someone on the shoulder and saying "Excuse me mate, I've got a mix for you". Is there not a way of just sending the thing anonymously?

dropbox is the easy way for all
you put your files in the public folder, get the download link, put the link in a thread/mail or even in a snail-mail ;-)
then the victim/reviewer download the file
We dont have to use the same provider, as long as you can get a download link to share!
/
what I don't recommend for the use of Dropbox is the folder sharing thingy, as that will lead to a problem with space for all involved. If you add something to a shared folder it will reduce space for all sharing the same folder. So, keep the file in your public folder and deliver the dl-links!
just my thoughts
reg. the anonymously thing, I must admit I dont understand what you are after, as Im not involved in this mix thingy, I guess you wanna send mixes to each other anonymously, or?
Last edited by ConnyOlivetti on 06 Oct 2013, 15:29, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie O. wrote:I think Coan and Googa are right.

Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!

TG

Postby TG » 06 Oct 2013, 15:29

whodathunkit wrote:4. Not terrifically important but any thoughts on preserving anonymity? All the methods I've looked at seem to involve you tapping someone on the shoulder and saying "Excuse me mate, I've got a mix for you". Is there not a way of just sending the thing anonymously?

I'm not sure anonymity matters. I know who sent it around 75% of the time by the post mark, stamps or content of the CD. But if we wanted to really make it anonymous we could agree to forward them for one another. T Willy makes one for Whodathunkit but sends it to me to forward to Whodathunkit. A bit convoluted and can probably be solved other ways. But the content is often a giveaway, anyway.

Which includes me as the above suggestion amply points out.

Return to “Mix Club”