Is there any point anymore?

Exchange mix CDs with each other.
beenieman

Is there any point anymore?

Postby beenieman » 09 Aug 2013, 15:53

Is it time to wrap this up?

It's 10 August, in my hemisphere, and:

1. Still no acknowledgement of receipt of my disc sent on July 14
2. It looks like 4 of us still don't have a disc. That's with just 12 of us participating. So on the surface 33% didn't send a disc by the end of July
3. To date there's been just 2 reviews and 1 reveal
4. There's only 8 people signed up for August though maybe Hookfinger will re-enlist
5. There's no sign of any matches for August
5. It's not monthly anymore. so far this year i think we've done this for January, March, April, May & we're currently meandering through July.

I enjoyed Mix Club. For a while there it was one of the go-to places on the Board. If it worked I'd be happy to do this fortnightly. But i feel like I'm the last one partying when everyone else has gone home or fallen asleep.

That a Board with an appreciation of music at it's core for being and around 200 active members can't share and enjoy music is perhaps part of a general malaise that can be discussed elsewhere though there's likely no point.

Anyway. Time to wrap this up?
One night, an evil spirit held me down
I could not make one single sound
Jah told me, 'Son, use the word'
And now I'm as free as a bird

Duncan

Re: Is there any point anymore?

Postby Duncan » 09 Aug 2013, 16:27

Eep, Mix Club crisis. For what it's worth, I'm still keen. I've particiapted in every month since we started about 5/6 years ago and it's still my favourite part of BCB. It does seem to be a little bit droopy at the moment though.
Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb...

TG

Postby TG » 09 Aug 2013, 19:25

I'd hate to see it go away. I've been involved for about 2 years or so and I always enjoy it.

This has been discussed before but I think might need to be looked into again - should we get away from using snail mail to send these and go to sending files across the interwebs? It can get a bit pricey to send these things several thousand miles and also can add days or weeks to the whole process. If I can just basically click send when I'm done downloading it could speed things up a bit. That would lose the aura of anonymity but I'm not sure it exists much anyway. Or really matters.

I think I joined by seeing a thread on YY and finally taking the time to look into it and deciding it looked like fun. Perhaps we should come up with a new(er) set of rules - how do we send the mixes, how often, etc. - and start another campaign to get new members.

My 2¢.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

beenieman

Postby beenieman » 09 Aug 2013, 22:35

I'd like it to keep going but clearly the present model is failing.

T. Willy Rye
Spinner of crazy fuck-ass shit

Postby T. Willy Rye » 09 Aug 2013, 22:39

TG wrote:I'd hate to see it go away. I've been involved for about 2 years or so and I always enjoy it.

This has been discussed before but I think might need to be looked into again - should we get away from using snail mail to send these and go to sending files across the interwebs? It can get a bit pricey to send these things several thousand miles and also can add days or weeks to the whole process. If I can just basically click send when I'm done downloading it could speed things up a bit. That would lose the aura of anonymity but I'm not sure it exists much anyway. Or really matters.

I think I joined by seeing a thread on YY and finally taking the time to look into it and deciding it looked like fun. Perhaps we should come up with a new(er) set of rules - how do we send the mixes, how often, etc. - and start another campaign to get new members.

My 2¢.

I definitely think this needs to be explored. Dropbox is really easy to use.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 10 Aug 2013, 18:42

beenieman wrote:Is it time to wrap this up?

2. It looks like 4 of us still don't have a disc. That's with just 12 of us participating. So on the surface 33% didn't send a disc by the end of July
4. There's only 8 people signed up for August though maybe Hookfinger will re-enlist

With reference to point 5, I would refer you to points 1-4

I'm happy to do each month before the previous month has completed. This has historically always been the case, but really is there any point starting next month with only a couple of reviews posted ?

It is as always your/our thing and not mine so I'l always take suggestions on board.
We're way past rhubarb

hookfinger

Postby hookfinger » 11 Aug 2013, 15:52

T. Willy Rye wrote:
I definitely think this needs to be explored. Dropbox is really easy to use.

I've really meaning to learn to use this. I think it would be a much more effective way of sharing.
Oh boy is it getting rough, when my old world charm isn't quite enough.

beenieman

Postby beenieman » 11 Aug 2013, 20:53

The Fish wrote:
beenieman wrote:Is it time to wrap this up?

With reference to point 5, I would refer you to points 1-4

I'm happy to do each month before the previous month has completed. This has historically always been the case, but really is there any point starting next month with only a couple of reviews posted ?

It is as always your/our thing and not mine so I'l always take suggestions on board.

I agreed with you in the past ("is there any point starting next month with only a couple of reviews posted") but thinking further on this it means we all hold back for the slowest among us. Instead ofa committment to review in the month, which we used to do, everyone knows that you can take your time with no consequences and there'll be a skip month every once in a while.

Over to you though. We all appreciate what you do here.

Still no July disc here.

Ray K.

Postby Ray K. » 11 Aug 2013, 21:56

I've just put my feet back in the water and would like to see it continue. I've been thrilled with the discs I've received since rejoining. I guess if it's each month, or every other, so be it.

whodathunkit

Postby whodathunkit » 12 Aug 2013, 12:00

Well, we do seem to have unofficially turned into a bi-monthly event. I would be reluctant to accept this formally as folks would start to let that deadline slip as well. The present slowness is in line with the current moribund nature of the whole board. Look at the numbers voting in the cups, polls, etc. I'm happy enough to pooter on like this though I can't see too many new members being attracted by the off chance of getting a disc reviewed sometime in the next 3 or 4 months.

The idea of some sort of on-line exchange has been mooted before. I was always put off because it just felt more satisfying to receive a physical object. However, as I now have a fucking drawer-full of these objects that I don't know what to do with, it would be fine by me. It would put off people who are into doing cover art and the anonymity thing would go but then, with the membership so low, that has long since gone. (By the way TG, I will review soon. Promise :D )

I still don't see how this would speed things up though. Is the delay in sending down to the bind of posting the bloody thing or is it more to do with the actual mixing? And how would it make reviewing happen any quicker? At least you wouldn't have invested so much time and cash, so I suppose every little helps.

I still enjoy mix club despite the frustrations. I just wish there were more of us. Grizzled long-time members may remember the days when there were 30 to 40 every month. We seemed to have turned into a bunch of old mates playing records to each other in somebody's living room. That's fine but it's naturally going to be a lot more informal and casual.

TG

Postby TG » 12 Aug 2013, 17:44

whodathunkit wrote:I still don't see how this would speed things up though. Is the delay in sending down to the bind of posting the bloody thing or is it more to do with the actual mixing? And how would it make reviewing happen any quicker? At least you wouldn't have invested so much time and cash, so I suppose every little helps.

The week or more that these things can spend in transit would be lessened to just a few moments in cyberspace. I would hope that would allow for more speedy reviews. Of course, when it's mid-August and I (and a couple of others) still don't have July mixes it wouldn't do much.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 19 Aug 2013, 10:10

I would be happy to join in but have no way to burn tracks on to a disc. What (apart from the drop in sound quality that shouldn't really matter too much in an exercise like this, which is more about communication than pristine hi-fi quality , and the fact that one would have to strip out the tagging to make it purely anonymous) is wrong with mp3s in a folder?
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Lemon Yoghourt

Postby Lemon Yoghourt » 19 Aug 2013, 11:35

I haven't participated for ages now but I'd be sad to see the Mix Club go.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 19 Aug 2013, 13:44

Rayge wrote:I would be happy to join in but have no way to burn tracks on to a disc. What (apart from the drop in sound quality that shouldn't really matter too much in an exercise like this, which is more about communication than pristine hi-fi quality , and the fact that one would have to strip out the tagging to make it purely anonymous) is wrong with mp3s in a folder?

If you have Windows Media Player (and who doesn't?) you can burn a disc. There's a burn tab at the top. Just drag mp3s from windows explorer and click start burn. This seems a lot simpler than detagging all the files.
We're way past rhubarb

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 19 Aug 2013, 13:49

The Fish wrote:If you have Windows Media Player (and who doesn't?)

Me. I've never used Windows.
But the main problem is I don't have a functioning CD drive in any of my Macs
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 19 Aug 2013, 13:57

Rayge wrote:
The Fish wrote:If you have Windows Media Player (and who doesn't?)

Me. I've never used Windows.
But the main problem is I don't have a functioning CD drive in any of my Macs

The apple mafia strikes again :D
We're way past rhubarb

Return to “Mix Club”