April 2013 Reviews

Exchange mix CDs with each other.
The Fish
Beer Battered

Re: April 2013 Reviews

Postby The Fish » 11 May 2013, 15:27

Disc this month from T Willy Rye and pretty damn fine start to finish too...

1) Well we’re off to a solid start with Steve Earle. Gotta love Steve Earle
2) Is this Hank ? Hank song and kinda sounds like Hank but can’t quite decide 100%. Good version and if it is Hank then ‘nuff said.
3) As the country vibe continues I’m doubting myself here again. This sure as hell sounds like Emmylou but I can’t place the song. It’s great in any case
4) Well this thing is an absolute monster. The bass begins with more a rumble than a riff. The horns go for the punch rather than finesse, even a bum note or two but who cares when the whole thing cooks like this. Great vocal which I should probably recognize. Full on with a bit of JB rasp. Cracking stuff.
5) A pretty standard blues workout but a great almost blues shouter style vocal and one of those great sloppy twangy guitar solos.
6) Mini skirt Minnie by I think Wilson Pickett. Can’t argue with that.
7) This is quite slight at its core, but packs in a hell of a lot of energy and I’m always a sucker for a bit of mad guitar and a honking sax
8) Stuff like this can sometimes veer into smooth or noodly territory but this works a treat as sax, trumpet and what sounds like electric piano all take a lead as the horns keep the gas turned up throughout.
9) This is a sort of blind spot for me. Keep meaning to investigate Brazilian music more which I assume is what this is. I have my Getz/Gilbertos but a lot of the vocals drive me mad with that kind of biddly bom bom bounce although I like some things I’ve heard. Didn’t hate this but didn’t quite do it for me.
10) This one was OK but sort of fell between two stools for me. I can get with anything more lyrical or more funky but this was just a bit dense and I struggled to get a handle on it.
11) You could certainly say this was a bit dense too, but the heavier vibe and mad guitar pulled this one off. Is it just me or is there a repeated section of a few notes that sound just like something from Hendrix. Can’t think what it reminds me of off the top of my head, maybe Manic Depression ?
12) Nice country soul vibe. Sure I should know the singer.
13) Like the singer and the way she alternates between full blown mode and singing “under” the song. Lots of light and shade here without resorting to the usual vocal trickery. Nice.
14) Back to country and this sure as hell ticks all the boxes
15) Given that I often have trouble in Mix Club placing something that I know that I know, it’s odd that barely a second into this I thought Chris Smither even before the vocal started. I’d never thought of his guitar style being quite that unique but I guess it must be. Terrific.
16) Another one that falls between two stools. Call me Mr Picky. I like the voice well enough but this lacks real country soul and fails to really cook up a storm like the rockabilly end of the country spectrum. Sounds like country dumbed down a bit for the pop crossover market, or maybe someone from the pop world trying to put a bit of country twang into the mix. Pleasant enough though.
17) Wow this is great. Terrific closer. This always simmers just below the surface. A delicious slow burn a bit into Lanegan/Dulli territory. Love it.

Thanks Eric.
We're way past rhubarb

T. Willy Rye
Spinner of crazy fuck-ass shit

Postby T. Willy Rye » 11 May 2013, 18:21

The Fish wrote:Disc this month from T Willy Rye and pretty damn fine start to finish too...

1) Well we’re off to a solid start with Steve Earle. Gotta love Steve Earle

Yep, from The Mountain with the Del McCoury Band. This is Yours Forever Blue.

2) Is this Hank ? Hank song and kinda sounds like Hank but can’t quite decide 100%. Good version and if it is Hank then ‘nuff said.

This is George singing Hank from his Salutes Hank Williams record. This is Half as Much . Strange how two Georges were alive when I made this mix, but now they're both gone. RIP.

3) As the country vibe continues I’m doubting myself here again. This sure as hell sounds like Emmylou but I can’t place the song. It’s great in any case

Don't doubt. Of course you are correct. Here she teams up with Nick Cave and Warren Ellis aka the Bootleggers. From the Lawless Soundtrack this is Cosmonaut. I'm not sure why people aren't talking about this record. I really love it.

4) Well this thing is an absolute monster. The bass begins with more a rumble than a riff. The horns go for the punch rather than finesse, even a bum note or two but who cares when the whole thing cooks like this. Great vocal which I should probably recognize. Full on with a bit of JB rasp. Cracking stuff.

I concur. As I listen to this mix, this is the one I get giddy about. Lee Moses with Time and Place.

5) A pretty standard blues workout but a great almost blues shouter style vocal and one of those great sloppy twangy guitar solos.

Yeah, the vocals make it for me. Lowell Fulson with You've Gotta Reap.

6) Mini skirt Minnie by I think Wilson Pickett. Can’t argue with that.

It's actually George Jackson RIP.

7) This is quite slight at its core, but packs in a hell of a lot of energy and I’m always a sucker for a bit of mad guitar and a honking sax

It's pretty mad, ain't it? Bobby Davis with Damper Down from a Charly Chicago Soul Comp called Move with the Groove.

8) Stuff like this can sometimes veer into smooth or noodly territory but this works a treat as sax, trumpet and what sounds like electric piano all take a lead as the horns keep the gas turned up throughout.

Wiggle Waggle by Herbie Hancock.

9) This is a sort of blind spot for me. Keep meaning to investigate Brazilian music more which I assume is what this is. I have my Getz/Gilbertos but a lot of the vocals drive me mad with that kind of biddly bom bom bounce although I like some things I’ve heard. Didn’t hate this but didn’t quite do it for me.

Sorry, everyone who gets a disc from me lately gets a taste of Elis Regina. I'm quite smitten with her voice. This is Menino Das Laranjas.

10) This one was OK but sort of fell between two stools for me. I can get with anything more lyrical or more funky but this was just a bit dense and I struggled to get a handle on it.

Oh. This is Menahan Street Band with Lights Out from their latest The Crossing. Their December show with Charles Bradley was pretty great.

11) You could certainly say this was a bit dense too, but the heavier vibe and mad guitar pulled this one off. Is it just me or is there a repeated section of a few notes that sound just like something from Hendrix. Can’t think what it reminds me of off the top of my head, maybe Manic Depression ?

I guess I hear it a little too. Because You're Funky is a comp. I found out about when I was stalking ange on mix club. I think CAG was responsible for it. This particular track is by Creations Unlimited and is called Crystal Illusion.

12) Nice country soul vibe. Sure I should know the singer.

Another one that makes me giddy. I don't know the singer at all other than this track. He is John Randolph Marr from the Light in the Attic comp. Country Funk. This is Hello LA, Bye Bye Birmingham.

13) Like the singer and the way she alternates between full blown mode and singing “under” the song. Lots of light and shade here without resorting to the usual vocal trickery. Nice.

Emma-Lee with Not Coming By. She's usually good for a really strong track or two, but I find the rest of her tracks a little wanting which is a shame because I really like her voice.

14) Back to country and this sure as hell ticks all the boxes

This is Carl Perkins. I took it from Matt Wilson's Ultimate Rockabilly Collection. This is Let the Jukebox Keep on Playing.

15) Given that I often have trouble in Mix Club placing something that I know that I know, it’s odd that barely a second into this I thought Chris Smither even before the vocal started. I’d never thought of his guitar style being quite that unique but I guess it must be. Terrific.

Yep. I only know of him because I found a link to No Depression's records of the year. Turns out he's been making records since the early 70s. Who knew? Maybe you. This is On the Edge

16) Another one that falls between two stools. Call me Mr Picky. I like the voice well enough but this lacks real country soul and fails to really cook up a storm like the rockabilly end of the country spectrum. Sounds like country dumbed down a bit for the pop crossover market, or maybe someone from the pop world trying to put a bit of country twang into the mix. Pleasant enough though.

Your comments are astute here. Owen Bradley said he had two singers: a country singer who wanted to be a pop star...Patsy Cline and a pop singer who wants to be a country star... Mimi Roman from, a Jewish woman from New York. This is taken from her Bear Family comp. with liner notes from our very own Muskrat. This is the title track I'm Ready if You're Willing.

17) Wow this is great. Terrific closer. This always simmers just below the surface. A delicious slow burn a bit into Lanegan/Dulli territory. Love it.

The unjustly neglected Oxford, Mississippi band Blue Mountain from their record Home Grown. This is Pretty Please. I want to start an Alt Country thread to celebrate tracks like this that just get shunned by the Country puritans on here.

Thanks Eric.

You're welcome! Glad most of it worked out.

Track list

1. Yours Forever Blue- Steve Earle and Del McCoury Band
2. Half as Much- George Jones
3. Cosmonaut- The Bootleggers featuring Emmylou Harris
4. Time and Place- Lee Moses
5. You've Gotta Reap- Lowell Fulson
6. Minnie Skirt Minnie- George Jackson
7. Damper Down- Bobby Davis
8. Wiggle Waggle- Herbie Hancock
9. Menino Da Laranjas- Elis Regina
10. Ligths Out- Menahan Street Band
11. Crystal Illusion- Creations Unlimited
12 Hello LA, Bye-Bye Birmingham- John Randolph Marr
13. Not Coming By- Emma-Lee
14. Let the Jukebox Keep on Playing- Carl Perkins
15. On the Edge- Chris Smither
16. I'm Ready If You're Willing- Mimi Roman
17. Pretty Please- Blue Mountain

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 11 May 2013, 18:56

Thanks Eric. Some good stuff. I'm suitably contrite at not picking out the two Georges :oops:
and would you believe I have that Blue Mountain album (and most of the others).

Re: Chris Smither - yes me :D I have a dozen or so Smither albums, all great.
We're way past rhubarb

Magilla
Otago Mago

Postby Magilla » 14 May 2013, 04:00

Sorry for being even later than what I said I’d be reviewing this, but things have been pretty hectic lately. My mix this month was mainly blues, soul and rock songs of different styles and differing levels of interest of excitement and interest. Some I struggled with, some I liked. Here we go…

1) Driving, boisterous blues. This is pretty good. I love the “hammer” production sound and approach. This is really good. Who is it ?

2) A similarly driving, even more uptempo song, more of a fast, roots rock number. I don’t dislike roots rock, but it just isn’t my cup of tea, in general. This was ok, but I’d struggle with a whole album, sorry.

3) Crikey, now I’m really starting to struggle. This sort of electric, blues rock just does nothing for me. It’s the sort of thing that usually gets described as “blues jam”, “British blues boom”, “classic rock”, etc and it just does nothing for me at all, sorry.

4)This is ok, it’s certainly interesting. Great rhythm, the hazy vocals are catchy. Possibly influenced by Beefheart as the words “clear spot” pop up in the lyrics.

5)Is this RL Burnside or someone like him ? I tend to be more tolerable of very simple blues rock like this than the more jammy –type stuff in #3. Hilarious lyrics and certainly entertaining.

6) Short, languid jazz piece. Very enjoyable.

7) A delightful soul, gospel number. It’s almost acapella, bar the sparse instrumentation. Superb vocals through-out.

8) A pretty good soul track, great “pleading”-style vocals, great brass section.

9) Very nice soul track, the only song on the mix I’ve heard before, but I’ve no idea who it is.

10) A catchy soul song, lovely piano riff.

11) Noisy, distorted, ragged surf-rock. Not bad.

12) A good, snappy Hammond-led instrumental. Is it Jimmie Smith ?

13) Lovely pop song.

14 An ok sleazy rock song about junkies, especially muso junkies.

15) Hmm, sounds like Elvis Costello. I “get” why people like him, but personally I’ve never connected with his stuff. Sorry.

16) Good, fuzzy, garage rock.

17) An early ‘60s (I’m guessing) pop song. It’s ok, but this sort of stuff is something that I don’t dislike, but I just don’t “click” with in general.

This was a funny mix – some songs I liked, but others just didn’t really grab me.
"U2 routinely spent a year in the studio...I have a theory: if you put four monkeys in the studio for a year with Lanois and Eno and Lillywhite, they would make a pretty good record, too."

TG

Postby TG » 14 May 2013, 18:04

Magilla wrote:Sorry for being even later than what I said I’d be reviewing this, but things have been pretty hectic lately. My mix this month was mainly blues, soul and rock songs of different styles and differing levels of interest of excitement and interest. Some I struggled with, some I liked. Here we go…

I sure hope it wasn't this mix that sent you packing from the Mix Club! You always seem to be the toughest person for me to come up with mixes for as I can't seem to nail down what you would like. This was my third for you and I hope I get to do more. Do come back soon...

1) Driving, boisterous blues. This is pretty good. I love the “hammer” production sound and approach. This is really good. Who is it ?

Captain Beefheart doing Hard Workin' Man from the Blue Collar soundtrack. One of my favorites by the Captain and one that many don't seem to know.

2) A similarly driving, even more uptempo song, more of a fast, roots rock number. I don’t dislike roots rock, but it just isn’t my cup of tea, in general. This was ok, but I’d struggle with a whole album, sorry.

Flat Duo Jets doing Man With The Golden Arm. I think I included this because I used one of their songs on a previous mix for you and it went down well.

3) Crikey, now I’m really starting to struggle. This sort of electric, blues rock just does nothing for me. It’s the sort of thing that usually gets described as “blues jam”, “British blues boom”, “classic rock”, etc and it just does nothing for me at all, sorry.

When Maarten (Never/Ever) was in L.A. recently we were tooling around Hollywood listening to and digging the Red Devils live at King King CD. This is from that and is called Devil Woman. I used to see these guys pretty regularly and they were a great live act. Sorry it didn't work as well for you as it did for Maarten and I.

4)This is ok, it’s certainly interesting. Great rhythm, the hazy vocals are catchy. Possibly influenced by Beefheart as the words “clear spot” pop up in the lyrics.

Mark Lanegan doing a pretty credible cover of the Beefheart classic Clear Spot. It doesn't stray too far from the original but works for me, anyway.

5)Is this RL Burnside or someone like him ? I tend to be more tolerable of very simple blues rock like this than the more jammy –type stuff in #3. Hilarious lyrics and certainly entertaining.

Someone like him. T-Model Ford doing I'm Insane. Same label and time frame as Burnside.

6) Short, languid jazz piece. Very enjoyable.

Miles Davis with Miles Runs The Voodoo Down. It's an edited down version from the 45. It's a shame this wasn't a hit!

7) A delightful soul, gospel number. It’s almost acapella, bar the sparse instrumentation. Superb vocals through-out.

On My Way To Heaven - a very early Staples Singers track. Nice to see that Pops Staples always had that killer guitar tone.

8) A pretty good soul track, great “pleading”-style vocals, great brass section.

Little Richard doing Directly From My Heart To You. He recorded this several times and this is not the first or the last one. It was done for Modern Records in L.A. after the hits on Specialty. The brass section is great. It seems to fade while the band and Richard are still at it. I've always wondered about the unedited version.

9) Very nice soul track, the only song on the mix I’ve heard before, but I’ve no idea who it is.

Frankie Miller doing Brickyard Blues. It's from the LP he did with Allen Toussaint producing and has several great tracks that aren't exactly like the rest of his catalog - at least not the parts of his catalog I'm familiar with.

10) A catchy soul song, lovely piano riff.

Willy DeVille doing a cover of an old New Orleans track called Who Shot The La-La. A very faithful recreation of the original. I wish Willy was still with us.

11) Noisy, distorted, ragged surf-rock. Not bad.

From a weird 45 I bought unheard for the title/band name. Cruster's Theme by The Monomen. Great simplistic guitar riffing over a psuedo-Peter Gunn theme. How can you go wrong?

12) A good, snappy Hammond-led instrumental. Is it Jimmie Smith ?

Peaches en Regalia by Frank Zappa off of the Hot Rats LP. I'm no Zappa fan but I've loved this track since I first heard it in the early 70s.

13) Lovely pop song.

Betty James doing I'm A Little Mixed Up. An odd little record from the 60s on Checker Records. It was covered by several people but none were more than regional hits. I love her matter of fact vocals about her plight.

14 An ok sleazy rock song about junkies, especially muso junkies.

The MC5's Wayne Kramer doing Junkie Romance from his first solo CD. If I'm not mistaken (and I don't think I am) it's our own Bobzilla on drums!

15) Hmm, sounds like Elvis Costello. I “get” why people like him, but personally I’ve never connected with his stuff. Sorry.

It is Costello doing Spooky Girlfriend from a few years ago. I love this track. Sorry it didn't work for you.

16) Good, fuzzy, garage rock.

The Bob Seger System doing an anti Viet Nam protest track called 2 + 2 = ? I wish he would let this older material be released on CD. There are a lot of great tracks from this period and earlier and he wants them left in the vaults. What a waste.

17) An early ‘60s (I’m guessing) pop song. It’s ok, but this sort of stuff is something that I don’t dislike, but I just don’t “click” with in general.

A more recent cover of an early 60s John Fred & the Playboys track called Shirley. This is by the Swamp Pop "Supergroup" Lil' Band O' Gold. I saw these guys live a few years ago and it was one of the best acts I saw that year.

This was a funny mix – some songs I liked, but others just didn’t really grab me.

I suspected it might go that way. As I said, I can't seem to nail down what to send you so you got a mixed bag and the wish that some or all of it would work for you. Don't stay away too long. You'll be missed around the old Mix Club.

Now to get caught up with my very late review and May CD. Life needs to settle down a bit.

Hard Workin' Man Captain Beefheart
Man With The Golden Arm Flat Duo Jets
Devil Woman Red Devils
Clear Spot Mark Lanegan
I'm Insane T-Model Ford
Miles Runs The Voodoo Down Miles Davis
On My Way To Heaven Staples Singers
Directly From My Heart To You Little Richard
Brickyard Blues Frankie Miller
Who Shot The La-La Willy DeVille
Crusters' Theme The Monomen
Peaches En Regalia Frank Zappa
I'm a Little Mixed Up Betty James
Junkie Romance Wayne Kramer
Spooky Girlfriend Elvis Costello
2 + 2 = - Bob Seger
Shirley Lil' Band O' Gold
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

hookfinger

Postby hookfinger » 15 May 2013, 13:04

The Fish wrote:2. The Mavericks - Wat A Crying Shame

4. The Beat Farmers - Atomic Age Mutants

10. Robbie Fulks - Fuck This Town

I'm definitely surprised I didn't recognize these. I think I quit listening to Beat Farmers after Van Go. I have a couple of Robbie Fulks lps but he only clicks part time.

Some great stuff on there I'm gonna check out further. Thanks.
Oh boy is it getting rough, when my old world charm isn't quite enough.

TG

Postby TG » 21 May 2013, 19:12

Okay, so it's late but it's finally getting done. My April review complete with apologies for tardiness, etc.

This one came in from New Zealand with the inscription "Country Soul" and based on then-recent threads it wasn't too hard to figure out from whom it came. A hit and miss collection that went like this -

1) Al Green doing Hank Williams' I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry. I feel the same way about covering Hank's tunes as I do about covering the good Reverend Green's. For the most part - don't. They've been done and if you can't do something innovative then just don't. He shouldn't have. It's a typically fine production and vocal but it doesn't ever go anywhere.

2) Not a bad track. Fine Stax sounding band with good vocals and a strong song. This is what Country Soul should be.

3) The voice is unmistakably Arthur Alexander and that's good enough for me. A big Nashville Sound production but it doesn't detract too much. A fine track.

4) Another good singer who sounds very familiar but who I'm unable to place. Another nice track that leans more to the Country side of the fence than to the Soul side. It fits though and works very well. I'll be eager to see the reveal on this one.

5) I know this and I'm not sure if I got it on another Mix Club disc or from a box set or somewhere. I don't own the 45 or remember it as being a hit. It's Arthur Conley and it's called something like I'll Let Nothing Separate Us. It's another one that is more Soul than Country but that's quibbling when the track is this good. When the tension finally releases with about 20 seconds left you just wish it could go on for another minute longer.

6) This one doesn't really move me. It's a problem that crops up again before the mix is over. The sameness of the tracks within the mix really tends to point up the ones that don't work as well. Whether lesser songs, weaker singers or bad production - the similarities from one track to the next really shows up the weaker links. This is one of them.

7) Over wrought strings and horns during the intro don't bode well. I know the singer (Gladys Knight?) and the song is familiar. I'm just not feeling this one. Too much Country and not enough Soul. And the Soul here is a bit sanitized.

8) I think this is Aretha doing Do Right Woman, Do Right Man. It sounds different than what I remember from the hit version. Perhaps it's an outtake from a recent CD reissue? Or perhaps I don't remember it as well as I thought? Or maybe it's not Aretha at all. In either case it's not one of my favorites. Like many of these tracks - there is not much wrong with them - they just don't stand up to the very best of the mix / genre.

9) No idea what this very simple and simply recorded track is. I assume it's a reference to MLK and the Civil Rights Movement. It feels a bit like a Curtis Mayfield & the Impressions track. Or the Staples Singers. Very evident Gospel roots and not really much in the way of Country. A fine record that I would definitely buy.

10) Another one I've heard before. It's called Rainbow Road and it may be something from a past Mix Club CD. A bit maudlin and not really to my taste.

11) Love the piano and cheap sounding organ intro. This has to be Bobby "Blue" Bland. It's a very odd song that would fit nicely into a David Lynch film's soundtrack. I like this a lot and it served to remind me that I need to beef up the Bobby Bland section of my collection.

12) I've no idea what this is but I like it. A good singer and very interesting guitarist playing some fine fills. Horns are tight. Maybe the best track here. I heard this recently when playing the Stax box, I think.

13) Again, I know the singer and he's good. But, and this is a big but, the lyrics to this song are so bad that they are laughable. For a while. Then it just gets ridiculous. It actually contains the line -

Like a soldier needs a gun
Like a hamburger needs a bun

And that's the only one I can remember. I doubt it's the worst couplet. This one fails.

14) Another fine singer. And a much better song than the last one. I'm starting to get a bit fatigued by the same tempo and basic arrangements from track to track. It needs something a bit more upbeat to break things up some. This track is a good one, though.

15) Another one for the ladies. I recognize this song but not the singer. She's a fine singer but this one just isn't doing it for me.

16) Okay, this one is Sam & Dave. I don't know the track but these guys can sing. It's only failing is falling at the end of the mix and not being different enough to really jump out at me.

17) I'm betting this is O.V.Wright. I don't have this but it sounds like him. This is a keeper.

18) Someone doing a version of Sweet Dreams with a fine, if understated band. The singer is no slouch, either. This is Country Soul and is pretty damn good. Is this a Stax Record?

19) This one I remember. It was a pretty big hit in the mid 70s. Dorothy Moore with Misty Blue. It sure sounds great after all of these years. I wonder if I own this somewhere or other? A great choice.

20) An Al Green bookend! Another C&W cover. This time he's covering For The Good Times and it's better than the opening track. His double tracked vocals are a thing to behold.

A nice ending to a hit and miss and somewhat tempo restricted Mix Club entry that ultimately had more keepers than clams.

Thanks to the mixer o' the month. I look forward to the reveal.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

beenieman

Postby beenieman » 25 May 2013, 01:17

TG wrote: Okay, so it's late but it's finally getting done. My April review complete with apologies for tardiness, etc.

This one came in from New Zealand with the inscription "Country Soul" and based on then-recent threads it wasn't too hard to figure out from whom it came. A hit and miss collection that went like this -

I discovered Barney Hoskyn had compiled a Top 50 Country soul songs and while I didn’t have his full list I decided to do my own Mix Club Compilation of the genre
TG wrote: 1) Al Green doing Hank Williams' I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry. I feel the same way about covering Hank's tunes as I do about covering the good Reverend Green's. For the most part - don't. They've been done and if you can't do something innovative then just don't. He shouldn't have. It's a typically fine production and vocal but it doesn't ever go anywhere.

I’m actually with you on this. I thought Al Green & Hank Williams. What could go wrong? I think it is an innovative take but it does not quite work. I almost took it off. But it’s Al & Hank!
TG wrote: 2) Not a bad track. Fine Stax sounding band with good vocals and a strong song. This is what Country Soul should be.

Big Al Downing - I’ll Be Your Fool Once More. Downing started with rockabilly, did country, did soul & erven had an early disco hit! He should get more acclaim
TG wrote: 3) The voice is unmistakably Arthur Alexander and that's good enough for me. A big Nashville Sound production but it doesn't detract too much. A fine track.

Arthur Alexander - In The Middle Of It All. A great great song. Country soul!
TG wrote: 4) Another good singer who sounds very familiar but who I'm unable to place. Another nice track that leans more to the Country side of the fence than to the Soul side. It fits though and works very well. I'll be eager to see the reveal on this one.

Percy Sledge - Out Of Left Field. A favourite of mine who did so so many great songs. This was one of his bigger hits. I had a few of his tracks I was thinking of for his compilation.
TG wrote: 5) I know this and I'm not sure if I got it on another Mix Club disc or from a box set or somewhere. I don't own the 45 or remember it as being a hit. It's Arthur Conley and it's called something like I'll Let Nothing Separate Us. It's another one that is more Soul than Country but that's quibbling when the track is this good. When the tension finally releases with about 20 seconds left you just wish it could go on for another minute longer.

It is Arthur Conley and it is called Let Nothing Separate Us. Another great artist and yes this sure feels soulsome. One of my favourites on the disc.
TG wrote: 6) This one doesn't really move me. It's a problem that crops up again before the mix is over. The sameness of the tracks within the mix really tends to point up the ones that don't work as well. Whether lesser songs, weaker singers or bad production - the similarities from one track to the next really shows up the weaker links. This is one of them.

Souther soul man Kip Anderson with- I Went Off & Cried. It works for me. Loaded with emotion.
TG wrote: 7) Over wrought strings and horns during the intro don't bode well. I know the singer (Gladys Knight?) and the song is familiar. I'm just not feeling this one. Too much Country and not enough Soul. And the Soul here is a bit sanitized.

Bettye Swann - Be Strong Enough. I needed some soul women in here.
TG wrote: 8) I think this is Aretha doing Do Right Woman, Do Right Man. It sounds different than what I remember from the hit version. Perhaps it's an outtake from a recent CD reissue? Or perhaps I don't remember it as well as I thought? Or maybe it's not Aretha at all. In either case it's not one of my favourites. Like many of these tracks - there is not much wrong with them - they just don't stand up to the very best of the mix / genre.

It is Aretha and from her Greatest Hits so I believe it’s the standard version.
TG wrote: 9) No idea what this very simple and simply recorded track is. I assume it's a reference to MLK and the Civil Rights Movement. It feels a bit like a Curtis Mayfield & the Impressions track. Or the Staples Singers. Very evident Gospel roots and not really much in the way of Country. A fine record that I would definitely buy.

George Perkins - Crying In The Streets.
George Perkins was born on 25 September 1942 just outside Baton Rouge in Denham Springs LA. He started his singing career, as so many did in those days, in the church as a member of the local Silver Stars quartet. According to George the group cut two 45s for Ebb Tide’s (Ted Harris) Golden label before recording the anthem Cryin’ In The Streets as a response to the assassination of Martin Luther King. Its impact locally was such that Lelan Rogers picked it up for his Silver Fox label and was rewarded with a similar response from black buyers all over the South. The instrumentation and arrangement are rudimentary but the passion of the two lead voices of Perkins (the lower of the two) and Frank Turner (the high tenor) carries an unmistakable message of despair.

Not much else recorded from the fellow it seems. He should have had a better career than he did.
I see somebody marchin'
Marchin' down the street, yeah
I see somebody marchin'
Marchin' down the street

This time we stop and pray
To have a better day
I see somebody marchin'
Marchin'
Marchin' down the street, yeah

I hear somebody cryin'
Cryin' in the street
Oh yes they are
I hear somebody cryin'
Cryin' in the street, yeah

While they're makin'
????????
Go to your window
Go to your window
And look down

I hear somebody cryin'
Cryin'
Cryin' in the street

I hear somebody prayin'
They're down on their knees here
Prayin' in the street
I hear somebody prayin'
Prayin' in the street, yeah

File this one next to Sam Cooke's "A Change is Gonna Come"
TG wrote: 10) Another one I've heard before. It's called Rainbow Road and it may be something from a past Mix Club CD. A bit maudlin and not really to my taste.

Bill Brandon - Rainbow Road. Follows Perkins for the “I Had a Dream” theme. Another MLK tribute.
TG wrote: 11) Love the piano and cheap sounding organ intro. This has to be Bobby "Blue" Bland. It's a very odd song that would fit nicely into a David Lynch film's soundtrack. I like this a lot and it served to remind me that I need to beef up the Bobby Bland section of my collection.

Bobby Bland - I’ll Take Care Of You. You’re right. This should be on a soundtrack. A strange different song.
TG wrote: 12) I've no idea what this is but I like it. A good singer and very interesting guitarist playing some fine fills. Horns are tight. Maybe the best track here. I heard this recently when playing the Stax box, I think.

Georgeous George - Biggest Fool. It is a fine track. I don’t think he recorded much other than this.
TG wrote: 13) Again, I know the singer and he's good. But, and this is a big but, the lyrics to this song are so bad that they are laughable. For a while. Then it just gets ridiculous. It actually contains the line -

Like a soldier needs a gun

And that's the only one I can remember. I doubt it's the worst couplet. This one fails. [/quote]
James Carr - A Man Needs A Woman.

The lyrics work better in context but it’s Carr’s voice that makes me love this. And makes me love the lyrics.
When I was the age of three
My dear mother had a
Little talk with me

She said a woman
Can be a good little thing
But, son, she mean a
Whole world to men

If I hadn't loved
Your daddy this way
He wouldn't be the
Big man he is today

(CHORUS)
Don't you know
A man needs a woman
A man got to have a woman
To carry on (to carry on)
To carry on

Just like the fish needs the ocean
Just like rough hand need a little lotion
Like the windows needs pane
Like the highway needs two lane

(CHORUS)

Just like a vampire needs blood
Like a dead dog need them bugs
Just like the darkness needs the light
Just like the fisherman, he needs
He needs a little bite now, oh, yeah

(CHORUS)

Just like a boxer need gloves
Just like me, I need a little love
Like the soldier needs a gun
I need you
Yes I do
I need you to se me through

TG wrote: 14) Another fine singer. And a much better song than the last one. I'm starting to get a bit fatigued by the same tempo and basic arrangements from track to track. It needs something a bit more upbeat to break things up some. This track is a good one, though.

James Carr again with That’s The Way Love Turned Out For Me. He’s so good i included him twice. I think your complaint is a Mix Club problem. That when we’re analysing song by song the sameness comes though. But if you brought a disc of country soul you wouldn’t object that they were all country soul songs?
TG wrote: 15) Another one for the ladies. I recognize this song but not the singer. She's a fine singer but this one just isn't doing it for me.

Jesse James with Ain’t Much Of A Home. I like it!
TG wrote: 16) Okay, this one is Sam & Dave. I don't know the track but these guys can sing. It's only failing is falling at the end of the mix and not being different enough to really jump out at me.

Close. It’s Sam & Bill (Sam Gary & Bill Johnson) with I Need You Love. Wonderful song.
TG wrote: 17) I'm betting this is O.V.Wright. I don't have this but it sounds like him. This is a keeper.

It is OV Wright. The song is “Afflicted”. He’s a keeper all right.
TG wrote: 18) Someone doing a version of Sweet Dreams with a fine, if understated band. The singer is no slouch, either. This is Country Soul and is pretty damn good. Is this a Stax Record?

Mighty Sam McClain - Sweet Dreams. Not Stax:
Sweet Dreams is the second release for Telarc by modern soul singer Mighty Sam McClain.. Recording at the legendary Bearsville Studio in Woodstock, NY, McClain utlized his regular band of Kevin Belz (guitar), Bruce Katz (piano), Barry Seelen (Hammond B-3), Tim Ingles (bass), and Jim Arnold (drums) along with the addition of the Mighty Horns.

TG wrote: 19) This one I remember. It was a pretty big hit in the mid 70s. Dorothy Moore with Misty Blue. It sure sounds great after all of these years. I wonder if I own this somewhere or other? A great choice.

This was a big hit. Deservedly so.
TG wrote: 20) An Al Green bookend! Another C&W cover. This time he's covering For The Good Times and it's better than the opening track. His double tracked vocals are a thing to behold.

I like this one better too.
TG wrote: A nice ending to a hit and miss and somewhat tempo restricted Mix Club entry that ultimately had more keepers than clams.

Thanks to the mixer o' the month. I look forward to the reveal.

Thanks for the review. Here’s the tracklisting:
1. Al Green I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry 3.14
2. Big Al Downing I’ll Be Your Fool Once More 3.03
3. Arthur Alexander In The Middle Of It All 3.32
4. Percy Sledge Out Of Left Field 3.15
5. Arthur Conley Let Nothing Separate Us 3.03
6. Kip Anderson I Went Off & Cried 3.05
7. Bettye Swann Be Strong Enough 3.23
8. Aretha Franklin Do Right Woman, Do Right Man 3.14
9. George Perkins Crying In The Streets 3.21
10. Bill Brandon Rainbow Road 2.56
11. Bobby Bland I’ll Take Care Of You 2.27
12. Georgeous George Biggest Fool 2.49
13. James Carr A Man Needs A Woman 2.49
14. James Carr That’s The Way Love Turned Out For Me 3.18
15. Jesse James Ain’t Much Of A Home 3.44
16. Sam & Bill I Need You Love 3.14
17. OV Wright Afflicted 3.38
18. Mighty Sam McClain Sweet Dreams 2.59
19. Dorothy Moore Misty Blue 3.39
20. Al Green For The Good Times 6.35
One night, an evil spirit held me down
I could not make one single sound
Jah told me, 'Son, use the word'
And now I'm as free as a bird

beenieman

Postby beenieman » 25 May 2013, 23:30

Finally time for the review!
Apologies for IT holdups.

Track 1 An intro track that genuinely introduces the mix as a spoken voice starts us on our journey. Always a good way to begin.
Track 2 A chorale possibly not in church kicks us this prog era sound. A bit like Flaming Youth if you recall them. I’, enjoying this.
Track 3 More progressive music. I’m reluctant to call it prog. I’m actually a fan of the popy side of prog and this is a good example of what I do like. I’d buy their LP.
Track 4 Similar ilk. Which is a good thing. Playing this earlier without reviewing, which is a different listening experience, I was washed away. I’m surprised I don’t recognise who this is.
Track 5 Laid back prog. I could listen all day. Though there’s no 40 minute track on board I wouldn’t mind.
Track 6 The British accent beloved of prog. A perfect match for the genre presumably for historic rather than sensical reasons. No misses so far1
Track 7 Spoken word like the John Peel bits on the Tyrannosaurus Rex albums. Nice humming in the background.
Track 8 Another favourite on this disc
Track 9 Softly sang. Beautiful.
Track 10 Different but similar
Track 11 More of a folky sound on this one
Track 12 The final track is over 11 minutes long. Probably not the one I’d have spent 11 minutes on (it’s fine but there’s a few others I could have spent ½ an hour with). An enjoyable close to a great disc

The bonus disc is splendid. The tracks mixed together into a soothing flow. This is the one I’ll play in the future.

Apologies for the lack of deep analysis. I thoroughly enjoyed this, not a step wrong. Thanks mixer.

Perhaps some NZ prog mixed next time you’re my recipient?
One night, an evil spirit held me down
I could not make one single sound
Jah told me, 'Son, use the word'
And now I'm as free as a bird

dgs

Postby dgs » 27 May 2013, 20:29

Finally time for the review!
Apologies for IT holdups.

No worries Peter and as you will probably have guessed I was the compiler of your April mix disc.

Track 1 An intro track that genuinely introduces the mix as a spoken voice starts us on our journey. Always a good way to begin.

1. The Grid - Daft Punk – Taken from their soundtrack to the Tron 2 film, I have been trying to fit this into a mix for quite a while but the right opportunity never came up so decided to put it first and build from there. Bit of a Daft Punk backlash going on at the moment!

Track 2 A chorale possibly not in church kicks us this prog era sound. A bit like Flaming Youth if you recall them. I’, enjoying this.

2. Escape - Craig Armstrong – film soundtracker to the stars. Armstrong has done quite a lot of work both solo and as soundtrack composer. This one is taken from the Plunkett and Macleane soundtrack which I came across as I was cataloguing my files on the hard drive.

Track 3 More progressive music. I’m reluctant to call it prog. I’m actually a fan of the popy side of prog and this is a good example of what I do like. I’d buy their LP.

3. Yesnaby - The Magnetic North – this is a wonderful track from an album from last year called Orkney: The symphony of the Magnetic North. Highly recommend it, wonderful stuff.

Track 4 Similar ilk. Which is a good thing. Playing this earlier without reviewing, which is a different listening experience, I was washed away. I’m surprised I don’t recognise who this is.

4. Never Be Alone - Steve Mason – One of my albums of the year so far, ex beta band Steve Mason returns with a great solo effort, this track I particular is a strong favourite.

Track 5 Laid back prog. I could listen all day. Though there’s no 40 minute track on board I wouldn’t mind.

5. She Moved Through The Fair - Jam Nation – Interesting one this one, released on Peter Gabriels label it is a one off. Gather together all the artists and few mates, bring in a couple of producers and see what you can do in a couple of days. This track featues the exquisite vocal talents of Caroline Lavelle.

Track 6 The British accent beloved of prog. A perfect match for the genre presumably for historic rather than sensical reasons. No misses so far.

6. Prelude To 110 Or 120/Women Of The World - Jim O'Rourke - American actually, this is cover of the Ivor Cutler song, which I had originally programmed at the outset but changed on playback. This version works better with the mix but Ivors original is a beaut.

Track 7 Spoken word like the John Peel bits on the Tyrannosaurus Rex albums. Nice humming in the background.

7. Woozy With Cider - James Yorkston – I like a bit of spoken word and this is the wonderful James Yorkston reciting over a lovely backing track by Reporter. Lovely and engaging.

Track 8 Another favourite on this disc

8. Staralfur - Sigur Ros – Staraflur was always programmed but at the last minute we switched from the acoustic version to this the electric version. The acoustic version is all cellos and piano but this one is a bit more atmospheric.

Track 9 Softly sang. Beautiful.

9. Nova - Gummi Bako – Great isn’t it. This is a guy from fife, Bhoy lves this one too. The only song I know with the lyric Monkey Pus in it!

Track 10 Different but similar.

10. Michael Rocket - The Pictish Trail – I recently saw Pictish play this out live with his death metal Isle of Eigg backing band. Mental stuff.

Track 11 More of a folky sound on this one

11. Green Grows the Laurel (Jon Hopkins Remix) - The Memory Band – I am a big JH admirer as he blends the organic with the synthetic sublimely.

Track 12 The final track is over 11 minutes long. Probably not the one I’d have spent 11 minutes on (it’s fine but there’s a few others I could have spent ½ an hour with). An enjoyable close to a great disc

12. A Sailor's Life - Fairport Convention – Everyone loves a bit of Sandy Denny.

The bonus disc is splendid. The tracks mixed together into a soothing flow. This is the one I’ll play in the future.

Apologies for the lack of deep analysis. I thoroughly enjoyed this, not a step wrong. Thanks mixer.

Perhaps some NZ prog mixed next time you’re my recipient?

Always up for something new!

Tracklist.

1. The Grid - Daft Punk
2. Escape - Craig Armstrong
3. Yesnaby - The Magnetic North
4. Never Be Alone - Steve Mason
5. She Moved Through The Fair - Jam Nation
6. Prelude To 110 Or 120/Women Of The World - Jim O'Rourke
7. Woozy With Cider - James Yorkston
8. Staralfur - Sigur Ros
9. Nova - Gummi Bako
10. Michael Rocket - The Pictish Trail