Mix Club - Special Months

Exchange mix CDs with each other.
beenieman

Mix Club - Special Months

Postby beenieman » 06 Feb 2013, 21:05

Each month we gather together whatever is to hand and send another disc away. I generally have a theme, genre or mood in mind but I know many favour electicism.

Some 4 years into Mix Club perhaps we could spark some interest with some themed months?

For example:

Black Music Month
Music I liked when I was a teenager (Volts cow punk disc would be a treat, or not) Month
My favourite genre of music Month
12 songs that are special to me Month
Women's Month
Dancehall Reggae Month (maybe that one wouldn't work?)

Anyhow, that's just off the top of my head.

The idea being that for that month everyone produces this disc in accordance with the theme.

It wuld provide some focus and may be easier for some than just randomly vacuuming up 60-80 minutes of songs each month?

Any thoughts?
One night, an evil spirit held me down
I could not make one single sound
Jah told me, 'Son, use the word'
And now I'm as free as a bird

TG

Re: Mix Club - Special Months

Postby TG » 07 Feb 2013, 14:36

It might could spice things up a bit.The themes would have to be broad enough to include everyone. I'm all for giving it a try.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 09 Feb 2013, 22:10

I'm having a break anyway but this would have put me off completely.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

beenieman

Postby beenieman » 09 Feb 2013, 22:25

Minnie the Mincepie wrote:I'm having a break anyway but this would have put me off completely.

:( On both counts.

I think it would spice things up myself.
One night, an evil spirit held me down
I could not make one single sound
Jah told me, 'Son, use the word'
And now I'm as free as a bird

whodathunkit

Postby whodathunkit » 09 Feb 2013, 23:51

Mmmm.....one of those difficult situations where you want to congratulate someone for caring enough to come up with some new ideas and then piss all over the actual ideas :D .

First off, I don't really think mix club needs "spicing up". People just need to get their fingers out and do what they signed up to doing. To spend time and money putting a mix together and sending it halfway across the world only to get no response whatsoever is a depressing experience. This is why people are dropping out. Not because they're tired of the original concept.

My approach to this thing has always been to try and find some common ground with my recipient. I don't "randomly vacuum up 60-80 minutes of songs" :shock: . So, a mix I do for, say ,dgs would be different to one I would do for the fish, So, to some extent, every month is a themed month for me. I don't see how an imposed theme is going to attract new members, It just makes a pleasure seem like homework.

And all the things you mention could be done as bonus discs anyway. (Good luck with "womens month").

Sorry mate. Not for me.

TG

Postby TG » 12 Feb 2013, 16:53

Well, I liked the idea.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 14 Feb 2013, 17:02

TG wrote:Well, I liked the idea.

I do too.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

whodathunkit

Postby whodathunkit » 15 Sep 2013, 13:05

Getting a review seems to count as a "special month". :cry:

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 18 Mar 2014, 14:07

Whenever I make a mix (obviously not in this context, as I'm still a n00b, I always give it a theme, just to concentrate the mind and stimulate the imagination.
I'd be happy to accept someone else's theme, provided I could treat it as loosely as I did my own.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Return to “Mix Club”