January 2013 Reviews

Exchange mix CDs with each other.
beenieman

January 2013 Reviews

Postby beenieman » 18 Jan 2013, 22:03

Here it is. A prompt review. Only heard this a couple of times but let’s do this!

Track 1 – Sounds like mid 60’s British Blues. “Give Me Back My Wig”. Is this Stevie Ray Vaughan’s version? A fine energetic opener in any event.
Track 2 – More of that old time blues. I’m a way bigger fan of white men doing the blues than black! For funk it’s dem black fellas. This is more funk than blues. No idea who this is though. Someone like Rufus Thomas going nutso. Smile to my face.
Track 3 – A live track. They give it away at the start saying it was written by Charlie Palmieri. Funky salsa
Track 4 – “You never miss your water till your well runs dry”. I’ve always thought that sounded dirty! A funky miss sings it.
Track 5 – Another female with a funky old stuff. I’m betting she don’t stick with fellas with dry wells.
Track 6 – More in the same (good) vein with funky sixties music.
Track 7 – Another fine track. About those no good lovers who do someone wrong. The guys there defending himself as the guy & girl sing their verses. Lovely.
Track 8 – Bye bye baby. Another good track
Track 9 – A tad slower. This could be a pop hit.
Track 10 – A favourite and another that if it wasn’t a chart hit, should have been.
Track 11 – You don’t hear Winston Churchill referenced often enough in music. Good track.
Track 12 – It took a minute but I do believe this is Elton John working his way onto two Mix Discs in a row for me! No idea what the track is and I will be suitably embarrassed if it’s not Queen Elton!
Track 13 – Real down south funk here. Having visited Stax Records & R & B Hall of fame last month I’m digging this stuff right now.
Track 14 – Another highlight. A nice soul song with very occasional interjections from the rapper
Track 15 – Practically an instrumental with that funky groove that prevails in this mix
Track 16 – A version of Feelin Alright that I don’t believe I know. What a fantastic song this is.
A mighty fine mix and a sweet (literally) cover. I must learn to photoshop.

Many thanks.
One night, an evil spirit held me down
I could not make one single sound
Jah told me, 'Son, use the word'
And now I'm as free as a bird

fange
100% fangetastic

Re: January 2013 Reviews

Postby fange » 20 Jan 2013, 04:03

Here it is. A prompt review. Only heard this a couple of times but let’s do this!
Let's rock!

Track 1 – Sounds like mid 60’s British Blues. “Give Me Back My Wig”. Is this Stevie Ray Vaughan’s version? A fine energetic opener in any event.
Definitely an inspiration to SRV, but this is the late, great originator Hound Dog Taylor doing it with his group the Houserockers.

Track 2 – More of that old time blues. I’m a way bigger fan of white men doing the blues than black! For funk it’s dem black fellas. This is more funk than blues. No idea who this is though. Someone like Rufus Thomas going nutso. Smile to my face.
It's great and mad at the same time, right? One of those lost-in-time tunes from a lost-in-time group, that i found on a comp. of Del-Fi lost singles. The chicken sounds are brilliant.

Track 3 – A live track. They give it away at the start saying it was written by Charlie Palmieri. Funky salsa.
Funky and swingin in all the best ways. Imagine being in a club in the 60s with the Fania guys going off on stage - beautiful.

Track 4 – “You never miss your water till your well runs dry”. I’ve always thought that sounded dirty! A funky miss sings it.
Bouncy, funky R&B and rock and roll with a gleam in the eye - all the things i love, all mixed together. And she made her name as a Gospel singer, naturally.

Track 5 – Another female with a funky old stuff. I’m betting she don’t stick with fellas with dry wells.
:) Written by Steven Stills this one, and like every cut on Doris Troy's 1970 Apple album she had a hell of a backing group. Some don't work as well as others, but i love this one.

Track 6 – More in the same (good) vein with funky sixties music.
Yep, funky soul and blues. I do love it.

Track 7 – Another fine track. About those no good lovers who do someone wrong. The guys there defending himself as the guy & girl sing their verses. Lovely.
The recently gone Mickey Baker, what a guitarist. He's here with Sylvia Robinson as Mickey & Sylvia, doing one of their many great tunes.

Track 8 – Bye bye baby. Another good track
Love the energy of this one, and that ringing guitar sound. Just another great lost song from a lost 60s garage group.

Track 9 – A tad slower. This could be a pop hit.
I reckon it could have been too, given the right breaks, but sadly too few of heard of either the song or the group, except of course us music tragics like here on BCB. Rocked-up psych, love it.

Track 10 – A favourite and another that if it wasn’t a chart hit, should have been.
Yep, should've been too. Boy, he sure loved that Macca-styled pop, but he made it work so well too. This track just sticks in my mind for days after hearing it, and the collection of Rhodes' albums that i plucked this one from has heaps of great songs.

Track 11 – You don’t hear Winston Churchill referenced often enough in music. Good track.
Yeah, i agree, not nearly enough people sing about wanting to smack Churchill's head. :) From a great album too.

Track 12 – It took a minute but I do believe this is Elton John working his way onto two Mix Discs in a row for me! No idea what the track is and I will be suitably embarrassed if it’s not Queen Elton!
Oh yes, it is most certainly Dame Elton, Peter, spot on. It's the rarer, full length version of 'Madman...', with Mick Ronson given his head to let loose, proper style. I don't care what the critics say, i think John's golden period is just that, absolutely fucking golden.

Track 13 – Real down south funk here. Having visited Stax Records & R & B Hall of fame last month I’m digging this stuff right now.
Yep, Stax it is, the house that Rufus and his kids helped build too. Wonderful stuff.

Track 14 – Another highlight. A nice soul song with very occasional interjections from the rapper
Beautiful, sweaty hip-hop and jazzy-soul from Guru and N'Dea Davenport. The whole Jazzmatazz record is a long-time fave.

Track 15 – Practically an instrumental with that funky groove that prevails in this mix
Funky, huh. Love the deep soulful, jazzy, dubby feel of this cut.

Track 16 – A version of Feelin Alright that I don’t believe I know. What a fantastic song this is.
It's great fun, huh. Gotta love those steel drums, and some of the guitar solos are just killer for a uptempo dance track. I know nothing else about this group, and there is one cut by them on the funky comp. this is from, but just the fact that a track like this even exists is why i love music so much.

A mighty fine mix and a sweet (literally) cover. I must learn to photoshop.
Many thanks.
Cheers man, glad you enjoyed it. Let me know if you'd like a follow-up of anything.

Tracklist
1. Hound Dog Taylor & the HouseRockers - Give Me Back My Wig
2. The Nite Hawks - Chicken Grabber
3. Fania All-Stars - Kikapoo Joy Juice
4. Wynona Carr - 'Til The Well Runs Dry
5. Doris Troy - Special Care
6. Little Sonny - You're Spreading Yourself A Little Too Thin
7. Mickey & Sylvia - No Good Lover
8. The Undecided - Make Her Cry
9. Ruperts People - Dream In My Mind
10. Emitt Rhodes - Fresh As A Daisy
11. Graham Parker - No Protection
12. Elton John - Madman Across The Water
13. Rufus Thomas - Itch And Scratch (pt.1)
14. Guru feat. N'Dea Davenport - When You're Near
15. Burning Spear - Great Men's Dub
16. Trinidad Oil Company - Feelin' Allright
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

beenieman

Postby beenieman » 20 Jan 2013, 19:25

fangedango! wrote:Tracklist
1. Hound Dog Taylor & the HouseRockers - Give Me Back My Wig
2. The Nite Hawks - Chicken Grabber
3. Fania All-Stars - Kikapoo Joy Juice
4. Wynona Carr - 'Til The Well Runs Dry
5. Doris Troy - Special Care
6. Little Sonny - You're Spreading Yourself A Little Too Thin
7. Mickey & Sylvia - No Good Lover
8. The Undecided - Make Her Cry
9. Ruperts People - Dream In My Mind
10. Emitt Rhodes - Fresh As A Daisy
11. Graham Parker - No Protection
12. Elton John - Madman Across The Water
13. Rufus Thomas - Itch And Scratch (pt.1)
14. Guru feat. N'Dea Davenport - When You're Near
15. Burning Spear - Great Men's Dub
16. Trinidad Oil Company - Feelin' Allright

Thanks. Like my December disc, which I also recently reviewed, well in tune with my tastes and most enjoyable. Elton John & Guru on discs reveived two months in a row! How about that?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 27 Jan 2013, 16:37

Got mine a couple weeks ago with a cryptic message that I'd understand everything after the review. Should've reviewed earlier but it kinda got short shrift with the Cup. I liked the disc.

1. A little thing with a whip cracking

2. Nice garagey guitar and organ version of Hey Joe. Liked this.

3. Slows down with a folky country version of Promenade in Green. I like the version but only know the Rick Nelson version.

4. A little synth snippet. Kinda nice.

5. Great upfront guitar garagey next. This kinda checks off all the post punk earmarks, but it's good for what it is.

6. Like the previous song checks off all the post punk earmarks, this one does as well as early indie. That's not a criticism as much as an observation. I remember when every singer was trying to sound like Ian McCulloch or Adrian Borland.

7. I liked the treatment of this song but not the woman's voice that much. The strength of the sound kept me listening.

8. I like when the Stones get fun-kay. They were lucky to have Charlie Watts.

9. Nice little slide guitar instrumental thing.

10. Again, very funky. Sounds like Betty Davis.

11. Veers into indie rock now. This is okay. It keeps the disc moving along.

12. Now we go into Cramps - always fun.

13. Slows down now into some melodica-led dub. Tappa Zukie maybe?

14. Back to the fuzzed out garage for this one. Very primal that doesn't get away because of the restrained vocals that effectively straitjacket the song. I liked this controlled frenzy.

15. After the last one, we get a welcome respite with an acoustic number with a woman singer. At first, I kinda liked all the babydoll girl singers, but I'm starting to get really tired of 'em. Every once in awhile, because I don't play 'em myself much, these torchy kind of things are nice.

16. I liked the music, hated the singer, if you could call him that as they play Cheap Trick's He's a Whore.

17. I liked this ending song. Kinda bouncy but menacing guitar and bass.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Magilla
Otago Mago

Postby Magilla » 29 Jan 2013, 23:50

sloopjohnc wrote:Got mine a couple weeks ago with a cryptic message that I'd understand everything after the review. Should've reviewed earlier but it kinda got short shrift with the Cup. I liked the disc.

Hi John, I was your mixer this month. Really glad you generally liked the disc. There’s no theme or anything to it, it’s just songs from assorted CDs I picked up in the pre / post-Christmas sales. No worries about not reviewing it earlier, I’m still yet to myself. The “cryptic message” was that # 1 and #4 were quite short. Speaking of which…

1. A little thing with a whip cracking

Len Lye, ‘Sea Serpent’ from Composing Motion. Lye was an NZer and a pioneer of kinetic art (among other things). His works involved assembling large pieces of steel and such and having them set up mechanically to bang against each other or vibrate madly, thus creating all sorts of weird sights and sounds.
I thought this sounded like a whip, too. Anyway, I chucked in this 33sec snippet because that’s enough to give you an idea of what he’s about, let alone the two to eight minute long tracks on the CD.

2. Nice garagey guitar and organ version of Hey Joe. Liked this.

Contemporary Australian band Pond with ‘Hey Joe’ from Nuggets – Antipodean Reinterpretations Of The Psychedelic Era, a comp Never / Ever sent me of current Aussie bands covering the Nuggets comp.

3. Slows down with a folky country version of Promenade in Green. I like the version but only know the Rick Nelson version.

The late, great Tim Hardin with ‘Green Rocky Road’ from Tim Hardin 1.

4. A little synth snippet. Kinda nice.

Michael Rother (ex NEU!, Harmonia) with ‘KM1’ from Katzenmusik. I know you’re not big on krautrock, so I didn’t want to throw too much at you, hence just this little snippet.

5. Great upfront guitar garagey next. This kinda checks off all the post punk earmarks, but it's good for what it is.

The great Toy Love with a live version of their first single, ‘Squeeze’ from the recent Live At The Gluepot. Toy Love were around in 1979 – 1980 and a landmark band here in NZ, influencing a lot of punk, post-punk, indie bands here for a long time. One of whom was…

6. Like the previous song checks off all the post punk earmarks, this one does as well as early indie. That's not a criticism as much as an observation. I remember when every singer was trying to sound like Ian McCulloch or Adrian Borland.

The Verlaines with ‘Take Good Care Of It’ from Bird-Dog, (Goldwax’s all-time favourite album, incidentally). These guys have been around since 1980 and this is from their second album released in 1987. Singer-guitarist Graeme Downes is now Professor Graeme Downes and head of the music dept at Otago Uni. Crikey !

7. I liked the treatment of this song but not the woman's voice that much. The strength of the sound kept me listening.

Judee Sill with ‘Down Where The Valleys Are Low’ from Heart Food.

8. I like when the Stones get fun-kay. They were lucky to have Charlie Watts.

Listen to Sloop at this point. ‘Live With Me’ from Let It Bleed, of course.

9. Nice little slide guitar instrumental thing.

Moebius & Plank with ‘Landebahn’ from Rastakraut Pasta (!!). Dieter Moebius was in Cluster and the afore-mentioned Harmonia, while Conrad Plank was a leading producer in West Germany, producing Kraftwerk, NEU!, Cluster, etc, etc.
As with the Michael Rother track, I didn’t want to throw it at you, so again just provided a snippet.

10. Again, very funky. Sounds like Betty Davis.

Ms Davis herself ! ‘Shoo-B-Doop And Cop Him’ from They Say I’m Different. A very talented individual – I wonder why she disappeared so quickly as she arrived ?

11. Veers into indie rock now. This is okay. It keeps the disc moving along.

Dunedin ‘80s indie band Look Blue Go Purple with ‘Cactus Cat’ from the, er, Compilation compilation CD of their EPs.

12. Now we go into Cramps - always fun.

Always, always, always top fun. A live version of ‘Can Your Pussy Do The Dog?’ from RockinNReelininAucklandNewZealandXXX live album recorded in Auckland in 1986. About 10 people (including Arthur Crud) I know were there and say it was an amazing show.

13. Slows down now into some melodica-led dub. Tappa Zukie maybe?

No, another great melodica player, Augustus Pablo with ‘King David’s Melody’ from the album of the same name.

14. Back to the fuzzed out garage for this one. Very primal that doesn't get away because of the restrained vocals that effectively straitjacket the song. I liked this controlled frenzy.

Nick Cave’s side project Grinderman with ‘Worm Tamer’ from Grinderman 2. Sloop in “Likes Nick Cave Shock!!” ;)

15. After the last one, we get a welcome respite with an acoustic number with a woman singer. At first, I kinda liked all the babydoll girl singers, but I'm starting to get really tired of 'em. Every once in awhile, because I don't play 'em myself much, these torchy kind of things are nice.

Hope Sandoval and the Warm Inventions with ‘Sets The Blaze’ from Through The Devil Softly.

16. I liked the music, hated the singer, if you could call him that as they play Cheap Trick's He's a Whore.

Fair call. One Chicago band covering another, Big Black, with one Steve Albini on vocals and guitar, doing ‘He’s A Whore’. This was originally a single in 1987 or so with their equally, er, unique cover of Kraftwerk’s ‘The Model’ on the other side. Now added to their Songs About Fucking CD.

17. I liked this ending song. Kinda bouncy but menacing guitar and bass.

I’m sending coal to Newcastle. I wanted to send something from your neck of the woods to you, but a ‘60s act would’ve been too obvious. So instead here’s The Residents with ‘The Booker Tease’ from Duck Stab. Booker Tease – Booker T’s – geddit ??

TRACKLISTING:

1) Len Lye – Sea Serpent, 0.33.
2) Pond – Hey Joe, 3.01.
3) Tim Hardin – Green Rocky Road, 2.16.
4) Michael Rother – KM1, 0.33.
5) Toy Love – Squeeze, 3.09.
6) Verlaines – Take Good Care Of It, 2.17.
7) Judee Sill – Down Where The Valleys Are Low, 3.53.
8) Rolling Stones – Live With Me, 3.33.
9) Moebius & Plank – Landebahn, 1.28.
10) Betty Davis – Shoo-B-Doop And Cop Him, 3.56.
11) Look Blue Go Purple – Cactus Cat, 3.25.
12) The Cramps – Can Your Pussy Do The Dog ?, 3.38.
13) Augustus Pablo – King David’s Melody, 3.23.
14) Grinderman – Worm Tamer, 3.13.
15) Hope Sandoval & the Warm Inventions – Sets The Blaze, 2.29.
16) Big Black – He’s A Whore, 2.36.
17) The Residents – The Booker Tease, 1.09.
"U2 routinely spent a year in the studio...I have a theory: if you put four monkeys in the studio for a year with Lanois and Eno and Lillywhite, they would make a pretty good record, too."

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 30 Jan 2013, 02:29

I meant Augustus Pablo.
Last edited by sloopjohnc on 30 Jan 2013, 05:44, edited 1 time in total.

beenieman

Postby beenieman » 30 Jan 2013, 02:39

sloopjohnc wrote:I met Augustus Pablo.

Tell us more.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 30 Jan 2013, 05:44

beenieman wrote:

Tell us more.

I typed too quickly.

beenieman

Postby beenieman » 30 Jan 2013, 06:26

sloopjohnc wrote:
beenieman wrote:

Tell us more.

I typed too quickly.

:(

Magilla
Otago Mago

Postby Magilla » 01 Feb 2013, 00:44

I got 16 tracks this month covering Latino, funk, Afro-funk and assorted points in-between. It’s a very good sampler of stuff I’m pretty much unfamiliar with, so serves well as an introduction to these areas.
I was also wished Happy New Year on the CD sleeve, so a Happy New Year to you to, mixer !

1) A Latino band, maybe from the ‘60s, given the particular fuzz guitar style and tones. Wonderful opener.

2) A plaintive voice at the start and some basic percussion. Nice call and response vocals. Unexpectedly goes electric in places. A weird sample-based track or a mash-up, maybe. Interesting.

3) Slinky lounge instrumentation, which goes more upbeat. “Let’s go to the discotheque” they enthuse. An amusing song, but lounge in general just isn’t my cup of tea, sorry.

4) A singer-songwriter. Fantastic song. Great, nimble picking guitar solos here and there. This is really good.

5) Lots of trumpets and percussion. Might be African. The funky guitar parts are really good. The funky second half is especially fine.

6) A Latino band, it’d appear. The brass section is lovely.

7) Not sure where these guys are from. Slightly garage rocky drums and guitar riffs here and there. Very intriguing.

8) African, maybe. Maracas-type percussion is prominent. Good song.

9) The highlight of the mix !! A fantastic, utterly scintillating funk blow-out. This truly rockets along, propelled by urgent drums and guitars. Amazing singer too, I’m just surprised she can keep up with the band’s break-neck pace. An amazing, truly great song. Who is this ?

10) Rubbery funk, sleazy wah guitar, bouncy keys…it is, of course, the one and only Sly & the Family Stone with ‘The Skin I’m In’. God, what an extraordinarily talented band they were. Timeless music.

11) More fulminating funk ! Tight and very, very groovy. A ripper of a song. Great stuff !

12) Great brass section. Very enjoyable.

13) A Latino track, again, enjoyable.

14) Funky and groovy, good stuff.

15) Latino, loaded with funk again.

16) Uptempo and funky, great way to end the mix.

Thank you mixer, this has been a very enjoyable mix and has me keen to check out more by these acts, especially #9 and 11. Cheers !
"U2 routinely spent a year in the studio...I have a theory: if you put four monkeys in the studio for a year with Lanois and Eno and Lillywhite, they would make a pretty good record, too."

T. Willy Rye
Spinner of crazy fuck-ass shit

Postby T. Willy Rye » 01 Feb 2013, 03:07

Magilla wrote:I got 16 tracks this month covering Latino, funk, Afro-funk and assorted points in-between. It’s a very good sampler of stuff I’m pretty much unfamiliar with, so serves well as an introduction to these areas.
I was also wished Happy New Year on the CD sleeve, so a Happy New Year to you to, mixer !

Yay! Someone reviewed my disc.

1) A Latino band, maybe from the ‘60s, given the particular fuzz guitar style and tones. Wonderful opener.

Glad you liked this one. Os Mutantes with A Minha Menina.

2) A plaintive voice at the start and some basic percussion. Nice call and response vocals. Unexpectedly goes electric in places. A weird sample-based track or a mash-up, maybe. Interesting.

This one is weird, but that ain’t no thing to me. Raul Seixas with Mosca Na Sopa

3) Slinky lounge instrumentation, which goes more upbeat. “Let’s go to the discotheque” they enthuse. An amusing song, but lounge in general just isn’t my cup of tea, sorry.

I guess this was a little risky, but I love when the vocalist goes from cute 60s zany mod to the one riot grrrl scream and then back the loungy horns that come in with that groovy geetar and organ. Bazzazz Tengoku by the Cupids

4) A singer-songwriter. Fantastic song. Great, nimble picking guitar solos here and there. This is really good.

I have the Count to thank for turning me onto Novos Baianos. Rolling Stone said that Acabou Chorare is the best Brazilian record period. I don’t normally give two fucks about what Rolling Stone says, but they may be on to something here. This one’s called Preta, Pretina and I’m right there with you about the guitar.

5) Lots of trumpets and percussion. Might be African. The funky guitar parts are really good. The funky second half is especially fine.

This one’s from the comp. Angola Soundtrack (The Unique Sound of Luanda 1968-1976). Another compilation that features some fine strumming.

6) A Latino band, it’d appear. The brass section is lovely.

Another Count endorsed band- The Lebron Brothers with Que Pana from their fine record Salsa Y Control on the Fania label.

7) Not sure where these guys are from. Slightly garage rocky drums and guitar riffs here and there. Very intriguing.

I just love the funky guitar on this one- Orchestre Super Borgou de Parakouu with Gandigui.

8) African, maybe. Maracas-type percussion is prominent. Good song.

This is from the Carribbean. A Soundway comp I’ve been mining for a couple years- Tumbele!. This is Manza Mona by Raphael Zachille.

9) The highlight of the mix !! A fantastic, utterly scintillating funk blow-out. This truly rockets along, propelled by urgent drums and guitars. Amazing singer too, I’m just surprised she can keep up with the band’s break-neck pace. An amazing, truly great song. Who is this ?

Ray Barretto throwing down a Nu Yorican boogaloo funkfest. Get Together.

10) Rubbery funk, sleazy wah guitar, bouncy keys…it is, of course, the one and only Sly & the Family Stone with ‘The Skin I’m In’. God, what an extraordinarily talented band they were. Timeless music.

It’s actually Chairmen of the Board, but why quibble?

11) More fulminating funk ! Tight and very, very groovy. A ripper of a song. Great stuff !

Hang on in There by the Stovall Sisters from the What it is! Comp.

12) Great brass section. Very enjoyable.

El Preso by Colombia’s Fruko Y Sus Tesos.

13) A Latino track, again, enjoyable.

Coming now from Cuba- Septeto Nacional with Llora Como Llore.

14) Funky and groovy, good stuff.

Taken from another great Soundway comp- Cartegena! I’ve seen other versions of this track, so I figure it may be a Cumbia standard. This is Arroz Con Coco by Lucho Bermudez y Su Orquesta Sabanera.

15) Latino, loaded with funk again.

Maybe this might be a lot of Latin to absorb. I felt like I was on a roll when I was putting it together. Eddie Palmieri and his Orchestra.

16) Uptempo and funky, great way to end the mix.

Ending where we began in Brazil, with the lovely voice of Elis Regina.

Thank you mixer, this has been a very enjoyable mix and has me keen to check out more by these acts, especially #9 and 11. Cheers !

So glad this went down well. I felt I had little to offer you in the rock/pop continuum. Give a cough should you want to explore anything further.

Track list
1. A Minja Menina- Os Mutantes
2. Mosca Na Sopa- Raul Seixas
3. Bazzazz Tengoku- The Cupids
4. Preta, Pretinha- Novos Baianos
5. Eme Lelu- Quim Manuel O Espirito Santo
6. Que Pana- Lebron Brothers
7. Gandigui- Orchestre Super de Parakou
8. Manze Mona- Raphael Zachille
9. Together- Ray Barretto
10. Skin I’m In- Chairmen of the Board
11. Hang On In There- The Stovall Sisters
12. El Preso- Fruko Y Sus Tesos
13. Llora Como Llore- Septeto Nacional
14. Arroz Con Coco- Lucho Bermudez Y Su Orquesta Sabanera
15. Ay Que Rico- Eddie Palmieri & His Orquestra
16. Bicho Do Mato- Elis Regina

whodathunkit

Postby whodathunkit » 01 Feb 2013, 12:24

Bugger, missed the deadline. A largely instrumental disc for January which always makes for a tricky review. The music was sweet enough though.

1. Gentle, sombre little mood-setter, guitar with loads of vibrato and background bleeps.
2. Jazz, a bit on the stern side for me, unlike a delight to come. I can admire but not particularly like it. All very angular and a bit skronky.
3. That's better - a little more lowbrow. Tinkling, meandering piano over churning, building rhythm section. Reminds me of..........er somebody. Whoever it is, they do a lot of this sort of thing.
4. A proper song next. Marching beat, xylophone and nice horns - very English vocals. "Roll Out the Gardener" or some such. Very much my sort of thing.
5. Another song. The vocals remind me of Floyd but the sound is decidedly electronic-indie. Nice enough.
6. This once sort of passed me by, 80s sounding electro pop ballad. "My heart skips a beat". But at least it's not Olly Murs.
7. A lovely jazz piece with mellow Coltrane-like sax which gives way to some gorgeous shimmering piano in the middle section. Sounds like very posh lounge music. Which is a good thing :D .
8. Odd little thing. Electric guitar sounding like a banjo over jazzy backing. Groovy.
9. Right then. I think I've done about 4 years in mix club and though I've found much to enjoy, there's only been a handful of things that have really blown me away. Add this to the list. Basically this is Ivor Cutler reciting "The Dong With The Luminous Nose". He has the perfect voice for Lear and the accompaniment is superbly sympathetic. It's 11 and a half minutes long and I kept on playing it twice! No idea who's involved here besides the great Ivor but I'm coughing up a storm ;) !
10. Guitars and electronics with arty type vocal burbling on in the background, Much better than that sounds.
11. Another gorgeous one. Jazz flute, harp, piano. Not much to say. It hits the spot.
12. "Shine, shine, shine". Probably a re-mix of something dead famous. Beats me. Stone Roses feel. Enjoyed it.
13. Starts from not much and builds into a funky little work-out. Good closer.

All in all, an excellent disc with just about nowt that I knew. Sorry it took awhile but I received my tardy December mix and your prompt January one on the same day. Went with the earlier one first and two weeks later I'm still waiting for a reveal :( .

Thanks again oh mystery mixer from Dorset ;) .

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 01 Feb 2013, 13:26

whodathunkit wrote:Bugger, missed the deadline. A largely instrumental disc for January which always makes for a tricky review. The music was sweet enough though.

Hi! I was your mixer this month

whodathunkit wrote:1. Gentle, sombre little mood-setter, guitar with loads of vibrato and background bleeps.

I only bought last month's Mojo for the interview with Johnny Marr; it came with a little disc of his collaborations/collaborators. This was the stand-out for me, Johnny with Matt Johnson/The The on a recent soundtrack piece. It's called "The Evening Star"

whodathunkit wrote:2. Jazz, a bit on the stern side for me, unlike a delight to come. I can admire but not particularly like it. All very angular and a bit skronky.

Having decided to start inflicting more jazz on mix club recipients, I thought I'd start with the guitarist Justin Quinn, whose group Bakehouse this is. Only one album, several years ago now. I like the proggy thickets of guitar he throws around. "Deconstruction On Your Head"

whodathunkit wrote:3. That's better - a little more lowbrow. Tinkling, meandering piano over churning, building rhythm section. Reminds me of..........er somebody. Whoever it is, they do a lot of this sort of thing.

The everso wonderful Electrelane. A bit of a mix club standby I think, I've both sent & received their tracks before. They are currently on hiatus but hopefully itr won't be for too long. "If Not Now, When?" is the title of Primo Levi's only real novel.

whodathunkit wrote:4. A proper song next. Marching beat, xylophone and nice horns - very English vocals. "Roll Out the Gardener" or some such. Very much my sort of thing.

Stereolab are in the same ball park as Electrelane, in my head at least. A superb band with a unique sound. This is "Silver Sands", from their penultimate album Chemical Chords

whodathunkit wrote:5. Another song. The vocals remind me of Floyd but the sound is decidedly electronic-indie. Nice enough.

This is Seeland, who are an escapee from Broadcast and the drummer from (iirc) Plone. Two albums so far of this sort of stuff, this is "Black Dot, White SPider" from their second album How To Live

whodathunkit wrote:6. This once sort of passed me by, 80s sounding electro pop ballad. "My heart skips a beat". But at least it's not Olly Murs.

Do you remember Joe Lean & The Jing Jang Jong, sub-Libertines indie chancers dropped before they released their debut? This is the non Joe Lean part, now trading as Toy from their eponymous debut. Like the Horrors they now mine an eighties synth-rock vibe. The title is as you suggest.

whodathunkit wrote:7. A lovely jazz piece with mellow Coltrane-like sax which gives way to some gorgeous shimmering piano in the middle section. Sounds like very posh lounge music. Which is a good thing :D .

Just before Christmas I picked up some recent British jazz issues. This is Nat Birchall with "Dream of Eden" from his album World Without Form. There is some more skronking elsewehere on the album.

whodathunkit wrote:8. Odd little thing. Electric guitar sounding like a banjo over jazzy backing. Groovy.

This is Tom Verlaine, the Television guitarist. It's called "Rain, Sidewalk" and stuck out as an immediate winner for me when I first heard its parent album, Around

whodathunkit wrote:9. Right then. I think I've done about 4 years in mix club and though I've found much to enjoy, there's only been a handful of things that have really blown me away. Add this to the list. Basically this is Ivor Cutler reciting "The Dong With The Luminous Nose". He has the perfect voice for Lear and the accompaniment is superbly sympathetic. It's 11 and a half minutes long and I kept on playing it twice! No idea who's involved here besides the great Ivor but I'm coughing up a storm ;) !

Yes, this is Ivor Cutler narrating, with music written and arranged by the late, great Britjazzer Neil Ardley. The track comes from the just-reissued A Symphony of Amaranths, but I think I put on a vinyl rip I downloaded instead of the cleaner CD version. The album also features a lovely version of 'Will YOu Walk A Little Faster' (Lewis Carroll) sung by Norma Winstone. I'll drop you a copy of the CD next week, but be warned this could be the start of an obsession with 60s/70s British jazz.

whodathunkit wrote:10. Guitars and electronics with arty type vocal burbling on in the background, Much better than that sounds.

And this is Broadcast, mentioned some way above, with their own title track from the albumn Tender Buttons.

whodathunkit wrote:11. Another gorgeous one. Jazz flute, harp, piano. Not much to say. It hits the spot.

The composer and arranger is Matthew Halsall, who plays the late trumpet solo in this piece. He's from the same Manchester scene that gave you Nat Birchall above (who I think appears on this album too, though not this track). This is "The Sun in September" from Fletcher Moss Park, which is a great album.

whodathunkit wrote:12. "Shine, shine, shine". Probably a re-mix of something dead famous. Beats me. Stone Roses feel. Enjoyed it.

David Bowie sings "Bleed Like a Craze Dad" from his soundtrack to The Buddha of Suburbia. Part of the reason for putting this on was the jazzy Mike Garson piano part. The other reason was having just re-acquanted myself with the album as it was discussed on http://bowiesongs.wordpress.com/

whodathunkit wrote:13. Starts from not much and builds into a funky little work-out. Good closer.

The Beastie Boys funking up an instrumental storm on "Off The Grid" from their instrumental album The Mix Up.

whodathunkit wrote:All in all, an excellent disc with just about nowt that I knew. Sorry it took awhile but I received my tardy December mix and your prompt January one on the same day. Went with the earlier one first and two weeks later I'm still waiting for a reveal :( .

Thanks again oh mystery mixer from Dorset ;) .

It was a pleasure, especially to find you some stuff you weren't familiar with and yet appear to have liked! :)

The Evening Star - The The
Deconstruction On Your Head - Justin Quinn’s Bakehouse
If Not Now, When? - Electrelane
Silver Sands - Stereolab
Black Dot, White Spider - Seeland
My Heart Skips a Beat - TOY
Dream of Eden - Nat Birchall
Rain, Sidewalk - Tom Verlaine
The Dong With a Luminous Nose - Neil Ardley (feat Ivor Cutler)
Tender Buttons - Broadcast
The Sun in September - Matthew Halsall
Bleed Like A Craze, Dad - David Bowie
Off The Grid - Beastie Boys
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 03 Feb 2013, 14:33

Review tomorrow, sender, have listened now. Sorry for the delay!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 03 Feb 2013, 16:24

Actually, no, I will do it now!

1. Some jaunty piece, presumably from a musical though I can't tell which one
2. A country cover, I think, of a famous song, I think, though unsure of either the song or the singer
3. This is either the White Stripes or Jack on his own - either way, it's fabulous
4. A punky tune that I should know, I'm sure, about 'sounds from the street'. It wouldn't surprise me if it were an Irish or Scottish band judging by the vocals
5. My husband thinks this is Alejandro Escarvardo which is a good job because I wouldnt bloody know
6. B52s, surely!
7. ome blues - not sure who, but I really like it
8. Is this Lee Hazelwood? An artist I really must explore more, I really like him. Singing about a Cold Hard World! I love it when the strings come in
9.Melancholy pan pipe random film music is what I think this is! I like it a lot!
10.Slow guitar track, bizarre vocals, a little Bjorky even and just the right side of crazy for me.
11.No idea at all who this is, was struggling to make out the lyrics, I could swear it is Coldplay!
12.This sounds like it might be the Magnetic Fields, am I right?
13.Is this new Richard Hawley stuff? I havent listened to any of his most recent stuff, which is daft as I really rate him
14. This MUST be Dusty
15. I'm afraid this got turned off after 6 seconds due to the large jazz component
16.Some funky disco tune, Candi Staton maybe? Nice!

This was a neat little disc, I was happy to get it prior to taking a little mix club break. I didnt care much for the jazz of 15 or track 11 but otherwise it was really enjoyable. Thank you!

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

whodathunkit

Postby whodathunkit » 04 Feb 2013, 11:18

Minnie the Mincepie wrote:Actually, no, I will do it now!

Yes, I'm doing this now as well

1. Some jaunty piece, presumably from a musical though I can't tell which one

"Here's Harry" by Ivor Slaney, originally the theme for the Harry Worth show but eventually a generic piece used for any old black and white BBC comedy clips - trombones blaring and all that. Thought this would be a nice nostalgic opener but right now it strikes me that our references for this stuff are about 30 years apart :oops: .

2. A country cover, I think, of a famous song, I think, though unsure of either the song or the singer

Dwight Yoakum from his latest, 3 Pears, and a cracking version of an old Bakersfield classic "Dim Lights Thick Smoke"

3. This is either the White Stripes or Jack on his own - either way, it's fabulous

You can't mistake Meg's drumming. WS and "Hello Operator"

4. A punky tune that I should know, I'm sure, about 'sounds from the street'. It wouldn't surprise me if it were an Irish or Scottish band judging by the vocals

South-east London. The Chords from 1980 and "Maybe Tomorrow"

5. My husband thinks this is Alejandro Escarvardo which is a good job because I wouldnt bloody know

And he's right. Doncha just hate it when that happens? "Dear Head On The Wall"

6. B52s, surely!

My favourite of theirs (though it's a very small field for me) - "Song For A Future Generation" from Whammy(1983).

7. ome blues - not sure who, but I really like it

Black rockabilly singer GL Crockett and "Look Out Mabel"

8. Is this Lee Hazelwood? An artist I really must explore more, I really like him. Singing about a Cold Hard World! I love it when the strings come in

I've only recently stated to explore beyond the obvious stuff, "Cold Hard World" from an excellent recent anthology with the same title.

9.Melancholy pan pipe random film music is what I think this is! I like it a lot!

A little medative interlude. Marimba, Pan Pipes - the full yoghurt-weaving kit. "Japura River" composed by Philip Glass and played by a Brazilian group called Uakti.

10.Slow guitar track, bizarre vocals, a little Bjorky even and just the right side of crazy for me.

How come you think every female folky voice is Bjork? :D I notice dgs sent you an Unthanks track last month and I've done the same. A jolly little song about industrial diseases, "Monkey Dung Man", from their Songs from the Shipyards collection.

11.No idea at all who this is, was struggling to make out the lyrics, I could swear it is Coldplay!

Coldplay? Bloody hell :lol: . Canadian band the Hidden Cameras and an incredibly irritatingly catchy song called "In The Na" from two or three years ago.

12.This sounds like it might be the Magnetic Fields, am I right?

It does sound like it might be the Magnetic Fields. And it sort of is. A Stephen Merritt side-project, the 6ths and "You You You You"

13.Is this new Richard Hawley stuff? I havent listened to any of his most recent stuff, which is daft as I really rate him

From last year's Standing At The Sky's Edge on which he put aside the Johnny Cash homages and plugged in again. Excellent record. This one's "Leave Your Body Behind You".

14. This MUST be Dusty

Her super version of Janis Ian's "In The Winter" not released in her lifetime.

15. I'm afraid this got turned off after 6 seconds due to the large jazz component

Shame because it goes a bit loony later on. Richard Evans and "Capricorn Rising"

16.Some funky disco tune, Candi Staton maybe? Nice!

Damn right, it's good! That's the title. Gwen Guthrie

Minnie the Mincepie wrote:This was a neat little disc, I was happy to get it prior to taking a little mix club break. I didnt care much for the jazz of 15 or track 11 but otherwise it was really enjoyable. Thank you!

My pleasure. Listing time.

1. "Here's Harry" - Ivor Slaney
2. "Dim Lights Thick Smoke" - Dwight Yoakum
3. "Hello Operator" - The White Stripes
4. "Maybe Tomorrow" - The Chords
5. "Dear Head On The Wall" - Alejandro Escovedo
6. "Song For A Future Generation" - The B52s
7. "Look Out Mabel" - GL Crockett
8. "Cold Hard Times" - Lee Hazlewood
9. "Japura River" - Uakti
10. "Monkey Dung Man" - The Unthanks
11. "In The Na" - The Hidden Cameras
12. "You You You You" - The 6ths
13. "Leave Your Body Behind You" - Richard Hawley
14, "In The Winter" - Dusty Springfield
15. "Capricorn Rising" - Richard Evans
16 "Damn Right It's Good" - Gwen Guthrie

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 07 Feb 2013, 13:13

Well thanks very much indeed, love! :)

Dr Markus wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 09 Feb 2013, 22:07

Clearly my recipient values 'working' and 'raising a family' above reviewing his disc.

Dr Markus wrote:

beenieman

Postby beenieman » 09 Feb 2013, 22:21

Minnie the Mincepie wrote:Clearly my recipient values 'working' and 'raising a family' above reviewing his disc.

Talk about self centered. Your recipient should focus on their committments.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 09 Feb 2013, 23:44

beenieman wrote:
Minnie the Mincepie wrote:Clearly my recipient values 'working' and 'raising a family' above reviewing his disc.

Talk about self centered. Your recipient should focus on their committments.

In my day, etc etc etc

Dr Markus wrote:

Return to “Mix Club”