May 2012 Reviews

Exchange mix CDs with each other.
T. Willy Rye
Spinner of crazy fuck-ass shit

Re: May 2012 Reviews

Postby T. Willy Rye » 15 Jun 2012, 04:16

Fangedango! wrote:
T. Willy Rye wrote: this track...still feels me with nostalgia

What kind of set up are you using there, Eric? :?

(Mental note - pack a chastity belt when i go to Eric's to 'listen' to some tunes.)

I did that review kind of hastily and I've also been taking a lot of cold medication. The codeine stuff helps me sleep and creates this not unpleasant sort of haze during my waking hours.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 15 Jun 2012, 05:09

Just make sure it's not some old bottles of this...

Get well soon.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

TG

Postby TG » 15 Jun 2012, 14:06

I am aware that I am insanely late with my review and I apologize for that. The insanity in my life at the moment is to blame. I will get it done this weekend. Somehow.

Thank you.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 15 Jun 2012, 16:01

TG wrote:I will get it done this weekend.

haven't I heard that before somewhere ? :D ;)
We're way past rhubarb

geoffcowgill
exceptionally nondescript

Postby geoffcowgill » 15 Jun 2012, 20:09

TG wrote:
Last Temptation The Twilight Singers
Wild In The Street Garland Jeffrey
King of the Bayou Joe Strummer
Whiskey Woman The Flamin' Groovies
Fast As You Dwight Yoakam
Jewel Eyed Judy Fleetwood Mac
King Of The Hill Roger McGuinn
Tears Won't Help Steve Wynn
Hideous Pleasure Liquor Giants
Angel of the Morning The Pretenders
She's Just 14 John Phillips
She's Got True Believers
Surf Roach Izzy Stradlin
Over And Over MC5
I Sell Soul Rocket From The Tombs[/color]

Well, I am quite surprised by the John Phillips. I have Wolfking of LA, but this sounds nothing like that album (or the Mamas and Papas, for that matter). The Flaming Groovies was a bit of a surprise as well, as I have Flamingo and that didn't lead me to expect this kind of sound. And Rocket From the Tombs I've never actually heard, although my brother was recently raving about them and some shows he saw of theirs with Lloyd.

Thanks again. Some good stuff on there that I'll have to look into further.

TG

Postby TG » 16 Jun 2012, 14:15

The Fish wrote:
TG wrote:I will get it done this weekend.

haven't I heard that before somewhere ? :D ;)

Exactly. By my estimation that promise gives me at least 3 months to get my review done. :lol:
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

TG

Postby TG » 17 Jun 2012, 20:20

Hey, hey it's the weekend...

So here we go. This is, perhaps, the hardest Mix Club CD I've had to review. It's 20 tracks of mostly mid-tempo reggae. I like reggae just fine and own far more than Marley's Legend and the S/T to The Harder They Come. But I'd been listening to this in my car and to my (inexperienced?, cloth?) ears there was not much difference from one track to the next. So I did what any self respecting Mix Club participant would do and gathered up several ounces of high grade Chronic and rolled one of those newspaper sized joints that are still, I'm sure, all the rage in Jamaica and sat down to the keyboard. It's all starting to make more sense suddenly!

1) Sounds like a drum machine but is otherwise a very traditional old school vibe. Typical coming of age story line that takes a quick turn to praising God and begging for His mercy. Not my favorite sentiment but it's a nice understated backing track. An okay start.

2) I think this one includes samples so might be of somewhat more recent vintage than it sounds. More Jah love. And our first reference to Haile Selassie. And only track two. It's a pretty good song but lacks dynamics.

3) Nice Wah-Wah guitar part. And our first Marcus Garvey shout out. Nice to see things haven't changed too much in the old neighborhood. It's a comfort. This is a really good band and some real record production. The arrangement is near perfection. I like this a lot.

4) The horn part is taken from some other song that I can't place. The first Trenchtown mention! Wait, the horn part is the opening line from Herb Alpert's Lonely Bull, I think. The singer spends far too much time repeating "tra la la la" and "sing my song" and I must need to relight that spleef because it's starting to bug me. I need to chill. Not crazy about this track.

5) This has that perfect skank groove that, I'm realizing, is what I dig in reggae. Leave the edges a little jagged. Don't be smoothing everything out. I'm really digging this song and it's not just because of the reefer. This is good.

6) Drum machines? Probably. I don't mind drum machines if they aren't simply turned on, adjusted for tempo and left alone. Do something with them, you know? Prince used a Linn drum machine for years but he knew how to program it so that it sounded more natural. Anyway, this song doesn't vary much from verse to chorus or beginning to end. It just sort of hovers therre and I seem to have lost interest.

7) I think the opening line - "Thank you Lord for what you've done for me..." - was just used in one of the other songs. It seems like the band members are going through their paces. There's not a lot of passion beyond that in the lyrics.

8) Return of the skank guitar. This one is built like funk record. The instrumental interplay is amazing - all the little simplistic parts producing a whole that seems so much more than its parts. I would buy this song. More weed!!!

9) A pleasant enough boy-girl duet. Simple and heart felt; the Paul & Paula of the genre, no doubt. It's a harmless bit of fun and I'll not hold that against it. Over five minutes and doesn't outstay its welcome.

10) The joint went out but I found a chunk of black hash and a long forgotten hookah. Is it okay to smoke hash while listening to reggae? It's okay with me. This track is almost dub in its simplicity. I like this one so much that I quit typing and just got into it. Twice. A very funky record.

11) I know what Baroque pop is but Baroque reggae? Who knew? The opening flute sounds that likely are really a keyboard give this track just such a feel. There is a direct line from this record to Chicago Soul, in general and Curtis Mayfield and the Impressions, in particular. This song could be a hit in any genre.

12) More Jah love. This guy loves Jah. He says the word Jah at least 25 times. Believe me when I tell you this guy loves Jah.

13) Firehouse Rock by the Wailing Souls. My girlfriend has this. A terrific record.

14) This record shows the relationship that exists between Jamaican music and New Orleans music. The Caribbean thang. I can get into this. A very understated and weird lead vocal. I'd buy this.

15) I'm pretty sure that every track so far has opened with a drum pattern before the rest of the band kicks in. This one was no different. Another dub like thing. This is one of the best tracks here. A relentless groove that just sucks you in.

16) This is another record that's okay but that suffers from a lack of dynamics. It starts and just keeps going without much nuance. Not for me.

17) I dig this very odd record. Our singer is apparently..."Just a rubadub soldier Fighting to keep the Rockers alive..." It's a dead simple electrobeat track that features military drums and sirens and a drum beat that consists entirely of the handclap setting on any drum machine. Over the top vocals are the icing on the cake.

18) We're nearing the end and I figure I'd better retorch the blunt. The hook to this song goes "...She wouldn't listen to me..." And I think I know why she wouldn't. The guy is a bit annoying and repetitive. I think I'm taking her side in this little disagreement.

19) This one is alright but lacks anything that really sells it. A bit generic, I guess. It's nice enough and doesn't rankle but neither does it do much to distinguish itself.

20) Just as I was twisting up a second joint this final track - Sinsemilla Addict - came on. I started to rethink what I was doing but got so caught up in the song that I had it rolled before I knew what I was doing. I love this song. But the rest of my day is probably shot.

So I had to get out of the car and into the groove to really appreciate this mix. There were several that I'd gladly purchase and only a few I just didn't like. Thanks for the listen and apologies for the tardiness.

Now I'm off to make my June mix so I can get it in the mail. By next weekend.

NickC

Postby NickC » 18 Jun 2012, 07:40

Im very sorry for my late review. Unfortunately my laptop has been down for the last two weeks and I dont have access to a PC. Im using the phone to write this, which is torture. Rest assured as soon as its fixed i'l be back.

beenieman

Postby beenieman » 23 Jun 2012, 04:40

TG wrote: Hey, hey it's the weekend...

So here we go. This is, perhaps, the hardest Mix Club CD I've had to review. It's 20 tracks of mostly mid-tempo reggae. I like reggae just fine and own far more than Marley's Legend and the S/T to The Harder They Come. But I'd been listening to this in my car and to my (inexperienced?, cloth?) ears there was not much difference from one track to the next. So I did what any self respecting Mix Club participant would do and gathered up several ounces of high grade Chronic and rolled one of those newspaper sized joints that are still, I'm sure, all the rage in Jamaica and sat down to the keyboard. It's all starting to make more sense suddenly!

Harder than the last disc I sent you? Surely not. The last disc I sent you, in response to your suggestion that you’d like to explore reggae from me was current reggae tracks (not dancehall) but much of it was too autotuned for you. So this time I went old school and pre digital. Lighting up for it is fine.
TG wrote: 1) Sounds like a drum machine but is otherwise a very traditional old school vibe. Typical coming of age story line that takes a quick turn to praising God and begging for His mercy. Not my favorite sentiment but it's a nice understated backing track. An okay start.

No drum machines here but it’s likely Sly & Robbie and Sly Dunbar can probably keep better time than any drum machine. It’s The Mighty Diamonds with The Poor Man’s Prayer. Probably my favourite track from them though there’s lots to choose from. An LP track.
TG wrote: 2) I think this one includes samples so might be of somewhat more recent vintage than it sounds. More Jah love. And our first reference to Haile Selassie. And only track two. It's a pretty good song but lacks dynamics.

Norberth Clarke - Consider The Poor. He changed his name to Lehbamchuleh for reasons I can’t fathom but had little success with either identity. If you’re going 1970’s reggae you’re going to get lots of paeans to Jah & lamentations for the poor. It’s over 30 years old and no sampling as we think of them. Back then the music had a steady pace rather than the more dynamic sounds of the last 25 years or so.
TG wrote: 3) Nice Wah-Wah guitar part. And our first Marcus Garvey shout out. Nice to see things haven't changed too much in the old neighborhood. It's a comfort. This is a really good band and some real record production. The arrangement is near perfection. I like this a lot.

Johnny Clarke - Be Holy, My Brothers & Sisters. Clarke was one of the most popular artists of the day. Glad you like it. Nice feel to the track.
TG wrote: 4) The horn part is taken from some other song that I can't place. The first Trenchtown mention! Wait, the horn part is the opening line from Herb Alpert's Lonely Bull, I think. The singer spends far too much time repeating "tra la la la" and "sing my song" and I must need to relight that spleef because it's starting to bug me. I need to chill. Not crazy about this track.

Johnny Osbourne - Trenchtown School. A Studio One track. Stepping up a bit more from the last two tracks. Osbourne was another very successful artist in the day. I just love the way these songs just lope along. I can see how they go with the ganja.
TG wrote: 5) This has that perfect skank groove that, I'm realizing, is what I dig in reggae. Leave the edges a little jagged. Don't be smoothing everything out. I'm really digging this song and it's not just because of the reefer. This is good.

Dennis Brown - Wolves & Leopards. Dennis was bigger than Bob Marley in the 70’s in Jamaica. He had hundreds of hits but this was one of his most popular. Did Dylan ever write better lyrics? Or more succinct lyrics anyway? This is the whole somg. He was known as The Crown Prince of Reggae.
Come along yeah and dig my song

Too much wagonist
Too much antagonist

Wolves and Leopards
are trying to kill the sheep and the shepherds (2x)

Too much informers
Too much talebearers(2x)

Wolves and Leopards
are trying to kill the sheep and the shepherds(2x)

Too much watch and peep
Its time the wolves dem leave the sheep(2x)

Wolves and Leopards
are trying to kill the sheep and the shepherds (3x)
Track #2 is on the same riddim.
TG wrote: 6) Drum machines? Probably. I don't mind drum machines if they aren't simply turned on, adjusted for tempo and left alone. Do something with them, you know? Prince used a Linn drum machine for years but he knew how to program it so that it sounded more natural. Anyway, this song doesn't vary much from verse to chorus or beginning to end. It just sort of hovers there and I seem to have lost interest.

Gregory Isaacs with The Fugitive. Again I doubt that’s a drum machine. Gregory competed with Dennis as the leading artist back then. One of my favourites of his. I could, and do, listen to this stuff all day. The Philistines are at the gate. Sublime.
TG wrote: 7) I think the opening line - "Thank you Lord for what you've done for me..." - was just used in one of the other songs. It seems like the band members are going through their paces. There's not a lot of passion beyond that in the lyrics.

The Heptones - Thank You Lord. Another very popular act. A simple song Not passion. Weariness. They are resigned to the outcomes Jah delivers them and grateful for his mercies.
TG wrote: 8) Return of the skank guitar. This one is built like funk record. The instrumental interplay is amazing - all the little simplistic parts producing a whole that seems so much more than its parts. I would buy this song. More weed!!!

Don Carlos - Spread Out. It is funky. Carlos was in the original line-up of Black Uhuru but left and was replaced by Michael Rose. This here music are the cream of the crop. Is I
TG wrote: 9) A pleasant enough boy-girl duet. Simple and heart felt; the Paul & Paula of the genre, no doubt. It's a harmless bit of fun and I'll not hold that against it. Over five minutes and doesn't outstay its welcome.

Ijahman & Madge - I Do. A guilty pleasure. Heartfelt indeed. I love love love this. I’ve put this on repeat for hours sometimes.
TG wrote: 10) The joint went out but I found a chunk of black hash and a long forgotten hookah. Is it okay to smoke hash while listening to reggae? It's okay with me. This track is almost dub in its simplicity. I like this one so much that I quit typing and just got into it. Twice. A very funky record.

Ashanti Waugh – Slaveship. I heard this on the radio once & thanks to the internet tracked it down. There are so many great songs out there. The lashing of the whip on the slaveship. Down in Babylon.
TG wrote: 11) I know what Baroque pop is but Baroque reggae? Who knew? The opening flute sounds that likely are really a keyboard give this track just such a feel. There is a direct line from this record to Chicago Soul, in general and Curtis Mayfield and the Impressions, in particular. This song could be a hit in any genre.

Junior English - Never Lose Never Win. I found this as I put this set together. Baroque? Yeah it is. So many of these songs should have been hits, and still could be. Maybe?
TG wrote: 12) More Jah love. This guy loves Jah. He says the word Jah at least 25 times. Believe me when I tell you this guy loves Jah.

Michael Palmer - I Love Jah Jah. Simply delivered. He truly does love Jah alright. Michael Palmer has a great voice and did have songs more lyrically complex than this but I like the feel of this one.
TG wrote: 13) Firehouse Rock by the Wailing Souls. My girlfriend has this. A terrific record.

It is them. A wonderful song and your girlfriend has good taste.
TG wrote: 14) This record shows the relationship that exists between Jamaican music and New Orleans music. The Caribbean thang. I can get into this. A very understated and weird lead vocal. I'd buy this.

Wayne Jarrett - Chip In. An enormously popular riddim. The musical backing, by Sly & Robbie is deliciously simple & complex at the same time. I have dozens of tracks over this riddim.
TG wrote: 15) I'm pretty sure that every track so far has opened with a drum pattern before the rest of the band kicks in. This one was no different. Another dub like thing. This is one of the best tracks here. A relentless groove that just sucks you in.

Triston Palma - Run Around Woman. Back then EVERY track opened with the drum pattern. I mean without a single exception. The sax makes this song. It’s probably the most popular riddim ever. Palma has a special voice. The Riddim Guide lists 254 cuts on this riddim & it would be seriously short of including them all.
TG wrote: 16) This is another record that's okay but that suffers from a lack of dynamics. It starts and just keeps going without much nuance. Not for me.

Dennis Brown - The World Is Troubled. The Crown Prince is back. A perfect song.
“The world is troubled & living ain’t easy..the world is troubled you got to be believe it..cast away all evil spells..don’t pray out here or you’ll end down in hell.. you’ve got your troubles & I’ve got my mine..let’s work together to make things fine.. got to be sure of the things we do.. preserve our lives be pure & true.. the things we feel & see were meant to be it’s self fulfillment of prophecy.The world is troubled & living ain’t easy.. the world is troubled you got to be believe.. it”
Oh yeah now
For The World is Troubled, and Living Ain't Easy
The World is Troubled, you've got to believe me
The Whole World is In Trouble, You've got to believe me!

Cast Away All evil spells, don't play a heel you'll end down in hell
You've got your troubles and I've got mine, Let's work together to make things fine
We've got to be sure of all the things we do, preserve the life sweet pure and true
The things we feel and see were meant to be, is our fulfillment of prophecy

The World is Troubled, and Living Ain't Easy
I said the World is Troubled, you've got to believe me
Yes The World is Troubled, and Living Ain't Easy
The Whole World is In Trouble, You've got to believe me!

Solo

see
After all these things shall come to pass, the end shall not be near
After all these things shall come to pass, the end shall not be near
There shall be hijacking kidnapping all over the Earth
Famine, famine and War all over the World
Got to come together

The World is Troubled, you've got to believe me
I said the World is Troubled, You've got to believe me!

Oh mankind, look around and see

TG wrote: 17) I dig this very odd record. Our singer is apparently..."Just a rubadub soldier Fighting to keep the Rockers alive..." It's a dead simple electrobeat track that features military drums and sirens and a drum beat that consists entirely of the handclap setting on any drum machine. Over the top vocals are the icing on the cake.

Paul Blake & The Bloodfire Posse - Rub A Dub Soldier. Supposedly the first ever digital reggae song. I have a fantastic t-shirt with rub a dub soldier written on it. Revolutionary style.
TG wrote: 18) We're nearing the end and I figure I'd better retorch the blunt. The hook to this song goes "...She wouldn't listen to me..." And I think I know why she wouldn't. The guy is a bit annoying and repetitive. I think I'm taking her side in this little disagreement.

Little John - True Confession. There’s a half dozen takes on this with the same lyrics with the artist inserting their names being the principal different. My favourite take on it is by Puddy Roots where he breaks into Bye Bye Love partway through but I like this too.
TG wrote: 19) This one is alright but lacks anything that really sells it. A bit generic, I guess. It's nice enough and doesn't rankle but neither does it do much to distinguish itself.

The Terrors - Don’t Bother Me. Great lyrics. He grows his sensi & is baffled when he’s arrested by the Babylon. He’s just a herbalist farmer. It’s not like he’s robbing & killing! It is just a little collie. Wonderful riddim too. It’s the note of disbelief in his voice that gets me every time.
TG wrote: 20) Just as I was twisting up a second joint this final track - Sinsemilla Addict - came on. I started to rethink what I was doing but got so caught up in the song that I had it rolled before I knew what I was doing. I love this song. But the rest of my day is probably shot.

Horace Ferguson - Sensi Addict. Now this is digital reggae. I thought a fun way to end and clearly you smoking off reinforced the point.

TG wrote: So I had to get out of the car and into the groove to really appreciate this mix. There were several that I'd gladly purchase and only a few I just didn't like. Thanks for the listen and apologies for the tardiness.
Now I'm off to make my June mix so I can get it in the mail. By next weekend.

Glad it succeeded. A non reggae disc next time you’re drawn though.
1. The Mighty Diamonds The Poor Man’s Prayer 3.48 1982
2. Norberth Clarke aka Lehbamchuleh Consider The Poor 3.51 WOLVES &LEOPARDS RIDDIM
3. Johnny Clarke Be Holy, My Brothers & Sisters 3.40
4. Johnny Osbourne Trenchtown School 2.48 1980 FAR EAST RIDDIM
5. Dennis Brown Wolves & Leopards 2.50 1977 WOLVES &LEOPARDS RIDDIM
6. Gregory Isaacs The Fugitive 3.25 1980
7. The Heptones Thank You Lord 4.22
8. Don Carlos Spread Out 3.30 1983 GHETTO QUEEN RIDDIM
9. Ijahman & Madge I Do 5.05
10. Ashanti Waugh Slaveship 3.21
11. Junior English Never Lose Never Win 3.23
12. Michael Palmer I Love Jah Jah 3.04 1982 PICK UP THE PIECES RIDDIM
13. The Wailing Souls Firehouse Rock 4.12 1981 FIREHOUSE ROCK RIDDIM
14. Wayne Jarrett Chip In 3.34 1982 TAXI RIDDIM
15. Triston Palma Run Around Woman 3.56 1984 SHANK I SHECK RIDDIM
16. Dennis Brown The World Is Troubled 3.31 1981 WORLD RIDDIM
17. Paul Blake & The Bloodfire Posse Rub A Dub Soldier 2.59 1982 ANSWER/NEVER LET GO RIDDIM
18. Little John True Confession 3.20 1984 HEAVENLESS RIDDIM
19. The Terrors Don’t Bother Me 3.15 1978 FINGERPRINT/OVER ME RIDDIM
20. Horace Ferguson Sensi Addict 4.07 1986 SENSI ADDICT RIDDIM
One night, an evil spirit held me down
I could not make one single sound
Jah told me, 'Son, use the word'
And now I'm as free as a bird

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 28 Jun 2012, 18:33

Sorry I'm late with this!

1) Low key electronica with vocoderised vocals and live drums. Unassuming but pleasant, this perks up during the M83-style flourishes during the instrumental breaks.

2) More burbling synths adding acidic squiggles to a downbeat tempo. This one doesn't really go anywhere.

3) Whoever compiled this certainly likes unhurried tempos! This is psychedelic guitar rock on a very deliberate beat. I really enjoyed the guitar sounds and the vocal harmonies, but the whole thing could have done with a bit more urgency (I listen to metal a lot - does it show?). Whatever, I liked this one.

4) Female voice sounds very familiar, but I can't put my finger on it. This is very much contemporary mainstream pop (if more tasteful than the clodhopping Euro-beat that dominates the airwaves), so it's slightly surprising to find it on a BCB disc. It has a pumping but subtle electro backbeat, and synthesized strings. It's also a really good song.

5) Back to gentle modern psychedelia, this reminds me of a less overwrought Flaming Lips. This one seems to be a bit of a grower, though the vocals are too indistinct.

6) This must be David Sylvian. Although I prefer Japan to his solo output as a rule, in certain moods his post-split music really works. It's all about subtle textures rather than melody. This is a superior example of that approach. No beats at all, just carefully marshalled synth washes, with resonant double bass notes. Delightful.

7) Nice orchestral intro, but when the female voice arrived I was less convinced. The vocals have a twee Björk-esque quality that I find slightly offputting, even though I like Björk. Decent song though, so I could learn to like this.

8) Spindly guitars over a slow drum machine rhythm, I at first wondered if this was Arab Strap. The vocals, however, were not delivered in a mumbled Scottish accent, so clearly not. Actually, I think the singer is Peter Hammill. If it's him, I've heard him do stronger material, though the mannered vocal style is great.

9) Not really for me. Folky plucking with finger-in-the-ear vocals. Rather ho-hum.

10) This is the cover of Chris Bell's 'You And Your Sister' by This Mortal Coil. As I recall, the guest vocals are by Tanya Donelly and Kim Deal. This was a great project, even their records ended up overwrought and overlong. But this cover is perfectly judged. This brings back happy memories of my years as a serious 4AD fetishist.

11) Gruff, Springsteen-style songcraft with regretful vocals over gently plucking acoustic guitar. Guitars are actually beautifully-played. Not really my thing, again, but I can appreciate this.

12) Acoustic guitar instrumental that washed straight over me. Sorry, this kind of thing does nothing for me.

13) Unbelievably twee songcraft, with wide-eyed female vocals over lilting guitars and flutes. I think I'm way too cynical to enjoy music like this. The word 'meadow' turns up a couple of times in the lyric, which tells you all you need to know - I'm getting visions of Nick prancing about with his butterfly net. Sorry.

14) More folky stuff. Again, I struggle to take the absurdly mannered vocals seriously, but the ambient backdrop is actually fascinating. Can I have an instrumental remix, please?

15) This is a version of 'Stormy Weather', though I don't recognise the singer. Very traditional arrangement with a swelling orchestra, but I get the feeling this is a modern recording. My favourite version is still the mutant electro version by Fats Comet (Adrian Sherwood and Tackhead working pseudonymously in the 80s), but it's a great song, and this verison does a good job.

16) Back to electronic beats and what sounds like a sample of the guitar line from U2's 'With Or Without You'. I liked the clean, uncluttered production here. Nice uplifting track to end the mix with.

Again, many apologies for the extreme lateness of the review. I appreciated was a disc compiled carefully with an eye to establishing a common mood. It's fair to say I enjoyed the electronic-backed selections more as a rule. I look forward to the reveal.

whodathunkit

Postby whodathunkit » 29 Jun 2012, 11:21

the masked man wrote:Sorry I'm late with this!

No problem Andrew. It's been interesting to return to this mix after a month or so. The idea was to be a bit more contemporary than usual and stay away from my usual watering-holes.

1) Low key electronica with vocoderised vocals and live drums. Unassuming but pleasant, this perks up during the M83-style flourishes during the instrumental breaks.
Johann Johannsson is an Icelandic post-classical composer whose music can be as serious as that title implies. For relaxation however he plays with this lot - the Apparat Organ Quartet. All very ironic and pastiche-laden but good fun."123 Forever" from 2010's Polyfonia

2) More burbling synths adding acidic squiggles to a downbeat tempo. This one doesn't really go anywhere.
Some real 90s electronica now.German duo Mouse On Mars and "Frosch" from their hilariously-titled debut Vulvaland.Oh, how we punned.

3) Whoever compiled this certainly likes unhurried tempos! This is psychedelic guitar rock on a very deliberate beat. I really enjoyed the guitar sounds and the vocal harmonies, but the whole thing could have done with a bit more urgency (I listen to metal a lot - does it show?). Whatever, I liked this one.
Wolf People and "Silbury Sands".The pysch label is often used for them but I think they're firmly in the prog camp.

4) Female voice sounds very familiar, but I can't put my finger on it. This is very much contemporary mainstream pop (if more tasteful than the clodhopping Euro-beat that dominates the airwaves), so it's slightly surprising to find it on a BCB disc. It has a pumping but subtle electro backbeat, and synthesized strings. It's also a really good song.
Yet another budding young female singer-songwriter. There seem to be half a dozen new ones every week. This one's called Elizaveta and I've been enjoying her album "Beatrix Runs". Track is Armies Of Your Heart"

5) Back to gentle modern psychedelia, this reminds me of a less overwrought Flaming Lips. This one seems to be a bit of a grower, though the vocals are too indistinct.
Touch of the David Byrnes I think as well.Just another band who do the odd good song. Devotchka and the title track from last year's "100 Lovers".

6) This must be David Sylvian. Although I prefer Japan to his solo output as a rule, in certain moods his post-split music really works. It's all about subtle textures rather than melody. This is a superior example of that approach. No beats at all, just carefully marshalled synth washes, with resonant double bass notes. Delightful.
Sylvian is one of those artists I always admired from a distance, waiting for a decent anthology. The recent "Victim Of Stars" collection was more than decent.This one's "A Fire In The Forest".

7) Nice orchestral intro, but when the female voice arrived I was less convinced. The vocals have a twee Björk-esque quality that I find slightly offputting, even though I like Björk. Decent song though, so I could learn to like this.
The Mummers and "Stuck In The Middle" from last year's Mink Hollow Road EP. I keep dropping them into mixes. People like 'em. I love 'em.

8) Spindly guitars over a slow drum machine rhythm, I at first wondered if this was Arab Strap. The vocals, however, were not delivered in a mumbled Scottish accent, so clearly not. Actually, I think the singer is Peter Hammill. If it's him, I've heard him do stronger material, though the mannered vocal style is great.
The thing is, with Hammill, I don't know whether I really like him. But I certainly admire him. Talk about a lone furrow."New Pen Pal" from his latest album Consequences, a record that goes from the excruciatingly embarrassing to the deeply moving within a heartbeat. One on his own.

9) Not really for me. Folky plucking with finger-in-the-ear vocals. Rather ho-hum.
American indie-folk outfit Horse Feathers and "Finch On Saturday". Not much of a song I agree but I likes the fiddle playing.

10) This is the cover of Chris Bell's 'You And Your Sister' by This Mortal Coil. As I recall, the guest vocals are by Tanya Donelly and Kim Deal. This was a great project, even their records ended up overwrought and overlong. But this cover is perfectly judged. This brings back happy memories of my years as a serious 4AD fetishist.
A recent find for me but I'm glad it stirred up some nostalgia.

11) Gruff, Springsteen-style songcraft with regretful vocals over gently plucking acoustic guitar. Guitars are actually beautifully-played. Not really my thing, again, but I can appreciate this.
Matthew Stephen Ward, better known as M Ward, and "Theres A Key" from his latest, A Homeland Companion.

12) Acoustic guitar instrumental that washed straight over me. Sorry, this kind of thing does nothing for me.
Flash acoustic guitar playing in a folky-blues vein. I tend to wet my pants :D. Leo Kottke and "Ojo"

13) Unbelievably twee songcraft, with wide-eyed female vocals over lilting guitars and flutes. I think I'm way too cynical to enjoy music like this. The word 'meadow' turns up a couple of times in the lyric, which tells you all you need to know - I'm getting visions of Nick prancing about with his butterfly net. Sorry.
I wanted some good old-fashioned 60s folky hippie stuff at this point so I reached for the Queen of Twee herself, Vashti Bunyan. Now I'm usually pulling that same face as your good self Andrew at the start of one her tracks but I'm afraid I'm off with the butterfly net by the end. "Rainbow River" from her classic (and I'm afraid it is) 1970 album Just Another Diamond Day. Lovely Robert Kirby arrangement.

14) More folky stuff. Again, I struggle to take the absurdly mannered vocals seriously, but the ambient backdrop is actually fascinating. Can I have an instrumental remix, please?
"Reed Sodger" by one Clive Powell from an anthology of "dark folk", whatever that is, called John Barleycorn Reborn. Don't exactly know what "reed-sodgering" is either but I expect you get quite a lot of it around Orton Brimbles. Don't know whether the vocals are any less mannered than your average cockney rapper or Finnish symphonic metal warbler but the track admittedly outstays it's welcome.

15) This is a version of 'Stormy Weather', though I don't recognise the singer. Very traditional arrangement with a swelling orchestra, but I get the feeling this is a modern recording. My favourite version is still the mutant electro version by Fats Comet (Adrian Sherwood and Tackhead working pseudonymously in the 80s), but it's a great song, and this verison does a good job.
So glad you didn't recognise the singer. Joni Mitchell from her standards covers album "Both Sides Now". Whatever the opinion is about Joni, her voice is undeniable

16) Back to electronic beats and what sounds like a sample of the guitar line from U2's 'With Or Without You'. I liked the clean, uncluttered production here. Nice uplifting track to end the mix with.
German electronicist Ulrich Schnauss and "If You've Never Been Away". Don't know much about it. Taken from one of those excellent "The Trip" collections from a few years back. Thought it would make a nice closer.

the masked man wrote:Again, many apologies for the extreme lateness of the review. I appreciated was a disc compiled carefully with an eye to establishing a common mood. It's fair to say I enjoyed the electronic-backed selections more as a rule. I look forward to the reveal.

LISTING

1. "123 Forever" - Apparat Organ Quartet
2. "Frosch" - Mouse On Mars
3. "Silbury Sands" - Wolf People
4. "Armies Of Your Heart" - Elizaveta
5. "100 Other Lovers" - Devotchka
6. "A Fire In The Forest" - David Sylvian
7. "Stuck In The Middle" - The Mummers
8. "New Pen Pal" - Peter Hammill
9. "Finch On Saturday" - Horse Feathers
10. "You And Your Sister" - This Mortal Coil
11. "There's A Key" - M Ward
12. "Ojo" - Leo Kottke
13. "Rainbow River" - Vashti Bunyan
14. "Reed Sodger" - Clive Powell
15. "Stormy Weather" - Joni Mitchell
16. "If You've Never Been Away" - Ulrich Schnauss

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 10 Jul 2012, 01:24

*bump*
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Cosmic American Girl

Postby Cosmic American Girl » 16 Jul 2012, 03:46

Sorry this is so late. I was watching for the review and missed it. I went back the other day and found it.

Great mix of summery pysch and acid folk this month. Right up my street, so here goes.

I had just gotten done reading Electric Eden by Rob Young so it was my inspiration for this disc. The title, The Perfumed Garden, comes from John Peel's show of the same name. I had been doing a lot of exploring and reevaluating and thought it would make for an interesting disc.

1. One of my favourite UK psychers. Listening to Kaleidoscope is like being wrapped in a fuzzy blanket. Precious, twee and daft (but in a good way).

I love Kaleidoscope, too.

2. Another track that's just about perfect; Fairport Convention's Tale In Hard Time. Wonderful harmonies, some of Thompson's best licks, and that delicate harpsichord. I'd forgotten how good this track is, so thanks for that.

3. This starts off like something out of David Lynch film before quickly turning into something more in-keeping with the mood. I love the organ. Vocals aren't great, but the rest of it is strong enough that it doesn't really matter.

It is such an awesomely weird song. It sort of border on prog but not "that" close. It's Andwella's Dream. The song is Clockwork Man from the album Love And Poerty.

4. Folky noodling. Perfect for the summer evening sunshine (if I ever get to experience such a thing). Doesn't outstay its welcome.

This one is Bert Jansch with M'Lady Nancy. You are right about the mood it sets.

5. More sublime harmonies, this time from the Moby Grape boys. Warm and thoroughly lovely.

One of my favorite songs...ever!

6. Fiddling fun. I like this a lot, although it reminds of something that I can't quite put my finger on, which is mildly bothersome. Regardless, is terrifically jaunty.

This is Dave Swarbrick. He was such an important figure in the British folk revival that he needed to be included on the disc.

7. Donovan - Colours. Perhaps a little too wet and hippyish for me, but it's charming enough in its own way and I dig the intro.

8. Pleasantly restrained folky chanteuse. I quite like the playful woodwind action. Nice production too, the whole thing feels like it would shatter in to a thousand pieces if you tried to pick it up.

This is one of those that I decided to dust off and I'm glad I did. After reading more about her I was drawn to listening and am hearing this song through completely different ears than in the past. It is Vashti Bunyan with the beautiful Rose Hip November.

9. Sitar time. The instrument seems slightly at odds with the subject matter but it actually works quite well.

The amazing John Renbourn's Buffalo Skinners from Faro Annie. I like the incompatibility of the music and lyrics. Quite interesting.

10. Trippy cosmic nonsense. An interesting artifact from its time but I had to skip it after the first few times.

This was the zany Zodiac Cosmic Sounds' song Virgo.

11. More quick fingers and some killer percussion work. The ghostly vocals add an extra splash of acidy goodness.

I had heard "of'" Davey Graham but never heard his music. I had come across his name a few times in recent months and decided it was time to check him out. What a great guitar player! i am just amazed at nearly everything I hear.

12. A country-tinged version of Nilsson's She Sang Hymns Out Of Tune. I think that I prefer this to Harry's. Crackin' vocals (that I will kick myself for not recognising) and a tidy arrangement.

It's The Dillards and what a great version it is.

13. I found this to be a little one-paced and earnest at first but it's grown on me a bit. Not a favourite, but it's pleasant enough. Clocking in at five minutes, it's definitely too long, though.

I had only recently heard this song for the first time after reading about Ralph Mc Tell and found it to be quite beautiful but I'll agree that it could seem a bit long on a mix club disc where I usually try to keep the songs shorter.

14. This is more good stuff. I love little touches toward the end. This has to be Marc Bolan, surely? I don't think that I've heard it before, though. I really should pay more attention to T-Rex.

This is indeed Marc Bolan from the Tyrannosaurus Rex days.

15. I love the sleepy sitars but I did struggle a bit with the whiny, out of tune vocals.

The song is Nightfall from The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter. This was definitely one of those albums that upon listening to many years ago I filed away under annoying. I now have a much greater appreciation for The Incredible String Band and this album in particular.

There you have it then, an absolute cracker. One of my favourite discs. It flows really well and the whole thing is just so relentlessly warm. The artwork was jolly lovely too.

Thanks again.

I'm really glad you liked it. I tried to make you a disc of things that you maybe weren't overly familiar with and I've been having fun delving into much of this music and hope it opens a few avenues of exploration for you as well.

1) Dive Into Yesterday-Kaleidoscope
2) Tale In Hard Time- Fairport Convention
3) Clockwork Man-Andwella's Dream
4) M'Lady Nancy-Bert Jansch
5) 8:05-Moby Grape
6) The Cuckoo's Nest-Dave Swarbrick
7) Colours-Donovan
8) Rose Hip November-Vashti Bunyan
9) Buffalo Skinners-John Renbourn
10) Virgo-Zodiac Cosmic Sounds
11) Maajun (a taste of Tangier)-Davey Graham
12) She Sang Hymns Out Of Tune-The Dillards
13) Factory Girl-Ralph Mc Tell
14) By The Light Of A Magical Moon-Tyrannosaurus Rex
15) Nightfall-The Incredible String Band

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 03 Aug 2012, 15:34

*Bump bump*
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Cosmic American Girl

Postby Cosmic American Girl » 20 Aug 2012, 20:27

This was a very interesting disc. It's the first all instrumental one I've ever gotten. Quite pleasing and challenging to review.

1) Starts off with one that I'll guess is Ennio Morricone, maybe from The Good, The Bad and the Ugly?

2) Totally different swing. I'm sure I should know this one but it escapes me.

3) Now we get some funky sounds. Love this one! Has a Curtis vibe. but again no clue if I'm even close.

4) Keeping with the vibe of the previous song. Maybe TOP?

5) Awesome short piece. Too short. The type of thing that inspired The Cramps.

6) Stars out pretty easy going and develops into a Jimmy Smith type freak out of awesomeness.

7) Ain't No Sunshine. I have 17 versions of this song on i-tunes and none of them are this one. Love that drum solo! Another one to add to the collection. (I kind of like this song if you can't tell)

8) Definitely one of my favorites on the disc. Sounds like Martin Denny, only hipper and weirder.

9) Nice but it didn't grab me like some of the others.

10) Yeah, back to it. This track is smokin'! It sound vaguely familiar.

11) Sounds like it's from a soundtrack when something triumphant happens to the main character. Inspiring.

12) A live track. Maybe Billy Preston?

13) Quite lively! Interesting change into a song with vocals.

14) Easin' In the only one I'm sure of on this whole disc! *insert required Edwin Starr joke*

15) Lastly a long one but a good closer.

Overall a very enjoyable disc. I've played it several times especially as a good back drop when reading or just hanging out. Thanks and sorry for the terribly late review.

Tapiocahead

Postby Tapiocahead » 30 Aug 2012, 12:35

ooh! that was me.. I'll sort a reveal shortly
Fishstick selling fuck

Tapiocahead

Postby Tapiocahead » 10 Sep 2012, 21:57

Cosmic American Girl wrote:This was a very interesting disc. It's the first all instrumental one I've ever gotten. Quite pleasing and challenging to review.

1) Starts off with one that I'll guess is Ennio Morricone, maybe from The Good, The Bad and the Ugly?

Sort of.. it's Quincy Jones, it's called Overture and it's from an early 70s wester called Mackenna's gold (I've not seen it)

2) Totally different swing. I'm sure I should know this one but it escapes me.

Summertime Killer by Luis Balacov, I like it so much I put it on my July mix

3) Now we get some funky sounds. Love this one! Has a Curtis vibe. but again no clue if I'm even close.

A French band, that was based in New York. The Lafayette Afro Rock Band. The song is Hihache

4) Keeping with the vibe of the previous song. Maybe TOP?

Kool & The Gang! N.T (Parts 1&2)

5) Awesome short piece. Too short. The type of thing that inspired The Cramps.

Another one that ended up on July's. It's called Italian Fuzz and it's by Burt Bacharach

6) Stars out pretty easy going and develops into a Jimmy Smith type freak out of awesomeness.

Mystic Brew by Ronnie Foster

7) Ain't No Sunshine. I have 17 versions of this song on i-tunes and none of them are this one. Love that drum solo! Another one to add to the collection. (I kind of like this song if you can't tell)

You can't go wrong with it! This one is by The Harlem Underground Band
8) Definitely one of my favorites on the disc. Sounds like Martin Denny, only hipper and weirder.

Soul Vibrations by Dorothy Ashby from Chicago (I think)

9) Nice but it didn't grab me like some of the others.

Sometimes I Cry by Les McCann

10) Yeah, back to it. This track is smokin'! It sound vaguely familiar.

Another Bill Withers covers - Who is he and What Is He To You by Creative Source

11) Sounds like it's from a soundtrack when something triumphant happens to the main character. Inspiring.

Ike's Mood by Isaac Hayes, much sampled

12) A live track. Maybe Billy Preston?

Gettin' Nasty by Ike Turner & His Kings Of Rhythm

13) Quite lively! Interesting change into a song with vocals.

The only modern track on the mix, they're an Ethiopan/US band called Debo Band and this song is Asha Gedawo

14) Easin' In the only one I'm sure of on this whole disc! *insert required Edwin Starr joke*

I have recently grown a wee bit mental for this track

15) Lastly a long one but a good closer.

Dove by British band Cymande

Overall a very enjoyable disc. I've played it several times especially as a good back drop when reading or just hanging out. Thanks and sorry for the terribly late review.

No worries about the late review, I'm just happy you enjoyed it. I must have been feeling very funky in May!

Tracklist in full...

Overture Quincy Jones
The Summertime Killer Luis Bacalov
Hihache Lafayette Afro Rock Band
N.T. (Parts 1 & 2) Kool & the Gang
Italian fuzz Burt Bacharach
Mystic Brew Ronnie Foster
Ain't No Sunshine Harlem Underground Band
Soul Vibrations Dorothy Ashby
Sometimes I Cry Les McCann
Who Is He And What Is He To You? Creative Source
Ike's Mood Isaac Hayes