October Mix Club Reviews

Exchange mix CDs with each other.
whodathunkit

October Mix Club Reviews

Postby whodathunkit » 27 Oct 2011, 18:14

Looks like I'm first off. From New Zealand this month. No reggae. Do the maths.

1. An easy one to start with thinks I. The Captain and "Electricity". Except it isn't. This is either an excellent if rather slavish cover or an out-take when Don had gone for a piss. I'm confused :shock:
2. Now a song that desperately needs a decent cover - "Something On Your Mind" by Karen Dalton. Sorry, I like some pretty wierd voices but she's way beyond my radar. Which is a shame because this is such a good song.
3. Jazzy-proggy instrumental, all muted guitar and vibraphone. Starts off dull but ends up beguiling.
4. Terrific country blues track with some shit-hot picking. Need to know who this is. Want some more.
5. A slow languorous soul lament.' Philly-type strings, harp glissandi and raunchy wah-wah. Not the strongest of songs but the arrangement carries it through.
6. Long episodic acoustic guitar instrumental. It has that "timeless" John Fahey feel to it . Easily a mix standout.
7. 60s/70s troubador stuff in the Tim Buckley/TomRapp area. A little fey but well within the boundaries of twee. Lovely arrangement. Nice, in the nicest sense.
8. Obviously African, almost tribal piece. This one really sucks you in.Terrific groove.
9. Nice version of "The L&N Dont Stop Here Anymore". In fact, a great version.
10. Time for something rockier. A strange moody little number with Jagger-esque vocal over a heavy melancholic backing and chanted chorus. Haven't really got into this.
11. Sort of jazz-rock late Soft Machine-type noodling. Some very fine musicians with not much to say. Not my thing I'm afraid.
12. "You're Painted On". Female slacker vocals whining over some very loose playing. I like this more than I ought to. It sticks to you.
13. A terrific jazz instrumental which seems to have been specially designed for my short jazz attention span. Lots of changes and a constant flow of fresh ideas. The insistent drive of the piece makes me think Mingus. Whoever I love it
14. Another highlight. A big classy dramatic rock song which builds beautifully. I usually run a mile from the anthemic but this is so well done.
15. My mixer ends his mix with a Bert Jansch track, as all mixers of taste should have done this month ( ;) ). "I Have No Time" from the debut album. RIP Bert.

Cheers mag mystery mixer. When this was good it was really good. Looking forward to the reveal if only to solve the problem of track 1.

dgs

Re: October Mix Club Reviews

Postby dgs » 28 Oct 2011, 21:11

Old skool disc for me this month of classic Idm/electronica and electropop.

Hits the spot from the start, and the vibe continues from start to finish……

1. We start with a lovely slice of electropop, female vocals, or more a spoken rant, actually she is starting to sound like a female paul Morley! I should know this one but alas it passes me by. It would fit in very well on the Disco not Disco comp.
2. This is great still electropop but verging on IDM ca 1990, vocoder vox would suggest to me it’s more modern. The bass on this is relentless and carry’s the track through, with lots of low frequency stabs in the mix.
3. The ace of spades, Autechre – crystel, taken from the magnificent and seminal, Artificial Intelligence comp released on WARP. This was one of those albums that opened my mind to IDM and all things electronica.
4. I am sure I have this one, is it a deep forest remix, or has heavily sampled a deep forest track and buried it into the mix. It has a very boy’s own feel to it. Great stuff kind of has Weatherall written all over it, but I know it’s not one of his.
5. This is another one that has a massive AI vibe to it, in fact it would have almost fitted perfectly onto that comp but it has a wee bit to much of a synth line through it that edges it away. At times it reminds me of New Order ca 1989 crossed with AI.
6. Wow, complete change of gears and we are all jazz piano, double bass and smoky female vocals. Late night tales stuff this one. No idea as to who it is but enjoying it very much.
7. And we are keeping the late night tales vibe with a chilled out track, divine French vocals. Be interested to know who this is.
8. Longest rack on the mix clocking in at 11 mins. Slow builder starting with drums and huge sub bass. A strange mix this of what sounds like distorted slide in the background, providing a melody, with other fx building in and around it providing a hypnotic collage of sound, which builds, almost implodes and then clears to finish. Great stuff.
9. This reminds me so much of Jon Hopkins, is it a Hoppo remix? Sounds massively like it but the piano is wrong. Great track though, love the clash between the fx and electronics and the fractured tune that lies below. Is that a U2 sample at around 4 mins?
10. Short piece taken from a movie orchestral and I know this but……can’t place it.
11. And we finish with big beats to start and into a grubby synth bass line that I know, Depeche Mode, I think. This is a cover or a remix of the original, which I should know.

Great mix again this month, lots of electronica and electrpop. Cheers mixmaster.
I'm a panic depressive and suffer from manic attacks. :(

Magilla
Otago Mago

Postby Magilla » 29 Oct 2011, 04:35

whodathunkit wrote:Looks like I'm first off. From New Zealand this month. No reggae. Do the maths.

Surprise, surprise, it was from me. Glad you generally liked it, Whodathunkit.

1. An easy one to start with thinks I. The Captain and "Electricity". Except it isn't. This is either an excellent if rather slavish cover or an out-take when Don had gone for a piss. I'm confused :shock:

Sonic Youth covering 'Electricity' for the late '80s tribute album Fast 'N' Bulbous, now also available on the Daydream Nation deluxe edition. I'd noticed you're fairly keen on the late, great Mr Van Vliet and figured you'd just like to hear this.

2. Now a song that desperately needs a decent cover - "Something On Your Mind" by Karen Dalton. Sorry, I like some pretty wierd voices but she's way beyond my radar. Which is a shame because this is such a good song.

Yep, Karen Dalton.

3. Jazzy-proggy instrumental, all muted guitar and vibraphone. Starts off dull but ends up beguiling.

US post-rock leaders Tortoise with 'The Suspension Bridge At Iguazu Falls' from TNT, which is their most jazzish album.

4. Terrific country blues track with some shit-hot picking. Need to know who this is. Want some more.

And you can find more by tracking down some Bill Broonzy. This is 'How You Want It Done' on The Young Bill Broonzy 1928 - 1935.

5. A slow languorous soul lament.' Philly-type strings, harp glissandi and raunchy wah-wah. Not the strongest of songs but the arrangement carries it through.

The Meters with 'Trip' from Meters Jam, a comp of some of their '70s stuff.

6. Long episodic acoustic guitar instrumental. It has that "timeless" John Fahey feel to it . Easily a mix standout.

Robbie Basho with 'Street Dakini' from Guitar Soli, a comp of tracks from his records for Fahey's Takoma label. It's a puzzle why he's not as much of a cult figure as Fahey or Leo Kottke.

7. 60s/70s troubador stuff in the Tim Buckley/TomRapp area. A little fey but well within the boundaries of twee. Lovely arrangement. Nice, in the nicest sense.

Yep, Tom Rapp's band Pearls before Swine with 'Man In The Tree' from These Things Too.

8. Obviously African, almost tribal piece. This one really sucks you in.Terrific groove.

One of the best bands to have emerged in recent years in music in general, Congolese outfit Konono #1 with Masikulu' from Congotronics. Great band.

9. Nice version of "The L&N Dont Stop Here Anymore". In fact, a great version.

Well, you'd expect June Carter Cash to come up with the goods, wouldn't ya ?

10. Time for something rockier. A strange moody little number with Jagger-esque vocal over a heavy melancholic backing and chanted chorus. Haven't really got into this.

Wire with '40 Versions' from their 1979 album 154.

11. Sort of jazz-rock late Soft Machine-type noodling. Some very fine musicians with not much to say. Not my thing I'm afraid.

Oh well, no worries, I knew I was taking a punt with this. The Softs' comparision is appropriate, as this is Robert Wyatt's other band, Matching Mole, with 'Nan's True Hole' from Little Red Record.

12. "You're Painted On". Female slacker vocals whining over some very loose playing. I like this more than I ought to. It sticks to you.

English singer-songwriter Holly Golightly with 'Painted On' from, er, Painted On.

13. A terrific jazz instrumental which seems to have been specially designed for my short jazz attention span. Lots of changes and a constant flow of fresh ideas. The insistent drive of the piece makes me think Mingus. Whoever I love it.

Yep, the great Mingus with 'Wednesday Night Prayer Meeting' from Blues & Roots. I've only recently discovered Mingus myself and just wanted to spread some of his fine music around.

14. Another highlight. A big classy dramatic rock song which builds beautifully. I usually run a mile from the anthemic but this is so well done.

I took a punt with this one too and looks like it paid off. This is the majestic '80s Australian band The Triffids with 'Stolen Propeerty' from their classic Born Sandy Devotional. If you want more of the same I heartily endorse this album and the band in general.

15. My mixer ends his mix with a Bert Jansch track, as all mixers of taste should have done this month ( ). "I Have No Time" from the debut album. RIP Bert.

Listen to Whodathunkit at this point.

Cheers mag mystery mixer. When this was good it was really good. Looking forward to the reveal if only to solve the problem of track 1.

My pleasure. Glad you liked most of it. Feel free to ask any questions or to *cough* for anything.

TRACKLISTING:

01) Sonic Youth - Electricity, 2.46.
02) Karen Dalton - Something On Your Mind, 3.23.
03) Tortoise - The Suspension Bridge At Iguaza Falls, 5.38.
04) Bill Broonzy - How You Want It, 2.52.
05) Meters - trip, 5.23.
06) Robbie Basho - Street Dakini, 6.28.
07) Pearls Before Swine - Man In The Tree, 3.25.
08) Konono #1 - Masikulu, 8.01.
09) June Carter Cash - The L & N Don't Stop Here No More, 3.27.
10) Wire - 40 Versions, 3.27.
11) Matching Mole - Nan's True Hole, 3.37.
12) Holly Golightly - Painted On, 4.31.
13) Charles Mingus - Wednesday Night Prayer Meeting, 5.39.
14) Triffids - Stolen Property, 6.47.
15) Bert Jansch - I Have No Time, 3.09.
"U2 routinely spent a year in the studio...I have a theory: if you put four monkeys in the studio for a year with Lanois and Eno and Lillywhite, they would make a pretty good record, too."

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 01 Nov 2011, 16:51

A collection of white chaps with guitars and pianos for me this month. Let’s go.

1. This is a lovely way to open. It’s been really bugging me who’s singing. I know him from somewhere, I’m sure. Somewhere like the late 80s/early 90s. Anyway, this is obviously a more recent effort and it’s gorgeous. I’d like to buy the record this is from.
2. This is one of those American indie bands, isn’t it? Groups that chicks in doctor martin boots used to dig when I was 18. File under satisfactory, I guess, but I never quite understand why people rave about this sort of thing. Too much of a Byrds influence, I guess. Reminds me of the theme tune to Friends. Different strokes, and all that…
3. Most pleasantness without really moving me. It’s kitchen-sink-and-all singer-songwriter fayre. More piano? Perhaps some strings? And maybe some more strings? How about an extra layer of piano? Etc. It’s fine – quite nice – but it’s never going to start an earthquake.
4. Is this the Lightning Seeds? Someone like that anyway. A survivor of a previous age, I’d wager anyway. All a bit knowing really for me, indie-pop celebrating indie-pop. Sorry, but this is pretty nasty to my ears.
5. Ah yes, the glorious Kingsbury Manx. Big fan of these chaps, and a fine choice from their debut album. Good stuff.
6. Hmm, another one I’m not so enamoured by, I’m afraid. It doesn’t seem to hold together very well really, is the main beef I have here. It sounds like they’ve all concentrated on their own parts, you know?
7. Field Music? Clever sort of indie-thing. I like this, sort of, but couldn’t listen to a whole album of it. Like yer man Ben Folds. Just a little bit tidy for me. But quite enjoyable nonetheless.
8. This one grew on me with a few plays. At first I found it a bit worthy, but it’s really rather touching, isn’t it? Nice voice too, very believable.
9. This reminds me of a French band I like called Calc, but not really in a good way. It’s all just a bit derivative without injecting any fresh soul. I think it sounds like it’s been badly produced, ultimately, and that the song is being eaten by the arrangement.
10. This is all a bit bizarre. Seems to change into a different song every 16 bars. It makes my head giggle. I can’t take it seriously really. Sorry. The nice bits remind me a little of Salako, but the bad bits remind me of a doctor’s waiting room at Christmas.
11. This one’s horrible. Sorry, but it really is. Power-pop or something. I don’t know what you’d call it. Sounds like REO Speedwagon or something. Urgh.
12. That’s better. This is yer man Brave Captain, from the thingy sessions. Something to do with paint, wasn’t it? Anyway, nice choice. I saw him a couple of summers ago and was a little disappointed, but the recordings I’ve heard have all been fine. Like this.
13. This sounds like the sort of record usually reserved for local bbc radio drivetime. I don’t like it at all. I don’t see what there is to like, really. Sorry. Again.
14. More big production, I’m afraid to hear. I’d like to just hear the song really, they seem to be trying to hide it. Seems a bit like something Supergrass might have done a little better. Improves after about a minute and a half when it gets ballsy. Probably could have lost the recorder solo, mind!
15. Lovely vocals on this, sounds a bit like Simon Lord of Simian, etc. Is it him, actually? There’s a few bits that sounds like him. I like this one, it’s got something intriguing about it.

Lots of indie, lots of production, essentially. Not a huge amount that met my tastes, I’m afraid to say, it’s quite a lot of stuff within a pretty narrow field and it just didn’t happen to be one I like much. But thanks all the same, and I’m definitely going to get at least one album off the back of it, so I hope you don’t mind that I didn’t like a ll of it.

John_K
driven by lists

Postby John_K » 04 Nov 2011, 18:32

bhoywonder wrote:A collection of white chaps with guitars and pianos for me this month.

Dear God no...

:lol:

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 04 Nov 2011, 19:28

bhoywonder wrote:A collection of white chaps with guitars and pianos for me this month. Let’s go.

I knew I should have gone with the psych mix....

1. This is a lovely way to open. It’s been really bugging me who’s singing. I know him from somewhere, I’m sure. Somewhere like the late 80s/early 90s. Anyway, this is obviously a more recent effort and it’s gorgeous. I’d like to buy the record this is from.

This is East River Pipe with Shiny Shiny Pipmobile. Interestingly enough I know nothing about them and that comment prompted me to check his wiki entry. Nope nothing to connect him to anyone I would know. This is late 90's actually and is a find from an old UNCUT CD.

2. This is one of those American indie bands, isn’t it? Groups that chicks in doctor martin boots used to dig when I was 18. File under satisfactory, I guess, but I never quite understand why people rave about this sort of thing. Too much of a Byrds influence, I guess. Reminds me of the theme tune to Friends.

Cotton Mather with My Before And After off Kontiki. To be fair you're right in your assessment though I can't for the life of me see the similarities with the tune from Friends.

3. Most pleasantness without really moving me. It’s kitchen-sink-and-all singer-songwriter fayre. More piano? Perhaps some strings? And maybe some more strings? How about an extra layer of piano? Etc. It’s fine – quite nice – but it’s never going to start an earthquake.

That is Shack with Carousel. erm it's just a good song I reckon, can't see why it has to start an earthquake.

4. Is this the Lightning Seeds? Someone like that anyway. A survivor of a previous age, I’d wager anyway. All a bit knowing really for me, indie-pop celebrating indie-pop. Sorry, but this is pretty nasty to my ears.

Shit, this is the song that this entire mix was based on. That's Spearmint with Scottish Pop from the late 90's. They did pass me by, but I've been rediscovering stuff from that era due to my throwing away all those MOJO/UNCUT CD's that I've gathered over the years and this was one of the most pleasant surprises.

5. Ah yes, the glorious Kingsbury Manx. Big fan of these chaps, and a fine choice from their debut album. Good stuff.

Indeed. This is a similar case as above. Well all the songs in this mix are.

6. Hmm, another one I’m not so enamoured by, I’m afraid. It doesn’t seem to hold together very well really, is the main beef I have here. It sounds like they’ve all concentrated on their own parts, you know?

Big Star with Hung Up In The Summer from their comeback album of 6 years ago. I didn't bother then but have since come around. It's nothing like their 3 first but there are some strong tunes still.

7. Field Music? Clever sort of indie-thing. I like this, sort of, but couldn’t listen to a whole album of it. Like yer man Ben Folds. Just a little bit tidy for me. But quite enjoyable nonetheless.

Field Music with A House Is Not A Home. I can't disagree with what you say. I suppose most of the modern indie bands are OK for a tune or two but have no staying power, depends how much one likes that kind of music.

8. This one grew on me with a few plays. At first I found it a bit worthy, but it’s really rather touching, isn’t it? Nice voice too, very believable.

That's a bit older than the rest. It's This Mortal Coil with You & Your Sister. I think it's the voice that makes this song, although the tune is rather nice in itself, it's very affecting.

9. This reminds me of a French band I like called Calc, but not really in a good way. It’s all just a bit derivative without injecting any fresh soul. I think it sounds like it’s been badly produced, ultimately, and that the song is being eaten by the arrangement.

This is Howie Beck with Baby Plays Around On Me. Yes it is derivative though I've no idea who Calc are. I was thinking more in the Byrds/Big Star type. And I disagree about the arrangement, I find it quite wonderful to be honest.

10. This is all a bit bizarre. Seems to change into a different song every 16 bars. It makes my head giggle. I can’t take it seriously really. Sorry. The nice bits remind me a little of Salako, but the bad bits remind me of a doctor’s waiting room at Christmas.

this is Beulah with A Good Man Is Easy To Kill. a doctor's waiting room at Christman :lol: :lol:

11. This one’s horrible. Sorry, but it really is. Power-pop or something. I don’t know what you’d call it. Sounds like REO Speedwagon or something. Urgh.

I really do hope that does not sound a bit like REO Speedwagon. This is Dwight Twilley who is a bit of a hero of mine and yes it is power-pop. The song is Chance Of A Lifetime from 2004 or something.

12. That’s better. This is yer man Brave Captain, from the thingy sessions. Something to do with paint, wasn’t it? Anyway, nice choice. I saw him a couple of summers ago and was a little disappointed, but the recordings I’ve heard have all been fine. Like this.

Of all the songs I put on this mix that's the last I expected you to know. It is indeed wonderful and though it was on a Byrds tribute CD I can't see much connection myself.

13. This sounds like the sort of record usually reserved for local bbc radio drivetime. I don’t like it at all. I don’t see what there is to like, really. Sorry. Again.

I've no idea what's on BBC radio to be honest, though I suspect I'm going to find out soon enough. This is Matthew Sweet with Future Shock.

14. More big production, I’m afraid to hear. I’d like to just hear the song really, they seem to be trying to hide it. Seems a bit like something Supergrass might have done a little better. Improves after about a minute and a half when it gets ballsy. Probably could have lost the recorder solo, mind!

Wondermints with Amaldo Said. Interesting comment about Supergrass. I did not think of it and you're probably right.

15. Lovely vocals on this, sounds a bit like Simon Lord of Simian, etc. Is it him, actually? There’s a few bits that sounds like him. I like this one, it’s got something intriguing about it.

This is Ashley Park with Summer's End. I had to google both band and song name to confirm it's a real band. Turns out they're from Vancouver and not done that much.

Lots of indie, lots of production, essentially. Not a huge amount that met my tastes, I’m afraid to say, it’s quite a lot of stuff within a pretty narrow field and it just didn’t happen to be one I like much. But thanks all the same, and I’m definitely going to get at least one album off the back of it, so I hope you don’t mind that I didn’t like a ll of it.

Well too bad it didn't work out, as I honestly thought it was probably the best one I made thus far, and had enormous fun compiling it, but it was bound to happen at some point. I'm still bummed you didn't like Dwight Twilley though :D
Full tracklist is:

1. Shiny Shiny Pipmobile - East River Pipe
2. My Before And After - Cotton Mather
3. Carousel - Shack
4. Scottish Pop - Spearmint
5. Regular Hands - Kingsbury Manx
6. hung Up With Summer - Big Star
7. A House Is Not a Home - Field Music
8. You & Your Sister - This Mortal Coil
9. Baby Plays Around On Me - Howie Beck
10. A Good Man Is Easy To Kill - Beluah
11. Chance Of a Lifetime - Dwight Twilley
12. Tell Her You Want Her - Brave Captain
13. Future shock - Matthew Sweet
14. Amaldo Said - Wondermints
15. Summer's End - Ashley Park
I run out of talent

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 06 Nov 2011, 01:34

This months disc was a great Halloween themed disc all the way from NZ (wrapped in some familiar packaging! :D ). Had a ball listening to this - the perfect disc for a Halloween party, and will be keeping this one on file. Great great fun, and keeps the spooky mood just right !

1. Fantastic start with the appropriate rain and chiming bell, thunder and lightening that breaks into a slow metal crawl that speeds into a frenzied guitar solo at the end.

2. Spooky organ track punctuated with siren sounds, another metal track by who I havent a clue

3. The Electric Prunes with I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night - great track

4. Roxy Music and their Midnight Hour cover from Flesh and Blood I think?

5. The Who - Disguises - love this song.

6. Nice sixties type number " Im so evil little darling .." no idea who this is tho.

7. Another sixties track that I know but cant place the name of, love it. Very annoying that I cant place this.

8. The Beach Boys and Dennis with the infamous Manson re write " Never Learn Not To Love". Despite its creepy connection its a beautiful song, one my Dennis faves.

9. A Doo Wop type fifties track about aliens - great stuff.

10 . Another similar to the last track - a Zombie Doo Wop. Great stuff.

11. The Zombies get super funky. Do the Zombie !

12. A laid back groovy slow jam - very nice.

13. Spooky ! In keeping with the previous groove, not sure who is doing this version.

14. Riders of the Storm - The Doors - Love this track, always suitably creepy.

15. The Coop and I Love the Dead - awesome stuff

16. Nice spooky bells to end with.

Thanks again to my kiwi compiler - really great fun disc and just the perfect thing for playing Halloween night.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 06 Nov 2011, 08:57

Disc this month from DGS. And very enjoayble too. I followed the instructions and played the "mixed" version first which I have to say, hearing it as one long track, did add a new dimension to proceedings. Anyway on with the review...

1) Lovely subdued instrumental intro with rain sounds gives way to a great little song with understated vocals. Rather captivating. We’re off to a good start
2) That electric piano/fender Rhodes sound can infuriate at times, but sounds just right here. Some cracking playing on the intro. I was initially disappointed when the vocals started and I found out this was a cover of Ain’t No Sunshine, but it proved to be a pretty good version.
3) You’ve found one of my blind spots here alas. Never could stand Japan. The plinkety-plonkness of it doesn’t help but I think my main issue is the vocals. Oh well.
4) A simple pop song slowed down and delivered deadpan style. Reminds me of the Magnetic Fields a bit. Nice.
5) Well this one treads a fine line. He sounds positively unhinged. It’s but a hop and a skip from here to laughably over-emoting, but this manages to stay the right side of the line
6) “one year tomorrow since I cut Billy down” Well this has all the big themes – murder, religion. Can’t capture the resonance of the similar Cash American recordings, but a voice definitely suited still to this material and worked pretty well.
7) Didn’t hate this but didn’t do a lot for me. Both male and female vocalists managed to annoy me in different ways. He tries to sound super intense by sounding like he’s just got out of bed and she gives it the full Donna Summer “toothache”. Next.
8) And right on cue the Big O rides in to the rescue. Often something over familiar will crop on a mix and you nod approvingly, but then again as with this, it stops you in your tracks and make you wonder why you haven’t played it recently. Not just good, not just great. This is from the absolute top tier.
9) It appears to be I Know You Rider, although it’s a fairly free form jazzy folky version. The sort of thing Terry Callier and Richie Havens do. Like this up to a point but goes on a bit without really going anywhere.
10) Well this has to be Bjork. I still can’t decide. I like some I’ve heard, but I still hear her sometimes and she sounds like a wailing harpy. This is great however.
11) Spooky and I assume that this is the Dusty version. I like it but I prefer full blown pop ballad Dusty.
12) Starts off with great chiming guitars like the Skids but then suddenly subdues into a wonderful passage at around 20 seconds. The song itself seems to want to be a pop song but calling on darker influences. Like it.
13) Mike Nesmith and Different Drum. Terrific of course, although I did start to wonder if my mind was playing tricks as I don’t remember the song being quite so “yee-haw” for want of a better term. Are there two versions ? Not complaining mind. I’m “country” enough to handle a good dose of “yee-haw” :D
14) I’m a sucker for big dense arrangements like this. Like this one a lot.
15) Saving the best for last. Sounds very 4AD. Ambient opening that builds and builds, giving way to Cocteaus like textures. Majestic.

Thanks Dave and sorry for the delay.
We're way past rhubarb

Duncan

Postby Duncan » 06 Nov 2011, 19:10

dgs wrote:Old skool disc for me this month of classic Idm/electronica and electropop.

Hits the spot from the start, and the vibe continues from start to finish……

Sorry, somehow missed this review. Anyway, this was mine, here's the low-down:

dgs wrote:1. We start with a lovely slice of electropop, female vocals, or more a spoken rant, actually she is starting to sound like a female paul Morley! I should know this one but alas it passes me by. It would fit in very well on the Disco not Disco comp.

Anne Clark - Our Darkness. Angry 80s electro greatness.

dgs wrote:2. This is great still electropop but verging on IDM ca 1990, vocoder vox would suggest to me it’s more modern. The bass on this is relentless and carry’s the track through, with lots of low frequency stabs in the mix.

Cornershop - Easy Winners. From 1997 (if iTunes is to be believed). This one caught my attention simply because it's not what I expected.

dgs wrote:3. The ace of spades, Autechre – crystel, taken from the magnificent and seminal, Artificial Intelligence comp released on WARP. This was one of those albums that opened my mind to IDM and all things electronica.

Autechre - Crystel. Despite being a big Warper since the mid-90s I've only just gotten around to picking up the AI comp.

dgs wrote:4. I am sure I have this one, is it a deep forest remix, or has heavily sampled a deep forest track and buried it into the mix. It has a very boy’s own feel to it. Great stuff kind of has Weatherall written all over it, but I know it’s not one of his.

Hexstatic ft Organic Audio - Salvador. The Coldcut chaps, from the 2004 album Master View

dgs wrote:5. This is another one that has a massive AI vibe to it, in fact it would have almost fitted perfectly onto that comp but it has a wee bit to much of a synth line through it that edges it away. At times it reminds me of New Order ca 1989 crossed with AI.

Model 500 - Off To Battle. The legendary Juan Atkins. Definitely a big influence on early Warp/IDM (because I pulled it from a Warp comp called Influences)

dgs wrote:6. Wow, complete change of gears and we are all jazz piano, double bass and smoky female vocals. Late night tales stuff this one. No idea as to who it is but enjoying it very much.

Handsome Boy Modeling School - The Truth. The smokey female vocals are supplied by Roisin Murphy (ex Moloko lass).

dgs wrote:7. And we are keeping the late night tales vibe with a chilled out track, divine French vocals. Be interested to know who this is.

Thievery Corporation - Un Simple Histoire. I like the unusual mix of Eastern sitar noodling, Brazilian ryhthms and French sexiness.

dgs wrote:8. Longest rack on the mix clocking in at 11 mins. Slow builder starting with drums and huge sub bass. A strange mix this of what sounds like distorted slide in the background, providing a melody, with other building in and around it providing a hypnotic collage of sound, which builds, almost implodes and then clears to finish. Great stuff.

Polmo Polpo - Requiem For A Fox. An incredible live experience. He records various instruments then synthisizes them, producing dark, weird, ambient collages.
I was slightly wary that this might slow things down a bit too much and I came close to pulling it at the last minute, so I'm particularly pleased that it hit the right spot.

dgs wrote:9. This reminds me so much of Jon Hopkins, is it a Hoppo remix? Sounds massively like it but the piano is wrong. Great track though, love the clash between the fx and electronics and the fractured tune that lies below. Is that a U2 sample at around 4 mins?

Ammon Contact - BBQ Plate (Last Supper Mix by Telefon Tel Aviv). I hadn't noticed the U2 sample befoe, but now hat you mention it...

dgs wrote:10. Short piece taken from a movie orchestral and I know this but……can’t place it.

Francois de Roubaix - Dernier Domicil Inconnu. Obviously soundtracky, but I have no idea where it was used. I found this on a mix put together by Laurent Garnier.

dgs wrote:11. And we finish with big beats to start and into a grubby synth bass line that I know, Depeche Mode, I think. This is a cover or a remix of the original, which I should know.

John Carpenter - The End. More synthy soundtrack goodness. I do know where this one is from though: Assault On Precinct 13 (1983). This has been sampled a million times which is probably why it sounds familiar.

dgs wrote:Great mix again this month, lots of electronica and electrpop. Cheers mixmaster.

Thanks. I always look forward to drawing Mix Clubbers with a history of electronica appreciation, so I'm glad that you enjoyed it.
Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb...

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 07 Nov 2011, 03:56

A great lil "Halloween Special" disc this month, complete with nifty artwork!

Let's get to it....

1. Great ol' R&B burner here... all about voodoo. Love it!

2. Louis Prima and Keely Smith, with "That Old Black Magic." A classic, and for good reason!

3. A slinky little track. The lady singing has a bit of an accent. The breakdown section of just drum and bass is too short. I can dig it enough, though!

4. GREAT doo-wop sounds here! "Old Black Magic." I love the inclusion of the studio chatter before hand, which just adds to the greatness of the performance itself. It's easy to forget that all of the doo-wop harmonies were basically live takes.

5. Screamin' Jay Hawkins, with "Little Demon." A favorite in this house!

6. These guys "Play this monster rock and roll!" Fits in with the theme, but a little "meh" for me.

7. "Haunted House." A classic! Heck yeah!

8. Suicide, with "Ghost Rider." Another one that I love.

9. A bit of cod-reggae, "Welcome to the Monster Club." Fits in with the theme, but I can't say my life was exactly pining for this. :)

10. "Ghost Train." Doesn't quite grab me.

11. This is a nifty little track, "the black cat is back." Sounds fairly modern; the drums are right up front, as is a piano that sounds prepared. I can dig it.

12. Dusty! Love is kinda crazy, with a spooky little boy like you. Love it, of course!

13. "Witchy Woman." Yeah, even in a new context, the Eagles still don't do it for me. Sorry!

All in all, a diggable lil' Halloween disc. Thanks, mystery mixer!
Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.

Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

NickC

Postby NickC » 08 Nov 2011, 19:58

Here is the review to my October mix. First off, I have to say this was pretty much up my street with quite a few familiar tunes here.

1. Alvin Robinson - Down home girl. On the Redbird label and stablemate to the Shangri Las. Excellent.
2. Fleetwood Mac - Rattlesnake Shake. Peter Green at his best. This really is the only Fleetwood Mac.
3. Muddy Waters. Dont know the track, but its got that unmistakable Muddy stamp. Fine stuff.
4. I think this is Professor Longhair and I know the track is the Hadocol bounce, which I also know was a popular hair tonic. There is a few other Hadocol related boogie type songs too. Bounces along nicely.
5. This is Merle Haggard but I havnt heard this track before. Great lyric, but im not too keen with the country stuff.
6. Hank and his Ramblin' man. This really is where it all began. Still sets a shiver down my spine so it must have really blown people away when first recorded.
7. A very early 'blues' number. Could be any of the early ragtime/vaudeville guys who switched to the more saleable blues which was becoming more popular at the time...Broonzy, Lemon, Blake..etc. Still has more of a ragtime feel about it. Great finger picking.
8. The fantastic Slim Harpo. Rock n roll with a foot tapping shuffle. Yeah!
9. Hank Ballard & the Midnghters with one of the Annie songs, this one Annie had a baby. Rock n roll doo wop at its best. I love this stuff, similar to Huey Piano Smith and numerous others but all fantastic.
10. A country style rocker now. Has a very roadhouse vibe. Im not a lover of country but if it has this rockier edge im ok with it.
11. A more modern ragtime blues number now. Wonderful bit of acoustic slide. A very traditional song with a good old time sound. Great lyric about ventilating his woman.
12. I thought oh oh..another country song. But then I listened to the lyric! Brilliant tongue in cheek lyric about killing someone burying them in a box about half their size. Reminds me of a guy I listen to occasionally called Uknown Hinson.
13. This must be Savoy Brown. Like some of the others, not sure of the track but Ive heard and may have it somewhere. Good.
14. A slow (the slowest here) number. Not quite a country ballad but more like a southern Skynyrd'ish slow boogie off Second Helping. Wasnt overly keen at first but it did grow on me.
15. This is Daddy Rollin' Stone and its by Derek...? Cant remember. Fantastic one off rarity. Ive got this as a 45 somewhere.
16. Professor Longhair again and No maybes. Great piece of music that I defy anyone to sit still to. Almost has a Louis Prima flavour.

There you have it. All sit easily within my comfort zone and apart from the country style interlopers they are all the things that make up my collection. Sorry that I was too familiar with a few but its still a mix that worked well and flowed nicely.
Cheers

NickC

Postby NickC » 08 Nov 2011, 21:18

Nolamike wrote:A great lil "Halloween Special" disc this month, complete with nifty artwork!

Let's get to it....

1. Great ol' R&B burner here... all about voodoo. Love it!
The fantastic Laverne Baker and Voodoo Voodoo. She has an amazing power and really is up there with the best.

2. Louis Prima and Keely Smith, with "That Old Black Magic." A classic, and for good reason!
Yep, agreed.

3. A slinky little track. The lady singing has a bit of an accent. The breakdown section of just drum and bass is too short. I can dig it enough, though!
The accent is Dutch and the group is Shocking Blue. Probably albatros'ed with Venus, but there was so much more to them.

4. GREAT doo-wop sounds here! "Old Black Magic." I love the inclusion of the studio chatter before hand, which just adds to the greatness of the performance itself. It's easy to forget that all of the doo-wop harmonies were basically live takes.
This is the Marcels, and even if I am repeating the Louis Prima track, the two are as different as chalk and cheese.

5. Screamin' Jay Hawkins, with "Little Demon." A favorite in this house!
Couldn't have a Halloween disc without Screamin' Jay.

6. These guys "Play this monster rock and roll!" Fits in with the theme, but a little "meh" for me.
Well, I thought a little bit of physcobilly would fit the Halloween bill too. This is Zombie Ghost Train.

7. "Haunted House." A classic! Heck yeah!
One of my all time favourites, and the guy who Gene Klein from Kiss took his name from. One of the first pioneers, Jumpin' Gene Simmons.

8. Suicide, with "Ghost Rider." Another one that I love.
A bit of new wave punk Halloween to add a bit of colour.

9. A bit of cod-reggae, "Welcome to the Monster Club." Fits in with the theme, but I can't say my life was exactly pining for this. :)
Well, I was unsure wether to include this, but its from one of my favourite film soundtracks. The film is the Monster Club, and this strangely enough is The Pretty Things with the title song.

10. "Ghost Train." Doesn't quite grab me.
OK, fair comment. Again, just to broaden the spectrum this is Gorillaz with Albarn's hiphop/dub/rap style thang.

11. This is a nifty little track, "the black cat is back." Sounds fairly modern; the drums are right up front, as is a piano that sounds prepared. I can dig it.
I have this as a demo cd and have no info whatsoever apart from the groups name, The Broken Hearts and the track is Black Cat. I really like this and will find/search more about them later.

12. Dusty! Love is kinda crazy, with a spooky little boy like you. Love it, of course!
An easy choice title.

13. "Witchy Woman." Yeah, even in a new context, the Eagles still don't do it for me. Sorry!
Haha. This is actually from my wifes side of the shelf. I picked it purely because the title fitted nicely with the theme.

All in all, a diggable lil' Halloween disc. Thanks, mystery mixer!

I wanted to do a Halloween disc but without the obvious Halloween tracks. It was quite easy to pick titles that fitted the theme and this was the main idea. The flow wasnt really a priority. Anyway, glad you liked some of it.

Laverne Baker - Voodoo voodoo
Louis Prima/Keeley Smith - That old black magic
Shocking Blue - Demon lover
The Marcels - That old black magic
Screamin Jay Hawkins - Little emon
Zombie Ghost Train - Monster rock n roll
Jumpin Gene Simmons - Haunted house
Suicide - Ghost rider
Pretty Things - Monster club
Gorillaz - Ghost train
The Broken Hearts - Black cat
Dusty Springfield - Spooky
The Eagles - Witchy woman

TG

Postby TG » 09 Nov 2011, 20:23

Here is the review to my October mix. First off, I have to say this was pretty much up my street with quite a few familiar tunes here.

I was your mixer this month and I'm glad you enjoyed the mix. I guess it was a bit familiar for you but it happens, I guess. I had started with a completely different mix for you and after listening to it a couple of times I decided I really didn't like it much. While trying to decide what to do I found a list I'd made of cover songs that my last band used to do live. Some we did often, others maybe only once. This is the better part of that list. I left off a couple of other tracks that didn't feel right in this mix. So, here we go with a not very necessary reveal of tracks that were covered by The Wig Titans (the band in question) -

1. Alvin Robinson - Down home girl. On the Redbird label and stablemate to the Shangri Las. Excellent.

You knew it already but I can say without question that I wouldn't mind getting this on a mix and I know it backwards and forwards. I love this song.

2. Fleetwood Mac - Rattlesnake Shake. Peter Green at his best. This really is the only Fleetwood Mac.

Is there a better song about masturbation? I doubt it.

3. Muddy Waters. Dont know the track, but its got that unmistakable Muddy stamp. Fine stuff.

I Can't Be Satisfied by the great Muddy Waters. I love the upright bass on this. I assume it's played by Willie Dixon. This was covered well by the Stones.

4. I think this is Professor Longhair and I know the track is the Hadocol bounce, which I also know was a popular hair tonic. There is a few other Hadocol related boogie type songs too. Bounces along nicely.

I dearly love Professor Longhair and this track is special because it features guitar so prominently. Hadacol, by the way, was a Patent Medicine. Which is to say it was booze and maybe some pharmaceuticals passed off as the Red Bull of its day. This song always got a great reception when we did it even though there was little chance that anyone who heard us play it had ever heard the original. He recorded this under his real name - Roy Byrd.

We did this one as a hidden track at the end of our one and only CD.

5. This is Merle Haggard but I havnt heard this track before. Great lyric, but im not too keen with the country stuff.

Merle, indeed, doing Wishing All These Old Things Were New. It's from a CD from the early 2000s. I'd never heard the original until long after the band broke up. We used to do it with guitar, bass, drums and mandolin.

6. Hank and his Ramblin' man. This really is where it all began. Still sets a shiver down my spine so it must have really blown people away when first recorded.

Hank Williams doing Ramblin' Man. We started doing this one because we had more time on stage than we anticipated at one gig early on in our time together and I remembered this track and since it has a total of two chords I knew we could fake our way through it. The audience loved it and so we kept it in the set from then on.

7. A very early 'blues' number. Could be any of the early ragtime/vaudeville guys who switched to the more saleable blues which was becoming more popular at the time...Broonzy, Lemon, Blake..etc. Still has more of a ragtime feel about it. Great finger picking.

Police Dog Blues by Blind Blake. Nice guess! We did this one during the portion of the set where my guitar was tuned to open E. The finger picking is amazing and I only wish I could say that could match it when I played it. I could get close but Mr Blake can do things I can't.

8. The fantastic Slim Harpo. Rock n roll with a foot tapping shuffle. Yeah!

Don't Start Crying Now - maybe my favorite by Slim. We did this song every set we played, I think. Th other guitarist and I could solo for days over tracks like this. It's a blast to play.

9. Hank Ballard & the Midnghters with one of the Annie songs, this one Annie had a baby. Rock n roll doo wop at its best. I love this stuff, similar to Huey Piano Smith and numerous others but all fantastic.

Annie Had A Baby. The late Buddy Blue of the Beat Farmers was a friend of the band and he missed a gig of ours because his wife, Annie, had a baby. We quickly learned the song before we went on stage and played it in their honor. It was the only time we ever played it.

10. A country style rocker now. Has a very roadhouse vibe. Im not a lover of country but if it has this rockier edge im ok with it.

Dave Alvin's (One More) Guilty Man. I didn't like doing this one at first. It was too recent and didn't feel right. Audiences dug it, though, so I quit bitching and played on.

11. A more modern ragtime blues number now. Wonderful bit of acoustic slide. A very traditional song with a good old time sound. Great lyric about ventilating his woman.

The Flamin' Groovies 32-20 Blues. It's on the Teenage Head LP and they give credit to Robert Johnson but it seems to bear little resemblance to his song. I guess you have to respect giving credit to an old Blues guy when their peers rarely did.

12. I thought oh oh..another country song. But then I listened to the lyric! Brilliant tongue in cheek lyric about killing someone burying them in a box about half their size. Reminds me of a guy I listen to occasionally called Uknown Hinson.

I love this song. Wynn Stewart doing I'm Gonna Kill You. This is another one I'd never heard until after the band broke up. Frankly, I think we did it better.

13. This must be Savoy Brown. Like some of the others, not sure of the track but Ive heard and may have it somewhere. Good.

Savoy Brown doing I'm Tired. The guitarist and I had been playing in bands together off and on for 30 some odd years and he and the bass player had been married for decades. We knew tons of songs from having heard them growing up together and this is one of those that we sort of knew even though we'd never actually played it. It's a lot of fun to play, dead simple and crowds (or small groups of people most often) love it.

14. A slow (the slowest here) number. Not quite a country ballad but more like a southern Skynyrd'ish slow boogie off Second Helping. Wasnt overly keen at first but it did grow on me.

Ry Cooder's Boomer's Story. Another one that featured mandolin and that I'd never heard until we'd broken up. I remember playing it one time and just as the song got to the part about the train going by a real train went by outside and blew it's whistle. A nice bit of kismet.

15. This is Daddy Rollin' Stone and its by Derek...? Cant remember. Fantastic one off rarity. Ive got this as a 45 somewhere.

Derek Martin to be exact. We did this very differently to this version. it was always our opening number because it's simple, it allows for the chance to warm up and gets band and crowd on the same page from the get go.

16. Professor Longhair again and No maybes. Great piece of music that I defy anyone to sit still to. Almost has a Louis Prima flavour.

I normally wouldn't put two songs by the same artist on a mix but I couldn't decide which one to use. So you got them both. No Buts, No Maybes is such an infectious track and was always great fun to do live.

There you have it. All sit easily within my comfort zone and apart from the country style interlopers they are all the things that make up my collection. Sorry that I was too familiar with a few but its still a mix that worked well and flowed nicely.
Cheers

I hope you didn't mind that you knew most of these or my reminiscing about playing these in my band. I know I enjoyed it!

Down Homegirl Alvin Robinson
Rattlesnake Shake Fleetwood Mac
I Can't Be Satisfied Muddy Waters
Hadacol Bounce Roy Byrd & His Blues Jumpers
Wishing All These Old Things Were New Merle Haggard
Ramblin' Man Hank Williams
Police Dog Blues Blind Blake
Don't Start Cryin' Now Slim Harpo
Annie Had A Baby Hank Ballard & The Midnighters
Guilty Man Dave Alvin
32-20 Blues The Flamin' Groovies
I'm Gonna Kill You Wynn Stewart
I'm Tired Savoy Brown
Boomer's Story Ry Cooder
Daddy Rollin' Stone Derek Martin
No Buts, No Maybes Professor Longhair
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

NickC

Postby NickC » 10 Nov 2011, 05:26

Thanks TG. All good stuff and easy to see why you would include these gems in your set. These are the kind of things me and my mates muck about with too, basic but very effective and fun to do. Hank's Ramblin man a very stripped back Am E7...but ive got to admit the finger picking of the Blind Blake track would be beyond my skills and if you are getting near it, then I applaud your dexterity. Thanks again for a great mix.

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 10 Nov 2011, 15:28

NickC wrote:I wanted to do a Halloween disc but without the obvious Halloween tracks. It was quite easy to pick titles that fitted the theme and this was the main idea. The flow wasnt really a priority. Anyway, glad you liked some of it.

Laverne Baker - Voodoo voodoo
Louis Prima/Keeley Smith - That old black magic
Shocking Blue - Demon lover
The Marcels - That old black magic
Screamin Jay Hawkins - Little emon
Zombie Ghost Train - Monster rock n roll
Jumpin Gene Simmons - Haunted house
Suicide - Ghost rider
Pretty Things - Monster club
Gorillaz - Ghost train
The Broken Hearts - Black cat
Dusty Springfield - Spooky
The Eagles - Witchy woman

Thank ya sir!
Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.

Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

beenieman

Postby beenieman » 11 Nov 2011, 01:17

Time to review Steve Albini’s disc.

Track 1 – Nothing But a Heartache. Very familiar. Sixties R&B girl pop. Excellent opener
Track 2 – This sounds like early Springsteen but I’m thinking it’s earlier than that. I’d buy this.
Track 3 – Buffalo Tom. I Scratched My Finger? It’s amazing as the decades rollon what sounded new in the 80’s(?) sounds little different than what went 20 years earlier? I mean this as a compliment. They had a great sound.
Track 4 – My mind’s a blank on this. Vocally like the Clash ‘What’s My Name’. Again a familiar track and a good song. Batting 1000 so far
Track 5 – Sugartown but not Nancy Sinatra. A retro sound but made now rather than then. I enjoy this.
Track 6 – Opening notes are a rip from “We’ve gotta get out of this place’. This could easily be the Animals playing 40 years ago.
Track 7 – Another fine track with an old sound
Track 8 – Full on backing a la JAMC or the Byrds. Another excellent track musically & lyrically. I could listen to this on repeat for a while.
Track 9 – Comsat Angels – Independence Day. I can't relax 'cause I haven't done a thing
and I can't do a thing 'cause I can't relax. Haven’t thought of this song in many years.
Track 10 – This one’s a little noisy for my liking. I do like where they changer pace when someone stops them in their tracks by yelling out breakdown.
Track 11 – A little different. Folky acoustic track.
Track 12 – My favourite track on the disc. Lovely slow number. Beautiful.
Track 13 – Less into this one. Admittedly because I keep wanting to return to the last track. :D
Track 14 – Another fine retro track. Amazing how this stuff flows together over the years.
Track 15 – So relaxing. Lovely sound. Too short. :D
Track 16 – Rolling Stones Miss You. At the start I thought it was Hot Stuff. Is this a different mix or artist. Slowed right down & not much disco here. Sounds like Jagger though.
Track 17 – A somewhat disorganised sound to end with.
Thanks mixer, probably not Albini as per the envelope :D For such an enjoyable mix I’m surprised I knew so few of the tracks.
One night, an evil spirit held me down
I could not make one single sound
Jah told me, 'Son, use the word'
And now I'm as free as a bird

Uncle Spellbinder
My Spine Is The Bassline

Postby Uncle Spellbinder » 11 Nov 2011, 02:44

Here goes. Sorry to inform you that I'm not Steve Albini. :lol:

beenieman wrote:Time to review Steve Albini’s disc.

Track 1 – Nothing But a Heartache. Very familiar. Sixties R&B girl pop. Excellent opener
I really love this song, and the band. The Detroit Cobras - Nothing But A Heartache

Track 2 – This sounds like early Springsteen but I’m thinking it’s earlier than that. I’d buy this.
From 1991, American Music Club - Outside This Bar

Track 3 – Buffalo Tom. I Scratched My Finger? It’s amazing as the decades rollon what sounded new in the 80’s(?) sounds little different than what went 20 years earlier? I mean this as a compliment. They had a great sound.
Still one of my favorite bands. Buffalo Tom - Kitchen Door (And they have a brand new LP out, by the way).

Track 4 – My mind’s a blank on this. Vocally like the Clash ‘What’s My Name’. Again a familiar track and a good song. Batting 1000 so far
Again, one of my favorites. Up there with Wire and The Ruts for me. The Members - Soho-A-Go-Go

Track 5 – Sugartown but not Nancy Sinatra. A retro sound but made now rather than then. I enjoy this.
Yep. Nice, eh? North Mississippi Allstars - Sugartown

Track 6 – Opening notes are a rip from “We’ve gotta get out of this place’. This could easily be the Animals playing 40 years ago.
Not quite The Animals. The Dream Syndicate - That's What You Always Say

Track 7 – Another fine track with an old sound
Fine indeed! XTC - This Is Pop

Track 8 – Full on backing a la JAMC or the Byrds. Another excellent track musically & lyrically. I could listen to this on repeat for a while.
A quite under-appreciated band, at least here in the States. Catherine Wheel - Broken Nose

Track 9 – Comsat Angels – Independence Day. I can't relax 'cause I haven't done a thing and I can't do a thing 'cause I can't relax. Haven’t thought of this song in many years.
Hit the nail on the head. Comsat Angels - Independence Day

Track 10 – This one’s a little noisy for my liking. I do like where they changed pace when someone stops them in their tracks by yelling out breakdown.
Yep. A little raw and noisy. From 1995, Boss Hog - Green Shirt

Track 11 – A little different. Folky acoustic track.
Great band. I'd love to see them live. The Mountain Goats - The House That Dripped Blood

Track 12 – My favourite track on the disc. Lovely slow number. Beautiful.
I'm really glad you like this track. Another great band. Green On Red - You Couldn't Get Arrested

Track 13 – Less into this one. Admittedly because I keep wanting to return to the last track.
Robert Fripp - Chicago. Has a Nick Cave feel to me.

Track 14 – Another fine retro track. Amazing how this stuff flows together over the years.
Some love them, some hate them. I love this band. Easily among my top 10 bands. The Afghan Whigs - What Jail Is Like

Track 15 – So relaxing. Lovely sound. Too short.
Didn't know whether this song would fit on this comp or not. I think it ended up fitting nicely. Dead Can Dance - Black Sun

Track 16 – Rolling Stones Miss You. At the start I thought it was Hot Stuff. Is this a different mix or artist. Slowed right down & not much disco here. Sounds like Jagger though.
I thought this was a fine, raw cover of the Stones classic. Calexico - Miss You (live)

Track 17 – A somewhat disorganised sound to end with.
Well, these guys could probably be called disorganized. :D The Adverts - Television's Over (Single Version)

Thanks mixer, probably not Albini as per the envelope :D For such an enjoyable mix I’m surprised I knew so few of the tracks.

I wasn't sure what direction to take when I saw you were my recipient. I just started with a song and went with the flow of my mood. Glad you enjoyed it!

The Detroit Cobras - Nothing But A Heartache
American Music Club - Outside This Bar
Buffalo Tom - Kitchen Door
The Members - Soho-A-Go-Go
North Mississippi Allstars - Sugartown
The Dream Syndicate - That's What You Always Say
XTC - This Is Pop
Catherine Wheel - Broken Nose
Comsat Angels - Independence Day
Boss Hog - Green Shirt
The Mountain Goats - The House That Dripped Blood
Green On Red - You Couldn't Get Arrested
Robert Fripp - Chicago
Afghan Whigs - What Jail Is Like
Dead Can Dance - Black Sun
Calexico - Miss You
The Adverts - Television's Over (Single Version)
“Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.” - Frank Zappa

Uncle Spellbinder
My Spine Is The Bassline

Postby Uncle Spellbinder » 11 Nov 2011, 18:01

A rather eclectic mix this time 'round. I love eclectic. :D

1) Opening poetry of some sort. Moody, interesting.
2) Not a clue as to what this is. A cappella of some sort. Really interesting. Not necessarily my cup o' tea, but I like it.
3) Arabic music? Dead Can Dance do a lot of stuff resembling this. I really like this.
4) Big change of pace here. 60's garage rock jam. Good stuff.
5) Soulful sounding garage. NICE.
6) Disjointed organ driven stuff here. No idea who this is. But I like it.
7) I feel like I should know this. Slight Latin feel. The voice seems familiar. Can't place it.
8) Straight forward pop rock here. Very nice. I Like this one quite a bit.
9) Atmospheric funky jazz proggy stuff.
10) 60s/70s female soul? Really like this a lot. Favorite track so far.
11) 50's rock n' roll. Great track. "I cried all night but I ain't gonna cry no more."
12) Quick moving folksy tune. Nice track.
13) Really nice acoustic track. Guitar? Mandolin?
14) Very nice song. I really like this one a lot. Great acoustic guitar work. Love the lyrics and the voice. The violin near the end is wonderful.
15) Piano/keyboard driven atmospheric song. The voice sounds familiar. Don't know If I should know this or not. I like this as well.
16) Strings, brass, woodwinds, drums and yet another voice that i feel I should recognize.
17) Starts subdued. Almost an electronic vibe happening. Stays relatively atmospheric until about half way through. Then the guitars chime in slowly building into a beat driven, controlled frenzy of sorts. reminiscent of Ozric Tentacles. Really digging' this.
18) "I Like My Toys" by The idle Race. I have this on a comp somewhere. Great song!
19) "Leaving Here" by The Birds. A classic, to be sure. The Birds should have been huge. Not just because Ron Wood got his start there. But because they were damned good.
20) Closing poetry of some sort. Moody, interesting.

I don't think there was anything I didn't like to some extent and quite a few that I loved. Excellent October mix! Kept my attention all the way through.
Cheers to the mixmaster!
“Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.” - Frank Zappa

beenieman

Postby beenieman » 12 Nov 2011, 01:52

Mike Boom wrote:This months disc was a great Halloween themed disc all the way from NZ (wrapped in some familiar packaging! :D ). Had a ball listening to this - the perfect disc for a Halloween party, and will be keeping this one on file. Great great fun, and keeps the spooky mood just right !

You were my compiler last month so thought I’d return your envelope :D This is my second Halloween disc & I might just make this an annual event. The trick is to avoid the more obvious tracks, or at least to use then sparingly.
Mike Boom wrote:1. Fantastic start with the appropriate rain and chiming bell, thunder and lightening that breaks into a slow metal crawl that speeds into a frenzied guitar solo at the end.

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath. Surprised you didn’t recognise this. Has any band EVER had a better, more appropriate 1st ever track than this? What a sound.
Mike Boom wrote:2. Spooky organ track punctuated with siren sounds, another metal track by who I haven’t a clue

Bloodrock - D.O.A. Songwriter Pickens explained the song “When I was 17, I wanted to be an airline pilot,I had just gotten out of this airplane with a friend of mine, at this little airport, and I watched him take off. He went about 200 feet in the air, rolled and crashed”. I’m not sure that really explains the song! It’s a great doomy track. Charted at #36 in the US.
Mike Boom wrote:3. The Electric Prunes with I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night - great track

It is them. Did you know they started off as protégés of Leon Russell? Neither did I.
Mike Boom wrote:4. Roxy Music and their Midnight Hour cover from Flesh and Blood I think?

You got it. A great version from what i consider Roxy’s best album “Flesh & Blood. It’s the perfect amalgam of Ferry’s solo aesthetics alongside Roxy Music’s
Mike Boom wrote:5. The Who - Disguises - love this song.

The first Who album i ever had was a split album, one side the who, the other Jimi Hendrix. It’s probably worth a fortune. This seemed to work for Halloween & kicks off a series of 60’s tracks.
Mike Boom wrote:6. Nice sixties type number " Im so evil little darling .." no idea who this is tho.

The Troggs – Evil. Good ol’ Reg Presley.
Mike Boom wrote:7. Another sixties track that I know but cant place the name of, love it. Very annoying that I can’t place this.

The Avengers - Love Hate Revenge. The original, nowhere near as good was by Episode 6 a chunk of whom went on to become Deep Purple. This went to #1 in NZ. Fantastic track. Should have been #1 all over the world. Still should be!
Mike Boom wrote:8. The Beach Boys and Dennis with the infamous Manson re write " Never Learn Not To Love". Despite its creepy connection it’s a beautiful song, one my Dennis faves.

The Beach Boys - Never Learn Not To Love. Manson makes this a Halloween song. Hard to believe Manson’s still alive. It is a beautiful song.
Mike Boom wrote:9. A Doo Wop type fifties track about aliens - great stuff.

The Jive Five - People From Another World. Kicking off some real oldies (sort of). The Jive five cut one of my all time favourite tracks “My True story”. This is another of their greats. Thease guys knew how to tell a story in song.
Mike Boom wrote:10 . Another similar to the last track - a Zombie Doo Wop. Great stuff.

The Monotones – Zombi. Zombie doo-wop indeed.
Mike Boom wrote:11. The Zombies get super funky. Do the Zombie !

Chubby Checker - Doin’ The Zombie. I confirmed this on several sources. It really is Chubby doing the Zombie rap in 1997. Unbelievable & should have revived his career.
Mike Boom wrote:12. A laid back groovy slow jam - very nice.

Earth, Wind & Fire – Evil. A very early track from them, starting a short soul section of the mix disc. Philip Bailey has a great voice.
Mike Boom wrote:13. Spooky ! In keeping with the previous groove, not sure who is doing this version.

British lass Dusty Springfield with Spooky. A great version.
Mike Boom wrote:14. Riders of the Storm - The Doors - Love this track, always suitably creepy.

Perhaps a little clichéd for Halloween but it is good. I know The doors split people so I’m glad you liked it.
Mike Boom wrote:15. The Coop and I Love the Dead - awesome stuff

It is awesome. Amazing how poppy it is really.
Mike Boom wrote:16. Nice spooky bells to end with.

Indeed.
Mike Boom wrote:Thanks again to my kiwi compiler - really great fun disc and just the perfect thing for playing Halloween night.

1. Black Sabbath Black Sabbath 1970 6.19
2. Bloodrock D.O.A. 1970 8.30
3. Electric Prunes I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night 1966 2.59
4. Roxy Music In The Midnight Hour 1980 3.13
5. The Who Disguises 1966 3.12
6. The Troggs Evil 1966 3.16
7. The Avengers Love Hate Revenge 1968 2.39
8. The Beach Boys Never Learn Not To Love 1969 2.34
9. The Jive Five People From Another World 1961 2.39
10. The Monotones Zombi 1958 2.33
11. Chubby Checker Doin’ The Zombie 1997 3.17
12. Earth, Wind & Fire Evil 1973 5.11
13. Dusty Springfield Spooky 1968 2.44
14. The Doors Riders On The Storm 1971 6.59
15. Alice Cooper I Love The Dead 1973 5.07
16. Elliot J Robert Church Bells 1977 0.27

beenieman

Postby beenieman » 12 Nov 2011, 01:53

Uncle Spellbinder wrote:I wasn't sure what direction to take when I saw you were my recipient. I just started with a song and went with the flow of my mood. Glad you enjoyed it!

The Detroit Cobras - Nothing But A Heartache
American Music Club - Outside This Bar
Buffalo Tom - Kitchen Door
The Members - Soho-A-Go-Go
North Mississippi Allstars - Sugartown
The Dream Syndicate - That's What You Always Say
XTC - This Is Pop
Catherine Wheel - Broken Nose
Comsat Angels - Independence Day
Boss Hog - Green Shirt
The Mountain Goats - The House That Dripped Blood
Green On Red - You Couldn't Get Arrested
Robert Fripp - Chicago
Afghan Whigs - What Jail Is Like
Dead Can Dance - Black Sun
Calexico - Miss You
The Adverts - Television's Over (Single Version)

An excellent mix Uncle & I'll certainly be checking out some of these acts some more. Thanks.

Return to “Mix Club”