July Reviews

Exchange mix CDs with each other.
NickC

Re: July Reviews

Postby NickC » 16 Aug 2011, 11:10

Thanks for that Mr. Hatz.
Im shocked I didnt recognize The Alarm Clock! :oops:
Judee Sil I have heard before and liked. Maybe this was a tad on the safe side to what ive heard previously.
The Donovan, yeah I see (hear) it now. You are right regarding the Innes playing too. Ive probably done the guy a diservice by only remembering his tv work and not actually 'listening' to his playing. I will be definately checking out the Spiders and more of Ochs, who I have threatened to do on numerous occasions but always forget to.
Cheers
Nick

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 16 Aug 2011, 19:26

So, this month I got one of those mixes that seems more to be a coherent whole than a set of individual cool tracks. I enjoyed it from start to finish, even though a couple of things weren't really up my alley.

Track 1 – Radio intro in the form of a wartime broadcast, although the language used makes it clear that it’s not authentic.
Track 2 – Sludgy riff, blues vocal. Recorded in a shed. Rather enjoyable.
Track 3 – The kind of thing I think of as “soundtrack jazz”, a showy number from the ‘40s or ‘50s. Again, it’s enjoyable, although I’m not sure I’d really sit down and listen to an album of this stuff at home.
Track 4 – Josef K doing ‘It’s Kinda Funny’. Not the album version; could it be a Peel Session or demo or something? Good song.
Track 5 – Very ‘80s thing with dramatic synth drums and strings under some sampled speech that sounds profound but is drowned out a bit. Kind of liked this one, though it’s very dated and goes on too long.
Track 6 – Still in the ‘80s, with some vaguely industrial synth-pop. Hints of Wire in their second incarnation. Quite liked this one too; not everything worked but I’m interested nonetheless.
Track 7 – Odd experimental arty Eastern European synth-pop in which some musicians clank and plink their instruments while some old man rambles on in a Slavic language. Doesn’t really work, but it has some strange charm and I’m quite pleased I got to hear it, if that makes sense.
Track 8 – A man with a plummy voice reads Poe’s ‘Conqueror Worm’ over some quiet, spooky ambient backing. Is this from that Lou Reed album that got panned or something? I enjoyed this.
Track 9 – Funky take on ‘Hound Dog’. Fun.
Track 10 – ‘I Think We’re Alone Now’. Except not the big guilty-pleasure ‘80s hit, more a ‘70s powerpop thing with an adenoidal female singer. I have a sneaky fondness for the big hit version and didn’t know it was a cover. This version’s decent too.
Track 11 – Country-rock strum with “quirky” lyric. Well-crafted, etc. Not my thing, etc.
Track 12 – This sounds like Joy Division. I don’t recognise the track and yet I have all the Joy Division albums. If it’s an imitator, it’s a very good impression. I think it’s an obscure JD track though. Is it?
Track 13 – Shouty industrial post-punky thing with someone rattling a jar of change. OK.
Track 14 – More industrial. Wasn’t into this one so much.
Track 15 – Weird, skronking indie thing. Thinking Fellers Union Doobeedoo or something like that, maybe. There are a few catchy little melodies flying around in amongst all the odd noises here; I liked this one.
Track 16 – Similar to the last one, though I found this one more annoying than likable.
Track 17 – Amusing little Americana closer which I assume is intended to be an amusing little Americana closer rather than an amazing song by someone I’ll rush to hear more of. It’s an amusing little Americana closer.

So thanks to my mixer; I enjoyed almost everything on here and it really worked as a set, being full of oddness and mystery (although this was spoilt a bit by my mixer writing his own name in big letters on the front of the envelope :lol: ). Look forward to the reveal!
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Uncle Spellbinder
My Spine Is The Bassline

Postby Uncle Spellbinder » 18 Aug 2011, 05:20

The post office would not let me send it without ID and a proper address. First time that's ever happened to me. Thought it was odd. But, oh well.

On to the reveal......

PENK wrote:So, this month I got one of those mixes that seems more to be a coherent whole than a set of individual cool tracks. I enjoyed it from start to finish, even though a couple of things weren't really up my alley.

Track 1 – Radio intro in the form of a wartime broadcast, although the language used makes it clear that it’s not authentic.
A scene from the film "Red Dawn."

Track 2 – Sludgy riff, blues vocal. Recorded in a shed. Rather enjoyable.
"Oh, Baby, It Just Don't Matter" - The Sir Douglas Quintet from the 1969 album "Mendocino." I just love these guys. Especially the very early material

Track 3 – The kind of thing I think of as “soundtrack jazz”, a showy number from the ‘40s or ‘50s. Again, it’s enjoyable, although I’m not sure I’d really sit down and listen to an album of this stuff at home.
"Intermission Riff" - Stan Kenton from the 1956 album "Kenton In Hi-Fi." Among my all-time favorite jazz artists

Track 4 – Josef K doing ‘It’s Kinda Funny’. Not the album version; could it be a Peel Session or demo or something? Good song.
Indeed, Josef K. From the 1981 album "The Only Fun in Town." Straight from the CD.

Track 5 – Very ‘80s thing with dramatic synth drums and strings under some sampled speech that sounds profound but is drowned out a bit. Kind of liked this one, though it’s very dated and goes on too long.
"Corruption" - In The Nursery from the 1992 album "Duality." I love these guys and their neo-classical, electronic sound.

Track 6 – Still in the ‘80s, with some vaguely industrial synth-pop. Hints of Wire in their second incarnation. Quite liked this one too; not everything worked but I’m interested nonetheless.
"Testure" - Skinny Puppy from the 1988 album "VIVIsect VI." I'm a big Skinny Puppy fan. This particular track is an anti vivisection song.

Track 7 – Odd experimental arty Eastern European synth-pop in which some musicians clank and plink their instruments while some old man rambles on in a Slavic language. Doesn’t really work, but it has some strange charm and I’m quite pleased I got to hear it, if that makes sense.
"Forgotten Sex" - Zvuki Mu from the 1989 self-titled album. Strange, indeed. Zvuki Mu were from Russia. The album was produced by Brian Eno

Track 8 – A man with a plummy voice reads Poe’s ‘Conqueror Worm’ over some quiet, spooky ambient backing. Is this from that Lou Reed album that got panned or something? I enjoyed this.
"The Conqueror Worm" - Ken Nordine. The king of "word jazz." From the 1997 compilation "Closed On Account Of Rabies: Poems And Tales Of Edgar Allan Poe"

Track 9 – Funky take on ‘Hound Dog’. Fun.
"Hound Dog" - Big Mama Thornton. This version is from the 1969 album "Stronger Than Dirt." Though her original 1953 version held down the top slot on Billboard's R&B charts for seven weeks in 1953. Predating Elvis by 3 years.

Track 10 – ‘I Think We’re Alone Now’. Except not the big guilty-pleasure ‘80s hit, more a ‘70s powerpop thing with an adenoidal female singer. I have a sneaky fondness for the big hit version and didn’t know it was a cover. This version’s decent too.
"I Think We're Alone Now" - Lene Lovich from the 1979 album "Stateless."

Track 11 – Country-rock strum with “quirky” lyric. Well-crafted, etc. Not my thing, etc.
"Susan Goodnight" - Vulgar Boatmen from the 1995 album "Opposite Sex." Not for everybody, but I've been a fan for years.

Track 12 – This sounds like Joy Division. I don’t recognise the track and yet I have all the Joy Division albums. If it’s an imitator, it’s a very good impression. I think it’s an obscure JD track though. Is it?
"Everything Is On Fire" - Siglo XX from the 1988 album "Fear And Desire." From Belgium, they released several albums and ep's from 1979-89 with Antler Records and Play It Again Sam Records.

Track 13 – Shouty industrial post-punky thing with someone rattling a jar of change. OK.
"Sweet Sedation" - Test Dept. from the 1984 album "Beating A Retreat." More political than their German counterparts Einstürzende Neubauten, Test Department followed the same tack, using a variety of objects as instruments (including scrap metal, glass and power tools).

Track 14 – More industrial. Wasn’t into this one so much.
"The Right To Reject" - The Neon Judgement from From the 1990 album "The Insult." I only have 2 albums, but I love them both an awful lot.

Track 15 – Weird, skronking indie thing. Thinking Fellers Union Doobeedoo or something like that, maybe. There are a few catchy little melodies flying around in amongst all the odd noises here; I liked this one.
"The Ballad Of Queen Bee And Baby Duck" - Eagles Of Death Metal from the 2006 album "Death By Sexy." Excellent band (Josh Homme from Queens Of The Stone Age plays drums).

Track 16 – Similar to the last one, though I found this one more annoying than likable.
"No Mistakes" - Otto Kentrol from the 1980 EP "Learn Greek in Greece." Definitely odd.

Track 17 – Amusing little Americana closer which I assume is intended to be an amusing little Americana closer rather than an amazing song by someone I’ll rush to hear more of. It’s an amusing little Americana closer.
"Waitin' In Your Welfare Line" - Buck Owens from the 1966 album "Open Up Your Heart." Amusing little Americana closer will suffice. :D

So thanks to my mixer; I enjoyed almost everything on here and it really worked as a set, being full of oddness and mystery (although this was spoilt a bit by my mixer writing his own name in big letters on the front of the envelope :lol: ). Look forward to the reveal!

Glad you enjoyed it!!

Radio Free America - Dialog From The Film 'Red Dawn'
Oh, Baby, It Just Don't Matter - The Sir Douglas Quintet
Intermission Riff - Stan Kenton
It's Kinda Funny - Josef K
Corruption - In The Nursery
Testure - Skinny Puppy
Forgotten Sex - Zvuki Mu
The Conqueror Worm - Ken Nordine
Hound Dog - Big Mama Thornton
I Think We're Alone Now - Lene Lovich
Susan Goodnight - Vulgar Boatmen
Everything Is On Fire - Siglo XX
Sweet Sedation - Test Dept.
The Right To Reject - The Neon Judgement
The Ballad Of Queen Bee And Baby Duck - Eagles Of Death Metal
No Mistakes - Otto Kentrol
Waitin' In Your Welfare Line - Buck Owens

Last edited by Uncle Spellbinder on 19 Aug 2011, 05:49, edited 1 time in total.
“Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.” - Frank Zappa

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 18 Aug 2011, 05:50

So here's my long-delayed review (mostly delayed by a replacement disc having to be sent, which I just received on Monday! Time to have a chat with my postal carrier).

This is a mostly winning late 60s vintage or styled post-psych disc. If it has a theme other than that I'm missing it, but it all has a post-Summer of Love feeling, some of it implied, some of it direct.

1) Vintage freakbeat, though maybe a simulation thereof. Talks about many colors, dreams, feelings in my mind, all the hallmark themes of the era. Not blowing my mind like this stuff can at its best, but it's pretty cool.

2) The only one I recognize for certain. The Zombies and "Hung Up on a Dream." I can't believe I was in my 40s before I really familiarized myself with this record, but now it's a strong favorite.

3) Now this sounds a lot more modern (possibly even recent), but thematically similar. Somewhat nondescript, but pleasant enough.

4) Sounds like 80s psych-revival. Powerful and potent, and bails out abruptly right before it starts to overstay its welcome. Good stuff.

5) Something AIrplane/Starship related- unless I miss my guess I hear Kantner and Slick, anyway, but I don't recognize it, so I'm going to guess it's early 70s. Again, not up to their best stuff, but not bad.

6) Later 60s? Something about coming home to his mama (as in "old lady, I suspect, not the one that raised him :lol: ), with a sound that's somewhere between psych and buttrock. The kind of stuff that's not quite in my wheelhouse, but can sometimes just hit the spot.

7) Gentle, poppy, what else?- post-psychedelia. I like this a lot. Muted trumpet, nice harmonies, slick production. Sounds like it might be from the west coast, which means I should probably know it.

8) More late 60s(?) pop with almost gospelly touches and a screaming guitar solo. Nice mix of gentle and rough, fading out with a wild but mild freakout.

9) Gentle horn pop that's almost BS&T-esque, though without the overwrought vocals. This is nice white R&B that only goes bad once the sax and keyboard solos (which sound dangerously fusion-y) come in. Like it on the whole, but there's definitely parts I'd edit were I mixing it.

10) An odd little ending track that's mostly a capella, somewhere between lush Beach Boys harmony and streetcorner soul. Pretty cool. No idea who it is.

So a bit short, but definitely doesn't overstay it's welcome, and not a single bad track on it, and several good ones- 1, 2 (obviously), 7, 8 and 10 particularly. Look forward to the reveal.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

NickC

Postby NickC » 18 Aug 2011, 22:16

toomanyhatz wrote:So here's my long-delayed review (mostly delayed by a replacement disc having to be sent, which I just received on Monday! Time to have a chat with my postal carrier).
Hahar! It would seem we had each other this month! Well, as long as I have been involved with the mix club, this is the first time one of my mixes has gone awol. At least the replacement arrived within the time limits. Anyway, here are the culprits..

This is a mostly winning late 60s vintage or styled post-psych disc. If it has a theme other than that I'm missing it, but it all has a post-Summer of Love feeling, some of it implied, some of it direct.
I had a feeling this would be a pretty safe mix for you, but maybe I could suprise you with a few rarities.

1) Vintage freakbeat, though maybe a simulation thereof. Talks about many colors, dreams, feelings in my mind, all the hallmark themes of the era. Not blowing my mind like this stuff can at its best, but it's pretty cool.
Actually, recorded in 2007! This was originally by the Kingsmen, but this version by The Trypps. A good remake that reall does have that vintage feel.

2) The only one I recognize for certain. The Zombies and "Hung Up on a Dream." I can't believe I was in my 40s before I really familiarized myself with this record, but now it's a strong favorite.
Im with you here. I also came late to the Zombies, only really knowing the familiar hits.

3) Now this sounds a lot more modern (possibly even recent), but thematically similar. Somewhat nondescript, but pleasant enough.
Washington band The Dead Meadow. Slightly on the harder side to the rest here, but as you say, similar.

4) Sounds like 80s psych-revival. Powerful and potent, and bails out abruptly right before it starts to overstay its welcome. Good stuff.
Well, this was those early English modsters The Creation. This however, was from their reformed 90s incarnation. They never got the recognition they deserved in my opinion, and in all honesty their later incarnations didnt do them much justice, but this track I thought was a step in the right direction.

5) Something AIrplane/Starship related- unless I miss my guess I hear Kantner and Slick, anyway, but I don't recognize it, so I'm going to guess it's early 70s. Again, not up to their best stuff, but not bad.
Correct, Slick and Katner with the oddly named album Baron Von Tollbooth & the Chrome Nun. Jery Garcia provides the lead.

6) Later 60s? Something about coming home to his mama (as in "old lady, I suspect, not the one that raised him :lol: ), with a sound that's somewhere between psych and buttrock. The kind of stuff that's not quite in my wheelhouse, but can sometimes just hit the spot.
I thought you would have got this one. Especially as you included one on my mix! This is The Strawberry Alarm Clock and a track from the Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls s/t.

7) Gentle, poppy, what else?- post-psychedelia. I like this a lot. Muted trumpet, nice harmonies, slick production. Sounds like it might be from the west coast, which means I should probably know it.
This is one of the great forgotten UK bands! The Flies where alway on the cusp of making it, supporting Hendrix, Floyd etc. They just never seemed to get that break though. This track, Gently As You Feel is from their well overdue Collection 65-68.

8) More late 60s(?) pop with almost gospelly touches and a screaming guitar solo. Nice mix of gentle and rough, fading out with a wild but mild freakout.
For me, this is the defining album in psychedelic music. Took me years to find this on vinyl, from 1967 its Gandalf.

9) Gentle horn pop that's almost BS&T-esque, though without the overwrought vocals. This is nice white R&B that only goes bad once the sax and keyboard solos (which sound dangerously fusion-y) come in. Like it on the whole, but there's definitely parts I'd edit were I mixing it.
Another band that never achieved the success they deserved. San Fransiscan band Its A Beautiful Day, (maybe the name was a tad too much eh). They toured with the Dead, Airplane and all the other hippie groups of that period...but never had the same impact later on. This is from a 45 from 72.

10) An odd little ending track that's mostly a capella, somewhere between lush Beach Boys harmony and streetcorner soul. Pretty cool. No idea who it is.
Just a little oddity to end. As I was going through the 45s looking for the last track, I found this. They where a popular band in the UK during the early 80s doing acapella style covers. This was their debut in 83 which became that years Christmas no.1. Its the Flying Pickets with Yazoo's Only you.

So a bit short, but definitely doesn't overstay it's welcome, and not a single bad track on it, and several good ones- 1, 2 (obviously), 7, 8 and 10 particularly. Look forward to the reveal.

Glad you liked it. I always keep my mixes to 10 or a max of 13 tracks. Album length, easy to listen to and easier to review. Any info, just cough.

1. The Trypps - guess i was dreaming
2. The Zombies - hung up on a dream
3. Dead meadow - what needs must
4. The Creation - lay the ghost
5. Baron Von Tollbooth - sketches of China
6. Strawberry alarm clock - im coming home
7. The Flies - Gently as you feel
8. Gandalf - i watch the moon
9. Its A Beautiful Day - anytime
10. The Flying Pickets - only you

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 18 Aug 2011, 22:35

Thanks Nick- I was looking over the list thinking we might have gotten each other this month! Good stuff- I'm a bit ashamed I missed the Alarm Clock, but so did you so we're even. :P I'll definitely investigate the Flies and the Flying Pickets. Thought I recognized the Yazoo song but couldn't place it! The Flies track really sounds very '68 California to me. Is that typical of their stuff? Might be a new band to get into, for which I'm always grateful.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

beenieman

Postby beenieman » 21 Aug 2011, 06:15

From New Orleans this month. Who could that be?

Track 1 – Starts with a count in but the songs pretty much by the numbers. Sorry it just polds along on the rhythm without any real variation.
Track 2 – An acoustic version of Mockingbird which I’m guessing sounds exactly like it’s supposed. I prefer the production gloss but I get it.
Track 3 – Another ‘authentic’ track. Sounds live. Fella’s off to Angola. Is that like Up Park Camp (just kidding). This old school primitive hey nigger stuff ain’t really my thing. I like more production.
Track 4 – This is a bit fancier with some instruments that engage in the tune. The voicing sounds familiar. Sounds like 50’s or 60’s calypso but I’m guessing it’s New Orleans?
Track 5 – Another fairly primitive number. Fats Domino? Bit slow for him I gues?
Track 6 – A ballad. Is this French? Zydeco? Best track so far for me.
Track 7 – Washed over me. I do prefer these slower more complex tracks though.
Track 8 – Singing about Little Willie and his transgressions. A bit more interesting
Track 9 – A long (7:48) instrumental. Much musical prowess I’m sure.
Track 10 – Low volume for some reason. Rap.
Track 11 – This lady is dull
Track 12 – Instrumental from a hornsman. Shorter, and better, than the last instrumental but I’m really a fan of the voice. I don’t like dub either
Track 13 – Sorry this is dull for me.
Track 14 – The guy’s trying hard but I’m just not getting him.
Track 15 – Another miss
Track 16 – This is a bit better for me but in essence too old, too crude for me.
Track 17 – The best track on the disc. Some excitement at last. Sounds familiar too.
Track 18 – Not for me. Just boogies on along.
Track 19 – A bit of a West Indian sound here
Track 20 – I was hoping the closer would be the track I loved. No such luck.

I’m guessing this is what it’s like when someone who doesn’t get reggae gets one of my reggae discs? This is an interesting sampler but not for me.

There have only been 2 previous mixes I’ve received that got pretty negative reviews. Sorry but this just missed the boat for me. Most of the singers didn’t sound like they were having any more fun than me either?
I hope you draw me again so we can try again.
One night, an evil spirit held me down
I could not make one single sound
Jah told me, 'Son, use the word'
And now I'm as free as a bird

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 21 Aug 2011, 17:44

beenieman wrote:From New Orleans this month. Who could that be?

I wonder! Alright, let's see if I can pick myself up off the floor... :)

beenieman wrote:Track 1 – Starts with a count in but the songs pretty much by the numbers. Sorry it just polds along on the rhythm without any real variation.

Gil Scott Heron - "The Bottle."

beenieman wrote:Track 2 – An acoustic version of Mockingbird which I’m guessing sounds exactly like it’s supposed. I prefer the production gloss but I get it.

It's actually a version of "Hambone" (or "Mockingbird") performed by an unknown shoeshine boy, and recorded on a New Orleans street back in the '40s. I liked it because how it flows into the next track...

beenieman wrote:Track 3 – Another ‘authentic’ track. Sounds live. Fella’s off to Angola. Is that like Up Park Camp (just kidding). This old school primitive hey nigger stuff ain’t really my thing. I like more production.

Sporty T - "Sporty Talkin' Sporty '93." This is a prime example of New Orleans Bounce, which is the local form of hip-hop that traces a pretty direct line to much older styles of New Orleans music - in fact, the rhythm/vocal line on this track pretty closely matches the one on "Hambone."

beenieman wrote:Track 4 – This is a bit fancier with some instruments that engage in the tune. The voicing sounds familiar. Sounds like 50’s or 60’s calypso but I’m guessing it’s New Orleans?

Lionel Belasco, with "Good Night Ladies and Gents." He was by far the most recorded Caribbean artist before the second world war. Good stuff.

beenieman wrote:Track 5 – Another fairly primitive number. Fats Domino? Bit slow for him I gues?

Yep, Fats with "Won't You Come on Back."

beenieman wrote:Track 6 – A ballad. Is this French? Zydeco? Best track so far for me.

Tom Ze, with "Sem a Letra 'A.'" He's Brazilian, and does some really cool (and pretty far out) experimentation with his music. Glad ya liked it!

beenieman wrote:Track 7 – Washed over me. I do prefer these slower more complex tracks though.

A great contemporary Cajun band, Feufollet, with my daughter's favorite song, "Femme l'a Dit." They're pretty nifty with the way they incorporate instrumentation that wouldn't normally be found in Cajun music - e.g., the New Orleans brass band backing on this one.

beenieman wrote:Track 8 – Singing about Little Willie and his transgressions. A bit more interesting

Berna Dean, with the Dave Bartholomew-produced "Little Willie."

beenieman wrote:Track 9 – A long (7:48) instrumental. Much musical prowess I’m sure.

The Rebirth Brass Band, with "Roll With It." I don't know if I'd say they're the most musically talented folks out there; this is more the sound of party music around here - basically, get drunk and dance kinda stuff. If asked to identify the sound of New Orleans in one track, something along these lines would be the most likely contender.

beenieman wrote:Track 10 – Low volume for some reason. Rap.

More New Orleans bounce, 2 Blakk with "Second Line Jump." Second lines, of course, are the little mini-parades featuring the type of brass band music heard on the last track.

beenieman wrote:Track 11 – This lady is dull

Back to Brazil, Nara Leao with "Opinao." I love her voice, but I guess it isn't for everyone.

beenieman wrote:Track 12 – Instrumental from a hornsman. Shorter, and better, than the last instrumental but I’m really a fan of the voice. I don’t like dub either

Ernie and the Top-Notes with "Things are Better." Ernie Vincent's a New Orleans funk guy, plays the guitar, and had one minor local hits back in the '70s.

beenieman wrote:Track 13 – Sorry this is dull for me.

Brazil once more, Rita Lee (of Os Mutantes fame) doing "Hulla Hulla."

beenieman wrote:Track 14 – The guy’s trying hard but I’m just not getting him.

Amaeche Stephen Osita & His Afro-Rhythm Skies doing "Afro Baby." Some '70s African funkiness.

beenieman wrote:Track 15 – Another miss

Man, I love this track. Davell Crawford with "She's Got a Wobble When She Walks." I dunno, it's just got a funky little rhythm ('50s R&B with a Latin tinge), coupled with the call and response thing, and lyrics about big fat mammas. But to each his own...

beenieman wrote:Track 16 – This is a bit better for me but in essence too old, too crude for me.

Ray Lewis and the Four Bars - "When You Were Mine." Good ol' piano boogie woogie, but oh well.

beenieman wrote:Track 17 – The best track on the disc. Some excitement at last. Sounds familiar too.

The Students, of Frankie Lymon fame, with "Every Day of the Week."

beenieman wrote:Track 18 – Not for me. Just boogies on along.

The Soul Continentals with "Goobah."

beenieman wrote:Track 19 – A bit of a West Indian sound here

Odd - this is the track with the origins furthest from the West Indies - the Joe Meek-produced "Rat-Tat-ta-Tat," by Impac.

beenieman wrote:Track 20 – I was hoping the closer would be the track I loved. No such luck.

Hound Dog Taylor, with "55th Street Boogie."

beenieman wrote:I’m guessing this is what it’s like when someone who doesn’t get reggae gets one of my reggae discs? This is an interesting sampler but not for me.

I suppose I was due for a negative review. Oh well! I tried to stick on some tracks that I thought might have some rhythmic or stylistic similarities to reggae, but I guess I failed that miserably.

beenieman wrote:There have only been 2 previous mixes I’ve received that got pretty negative reviews. Sorry but this just missed the boat for me. Most of the singers didn’t sound like they were having any more fun than me either? I hope you draw me again so we can try again.

I dunno, we'll see!

1. Gil Scott Heron - "The Bottle"
2. Unidentified Shoeshine Boy - "Hambone"
3. Sporty T - "Sporty Talkin' Sporty '93"
4. Lionel Belasco - "Goodnight Ladies and Gents"
5. Fats Domino - "Won't You Come On Back"
6. Tom Ze - "Sem a Letra 'A'"
7. Feufollet - "Femme l'a Dit"
8. Berna Dean - "Little Willie"
9. Rebirth Brass Band - "Roll With It"
10. 2 Blakk - "Second Line Jump"
11. Nara Leao - "Opinao"
12. Ernie and the Top-Notes - "Things are Better"
13. Rita Lee - "Hulla Hulla"
14. Amaeche Stephen Osita & His Afro-Rhythm Skies - "Afro Baby"
15. Davell Crawford - "She's Got a Wobble When She Walks"
16. Ray Lewis and the Four Bars - "When You Were Mine"
17. The Students - "Every Day of the Week"
18. The Soul Continentals - "Goobah"
19. Impac - "Rat Tat-a-Tat"
20. Hound Dog Taylor - "55th Street Boogie"

:)
Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.

Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

beenieman

Postby beenieman » 21 Aug 2011, 19:34

[quote="Nolamike"]
I suppose I was due for a negative review. Oh well! I tried to stick on some tracks that I thought might have some rhythmic or stylistic similarities to reggae, but I guess I failed that miserably.

[quote]

Thanks for the disc. I'll check out the bounce tracks again as I've been wobdering what that's like. New Orleans music had much to offer reggae at it's origins but I'm not a big fan of much of the older reggae stuff so it's not the way to go for me.

Thanks for the effort and like I said, better luck next time.
One night, an evil spirit held me down
I could not make one single sound
Jah told me, 'Son, use the word'
And now I'm as free as a bird

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 24 Aug 2011, 19:49

Nine Days Ago, Tapiocahead wrote:This was me .. sorry for the delay in the reveal but I've been on me hols and now I'm pretty pissed, I'll do a full reveal tomorrow when I've sobered up a bit.

Still haven't sobered up? ;)

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 31 Aug 2011, 15:22

Nolamike wrote:
Nine Days Ago, Tapiocahead wrote:This was me .. sorry for the delay in the reveal but I've been on me hols and now I'm pretty pissed, I'll do a full reveal tomorrow when I've sobered up a bit.

Still haven't sobered up? ;)

*Paging Tapiocahead*

Return to “Mix Club”