How do you listen to mix club discs?

Exchange mix CDs with each other.
sloopjohnc

How do you listen to mix club discs?

Postby sloopjohnc » 26 Mar 2011, 14:31

And not on a CD player, you comedians you.

I ask this question, because for me, it can make a difference on whether I like the songs on the disc or not.

Usually, I listen to the disc while I'm running, but sometimes this isn't the best way to hear a disc. I was having trouble liking this month's disc, but last night, instead of running, I took a long walk and all the songs clicked way better that way. I figured out it was a walking comp and not a running comp.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

NickC

Re: How do you listen to mix club discs?

Postby NickC » 26 Mar 2011, 16:31

I generaly play it on a quiet night, pretty much how/when I would play any other record. I want to give the disc as much care and thought as the mixer put into it. Its only fair that the disc is evaluated properly.
However :) time is a fickle thing sometimes and if work/personal issues get in the way then I will listen to it in the car, on the boombox while working in the garage and occasionaly while in the bath. I will play it at least three times prior to review, and then i'l play through the PC listening on the headphones to it as I write the review.

John_K
driven by lists

Postby John_K » 26 Mar 2011, 16:53

Ripped straight away to iTunes so I can listen while out and about.

Hopefully a spin while cooking a meal over the weekend, and finally a spin while I type a review...

whodathunkit

Postby whodathunkit » 26 Mar 2011, 17:21

Always obey the three plays rule. Try and start with a free hour, coffee, fags and even a pad and pen like Professor Music ( :oops: ). Quite often nod off during this process :D . So then I stick it on iTunes and listen out and about, in the garden, etc. Also try and play it in the car though this can result in the odd howl of protest from philistines fellow passengers. Sometimes cheat with the "Oooh, I know that one" tracks.

T. Willy Rye
Spinner of crazy fuck-ass shit

Postby T. Willy Rye » 26 Mar 2011, 19:45

A hot bath, glass of wine, scented candles.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 27 Mar 2011, 03:57

John_K wrote:Ripped straight away to iTunes so I can listen while out and about.

Hopefully a spin while cooking a meal over the weekend, and finally a spin while I type a review...

Same here. Have mix, will travel.

T. Willy Rye wrote:A hot bath, glass of wine, scented candles.

:)

You're so macho. Don't forget the cucumbers on the eye-lids.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 27 Mar 2011, 15:23

No fondue?
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

T. Willy Rye
Spinner of crazy fuck-ass shit

Postby T. Willy Rye » 27 Mar 2011, 17:52

sloopjohnc wrote:

No fondue?

I was saving that option until I get yours, Sloop. I'm sure I will be able to spot it due to the extra love and all.

Magilla
Otago Mago

Postby Magilla » 27 Mar 2011, 21:38

I chuck it into the CD player and sit or lie on the sofa and just try to "follow" it as it unfolds (the mix, not the sofa). I too follow and endorse the "three listens" rule - sometimes it can change your perspective on some songs, you hear things you mightn't have noticed otherwise.
"U2 routinely spent a year in the studio...I have a theory: if you put four monkeys in the studio for a year with Lanois and Eno and Lillywhite, they would make a pretty good record, too."

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 01 Jun 2012, 16:03

In the car, mostly. This has the downside that I don't hear the whole mix 'as a piece', but has the upside that I get to actually hear the thing... listening time at home is minimal nowadays. I do rip to the work PC and if the music is office-suitable will play it there (although my colleagues are generally happy to give anything a try).
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 01 Jun 2012, 16:19

Primarily in the car and in the kitchen. Which means that I don't always get it as a continuous listen. But I will listen to it a bunch before reviewing, and while writing the review, will listen to each track a couple times as I type up my comments.
Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.

Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

Six String

Postby Six String » 08 Jun 2012, 01:12

I listen to it in the car and at home in the living room. Some discs work better in the car but even those will sound better in my living room. I too usually take notes that I use in my review. :oops:
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Return to “Mix Club”