December 2019 Reviews

Exchange mix CDs with each other.
Nick Danger

December 2019 Reviews

Postby Nick Danger » 07 Jan 2020, 19:21

A fun and entertaining mix has come my way from the lone star state.

1. Electro pop with a sampled vocal from Ronald Reagan. I've seen several of his westerns so this seems apropos. Energetic and fun. It's his famous off the cuff joke about bombing Russian in five minutes. I smile every time I play it.
2. Also electro pop, sounds 80's, I like the vocal and the energy. Very appealing
3. This voice sounds familiar, kind of a moody rap vocal, good bass backbone. Like the production and arrangement.
4. This mix has a nice flow. No idea who or what this is but it's interesting. Great percussion.
5. I think I've heard this before but I can't put a name to it. Lopes along nicely. Is this Robyn Hitchcock? Whoever or whatever, I like it.
6. Or is this Robyn Hitchcock? I like this even better than the previous track, more going on musically. This is good.
7. Strong band, breathy vocal, good bass and piano. British? It's beautifully orchestrated, builds to a dramatic end. Very nice.
8. This is dramatic and epic. Sounds like the soundtrack to a movie scene. The strings, percussion, keyboard, synthesized horns all paint a picture.

Good job mixer, I couldn't identify anything but I pretty much liked it all. Looking forward to the reveal. Thanks so much.

pcqgod

Re: December 2019 Reviews

Postby pcqgod » 09 Jan 2020, 03:04

Okay, I have received a generous sampler of mainly unfamiliar songs which I describe thusly:

Track one is a smooth 50’s style ballad with doo-wop style vocals.
Track two is a melodic power pop number with great sounding 12 string electric.
Track three is an alternative rock track with a woman (I think) singing about her career in chemistry.
Track four is a lovely somewhat psychedelic pop-rock number featuring what sounds like a guitar played through a revolving Leslie speaker.
Track five has a bouncy beat and lyrics about kisses for the missus.
Track six is a piano driven pop-rock song. Very catchy. Sounds like Teenage Fanclub without the guitars.
Track seven is “It Never Rains in Southern California,” a song I’ve known since grade school but never cared enough about to learn who sings it.
Track eight is a driving rock number and a great moody melody with a refrain of “nothing ever happened to me.”
Track nine is a more commercial sounding number with synthesizers and a vocalist who reminds me of Peter Gabriel.
Track ten is Redd Kross’ version of “Fancy” by the Kinks.
Track eleven is a bluesy rock number with a singer who reminds me of Van Morrison in his more rockin’ mode.
Track twelve is a garage rock sort of thing with lyrics about looking for Lewis and Clark.
Track thirteen sounds like Elvis Costello in his more rockin’ mode. Lots of screaming in the background and great percussion.
Track fourteen is a cool, slow number that reminds me of Jesus and Mary Chain in their more mellow moments.
Track fifteen is a short pretty song that sounds like Robyn Hitchcock to me.
Track sixteen is a Christmas song that XTC recorded as “The Three Wise Men,” as I recall. Thanks for Christmas, and thanks for the mix!
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 10 Jan 2020, 08:33

Nick Danger wrote:A fun and entertaining mix has come my way from the lone star state.

1. Electro pop with a sampled vocal from Ronald Reagan. I've seen several of his westerns so this seems apropos. Energetic and fun. It's his famous off the cuff joke about bombing Russian in five minutes. I smile every time I play it.
2. Also electro pop, sounds 80's, I like the vocal and the energy. Very appealing
3. This voice sounds familiar, kind of a moody rap vocal, good bass backbone. Like the production and arrangement.
4. This mix has a nice flow. No idea who or what this is but it's interesting. Great percussion.
5. I think I've heard this before but I can't put a name to it. Lopes along nicely. Is this Robyn Hitchcock? Whoever or whatever, I like it.
6. Or is this Robyn Hitchcock? I like this even better than the previous track, more going on musically. This is good.
7. Strong band, breathy vocal, good bass and piano. British? It's beautifully orchestrated, builds to a dramatic end. Very nice.
8. This is dramatic and epic. Sounds like the soundtrack to a movie scene. The strings, percussion, keyboard, synthesized horns all paint a picture.

Good job mixer, I couldn't identify anything but I pretty much liked it all. Looking forward to the reveal. Thanks so much.

I’m
Glad you enjoyed it! I don’t have the list on me now, but will post once back in US!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 15 Jan 2020, 14:29

pcqgod wrote:Okay, I have received a generous sampler of mainly unfamiliar songs which I describe thusly:

Track one is a smooth 50’s style ballad with doo-wop style vocals.
Track two is a melodic power pop number with great sounding 12 string electric.
Track three is an alternative rock track with a woman (I think) singing about her career in chemistry.
Track four is a lovely somewhat psychedelic pop-rock number featuring what sounds like a guitar played through a revolving Leslie speaker.
Track five has a bouncy beat and lyrics about kisses for the missus.
Track six is a piano driven pop-rock song. Very catchy. Sounds like Teenage Fanclub without the guitars.
Track seven is “It Never Rains in Southern California,” a song I’ve known since grade school but never cared enough about to learn who sings it.
Track eight is a driving rock number and a great moody melody with a refrain of “nothing ever happened to me.”
Track nine is a more commercial sounding number with synthesizers and a vocalist who reminds me of Peter Gabriel.
Track ten is Redd Kross’ version of “Fancy” by the Kinks.
Track eleven is a bluesy rock number with a singer who reminds me of Van Morrison in his more rockin’ mode.
Track twelve is a garage rock sort of thing with lyrics about looking for Lewis and Clark.
Track thirteen sounds like Elvis Costello in his more rockin’ mode. Lots of screaming in the background and great percussion.
Track fourteen is a cool, slow number that reminds me of Jesus and Mary Chain in their more mellow moments.
Track fifteen is a short pretty song that sounds like Robyn Hitchcock to me.
Track sixteen is a Christmas song that XTC recorded as “The Three Wise Men,” as I recall. Thanks for Christmas, and thanks for the mix!

1- Sincerely The Moonglows
2- Gentle Tuesday Primal Scream
3- My Career In Chemistry Sam Phillips
4- Howard Hughes Ride
5- Kisses For The Misses Richard Swift
6- Only In Your Heart America
7- It Never Rains In Southern California Albert Hammond
8- Nothing Ever Happened Deerhunter
9- Really Want to Know You Gary Wright
10- Fancy Redd Kross
11- Eagle Rock Daddy Cool
12- Looking for Lewis and Clark The Long Ryders
13- Hurry Down Doomsday (The Bugs Are Taking Over) (Unplugged Version) Elvis Costello
14- Brand New The Stereo Bus
15- Pearl Parade (For Fred and Ginger) John Howard
16- Thanks For Christmas The Three Wise Men (Aka XTC)

Hope you enjoyed it, apologies if it was overly long, I must have felt inspired :D