Now Watching on TV

..and why not?
pcqgod

Re: Now Watching on TV

Postby pcqgod » 04 Dec 2018, 19:42

Going through season 1 of 'Star Trek: Discovery' now. I'm enjoying it. I like that it features interesting science fiction concepts as well as being a fairly intense drama. Downsides: the usual problem of pre-OS Trek looking more advanced than OS, Klingons are still dumb (and superstitious!) space vikings, and even uglier than ever.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 04 Dec 2018, 21:48

PENK wrote:
They did a whole series of those Googa. You might be interested in seeing the follow-up:

Carry on up the Khyber!
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 10 Dec 2018, 17:07

I must have not watched Season 4 through to the end because I totally missed what all the story lines here are premised on. But it's easy enough to pick up.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 12 Dec 2018, 14:23

I was flipping through channels Monday evening and noticed the Cosby Show was still being aired. I thought that had been taken off since he became a known sexual predator but apparently not. What was even weirder was the episode that was being shown "Slumber Party" - where Cliff keeps an eye on Rudy's sleepover.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 12 Dec 2018, 20:38

Currently watching The Looming Tower on Prime. Very absorbing so far, not sure how factual it is. Jeff Daniels is superb in this.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 12 Dec 2018, 23:18

It's based on a really interesting book of the same name. There's a lot of fiction in there, but the core issues of conflicts and power plays between and within the secret services contributing towards the 911 attacks not being uncovered, is essentially the same point the book makes. Steve Coll's Ghost Wars is another interesting book that covers some of these issues.
king of the divan

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 13 Dec 2018, 01:34

$P.Muff$ wrote:I was flipping through channels Monday evening and noticed the Cosby Show was still being aired. I thought that had been taken off since he became a known sexual predator but apparently not. What was even weirder was the episode that was being shown "Slumber Party" - where Cliff keeps an eye on Rudy's sleepover.

I was surprised to see Louis CK's show Louie on the shelf in the library recently. I thought all material pertaining to his career had been destroyed.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 18 Dec 2018, 12:41

Snarfyguy wrote:
$P.Muff$ wrote:I was flipping through channels Monday evening and noticed the Cosby Show was still being aired. I thought that had been taken off since he became a known sexual predator but apparently not. What was even weirder was the episode that was being shown "Slumber Party" - where Cliff keeps an eye on Rudy's sleepover.

I was surprised to see Louis CK's show Louie on the shelf in the library recently. I thought all material pertaining to his career had been destroyed.

Didn't he recently do a comedy show (comeback attempt of sorts)?

I only saw a few episodes of his show. It never seemed to have a set time slot. His interactions with his daughters was the most interesting thing I remember about it.

Over the weekend I caught an episode of Kentucky Ayahuasca. That 'shaman' fella seems like a creep. Although I do believe hallucinogenics can help people resolve certain mental & emtional problems.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 18 Dec 2018, 16:31

$P.Muff$ wrote:Didn't he recently do a comedy show (comeback attempt of sorts)?

He seems to have materialized at a few comedy clubs here in NYC to do impromptu "comeback" sets, to some consternation on the part of the audience (or segments of it, I guess). Apparently it's "too soon."

Americans love a second act, but you have to do your time in purgatory and returned chastened. There's no shortcut to redemption.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 18 Dec 2018, 17:32

Watched all of season two of the IT Crowd in one sitting. It really is as good as Father Ted at its best.

Ghost of Harry Smith

Postby Ghost of Harry Smith » 19 Dec 2018, 22:45

I’ve started watching all the BBC ‘A Ghost Story for Christmas’ adaptations of MR James, Charles Disckens and Dennis Wheatley etc.
Some of it I haven’t seen for a long while like the ‘80s version of The Woman in Black (which is excellent), others I’ve never seen like Jonathan Miller’s adaptation of Whistle and I’ll Come to You. All classic stuff that holds up well despite the decades.

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 20 Dec 2018, 13:34

Fuuuuuck.... more rain today so I'm watching this on Vice. So depressing. These kids are screwed, and I really don't see much hope for any of them.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 20 Dec 2018, 17:51

Vice is such a great channel tho'. I enjoy everything apart from that fat hollering chef
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 20 Dec 2018, 17:57

I don't watch food shows, but yeah, some excellent programming on there.

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 22 Dec 2018, 11:37

The sun is supposed to make an appearance today. In the meantime I'm watching this on IFC.

`

Postby ` » 22 Dec 2018, 17:23

$P.Muff$ wrote:Image

The sun is supposed to make an appearance today. In the meantime I'm watching this on IFC.

Just as long as you're not watching it in the cinema and sat next to PWH

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 22 Dec 2018, 23:54

We all make mistakes...

driftin

Postby driftin » 23 Dec 2018, 20:40

Watership Down

I love the book and the 1978 Martin Rosen film.

I hate this.

driftin

Postby driftin » 24 Dec 2018, 09:02

I remember my cousin recommending this to me a few years ago and from the way it was described I thought I'd love it. I didn't get on with it at all due to the constant belching of one of its characters and puerile and flippant humour.

I then tried again the other day thanks to algroth and binged almost the entire first season. It's fantastic. The adult comedy still goes a bit overboard in trying to prove how adult it is but overall it's very funny, extremely inventive with its geeky themes, completely off the wall and unpredictable, its social commentary is sharp, and its philosophy (despite the cynical main character) is rather positive.

I still have the rest of season 2 and 3 to finish but this could very well be up there with Atlanta, Fargo, Legion, True Detective, and Adventure Time (yes, you heard me) as one of the best new TV shows of the 2010s.

driftin

Postby driftin » 26 Dec 2018, 12:10

Hell is real.

Return to “Screenadelica”