Now Watching on TV

..and why not?
User avatar
Samoan
Posts: 9468
Joined: 28 May 2008, 10:22
Location: The Steaming Metropolis

Re: Now Watching on TV

Postby Samoan » 17 Jun 2017, 19:29

Mercy Street on the Drama channel is 3 episodes in and it's compelling, fascinating viewing, especially for me knowing almost nothing about the American Civil War.
It follows two volunteer nurses from opposing sides working in a once grand hotel in Virginia which has been converted into a makeshift hospital.

Image

The above makes for a pretty picture but there are some more uncomfortable scenes such as a civilian doctor undertaking a previously unperformed operation on his own injured brother: stoical New England Abolitionist nurse reads out the anatomical instructions to him from a book whilst timid, but toughening-up Southern Belle Confederate nurse copes well with the chloroform anaesthetic.

Absorbing, brilliantly acted drama.

Image
^^^^^ great post. Thank you. wrote: You know that fairy tale The Secret Garden? Not the porn one the actual book for youngsters. When I listen to Eye I feel like what the girl saw when she was through the door.

User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 15525
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Texas

Re: Now Watching on TV

Postby pcqgod » 07 Jul 2017, 17:23

Watched "Get Smart" season 2 and now watching "The Man from UNCLE" season 1 on dvd.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

User avatar
Samoan
Posts: 9468
Joined: 28 May 2008, 10:22
Location: The Steaming Metropolis

Re: Now Watching on TV

Postby Samoan » 19 Jul 2017, 13:33

How have I only just found out about Detectorists.
It's an absolute joy and a fest of gentle English eccentrism.
Mackenzie Crook, who also wrote & directed, and Toby Jones are cast to perfection...

Image
^^^^^ great post. Thank you. wrote: You know that fairy tale The Secret Garden? Not the porn one the actual book for youngsters. When I listen to Eye I feel like what the girl saw when she was through the door.

User avatar
Geezee
Posts: 11749
Joined: 24 Jul 2003, 10:14
Location: Where joy divides into vision

Re: Now Watching on TV

Postby Geezee » 19 Jul 2017, 16:27

Samoan wrote:How have I only just found out about Detectorists.
It's an absolute joy and a fest of gentle English eccentrism.
Mackenzie Crook, who also wrote & directed, and Toby Jones are cast to perfection...

Image


I could sit happily through a weekend just watching episode after episode, and somehow feel like I was becoming a better person in doing so.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 51868
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: Now Watching on TV

Postby Snarfyguy » 19 Jul 2017, 16:45

Image

I like this kind of Danny McBride vehicle, although I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to someone who wasn't already interested. It's a bit niche-y, I guess.
Jimbo wrote:In some ways, personality-wise, Trump and I are similar.

User avatar
inside-out fox
hounds people off the board
Posts: 13247
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21

Re: Now Watching on TV

Postby inside-out fox » 09 Sep 2017, 20:30

Educating Greater Manchester is an absolute joy, as expected.

The highlight so far for me was the kids drawing four-letter words and cock 'n' balls all over the back door of the van.

Image
Jimbo wrote:You must read this along with the essay I posted and then keep wondering why America is so extreme.


Still Baron wrote:The essay that you posted was absolute nonsense and unworthy of further comment.

User avatar
Neige
Alpine Numpty
Posts: 15862
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 11:11
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Re: Now Watching on TV

Postby Neige » 11 Sep 2017, 15:34

The Great Defector wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:
pcqgod wrote:I watched the first three episodes of 'Carnivale' last night. Pretty entertaining good vs. evil fantasy.

I really enjoyed that show. Shame it got cancelled after two seasons.



Me too.


Me three
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

User avatar
PENK
Midnight to Six Man
Posts: 33258
Joined: 07 Aug 2004, 20:12
Location: Stockholm

Re: Now Watching on TV

Postby PENK » 11 Sep 2017, 19:27

Yeah, and me... though come to think of it I never watched the second series because after watching the first I felt a bit disillusioned knowing in advance that it would lead nowhere.
Darkness_Fish wrote:One slight disappointment was that there turns out to be two cinemas in Bolton

User avatar
driftin
Posts: 426
Joined: 15 Feb 2011, 03:23

Re: Now Watching on TV

Postby driftin » 12 Sep 2017, 11:54

Image

The State

Channel 4 drama about four British Muslims who travel to Syria to join ISIS. This was uncomfortably compelling, scary, and sad.

The most unnerving thing about watching this though has been being redirected to some utterly stupid reviews and comments (most likely from people who have never watched it) who think this is glorifying the death cult. Depiction isn't endorsement. Next they'll be saying Schindler's List is Riefenstahl-like Nazi propaganda. Honestly, these comments are enough to give me an aneurysm and have almost made me forget what a powerful and sad piece of television The State really is because they anger me.

User avatar
The Great Defector
Posts: 15610
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: Now Watching on TV

Postby The Great Defector » 13 Sep 2017, 18:52

driftin wrote:
The most unnerving thing about watching this though has been being redirected to some utterly stupid reviews and comments (most likely from people who have never watched it) who think this is glorifying the death cult. Depiction isn't endorsement. Next they'll be saying Schindler's List is Riefenstahl-like Nazi propaganda. Honestly, these comments are enough to give me an aneurysm and have almost made me forget what a powerful and sad piece of television The State really is because they anger me.


That reminds me of when trainspotting came out and they said it glorified drug use. I remembering thinking of the scene were renton was so desperate for drugs he stuck his head down a toilet to get some he dropped. If that's glorifying then............ :?
Loki wrote:You Brit boys are so contentious!

User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 15525
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Texas

Re: Now Watching on TV

Postby pcqgod » 13 Sep 2017, 19:34

Watched the repeat of the premiere episode of "The Orville" last night, following the hurricane relief special.

Image

I thought it was pretty bad. Not even a proper Star Trek parody, it basically is Star Trek, with light comedic touches and a maudlin love story between the only two characters that have any depth at all. And when I say it is Star Trek, I mean down to the orchestral incidental music and long, boring docking scenes. I only thought a few bits were funny; most of the gags seemed terribly obvious attempts at humor. Could be a short voyage for the Orville if this show doesn't get the ratings the network was hoping for, since this seems like it would be a terribly expensive show to produce.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

User avatar
The Great Defector
Posts: 15610
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: Now Watching on TV

Postby The Great Defector » 14 Sep 2017, 12:18

pcqgod wrote:Watched the repeat of the premiere episode of "The Orville" last night, following the hurricane relief special.

Image

I thought it was pretty bad. Not even a proper Star Trek parody, it basically is Star Trek, with light comedic touches and a maudlin love story between the only two characters that have any depth at all. And when I say it is Star Trek, I mean down to the orchestral incidental music and long, boring docking scenes. I only thought a few bits were funny; most of the gags seemed terribly obvious attempts at humor. Could be a short voyage for the Orville if this show doesn't get the ratings the network was hoping for, since this seems like it would be a terribly expensive show to produce.


Yeah but Adrianne Palicki is in it, Hellooooo!
Loki wrote:You Brit boys are so contentious!

User avatar
neville from norwich
cultural defective
Posts: 13644
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: carrot-munching towards woke-ness

Re: Now Watching on TV

Postby neville from norwich » 16 Sep 2017, 11:36

Diamond Dog wrote:I can only suggest you check the FB thread The Prof started about us - and see how well you did in that me old china.


K wrote:I am bald. I have one friend.


K wrote: (But I am happily married, John)


User avatar
The Modernist
Posts: 8363
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Now Watching on TV

Postby The Modernist » 16 Sep 2017, 15:31



I watched it. It was disappointing.
It only lasted two minutes, not enough time to address the Vietnam War.

User avatar
neville from norwich
cultural defective
Posts: 13644
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: carrot-munching towards woke-ness

Re: Now Watching on TV

Postby neville from norwich » 16 Sep 2017, 15:49

I was astonished not to hear "The End" or "Run Through the Jungle" so turned it off after twelve seconds.
Diamond Dog wrote:I can only suggest you check the FB thread The Prof started about us - and see how well you did in that me old china.


K wrote:I am bald. I have one friend.


K wrote: (But I am happily married, John)


User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 15525
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Texas

Re: Now Watching on TV

Postby pcqgod » Today, 01:40

"Battlestar Galactica" marathon on Syfy.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

User avatar
inside-out fox
hounds people off the board
Posts: 13247
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21

Re: Now Watching on TV

Postby inside-out fox » Today, 12:08

Question Time is back!

and The Undateables is wonderful. The skinny kid with the specs who kept saying 'exactly' was a real sweetheart. I hope he finds someone.

and Educating Greater Manchester continues to be great. DOESN'T IT FOLKS?!? :roll:
Jimbo wrote:You must read this along with the essay I posted and then keep wondering why America is so extreme.


Still Baron wrote:The essay that you posted was absolute nonsense and unworthy of further comment.

User avatar
neville from norwich
cultural defective
Posts: 13644
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: carrot-munching towards woke-ness

Re: Now Watching on TV

Postby neville from norwich » Today, 12:27

Stranger Things, finally.
Diamond Dog wrote:I can only suggest you check the FB thread The Prof started about us - and see how well you did in that me old china.


K wrote:I am bald. I have one friend.


K wrote: (But I am happily married, John)