Now Watching on TV

..and why not?
Geezee

Re: Now Watching on TV

Postby Geezee » 13 Jul 2018, 13:26

Highly recommend The Adventurers of Modern Art, a 6-part series that was shown on Sky Arts but seems to be readily available elsewhere as well.

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv-programme ... ode-guide/

I'm in some awe at how much work has gone into creating this programme, which reflects on the development of various artistic communities in Paris in the early 20th century (with Picasso as sort of a focal point but huge detours into the stories of Apollinaire, Soutine, Kiki, Cocteau, Modigliani, Braque, Man Ray and so many more). It's really quite a artistic achievement in its own right in how it skilfully and tactfully blends footage and photography from the time with incredibly beautiful, carefully developed animation - very often quite literally making a photograph come alive to help the narrative along. The animation itself, and the selection of footage and photography, is a wonder in itself. Whoever created this (it seems to have been developed by French TV first and then translated) really deserves some serious recognition/rewards. Incredible - if exhausting - to watch for anyone with even a vague interest in modern art.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 18 Jul 2018, 08:57

I saw one and I wasn't keen. Seemed quite dumbed down as if made for schools.

Meanwhile I was pretty impressed with Sacha Baron Cohen's new one

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 18 Jul 2018, 11:28

The Modernist wrote:I saw one and I wasn't keen. Seemed quite dumbed down as if made for schools.

Meanwhile I was pretty impressed with Sacha Baron Cohen's new one

Dumbed down! God I found it quite sprawling and occasionally difficult to follow with so many characters and things happening. :?

But yes agree it would be good for schools one way or another - a great way to introduce kids and adults to some of the most important players in the development of 20th century art.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 18 Jul 2018, 11:35

I just mean the focus seemed to be on the artists personal lives rather than the art itself, and I found the animations a bit gimmicky. But each to their own..

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 18 Jul 2018, 20:07

I've just watched this, about Charles Rennie Mackintosh :

I never realised Mackintosh was such a celebrated painter.... but my oh my... the architecture and interior design is just revelatory. I didn't know about the Vienna/Secessionist connection , that spawned the beautiful Post Office.. and the two houses commissioned just outside Glasgow, particularly Hillside.... or the Willow Tea Rooms... just astonishing stuff.

Well worth an hour of your time.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 19 Jul 2018, 08:43

He's hardly 'neglected' though is he? A very odd title for the programme.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 19 Jul 2018, 09:17

The Modernist wrote:He's hardly 'neglected' though is he? A very odd title for the programme.

I think it referred to how he very much dropped out of favour for quite some time before his resurgence. But I agree, not really the case now (or for quite some time).

Did you watch it, G? Fabulous programme - I knew Mackintosh but honestly didn't know the full scope of his work.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 21 Jul 2018, 20:38

I just watched it Pete - fascinating and quite moving. Unfortunately Britain has always been quite a conservative country with regard to arts and design and he was a victim of that.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 23 Jul 2018, 17:42

Finally caught the season finale of "Killing Eve" after missing it when it originally aired. Still entertaining, but all the injected humor took some of the edge off the "Villanelle" character.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 27 Jul 2018, 11:23

The 6th and final bucolic episode of Mortimer & Whitehouse: Gone Fishing in which the Pike eluded capture but it didn't really matter.

Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 27 Jul 2018, 12:37

Sky Arts photographer of the Year.

This year's lot have been pretty mediocre really. Haven't watched the final yet so don't tell me who wins!

Jastreb_J21

Postby Jastreb_J21 » 28 Jul 2018, 09:19

Not really on TV since I'm watching a DVD, but Two Greedy Italians, in which Gennaro Contaldo and Antonio Carlucci travel through Italy and show the society and food, is just great. It's... refreshing. Unless you're hungry, that is.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 30 Jul 2018, 08:31

just finished second season of The Good Fight. Great stuff.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 31 Jul 2018, 23:59

Jeemo wrote:just finished second season of The Good Fight. Great stuff.

Excellent indeed. The Good Wife was a great series but had certainly run it's course. The Good Fight has the potential to eclipse it.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 10 Aug 2018, 01:55

More Nordic Noir from Denmark. Dicte: Crime Reporter is compelling if somewhat grim. Dicte is a journalist in Aarhus with a past, which is being slowly revealed over each two-part story. She came from a strict Jehovah's Witness background, and was ostracised from that community after giving birth at 16. Now, having made a name as a journalist in Copenhagen she has returned to her native city to work on a local paper....only the stories she's given to work on inevitably remind her on the son she was forced to give up for adoption. The slow reveal of the underlying backstory is a good tactic, but the show is emotionally wearing, as Dicte has no tact and continually finds herself in uncomfortable situations. Meanwhile the not-many-actors-in-Denmark trope is in full effect here. The title role is played by established film actress Iben Hjejle (best known for the Dogme film Mifune and a starring role alongside John Cusack in High Fidelity) while Borgen alumni Lars Brygmann and Dar Salim also have prominent roles.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 11 Aug 2018, 10:33

Another cheapo from the charity shop.

A procedural - nothing new, but very bleak and very well done. The two leads (John Turturro and Riz Ahmed) are terrific.
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 11 Aug 2018, 22:33

Murder in Soho. A full length doc about the murder of celebrated boxer Freddie Mills. Catch it on iplayer, it's worth it. I do think they've probably solved the case.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 23 Aug 2018, 21:00

The Good Doctor.

Freddie Highmore is a very impressive young actor.

driftin

Postby driftin » 31 Aug 2018, 12:43

Not quite TV but it could very well be.

@darknessfish you might find this interesting

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 31 Aug 2018, 22:45

Naked Dating, Channel 4.

Just watched a minute of this while flicking around; you see fannies and everything and not just flashes, what is the world coming to, we are fucked, have these people no self respect?

I am starting to think Mary Whitehouse wasn't a house proud town mouse, she had a point.
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Return to “Screenadelica”