Now Watching on TV

..and why not?
`

Re: Now Watching on TV

Postby ` » 15 May 2018, 07:42

BOLLY BEE wrote:Is it that Gold Blend fella?

Surely you mean the librarian chappie from Sunnydale High...

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 18 May 2018, 16:16

sloopjohnc wrote:I've been binge watching Atlanta. Great show - I don't know why I waited so long.

It’s on the BBC iPlayer now.

8-)
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 18 May 2018, 16:19

Watched the first two episodes. It's good, maybe a bit too obvious in its social commentary but I'll keep watching
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

santamentalist (slight return)

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 19 May 2018, 03:36

I loved this series of Atlanta. It dealt with issues like depression and class and race and family and all those big word issues in consistently original and hilarious ways. Like a lot of the best series nowadays it didn't focus on having a similar tone throughout. Both playful and meaningful.
king of the divan

driftin

Postby driftin » 21 May 2018, 19:07

Both seasons of Atlanta are the best thing I've seen on TV since True Detective's first season. If I could change my votes for the TV poll we did a few weeks back I'd put this up there.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 23 May 2018, 13:20

Watched three series over the last few months

- Big Little Lies
- The Sinner
- Top of the Lake

Enjoyed all of them, although The Sinner and Big Little Lies rely way too much on some awful plot holes in how they are resolved. Which is a shame because up until then they were pretty intriguing - and pretty similar in how they start with a crime and work backwards to build up to explain what actually happened. The problem with Big Little Lies is really around the extreme and entirely unnecessary coincidence that Jane's attacker was Perry (as it stands, Perry can now just be seen as an aberration, a crazy, violent man, whereas it felt the show was making much broader commentary on male violence against women). The problem with The Sinner is much bigger - there is both the completely inexplicable behaviour of Cora's parents, who never questioned if their own daughter was dead or not, having spent 18 years caring for her every day, and even more weirdly, they actually concoct a complete fiction about Phoebe's death (which they had no idea if it happened or not) when Cora returns. It makes zero sense - and the whole reaction among the kids to Phoebe's death makes no sense either. It was a pure accident of someone who was gravely ill - and yet they concoct this hugely complex and murderous scheme, and a 3-month kidnapping/drugging of Cora, in order to cover it up.WTF? Such a shame - until the final episode it was all quite interesting.

Top of the Lake is very good. Quite fcked up, which I like - I especially like the "hello brother" sceme. And at least it all pretty much hangs together, even thought it seems to be a very convenient and random outcome that while Robin is Matt's daughter, actually Johnno is not Matt's son.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 28 May 2018, 10:51

I finished AMC's The Terror last night. Superlative stuff: moving, slow-burning and subtle existential/ontological horror-thriller in period costumes. Written, acted and photographed with power and intelligence. I might start a thread on it.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 29 May 2018, 19:36

Jonathan Meades on Jargon.

Give this cunt a series please.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 29 May 2018, 21:02

Re Westworld:

gash on ignore wrote:I’m on the penultimate episode.

I’m not sure if I’ll bother with season 2.

A friend likened the experience of watching the season to working a Sunday crossword, but with none of the satisfaction you get from actually solving a puzzle.

I'm pretty sure I'm done with the show.

Now up:

GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 29 May 2018, 22:38

Afua "I love the sound of my own voice" Hirsch.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/may/29/tuesdays-best-tv-the-battle-for-britains-heroes-master-of-photography-the-split

"Just look at the hysteria on my Twitter feed today."
"Overwhelmed by all the love for my programme, thank you all so much!"
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

borofan

Postby borofan » 30 May 2018, 17:33

gash on ignore wrote:Jonathan Meades on Jargon.

Give this cunt a series please.

He's had plenty of series before. Pretentious twat.
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 30 May 2018, 19:11

Indeed
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 30 May 2018, 19:13

You need a dictionary to watch it but I laughed out loud several times
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 30 May 2018, 19:18

I haven’t seen the new thing but I think he’s GREAT.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 03 Jun 2018, 16:13

Fleabag - watched this wonderful comedy online (it's currently on the BBC iPlayer) and loved it so much I've bought the DVD which I'm now watching. Fleabag is a 30-something Londoner with a chaotic lifestyle, as she owns an unsuccessful cafe and a voracious libido. Haunted by the recent death of her best friend Boo, she stumbles through life. In equal measures alarming and hilarious, it becomes increasing heart-warming as it heads for startling revelations in the final episode.

One of the best British series I've ever seen. Only six episodes, but a new series is commissioned for next year.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 03 Jun 2018, 16:30

Looks good - I might watch one later.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 04 Jun 2018, 20:34

It is very good. I found some of the detours into darkness to be unnecessarily dramatic - do writers really need to create such tragedies in these dramas to underscore the underlying darkness of our lives? Isn’t normal life dramatic enough? - but apart from that I loved it.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 07 Jun 2018, 17:58

PENK wrote:I finished AMC's The Terror last night. Superlative stuff: moving, slow-burning and subtle existential/ontological horror-thriller in period costumes. Written, acted and photographed with power and intelligence. I might start a thread on it.

This is wonderful. I had to watch the third episode again the moment it finished (first time I’ve done that since Ozymandias). The cast is outstanding, particularly Hinds and Harris. Shout out to Paul Ready as Goodsir who seems to be playing an ancestor of his character in Motherland.

I’ve only watched the first five so far, I wanted to stick to one a night but that’s not going to happen.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 12 Jun 2018, 22:14

^^^Well I eked it out but couldn’t resist any longer. Any superlatives you could chuck at it would be fair. Quite brilliant.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 12 Jun 2018, 23:38

Get Shorty ......fantastic series on Sky Atlantic. If you like Breaking Bad and Fargo, you will love it. Chris O'Dowd plays lead and excellent he is too

Return to “Screenadelica”