Now Watching on TV

..and why not?
Geezee

Re: Now Watching on TV

Postby Geezee » 29 Oct 2018, 12:43

the masked man wrote:Image

The Disappearance (Disparu)

Nordic Noir moves south and pitches up in Lyon. Léa is a popular girl who celebrates turning 17 by getting her first tattoo and attending an outdoor gig. Then she disappears, leaving her family in ruins and the police in puzzlement. It is quickly revealed that she has secrets (cocaine and motor racing) and that the tattoo isn't even real. Oh, and everyone else in the family also has secrets. Three episodes in, we already have a deeply tangled web.

This is gripping but it is very generic. Indeed, you wouldn't even guess this was a French show if it wasn't for the language, so tightly does it replicate the Scandi model in both looks and mood. Comparisons with The Killing are inevitable, to the extent that the dream sequence that opens episode two even seems to be a direct homage to the chase that starts the Danish masterpiece. I'm hooked, but I hope it develops more of a character of its own as it develops over the remaining five episodes.

I saw this a couple of years ago as well.
Lea is a bit dazzling herself, but I didn't find much to recommend it - it was ok SPOILER until she is found dead but after that I found the interest and plausibility waned considerably. There was also a lot of unnecessary misogyny on display (without repercussions) which really jarred with me.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 30 Oct 2018, 22:46

I'm not sure a story about a doomed 19th Century Polar expedition absolutely *needs* a supernatural element, but what the heck. The first two episodes are engaging enough.

Has the British guy from Mad Men; he's pretty good.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 31 Oct 2018, 08:20

Geezee wrote:
The Modernist wrote:Anyone watch The Gledback Hostage thing..enthralling.
The German authorities really were more incompetent than you could ever believe.

is there a new documentary about it then? the story itself really is jawdropping and awful.[/quote]

There was a two part drama.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 31 Oct 2018, 18:24

Weimar Berlin, the most exciting and decadent city in the world. I know what I'll be doing the next eight weeks, Wednesday evenings. The most expensive non-English language TV series ever made.

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 01 Nov 2018, 00:02

GoogaMooga wrote:Weimar Berlin, the most exciting and decadent city in the world. I know what I'll be doing the next eight weeks, Wednesday evenings. The most expensive non-English language TV series ever made.

Watched Seasons 1 and 2. Superb entertainment. You even get to see Bryan Ferry performing on stage in a nightclub. He's also involved with the soundtrack.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 03 Nov 2018, 08:26

Excellent stuff.
The natural successor to Inspector Morse, critics say.

Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

driftin

Postby driftin » 20 Nov 2018, 18:35

So far it's more enjoyable than I thought it was going to be.

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 20 Nov 2018, 21:38

I'm going to check out the new Frontline on PBS tonight: Documenting Hate: New American Nazis

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 20 Nov 2018, 21:40

Finished Silicon Valley season 5. The Ehrlich Bachmann character is out due to real-life #me_too stuff and the series seems vaguely to be running out of gas while it searches for relevance.

Just starting Orange is the New Black season 4, which I gather leads up to a prison riot. Very engaging cast of characters!
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 21 Nov 2018, 17:48

Everyone (apart from us) seems to be talking about this:

after my cousin badgered me for the umpteenth time to watch it, I finally saw the very first episode. It looks interesting (I mean that genuinely). Ted Danson is great in everything, isn't he? The only thing that bugged me, strangely, is the high production values - you almost long for a bad shot, or a fluffed line. Every scene looks like it cost millions. Squeaky clean, flashy. Anyway I'm looking forward to watching the rest of the first series.

I'm also really enjoying this:

Jack's got a kid now, who they take with them, and she's a sweetheart (and also clearly very spoiled!). And he's a real mensch.

And this:

Theroux is another mensch - he's really good at getting people to open up, and he comes out with some very wise words. I really like him. This one was hard going, mind. I don't ever recall seeing a dead body in a filmed TV documentary before...
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 21 Nov 2018, 23:45

Yes I think Ted Danson is great in everything, at least everything I've seen of his. Massive fan of Bored To Death which deserves more than just cult status.
king of the divan

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 22 Nov 2018, 14:15

Bored To Death was great! "What's a 'Subaru'?" :D
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 24 Nov 2018, 21:06

slightbreeze wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:Weimar Berlin, the most exciting and decadent city in the world. I know what I'll be doing the next eight weeks, Wednesday evenings. The most expensive non-English language TV series ever made.

Watched Seasons 1 and 2. Superb entertainment. You even get to see Bryan Ferry performing on stage in a nightclub. He's also involved with the soundtrack.

I wasn't really convinced by the show, but Bryan Ferry's old-timey arrangements are amazing in this context, his world-weary take on Bitter Sweet really slays me:

Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 26 Nov 2018, 01:55

The News:

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 27 Nov 2018, 03:25

Watched a bit of Paul Simon's '91 concert in Central Park. Boring shit. I guess his 17 member band where employed to distract from just how fucking bland he was / is. And public TV expects me to donate for this???

driftin

Postby driftin » 01 Dec 2018, 11:29

Why did no one tell me this was directed by Chan-wook Park and had Michael Shannon in the lead role? If I knew this earlier I would've finished it by now.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 01 Dec 2018, 19:00

SPECIAL TREAT TONITE: Every so often, our sole public service arts channel, drk, will go out of its way to dig up something cool and obscure. Such a night on drk will typically be boring WWII dox, then movies, - the later at night, the better they get. So tomorrow morning, at the ungodly hour of 4:15 AM, if I'm awake, I will be rewarded with Damiano Damiani's 1971 mafia film, "Confessions of a Police Captain". A rare treat, after so many repeats of "Django" as their token Italian cult alibi. Before that, they are also showing "Death in Venice", so the wait won't feel too long. I suppose I should thank drk, but unfortunatlely, we are going to lose that channel due to cutbacks. That leaves us with dr2 as the sole channel with high standards, wonder if the cult pix will travel over there...

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

driftin

Postby driftin » 04 Dec 2018, 12:52

Is it possible for the BBC and David Attenborough to make a nature documentary that is anything but utterly magnificent?

`

Postby ` » 04 Dec 2018, 15:21

driftin wrote:Image

Is it possible for the BBC and David Attenborough to make a nature documentary that is anything but utterly magnificent?

Well there was that one about dogging he made a couple of years ago that seems to have vanished off his cv

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 04 Dec 2018, 19:09

GoogaMooga wrote:SPECIAL TREAT TONITE: Every so often, our sole public service arts channel, drk, will go out of its way to dig up something cool and obscure. Such a night on drk will typically be boring WWII dox, then movies, - the later at night, the better they get. So tomorrow morning, at the ungodly hour of 4:15 AM, if I'm awake, I will be rewarded with Damiano Damiani's 1971 mafia film, "Confessions of a Police Captain". A rare treat, after so many repeats of "Django" as their token Italian cult alibi. Before that, they are also showing "Death in Venice", so the wait won't feel too long. I suppose I should thank drk, but unfortunatlely, we are going to lose that channel due to cutbacks. That leaves us with dr2 as the sole channel with high standards, wonder if the cult pix will travel over there...

They did a whole series of those Googa. You might be interested in seeing the follow-up:

fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Return to “Screenadelica”