Now Watching on TV

..and why not?
Rayge

Re: Now Watching on TV

Postby Rayge » 01 Sep 2018, 19:23

The Modernist wrote:Murder in Soho. A full length doc about the murder of celebrated boxer Freddie Mills. Catch it on iplayer, it's worth it. I do think they've probably solved the case.

Yep, I think they did. Really good doc. Glad they punted that Jack the Stripper shit into touch pretty sharpish.

Anyway, anyone else liking Jed Mercurio's new series, Bodyguard? It's pretty damn nifty, first two eps on iPlayer, another one tomorrow night.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 03 Sep 2018, 12:06

Rayge wrote:
The Modernist wrote:Murder in Soho. A full length doc about the murder of celebrated boxer Freddie Mills. Catch it on iplayer, it's worth it. I do think they've probably solved the case.

Yep, I think they did. Really good doc. Glad they punted that Jack the Stripper shit into touch pretty sharpish.

Anyway, anyone else liking Jed Mercurio's new series, Bodyguard? It's pretty damn nifty, first two eps on iPlayer, another one tomorrow night.

Yes, enjoyable... Mad, but good TV.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 09 Sep 2018, 09:47

Watched this last night on C4 :

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/mas ... allymurphy

"Massacre At Ballymurphy" detailing the events six months before Bloody Sunday, where the British Army used the first three days of the newly introduced internment to- in essence- terorise a strongly Catholic part of Belfast..... killing 11 citizens, with seemingly no provocation, in what has to be assumed was pre-determined slaughter.

A really harrowing documentary that is well worth searching out.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 10 Sep 2018, 15:42

I'm finding this quite entertaining.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 10 Sep 2018, 23:53

Very, very good.

Season 2 just started, I think.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 11 Sep 2018, 04:08

Really..I didn't rate it at all and I usually love anything 70s New York related.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 11 Sep 2018, 06:14

I don't know why you wouldn't rate it, allowing for differences in taste and all that.

Are you getting tired of 70s cliches in film? Or was it something else?
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

`

Postby ` » 11 Sep 2018, 09:40

Snarfyguy wrote:Image

I'm finding this quite entertaining.

Gave it two episodes - one more than most shows get - way too twee for my liking

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 11 Sep 2018, 14:23

BOXO wrote:I don't know why you wouldn't rate it, allowing for differences in taste and all that.

Are you getting tired of 70s cliches in film? Or was it something else?

No, I just didn't think the story-lines or characters were very compelling. One episode was much like the other ..pimps sitting around passing the time of day. It did look great though!

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 17 Sep 2018, 21:28

Derry Girls

...or, as I call it, Beebsy's Diary: The Series. A colleague at work from Northern Ireland alerted me to this wonderful show, as a group of teenage girls in Derry (plus an English cousin of one of them) negotiate the trials of being a teenager as they live in a place where soldiers walk the streets and bombs go off. Well-observed, sharply-scripted and full of really great acting, this is a true gem. And it does make the same point as B's diary extracts - history might be being made on the streets outside, but normal teenage life goes on regardless.

The whole series can be streamed from the Channel 4 website. Well worth a watch.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 18 Sep 2018, 01:47

BOXO wrote:Image

Very, very good.

Season 2 just started, I think.

They were just filming a scene downstairs on my block (which has managed to remain architecturally unchanged since the 60s) a couple of weeks ago, so we stopped to watch for a bit. Period cars going by, extras all decked out - pretty fun.

We enjoyed the first season; will inevitably watch the second, although Modernist has a point - it's not GREAT.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

driftin

Postby driftin » 22 Sep 2018, 15:17

Really good.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 23 Sep 2018, 14:19

I've watched the first two episodes of Killing Eve. Enjoyable, and offbeat - you can tell the writer has previously worked in sitcoms as there's a lot of sly humour. It's certainly an odd decision to make a professional killer something of a comic figure, and it will be interesting to see how this works out. Also pleased to see a rare English-language role for the great Kim Bodnia.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 24 Sep 2018, 18:14

over the weekend we polished off Season Five of Bojack Horseman on Netflix.
I thought the first couple of episodes were pretty week. yeah, I get it, it's for adults. I almost bailed. I enjoyed it but I thought maybe the show had jumped the shark. Glad I stuck with it. many of this seasons episodes feature back stories on the characters that, like the series itself, are way more character driven than you'd expect an adult animation TV series to be. which is not to say that it can't be sophomoric - it is but it gets a lot of mileage out of that stuff. one character invents a sex robot that eventually becomes his boss. people think the dildo laden contraption yelling "OH BABY" is some sort of management genius. LOL.
the show is chock full of really pointed satire about where our pop culture rudder is at right fucking now - streaming TV shows, Instagram selfies, celebrity culture, #metoo etc.. I'm not sure how well this stuff will date but it might be one for the time capsule. BoJack Horseman, if you've avoided it so far, is a washed up TV star. His career is revived when a caring person writes a bio about him. His amazing agent gets his career on an upswing but he is filled with self loathing. the show doles out the reasons why in flashbacks and narrative curveballs that are sometimes brilliant and sometimes exasperating. Each season ends with an emotional land mine and this one really worked for me.

I'm looking forward to season six.
uggy poopy doody.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 28 Sep 2018, 13:53

All sorts of good new stuff - it's that time of year again!

Pretty good, but not big on laughs. But KP is clearly a talented individual.

Very enjoyable, with Palin as loveable and as wise as ever, but not particularly deep.

Season 22 just started. I haven't seen the first one yet but they're up to something....

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 28 Sep 2018, 14:19

Great documentary on Hedy Lamarr the other day. Fascinating story..catch it on iplayer.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 28 Sep 2018, 14:44

Copehead wrote:Naked Dating, Channel 4.

Just watched a minute of this while flicking around; you see fannies and everything and not just flashes, what is the world coming to, we are fucked, have these people no self respect?

I am starting to think Mary Whitehouse wasn't a house proud town mouse, she had a point.

Currently showing on SBS here down under is this series. Title Nude, the series is about a police inspector who wakes up from a eight year coma must adapt to the radical change that everyone living in France is naked. He soon learns that not everyone agrees with the government's mandatory nudity policy..

http://www.allocine.fr/video/player_gen ... 23139.html
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 28 Sep 2018, 19:06

never/ever wrote:
Copehead wrote:Naked Dating, Channel 4.

Just watched a minute of this while flicking around; you see fannies and everything and not just flashes, what is the world coming to, we are fucked, have these people no self respect?

I am starting to think Mary Whitehouse wasn't a house proud town mouse, she had a point.

Currently showing on SBS here down under is this series. Title Nude, the series is about a police inspector who wakes up from a eight year coma must adapt to the radical change that everyone living in France is naked. He soon learns that not everyone agrees with the government's mandatory nudity policy..

http://www.allocine.fr/video/player_gen ... 23139.html

But that is French so it will be tasteful, not a load of chavs with their knobs and fannies out
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 29 Sep 2018, 11:48

TootyFrooty wrote:Image

Very enjoyable, with Palin as loveable and as wise as ever, but not particularly deep.

That was written after the first part - in the second part things get a little deeper when MP leaves Pyongyang and travels to the DMZ and a holiday resort in the north of the country.

It really was an excellent documentary, I'd recommend it to anyone.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 29 Sep 2018, 13:59

My word. That was quite discomforting.
Will seek it out. Thanks
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Return to “Screenadelica”