Breaking Bad

..and why not?

Re: Breaking Bad

Postby ... » 24 Mar 2014, 10:09

Just started watching this again from the beginning.

Given how dark things got, you forget how laugh out loud funny some of the earlier shows were (Jessie and Walt fighting over the bag of meth, Emilio running into the tree, Walt making his list about whether to kill Crazy 8…)

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 24 Mar 2014, 11:42

Walt in his undies.
king of the divan

Velvis
Mellowed down easy

Postby Velvis » 24 Mar 2014, 21:01

fueryhk(redux) wrote:Just started watching this again from the beginning.

Given how dark things got, you forget how laugh out loud funny some of the earlier shows were (Jessie and Walt fighting over the bag of meth, Emilio running into the tree, Walt making his list about whether to kill Crazy 8…)

Every scene involving Badger.
a gibbon running freely

Postby ... » 27 Mar 2014, 09:27

Good Bryan C interview in yesterday's Guardian

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio ... lter-white

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 27 Mar 2014, 10:12

Erm, great show and everything, but did nobody else notice the problem with time, namely that, according to the birthday bacon, all the action from the beginning to where WW goes on the lam, is just one year? One year, for example, in which Hank fucks around for quite a while, the plane comes down, a month or two at least after that, Hank gets shot and paralyzed, works his way back to health, goes back to work crippled, recovers, gets promoted and gets shot. I mean, a year?
The fact that it's set in New Mexico meant they didn't have to show the passage of seasons, and I was assuming it was all unfolding over two or three years at least. Of course, this isn't helped by the fact that Aaron Paul and RJ Mitte clearly age far more than that.
And the whole thing with Fring, in fact all the complex story telling, even WW's diagnosis, remission and return of the cancer, it just doesn't fit. And yet they made so much of the whole bacon thing, when they could simply have avoided it. Doesn't make sense to me. Any views?
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Postby ... » 27 Mar 2014, 12:33

Rayge wrote:Erm, great show and everything, but did nobody else notice the problem with time, namely that, according to the birthday bacon, all the action from the beginning to where WW goes on the lam, is just one year? One year, for example, in which Hank fucks around for quite a while, the plane comes down, a month or two at least after that, Hank gets shot and paralyzed, works his way back to health, goes back to work crippled, recovers, gets promoted and gets shot. I mean, a year?
The fact that it's set in New Mexico meant they didn't have to show the passage of seasons, and I was assuming it was all unfolding over two or three years at least. Of course, this isn't helped by the fact that Aaron Paul and RJ Mitte clearly age far more than that.
And the whole thing with Fring, in fact all the complex story telling, even WW's diagnosis, remission and return of the cancer, it just doesn't fit. And yet they made so much of the whole bacon thing, when they could simply have avoided it. Doesn't make sense to me. Any views?

Good point, didn't really notice that. Someone here posted an earlier thread a few years back about the amount of time covered between S1 and (I think) S4. Wonder if the fact the makers consistently played around with flashbacks across the entire series (e.g. the plane crash is shown right at the start of S2 and in loads of subsequent episodes) was to muddy the waters a bit.

Postby ... » 27 Mar 2014, 13:23

The people who compiled Wikipedia's timeline suggest that everything took place over two years (from when Walt turned 50 to the day of his 52nd birthday) and not one.

http://breakingbad.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline

Phil T

Postby Phil T » 27 Mar 2014, 13:52

fueryhk(redux) wrote:Good Bryan C interview in yesterday's Guardian

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio ... lter-white

He still comes across as the sort of bloke you wouldn't mind having a pint and a chat with.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 27 Mar 2014, 14:09

fueryhk(redux) wrote:The people who compiled Wikipedia's timeline suggest that everything took place over two years (from when Walt turned 50 to the day of his 52nd birthday) and not one.

Yes, but he went on the lam after one year, which is what I said.
By that timeline, it was less than a year - 10 months – from Walt getting his diagnosis to the resolution of the whole thing with Fring in the last ep of series 4
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 27 Mar 2014, 14:44

I feel I may have to look on amazon to see what the box set or 1 or 2 dvds cost as I think Im missing out on this. Everyone is so entranced by this series.

Even Emily from Coronation Steet is getting in on the action :)

Coronation Street plotline sees Emily Bishop become Breaking Bad devotee.
Emily reveals she has been given the series on DVD.

"I am really looking forward to it," she tells friend Rita . "I think it is about a diamond dealer... Or does he deal with crystals? I am not sure."

Rita replies: "Well, I love stuff about jewellery."

Last edited by Samoan on 27 Mar 2014, 15:28, edited 1 time in total.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Postby ... » 27 Mar 2014, 15:18

Rayge wrote:
fueryhk(redux) wrote:The people who compiled Wikipedia's timeline suggest that everything took place over two years (from when Walt turned 50 to the day of his 52nd birthday) and not one.

By that timeline, it was less than a year - 10 months – from Walt getting his diagnosis to the resolution of the whole thing with Fring in the last ep of series 4

Sorry, my mistake

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 11 Apr 2015, 09:10

Years later and I have finally watched the whole thing. Still reeling!

I agree that Walter Junior is the only truly sympathetic character. Even Holly was starting to look decidedly peculiar by the end, don't you think?
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 11 Apr 2015, 11:02

Holly?
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » 11 Apr 2015, 12:08

The most amusing thing for me in the series was how dumb Hank was, given he was supposedly a highly trained DEA agent.
:lol:

Phil T

Postby Phil T » 11 Apr 2015, 12:09

Belle Lettre wrote: Even Holly was starting to look decidedly peculiar by the end, don't you think?

Awww! :lol:
Was it the hat?
:)

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 11 Apr 2015, 12:10

Something about the shape of her face. Sorry..
Nikki Gradual wrote:

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 11 Apr 2015, 17:05

Rayge wrote:

No, remember when Walt says it's the one-year anniversary from when he got the cancer? He hadn't gone on the lam yet. Then he spends months in that house. It's more like two years.

Postby ... » 11 Apr 2015, 17:43

Apparently they's showing the whole shebang in the UK from series one episode one on some new channel called Spike - 160 on Sky for those who have it

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 11 Apr 2015, 17:53

'dent' wrote:Holly?

The baby, baby
Nikki Gradual wrote:

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 11 Apr 2015, 18:21

Thanks girl
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Return to “Screenadelica”