Breaking Bad

..and why not?
The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Re: Breaking Bad

Postby The Write Profile » 30 Sep 2013, 09:31

You weren't far off! Man, what a blackly comic finale. Walt finally becomes the smartest man in the room, and the one who calls all the shots when he has absolutely nothing to lose and no time at all. I mean, everything in the finale went exactly as he hoped- except for the final bullet of course. But even allowing for that, it was the most clinically executed and successful of all his plans. He knew long ago that he had poisoned the well, but he's cleaned up enough of it to be somewhat redeemed.

Perhaps it's because he acknowledged what this whole thing was all about-he wanted to be the hero. As he said in his parting shot to Skyler. "I did it for me. I liked it. I was good at it. And I was really ... I was alive. And the final musical cue was a nice ironic touch, without reducing it entirely to glibness. The direction has been spot-on in the last few episodes- this time around, it was low-key, there was an almost baleful beauty to certain sequences. Vince Gilligan is also very clever in how he frames Walt in this episode- he's always in a corner, or entering out of the shadows. It literalises the idea that he's become a ghost, or a legend,

"You look terrible". "Yeah. But I feel good".

I couldn't've said it better myself.

So long, Breaking Bad. It's been a helluva ride.
Last edited by The Write Profile on 30 Sep 2013, 12:03, edited 1 time in total.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 30 Sep 2013, 11:08

He died high on Baby Blue. Of course!
king of the divan

Postby ... » 30 Sep 2013, 17:40

Great, great ending to a great, great series - up there with the Sopranos as the best ever, imho. Now back to season one episode one to enjoy it all over again

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 30 Sep 2013, 17:43

I was quite satisfied. It almost felt like they were trying to satisfy me a little too hard... they KNEW I wanted to see the return of Badger and Skinny Pete and did not disappoint.

But it felt true. It's been said in the last few episodes, that having watched the evolution of Mr Chips into Scarface, he finally started to become something else. Not an innocent, but not deluded about his own motives any more.

That last, long look between Walt & Jesse... nice work.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 30 Sep 2013, 20:38

Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 30 Sep 2013, 22:47

fueryhk(redux) wrote:Great, great ending to a great, great series - up there with the Sopranos as the best ever, imho.

If we're looking at US drama series, then yeah. Without a doubt.

Harvey K-Tel wrote:Image

:lol:

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 01 Oct 2013, 00:23

As i said on facebook

Sin e, no more breaking bad. The end was just as any other episode which worked in it's favor. No grandstanding finale, just a typical breaking bad turn.

"sin e" means "that's it"
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 01 Oct 2013, 01:40

[youtube]EHXZA_5XMJ4#t[/youtube]

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 01 Oct 2013, 04:00

I'm late. But anyway~

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/08/28/how-breaking-bad-will-end-as-told-by-dean-norris

I wonder if the finale will do for Badfinger what The Sopranos did for Journey.

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Postby ... » 01 Oct 2013, 08:33

I wonder if the finale will do for Badfinger what The Sopranos did for Journey.

[/quote]

Badfinger were probably the most unlucky/cursed band of all time. It would be great if BB's use of Baby Blue at its close did although it's rather too late for poor Pete Ham and Tom Evans.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 01 Oct 2013, 15:03

I thought the Badfinger song was maybe a little TOO on point. "Guess I got what I deserved..." Same with that final shot so reminiscent of the similar shot in Taxi Driver. Maybe by the time they got there, it was like "fine, for the last 30 seconds we'll be obvious."
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 01 Oct 2013, 19:46

"The two finest hitmen west of the Mississippi."

"The whole thing felt kind of sketchy, you know, morality-wise."

"Cheer up, beautiful people. This is where you get to make it all right."

"That's a good color on you, it's kind of... cornflower?"

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 01 Oct 2013, 20:46

fueryhk(redux) wrote:
Badfinger were probably the most unlucky/cursed band of all time. It would be great if BB's use of Baby Blue at its close did although it's rather too late for poor Pete Ham and Tom Evans.

Yeah.

I can't hear Badfinger anymore without getting misty.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 01 Oct 2013, 21:21

bobzilla77 wrote:
"Cheer up, beautiful people. This is where you get to make it all right."

Oh FUCK, yeah. That was a line, wasn't it?

You know, I'm sick of all this 'they knew when to call it a day' shit. I want more Breaking Bad like I wanted more Sopranos.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 01 Oct 2013, 23:11

So many GREAT moments in the finale.. those little touches that work so well.

Walt finds the keys, starts the car, "El Paso" starts playing, and he pounds the side window and the snow all comes falling off. Like the BF song, a lttle bit too on-point but at least they didn't have it start with the line "I picked a good one, it looked like it could run."

Those red laser dots appearing on Gretchen & Elliot made me holler "WHOA!"... then when Walt pulls over to pick up the two hitmen I was going "PLEASE let it be Skinny Pete & Badger!" And it was.

Skinny Pete seems to realize he's insulted the great Heisenberg when Walt asks if blue meth is still around, and hears "That shit is choice, yo. Better than ever! Uh... I mean..."

The Stevia thing was a rare case of the show telegraphing itself a little too obviously.

How the hell does Walt keep getting in and out of houses that are being watched by the cops - or hitmen? Do they not even put motion sensors up when someone's under surveillance? He's as much Spiderman as Scarface.

Of COURSE Todd would have a Lydia The Tattooed Lady ringtone!

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 01 Oct 2013, 23:25

Walt is Breaking Bad's Omar.
king of the divan

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 02 Oct 2013, 01:24

Now I get double sad when I hear that Badfinger tune. :(

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 02 Oct 2013, 04:21

bobzilla77 wrote:Walt finds the keys, starts the car, "El Paso" starts playing, and he pounds the side window and the snow all comes falling off.

Usually it falls off when you close the car door, but hey, it's Hollywood, yo!

How the hell does Walt keep getting in and out of houses that are being watched by the cops - or hitmen? Do they not even put motion sensors up when someone's under surveillance? He's as much Spiderman as Scarface.

He's Criss fricking Angel!

Of COURSE Todd would have a Lydia The Tattooed Lady ringtone!

:lol:

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 02 Oct 2013, 19:45

You know, I'm sick of all this 'they knew when to call it a day' shit. I want more Breaking Bad like I wanted more Sopranos.

Well we got Goodman coming back for more, and maybe Huell and Kuby too. Maybe even some shit involving Gus Fring.

Shit I just remembered! Mike Ehrmantraut was Saul's guy too!

I wouldn't be unhappy if there was a Badger & Skinny Pete sitcom on the way either.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 02 Oct 2013, 19:46

I want more Cranston!! :cry:

Return to “Screenadelica”