Return of the RECENT VIEWING

..and why not?
SWIMMING POOL HARRINGTON
hounds people off the board
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby SWIMMING POOL HARRINGTON » 22 Nov 2018, 10:53

top notch Eddie G, tho'!
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 22 Nov 2018, 16:02

Really, you didn’t think so? I suppose I used to be of that mind but it’s not like you can come up with too many films that he did that are better. In his top 10 anyway.
John Coan wrote:I've lived in many different countries in Europe and whenever I come home I think 'England is the best'

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 22 Nov 2018, 17:38

I think I should clarify, both Bogart and Robinson were great, but I think it's a lesser Bogart film and also lesser Houston.

Top 10.

Casablanca, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Maltese Falcon, The Big Sleep, The African Queen To Have and Have Not, The Caine Mutiny , Dark Passage, Angels With Dirty Faces, Transformers - The Last Knight, In A Lonely Place.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 22 Nov 2018, 23:09

Transformers?
John Coan wrote:I've lived in many different countries in Europe and whenever I come home I think 'England is the best'

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 22 Nov 2018, 23:11

Just checking you were paying attention:-p

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 24 Nov 2018, 11:58

It's been a while since a film has annoyed me as much as this one. It started with promise, but quickly became typical Hollywood fare - which is a shame as there is a unique story to be told here.

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 25 Nov 2018, 02:20

I enjoyed this much more than Capt. Fantastic but it's still a bit of a mess. Just too many obvious plot holes for me to feel like I was all in.

driftin

Postby driftin » 25 Nov 2018, 09:49

Favourite of the year? The fact I've watched it three times now probably means yes.

Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 25 Nov 2018, 15:10

You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 25 Nov 2018, 15:49

Minnie Cheddars wrote:Image

Only seen that once many moons ago but it has always stuck with me. Pete Postlethwaite was a treasure.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 25 Nov 2018, 16:09

I've watched a bunch of dvds recently. Most of them weren't great it has to be said, I struggle to find really good films to watch these days. Unless they're really good films, I can't be arsed to write detailed reviews now, so here are some capsule reviews.

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy Typifies a certain strand of "quality" British films. The art design was very good, drawing a link between the Iron Curtain and a drab 70s Britain. The performances were strong too as you would expect from such a distinguished cast. However this was one of the most unthrilling thrillers I've ever seen, there was little dramatic excitement or momentum to any of the scenes. The four suspects were drawn with such vagueness that you didn't care which one was the mole.
The whole thing was very flat, only Tom Hardy's character had any spark. 3/10.

El Bonaerense Low budget Argentinian indie about a country boy, who through a mixture of corruption and happenstance, finds himself a Buenos Aires cop. Very much in the vein of neo-realism, I enjoyed its grimey eye and comic bleakness. Ultimately through the narrative was far too slight to really engage. 4/10
The Aviator Very typical of latter day Scorsese in that its sweep and visual scale were very immersive, but it also felt a little empty. I'm not sure I got that much insight into Hughes ( was he a visionary or just an eccentric rich kid with too much money? The film didn't give me a clear answer on that). It got much stronger in its second half as Hughes' demons took over and Di Caprio was very good. 7/10

Mr Nice Biopic of Howard Marks. This gets off to a disastrous start with the decision to have Rhys Ifans, who is clearly in his mid thirties, play the schoolboy Marks in a series of flashbacks. What an earth made them think they could get away with this I have no idea. It gets better though, because with Mark's roller coaster life, it's impossible to make a dull film. This though makes the film very episodic, so it feels like a lot of separate scenes thrown together rather than something with narrative depth. It's brash and entertaining though, but the kind of thing you forget as soon as you've watched it. 6/10

Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 25 Nov 2018, 22:32

$P.Muff$ wrote:
Minnie Cheddars wrote:Image

Only seen that once many moons ago but it has always stuck with me. Pete Postlethwaite was a treasure.

Yes, although he was quite an arse in that! :)

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 26 Nov 2018, 05:23

The Hot Rock

Fairly entertaining caper film with a post Butch Cassidy/pre Sting Robert Redford. New York locales and a William Goldman script (played for laughs) still don't great cinema make. I'd never seen it.

SWIMMING POOL HARRINGTON

Postby SWIMMING POOL HARRINGTON » 26 Nov 2018, 11:14

Most of you probably know enough about the subject, right? I'll just say that this is a documentary that's worthy of him. It's conventional - linear - but the voice of RW (literally) is featured throughout - atypically sober, open and honest.

You get the full picture - friends, family and lovers fulsome in their praise. He was an incredible talent, a once-in-a-generation comic genius. But there's a sadness that takes over the story once he becomes famous, and watching this you're really pulled through all the emotions. Despite the joy he brought to so many lives, and all the great work he left behind, I think his is a tragic tale. Although it was great to be reminded of his brilliance, it left me feeling terribly sad.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 28 Nov 2018, 13:45

I wonder about that - what's the evidence for him being a once-in-a-generation comic genius? He certainly had his moments. But I wonder how docs like that handle the undeniably saccharine, awful side of his work. We saw the Whitney Houston doc recently and while it does occasionally highlight the fact that she was effectively producing sugary, meaningless pop, there is no real critical appraisal of this - instead just her fans lavishing praise on her brilliance and plenty of talk of the records she broke. I can imagine something similar with Robin Williams. I mean do they in any way delve into the fact that this man is responsible for some of the worst movies of all time?
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 28 Nov 2018, 14:37

Geezee wrote:I wonder about that - what's the evidence for him being a once-in-a-generation comic genius? He certainly had his moments. But I wonder how docs like that handle the undeniably saccharine, awful side of his work. We saw the Whitney Houston doc recently and while it does occasionally highlight the fact that she was effectively producing sugary, meaningless pop, there is no real critical appraisal of this - instead just her fans lavishing praise on her brilliance and plenty of talk of the records she broke. I can imagine something similar with Robin Williams. I mean do they in any way delve into the fact that this man is responsible for some of the worst movies of all time?

Why would he be responsible for them? He didn't write the parts. Plenty (all?) of great actors have made shit films. Does that make them 'responsible?' Filmmaking is a collaborative process and no one has a perfect record of successes.

SWIMMING POOL HARRINGTON

Postby SWIMMING POOL HARRINGTON » 28 Nov 2018, 15:03

Yeah, everybody involved in any art produces shit at some stage. It doesn't say much about the person really.

I'll give you a couple of examples of RW's genius, OK?

One: there's film of him doing improv and his reactions to other people's lines are insanely fast and funny. To be that fast AND that funny without knowing in advance what he was going to be hit with indicates a very special mind. It worked like no other I can think of.

Two: he finished his studies at Juilliard early. They have very high standards there, and they really push their students. And they said there was nothing more they could do with him. Can you imagine that? They threw their hands up and said he knew it all already! That's one fuck of an admission from a school that prestigious. He stunned them all with (for example) incredibly accurate imitations of French, Spanish, Russian and German speakers of English (I think that was early on in his studies).

Look - if you don't want to call it 'genius', then fine. I'm not too hung up on that term. But saying he was 'very talented', or that he had a 'great mind' just isn't enough.

Watch the doc - it's very good. It's just a bit of a heartbreaker. Pam Dawber's recollections hit me hardest, somehow.

Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 28 Nov 2018, 15:15

I’ve been trying to get through as many of Satyajit Ray’s films before Filmstruck disappears this weekend. The other night I watched ‘The Elephant God’ which had a completely different mood to everything else I have watched so far, but the colours were gorgeous and it was wonderful to see some proper 1970’s Indian flares.

Dr Markus wrote:

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 28 Nov 2018, 15:43

We are continuing with our Black and White film watching. Last night it was To Have And Have Not. Top drawer Bogart and Bacall defined sultry.

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 28 Nov 2018, 16:04

The Bulfine Papers (1917) wrote:One: there's film of him doing improv and his reactions to other people's lines are insanely fast and funny. To be that fast AND that funny without knowing in advance what he was going to be hit with indicates a very special mind. It worked like no other I can think of.

Copious amounts of cocaine played a huge role in his spitfire wit. I always found him extremely annoying, but I don't doubt that he was a very smart individual.