Return of the RECENT VIEWING

..and why not?
Davey the Fat Boy

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 14 Sep 2018, 03:29

Matt Wilson wrote:Image
Lonesome Dove
This, gentleman, (do ladies read Recent Viewing?) is the finest western of the '80s. Even Joan Coan, should he ever condescend to watch a six hour miniseries, would agree. It's also better than any theatrically released western of that particular decade. I should've spent twice as much and gotten the older version with subtitles though.

I’ve never seen it. The 80s were a bad decade for Westerns anyhow, so your pronouncement isn’t a big stretch. But better than Heaven’s Gate?
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 14 Sep 2018, 03:52

It's Robert Duvall's greatest role, not to mention his personal favorite. That alone should entice you.
Coan wrote:'Vertigo' is one of the best things U2 have ever done, one of a handful of occasions where they get it just right. That bit near the end where the song lifts off? You don't get that with The Allman Brothers.

Earl E. Eel
hounds people off the board

Postby Earl E. Eel » 14 Sep 2018, 09:09

Life is too short for 80s westerns.
yomptepi wrote:Who in their right minds would voluntarily go to Wales?

caramba

Postby caramba » 14 Sep 2018, 09:10

Lonesome Dove
This, gentleman, (do ladies read Recent Viewing?) is the finest western of the '80s. Even Joan Coan, should he ever condescend to watch a six hour miniseries, would agree. It's also better than any theatrically released western of that particular decade. I should've spent twice as much and gotten the older version with subtitles though.

Surely not only ladies but more than one gentleman read Recent Viewing, Matty, but you're right, LD is damn fine TV. Not so sure about the follow up they did which was also based on a Larry McMurtry novel. Anyone whose interested would also do well to check out L McM's son James, who's made a fair number of fine records and is superb live

caramba

Postby caramba » 14 Sep 2018, 09:12

driftin wrote:
Open Range

This little known film (well, not to western buffs), is actually pretty good and while I don't know where I stand on the free range vs rancher debate, it's always nice to see a well-made oater in the 21st Century. Costner's best picture in this millennium. A fine German blu with English subtitles, a long making-of, and commentary by director Costner.

That guy's face looks like it's been lifted from a PlayStation 3 cut scene.

It was. But let's not be too harsh.

Poor old Kevin C had to find some way to claw back the huge amounts of royalties that vanished in a puff of smoke on first Waterworld and then The Postman. Anyone know how his anti-oil spill patents worked out?
Last edited by caramba on 14 Sep 2018, 18:29, edited 1 time in total.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 14 Sep 2018, 14:17

caramba wrote: Not so sure about the follow up they did which was also based on a Larry McMurtry novel.

There were several follow ups.

Because of the great BCB interest in Duvall westerns, I shall have to review one more soon. Tender Mercies, maybe?
Coan wrote:'Vertigo' is one of the best things U2 have ever done, one of a handful of occasions where they get it just right. That bit near the end where the song lifts off? You don't get that with The Allman Brothers.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 14 Sep 2018, 14:57

Lynne Ramsay is so fucking great. I need to see the rest of her movies (I've only seen this and Morvern Caller). Joaquin Phoenix is on point.
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 14 Sep 2018, 15:00

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:
Lonesome Dove

I’ve never seen it. The 80s were a bad decade for Westerns anyhow, so your pronouncement isn’t a big stretch. But better than Heaven’s Gate?

No 80s Western is better than Heaven's Gate.

Nikki Gradual wrote: Santana is just lift music really, isn’t it ?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 16 Sep 2018, 03:37

Day of the Jackal

Fred Zinnemann's fine thriller is given a new transfer with plenty of extras. One of the great British films of the '70s, its taut pacing and expert screenplay make for a grand evening. Open a bottle of wine and dig in. Edward Fox's best role?

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 16 Sep 2018, 13:23

The House Of Mirth
based on the eponymous Edith Warton novel envelops us (well, just me probably) in the unadulterated savagery of the upper echelons of early 1900s New York society and the survival of the financially and unscrupulously fittest, all beautifully filmed and directed by Terence Davies.

Nikki Gradual wrote: Santana is just lift music really, isn’t it ?

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 16 Sep 2018, 17:23

Day of the Jackal

Fred Zinnemann's fine thriller is given a new transfer with plenty of extras. One of the great British films of the '70s, its taut pacing and expert screenplay make for a grand evening. Open a bottle of wine and dig in. Edward Fox's best role?

Great movie, Fox is fantastic in this. I cant think.of any other films that he is decent in. He's a plank of wood with a posh accent.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 16 Sep 2018, 17:43

:D

Exactly what was called for.

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 16 Sep 2018, 21:11

You're not wrong.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 17 Sep 2018, 08:51

driftin wrote:Image

Just lovely.

We watched this yesterday.

It really is. :)
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 17 Sep 2018, 17:44

White Boy Rick (2017)

Interesting true-life crime story about a teenage boy in Detroit who became an informant in the FBI's war against drugs. Good performances by Matthew McConaughey and newcomer Richie Merritt.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 18 Sep 2018, 19:05

Watched it last night on AMC. I've seen it before a couple times.

Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Earl E. Eel
hounds people off the board

Postby Earl E. Eel » 19 Sep 2018, 10:28

Great scenes, but (maybe) not a great film - right?
yomptepi wrote:Who in their right minds would voluntarily go to Wales?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 19 Sep 2018, 17:13

:roll:

driftin

Postby driftin » 20 Sep 2018, 09:37

https://vimeo.com/283467024

Notorious for the ways in which director Çetin İnanç edited footage from Star Wars into his own film, along with music from Raiders of the Lost Ark and Flash Gordon, Dünyayı Kurtaran Adam (1982) is the “holy grail” of remakesploitation cinema.

The Man Who Saves the World revolves around two Turkish space pilots who crash- land on a desert planet enslaved by an evil wizard. Memorable sequences involve the heroes battling robots inspired by Battlestar Galactica and Forbidden Planet — plus mummies, skeletons, and multi-coloured yetis. Another sees them in starfighter “cockpits,” wearing motorcycle helmets, as footage from the Star Wars Death Star battle is projected behind them.

Saw this at the cinema. Horribly incompetent, weird, cheap, stupid, illogical... and amazing.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 20 Sep 2018, 18:14

Eddie Shah environment wrote:Great scenes, but (maybe) not a great film - right?

I'd agree. The ending seems too easy and quick a resolution for me. It's startling, but leaves a lot of stuff hanging.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!