Return of the RECENT VIEWING

..and why not?
Earl E. Eel
hounds people off the board

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Earl E. Eel » 29 Aug 2018, 20:55

Excellent.

And I got to ask the director a question in the Q&A that followed!
yomptepi wrote:Who in their right minds would voluntarily go to Wales?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 30 Aug 2018, 05:20

The Italian Job

In the continued absence of Alfie in hi def, I'll satisfy myself with this - another one of Caine's classic '60s Brit flicks. Though the disc was released in '09 it still looks great. Plenty of extras, two commentaries, "The Self Preservation Society," etc. What else do you wanna know? Still don't give a shit about those ugly little Mini Coopers though...
Coan wrote:'Vertigo' is one of the best things U2 have ever done, one of a handful of occasions where they get it just right. That bit near the end where the song lifts off? You don't get that with The Allman Brothers.

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 31 Aug 2018, 22:47

Night of The Hunter. A wee bit dated and creaky in a few places. Its still a masterpiece
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 03 Sep 2018, 00:16

How to Talk to Girls at Parties (2018)

A group of punk rock kids in 1977 Croydon go to the wrong party and meet a bunch of aliens (who resemble Cirque du Soleil performers), newly arrived on Earth to learn about different states of being. A rebellious alien girl is intrigued and follows one of the kids home to learn about The Punk Rock. This movie has a good energy through most of it, and some very funny parts, but the sentimental ending seems very tagged on and inconsistent with the tone of the movie otherwise. Not as good as you would have hoped, but also not as bad as it could have been considering that only the first approximate 15 minutes of the movie is directly based on the Neil Gaiman source short story.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 03 Sep 2018, 18:47

BOXO wrote:Image

Excellent.

And I got to ask the director a question in the Q&A that followed!

What did you ask him?
A kid swapping a fishing rod for a Dr. Feelgood album.

Earl E. Eel

Postby Earl E. Eel » 03 Sep 2018, 18:52

What the lads who actually did the heist thought of the film/how do they feel about it now.

He told me they're full of remorse but they've served their sentence and they're kind of resigned to it - at least in part - now.

He gave me a full, intelligent answer but I wanted him to address the point that now they've attained the fame they were seeking (by committing the crime) with the release of the film.

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 03 Sep 2018, 19:11

BOXO wrote:What the lads who actually did the heist thought of the film/how do they feel about it now.

I think the last few 'to camera' bits the real lads do captures that well.

BOXO wrote:He told me they're full of remorse but they've served their sentence and they're kind of resigned to it - at least in part - now.

He gave me a full, intelligent answer but I wanted him to address the point that now they've attained the fame they were seeking (by committing the crime) with the release of the film.

Pity he didn't/couldn't answer that.
A kid swapping a fishing rod for a Dr. Feelgood album.

Earl E. Eel

Postby Earl E. Eel » 03 Sep 2018, 20:12

It is, yeah.

He also said that once the film was completed, they watched a pre-release cut with the librarian and her husband. She got hammered and he fell asleep! She was pleased with the way it all turned out, she said.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 06 Sep 2018, 04:59

Woman in the Window

From the same year as Double Indemnity, Laura, and Murder My Sweet, 1944 was probably the first great year for noir. This is a companion piece to next year's Scarlet Street, also by Fritz Lang, and both concern a femme fatale luring a man to his doom - though she's not really evil in this film. There's a cop-out ending, which didn't really ruin the picture for me. The script is outstanding and Robinson's luck after a muder couldn't be worse, and the encroaching suspense is like a nightmare. All very entertaining and well done. Joan Bennett wears a see-though top in her introductory scenes which surprised me that it made it past the production code. This could have been directed by Hitchcock.
Coan wrote:'Vertigo' is one of the best things U2 have ever done, one of a handful of occasions where they get it just right. That bit near the end where the song lifts off? You don't get that with The Allman Brothers.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 08 Sep 2018, 03:38

Paris Texas

Probably the coolest indie film (is that what it is?) of the '80s. More like a '70s picture, really. Harry Dean Stanton's greatest role, Ry Cooder's best soundtrack, and the whole thing is a Matt movie supreme.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 08 Sep 2018, 05:17

Matt Wilson wrote:Image
Paris Texas

Probably the coolest indie film (is that what it is?) of the '80s. More like a '70s picture, really. Harry Dean Stanton's greatest role, Ry Cooder's best soundtrack, and the whole thing is a Matt movie supreme.

I wanted to like it. Usually slow isn’t a problem for me. Somehow it was with this one.
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 08 Sep 2018, 05:19

Jeemo wrote:Night of The Hunter. A wee bit dated and creaky in a few places. Its still a masterpiece

I think the dated and creaky places are some of the most enjoyable.

It’s a strange film. So stylized, it wants you at a distance. So the dated parts just seem to add to that.
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 09 Sep 2018, 04:37

Open Range

This little known film (well, not to western buffs), is actually pretty good and while I don't know where I stand on the free range vs rancher debate, it's always nice to see a well-made oater in the 21st Century. Costner's best picture in this millennium. A fine German blu with English subtitles, a long making-of, and commentary by director Costner.

driftin

Postby driftin » 09 Sep 2018, 11:26

Matt Wilson wrote:Image
Open Range

This little known film (well, not to western buffs), is actually pretty good and while I don't know where I stand on the free range vs rancher debate, it's always nice to see a well-made oater in the 21st Century. Costner's best picture in this millennium. A fine German blu with English subtitles, a long making-of, and commentary by director Costner.

That guy's face looks like it's been lifted from a PlayStation 3 cut scene.

Earl E. Eel

Postby Earl E. Eel » 09 Sep 2018, 11:40

The whole thing looks like a right load of cobblers

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 09 Sep 2018, 14:54

Well, it definitely wouldn't be for you, John.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 10 Sep 2018, 09:13

Another low-budget horror, this one directly referencing the power of the telephone call in the likes of Scream, as two youtube phone pranksters are given a dose of their own medicine. Actually not bad for this kind of thing, though once again, you kind of hope everyone will die, so there's an absence of suspense.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 11 Sep 2018, 16:15

Outstanding, not just as a horror film, but as a film period. It's so much more nuanced and, frankly, entertaining than anything with teenagers getting terrorized for having sex, or families that move into a haunted house by mistake. This is head and shoulders above pretty much anything relying on genre tropes. In particular, the narrative pacing -- which has a way of defying your expectations -- is really satisfying.

Recommended without reservation.
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 11 Sep 2018, 16:57

Snarfyguy wrote:Outstanding, not just as a horror film, but as a film period. It's so much more nuanced and, frankly, entertaining than anything with teenagers getting terrorized for having sex, or families that move into a haunted house by mistake. This is head and shoulders above pretty much anything relying on genre tropes. In particular, the narrative pacing -- which has a way of defying your expectations -- is really satisfying.

Recommended without reservation.

Absolutely, I love that film. I also really want one of those Babadook pop-up books.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 14 Sep 2018, 02:34

Lonesome Dove
This, gentleman, (do ladies read Recent Viewing?) is the finest western of the '80s. Even Joan Coan, should he ever condescend to watch a six hour miniseries, would agree. It's also better than any theatrically released western of that particular decade. I should've spent twice as much and gotten the older version with subtitles though.