Return of the RECENT VIEWING

..and why not?
Jeemo

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Jeemo » 04 Jul 2018, 19:26

Its been so long since I saw the original one, I remember it being brilliant but I must be around 20 or so at the time. Friedkin is adamant he didnt remake the film but adapted the book. I'm going to try and track down the first version.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 04 Jul 2018, 19:27

I recommend the Criterion blu.
Coan wrote:'Vertigo' is one of the best things U2 have ever done, one of a handful of occasions where they get it just right. That bit near the end where the song lifts off? You don't get that with The Allman Brothers.

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 04 Jul 2018, 19:29

downloading a rip as I type.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 04 Jul 2018, 21:59

Beautiful film, that I saw as a new release and have now seen, thirty years later, as a period piece. Almost seems too whimsical, but it has a lot of charm, largely devoid of plot for heavy spells as Wenders languorously uses his camera to examine the thoughts of numerous Berliners who feel estranged in their city. Finally, Bruno Ganz emerges as an angel who desires to taste the pleasures of a mortal man. Can the US actor Peter Falk, in the city to shoot a wartime drama, help him out? The results are very surprising.

The great French cinematographer Henri Alekan provides gleaming black and white images, and this truly feels lie one from the heart. Also features odd concert footage with an Australian bent with Crime & the City Solution and Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 04 Jul 2018, 23:28

the masked man wrote:Image

Beautiful film, that I saw as a new release and have now seen, thirty years later, as a period piece. Almost seems too whimsical, but it has a lot of charm, largely devoid of plot for heavy spells as Wenders languorously uses his camera to examine the thoughts of numerous Berliners who feel estranged in their city. Finally, Bruno Ganz emerges as an angel who desires to taste the pleasures of a mortal man. Can the US actor Peter Falk, in the city to shoot a wartime drama, help him out? The results are very surprising.

The great French cinematographer Henri Alekan provides gleaming black and white images, and this truly feels lie one from the heart. Also features odd concert footage with an Australian bent with Crime & the City Solution and Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds.

I love this film.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 06 Jul 2018, 05:14

Manhattan Murder Mystery

The last time Allen and Keaton worked together, and it's a good one. An amalgamation of Double Indemnity, Rear Window and even Lady from Shanghai at the end. I don't know why Woody didn't make Diane his leading lady again after Farrow's fall out.
Coan wrote:'Vertigo' is one of the best things U2 have ever done, one of a handful of occasions where they get it just right. That bit near the end where the song lifts off? You don't get that with The Allman Brothers.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 06 Jul 2018, 15:57

Not nearly as sleazy as the poster would have you believe, this is a reasonably well done B-movie melodrama. Ida Lupino is great as the sadistic warden and her real-life husband Howard Duff shines as the crusading doctor. All the usual prison movie stuff happens, along with a few novel devices.

Not as good as Brute Force or I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang, but decent enough.
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 07 Jul 2018, 04:05

The Virgin Spring

Bergman's unbelievably poignant film of a virgin's rape and murder and her father's eventual destruction of her tormenters has always devastated me. You don't see it on the usual list of greatest world cinema classics but it definitely deserves to be there. A welcome upgrade of my old Criterion DVD.

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 07 Jul 2018, 08:12

I watched The French Connection, fabulous stuff. Is there a better screen actor than Gene Hackman on this form?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 07 Jul 2018, 16:54

It is a great picture, and probably better than Bullitt in terms of great counter culture-era detective films. It certainly has a coherent plot, which the McQueen flick really doesn't. I just reviewed The Seven Ups, which is kind of similar, but not as good, of course. It's too bad Friedkin couldn't have continued with the same quality he had in The French Connection and The Exorcist, though I imagine Sorcerer and even To Live and Die in LA are worthy.

Earl E. Eel
hounds people off the board

Postby Earl E. Eel » 07 Jul 2018, 17:28

Bullitt is cack
yomptepi wrote:Who in their right minds would voluntarily go to Wales?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 08 Jul 2018, 05:55

Sweet Smell of Success

OMG is this a great movie. I hadn't seen it in a few years. The dialogue is pitch-perfect, the photography is stellar. A noir? Maybe, but a great drama for sure. Tony Curtis was never better - hard to believe he wasn't nominated for best actor. Lancaster shines as well and the whole thing is bathed in a wonderful New York '50s glow. One of the great films.

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 08 Jul 2018, 11:14

Matt Wilson wrote:It is a great picture, and probably better than Bullitt in terms of great counter culture-era detective films. It certainly has a coherent plot, which the McQueen flick really doesn't. I just reviewed The Seven Ups, which is kind of similar, but not as good, of course. It's too bad Friedkin couldn't have continued with the same quality he had in The French Connection and The Exorcist, though I imagine Sorcerer and even To Live and Die in LA are worthy.

Sorcerer is great as I posted earlier. Live and Die in LA isn't great, Mtv cinema, all pastel shades and Wang Chung.

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 08 Jul 2018, 11:23

I watched The Killing Fields, it succeeds in showing some of the madness of the Khmer Rouge. It however nearly blows it at the end with the cliched use of Imagine.

driftin

Postby driftin » 08 Jul 2018, 16:07

Jeemo wrote:I watched The Killing Fields, it succeeds in showing some of the madness of the Khmer Rouge. It however nearly blows it at the end with the cliched use of Imagine.

I think everything about that film's music is bad. Mike Oldfield's score is so cheesy that it grates against the sombre tone and imagery.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 08 Jul 2018, 17:08

Jeemo wrote: Live and Die in LA isn't great, Mtv cinema, all pastel shades and Wang Chung.

I've got it, and don't mind it at all.

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 08 Jul 2018, 17:26

driftin wrote:
Jeemo wrote:I watched The Killing Fields, it succeeds in showing some of the madness of the Khmer Rouge. It however nearly blows it at the end with the cliched use of Imagine.

I think everything about that film's music is bad. Mike Oldfield's score is so cheesy that it grates against the sombre tone and imagery.

The only thing I noticed about the score was that it didn't really sound like Mike Oldfield.The use of Imagine was cheese overload. I wonder who was responsible for, Robinson, Joffe or Putnum

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 08 Jul 2018, 22:07

Shitstorm.

Has to be one of the worst films I've ever watched, it just takes the most clichéd parts of other really shit blockbusters, and crams them into the most pointless, vacuous sci-fi catastrophe film ever. The CGI is pretty much PS2 game cut-scene standard at best, the plot atrocious and nonsensical, the acting beyond belief. How did they convince Ed Harris and Andy Garcia to appear in this shit?
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 09 Jul 2018, 00:32

You know when you guys post reviews of films like that, and then proclaim them to be shit, I gotta wonder - what did you think they were gonna be like?

I mean didn't the poster clue you in?

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 09 Jul 2018, 00:32

I think it’s context here is maybe being misunderstood - I’ve always interpreted the use of Imagine as a commentary on effectually what would happen if you took Lennon’s lyrics to their natural conclusion: mass murder. The lyrics may as well be the Khmer Rouge manifesto. I think it’s one of the most effective, conflicted use of music in a movie.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON