Return of the RECENT VIEWING

..and why not?
User avatar
algroth
Posts: 5464
Joined: 04 Apr 2010, 03:12

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby algroth » 18 Feb 2018, 13:07

PENK wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:
driftin wrote:
Image

Like most Guillermo Del Toro's best films this is a perfect balance of the sublime and the ridiculous. I'll never look at egg-timers again in the same way.


I really want to like Del Toro's film more than I do, but there's just something that puts me off. Not too sure what it is.


Maybe his substitution of awkward-if-lavish fantasy elements for real emotion or story?


I don't see how his films are missing either of those qualities. Granted, though, I have not seen The Shape of Water yet.

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 6374
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Darkness_Fish » 18 Feb 2018, 19:49

Image

Standard pretty girls getting hunted down by masked killer thing. Better than the My Bloody Valentine remake, at least.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 12845
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby The Modernist » 19 Feb 2018, 01:15

Image

Excellent. Gripping and really believable. I didn't think the US made films like this anymore.

User avatar
PENK
Midnight to Six Man
Posts: 35052
Joined: 07 Aug 2004, 20:12
Location: Stockholm

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby PENK » 19 Feb 2018, 05:44

The Modernist wrote:Image

Excellent. Gripping and really believable. I didn't think the US made films like this anymore.


The image isn’t showing properly so for the benefit of those who can’t see it, he is talking about Jumanji.
GoogaMooga wrote:
Minnie Cheddars wrote:Baron got into a fight with some Satan’s Slaves over some culinary issue

Awful thing when that happens. I had a similar experience at a Tom Jones concert.

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 32787
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Goat Boy » 19 Feb 2018, 14:40

Image

Possessed

I started watching this with the lass on Saturday night and she made me turn it off after 20 minutes. It’s a very odd movie and if you’re not attuned to histrionic, overwrought bombast with added weird shit then you too might turn this off after 20 minutes. Anyway, Sam Neil is a spy living in west Berlin with his wife Anna (an incredible Isabelle Adjani) and son but the relationship is on the verge of collapse. Anna also has a lover, a hilarious camp fella who seems incapable of buttoning up his shirt and is fond of kung fu. It starts off like some art house portrait of a relationship breaking down, lots of portentous dialogue and weeping in enclosed spaces. There’s a scene in a café where Neil totally loses his shit but bystanders don’t react at all. It’s like the characters are so absorbed in themselves that the outside world doesn’t exist. There’s no attempt at realism here. Everything is cranked up to the nth degree and things become increasingly violent as Neil, full of anger and impotent rage hits his wife and forces her to stay with him. Suicide attempts follow, much gnashing of teeth and sweaty close ups and things get progressively weirder as both of them succumb to some kind of madness: Neils rooted in sexual jealousy and possessiveness and Annas in something….else.

Not of all it works. Some of the acting is a bit ripe but then when you are aiming for this kind of operatic intensity you expect a few moments to make you cringe. This only adds to the weirdness though and there’s plenty of that. Dopplegangers make an appearance and the movie continues to build and build becoming increasingly more surreal and disturbed. There’s an incredible sequence in an empty Berlin subway station where Anna howls and screams like a woman, er, possessed culminating in something jaw dropping and horrific. Things get even stranger but I won’t spoil the fun.

Part horror, part psychosexual female fantasy, part psychological drama. It’s one of those unclassifiable movies. What the hell is it all about? At its most basic it’s a battle of the sexes between a domineering, abusive man and a woman longing for (sexual) liberation. Is the movies duality (not just Anna but also the city of Berlin itself) part of some kind of female gender allegory? Is the creature a metaphor for her sexual desires? What’s the significance of the cold war Berlin setting? Is the couples horrific breakup symbolic of Berlin itself? How much of this is real and how much is in Neils head? If you’re looking for answers you won’t find them but there’s enough here to get your teeth stuck into and anyone who has been through an intense break up will at least recognise some of the madness and pain contained herein. It’s not for everyone but it’s worth a watch if you want something singular and extreme. It's not the kind of thing you'd easily forget.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.


Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

User avatar
Geezee
Posts: 12369
Joined: 24 Jul 2003, 10:14
Location: Where joy divides into vision

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Geezee » 19 Feb 2018, 17:36

PENK wrote:
The Modernist wrote:Image

Excellent. Gripping and really believable. I didn't think the US made films like this anymore.


The image isn’t showing properly so for the benefit of those who can’t see it, he is talking about Jumanji.


Important to point out I think that it is the 2017 version.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 12845
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby The Modernist » 19 Feb 2018, 18:12

Ah...the movie I talking about was a 2015 film called 'A Very Violent Year'. For those of you with iplayer, you can catch it there and I recommend you do. It had the naturalistic feel of an early 70s movie like 'The Killing of a Chinese Bookie'. Very low key, but quite gripping.

Penk's joke is lost on me I'm afraid being that these days I have about as much knowledge, interest and acquaintance with mainstream popular culture as an octogenarian high court judge.

User avatar
PENK
Midnight to Six Man
Posts: 35052
Joined: 07 Aug 2004, 20:12
Location: Stockholm

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby PENK » 19 Feb 2018, 18:59

The Modernist wrote:Penk's joke is lost on me I'm afraid being that these days I have about as much knowledge, interest and acquaintance with mainstream popular culture as an octogenarian high court judge.


I think you'd like Jumanji. The jungle mise-en-scène is very effective in drawing attention to the hidden anxieties of Jack Black's character and The Rock plays his role with a stillness and understated power reminscent of Alain Delon.
GoogaMooga wrote:
Minnie Cheddars wrote:Baron got into a fight with some Satan’s Slaves over some culinary issue

Awful thing when that happens. I had a similar experience at a Tom Jones concert.

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 12845
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby The Modernist » 19 Feb 2018, 19:11

PENK wrote:
The Modernist wrote:Penk's joke is lost on me I'm afraid being that these days I have about as much knowledge, interest and acquaintance with mainstream popular culture as an octogenarian high court judge.


I think you'd like Jumanji. The jungle mise-en-scène is very effective in drawing attention to the hidden anxieties of Jack Black's character and The Rock plays his role with a stillness and understated power reminscent of Alain Delon.


Never mind that. Get me your new cup three. We're good to go tonight if you do!

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 12845
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby The Modernist » 19 Feb 2018, 19:24

..although I am tempted by The Rock. He has certain existential qualities.

User avatar
PENK
Midnight to Six Man
Posts: 35052
Joined: 07 Aug 2004, 20:12
Location: Stockholm

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby PENK » 19 Feb 2018, 19:27

The Modernist wrote:
PENK wrote:
The Modernist wrote:Penk's joke is lost on me I'm afraid being that these days I have about as much knowledge, interest and acquaintance with mainstream popular culture as an octogenarian high court judge.


I think you'd like Jumanji. The jungle mise-en-scène is very effective in drawing attention to the hidden anxieties of Jack Black's character and The Rock plays his role with a stillness and understated power reminscent of Alain Delon.


Never mind that. Get me your new cup three. We're good to go tonight if you do!


Oh right, sorry! Been busy all weekend and not checked in properly. I'll get on it now!
GoogaMooga wrote:
Minnie Cheddars wrote:Baron got into a fight with some Satan’s Slaves over some culinary issue

Awful thing when that happens. I had a similar experience at a Tom Jones concert.

Positive Passion
Posts: 770
Joined: 05 Jul 2017, 23:05

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Positive Passion » 19 Feb 2018, 20:13

I went to see Coco during half term and thought it was ace.

User avatar
Dr Markus
Posts: 17670
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Dr Markus » 19 Feb 2018, 22:42

Blade runner 2049.

As a stand alone, I thought it was great. The story line was a bit much. Now i know its a sci fi and set in the future, but even the "miracle" was a bit too much to believe in. As a follow on, it just lacks the true noir of the original. It looked a little too slick, whereas the original looked grubby and dirty as fuck. Kept expecting Alex and his droogs to show up out of nowhere when K went to that Vegas type place. It reminded me of the milk bar.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 12845
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby The Modernist » 20 Feb 2018, 00:01

The Great Defector wrote: Kept expecting Coan and his droogs to show up out of nowhere when K went to that Vegas type place.


:o

User avatar
Dr Markus
Posts: 17670
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Dr Markus » 20 Feb 2018, 00:05

The Modernist wrote:
The Great Defector wrote: Kept expecting Coan and his droogs to show up out of nowhere when K went to that Vegas type place.


:o



:lol:
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

User avatar
PresMuffley
Posts: 1047
Joined: 06 Feb 2017, 12:00

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby PresMuffley » 20 Feb 2018, 00:45

Image

Some guy by the name of Benny Boom directed this. It was his first film. It should be his last.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 6374
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Darkness_Fish » 21 Feb 2018, 17:26

Image

My mum's popped round for tea, so I'm streaming this from youtube in the kitchen via my phone. Never actually watched a film on youtube before, nor done the streaming thing. I feel like I've just entered cheat codes for the 21st century.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

caramba
Posts: 492
Joined: 25 Aug 2016, 17:12

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby caramba » 23 Feb 2018, 08:06

Darkness_Fish wrote:Image

My mum's popped round for tea, so I'm streaming this from youtube in the kitchen via my phone. Never actually watched a film on youtube before, nor done the streaming thing. I feel like I've just entered cheat codes for the 21st century.


If one of the biggest benefits the 21st century has to offer us is watching films on phones, please count me out...

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 6374
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Darkness_Fish » 23 Feb 2018, 08:13

caramba wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:Image

My mum's popped round for tea, so I'm streaming this from youtube in the kitchen via my phone. Never actually watched a film on youtube before, nor done the streaming thing. I feel like I've just entered cheat codes for the 21st century.

No
If one of the biggest benefits the 21st century has to offer us is watching films on phones, please count me out...

Sorry, perhaps I didn't make it clear. I was watching it on telly, via my phone. I mean ... Mind.... Blown.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

caramba
Posts: 492
Joined: 25 Aug 2016, 17:12

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby caramba » 23 Feb 2018, 09:48

Darkness_Fish wrote:
caramba wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:Image

My mum's popped round for tea, so I'm streaming this from youtube in the kitchen via my phone. Never actually watched a film on youtube before, nor done the streaming thing. I feel like I've just entered cheat codes for the 21st century.

No
If one of the biggest benefits the 21st century has to offer us is watching films on phones, please count me out...

Sorry, perhaps I didn't make it clear. I was watching it on telly, via my phone. I mean ... Mind.... Blown.


No worries, I'm a bit of a numpty when it comes to all these hi-tech doo-dads